Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

Kedarnath

Bollywood has had some disaster films like Burning Train and Kaala Patthar, but they are a rare genre. Kedarnath is perhaps the most well-known disaster flick of modern times. Instead of being a unique film, it borrows heavily from the template of the most successful disaster film of all time - Titanic. 

A real-life natural disaster that actually took place. Check. 

A combination of nature's fury exacerbated by human hubris and folly. Check. 

A capricious and controlling fiance blinded by his narrow prejudices. Check. 

A woman unhappy with her social shackles and seeking a relationship that is more fulfilling and meaningful. Check. 

A family that is keener on social appearances than personal happiness. Check. 

A young man who dares to defy social barriers and dream above his stature. Check. 

A hero who has to die because the writers cannot think of a more fitting climax than star-crossed lovers being entrapped in eternal heartbreak for their defiance. Check. 

It even had a "dressed in our best and prepared to go down as gentlemen" moment, or more like "a yogi who has surrendered to the holy valley and prepared to go down in its fury" moment. 

The only things missing were perhaps the band that played on and the unsinkable Molly Brown. 

For a debut performance, Kedarnath is better than anything else Sara Ali Khan has done since. Sushant Singh Rajput is genuinely charming as Mansoor. It is a pity Bollywood no longer has a lead with schoolboy charms like Sushant. 

Compared to Kai Po Che, Kedarnath is more on the nose with its communal harmony message. Which makes it even more ironic how SSR's death is being used by some anti-Bollywood element. There is a communal tinge to it that goes against the principles of the kind of roles SSR himself took. 

Kamala05 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

777 Charli 

I have been waiting for its OTT release but only Kannada language was available in Voot. Because of the hype I rented Tamil dubbed version in Amazon prime for Rs.129 . 

The protagonist of the movie is Dharma.He is a lonely person,who lives a monotonous boring life. He lost his parents and sister in childhood in an accident due to a dog .

In the opening scene of the movie a dog escapes from a cruel breeder and find his residence near to the garbage placed in Dharma's residential area. Dharma unknowingly feeds the dog as he never eats his food fully ,he daily throws the waste in the garbage. The dog likes Dharma and follows him everyday . Will seemingly aloof Dharma reciprocate the same feelings to the dog ? 

The movie made me very emotional and couldn't stop tears towards the end . Believe me I hardly cries watching a movie . 

This has to be best movie I watched in 2022 and must say with this my perception about Kannada film industry changed positively. The IMDB rating of this movie is 8+ and it is rightfully rated. If you are a movie fan you should not miss this as there is not a single boring moment. 

Edited by Kamala05 - 1 years ago

Four More Shots Please S3

4MSP is India's Sex and the City set in Bombay. Even though many people cringed at the sex-positive and progressive protagonists, I lapped up the first two seasons. I find their totally Bombay lifestyle relatable.

I don't know if I have gotten older and more conservative or the characters got cringe - I found myself exhausted by some of the antics this season. More specifically Damini and Siddhi. 

I understand that a miscarriage is an emotionally wrenching situation for many women, and some of Damini's reactions I empathize with. But her progression through the season is a dumpster fire. I wanted to yell at the screen and call her a selfish c-word. Hers is the kind of shit that makes people hate feminism. 

Siddhi was another dumpster fire. In her place, it is her hypocrisy. For two seasons she has been screaming about women's sexual freedom - but she has no sympathy or support for her widowed mom who is lonely and seeking companionship. Her jokes at the expense of her mom and her entire standup routine were unfunny and exhausting. The worst is how she pushes everyone away. 

I had a lot of sympathy for Anjana though. She's trying to make amends for mistakes she's made but she's trapped in a messy situation and cannot help reliving the past. But God, her daughter Arya made me wish gruesome violence upon a child - how can one human possibly be so annoying?

Mangs too was sympathetic. She's rebounding hard after a breakup. I felt like she hadn't done anything wrong but was made to feel like she was messing up. And the way she describes her feelings for men and women was so relatable - men are great to have sex with but it's hard to imagine relationships with them, women are just so much more fulfilling on the relationship front. Big bisexual energy. 

Overall, its a breezy trashy drama like the past two seasons. But while I enjoy flawed women they get to be too much this season. 

Werewolf by Night

Morbius, Marvel's first foray into the League of Monsters was a disaster, so I was unsure about this one. But its a quick breezy horror action adventure. I enjoyed the black-and-white ambiance and style. 

Kamala05 thumbnail

Kantara

Just came back from theatre and still in awe . 

