Views

Users

Frequent Posters

themasked thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Team Keerat

Posted: 1 months ago

Chapter 30-Akaal

Akaal noticed the pensive mood in the room as they got ready for bed.He looked at his wife who seemed lost in thought.

"Jabjyot,what is wrong?"

"Brar Saab, I'm having second thoughts about this marriage."

He sighed;he had been expecting something like this for a while.

"Why do you say so?",he probed her gently.

"I had a really good opinion about Gurleen at first but she has disappointed me greatly.She actually blackmailed you.This is not a good sign."

"Jabjyot,do you really blame her?We put pressure on her and she fought back.Is that wrong?"

"Brar Saab,two wrongs do not make a right. There was no reason for her to fight back. No woman from the Brar household has ever. It's a sign of prestige.If she works , aren't we giving a message that we are unable to keep her comfortable in this house? Forget about us, doesn't Jaspal himself earn more than enough for the two of them?

And I agree,you blackmailing her was wrong,but it is no reason for her to stoop to the same level.And besides,what sort of example will she be setting for her children and Prabhjyot."

Akaal pondered over his wife's words.She did have a point and for the first time in his life,he started second guessing his decision.

Would Jaspal really be happy with her or would the marriage implode like Inder's?

He had orchestrated his eldest son's marriage with the view that the two of them were compatible.It had backfired spectacularly.The circumstances of their marriage ensured that the two of them couldn't see anything beyond their own hatred.They had managed to build a fragile relationship in due course which ended up collapsing under the weight of the expectations he had of his eldest son.

Angad's birth had been the happiest moment in their lives.It was the first time he'd seen the two of them genuinely smile at each other.But as luck would have it,it was the same year Akaal had interfered with his son's hockey tryouts and everything had gone downhill since then.With Inder out of he picture,he had no choice but to raise Angad to be a heir worthy of the Brars which only alienated him from his son.Now,there was no hope for reconciliation.

Jaspal was different from his brother.He knew exactly what he wanted and always considered the bigger picture.Most importantly,unlike Inder he didn't have a rebellious streak in him.The family would benefit if his wife had a similar temperament but Gurleen was proving them otherwise.They could not hope to control her without expecting backlash.The only comforting thing about her was that she had a good head on her shoulders and a strong moral compass.

From what he had heard and observed,she had a mature outlook and always worked towards maintaining stability,avoiding unnecessary conflict;these were all traits Jabjyot valued.

And to finally clinch the matter,Jaspal was falling for her whether he acknowledged it or not.He definitely didn't want another heartbroken child in the family.

In a rare display of humility ,he knelt in front of his wife, his knees screaming in pain,and took her hand in his.

"Jabjyot, we wronged her and the backlash was expected.We can't fault her for standing up for herself.Yes,there were probably better ways to handle the situation but let's give her some slack.She's young and impulsive but she'll learn with time.We're there to guide her , aren't we?

I don't think we can find a better person to handle that son of yours."

He got the desired smile from his wife.

He continued,

"And as much as he denies it,Jaspal has already started loving her.I think it's best if we don't interfere with their relationship and help them figure out the details themselves."

"You're right Brar Saab.May god protect them.

And you should definitely get up,I can almost hear your joints creak."

He chuckled and rose,deciding to just sleep in peace for once.

themasked thumbnail

Team Keerat

Originally posted by: Amanita09

Istg your story make daarji look like a devil. But anyway nice chapter,I loved the hug between jaspal and Gurleen 

To be honest,daarji is more of a grey character than an outright villain.He'll get a redemption arc in the future.

themasked thumbnail

Team Keerat

Chapter 31-Jaspal

The hum of the music calmed him down as he sat with his legs crossed,letting the notes of the kirtan wash over him.Beside him,his bebe was close to tears as she listened to the harmonium solo which followed.It had taken a week of cajoling to convince her to come to the Gurudwara and it seemed his efforts had finally borne fruit.

They rose once the prayers were over and waited by the door as their fellow devotees left.He caught her eye and a flicker of surprise passed before she smiled at him.She saw bebe and suddenly became rather wary. He grimaced.Tensions had been running high since the debacle with the business with Bebe blaming Gurleen for retaliating and destroying their peace.He had decided to remain neutral in this situation,a decision which did not sit well with his mother.Gurleen had simply shrugged it off.Her nonchalance bothered him more than it ought to.

He wouldn't have minded an argument or even a demonstration of possessiveness.He watched her approach them with bated breath.

"Sat sri akaal Bebe,Jaspal ji."

She bent down to touch bebe's feet,refusing to meet his eyes.

"Jeethi raho puttar."

His bebe placed a hand on her head and gently caressed it.

"Puttar, I have no words to describe your music.It sounded simply divine."

