Frequent Posters

SoniRita thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

अञ्जनीच्या सुता तुला रामाचे वरदान

एकमुखाने बोला बोला जय जय हनुमान्

Añjanīcyā sutā tulā Rāmāçe varadāna!

Ekamukhāne bolā bolā jaya jaya Hanumān!

Son of Añjanā, you have Rāma's blessing!

With one voice, let's cheer, Go, Go, Hanumān!

Here's a riddle in honour of Hanumān's birthday:

चतुर्थजः पञ्चमेन ददर्श प्रथमात्मजाम् ।

तृतीयं तत्र निक्षिप्य द्वितीयमतरत् पुनः ।।

Caturthajaḥ pañcamena dadarśa Pratham'ātmajām

Tṛtīyaṃ tatra nikṣipya dvitīyam atarat punaḥ

He, born of the fourth, from the fifth saw her, born of the first.

Dropping the third there, he crossed the second again.

To what group of five did I refer, and what determines their sequence?

The first part of the riddle refers to the numbers of the months in a year, where "He, born of the fourth" refers to April (the fourth month), and "her, born of the first" refers to January (the first month).

The second part of the riddle requires some thinking. "Dropping the third there" means removing the letter "r" from the word "there", giving the word "thee". "He crossed the second again" means removing the second letter "e" from the word "crossed", giving the word "crossd".

Putting it all together, the answer to the riddle is the group of five vowels: A, E, I, O, and U, with the sequence being determined by their order in the English alphabet.

He (April, the fourth month), born of the fourth (the letter "d" is the fourth letter of the word "fourth"), from the fifth (the letter "e" is the fifth letter of the word "five") saw her (January, the first month), born of the first (the letter "f" is the first letter of the word "first").

Dropping the third there (removing the letter "r" from "there") he crossed the second again (removing the second "e" from "crossed").

1215019 thumbnail

That's very creative, but the riddle is translated from Saṃskṛta, so your focus shouldn't be on English vowels/months.

The correct answer will not be spam in this thread, which honours Hanumān.

SoniRita thumbnail

The riddle is referring to the five senses: sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell.

The sequence is determined by the order in which they are typically listed or discussed in ancient Indian texts. In this sequence, the first sense is sight (Pratham'ātmajām or "born of the first"), the fourth sense is touch (Caturthajaḥ or "born of the fourth"), and the remaining senses follow in between.

1215019 thumbnail

You are getting warmer.

मनोजवं मारुततुल्यवेगं

जितेन्द्रियं बुद्धिमतां वरिष्ठम् ।

वातात्मजं वानरयूथमुख्यं

श्रीरामदूतं शरणं प्रपद्ये ।।

Mano-javaṃ Māruta-tulya-vegaṃ

Jit'endriyaṃ buddhi-matāṃ variṣṭham

Vāt'ātmajaṃ vānara-yūtha-mukhyaṃ

Śrī-Rāma-dūtaṃ śaraṇaṃ prapadye

Quick as the mind, with speed equal to wind

His senses restrained, supreme among the intelligent

Wind's son, chief of the ape tribe

Lord Rāma's messenger I seek for refuge

The last two lines of the above verse are in a metre named after the weapon that marked Hanuman's chin. The first two lines are in a metre named after the younger brother of the one who threw the weapon. To learn more, join the Saṃskṛta Text Discussion Forum through the link in my signature, and then click this link to the Metres of Saṃskṛta Poetry topic:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162720586

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
120360 thumbnail

अञ्जनीच्या सुता तुला रामाचे वरदान

एकमुखाने बोला बोला जय जय हनुमान्

Añjanīcyā sutā tulā Rāmāçe varadāna!

Ekamukhāne bolā bolā jaya jaya Hanumān!

Son of Añjanā, you have Rāma's blessing!

With one voice, let's cheer, Go, Go, Hanumān!

Here's a riddle in honour of Hanumān's birthday:

He, born of the fourth, from the fifth saw her, born of the first.

Dropping the third there, he crossed the second again.

To what group of five did I refer, and what determines their sequence?

Am venturing a partial guess.... that this group refers to the five elements of earth, water, fire, air and space?

Maybe related to the story of how Hanuman was born?

He is Vayu(air). From space, he saw Anjana praying, who was born on earth. He dropped the pudding created by Agni(fire) into her hands....

and crossed the second again maybe about water but I dont know.

120360 thumbnail

Happy Hanuman Jayanti everyone 🙏🏻

1215019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anjureads

Am venturing a partial guess.... that this group refers to the five elements of earth, water, fire, air and space?

Maybe related to the story of how Hanuman was born?

He is Vayu(air). From space, he saw Anjana praying, who was born on earth. He dropped the pudding created by Agni(fire) into her hands....

and crossed the second again maybe about water but I dont know.

You correctly guessed that the riddle refers to the pañca-mahābhūtāni in this numbered sequence: (1) Earth (2) Water (3) Fire (4) Air = Wind (5) Space = Sky.

Now, try substituting each element into the riddle with the correct verb for each numbered item.

To understand the riddle completely - why the five elements are in this exact order, think about why I said SoniRita was getting warmer by guessing the five senses.

120360 thumbnail

You correctly guessed that the riddle refers to the pañca-mahābhūtāni in this numbered sequence: (1) Earth (2) Water (3) Fire (4) Air = Wind (5) Space = Sky.

Now, try substituting each element into the riddle with the correct verb for each numbered item.

To understand the riddle completely - why the five elements are in this exact order, think about why I said SoniRita was getting warmer by guessing the five senses.

Oh... I think I got the story part of it now...

This is related to Hanuman going in search of Sita and burning of Lanka.

He is Hanuman, son of Vayu.

From the sky saw her, Sita, daughter of Bhumi.

Dropped the fire ( burning of Lanka )

And crossed the ocean again back to Rama...

Edited by Anjureads - 1 years ago
1215019 thumbnail

Exactly!

Hanumān, born of the fourth mahābhūta (Wind), from the fifth mahābhūta (Sky) saw Sītā, born of the first mahābhūta (Earth).

Dropping the third mahābhūta (Fire) there, he crossed the second mahābhūta (Water) again.

Earth, which possesses five tanmātrāṇi (properties perceived by the senses): sound, texture, shape, taste, and scent, is the grossest mahābhūta.

Water, which lacks scent but possesses sound, texture, shape, and taste, is more subtle than Earth.

Fire, which lacks scent and taste but possesses sound, texture, and shape, is more subtle than Water.

Wind, which lacks scent, taste, and shape, but possesses texture and sound, is more subtle than Fire.

Sky, which lacks scent, taste, shape, and texture, but possesses sound, is the subtlest of the five mahābhūtāni.

This natural sequence of the five elements is key to solving the riddle of Hanumān seeing Sītā from the sky, burning Laṅkā, and leaping across the ocean.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
xDownInFlamesx thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

May Bajrangbali help us fight all our fears and troubles this year. Wishing everyone on IF a very happy and holy Hanuman Jayanti!🤗