Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 7 months ago

Originally posted by: tgota92

There are always some stakes in a revenge saga, otherwise what’s the point? Feeling conflicted about the characters while siding with Zamda, but at the same time noticing her loss of innocence and self destruction is another important thing as well. We feel for Bakhtawar because she had no hand in killing Zamda’s family but still fell victim to her revenge. We feel for Barlas despite him being a murderer because he was ready to die for it and begged forgiveness. Not everything is black and white. These stakes are needed to enjoy a revenge saga because both sides have traces of humanity. And love is commonly added to increase the stakes. So Zamda’s revenge can actually be felt when it happens. It can’t just be sweet - that’s too easy. It has to be bittersweet 😉

the writer is purposefully making us connect to characters at the Channar house even though we know they are on the hit list. We feel bad for Bakhtawar. For Bareera. For that kid Aizaz who Zamda can also kill. Apana who lost her dad and who might now also loose Barlas. These people are just bystanders and are innocent. But will be collateral damage. So I appreciate the depth given to their scenes. The conflict of emotions should be there. That’s the story. There’s no happy end to this tale after all.

I replied to your comment almost similar to this one 😂

Don't think I copy pasted anything 😛

mango.falooda thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: arfanazneen

Agreed. I was really invested in Zamda's revenge and was rooting for her. But now it's a drag. Also like you said, it's a bit weird that she doesn't feel anything after someone dies. Yes, she is on revenge but when you aren't from that background and never were into killing, it's a human tendency that you would be a little taken back. For example Badshah Khan. Even he couldn't really kill Barlas despite knowing what Barlas did..

Durre just staring and glaring doesn't help as if rest of her body is paralyzed and she can only show rage through her glare. Initially I was totally Zamda Zamda but now I don't really like her. I like Badal though 😂

I thought Duree's glaring was a deliberate choice by the director, actress as well as the writer. In the beginning, we see her cry in disgust, anger and frustration every time she has to endure sleeping with Chanar Khan. She alternated between crying for herself and crying in guilt when the first khaie# (middle teenage son) happened. But then she remembers how she lost her family and she doubles down. With every khaie, we see a flashback to her loss to remind us why she is doing this and what is driving her.

In order to survive, she has become a stone. The only thing keeps her living and enduring this household is completing revenge. I don't think she even cares if she dies at the end of it because life has no meaning.

She was kidnapped, forced to get married at gunpoint and essentially raped. She wasn't allowed to mourn for her own family because that would mean death. What would happen to a person in such circumstances? They would lose the soft heart because if they had heart, it would mean certainly death.

I agree that this was all done well by the director - the depiction of her emotions - in the FIRST half of the drama. But now in the second half ? She’s become an afterthought which has set Zamda totally in the background with the same repetitive acting as a focus. Zamda has no friends there. Nobody to confide in. All we have are her expressions and reactions to her surroundings. It HAS to deliver so that we are still with her emotionally and not just in theory.

But what has happened is that instead of the director focusing on Durre and Durre bringing some nuance or variability, they’ve resorted to flashbacks upon flashbacks. Maybe even the editor thinks how much this is needed so we still stay with Zamda. I know a lot of people are annoyed with the flashbacks but for me, they’re needed so that I can remind myself that Zamda is in the right still and I have to feel something for her. Because that sympathy is just not coming in organically now. Why? Because that sympathy card lies with characters like Badshah Khan, Bakhtawar etc now - the collateral damage of Zamda’s revenge on Channar and Duraab.

And they keep bringing back the flashback of Durre with her mom, which I thought was her weakest performed scene. Where she is crying and says “I’m your daughter” 🤦🏻‍♀️ Love the relevance of the scene but it doesn’t help when you’re gauging Zamda’s reaction/Durre’s acting choices. I feel the direction and acting in the latter half have been lazy and Zamda has kind of fallen behind a bit. Story needs to re-Center her and give Durre more scope to perform. Right now it is extremely monotonous.

You can be stone hearted all you want but that moment of hesitation, self reflection and guilt is very human and should have been kept. Then you can show her collect herself and her resolve. All of it can be shown within seconds of a scene. It’s all about the nuances which I feel Durre didn’t tap into. Because this is a fairly meaty role and is an opportunity to show a lot of range since most of her scenes are silent ones where she’s observing and planning or reacting. Durre is good enough but missing that range. Especially in scenes with better actors like Hina Bayat and Laila Wasti. It becomes hard to ignore. And I keep waiting for that Zamda comeback.

