Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: harun98

DTPH success credit went to srk and karishma mostly. Karishma even got a national award for it

How did you work that out? Mostly? DTPH was all about Madhuri Dixit as Pooja. All three of them were great in their roles, all very memorable, all won awards. How is it that Madhuri isn't getting credit? I'd like to hear something to make sense of it. Because it just sounds like a hater comment.

Regarding the National Award, even to this day people are SHOCKED that Karisma won it. At that point in time even Sridevi with her 250+ films had NEVER won a National Award. Sridevi was awarded won after her death. Even Raveena Tandon won a National Award 15 years before Sridevi. Kajol has never won one. Neither Rani Mukerji. Even Karisma has several times recalled the fact that she was completely shell shocked that she won that award. So it's not the best indicator.

Rekha_ji thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

LMAO, so are we counting number of scenes and screen time now? 😂😂😂

Kajol had less screen time than Manisha in Gupt, and apparently that doesn't make it as much her film as it does Manisha's? What a joke. Anyone would identify Gupt with Kajol before any other actor. And KAJOL had sufficient screen time to be considered a protagonist. Don't get started with the silly Filmfare awards like "Best Villain" and try to invalidate her success.

Same goes for Karishma.

Madhuri was past her prime by 1996 and that's what the numbers say. 90% of her movies after that had flopped. And numbers don't lie.

Plucking a RANDOM NUMBER out of the air: "90% of...." followed by "numbers don't lie" is quite embarrassing. 😂

Rekha_ji thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Regional cinema sounds Hollywood to you?😆 Because that's the sector I mentioned in comparison with MD's capabilities. And yeah, compare her to actresses in Bengali, Marathi, or Malayalam industries, Madhuri will show as less than average. Once again, not talking about ALL regional actresses. Just the ones which are lauded as good IN good movies. Those performances actually are good unlike Bollywood idea of *good* acting which basically means box office success and the need to suck up to the ruling superstar.

Also, I'm quite certain you understood why Meryl Streep was mentioned. In case you didn't... point was to say calling MD one of the best is like calling Alia Meryl Streep (which actually happened and was ridiculed all over the place).

When someone says MD was as good as Smita Patil, it's clear reasonable discussion is not possible.

Clearly you're a fan of "regional cinema". Madhuri Dixit's Bollywood acting doesn't compare to your love of Bengali and Marathi movies. I'm happy for you. But without any examples, it's just empty words.

Madhuri Dixit however has been considered a talented actress since the early 90s. Unanimously. I've never heard ANYONE credible call her "average" apart from on this forum. And it's usually a Sridevi fan. Just because you don't like a certain artist, it doesn't legitimise calling them "average". Have you seen Devdas, Lajja, Pukar, Mrityudand, Anjaam?

I don't like Kangana Ranaut, but I would never call her an average actress because that would make me look stupid.

What do you think of Kajol, Juhi, Karisma, Sridevi's Hindi film performances? Your answer to this question will tell me everything I need to know.

Rekha_ji thumbnail

Which movies did Madhuri make superhit on own shoulders? I can hardly think of one or two movies... Riding on male superstars to be successful doesn't make one a box office draw. Only Sridevi somewhat managed to do that.

Madhuri only has Raja. HAHK was not centered aroud her.

Only 10-15% of Madhuri's films were hits. She was nowhere near Sridevi by any means.

If Madhuri's success rate is 10-15% - what is Sridevi's hit rate? Numbers don't lie remember.

Contradition after by contradiction followed by random numbers and random percentages.

If "HAHK was not centered around her" I'd love to know who it was centered around according to you.

Sridevi had 2 this in the 90s decade. Laadla (1994) and Judaai (1997). Stop using her as an example to put Madhuri down. Sridevi fans really have tainted her legacy so badly, she doesn't deserve that. Sridevi has probably the most flops of any actress in the history of Bollywood. 300 films. How many were hits?

Between 1985-1989 she had 57 films released (source: IMDB). How many of those 57 were hits. See, this is why I would not advise anyone to use made-up fake facts as they go along, because google is free.

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Can we html embed this to this thread ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

If Madhuri's success rate is 10-15% - what is Sridevi's hit rate? Numbers don't lie remember.

Contradition after by contradiction followed by random numbers and random percentages.

If "HAHK was not centered around her" I'd love to know who it was centered around according to you.

Sridevi had 2 this in the 90s decade. Laadla (1994) and Judaai (1997). Stop using her as an example to put Madhuri down. Sridevi fans really have tainted her legacy so badly, she doesn't deserve that. Sridevi has probably the most flops of any actress in the history of Bollywood. 300 films. How many were hits?

Between 1985-1989 she had 57 films released (source: IMDB). How many of those 57 were hits. See, this is why I would not advise anyone to use made-up fake facts as they go along, because google is free.

So when the Kajol and Karishma argument failed, you're bringing back Sridevi? 😆 Okay, Right on! :D

Not all of Sridevi's 300 films were in Bollywood. She did at least 230 of these in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada, and she had innumerable hits there. She only did around 70-odd films in BW, which is more or less the same number for Madhuri. And Sri certainly had many more hits in BW.

Tell me the hits Madhuri was a part of and Sridevi was a part of and see 'facts' for yourself.

Zero contradictions here. Only contradictions are your changing arguments.

Rekha_ji thumbnail

So when the Kajol and Karishma argument failed, you're bringing back Sridevi? 😆 Okay, Right on! :D

Not all of Sridevi's 300 films were in Bollywood. She did at least 230 of these in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada, and she had innumerable hits there. She only did around 70-odd films in BW, which is more or less the same number for Madhuri. And Sri certainly had many more hits in BW.

