Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JayaBachan thumbnail
Posted: 4 months ago

I have two major site issues that I wish to discuss. 

First and foremost, I don't understand the point of being able to edit or hide our posts when the changes are not reflected when members quote our original comment/post. You can still see what we wrote or said even after we edited or hid our initial comments. It defeats the purpose. Is there any way IF can update this and make sure that if the comments are edited or hidden, then the changes are also reflected on other members who quoted our original comment?

Secondly, why can't we delete our outbox messages? From my understanding, the recipient has to delete the message for it to disappear from our outbox. WHY? 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

1. Quoting has several purposes. If I quote you to (dis)agree with you, and you are able to change the part of my post that quoted you, you have the power to make it look like I agreed with something outrageous, or I disagreed because I misread what you wrote.

Even after you edit a post, DT members can see what you originally posted. They cannot see your drafts before posting.

2. In your Outbox, you should see a selection box to the left of each message. Check the box, then scroll down to Select Operation, which you click and select Delete. Click the Go button, and the message will disappear from your Outbox.

Or, from a PM thread, click PM option at the top-right of a message, and select Opt out and Delete.

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

1. Quoting has several purposes. If I quote you to (dis)agree with you, and you are able to change the part of my post that quoted you, you have the power to make it look like I agreed with something outrageous, or I disagreed because I misread what you wrote.

Even after you edit a post, DT members can see what you originally posted. They cannot see your drafts before posting.

2. In your Outbox, you should see a selection box to the left of each message. Check the box, then scroll down to Select Operation, which you click and select Delete. Click the Go button, and the message will disappear from your Outbox.

Or, from a PM thread, click PM option at the top-right of a message, and select Opt out and Delete.

Hey, 

I understand your point regarding issues related to quoting so maybe scratch out the editing proposition BUT the hide post option is available for members for a reason. What is the point of being able to hide your post when it’s still visible for everyone to see. All because your post had been already quoted before you hid it. There’s no rationale to having this option available to begin with. 

Also I already tried to delete the outbox messages but it’s not working. I can only delete my inbox messages but outbox messages cannot be deleted until the recipient deletes from their end. 

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: JayaBachan

Hey, 

I understand your point regarding issues related to quoting so maybe scratch out the editing proposition BUT the hide post option is available for members for a reason. What is the point of being able to hide your post when it’s still visible for everyone to see. All because your post had been already quoted before you hid it. There’s no rationale to having this option available to begin with. 

Also I already tried to delete the outbox messages but it’s not working. I can only delete my inbox messages but outbox messages cannot be deleted until the recipient deletes from their end. 

Hide option was introduced on posts which are locked and members do not have the option to edit that post. Hide option is not available on active topics.

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: vijay

Hide option was introduced on posts which are locked and members do not have the option to edit that post. Hide option is not available on active topics.

Surely you understand that I’m not complaining about our ability to hide a post in an active or locked thread. I’m referring to the fact that if we want to hide our posts then the change should be reflected on every member who quoted it as well. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of hiding it to begin with. 

Also, can you please address why we cannot delete our outbox messages? 

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: JayaBachan

Surely you understand that I’m not complaining about our ability to hide a post in an active or locked thread. I’m referring to the fact that if we want to hide our posts then the change should be reflected on every member who quoted it as well. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of hiding it to begin with. 

Also, can you please address why we cannot delete our outbox messages? 

1. Thank you for your follow-up. There are technical challenges involved in ensuring that hidden posts also hides from quoted instances. We understand that this can be a complex issue due to partial quoting and historical differences in how quotes were linked to the original post. However we will be working to find a solution that balances the need for user privacy and content control. While it may not be possible to retroactively apply this change to older quoted instances, we would try to implement a solution for newer content and future posts.

In the meantime, we want to reassure you that if you ever feel that your post contains personally identifiable information or any other sensitive content that you'd like removed from quoted instances, you can reach out to us directly with the link to the said post. We will manually address your request promptly.

2. Will get the outbox delete option checked.

Regards,

Edited by vijay - 4 months ago
MochaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: firewings_diya

I think you need to contact the channel moderator. Tagging Shreya as I saw for the DT forum she is listed as the channel moderator.

I forgot about that. Thank yousmiley31

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: MochaQueen

He hasn't even implemented his own game ideas yet, wait another 10 yearssmiley36

Vijay, please feel free to to terminate her IF contract. We do not need such pessimistic team members. I will surely miss her, a little - but I'm happy to make the sacrifice. 

smiley37

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: vijay

1. Thank you for your follow-up. There are technical challenges involved in ensuring that hidden posts also hides from quoted instances. We understand that this can be a complex issue due to partial quoting and historical differences in how quotes were linked to the original post. However we will be working to find a solution that balances the need for user privacy and content control. While it may not be possible to retroactively apply this change to older quoted instances, we would try to implement a solution for newer content and future posts.

In the meantime, we want to reassure you that if you ever feel that your post contains personally identifiable information or any other sensitive content that you'd like removed from quoted instances, you can reach out to us directly with the link to the said post. We will manually address your request promptly.

2. Will get the outbox delete option checked.

Regards,

May I suggest, before we post the comment - if there was an option that people can tick, please do not quote, then a message can appear and possibly also stop someone from being able to quote. 

I know this doesn't resolve the above issue - but it gives members more control over their post. 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

The word that comes to my mind when someone says "wait another 10 years" isn't "pessimistic;" it's "determined."

When someone's intention is to annoy you with unkind words or reactions, you have three choices: (1) react, which encourages the person to provoke you again; (2) go out of your way to be kind to that person, which can come across as weak or insincere; (3) ignore the hostility and do something nice for yourself. Living well is the best revenge, but if you can live well, who needs revenge anyway?