Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 months ago

Actually its not mithun chakravarthy to break 100 crore or 1000 crore barrier

Its dilip kumar and Madhubala mughal e azam that made first 100 crore, 1000 crore, 2000 crore may be 3000 plus crore in 1960 (adjusted to inflation of 2024)

Second it was Sholay dhramendra/Amitabh bachchan/Hema Mlaini that made next 100/1000 almost 2000 crores in 1975 (adjusted to inflation)

Imagine in 1960s the population of india was hardly 42-43 crores people hardly 1000 theatres all over india may be and a movie made 10 plus crores (means 3000 plus crores n 2024)

100 Rs in 1960 was like more than 9700 Rs plus now in 2024 so ppl can calculate if mughal e azam made like 12-13 crore than in 1960 may be more as that time no one would keep accurate money count than

So few movies already breached 100 crore 1000 crores in 60s and 70s and than mithun disco dancer or salman HAHK came

Only big citis had theatres in 1960s so if so much money was made in 1960 imagine how many ppl came from villages and small towns just to watch a movie in 1960. What must be word of mouth because no TV than. Now you can publicity in TV/paper/twitter/youtube etc

How tough it was for mughal e azam or sholay to reach so many ppl by word of mouth in 1960 or 1975

Mithun still had it better as by than DD/radio/newspaper reached all villages or small towns

I heard awara movie too was seen in many countries of world before mithun disco dancer

Sholay too would have released in abroad few countries if awara in 1950s can reach russia/europe/middle east

I am not sure if mughal e azam was released in abroad but i have heard ppl for abroad came to watch mughal e azam to india in 1960s

Imagine ppl applying visa and coming from various country's to india just to watch a movie called mughal e azam or a sholay thats a great thing

And possessing Mughal e azam or sholay VCR record or vinly record could get you entry in many country without scrutiny at airports etc including dangerous ones like Afghanistan etc i had heard from ppl travelling abroad in 1970s

So you can understand how powerful movie medium was that ppl who do not know where is india know mughal e azam or sholay in asia/europe or south america and africa where they do not even speak hindi but watched it in 60s or 70s by pirated VCR or vinyl records or casettes

In 1960s and 70s cassettes with full movies used to be sold with line to line dialogues of famous movies

So even if ppl would not watch mughal e azam they have herad entire movies on casettes or vinly records etc and you have to just name it for ppl to know you come from country where that movie was made

Like hollywood is USA you just have to say gone with wind or lawrence of arabia or titanic or rocky and all know you are from usa

Edited by myviewprem - 2 months ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by: myviewprem

Actually its not mithun chakravarthy to break 100 crore or 1000 crore barrier

Its dilip kumar and Madhubala mughal e azam that made first 100 crore, 1000 crore, 2000 crore may be 3000 plus crore in 1960 (adjusted to inflation of 2024)

Second it was Sholay dhramendra/Amitabh bachchan/Hema Mlaini that made next 100/1000 almost 2000 crores in 1975 (adjusted to inflation)

Imagine in 1960s the population of india was hardly 42-43 crores people hardly 1000 theatres all over india may be and a movie made 10 plus crores (means 3000 plus crores n 2024)

100 Rs in 1960 was like more than 9700 Rs plus now in 2024 so ppl can calculate if mughal e azam made like 12-13 crore than in 1960 may be more as that time no one would keep accurate money count than

So few movies already breached 100 crore 1000 crores in 60s and 70s and than mithun disco dancer or salman HAHK came

Only big citis had theatres in 1960s so if so much money was made in 1960 imagine how many ppl came from villages and small towns just to watch a movie in 1960. What must be word of mouth because no TV than. Now you can publicity in TV/paper/twitter/youtube etc

How tough it was for mughal e azam or sholay to reach so many ppl by word of mouth in 1960 or 1975

Mithun still had it better as by than DD/radio/newspaper reached all villages or small towns

I heard awara movie too was seen in many countries of world before mithun disco dancer

Sholay too would have released in abroad few countries if awara in 1950s can reach russia/europe/middle east

I am not sure if mughal e azam was released in abroad but i have heard ppl for abroad came to watch mughal e azam to india in 1960s

Imagine ppl applying visa and coming from various country's to india just to watch a movie called mughal e azam or a sholay thats a great thing

And possessing Mughal e azam or sholay VCR record or vinly record could get you entry in many country without scrutiny at airports etc including dangerous ones like Afghanistan etc i had heard from ppl travelling abroad in 1970s

So you can understand how powerful movie medium was that ppl who do not know where is india know mughal e azam or sholay in asia/europe or south america and africa where they do not even speak hindi but watched it in 60s or 70s by pirated VCR or vinyl records or casettes

In 1960s and 70s cassettes with full movies used to be sold with line to line dialogues of famous movies

So even if ppl would not watch mughal e azam they have herad entire movies on casettes or vinly records etc and you have to just name it for ppl to know you come from country where that movie was made

Like hollywood is USA you just have to say gone with wind or lawrence of arabia or titanic or rocky and all know you are from usa

Yes during Iron curtain period, Western movies, things were banned in Soviet Union, so BW movies esp Raj Kapoor movies were popular. Raj Kapoor used to visit USSR with his leading ladies

Bold - People used to visit India just to watch movies? From where? From other South Asian countries & Afghanistan I guess

I_M_SultaN thumbnail

Originally posted by: TotalBetty

But I also read online that it was Hum Aapke Hain Kaun

it was gross collection

Net collection its ghajni

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I read it was Khalnayak

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3