Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 days ago

Ot they can even be the subject of a serial...

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Clochette

Ot they can even be the subject of a serial...

I think each actress has been weighing if she's ready to essentially downgrade herself from theatrical films to OTT or not.

Madhuri's comebacks all flopped, unlike Sridevi's, so she turned to OTT with Maja Ma and The Fame Game. But I don't think either of them captured much of an audience, or certainly The Fame Game didn't as it was never renewed.

Karishma more or less gave up on film as a medium entirely after Dangerous Ishqq was a box office disaster. Murder Mubarak was her first film in over a decade and even that was OTT. She had her webshow Mentalhood but that didn't last longer than a season either.

Juhi was able to keep her career going in film by shifting to supporting characters and character roles. She's done some shows but she's treated more like a guest appearance in those shows, perhaps on purpose so she doesn't lose her image as a film actress.

Preity's film comebacks all failed and her pilot for the Fresh Off the Boat spinoff show never came about either (would have been interesting to see Preity and Priyanka both on ABC shows). Lahore 1947 seems like a really big release though and I think based on the reaction to that, we'll see if Preity continues to act in films or not but it'll be tricky since there are no actresses at her age still working as heroines.

Kajol probably has the biggest box office power out of any of these actresses, thanks to her SRK and Ajay collabs plus her endurance with NRIs. But Dilwale's failure seems to have left her and SRK reluctant to work together if there isn't a right script. Ajay doesn't really use her much in his films and she's stated that there are no roles for her age group anymore on film, hence why she's shifted to OTT as well. Her solo films haven't worked either.

Aishwarya seems the least likely to come anywhere near to OTT. Her image and name are still too heavily associated with films for her to come down to earth for a mere series. She doesn't work much now and from posts on here from an insider source, it seems that's less because of Bachchan interference as much her dislike of Bollywood politics and how the Khans have been financing their films through some underhanded methods. Her interest seems to be in the South, especially to launch her daughter one day, which her in-laws don't approve of.

Shilpa more or less abandoned films to remain relevant through public appearances instead. But Sukhee was a big hit for Netflix and is getting a sequel, and she's also got Lahore 1947, so I think she'll continue to be able to work sporadically.

Urmila has had the worst luck since her item song in Blackmail didn't catch on and her OTT show mysteriously disappeared without explanation. I know she briefly turned to politics for a while. Her biggest issue is that she was always an outsider and never made it into Bollywood's inner group.

Clochette thumbnail

Except for Aish's probable motive to not working in Hindi Cinema, I find your analyses quite fitting smiley32

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Except for Aish's probable motive to not working in Hindi Cinema, I find your analyses quite fitting smiley32

I wish I had saved the post. There was a user here who posted when people were discussing why Aish doesn't work in many films anymore. Everyone thought it's the Bachchans telling her not to work so she doesn't overshadow Abhishek, but this user said they knew some of the servants who work in the Bachchan house and have an understanding of the family set-up. How, some years back, when the family needed money, they merged some of the assets and all of Aishwarya's personal finances got merged with Abhishek's and thus with the family's by extension. A divorce is highly unlikely for no other reason than Aishwarya doesn't have her own personal assets anymore so she's tied to the family now financially.

So that caused some tension and then Aishwarya had issues with the way Bollywood works now. Something about how the Khans promote their films and get producers to work with them, because they monopolize the industry and cut out some of the people who were considered indispensable before and who Aish valued. This has turned her off the industry and why she doesn't work in Bollywood anymore. Also how the Bachchans don't like Aish's south connections and aren't fond of the idea that Aish will likely launch her daughter in the south, where she feels there is more creative freedom and less monopolies.

Apparently Aishwarya is not alone in feeling this way, because the user said many of the 90s actresses who remember how it was different back then feel similarly. How Kajol also feels this way and has made certain comments or allusions to her thoughts on this like on KWK. How Rani doesn't feel this way because of obvious reasons that she's now head of a studio herself and thus will approve of anything to make money and make their films successful. Kajol's comments apparently were directed at KJo and Rani but the industry in general, and this is also why she's turned more towards OTT.

