Tamil movie review - Manmadhan Ambu..

MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
Manmadhan Ambu - Movie Review
Returning to Manmadhan Ambu, it narrates the story of three persons: Major Mannar (Kamal Haasan), industrialist Madhan Gopal (Madhavan) and Ambujakshi (Trisha). In addition, Sangeetha plays the role of Deepa (divorcee with two children), Ambujakshi's close friend. Ramesh Arvind is Mannar's close friend suffering from cancer. Then there is Oviya, Madhan's cousin.

Madhan is deeply and madly in love with actress Ambujakshi but he always suspects her, which eventually ends in quarrels. When Ambujakshi goes abroad (Paris) to enjoy her vacation, Madhan gets irritated and approaches private detective Mannar to spy on her. Mannar accepts the job on one condition: Madhan has to take care of the medical expenses of Rajan (Ramesh Arvind). Meanwhile, Deepa also goes to Paris with her children. And with that, the hilarious joy ride begins!

The film also has some interesting flashbacks like Madhan's accident, Mannar's commando life and marriage! The film gets even more hilarious when Mannar hatches a conspiracy against Madhan.

When it comes to performances, who can be better than the legendary Kamal? Yes, it's Kamal all the way; like an all-rounder he is right there in all departments. His witty one liners, dances and stunts are a treat for the audience. Manmadhan Ambu is definitely a treat for all Kamal fans. Madhavan is not too far behind. He has played a complex character with ease. He has once again proved his versatility and acting brilliance. Pretty lass Trisha has dubbed in her own voice in the film. Her subtle emotions need special mention! So get ready to see a new Trisha.

Sangeetha has given her best and she fits the bill perfectly. Ramesh Arvind, Urvashi, Kitty, Usha Uthup, Maju Pillai, Oviya and Kunjan have done their parts well. Suriya make a special appearance in a song sequence with Trisha. We salute producer Udhayanidhi Stalin for his wonderful efforts! As Kamal rightly said, the star cruise plays a very prominent role in the film.

Above all, it's director K.S. Ravikumar's racy screenplay that makes the film more interesting. He has ensured that fans are not disappointed all through. Music by Devi Sri Prasad is apt and perfect, with the song 'Neelavaanam' standing out. Cinematography by Manush Nandan is rich and sophisticated and Shaan Mohammed's editing is neat and sleek.

Overall, Manmadhan Ambu is a perfect Christmas treat! So don't miss this joyride!

Source : Gallata..
Ohkkk i was waiting for this from a long long time... the review seems good and i hope i enjoy it.. Trisha has dubbed for herself.. thnk God.. Keep it up Trish...Maddy already looked sooo gud in the promos..im very excitedd..😳 anybody who has seen the movie please provide ur feedback..

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Roshni. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This is so interesting!!

I want to watch the movie just for the song in which Surya appeared! ☺️ and of course those one-liners! I absolutely adored them in panchathanthiram!!! πŸ˜ƒ
pokkiri26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Review- Manmadhan Ambu
Movie
Manmadhan Ambu
Director
KS Ravikumar
Producer
Red Giant Movies
Music
Devi Sri Prasad
Cast
Kamal Haasan, Madhavan, Trisha, Sangeetha, Urvashi

By Moviebuzz
Manmadhan Ambu is a triumph of honest script writing. No choreographed songs, kuthu numbers, no skin show, no item girl, no villain or punch line spewing etc. Kamal Haasan's script with some smart writing, brilliant casting, a designer look and great one-liners makes it a perfect family entertainer for the holiday season.

Ambujakshi alias Nisha (Trisha) is the numero uno heroine in Tamil cinema. She is in love with Madanagopal (Madhavan), a rich tycoon who is basically a Mama's (Usha Uthup) boy. Madanagopal and his mom visit Ambu on the sets of a song picturisation in Kodaikanal with top hero Suriya (playing a cameo), and he suspects that she is two- timing him. This leads to an accident as Ambu on the driver's seat of Madan's new Hummer, almost bangs into a another car coming from the opposite side.

The couple has a bitter fight and an emotionally disturbed Nisha calls Madan a 'Sandeha Prani' (suspicious guy) and part. To take off from pressures of work and personal worries Ambu decides to go on a European cruise with childhood friend Deepa (Sangeetha) who is a divorcee with two kids. Meanwhile Madan who is still madly in love with Ambu arranges a private detective Major Mannar (Kamal Haasan) to keep an eye on her and give him a regular update on whom she meets during her holiday. All this leads to a hilarious situation, with a dramatic twist in the climax.

Kamal Haasan script scores big time, as the film works due to characterization and commercial packaging done in a different style by KS Ravikumar. From scene one, you are drawn into each characters life, and when you put them all together on a cruise it crackles with human emotions and entertainment.

Remarkable casting has resulted in some fine performances by all players. The film boasts the best performance you will see by an ensemble cast in a long time, and that includes even the bit players Each and every character including the two small kids are perfect.

