Popstar's Stellar Rise Post-Jal : Farhan Saeed

chaha_khan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

He started out as a fresh, new vocalist for the band Jal, which already had the hearts of millions soaring with its first major hit "Aadat". Known for not just maintaining the band's cute-sy image with their heartfelt lyrics and soulful tunes, this big daddy actually upped the 'wow' factor of the band's perception amongst masses and implemented this hard-core fact so deep – boybands are more than just pretty faces and branded wardrobes. True, we have so many of them right here in our country; some performing covers, majority hooked on mindless rock, and others coming up with duets and even some great music if I don't sound such a pessimist, but to actually lend your ears to his astounding vocals with an emotion so deep, it's almost as if he sings on the occasion, Farhan Saeed became a household name like fire. Cheers to a musician who says, "I'm not going anywhere," rather, "I'm here to blow you away with my music," the Daily Times team caught up with the youth's showman, where he talked about Jal, his place in the future, a fresh take on music and his fresh new track for Bollywood, "Kyun Gayee". Yes, guys! You heard that right. Farhan Saeed is our fresh new entry in Bollywood, all set to rock beyond borders.

Q. Tell us about your current projects and those in the pipeline.
A. I recently did an acoustic version of a track called "Kyun gayee" for a Punjabi movie in India. There are several projects that I have completed recently, and there are several that I'm working on. On top of that, I'm just about ready with all the deals related to my album and its release.

Q. Do you think your independence from Jal, will play a negative role in your career?
A. If that had been my opinion, I would never have made the decision to part ways with Jal. I was a part of Jal for nearly a decade, and it's a big portion of who I am. But with that said, I also wanted to discover the rest of me and explore wider horizons beyond that of my reach while still being in Jal. I don't see why it should be seen as a source of any negativity.

Q. How far do you think you've come as a musician?
A. I can't say how far, but I can surely tell you that there is a long way that I want myself to go.

Q. How excited are you with your current Bollywood projects?
A. Pretty excited. Bollywood is a completely different market altogether and I am glad to be exposed to it. I'm looking forward to getting feedback from the audiences.

Q. Where do you see yourself in another 10 years' time?
A. I would hopefully like to see myself successful in most, if not all, of my endeavours; be it music, business, related to family, or anything else for that matter. There is a lot that I want to achieve in the future.

Q. Will your fans ever see your crooning an English love song, composed by yourself?
A. There is definitely a possibility.

Q. Who have been your music inspirations right from the start?
A. Just like anyone else, I liked different artists and genres at different stages of my life, ranging from pop, to rock, to heavy metal, to classical, and the list is never-ending. But two people whose music remained consistent on my playlists were Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Jagjit Singh.

Q. What's music for you?
A. Something that is beyond the expression of words.

Q. Are Bollywood projects an escape for Pakistani musicians and artists from their own soil?
A. That's not how I would like to describe it. Bollywood and the Pakistani music industry are poles apart and there is hardly any comparison between the two, because where one caters to a local or limited market, the other provides a platform to a much bigger audience. Reaching out to a larger mass shouldn't be interpreted as 'escaping your soil'. In fact, it should be taken as something an artist is doing to bridge gaps between nations and representing and projecting his/her soil in a more positive and creative manner. If anything, it makes us artists feel a higher sense of responsibility towards our nation and a sense of ambassadorship.

Q. Tell us one thing which you've learnt the hard way in this industry.
A. Not everyone finds happiness in your success and those who do most probably have something to gain out of it.***

* 'Bollywood is a completely different market altogether and I am glad to be exposed to it'

* 'I was a part of Jal for nearly a decade, and it's a big portion of who I am. But with that said, I also wanted to discover the rest of me'

Interview by By Saira Agha