I don't have an intricate understanding of all this myself so I'm only repeating what I read here. If that user is still active and sees this, perhaps they'll share more. This user also talked a little bit about why Aishwarya rejected the cameo part of Aishwarya in Jawan. It wasn't because the role was too small for her but because she feels SRK is part of the problem in Bollywood right now with how films are being made as he's changed his methods to follow this practice of monopolizing the industry.

Edited by RaniPreityAish - 17 days ago
Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I wish I had saved the post. There was a user here who posted when people were discussing why Aish doesn't work in many films anymore. Everyone thought it's the Bachchans telling her not to work so she doesn't overshadow Abhishek, but this user said they knew some of the servants who work in the Bachchan house and have an understanding of the family set-up. How, some years back, when the family needed money, they merged some of the assets and all of Aishwarya's personal finances got merged with Abhishek's and thus with the family's by extension.

So that caused some tension and then Aishwarya had issues with the way Bollywood works now. Something about how the Khans promote their films and get producers to work with them, because they monopolize the industry and cut out some of the people who were considered indispensable before and who Aish valued. This has turned her off the industry and why she doesn't work in Bollywood anymore. Also how the Bachchans don't like Aish's south connections and aren't fond of the idea that Aish will likely launch her daughter in the south, where she feels there is more creative freedom and less monopolies.

I don't have an intricate understanding of all this myself so I'm only repeating what I read here. If that user is still active and sees this, perhaps they'll share more. This user also talked a little bit about why Aishwarya rejected the cameo part of Aishwarya in Jawan. It wasn't because the role was too small for her but because she feels SRK is part of the problem in Bollywood right now with how films are being made as he's changed his methods to follow this practice of monopolizing the industry.

I'm extremely wary of what anonymous sources tell...far too often there are agendas behind (and these sources may even just be imagined ones)...social media (and unfortunately also the journalistic side of media) has become the biggest opinion-manipulation tool in every way of life.

Aish's motivation to not take the role in Jawaan is because it wasn't even proposed to her (as far as I know) which makes sense because she would in no way have met the physical demands of that role. She was good in PS 1+2 with Vikram, though...and it would be a good and positive ending of her acting carreer, imo.

Btw, I'm not among the "Everyone thought it's the Bachchans telling her not to work so she doesn't overshadow Abhishek"...just saying smiley1

Edited by Clochette - 17 days ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I'm extremely wary of what anonymous sources tell...far too often there are agendas behind (and these sources may even just be imagined ones)...social media (and unfortunately also the journalistic side of media) has become the biggest opinion-manipulation tool in every way of life.

Aish's motivation to not take the role in Jawaan is because it wasn't even proposed to her (as far as I know) which makes sense because she would in no way have met the physical demands of that role. She was good in PS 1+2 with Vikram, though...and it would be a good and positive ending of her acting carreer, imo.

Btw, I'm not among the "Everyone thought it's the Bachchans telling her not to work so she doesn't overshadow Abhishek"...just saying smiley1

Perhaps. I don't remember the user who posted it now so can't recall if it was someone trusted but I don't think it was a newbie account. And I can't imagine what agenda they'd have to make something like this up.

The reports were that Aishwarya and Vidya were both offered the cameo role. Both said no, with the reports about Aishwarya's rejection being that there was no scope for her as an actor or star in the movie. Which I believe was more or less what Vidya felt as well.

I don't believe PS will be the end of Aishwarya's acting career by far. I think she'll work sporadically, only when a project captures her interest or is done by someone she respects and wants to work with. But I've noticed you've always been slightly icy towards Aishwarya in a way you aren't with SRK's other heroines.smiley2 In fact, I'd love to see you post about which pairings of his you like the most because I'm curious if your favorite pairings with him match up to mine. If not here, then maybe in the SRK's friends thread.

I think in that family dynamic, having Aishwarya headlining a Bollywood film when Abhishek is only doing OTT films is something that wouldn't be accepted. At least not by Big B. It's why Aishwarya dropped out of Dostana and Happy New Year, so that it wouldn't look bad that she's the lead actress and Abhishek a supporting role to another hero. The Bachchans don't have a place in South films so it's also a place where Aishwarya can star and not rub her in-laws or husband the wrong way. It's well documented that he's sensitive about his lack of stardom between his annoyance when photographers only want Aishwarya to pose or his outburst at the press when asked about only taking supporting roles. I mentioned in another thread that I was watching Vidya's Do Aur Do Pyaar and even in that film, the specific reference to the Bachchan family is Amitabh, Jaya, and Aishwarya. Abhishek's name isn't even mentioned. I feel for him to an extent, especially in such a patriarchal society, but ultimately he's overshadowed by three superior stars.

