Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

We are all entitled to our own opinions, art is subjective after all, nobody is right or wrong.

BUT that's not what this topic is about. The question asked is: "Was Madhuri The Biggest Superstar In 90s?"

Here is the opening post to refresh your memory:

Your first response was:

When your claims were disected, by not just me but a few others: e.g. Aishwarya's superstardom started in the last 6 months of the 90s, Karisma had zero releases in 1998. Kajol had a flop year in 1996, it just confirmed that you have an anti-Madhuri bias. And you continued to prove it with each subsequent post. When all else failed, you gave us random nonsense "numbers" like: "90% of Madhuri's films flopped after 1995" which is not a fact at all.

I know it was hard for many to handle when Madhuri overtook Sridevi in the early 90s. I wish Sridevi had more recognition at Filmfare for example, because her 2 awards at the Hindi ceremony do not do her justice. I wish Sridevi had more hit songs. But it's been 25-30 years, it's time to move on from being bitter and holding a grudge.

And you are entitled to your subjective opinions too. But you do not get to invalidate other opinions with your subjective opinions. That's plain wrong.

I already said 96-97 were ruled by Karishma, 97-98 was Kajol, 99-onwards it was Aishwarya. I never said Aishwarya ruled from 96 to 99 so your comprehension of my statement is wrong. I still stand by ground on that post that Kajol, Karishma and Aishwarya were bigger stars than Madhuri was in the latter 90s. One DTPH with shared credit of Karishma doesn't change fortunes for Madhuri.

If I was biased against Madhuri, I would deny her reign completely. But I have no qualms about saying that Madhuri was indeed no.1 in the early 90s, up until 95, and it went downhill from there.

The fact that you think I am biased against Madhuri here may be your own inability to accept the true state of her career in the latter 90s.

And there's is no reason to mourn the fact that she only got 2 awards from Filmfare. It doesn't matter. SRK and Kajol are apparently the best actors if we go by them, which is clearly nonsense. Sridevi's legacy is much bigger than what a farce of an award Filmfare is. And Madhuri fans need to come back to reality and learn to accept facts instead of living in some utopian world where she was still a superstar even in her flop phase.

MiVida_Messi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: harun98

Ash is featured in no.1 actress of 2000 decade by boi

In 2000s? Really? Well i do not know much about the numbers, but I do know that all her big hits were HDDCS (opp Khan), Devdas (opp Khan), Dhoom2 (opp Roshan) and none of her other movies which had her as the central lead could create any impact to say that she reigned supreme. However, if BOI says then they must have statistics, so I do not know.😕

However, i felt it is unfair to compare Aishwarya with Madhuri and Sridevi, because these two are the biggest female superstars ever in Bollywood, no one can come close, no matter what BOI says.

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Yes. Without any doubt. You have to see somethings to believe them.

I could not witness Rajesh Khanna's craze as he was way before my time but Madhuri Dixit's popularity and success was something else, never seen anything like that for an actor, male or female.

In an interview, I read some time back, Salim Khan(Salman Khan's father) was asked by the interviewer how does he feel when he sees such a huge crowd outside his son's house everyday. Salim Khan replied he had seen bigger crowds for Rajesh Khanna.

People often talk about Beta and HAHK .

It is a misconception that Beta made her a success but from 1988 Madhuri Dixit had already starred in nearly 13-14 box office hit till Dil in 1990. She was already a hit star when Dil hit the marquee.

It is a bit laughable that anybody could think Sridevi posed any challenge to Madhuri Dixit Nene.

Sridevi had her time but it was in mid -80's and her main rival was Jaya Prada and not Madhuri Dixit who was a struggling new comer in mid-80's. By 1988 itself Madhuri Dixit was on her way to becoming one of the biggest star in the history of Hindi Cinema.

https://i.imgur.com/b8QOfWX.jpg

Edited by surajhere - 3 years ago
1123225 thumbnail

Originally posted by: surajhere

It is a bit laughable that anybody could think Sridevi posed any challenge to Madhuri Dixit Nene.

Sridevi had her time but it was in mid -80's and her main rival was Jaya Prada and not Madhuri Dixit who was a struggling new comer in mid-80's. By 1988 itself Madhuri Dixit was on her way to becoming one of the biggest star in the history of Hindi Cinema.

https://i.imgur.com/b8QOfWX.jpg

Yes, Sridevi's days were in the 80s, but she, at her peak, was actually a bigger star than Madhuri ever was. I was around for both.

Moreover, Sridevi was a pan India star while Madhuri was strictly Bollywood. Those were not social media days. Go to any ordinary small town in the south or the northeast or rural U.P., they knew who Sridevi was. Filmmakers outside India knew of her. Not so for Madhuri.

The only reason Madhuri gets the title of THE superstar of the 90s is Khans were not as big as her. Amitabh was, during Sridevi days.

DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

What a joke. Even Karishma, kajol are bigger superstars than the screeching queen.

Originally posted by: harun98

Ash is featured in no.1 actress of 2000 decade by boi

Edited by etherealbeauty - 3 years ago
surajhere thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Yes, Sridevi's days were in the 80s, but she, at her peak, was actually a bigger star than Madhuri ever was. I was around for both.

Moreover, Sridevi was a pan India star while Madhuri was strictly Bollywood. Those were not social media days. Go to any ordinary small town in the south or the northeast or rural U.P., they knew who Sridevi was. Filmmakers outside India knew of her. Not so for Madhuri.