Tell me the hits Madhuri was a part of and Sridevi was a part of and see 'facts' for yourself.

You want me to do the research for you? That's not how it works I'm afraid.

If you make claims, the onus is on you to back them up when challenged. It's as simple as that. Your "numbers" didn't add up, every time.

Whereas I have backed up everything I've stated.

But you keep coming up with lazy diversion tactics and exposing yourself. I almost feel guilty for making you look so bad, but I didn't mean to, as I always enjoy discussing bollywood histories with other film fans. Now I realise, this wasn't that.

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Madhuri was superstar till 95

She's an amazing dancer and has so much grace

Her expressions are uff

But when it comes to acting she's strictly average.

And stardom doesn't always mean good acting

Having seen acting of some of the 90s actresses in both bollywood and Hollywood like tabu, juhi ( depends on roles) , sridevi, Kate winslet, sharon stone, julia roberts, nicole kidman, uma thurman i can safely say madhuri no where near them in terms of acting

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

You want me to do the research for you? That's not how it works I'm afraid.

If you make claims, the onus is on you to back them up when challenged. It's as simple as that. Your "numbers" didn't add up, every time.

Whereas I have backed up everything I've stated.

But you keep coming up with lazy diversion tactics and exposing yourself. I almost feel guilty for making you look so bad, but I didn't mean to, as I always enjoy discussing bollywood histories with other film fans. Now I realise, this wasn't that.

No, I don't want you to do the research for me. I want you to do the research for yourself, so that you see facts for what they are. I already know Madhuri was no longer a superstar after 1995. Her huge list of flops and negligible hits speaks for itself.

You didn't "back up" anything you said. You tried to discredit Kajol by saying she was not playing the lead role in Gupt. Fail. And then you tried to discredit her again in Ishq. Same with Karishma and Sridevi. Giving subjective opinions does not mean backing up your claims! And with Sridevi, it's plain misleading numbers you have given.

Any day Sridevi was the bigger superstar than Madhuri (that's not even including Sridevi's success in South), and anybody who isn't biased can see this.

Madhuri was a top actress like most other top actresses, was numero uno for a few years. That's about it. She did give a one-off hit on her shoulders like Raja, but again many top actresses have done that, from before Madhuri (Rekha, Hema, Sridevi) to the later generation Alia, Deepika and the rest.

Rekha_ji thumbnail

No, I don't want you to do the research for me. I want you to do the research for yourself, so that you see facts for what they are. I already know Madhuri was no longer a superstar after 1995. Her huge list of flops and negligible hits speaks for itself.

You didn't "back up" anything you said. You tried to discredit Kajol by saying she was not playing the lead role in Gupt. Fail. And then you tried to discredit her again in Ishq. Same with Karishma and Sridevi. Giving subjective opinions does not mean backing up your claims! And with Sridevi, it's plain misleading numbers you have given.

Any day Sridevi was the bigger superstar than Madhuri (that's not even including Sridevi's success in South), and anybody who isn't biased can see this.

Madhuri was a top actress like most other top actresses, was numero uno for a few years. That's about it. She did give a one-off hit on her shoulders like Raja, but again many top actresses have done that, from before Madhuri (Rekha, Hema, Sridevi) to the later generation Alia, Deepika and the rest.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, art is subjective after all, nobody is right or wrong.

BUT that's not what this topic is about. The question asked is: "Was Madhuri The Biggest Superstar In 90s?"

Here is the opening post to refresh your memory:

Originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

And I don't mean just the biggest female Superstar, but simply the biggest Superstar even beating the male Superstars like SRK, Salman, Sunny and Govinda? Her track record is really good till 1995.

Dil was the highest grosser of 1990.

Saajan was the highest grosser of 1991

Beta was the highest grosser of 1992.

Khalnayak was the second highest grosser of 1993.

Hum Aapke Hain Koun was the highest grosser of 1994, an all time highest grosser and also highest grosser of that decade.

Raja was the third highest grosser of 1995 and this was a movie which was solely on her shoulders.

Dil and Saajan were Super-Hits. Beta, Khalnayak and Raja were Blockbusters. Hum Aapke Hain Koun was an All Time Blockbuster.

All these films starred Madhuri but people overlook this most of the time and give more credit to the male actors for the success of these films.

She dominated the first half of 90s by giving one highest grossing film almost every year.

Even after this she had Dil To Pagal Hai in 1997 which was also a Blockbuster and second highest grosser of the year.

Shouldn't that be enough to say that she was the biggest Superstar in 90s? Even bigger than King SRK?

Your first response was:

Only first half of 90s. She was a flop queen after 1995.

Karishma, Kajol and Aishwarya reigned supreme in the latter half of the 90s.

When your claims were disected, by not just me but a few others: e.g. Aishwarya's superstardom started in the last 6 months of the 90s, Karisma had zero releases in 1998. Kajol had a flop year in 1996, it just confirmed that you have an anti-Madhuri bias. And you continued to prove it with each subsequent post. When all else failed, you gave us random nonsense "numbers" like: "90% of Madhuri's films flopped after 1995" which is not a fact at all.

I know it was hard for many to handle when Madhuri overtook Sridevi in the early 90s. I wish Sridevi had more recognition at Filmfare for example, because her 2 awards at the Hindi ceremony do not do her justice. I wish Sridevi had more hit songs. But it's been 25-30 years, it's time to move on from being bitter and holding a grudge.