Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rish_Rubles thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: Cortana

Few questions I have been musing on

1. Anyone know of a good online resource for grammar rules?

2. How easy is it to create and maintain a blog?
     Which are the best platforms? 

3. When you get stuck for ideas, any helpful writing exercises anyone can share?

That's all for now, thanks in advance! 

Arya

I may not be able to answer your first two Qs but here in the third one, are you stuck in the middle of the story or you need fresh ideas to start upon and cant get one? 
Edited by Rish_Rubles - 8 years ago
not.here thumbnail
^ ideas wise I'm okay for now. 
   I was thinking in general terms when someone is stuck in writing are there any writing exercises as such that you have known to help. If so willing to share?
Rish_Rubles thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Oops I'm late in replying.
I dont know any such writing exercises for ideas but this is what i mainly do yo start a new story, i have a number of different situations, they're inspired from real life issues and also from a book or serial, you can always alter it according to your convenience. Then i have characters set in different professions. I keep noting it all down. Then for a new story i just fit them into places whichever situation and character suits the best with eat other.
If stuck in the middle of a story for ideas, you simply read your story as a reader. Think what they would like to read. 
These are just the tips rather exercises..
asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Cortana

Few questions I have been musing on

1. Anyone know of a good online resource for grammar rules?

2. How easy is it to create and maintain a blog?
     Which are the best platforms? 

3. When you get stuck for ideas, any helpful writing exercises anyone can share?

That's all for now, thanks in advance! 

Arya

1. Online resource for grammar rules:

http://www.grammarly.com/handbook

2. It's easy to create a blog and the maintenance is all dependent on how dedicated you are to it. If you are passionate about what you are producing, you will be taking care of it on a daily basis to ensure you reach out to a wide audience.

As for the platforms, the best ones are Wordpress, and Tumblr. But there are other sites such as LiveJournal, blogger, etc. that work in the same manner.

3. When you get stuck, sometimes the best thing you can do is take a break. It is a novel idea to write something every day, but you can burn yourself out. When this happens, take a step back, and busy yourself in other activities. Then come back and start writing when the inspiration strikes.

If you are looking for a new idea, write whatever is on your mind. Do the stream of conscious activity where you write for fifteen minutes, non-stop, every day without pause. Sometimes, the mind can get so jumbled up with thoughts, you just need to have it written out so that you can gain some perspective on it.

You could also do some prompts. You can do a word of the day, or have a scenario prompted to you. Simply write whatever comes out of it and see where it takes you.

Do let me know if any of this was helpful to you.
not.here thumbnail

@ Rish

Thank you for the great tips. Will note them down

@ asmaanixx

Thank you for the grammar website, it will come in extremely handy for me!

I think tumblr and livejournal might be the best as they are easy to delete. Blogger will probably require me to delete my entire Gmail account.

Yup! You have both given some really good advice so thank you once again.
Edited by Cortana - 8 years ago
pillowtalk thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
edit Edited by laughingpearls - 7 years ago
asmaanixx thumbnail
laughingpearls - Next time, refrain from using all caps as it means you are shouting over the Internet. As for your fiction, it does not matter which Riddhima you use. If your writing is strong enough, the audience can see any actress play that role out.

Title suggestions: 

- Hum Dono
- Ek Main Aur Ek Tu
- Because You're My Mirror
pillowtalk thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
thank you so much for your help and ha I will surely stop using capital letters from next time... I didn't know it means shouting...thank you for informing...
CrazzyBusy thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I am not if this is the right place to ask my question, but I am in a doubt. 
Actually, I am using online poems, for which I am giving full credit provided by the original website link. So my real question is that, is that enough to do so because I don't want to get into any plagiarism or copyright issue.
Hope I made sense.
asmaanixx thumbnail

Originally posted by: CrazzyBusy

I am not if this is the right place to ask my question, but I am in a doubt. 

Actually, I am using online poems, for which I am giving full credit provided by the original website link. So my real question is that, is that enough to do so because I don't want to get into any plagiarism or copyright issue.
Hope I made sense.

You are making sense. Don't worry about the coherency.

In what manner are you using the poems? Is it as a quote, an epigraph or as a part of a letter?