Clochette thumbnail

Actually, I like all the Aish-SRK's pairings smiley1

There is something very interesting that these films reflect : the leading lady hasn't a (romantic) happy end with the leading man...very much something that also gets reflected in her personal life...maybe she made the wrong choices??? (and I don't believe that it's mainly the respective man's fault)

I won't underestimate the intelligence of some stars, but I also won't underestimate their abilities for getting what they want...only it turns out that what they wanted didn't satisfy them (so they did what they did to get it and do when they got it or didn't get it).

There is a line in Ra.One which is a smart saying:

Quotes Be Careful What You Wish Stock Photo 386508547 | Shutterstock

Edited by Clochette - 17 days ago
Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 days ago

They both looked good and danced well. Important is they both have good spirit and camaraderie.

Chingaari thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Most Liked (February 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 8

Bas tabhi se meri khunnas chal rahi hai SRK se ..jab se usne Nisha ko Maya ke chakkar mein ignore kiya😏...karishma ke moves alag hi level ke thei movie mein

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Actually, I like all the Aish-SRK's pairings smiley1

There is something very interesting that these films reflect : the leading lady hasn't a (romantic) happy end with the leading man...very much something that also gets reflected in her personal life...maybe she made the wrong choices??? (and I don't believe that it's mainly the respective man's fault)

I won't underestimate the intelligence of some stars, but I also won't underestimate their abilities for getting what they want...only it turns out that what they wanted didn't satisfy them (so they did what they did to get it and do when they got it or didn't get it).

There is a line in Ra.One which is a smart saying:

Quotes Be Careful What You Wish Stock Photo 386508547 | Shutterstock

I meant more that you seem critical of Aish as a person rather than her pairings with SRK. But your comments on "be careful what you wish for" remind me of the recent thread where someone said Karishma was lucky she didn't get married into the Bachchan family. That I would disagree with since her actual husband seemed like a nightmare from hell if the stories she shared during her divorce are all true. She would have been better off with the Bachchans.

I do think Karishma wouldn't have overshadowed Abhishek as much as Aishwarya did so maybe there was more compatibility there. But in the one movie they did together as a couple, Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya, I have to admit I wasn't a big fan but that was more due to the regressive storyline. I watched a Rekha/Jeetendra movie and learned that Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya, I have to admit I wasn't a big fan but that was more due to the regressive storyline. I watched a Rekha/Jeetendra movie and learned that Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya was a remake of that film so that explains why the the storyline was so antiquated.

I think Aish's motivation then wasn't so much selfish as much as wanting security in an industry where she held a very tenuous position as she was blacklisted by all three Khans. She had lost so many high opportunity film offers overnight. Was close friends with KJo but knew he'd never go over SRK for her. The Bachchans were a security net and gave her a name that would protect her forever from Salman. When she was just Aishwarya Rai, the actress/model, she was fair game to be abused in public and treated like a joke, but as Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, not even Salman or his connections could come after her. I do believe both Aishwarya and Abhishek cared for each other, no matter what else they may have figured they could get from the other to boost their own careers.

The only time I feel SRK has ever been unfair is how after firing Aish from Chalte Chalte (and that I can still understand since it was a personal production and it was his money on the line as a producer from the delays), he also fired her from 4-5 other films. And he admits it was unfair and he did it because he was embarrassed to face her. So what would have been only one slight turned into something longer and more personal because of his shame in not wanting to confront her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCcb5Xq59XM

Even here, where she presents him with an award during the period when she's been fired from his films, he seems somewhat sheepish and unable to fully look her in the eyes. I'm curious if his actions were influenced by his close friendship with Salman and his family and a need to essentially side with them. Or if he ever felt he had become emotionally involved in this couple's broken relationship and it was necessary for him to break off all ties. I know you in the past have commented that you think Aish had a crush on him and perhaps became too emotionally involved with him, which also triggered Salman's jealousy, especially if she was making comparisons between how SRK treats her vs Salman.