The movie is directed by Rishab Shetty .He is the main actor of the movie as well. The story takes place in the forest area of Karnataka. It depicts the culture, beliefs of the people who lives there.

I will not give any spoiler as this movie completely demands theatre experience. Whatever money you spend for theatre , the last 20 minutes will compensate it with interest. I don't think OTT will justify the experience. Rishab Shetty ,if someone else win this year's national award ,then it can be confirmed that it is bogus.

What a performance man ? 

The movie is stunningly shot using long takes. It makes it seem like the entire film is one long shot. I wish I had seen it in the theaters because the advertisements and small screen really inhibited the sweeping atmosphere. I can imagine how good it must have been on the big screen. 

Borat

Saw Borat for the first time. I prefer Sacha Baron Cohen in more serious roles. This was not my cup of tea. A bit too crass and vulgar for my taste. But it did have some poignant social commentary about everything wrong with American culture. 

Borat: Subsequent movie film

Again, a bit too crass and vulgar for me. But I must confess, this one made me laugh a lot. It also hits harder than the previous film and has a better narrative arc. 

I was shocked at the doctor who was more concerned about convincing a girl not to get an abortion than reporting to the authorities that a man had potentially raped his daughter. I was shocked at the dad at the debutante ball who laughs and gives Borat a price for Tutar. Even his daughter said its gross. And Rudy Guiliani was the grossest. I mean he totally would have hooked up with Tutar had Borat not interrupted. 

I didn't loathe the two QAnon conspiracists as much as the others. Sure they were bigoted and violent. But then they also took in Borat and talked to him about women's rights and tolerated his nonsense. I am most conflicted about them. 

And take a bow Maria Bakalova who is brilliant as Tutar. OMG! How did she do some of those scenes with a straight face? I want to see Bodies Bodies Bodies just for her.  

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Frasier a brilliant show

Kamala05 thumbnail

Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana

It was definitely a revelation while browsing  Kantara reviews. This is a gangster movie yet cannot confined it to one single genre. One has to watch this to experience the cinematic brilliance. I watched this Kannada movie in Zee5 with English subtitles which didn't limit my enjoyment.

The narrator of the story is Brahmaiah , a cop who initially gives an impression that he is not suitable for this job as he seems to be weak, mild and fragile. He got transferred to Mangaladevi ,a small town in Mangalore where the power is in the hands of gangster duo Shiva and Hari. The changing relationship,the shades of Shiva and the ultimate fate of these people is the main storyline.

Raj B Shetty,one of the main hero of the movie who played the character Shiva is the director of the movie . I don't think if it wasn't him anyone else could understand and deliver the same impact because the character of Shiva is unpredictable and unexplainable in words đź‘Ź. Along with the perfect casting the BGM is outstanding and it goes with the flow of the movieđź‘Ź. This is certainly another must watch for cinema lovers .

The King of Staten Island

This semibiographical coming-of-age dramedy is based on Pete Davidson himself. Pete plays Scott, a fictional version of himself. Scott is a 24-year-old stoner who still lives with his mom. He aspires to be a tattoo artist but spends most of his time bumming around with his friends and getting high.  

But there is an aspect of Scott beyond being a stoner slacker. He's deeply traumatized from his father's death while firefighting (Pete lost his own father on 09/11). He's never quite emotionally recovered from the trauma. He's an exceptionally talented artist, surprisingly charming, and funny. Everyone sees potential in him but he sells himself short. 

When his mother finally starts moving on and dating after 17 years Scott is initially ecstatic and happy for her - Until he finds out she's dating a firefighter who has a history with Scott. The situation forces Scott to face his unresolved trauma and finally grow up. 

Judd Apatow presents a surprisingly profound slice-of-life film. There is a lot of tenderness and emotion folded into the humor. It makes you realize what a self-aware and self-deprecating guy Pete is and that's what makes him disarming. Marisa Tomei, Bill Burr, and Steve Buscemi really shine in their respective roles. Moises Arias (Rico from Hannah Montana) also surprised me as Igor. 

I probably wouldn't watch this in the theaters but its worth a watch. 

The Old Guard

The Old Guard refers to a bunch of immortal mercenaries who have been using their powers to help humans. However, the modern changing world presents them with a villain and power unlike any they have encountered before. They now have to fight for both their survival and their secrecy. 

Instead of a high-octane CGI adventure, The Old Guard relies more on close combat fighting and tense thrills in moments. Charlize Theron proves that she's a solid action star. But the movie ends up feeling a bit soft and subdued for an action superhero film.