Users

Frequent Posters

palml thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Acknowledged her superstardom.

But...

Madhuri's looks and dancing skills actually saved her from being called out for the below average actress she was/is. Blandness is not same as subtlety. Subtle was a Tabu. Subtle was a Juhi when she actually chose not to be lazy. Subtle was a Manisha when she focused.

Once Madhuri's youth and beauty wore off, her relative lack of acting skills actually became glaringly evident. Take her Aaja Nacchle or Gulabi Gang.

😕Madhuri is still beautiful.
khamosshhh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Acknowledged her superstardom.

But...

Madhuri's looks and dancing skills actually saved her from being called out for the below average actress she was/is. Blandness is not same as subtlety. Subtle was a Tabu. Subtle was a Juhi when she actually chose not to be lazy. Subtle was a Manisha when she focused.

Once Madhuri's youth and beauty wore off, her relative lack of acting skills actually became glaringly evident. Take her Aaja Nacchle or Gulabi Gang.

Beg to differ.

That's exactly y after Madhuri, Tabu is my fav, coz of her subtly. Always prefer actors who don't scream acting, if you know what I mean. Yes Gulabi Gang didn't work for me either, but MD was so good in Aaja Nachle. Was recently watching random scenes from the movie and the movie and Madhuri in it were so underrated. Also one has to just watch that Devdas scene where MD confronts SRK to see the range of emotions she displays in those few minutes and her voice modulation is so good. IMO she's just not given credit for her acting and like I said it's coz her dancing n looks/ smile overshadow her acting skills. Even in Tezaab her first major hit, she's so raw n real.

Anyways sorry for the long rant, but can't help when it comes to MD.

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: khamosshhh

It baffles me when Madhuri is referred to as an average actor.

Exactly. It's a huge red flag when you read someone post something so ridiculous. Madhuri Dixit is hands down Top 10 best ACTresses of all-time. There is no denying it. Taking away the dance and the glamour, just based on performance, she's supremely talented.

Although I couldn't believe how bad she was in Gulaab Gang. I couldn't believe what I was experiencing in the cinema that day. And to have Juhi Chawla outshining her was even more mind-boggling. I wasn't overly impressed with Kalank or Dedh Ishqiya too very much. She REALLY needs to find her mojo again. Performance-wise she was on fire during Pukar (2000), Lajja (2001), Devdas (2002) phase, for me.

1123225 thumbnail

Those who think Madhuri is anything more than average (at best) in acting probably need to watch some non BW movies.

Madhuri's relative lack of skill is glaringly evident in her recent movies because there is no more youthful sex appeal to mask the weaknesses.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

Madhuri Dixit is hands down Top 10 best ACTresses of all-time.

It’s all right here

https://m.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-reader-s-pick-top-ten-actresses-in-bollywood-of-all-time-100-years/20130503.htm

1. Madhuri DixitUpdated on: May 3, 2013 15:54 IST

Numero uno, again?

Clearly, the response to Aaja Nachle doesn't change much.

No actress until Madhuri Dixit has had enjoyed such a heady hold on her audience. Many have emulated her since but found half the success.

Right from Mohini's Ek do teen phenomenon in Tezaab to the delicate adas of Chandramukhi in Devdas, Madhuri, of the million-dollar smile, of the radiant expressions, of the nimble, abandoned dance moves, is a complete package.

From embodying vulnerability in Parinda, strength in Mrityudand, romance in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun and M F Hussain's free-flowing inspiration in Gaja Gamini, her surreal charms are a yardstick for greatness.

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

I'm glad you changed the narrative. At first it was "Aishwarya reigned" in the latter half of the 90s. I'm glad we agree she "reigned" for the last 6 months of the decade.

According to your logic: Kajol owned 1997 because she had Ishq and Gupt. You didn't even mention her co-stars Juhi or Manisha who were big stars themselves. But for Madhuri's DTPH, you mention Karisma.

And Sridevi? Let's not forget Urmila was a huge selling point in that movie too. In fact, Sridevi was not even on some pressings of the album cover. Because she was coming off a massive era of flops. Much bigger and longer than the 2 flops Madhuri had in 1996 which you have repeated several times.

Your bias is showing.

There is no change of narrative. It is your selective reading that is giving you misguided interpretations.

I am still clear about the fact that Kajol, Karishma and Aishwarya ruled the roost in the latter half of the 90s and "Madhuri the superstar" was but a myth in those times.

Oh, and ETA. I love how everyone is suddenly remembering what a huge star Urmila was, in trying to discredit Sridevi's role in making Judaai a mega hit. However, same logic doesn't apply to DTPH isn't it? Karishma was a much bigger commercial actress than Urmila and yet Madhuri is supposed to be the reason behind the success of DTPH? 😂

Edited by Lord_Voldemort - 3 years ago
1123225 thumbnail

1. Success and superstardom are not the same as acting capability. If so, might as well claim MD was better than Smita Patil😆

2. Even Rediff doesn't claim she's anything more than top 10 in BOLYWOOD. They'd prob be laughed out of town if they did.

Calling MD one of the best in acting is even more laughable than calling Alia Meryl Streep. Because Alia can actually act when she's not trying to be a sex symbol.

Seriously, peeps. Look outside Bollywood a time or two. See real acting on screen. Not that everyone in regional cinema is good. But they usually can recognize mediocre acting and don't label it good just because the lady is super successful.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Success and superstardom are not the same as acting capability. If so, might as well claim MD was better than Smita Patil😆

2. Even Rediff doesn't claim she's anything more than top 10 in BOLYWOOD. They'd prob be laughed out of town if they did.

Calling MD one of the best in acting is even more laughable than calling Alia Meryl Streep. Because Alia can actually act when she's not trying to be a sex symbol.

My needle is still stuck on Varun and Sara’s love affair 😆

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Haila_tu

That's not true. The article clearly states Ghayal is the top grosser of 1990.

This wasn't a re-run years after release like Mughal E Azam in color or something. Ghayal was a phenomena like HAHK where screens were added months after release even in A centres like Mumbai. The distributors always make money even on a re-release years after. They own the film in that particular area, not the exhibitors. Usually its only D centres that play old films and the amount is negligible where adding it won't make any difference.

Dil started out stronger because of a top 15 album of all time(sales) but Ghayal overtook it eventually. Regardless both are 300 Cr+ Massive blockbusters in todays time.

It was a rerelease. The BOI article also mentions that.

Ghayal started to catch Dil up in 1991 with strong repeat runs as Sunny Deol consolidated the action image. The business of Ghayal remained lower than Dil in Delhi / UP and East India but in other circuits it caught up and went ahead. It became the highest grossing film of 1990 in early 1992 as it collected almost 1 crore nett in a huge repeat run in Mumbai circuit.

Doesn't matter how many years later Ghayal was rereleased. The movie didn't cross the collections of Dil in its original run....and all trade sites consider Dil as the highest grosser of the year 1990, because collections from rerelease are never added to the lifetime collections of a movie.

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Oh, and ETA. I love how everyone is suddenly remembering what a huge star Urmila was, in trying to discredit Sridevi's role in making Judaai a mega hit. However, same logic doesn't apply to DTPH isn't it? Karishma was a much bigger commercial actress than Urmila and yet Madhuri is supposed to be the reason behind the success of DTPH? 😂

Gaslighting much?

You are the one who tried to minimise MD's contribution to the success of DTPH. AND at the same time praised Kajol for Gupt + Ishq (putting her ahead of MD in the process) where in reality it was a shared co-lead with Juhi/Manisha.

And now you're trying to make it sound like others were perpetuating this?

Quite cheap tactics. Hence the argument falling apart.