The actors I worked with are romancing 20 yr olds : Manisha Koirala

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 years ago
Sanju actor Manisha Koirala: The actors that I worked with are romancing 20-year-olds but it's just mother
DNA Web Team | Updated: Jun 28, 2018, 02:21 PM IST
Manisha Koirala opens up on the age disparity in Bollywood
Manisha Koirala opens up on the age disparity in Bollywood

Manisha Koirala essays the role of Sanjay Dutt's mother Nargis Dutt in Ranbir Kapoor starrer 'Sanju'
'90s sweetheart Manisha Koirala, 47, is back in action and is enjoying her second innings in Bollywood. With 'Dear Maaya', big releases like 'Sanju' (where she essays the role of Sanjay Dutt's mother Nargis Dutt), 'Prashthaanam' in pipeline and the critical acclaim that she has received for the portrayal of an unfaithful wife in Netflix's anthology film 'Lust Stories'; the veteran actress has truly proved that it's never too late to start afresh.
While Manisha Koirala, who has previously given huge hits with Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan, is getting to play great characters, the fact that female actors above 40 are still being offered 'mother' roles, baffles her.
When asked to comment on the disparity in the way Hindi film industry tackles female and male actors' age, Manisha told BollywoodLife, "Some of us started our families and got slightly deviated and came back to work now. It has taken a little bit of adjustment and time. For male actors, the focus has been continuously acting. The other factor is... well I don't know. Honestly speaking, the actors that I worked with are romancing 20-year-olds now but suddenly when you cross 40, for a woman, it's a mother's role."
"This is something I am not able to accept or understand. But maybe in times to come, more content for females beyond the '40s as well will be made. I guess that will take time and maybe eventually it will change," she added.
She admitted that the web space is more inclusive when it comes to telling stories about middle-aged women. While talking about her look in 'Lust Stories', she told the website, "...I was very apprehensive about how I will look. But the amazing thing about today's time is nobody once mentioned oh Manisha, your wrinkles are showing'. And even if somebody did, others would be So what?' It's the age... the character. This is the magic of today. They accept. There is more inclusiveness. At least that's a start."
Her battle with cancer, a few career mistakes and a divorce seem to have enabled her to take risks and choose characters that acually speak to the audience. Here's hoping that we get to see more of this wonderful talent in the near future.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

well she is absolutely right. 
tired of seeing the likes of sha, amih, salmun saif romancing girls in dtheir 20s and early 30s despite being 20+/30+ years olde rthan them. 

oir the liks of anil romaning his own daughter in ekltdtal ðŸ¤¢
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
thats the sad reality of bollywood...
TrustNo1 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Who's stopping her from romancing 20 year olds? No one.  Edited by TrustNo1 - 5 years ago
Hippopotamus160 thumbnail
true
marriage and pregnancy has a role to an extent

after marriage...

- men sort of see women as belonging to someone else
- women on the other hand still keep liking married men

pregnancy

- women get busy with pregnancy and kids
- men get free and busy while women are busy with kids

post pregnancy

- not all but lot of woman gain weight, loose motivation and expand in all dimensions
- men still keep fight..look at anil kapoor

now u cannot do away with pregnancy as i mean it is the way it is...complain to nature/God/randomness for this...lol

But they can remain fit and look stunning and get good roles

Men too adjust..its not like salman is playing 20 year old now..he plays 40 year old

so answer is somewhere in the middle

women need to remain fit and sexy in this profession

like kae abdo
Rani 
Madhuri
Kajol 
Aishwarya 
Over 40
None of them doing mother roles.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: --L--

Rani 

Madhuri
Kajol 
Aishwarya 
Over 40
None of them doing mother roles.

Erm Rani, Kajol and Ash are barely making films these days. Madhuri played a mom in Bucket List. 

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Erm Rani, Kajol and Ash are barely making films these days. Madhuri played a mom in Bucket List. 

Rani , kajol do project as per their wish ,they themselves have restricted their movies same with Ash.
Well Aamir played father in dangal and talash.

They used to do romance films with Khan's and Kumar's .
Neither they and heroines fit in those roles anymore.

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Society is much more ageist towards women than men
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Sheila_jawaan

well she is absolutely right. 

tired of seeing the likes of sha, amih, salmun saif romancing girls in dtheir 20s and early 30s despite being 20+/30+ years olde rthan them. 

oir the liks of anil romaning his own daughter in ekltdtal ðŸ¤¢

@bold is that true ðŸ˜²