Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

1. Success and superstardom are not the same as acting capability. If so, might as well claim MD was better than Smita PatilπŸ˜†

2. Even Rediff doesn't claim she's anything more than top 10 in BOLYWOOD. They'd prob be laughed out of town if they did.

Calling MD one of the best in acting is even more laughable than calling Alia Meryl Streep. Because Alia can actually act when she's not trying to be a sex symbol.

Seriously, peeps. Look outside Bollywood a time or two. See real acting on screen. Not that everyone in regional cinema is good. But they usually can recognize mediocre acting and don't label it good just because the lady is super successful.

This obsession with regarding Hollywood actresses as the "real deal" is embarrassing to say the least, and imperialistic/self-hating at worst.

Who is Meryl Streep? I'd take Madhuri, Sridevi, even Alia over her.

Also, more credit is given to actresses like Smita Patil because they are not considered "glamorous". Just because Madhuri can do the song-dance-glam-puss roles too doesn't mean she's not as good as Smita. Madhuri in Anjaam, Mrityudand, Gaga Gamini, Lajja, Pukar is as good as Smita in Bhumika, Arth, Bazaar, if not better.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Madhuri is one of a kind. She could carry a film solely on her shoulders and was a trendsetter in more ways than one.

Also, below average in acting? LOL. I guess people have extremely high standards on this forum.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago
1123225 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

This obsession with regarding Hollywood actresses as the "real deal" is embarrassing to say the least, and imperialistic/self-hating at worst.

Who is Meryl Streep? I'd take Madhuri, Sridevi, even Alia over her.

Also, more credit is given to actresses like Smita Patil because they are not considered "glamorous". Just because Madhuri can do the song-dance-glam-puss roles too doesn't mean she's not as good as Smita. Madhuri in Anjaam, Mrityudand, Gaga Gamini, Lajja, Pukar is as good as Smita in Bhumika, Arth, Bazaar, if not better.

Regional cinema sounds Hollywood to you?πŸ˜† Because that's the sector I mentioned in comparison with MD's capabilities. And yeah, compare her to actresses in Bengali, Marathi, or Malayalam industries, Madhuri will show as less than average. Once again, not talking about ALL regional actresses. Just the ones which are lauded as good IN good movies. Those performances actually are good unlike Bollywood idea of *good* acting which basically means box office success and the need to suck up to the ruling superstar.

Also, I'm quite certain you understood why Meryl Streep was mentioned. In case you didn't... point was to say calling MD one of the best is like calling Alia Meryl Streep (which actually happened and was ridiculed all over the place).

When someone says MD was as good as Smita Patil, it's clear reasonable discussion is not possible.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Gaslighting much?

You are the one who tried to minimise MD's contribution to the success of DTPH. AND at the same time praised Kajol for Gupt + Ishq (putting her ahead of MD in the process) where in reality it was a shared co-lead with Juhi/Manisha.

And now you're trying to make it sound like others were perpetuating this?

Quite cheap tactics. Hence the argument falling apart.

Madhuri had one DTPH.

Kajol had Ishq+Gupt.

Karisma had DTPH+Judwaa+Hero No.1

It's pure math.

And go through the comments before this, you'd see DTPH's success credited to Madhuri, which is what I was responding to.

YOU, stop gaslighting please.

harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

In 80s there wasn’t any known superstars the decade was ruled by sridevi. In 90s there was many big superstars like Sanjay dutt the Khan trio, govinda, madhuri was big in the early part of the 90s but late 90s she was replaced by karishma kapoor, Kajol, I guess her early 90s makes her bigger than other female but she did not rule the whole decade like sridevi did in 80s

harun98 thumbnail

Originally posted by: DexterRocks

I can understand about Kajol and karisma, but how did Aishwarya rein supreme? Aishwarya was never a box office draw, nor did she ever have any superhit on her own shoulders unlike kajol, karisma, madhuri, sridevi, katrina and even deepika.

Ash is featured in no.1 actress of 2000 decade by boi

harun98 thumbnail

Gaslighting much?

You are the one who tried to minimise MD's contribution to the success of DTPH. AND at the same time praised Kajol for Gupt + Ishq (putting her ahead of MD in the process) where in reality it was a shared co-lead with Juhi/Manisha.

And now you're trying to make it sound like others were perpetuating this?

Quite cheap tactics. Hence the argument falling apart.

DTPH success credit went to srk and karishma mostly. Karishma even got a national award for it

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Madhuri was the biggest star till 1995 but after that she starred in some really shitty movies barring DTPH and Mrityudaata

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Madhuri had one DTPH.

Kajol had Ishq+Gupt.

Karisma had DTPH+Judwaa+Hero No.1

It's pure math.

And go through the comments before this, you'd see DTPH's success credited to Madhuri, which is what I was responding to.

YOU, stop gaslighting please.

Pure math? Yikes. Let me break things down for you.

Let's start with Kajol. In Gupt, her screen time was shared with Manisha. The main protagonist was Bobby Deol. Half the story was involving his family members. Kajol's character comes and goes. And she was nominated in sub categories: Best Villain. Basically a side role. In Ishq, she was competing with Juhi Chawla. Juhi had first billing, and slightly more footage/mileage. Juhi I believe was nominated for Best Actress for it at Zee Cine Awards / Screen Awards. Kajol = nothing. She was the fourth lead in that film. Yes, she performed well, but looking into the NUMBERS you see that her impact was not as much as would appear at first.

