Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Partner Track 

This is Gossip Girls meets Suits. It even had a Harvey Specter knock off. Oh and get this, a black gay lawyer who is into fashion. Shocker. Netflix is so formulaic it's not even funny anymore. Kinda felt like I was watching Emily in Paris but with lawyers. No wait, this was exactly it. The lead is a horrible woman same as in Emily in Paris, I don't know if we were to sympathize with her? 

Is it formulaic? Yes 

Does it have fancy clothes and locations with no regards to the actual story? Yes

Is it dry and contrary? Yes 

Will I waste 10 hours watching the second season if it ever comes out because I have nothing better to do? Absolutely yes. 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Laal Singh Chadda

LSC may not be the kind of movie people want to watch. But it is the kind of movie people need to watch. We all need to experience the world through the eyes of naive and innocent Laal. 

Overall, LSC is a family-friendly feel-good movie that will make you laugh and cry as you follow Laal's journey through life. I definitely felt warm and fuzzy after watching it. 

It is by no means a perfect film. It falters in many ways. The biggest being Aamir Khan himself. The actor resorts to exaggerated expressions and verbal tics where a grounded simplicity would have spoken volumes. The actor playing young Laal nails the character's wide-eyed innocence. The Rupa underwear story is also contrived and on the nose. 

But despite the massive missteps the story still holds. Mona Singh is phenomenal as Laal's mother. Kareena Kapoor's Rupa also gets a better narrative than Forrest Gump's Jenny. The cinematography for the run across India is also stunning. 

Had this film been released in pre-pandemic India, I think it would have done decently well. It is not mega-blockbuster material. But the film in now way deserved all the flak and negativity it received. 

Hocus Pocus (1993)

I had never seen Hocus Pocus before this. It's sort of this Halloween cult classic in the United States. All the 90s kids in the states grew up watching it. They rewatch it every October. With the sequel being the new rage, I decided to finally watch the original. 

Overall, Hocus Pocus is a pretty regular run-of-the-mill Disney movie. It is a PG movie, so it really isn't scary at all. The humor is mild-mannered and kid-friendly and not as punchy as some modern horror comedies. 

What I think makes Hocus Pocus a beloved classic (besides nostalgia) is the Sanderson sisters. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker totally own their roles. They're playing witches in a kid's movie - they're silly villains - but they give it a 100% and bring the movie alive. Without them, Hocus Pocus may have just been a forgotten kid's film. 

It's a fun "horror" film for the family (unless you're a Karen or your kids are p******)

D3viL thumbnail

the legend of maula jatt

Apologies for the quick review.

It was better than any bolly movie hands down.

Although mahira khan whom I went to see the movie for was a little flat .. preformance not chest. 

*edit now that I have thought about it... both

Edited by D3viL - 1 years ago

Originally posted by: D3viL

the legend of maula jatt

Although mahira khan whom I went to see the movie for was a little flat .. preformance not chest. 

yes it was !! I liked and in case you know or at least understand Punjabi Diljit latest babe Bhangra bade is really good !! 

Originally posted by: D3viL

the legend of maula jatt

lol I just read ur description on mahira so without editing 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hocus Pocus 2

Now this one was fun. I laughed a lot more during this one. Some of the gags were really clever. The whole Walgreens sequence was silly and fun. The fair was also fun. But I loved the Roombas the best. The Swiffer too was hilarious. 

Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker still rock as the Sanderson sisters. Their musical numbers are fun. And SJP seems like she's having a blast being goofy. 

Something unexpected in this one was the humanizing of the witches. The first movie was pretty black and white with witchcraft - with the witches being evil. This movie gives them more of a backstory, an emotional element, and shows that witchcraft can be for good. It also alludes to the puritanical patriarchal views that led to witchcraft. Women who did not comply with social standards were outcast as witches. 

This is truly a fun Halloween film. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Udja Chaman was good

I saw parts of LSC and it was bad

She-Hulk

Tatiana Maslany shot to fame in Orphan Black. The drama series saw her play at least a dozen different clones through the run time of the show - each with a unique personality. She's a phenomenal performer. 

This time she gets to utilize her acting chops for some comedy. But, She-Hulk is more sitcom than an action adventure superhero show. So,I think it is important to manage expectations. It has some fun cameos, obscure characters, and a breezy touch.

While odd at first, you get used to the breaking of the fourth wall (but it doesn't hit Deadpool heights). Unfortunately, the show is let down by some poor CGI and weakly developed villains. I am still in two minds about that finale. 

Atrangi Re

What a bizarre mix of PTSD and Electra complex. I like the concept. There is a lack of love stories exploring mental illness and how it affects relationships. But the story was flimsy and didn't make sense. 

Delhi Crime S2

I had assumed Delhi Crime was a limited series. It was created to narrate a specific story. So I was skeptical when S2 was announced. It felt like they were stretching the popularity. 

But season 2 gives the characters another gripping case to show their mettle and grow in. Although not as riveting as S1, S2 is a taut 5-episode engaging thriller. We see the characters go through professional and personal struggles. We see both the heroic and slimy sides of police work. 

PS: The first few frames where they show the first break-in - I was like this is a woman burglar. The eyes, the movement, very female. Did anyone else feel the same? 

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Take a bow, Aaron Sorkin. You know how to create a political drama. Two hours of mostly courtroom scenes just flew by. I was glued to the screen. The entire ensemble cast does a phenomenal job.