She looked uncomfortable,

"Bebe,I don't think I can accept your praise. This is music for god.I can only play what he makes me.Please don't be offended."

"Oh puttar,how could I be offended?I now understand why my husband likes you so much."

"Bebe, it's time to serve food in the langar."he interjected.

"Of course, let's go",she headed towards the hall,leaving him alone with Gurleen.

He gently touched her elbow,"What's wrong?",he asked her softly.

She looked at him ,her eyes troubled.

"I don't think she likes me much.She had come to our house last week with Daarji.She took me aside to tell me how disappointed she was.I guess she wants to call this marriage off.She thinks I might ruin your life ."

"Bebe being upset is nothing new.She hates it when anyone opposes Daarji,even if they're her own children.You might be interested to hear that she slapped me for going along with Daarji."

His cheeks winced from the memory.

"I'm sorry,"she apologized.

He chuckled.

"You're missing my point .Bebe is quick to anger and usually easy to forgive.If I'm not mistaken,our civility, open affection and your humility has already endeared you to her."

She smiled for the first time and his heart leapt.

"I believe we have Prasad to serve.Shall we?",he asked her.She nodded happily.

It took them longer than usual to finish serving the food.The turnout was much greater than usual,the date being the day before lohri.It wasn't long before they ran out of food.To his pleasant surprise,bebe insisted on assisting in the kitchen and bade the two to join in as well.The cooks were more than willing to welcome the extra hands.

"Look here,am I right in assuming the two of you have never cooked for a langar before?"

Both of them glanced at each other before shaking their heads in unison.

"Listen to me carefully.There are strict rules to be followed.First if all,wash your hands properly,next tie your parna properly;,it must cover your mouth and nose and finally you may not chatter.It is preferable to utter gurbani while you prepare the food.And I know shouldn't be reminding you of this,do not taste the food.I'm keeping an eye on you Jaspal."

He spluttered in indignation while Gurleen started laughing.

"I have known you for twenty seven years puttar.So obviously,I know who stole the kada Prasad from the path room on baisakhi twenty years ago."

He merely rolled his eyes.

"Let's get to work then.Bebe ,Gurleen and I will make the rotis."

She nodded and waved them off.

They washed their hands and tied their parnas.He helped her carry the sack of flour to their working area.It took them quick work to prepare the dough.He heated the tava while she meticulously rolled balls of dough and flattened them for him to cook.Once they had a considerable amount of rotis ready,the servers collected them for distribution.

They worked in companionable silence.If he strained his ears,he could hear her sing the gurbani softly as she worked.He felt a sense of calm wash over him .All his worries regarding his strained relationships with his family, the repressed anger and frustration,his confusion surrounding the nature of his relationship with Gurleen and the cynicism usually pervading him vanished,even if it was for a short while .Babaji would take care of everything,all they had to do was stick to their chosen paths with a clear conscience and everything would fall into place on its own.

He felt grateful for the life he'd been given for the first time.Despite their flaws,his parents did try to love them the best way they could.Infact the part of the reason why his daarji had engaged in this whole blackmail debacle was that in his own twisted way he'd tried to match his son with a suitable partner.One of the reasons bebe hadn't completely dismissed Gurleen was his own admiration for her.Inder veerji and Jassi di might be god awful people,but they still cared for him,enough to try to break what they'd considered an unhappy engagement.

"That's the last one Jaspal ji."

He snapped out of his reverie.It had been a beautiful day after all.

Edited by themasked - a month ago
Amanita09 thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Team Critic

Posted: a month ago

I had to read this entire story again, πŸ«ΆπŸ«ΆπŸ’– 

Amazing update πŸ‘πŸ‘

themasked thumbnail

Team Keerat

Posted: a month ago

Originally posted by: Amanita09

I had to read this entire story again, πŸ«ΆπŸ«ΆπŸ’– 

Amazing update πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thank you ❀️❀️

Glad you liked the story 

themasked thumbnail

Team Keerat

Posted: 29 days ago

Chapter 32-Gurleen 

She entered the house stealthily hoping to avoid the family.It had become a warzone since the roka with her veerji and mother on opposite sides of the battle lines.Pammi Parjaai played referee and as for her,she avoided conflict as much as she could,much to the other's chagrin.For the first time in her life,no one wanted to hear of her neutrality;they fought about her well being and happiness.

While she appreciated the gesture,they were several years too late.The damage was done the day her mother had decided to adopt her.She respected the woman for her decisions and strengths,but never could she forgive the emotional baggage they had thrust on her.At the end of the day, she was a Babbar pawn.