The only reason Madhuri gets the title of THE superstar of the 90s is Khans were not as big as her. Amitabh was, during Sridevi days.

Anybody who was 'actually' around in 80's knows quite well about Sridevi's popularity. Nagina was the peak of Sridevi's 'popularity' and it was not a even a huge hit in comparison to Tezaab . Sridvi's stardom was always below par in comparison to Madhuri's starting stardom. And her stardom just paled in light of Madhuri's success and popularity.

Sridevi's fanbase had some typical fans that were not very kind to other actresses. Some of her fans were quite smitten with her like Shekhar Kapoor and Ram Gopal Verma. But RGV was sane enough to see that Madhuri Dixit was miles ahead in popularity, success and other attributes of star/actor in comparison to his muse/obsession, Sridevi, whatever you want to call it. So he made Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chahati Hu and not Main Sridevi Banna Chahti Hu. But Shekhar Kapoor, well that is another story. Madhuri Dixit made him eat his own words.

Madhuri Dixit is a pan Indian name even though she worked exclusively in Bollywood while Sridevi had to work in 5 languages to achieve he same Pan-Indian identity.

There are many other things in which Dixit easily trumps Sridevi but that is for another day.

By Mid 80's, when Srtidevi's popularity was peaking Amitabh Bachchan had descended into Flop star territory . His films were flopping left right and center , films he produced pushed him into debt and this continued till 2nd millenium when he hit pay-dirt with KBC. SRK in 90's was a far far bigger star than Amitabh Bachchan was from mid-80's. In fact SRKs flop status of today is nothing as compared to what Amitabh went through starting from mid-80's, no wonder he has mellowed down. But then people who have been around from 80's and were movie watchers know about all these things.

Edited by surajhere - 3 years ago
1123225 thumbnail

Originally posted by: surajhere

Anybody who was 'actually' around in 80's knows quite well about Sridevi's popularity. Nagina was the peak of Sridevi's 'popularity' and it was not a even a huge hit in comparison to Tezaab . Sridvi's stardom was always below par in comparison to Madhuri's starting stardom. And her stardom just paled in light of Madhuri's success and popularity.

Sridevi's fanbase had some typical fans that were not very kind to other actresses. Some of her fans were quite smitten with her like Shekhar Kapoor and Ram Gopal Verma. But RGV was sane enough to see that Madhuri Dixit was miles ahead in popularity, success and other attributes of star/actor in comparison to his muse/obsession, Sridevi, whatever you want to call it. So he made Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chahati Hu and not Main Sridevi Banna Chahti Hu. But Shekhar Kapoor, well that is another story. Madhuri Dixit made him eat his own words.

Madhuri Dixit is a pan Indian name even though she worked exclusively in Bollywood while Sridevi had to work in 5 languages to achieve he same Pan-Indian identity.

There are many other things in which Dixit easily trumps Sridevi but that is for another day.

By Mid 80's, when Srtidevi's popularity was peaking Amitabh Bachchan had descended into Flop star territory . His films were flopping left right and center , films he produced pushed him into debt and this continued till 2nd millenium when he hit pay-dirt with KBC. SRK in 90's was a far far bigger star than Amitabh Bachchan was from mid-80's. In fact SRKs flop status of today is nothing as compared to what Amitabh went through starting from mid-80's, no wonder he has mellowed down. But then people who have been around from 80's and were movie watchers know about all these things.

😆 Having both lived through the 80s and being a South Indian, I can tell you Sridevi was actually a pan Indian star while most of South India didn't even know about Madhuri until Internet became a thing.

And yes, Sridevi was a huge star. Madhuri attained the same stardom in the next decade, but ONLY IN THE HINDI BELT.

Sridevi's stardom even carried into her middle age while Madhuri flopped as soon as the flush of youth was off her.

surajhere thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

😆 Having both lived through the 80s and being a South Indian, I can tell you Sridevi was actually a pan Indian star while most of South India didn't even know about Madhuri until Internet became a thing.

And yes, Sridevi was a huge star. Madhuri attained the same stardom in the next decade, but ONLY IN THE HINDI BELT.

Sridevi's stardom even carried into her middle age while Madhuri flopped as soon as the flush of youth was off her.

Having lived through 80s and being a NON-South Indian, nobody outside South India knew who Sridevi was. The actresses who were popular and famous while Sridevi was scratching around for some decent Bollywood films in 1980s were

Mandakini,

Poonam Dhillon,

Anita Raaj,

Ranjeeta,

Rati Agnihotri(another actress from South )

Neelam(Kothari),

Meenakshi Sheshadri ,

Tina Munim

Dimple Kapadia

and many more including actresses from previous generations like Hema Malini and Rekha but Sridevi was not among them. Her lukewarm success and so-called popularity started with Tohfa in 1984 but Dixit ended even that in 1988 with 4 back-to-back box office hits.

Successful Bollywood stars don't go to other Indian film industries, including South Indian Film Industry but popular stars from other film Industries including South Indian film Industries are always eager to act in Bollywood films . This is an indicator of pan-Indian ness of Bollywood films.

No female actor anywhere in the world, including Madhuri Dixit, has carried their success into their middle ages, so question about Sridevi who did not enjoy much popularity does not even arise.

EV was an inherently good film and would have been a success if any Tara, Diana or Mehek would have done it. Mom's flop show showed up Sridevi's PR powered psuedo-stardom.