Karisma Kapoor had a very successful year for sure. And she was coming off a successful 1996 too. Hero No.1 was a big hit, but if you have seen the film, She has very few scenes, and 6 songs. Hardly the markings of No.1 actress tag alone. And again, in Judwaa her screen time was split between hers and Rambha's individual storylines. Not to mention the double Salman's other scenes without either of the girls. So basically Rambha was in 20% of the film, Karisma max 30%. And in DTPH Karisma, again, was in a Supporting Role. Her character disappears for a third of the film, and then she returns and stands in the background for several scenes. Putting her ahead of Madhuri just doesn't make sense.

Madhuri Dixit was the LEAD in DTPH, the biggest film event of the year. She is the central point of focus in the film, she won ALL the awards for it. Madhuri mania was back. She also had Koyla which you've completed disregarded. It was a hit. Not to mention all the songs that were hugely popular and still are today. Mrityudand was another big moment for her in 1997. Rave reviews, nominations, music. In fact, I just remembered she won Best Actress Award for it at Screen Awards and Sansui Awards. And even if you look at the flop, Mohabbat, it had some positives: a good opening, hit songs, pairing with hottest young actor: Akshaye Khanna. All these things added up in favour of Madhuri easily being FAR ahead of Kajol in 1997. And very closely competing with Karisma: in my personal opinion I'd give the slight edge to Madhuri, but if someone prefers Karisma I wouldn't say they were crazy.

EDIT: Madhuri had rejected Juhi's role in Ishq because she thought it was an insignificant part even though the film had huge hit potential.

And, according to Google, Koyla had the same box office collections as Judaai. Kaun Sachcha Kaun Jhootha: Sridevi's ACTUAL final film (which released 2 months after Judaai) was so forgetful that nobody ever mentions it. So if you think Sridevi was ahead of Madhuri in 1997, that's the final nail in the coffin for your analysis.

Edited by Rekha_ji - 3 years ago
Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Pure math? Yikes. Let me break things down for you.

Let's start with Kajol. In Gupt, her screen time was shared with Manisha. The main protagonist was Bobby Deol. Half the story was involving his family members. Kajol's character comes and goes. And she was nominated in sub categories: Best Villain. Basically a side role. In Ishq, she was competing with Juhi Chawla. Juhi had first billing, and slightly more footage/mileage. Juhi I believe was nominated for Best Actress for it at Zee Cine Awards / Screen Awards. Kajol = nothing. She was the fourth lead in that film. Yes, she performed well, but looking into the NUMBERS you see that her impact was not as much as would appear at first.

Karisma Kapoor had a very successful year for sure. And she was coming off a successful 1996 too. Hero No.1 was a big hit, but if you have seen the film, She has very few scenes, and 6 songs. Hardly the markings of No.1 actress tag alone. And again, in Judwaa her screen time was split between hers and Rambha's individual storylines. Not to mention the double Salman's other scenes without either of the girls. So basically Rambha was in 20% of the film, Karisma max 30%. And in DTPH Karisma, again, was in a Supporting Role. Her character disappears for a third of the film, and then she returns and stands in the background for several scenes. Putting her ahead of Madhuri just doesn't make sense.

Madhuri Dixit was the LEAD in DTPH, the biggest film event of the year. She is the central point of focus in the film, she won ALL the awards for it. Madhuri mania was back. She also had Koyla which you've completed disregarded. It was a hit. Not to mention all the songs that were hugely popular and still are today. Mrityudand was another big moment for her in 1997. Rave reviews, nominations, music. In fact, I just remembered she won Best Actress Award for it at Screen Awards and Sansui Awards. And even if you look at the flop, Mohabbat, it had some positives: a good opening, hit songs, pairing with hottest young actor: Akshaye Khanna. All these things added up in favour of Madhuri easily being FAR ahead of Kajol in 1997. And very closely competing with Karisma: in my personal opinion I'd give the slight edge to Madhuri, but if someone prefers Karisma I wouldn't say they were crazy.

EDIT: Madhuri had rejected Juhi's role in Ishq because she thought it was an insignificant part even though the film had huge hit potential.

And, according to Google, Koyla had the same box office collections as Judaai. Kaun Sachcha Kaun Jhootha: Sridevi's ACTUAL final film (which released 2 months after Judaai) was so forgetful that nobody ever mentions it. So if you think Sridevi was ahead of Madhuri in 1997, that's the final nail in the coffin for your analysis.

LMAO, so are we counting number of scenes and screen time now? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Kajol had less screen time than Manisha in Gupt, and apparently that doesn't make it as much her film as it does Manisha's? What a joke. Anyone would identify Gupt with Kajol before any other actor. And KAJOL had sufficient screen time to be considered a protagonist. Don't get started with the silly Filmfare awards like "Best Villain" and try to invalidate her success.

Same goes for Karishma.

Madhuri was past her prime by 1996 and that's what the numbers say. 90% of her movies after that had flopped. And numbers don't lie.