Her mother had been pleased with the acquisition of Brar jewellers and had grudgingly agreed to the wedding.She had mixed feelings regarding her mother;a mess she had no desire to sort through and invite additional heartbreak.Her veerji on the other hand was furious with her and refused to talk to her which led to her parjaai's intervention,a massive row and silent treatment since then.

She crept up the stairs and was almost at the door to her room when,

"Where do you think you're going?"

It was her mother.

Grimacing,she turned around to face the older woman.

"Mummy,to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Her mother ignored her sarcasm.

"Gurleen,we need to talk.I want you in my study in five minutes."

She had no choice but to follow.

Once inside she parked herself in the comfiest armchair she could find and watched her mother pace.

"Next Tuesday is supposed to be your official induction as chairman when I announce my retirement.Why on earth did you request the board to postpone it? We've been preparing for this event for a long time."

"Mummy, let's be honest here.I'm not ready. Granted that I am qualified enough ,but I don't have any experience.That's why I suggested you postpone your retirement for a while and just announce my induction into the board as your successor.And who on earth would want a twenty four year old as a chairperson over other candidates on the board?"

Her mother sighed as she contemplated the argument.

"You don't have to worry about the board's approval.They are quite impressed with that stunt you pulled off by acquiring Brar jewellers.In fact Alka and the others are willing to guide you every step of the way when you settle in as chairperson."

"Isn't that unfair mummy?Promoting a green candidate to the post of chairperson without any credits to their name apart from shoddy blackmail.We're lucky daarji didn't attempt retaliation."

"But you did earn his approval, didn't you?Akaal Singh Brar respects very few people and genuinely cares for fewer.This is way better than threatening him into agreement.This marriage is more than a business deal to him.Which means, you'll have his protection in the future,both professionally and personally.And honestly, you've secured this company's future."

Gurleen pondered over her mother's words.Poonam Babbar never expressed her love unless she wanted something.She'd learnt that the hard way.Their last heart to heart conversation had been engineered to convince her to accept her inheritance.Her mother's praise sent the alarm bells ringing.

"What are you planning?"

To her credit,her mother at least had the decency to look chastised.

"Amrit and Pammi are planning to get a divorce after your wedding.Pammi is moving back to Amritsar while Amrit is thinking of shifting to Kolkata.A friend of his owns a publishing house and has agreed to look through one of his drafts.I am planning to go with him."

Gurleen felt numb,no matter how hard she tried ,she couldn't muster tears or anger.It felt as if her heart had stopped beating all together.

"Will you be happy?"she found herself asking.

"Yes,I think we'll be."

The dreamy smile on her mother's face was the final nail in the coffin.No matter how much her family professed to love her,she could never be a part of the happy future they had painted for themselves.

"Gurleen,please don't misunderstand me.I do love you a lot ...."

"But never as much as veerji.It's fine,I get it.",she found herself blinking away angry tears,refusing to break down in front of her mother.

"Oh Gurleen,no matter how hard we tree,we can't choose the way we love."

"Enough mummy.You may proceed with the event as planned next week.Just give me the details and I'll show up.I'll try to make the rest of your stay in Ludhiana peaceful.And one more thing,once you've gone to Kolkata,never contact me again."

Without a backward glance,she strode out of the study .

The tears never came no matter how hard she tried.Even running her mother's words in a loop inside her head left her feeling detached.Her room seemed to spin around her as she took stock of her room .Her sarangi caught her eye.It had been one of her most prized possessions, the last gift from her father.Once upon a time,she had idolized the man ,looking at him through rose tinted glasses.Since the truth about her birth mother had come out,she couldn't bare to look at her sarangi ,let alone play it.

The instrument seemed to laugh at her,as if mocking her inadequacy and her shameful legacy.She was tainted as long as her father's blood ran in her veins,it seemed to say.In a sudden surge of anger she picked up the instrument and threw it onto the ground ,before methodically destroying it.As each piece came off ,a part of her seemed to die.After what seemed like aeons, she found herself on the floor,hands bloodied,surrounded by broken shards as tears finally streamed down her face.

After that, she knew nothing ,not even registering the dull ache as her head hit the floor.

Edited by themasked - 29 days ago
themasked thumbnail

Team Keerat

You did mention that you found the other couples interesting so I thought you might like to give this fic a shot.It's kind of like a prequel to the show.

Tagging you here

fantasy1000a thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Team Critic

Originally posted by: themasked

You did mention that you found the other couples interesting so I thought you might like to give this fic a shot.It's kind of like a prequel to the show.

Tagging you here

Yes 😁

fantasy1000a thumbnail

Team Critic

Tagging you here

Jaspal and Gurleen wow 

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

fantasy1000a thumbnail

Team Critic

Tagging you here

Which ship do you in TMD

I know None was developed but which one do u think had most potential or which one intrigued you the most ??