Trisha's character as movie star Nisha sans make up is the pivot around which the film revolves. Be it her discomfort on the sets when her lover drops in, or her outburst over the phone, she is superb. She sprinkles her lines with confidence and emerges as one of the film's most lovable characters.

Armed with the film's best-written role as Madanagopal, Madhavan is the scene stealer. His drunken scenes which brings out his hidden fears and suspicion is superb. Sangeetha as Deepa the divorcee who says "the matrimony was bad but the alimony was good" nails the practical woman of today who is frank and honest about her life.

Malayalam actors Kunjan and Manju Pillai as the wannabe producers after Nisha's dates and Urvashi as the hapless wife who is fighting a lone battle by the side of her husband in the hospital are fantastic.

And finally the name is Kamal Haasan. Watch him meld effortlessly from casual to utter seriousness. His compelling, effortless portrayal of Major Mannar is the highlight. The star makes an appearance 22 minutes after the start and adds those little touches that make all the difference especially the scenes in which he speaks to Urvashi over the phone, and when he talks about his French wife who met with a sad end.

Technically the film is top class. Two new boys- cinematographer Manush Nandan and editor Shan Mohammed make a big impression. Manush camerawork give it a fresh tangy look, while editing is crisp. The film moves at a rapid pace with never a dull moment in the 2 hour 32 minutes running time.

Sync sound has been used, which has enhanced not only the narration but also gives it a real feel as though you were there on the ship with the characters. Devi Prasad's music especially Neela Vaanam... told in a rewind manner, is innovative. The picturisation of Thagudu Thagudu.. comes at the right time and is different.

Constructed from a terrific script that's strong on plot and packed with crackling dialogue, Manmadhan Ambu is consistently engaging. Cleverly written and sharply cast, it is a film that delivers hearty laughs. Don't miss it. It is one of those rare Tamil films that's funny and smart at the same time!

What ever else you do this weekend, don't miss this film.

Verdict: Excellent

ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Hhmm inetersting..... so does it mean that major would fall in love with the actres and MAdhan's ambu backfires himπŸ˜†Waiting for the movie..
migan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanksf or posting it here. I am looking forward to this movie. Hope it is not another Anbe Sivam.
Shemmo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the Reviews!!!😊

Me too want to see that song were Surya appears!!...Waiting for the movie too!!
sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Pulwasha for posting this.
Ok my short review here.
Honestly the movie was ok, v simple storyline, nth much, and very slow paced and draggy so it fails to keep u engaged. But the 2nd half was hilarious, when they started plotting against madan, like the review said. I cried laughing. The first few minutes with Surya's dance and the convo between Surya, Trisha and Maddy was too cute. And Maddy was reallyyyy cute throughout the movie even when he was angry or drunk, really enjoyed his parts. I'm glad Trisha used her own voice, though it seemed forced out at times. Overall ok movie. :)
Edited by khpriya - 13 years ago
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Whoot whoot, I get to watch this on theatre yet again this coming sunday πŸ₯³
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I want to see this movie. It sounds very good and entertaining!
Roshni. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Here I go with my rantings about the movie! It may not match with the reviews given, so this purely purely my point of view!!

FIRST HALF: Waiting to see the story move ahead.
SECOND HALF: Waiting for story to end!

YAYs!!

• Suriya! ☺️ He might not have been in the movie but still, the only moment, I enjoyed to the core. (Loved the conference call scene and Maddy's behaviour!)
  • Sangeeta's one liners
  • Madhavan's attitude and his acting (It has improved very vastly) I must agree that he did the role with an ease.
  • Deepa(Sangeeta)'s son Vish, he is the most amazing character in the first half, he is like the show stealer.
  • The bull scene was pretty good...It was kind of funny.

NO's!!

• The story wasn't leading anywhere.
  • Ramesh Aravind and Oorvashi's character could have been there for longer. (Oh I wouldn't comment on the acting, it was brilliant)
  • It was too vague as it just depicted that Ambu fell for Major just because she killed his wife, it was really not portrayed as love, it looked as sympathy.
  • Madhavan, I thought, had no role except for drinking, it would have been better if he was shown doing something.
  • Kamal's kavidhai- I wish, I really I wish I could understand what was happening there!
  • Ambu's character - Highly ambiguous! What was she trying to do? As soon as she confesses to Major that she killed his wife, she fell in love? (My bad! May be I'm trying to find logic in all these things!πŸ˜•)
  • In every movie, Climax would be the highlight of the movie, but for me the climax was killed!
  • Usha Uthup proved that she could act, but her character was proved a waste with just nothing to do at all 😳
  • Same thing with Sunanda, if at all they had to introduce her, then they could have given her some role!!
  • Well, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun,so writing it this way πŸ˜‰ but honestly, when Madhan does suspect for each and every tiny minuscule matter, and wants a wife according to his wishes, he could have married someone else, why Deepa(sangeeta) who has two kids? And moreover how did Deepa accept it when she was against marriage! πŸ˜•

Well, I think I went with loads of expectations, but have to say I was sorely disappointed sans comedy in the last part!! 😳

Let me hear your reviews too πŸ˜ƒ