Edited by tgota92 - 7 months ago

Originally posted by: arfanazneen

I replied to your comment almost similar to this one 😂

Don't think I copy pasted anything 😛

lol it’s completely alright. Great minds think alike, I guess? 😂

Decr in trp show flashbacks really ruined the show for many…sukoon and khaie getting almost same trp now🫠

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4QxpJoAzyV/?igsh=MXFpMDdya2Z6MHR4Yw==

Edited by 23emilly - 7 months ago
mango.falooda thumbnail

Originally posted by: tgota92

I agree that this was all done well by the director - the depiction of her emotions - in the FIRST half of the drama. But now in the second half ? She’s become an afterthought which has set Zamda totally in the background with the same repetitive acting as a focus. Zamda has no friends there. Nobody to confide in. All we have are her expressions and reactions to her surroundings. It HAS to deliver so that we are still with her emotionally and not just in theory.

But what has happened is that instead of the director focusing on Durre and Durre bringing some nuance or variability, they’ve resorted to flashbacks upon flashbacks. Maybe even the editor thinks how much this is needed so we still stay with Zamda. I know a lot of people are annoyed with the flashbacks but for me, they’re needed so that I can remind myself that Zamda is in the right still and I have to feel something for her. Because that sympathy is just not coming in organically now. Why? Because that sympathy card lies with characters like Badshah Khan, Bakhtawar etc now - the collateral damage of Zamda’s revenge on Channar and Duraab.

And they keep bringing back the flashback of Durre with her mom, which I thought was her weakest performed scene. Where she is crying and says “I’m your daughter” 🤦🏻‍♀️ Love the relevance of the scene but it doesn’t help when you’re gauging Zamda’s reaction/Durre’s acting choices. I feel the direction and acting in the latter half have been lazy and Zamda has kind of fallen behind a bit. Story needs to re-Center her and give Durre more scope to perform. Right now it is extremely monotonous.

You can be stone hearted all you want but that moment of hesitation, self reflection and guilt is very human and should have been kept. Then you can show her collect herself and her resolve. All of it can be shown within seconds of a scene. It’s all about the nuances which I feel Durre didn’t tap into. Because this is a fairly meaty role and is an opportunity to show a lot of range since most of her scenes are silent ones where she’s observing and planning or reacting. Durre is good enough but missing that range. Especially in scenes with better actors like Hina Bayat and Laila Wasti. It becomes hard to ignore. And I keep waiting for that Zamda comeback.

so I agree in parts and disagree in some. If you have seen my posts, you would know I have zero sympathy for anyone in the evil old man's family and I am just as bloodthirsty as Zamda. I am all for khaie! smiley37

That said, I do agree that these nuances may be a bit beyond Durre's capability and she is surrounded by very powerful actors with years of experience who know their craft. The last drama I saw her was in the very awful Kaisi Teri Khudgarzi and I was pulling out my hair at the inane Stockhom syndrome romance.

Compared to that, she is doing a good job here. Can she do better? 100%. The role calls for her to display a range of emotions through her eyes and facial expressions alone. Given the actress' limitations, the director could have chosen to do a voiceover for those scenes where she gets to voice her internal thoughts and that would have been more effective.

Acting wise, both Badal and Muscle man have showed their resolve, anger and volatility when it comes to Khaie. Zamda falls in the same category but Durre doesn't have the ability to show those same depth of the feelings that these men have expressed.

Do I think she is struggling with the choice of Khaie? No, I don't. I think Zamda has made her choice to be consumed by the fire of revenge and she has zero qualms just as Badal and muscle man. Why? Because her life ended on her wedding day when her family was murdered and destroyed. She too died in some ways that way. So I don't find it weird that there is no self reflection or guilt. The only reason she is alive and she tolerates the presence of all these people is khaie.

Edited by mango.falooda - 7 months ago

I’ve only seen the last two posts you made so I was basing my response on that 😬

I do agree 100% with you on her being okay with the Khaie. Logically and in theory I’m with her. Absolutely. BUT… it’s fiction. It’s a character. I need to also feel emotionally connected with her. Which is where Zamda and Durre are lacking now. There’s a disconnect 🤷‍♀️

that’s why I said it’s all good in theory n all, but emotionally speaking, I don’t feel connected to her anymore. People were complaining about the flashbacks and I was like, if they take away that too, we have no way of being inside her head 😂

Hard agree on Durre’s limitations as an actor. She’s pulling it off in Ishq Murshid a bit better because role isn’t as demanding as Zamda. And in Zamda the flaws are just so obvious. It doesn’t help at all that her scenes are with better actors 🤦🏻‍♀️ So she’s not bad per se, but not great either. And this role needed someone great.

