Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 months ago

Originally posted by: Filmistan

Bollywood and Indian Cinema crave Western validation. Those interviews RRR team gave during Oscar season was embarrassing. Instead of standing firm and taking pride in India's own cinematic aesthetic, they wanted to fit in the Western mould so bad. They were worshipping Hollywood and the Oscars.

Iranian Cinema is accepted in the West because most filmmakers there cater to European sensibility. South Korean cinema is accepted in the West as S.Korea is basically an American vassal.

Everytime someone mentions Indian Cinema, Westerners comment about the song and dance. And, Indian filmmakers start blushing—talking about it like it's wrong.

There was a time when KJo tried chumming up with these Europe-obsessed Indian filmmakers. But good for him, he realized the type of cinema he wanted to make. And, this is a total anglophile KJo we're talking about who even wanted half-white kids.

You just observe the likes of Masand and Anupama. Whenever talking about or interviewing a star or a filmmaker from the West, they're so giddy.

India has enough muscle to create an ecosphere of cinema for the global south. But filmmakers, journalists, and all here are so obsessed with Western validation. Bollywood starkids pride themselves on the fact that they can't speak fluent Hindi!

Martin Scorsese has always talked about his Catholic roots and how it has influenced his filmmaking. But God forbid, a Rajamouli, he has to make sure that he lets them know that he's not a Hindu, he's a secular, when promoting his movie in the West.

This absurd inferiority complex amongst the elites of Indian Cinema is quite baffling. Forever the colonized attitude.

Still trying to understand what Rajamouli’s comment on being secular gotta do with Hinduism and inferority complex and rejecting Indian roots ? smiley5

As a complete BW lover, even I think many of the BW movie making aspects, their screenplay, technology, camera work are superior in general and it’s time BW adapts to some of those as well. The superiority complex of thinking BW knows best is a put off too, and I am glad most BW or regional GREAT filmmakers dont have that attitude and have an open mind to continuously learn/adapt from the west as well.

Dreading the day an artist (from any aspect) carrying such weight to his/her own work and refuses to grow or learn from anything better.

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Fashionista Circle

Thing is that art cinema lovers don’t need to look down on mainstream song and dance and mushy cinema..I’m sorry but I have seen the snooty attitude that Europeans have that they make some very deep cinema..and they share memes mocking Indian songs etc..and call it colourful nuisance and a joke and whatever..their cinema maybe winning awards but it’s boring to death..sometimes all I want is a larger than life setting with music, song, dance and hope..escapist cinema..I really don’t want to watch poverty p*** and reality on screen all the time..West loves to mock Indian cinema and it’s about time we stand up for Bollywood..specially when Hollywood has been making shit content ..and some of our indie directors think that mocking mushy movies and talking about their arty work is the way to be..there was another female director on the panel..who put across her point in a very sensible manner that one needn’t look down on commercial cinema or stars and keep talking about art cinema being the best..anyone can make whatever they like..I haven’t watched a lot of deep cinema..except some Oscar winning movies here and there and Korean cinema..but hey I’ll defend BW Movies to death..they bring a smile to my face..and I love my song and dance..Thank you!

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaxMayfield

Thing is that art cinema lovers don’t need to look down on mainstream song and dance and mushy cinema..I’m sorry but I have seen the snooty attitude that Europeans have that they make some very deep cinema..and they share memes mocking Indian songs etc..and call it colourful nuisance and a joke and whatever..their cinema maybe winning awards but it’s boring to death..sometimes all I want is a larger than life setting with music, song, dance and hope..escapist cinema..I really don’t want to watch poverty p*** and reality on screen all the time..West loves to mock Indian cinema and it’s about time we stand up for Bollywood..specially when Hollywood has been making shit content ..and some of our indie directors think that mocking mushy movies and talking about their arty work is the way to be..there was another female director on the panel..who put across her point in a very sensible manner that one needn’t look down on commercial cinema or stars and keep talking about art cinema being the best..anyone can make whatever they like..I haven’t watched a lot of deep cinema..except some Oscar winning movies here and there and Korean cinema..but hey I’ll defend BW Movies to death..they bring a smile to my face..and I love my song and dance..Thank you!

What about Iranian cinema ?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Petrichor80

I think Rani should strongly consider joining politics in the future. She will fit well with her attitude of best in the world, and no improvement needed smiley20

It honestly sounds like the type of thing Kangana would say. I would expect this from her but not from Rani. Now I know better.

Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

Still trying to understand what Rajamouli’s comment on being secular gotta do with Hinduism and inferority complex and rejecting Indian roots ? smiley5

As a complete BW lover, even I think many of the BW movie making aspects, their screenplay, technology, camera work are superior in general and it’s time BW adapts to some of those as well. The superiority complex of thinking BW knows best is a put off too, and I am glad most BW or regional GREAT filmmakers dont have that attitude and have an open mind to continuously learn/adapt from the west as well.

Dreading the day an artist (from any aspect) carrying such weight to his/her own work and refuses to grow or learn from anything better.

Such courtesy is never extended to Indian minorities. Unn sabko duniya bhar mein secularism ka bhar dhona padta hai to prove that they are good Indians. Par if Rajmouli says he is secular toh he's not proud in Indian aesthetics or whatever.

God forbid, the meltdown some sections would have if a Rehman openly said that he were inspired by Sufi traditions on an international stage. There was section which had meltdowns when Rajmouli said RRR is a Telugu film. As if calling it a Telugu film instead of Bollywood makes it non-Indian.

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

Because you have to be honest to your roots. Mughal-E-Azam was a story of the Mughal era with Mughal sensibility. Someone wouldn't have to justify it, right? Just own it. That's what I'm saying.

