Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 22 hours ago

Originally posted by: e1t53e

It may be over the top, but never below the belt. That’s why even those who hate their posts against their favs, don’t hate them. Please pass on the Reddit id for sure. 😊

I hope they come back too. They’re definitely missed smiley6

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 20 hours ago

Originally posted by: Autumnn

This reminds me Kjo was making movies starting from alphabet 'K' only and they all were hit. Now none of his movies are from letter K.

He should restart remaking movies names from letter K. Even Ekta. Both were obsessed with letter K.

Also Rakesh Roshan with Khoon Bhari Maang, Karan Arjun, Kolya, Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, Koi Mil Gaya, and Krrish. Although Kaabil failed despite a K-letter name.

Edited by RaniPreityAish - 20 hours ago
bollymolly thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 hours ago

Originally posted by: Clochette

It obviously isn't a complete showcasing of 'women-power' in Hindi Cinema...in which decade should we start for that???

Dangal is the movie which did that....we cannot start a ''series'' of action movies, it will turn into a complete joke...Even hollywood couldn't do that.So beyond our scope..However here and there we will get to see some power..For example even though no one rates her, Katrina did the best action scenes in TZH. But ofcourse its a bhai movie.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 hours ago

Dangal - in my view - isn't a movie about women-power...it is a movie where a father used the talent of his daughters to fullfill an own dream...(I wonder if he ever saw his daughters as females and not as 'sons in disguise'...).

Damini, to me, had been a movie about what is called woman-power... and this film had been released in 1993! Rajkumar Santoshi the director, Cineyug as producers...Meenakshi as Damini...with Rishi, Paresh, Sunny (in a role I r e a l l y liked him), Amish Puri, Aamir in a cameo...

Before, I had also watched SRK-Madhuri in Anjaam (to me, also a movie about 'women-empowerment').

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Dangal - in my view - isn't a movie about women-power...it is a movie where a father used the talent of his daughters to fullfill an own dream...(I wonder if he ever saw his daughters as females and not as 'sons in disguise'...).

Damini, to me, had been a movie about what is called woman-power... and this film had been released in 1993! Rajkumar Santoshi the director, Cineyug as producers...Meenakshi as Damini...with Rishi, Paresh, Sunny (in a role I r e a l l y liked him), Amish Puri, Aamir in a cameo...

Before, I had also watched SRK-Madhuri in Anjaam (to me, also a movie about 'women-empowerment').

I feel similarly. Dangal has the 2 daughters, but it's more about them fulfilling Aamir's dreams, against their wishes and maybe against their betterment too. They are basically his avatars.

Chak De India I felt was more balanced where it retained SRK as a protagonist and fulfilled his character arc but was also a female empowerment movie and also a patriotic film advocating for national unity. Which seems a rather timely message now more than ever considering the allegations of racism towards Jigra.

Damini also comes to mind to me as a female empowerment film. I used this as an example of anti-Animal and how the treatment of the rapists by the public in Damini is what should have been done to Animal. That being said, Damini seems mostly forgotten nowadays and what sticks out to me most is the fact that even when it was a success, what caught on in pop culture was Sunny Deol's speech and quotable lines. Somehow this women empowerment film became all about him in the public, I guess because masses could connect to him most. So I always found that a rather ironic fate for this film of all films that its legacy became all about a supporting male character played by a big star.

Anjaam also comes to mind. I don't like it as a SRK film but it's one of my favorite Madhuri films. She's very much the core of that film. Whereas I root for SRK in Darr, in Anjaam, I'm rooting for Madhuri all the way.

I also think that people assume that women centric films can only be films where the female lead is the sole lead with no big male star. This is especially done to discredit the success of female stars in big films with big male stars, as if the success of the film was entirely because of the male actor and the female actor had nothing to do with it. Rangeela has both Aamir and Urmila but it's Urmila's movie all the way. Pardes had newcomer Mahima debut with SRK but it's very much Mahima's film. SRK is overshadowed by her.

One of the reasons most SRK films appeal to women in ways other male star movies don't is because his films always give equal weight to the heroines. DDLJ is as much a Kajol movie as it is a SRK movie. KHNH is a Preity movie as much as a SRK movie. Chennai Express is a Deepika movie as much as a SRK movie. Dunki is a Taapsee movie as much as a SRK movie. Yes, SRK is always the biggest star but to claim these movies only work because of him or any male star completely discredits the equally weighty female part and actress behind it.

Rani in Bunty aur Babli is a female empowerment role even if the movie is about a male/female duo. You can have films with that message even with a male lead. I find that role speaks more to women than an actual female ensemble film like Veere Di Wedding or Crew, which are rather frivolous in substance. People shouldn't assume you can only find women empowerment in female starrer films.

That being said, maybe the best women empowerment movies are the unofficial trilogy by Tanuja Chandra: Dushman with Kajol, Sangharsh with Preity, and Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar with Ameesha. The former two films feature Sanjay and Akshay respectively but they're very much heroine-oriented films.

Clochette thumbnail

I completely agree with you about the kind of feeling a movie can give respective to the agenda a woman-role gets...what really amazes me is that SRK - through the way he plays his role - gives a lot of agenda to his leading ladies... (just a small example: in MHN, it had been his idea to kneel in front of Sushmita in her entry)...in JHMS, he made it clear that he prefered to not sleep with Sejal until she wasn't free in her decisions (I still believe that he had seen the ring she tried to hide in her hand but didn't say anything out of respect for her).

I don't know, yet, how Alia plays the role of a woman who is the one to decide...in Savi, Divya really got the agenda for her decisions (which impressed the man he contacted for help and finally made him help).

Edited by Clochette - 10 hours ago
Clochette thumbnail
Posted: 10 hours ago

Just by checking the thread I posted in, I saw that it is Smiley's one...

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Meenakshi rocked in it . From Mohini to Durga . Also Sunny , latter's weapon . In fact , it became an iconic role of him .His 'dhai kilo ka haath' , 'tarikh pe tarikh' has been reverbating from time to time ever since .

Though wonder if they have dug out (or yet to) in case any movie inspired Damini ?

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

OT :

Please write at least 4 words

Clochette thumbnail

Why look for another movie for serving as an inspiration...since the dawn of humanity, women have shown a strength that made men supporting them with their own strength. (and it should be like that...nature's 'laws'... opposites are there to become a combined force).

Savi also shows that, btw.