Originally posted by: mango.falooda

I thought Duree's glaring was a deliberate choice by the director, actress as well as the writer. In the beginning, we see her cry in disgust, anger and frustration every time she has to endure sleeping with Chanar Khan. She alternated between crying for herself and crying in guilt when the first khaie# (middle teenage son) happened. But then she remembers how she lost her family and she doubles down. With every khaie, we see a flashback to her loss to remind us why she is doing this and what is driving her.

In order to survive, she has become a stone. The only thing keeps her living and enduring this household is completing revenge. I don't think she even cares if she dies at the end of it because life has no meaning.

She was kidnapped, forced to get married at gunpoint and essentially raped. She wasn't allowed to mourn for her own family because that would mean death. What would happen to a person in such circumstances? They would lose the soft heart because if they had heart, it would mean certainly death.

people downplay her trauma, apart from witnessing her family being slaughtered and mum turning insane with grief, she’s also getting raped every day and having to live with her tormenters .. you can’t expect a person who has been through so much to have a balanced outlook in life..

no male in that family is innocent, they are benefitting from all the pain and suffering the family has caused to countless others.. they are just as guilty .. as far as Pamir and his mum are concerned they are not totally innocent either, they knew about what happened to Zamda but they never once showed compassion towards her suffering.. they were happy to come back trusting the family won’t turn against them .. Pamir grew up overseas but he went back to his barbaric family to get hitched .. if he had any humanity/morality or sense he would have stayed away from a family like that and not turn a blind eye to their atrocities..

mango.falooda thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreebsMumFanS2

people downplay her trauma, apart from witnessing her family being slaughtered and mum turning insane with grief, she’s also getting raped every day and having to live with her tormenters .. you can’t expect a person who has been through so much to have a balanced outlook in life..

no male in that family is innocent, they are benefitting from all the pain and suffering the family has caused to countless others.. they are just as guilty .. as far as Pamir and his mum are concerned they are not totally innocent either, they knew about what happened to Zamda but they never once showed compassion towards her suffering.. they were happy to come back trusting the family won’t turn against them .. Pamir grew up overseas but he went back to his barbaric family to get hitched .. if he had any humanity/morality or sense he would have stayed away from a family like that and not turn a blind eye to their atrocities..

I think the writer could have included more scenes in the latter half to show how difficult it is for Zamda to live in that house. Barlas and muscle man show great depth of feeling in the few scenes they have and we can see how continuously traumatized they are by what happened -- to the point where they don't care if they live or die as long as they get to complete revenge.

They could have shown Zamda looking at the mirror and doing a quiet scream or just crying and missing her family when she is alone -- lots of words to remind the audience that this family are a vile set of human beings. If she had seen a private Zamda vs a public Zamda, the audience would have been able to feel more for her plight and how she is effectively hiding her emotions to complete her revenge. Rather than rely on flashbacks, the director should have shown Zamda's feelings. Perhaps then, people would not feel so bad for this terrible family.

lol if everyone in that family is just plain evil including Bakhtawar and Pamir, then the same categorisation should apply to Zamda’s family for being the dumbest people on earth to move back into the area with said evil family and expect them to just “believe them and move on” - her father actually thought the likes of Duraab would believe Zamda’s dad has forgiven them and move on? Was he really that dumb? And then not contacting them at all and sneaking a Zamda wedding right under this evil family’s nose? What was he thinking? That he’s talking to a forgiving family ?

But that’s the thing right. You can’t just place everyone in one category. There will be no story, no conflict of emotion, nothing. Zamda’s family was innocent and sweet but seriously - her dad put his entire family in grave danger by bringing them with him and expecting peace with Duraab Khan. He could have just come alone at first and tested the waters but he made the dumb decision to bring everyone. So he wasn’t perfect either.

Likewise, not everyone in Channar’s family is as evil as Channar and his dad. They’re the worst. They made terrible decisions. I’ll even put Gul Wareen in this category because of what she did with Barrera. And then you have complicit people who go along with everything like Gulaab and Badshah. They’re the followers. And then you have the bystanders who are just stuck coz they’re part of his psycho family like Bakhtawar and Pamir. You can’t place the latter into the same category as the likes of Duraab and Channar. Otherwise, the story would be very boring and black and white. Even the revenge ladder Zamda is climbing to get to the most evil ones, she’s following a pattern - going from an underage kid to the big bad.

So not downplaying her trauma at all. I just don’t think revenge stories are basic. I want to see blood too, but I want emotional investment and stakes so I appreciate the grey areas the show gives me.