Legendary Om Puri gets candid with Star Box Office

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Legendary Om Puri gets candid with SBO

The versatile Om Puri received the Lifetime Achievement Award on February 28, 2009 for his contribution to Indian art and commercial cinema at 54th Filmfare Awards. We caught up with the super talented actor who humbly spoke about his success and journey in Bollywood.

Talking about the Filmfare award, Puri says, "I was thrilled and excited when I heard my name being called. It's truly an honour to get recognition and appreciation for my contribution to cinema. This is special because it is something which does not happen overnight. As an actor, it takes a lot of time and hard work to prove your talents."

According to Puri, his unusual look hampered his career in the movie industry at first. He says, "I don't have great looks like other actors. In fact, initially I had problems in Bollywood because of the way I looked. But once I gained recognition for my work there was no looking back. It's been a sensational journey."

Puri talks about his preferences when it comes to movies, saying, "I love doing art cinema but sometimes I get offers to do comedy as well. I always look into my character and see what kind of work people would expect from me. That way, I have the ability to execute my roles. When you become an establish actor, people demand something fresh with your performance each time. That challenges me to perform my best."

And the actor has no regrets when it comes to his career. "It's been a spectacular journey from Ambala (Punjab) to the city of Mumbai. I've passed through the ups and down that everyone faces in their journey and today I am happy where I am. I am looking forward to entertaining through my acting in the future too," concludes Puri.
Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090303_17

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Om Puri is a legend indeed! he rises above the roles and lines given to him...especially in some of the crappy comedies he has done recently....
For me he outclassed every actor with 2 performances
1) Tamas- a teleserial by Govind Nihlani
2) Sadgati- another small TV film by Satyajit Ray....
his performances there were just out of the world!
hope he will continue to do good work....
an outstanding scene of his in the recent Delhi- 6 where he tries to outdo his estranged brother in tthe jagran singing...😆...a gem of a scene!
TallyHo thumbnail
Giving this thread another chance on a forum preoccupied with Sonam v Deepika!😆😉
Om Puri also has an awesome voice...he was the narrator in a serial called "Bharat ek Khoj"...also for "Mangal pandey"
220680 thumbnail
^^ haha.. some things will never change around here.

I love Om Puri, he's fantastic and definitely deserved the award! He rocked in SIK. 😉(the last movie I saw of him)
Edited by Ms.GoodMorning - 15 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail
Was Om Puri getting emotional when Big B spoke about him or was I imagining it?😕
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Om puri was emotional, you can clearly see when both hugged.
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: TallyHo

Giving this thread another chance on a forum preoccupied with Sonam v Deepika!😆😉

Om Puri also has an awesome voice...he was the narrator in a serial called "Bharat ek Khoj"...also for "Mangal pandey"

😆😆 I was surprised to see 6 replies to this post!!

Yes he did get emotional!! I wish they would honor these legends in the proper manner by showing clips of movies they have performed in and some of their best scenes and stuff!! I think this is what I miss in desi award shows...the focus on the movies, the performances!! There always seems to be too much focus on the gossips!!!
Edited by admail_bd - 15 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail

Originally posted by: admail_bd

😆😆 I was surprised to see 6 replies to this post!!

Yes he did get emotional!! I wish they would honor these legends in the proper manner by showing clips of movies they have performed in and some of their best scenes and stuff!! I think this is what I miss in desi award shows...the focus on the movies, the performances!! There always seems to be too much focus on the gossips!!!

@ 6 replies...3 of those are from yours truly...😛😆
Ya they should have shown some of his performance clips...maybe the "future superstars"😉 could take a leaf from his book of acting...would be better than the blessings they were seeking by doing PP for everyone!😆
What Bollywood and the awards needs ASAP is a Quality control board...more urgently needed than a Censor board!😳
HariOm thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
A well deserved recognition!
He was so overwhelmed with emotions.. Glad AB spoke nicely about him...