Someone mentioned Rahman and Sufism, that's exactly it. Rahman is proud of his Sufi aesthetics. Rajamouli didn't have to go out of the way to talk about his secularism. He can be one, but he's a filmmaker who makes movies based on Hindu mythos and symbols.

India isn't just a country with a monolithic culture/language. It's diverse, moreso than any other country in the world.

But it's also the truth that most Indians crave validation of the West. So, it's kinda like, "sure I make these movies based on my culture, etc., but I'm a secular, okay? Will you accept me now?"

I don't know why it's shocking for some of ya'all but there's a really snooty attitude against Indian Cinema that a lot of Western folks harbor like MaxMayfield mentioned.

Why is this shocking, btw? Look at our own elites in Bollywood, they coversate mostly in English. Saif and Karan thought they were being humorous when they didn't understand the term "putrmoha" in KwK.

That's all I'm saying.

Indian Cinema isn't accepted the same way as Korean, Iranian, or Japanese Cinemas as they're closer to home for Western folks than Indian Cinema.

Take a look at Tarantino even. He supports cinema worldwide but he's rarely spoken about Indian Cinema in the same light. There is this attitude of "other-ness" against Indian Cinema. That's something we can't deny. It has nothing to do with Hindus, Christians, or Islam. I don't know why Indians love to make it about religion. Rajamouli was an example. If Rahman would have done that, I'd have said the same.

Despite knowing how Bollywood elites love West and Western stars, why are we acting totally surprised here?

Whether it's the Puranas, Sufism/Islamic aesthetics, or the Gnostics, when you make something in India, in an Indian language, own it. Be proud of your tradition.

The RRR team were fanboying so hard during Oscar season, it was embarrassing. Calling Hollywood the "mecca of cinema" and whatnot. Jeez man.

Did Bong-Joon Ho act like that during Parasite? He didn't. He was a proud representative of South Korea. He was respectful but also firm.

MaxMayfield thumbnail

Fashionista Circle

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

What about Iranian cinema ?

haven’t watched anything of it..smiley36 Have you?
MaxMayfield thumbnail

Fashionista Circle

Originally posted by: Filmistan

But it's also the truth that most Indians crave validation of the West. So, it's kinda like, "sure I make these movies based on my culture, etc., but I'm a secular, okay? Will you accept me now?"

I don't know why it's shocking for some of ya'all but there's a really snooty attitude against Indian Cinema that a lot of Western folks harbor like MaxMayfield mentioned.

Indian Cinema isn't accepted the same way as Korean, Iranian, or Japanese Cinemas as they're closer to home for Western folks than Indian Cinema.

Take a look at Tarantino even. He supports cinema worldwide but he's rarely spoken about Indian Cinema in the same light. There is this attitude of "other-ness" against Indian Cinema. That's something we can't deny. It has nothing to do with Hindus, Christians, or Islam. I don't know why Indians love to make it about religion. Rajamouli was an example. If Rahman would have done that, I'd have said the same.

Despite knowing how Bollywood elites love West and Western stars, why are we acting totally surprised here?

Whether it's the Puranas, Sufism/Islamic aesthetics, or the Gnostics, when you make something in India, in an Indian language, own it. Be proud of your tradition.

Did Bong-Joon Ho act like that during Parasite? He didn't. He was a proud representative of South Korea. He was respectful but also firm.

i totally agree with everything you said..worst piece of crap is actors in Bollywood saying..ohh we never watched Hindi movies growing up (cough ARK, Tara Sutaria, Saif etc) As if it’s beneath them to have watched Hindi cinema or Indian cinema..what are you doing in Bollywood then..just go to Hollywood and stick around there ..where they typecast Indian characters into typical stereotypes!! And all these Gen next kids talking in IB accent..Their diction is so bad..they can’t pronounce Hindi words properly..and then they wonder why their movies are getting dumped onto OTT. Prime example is garbage like Archie’s which made no sense..and tried so hard to ape the west and turned out to be neither here nor there. Kucch bhi! For that matter, I respect DP when she said that we need to stop being apologetic about indian brand of cinema while being interviewed post Oscars..and own our style of cinema making. And Ranveer who is a passionate actor and has watched every Hindi movie out there and is not afraid of accepting his love for Govinda movies or mouthing dialogues from the 90s..I really have no respect for the anglophiles who want to make it BW and don’t respect the glorious history of it..
jasminerahul thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

I still remember that in 2003 in the library my friends and i read star dust or filmfare where it was written that Aditya was separated from his wife (not legally)and his parents are advising him to patch up with his wife.That time Rani was not linked up with Aditya.So that time Rani was not the reason behind their separation.But everyone in the forum says that Rani broke adi's home. Did Aditya and his wife patch up after that ?or is it Rani called as a home wrecker because adi was not separated from his wife legally?

Originally posted by: MrChatVsNorway

oh dear , you seem to know everything about adi’s first marriage Aishu janu fan .. adi’s marriage was already broken when Rani came in .. in an interview post marriage, Rani clearly mentioned that both of them came out of broken relationships and found solace in one another

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: jasminerahul

I still remember that in 2003 in the library my friends and i read star dust or filmfare where it was written that Aditya was separated from his wife (not legally)and his parents are advising him to patch up with his wife.That time Rani was not linked up with Aditya.So that time Rani was not the reason behind their separation.But everyone in the forum says that Rani broke adi's home. Did Aditya and his wife patch up after that ?or is it Rani called as a home wrecker because adi was not separated from his wife legally?

Anyone saying Rani is home wrecker shouldn’t be taken seriously when they speak on other women’s respect issues imho 😉