Moor (Review): It's Pakistani cinema at its finest

August 13, 2015
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter

Movie Name: Moor

Release Date: August 14, 2015

Director: Jamshed Mahmood (Jami)

Review by: Aayan Mirza

When Waar hit local cinemas back in 2013, it turned out to be a bar setting film for all the upcoming ones in more than one ways. Even those who were not much generous with their compliments for the film, accepted the fact that it was the best visual offer Pakistani Cinema had made so far.

But that was then and this is now. It took Pakistani cinema around two years to reset the bar, higher than where it had been set earlier by Waar. All thanks to Moor, and of course the people behind it.

Moor's is a beautiful story set in the backdrop of the eventual fall of Pakistan Railways, most specifically in the Zhob-Bostan areas of Balochistan province, due to the rising corruption in the department and the subsequent birth of land and route-bus mafias; spiralling and entangling the common local lives of the area and those with honest attachment to their land and Railways.

Moor 2

The story, although, was about an issue having a social and political face, but never in the entire run of of the film you will ever find it to be somehow, preachy. Instead, it were the the emotions shown on the screen, the individual stories, and showing it all through the particular lens of each character, was what made the film the awesomeness that it was.

A little slow yes, and a little too dragged for my own liking, but that's something you have got to give to a dramatic film. The story was also a little fragmented, in the first half specially, which for a regular first time viewer, like me, meant for some confusions lasting till the very end of the film, but the overall mood created on-screen by Jami was so fresh and serene, coupled with some amazing performances, that it didn't leave much capacity in one to hold a grudge over the weaknesses of the film.

The story and the screenplay in one word were, gentle.' Not preachingly preachy, yet amazingly captivating. Not infused with much on-screen noise and hullabaloo, yet quite eventful. Not too thrilling for one's liking maybe, yet not letting you yawn for even a moment.

Moor Poster

The acting department spearheaded by Hameed Sheikh was simply a treat within a treat. God, the performances. I would actually like to thank Shoaib Mansoor here. Thank You sir, thank you for bringing the greatness that is Hameed Sheikh in the film world. And I will be honest here, Hameed Sheikh did make me shed few tears. The film was about Waheed (Hameed's character) and Hameed Sheikh gave it the best he has given to a film up till now.

Shaaz Khan, playing Waheed's son Ehsan Khan, too was simply at home with his character and scenes. He not only looked good, well into his character, but his subtle acting with just the right expressions for each line kept the film right on its track when it could have easily been de-tracked due to him being a first-timer.

Ayaz Samoo, too, couldn't be any more perfect. Honestly, I didn't expect much from him since I hadn't really seen him in a full time actor role before. But great performance nevertheless. I felt sorry for him the last time he was in a Jami film (O21), since he was given the screen space next to nothing, but his performance in Moor was a very well done effort to get recognised as an actor. Good job.

Samiya Mumtaz only had a flashback role and wasn't really a permanent part of the screen. And although I am a big fan, a fan since her Dil-e-Nadaan days, but her performance in the film didn't convince me. It was partly because of a very underdeveloped character, and partly because of she being not entirely comfortable in a Pashtun role. I wished more out of her character.

Other actors including the veteran Shabbir Rana, Nayyar Ejaz and Sultan Hussain all performed to the utmost satisfaction given whatever space they had in the story. Sonya Hussain playing Amber, however, was a little linear in her part, not necessarily an acting flaw, but her part, nevertheless, did look a bit flat.

Now the very special mention, the Baggoo Baba of Moor, played with such excellence by the veteran actor Abdul Qadir was the reason Moor not only made you sob but also smile from time to time. The acting was just, wow, with the comic, emotional and seriousness portions all stirred up well. One more fan from the new generation to Mr. Abdul Qadir.

Jami gave an amazing direction to the film. Each shot, each cut, each scene spoke something positive of the directorial abilities of Jami. The characters, a few of them, though did look a little underdeveloped but the ones that did ripe well, made up more than just good for the film's shortcomings. This I put to Jami's credit and criticism since he not only directed the film but also penned its screenplay. In one line, it was Jami, the director winning it over Jami, the screenwriter. Not by a big margin though.

The soundtrack of the film was just some amazing music to the ears. Though it didn't have the Strings- The band' feel, but the music sounded very similar to the feel of Strings - the music composer.' My favourite tracks being these three, Tabagaar Hoon by Jawed Bashir, Eva by Meesha Shafi and Gul Bashri by Rahim Shah, in this particular order.

Moor 1The amazing Balochistan

One special mention goes for the film's cinematographer for capturing Balochistan like it has never been before. Sheer awesomeness. Balochistan is just breathtaking. If you think you have seen Pakistan because you have been up north, be prepared to be blown away by the very distinct beauty that this western province of our country possesses. It's an absolute shame that the movie won't be screening there. If only Balochistan had cinemas too.

BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
vasay chaudhry @vasaych 3h3 hours ago
1/1Shah,Moor & DMPS are totally different movies frm the regular local films in terms of content,technical aspects,cinematography,Sound etc

vasay chaudhry @vasaych 3h3 hours ago
1/2 now if U guys dont make success stories outta these 3 films Then DONT crib and Criticise Local Cinema abt being,This Or That !

vasay chaudhry retweeted
Mahira Khan @TheMahiraKhan 14m14 minutes ago
@vasaych I have to say, the public is ready to make success stories, they have and they will! Salute to them. now let's make more cinemas :)
BlackStar. thumbnail
REVIEW: Despite all odds, Shah' rises beyond expectations

Photography by: Pyar Ali Amir AliA riveting tale of a boxer who refuses to give up and fights the odds, however large they may be stacked against him.
How debutant Adnan Sarwar was able to weave out such a brilliant, action-packed movie is certainly mystifying. Shah isn't simply a movie that focuses on one boxer's triumph or his fight against another contender; Shah is about an athlete against the whole system.

The movie begins with a journalist keen on unearthing the story behind Shah's forgotten legacy and digs deep. A sober yet beleaguered Shah tells his story to an interviewer, and we're taken back in time. Shah, a young boy from Lyari, is devoid of proper food, clothing and shelter. One day, a man (whom he later on calls Chacha) saves him from a hostile police officer and becomes his guardian.

The young boy Shah labours for work (literally) but his love for boxing finds himself joining a local boxing training center in Lyari. Syed Hussain Shah soon grows up into a fine young man and boxes for a living, earning as little as Rs. 50. His boxing skills and never-give-up attitude earns him a coveted spot; a boxing match against an Indian boxer and that too, in India! The nepotist and corrupt Sports Federation does little to help out Shah though, not even buying him a pair of athletic shoes for his international bouts!We next see Shah go toe-to-toe against the Indian champion, with the biased crowd booing Shah and egging their local champion on. After a dismal round and being pounded hard by the Indian boxer, Shah takes one look at the relentless crowd spewing hatred for him and decides that enough is enough. As soon as the bell rings and the round commences, Shah forces the Indian champion to kiss the canvas, courtesy killer blows dealt out in a flurry of seconds. As Shah is awarded the gold medal, the crowd goes silent and Pakistan's national anthem is played in India. Myself along with every single attendee, stood up as proud Pakistanis whilst that scene lasted.

He finally gets some recognition at home and the Sports Federation official (corrupt to the core, by the way) offers him an opportunity to box at the Olympics.And yes, they finally decide to reward him, with a pair of shoes!After Shah wins the bronze medal in Seoul, he returns back home to a hero's welcome. Promised a plot of land and a handsome amount, Shah considers settling down and starting a boxing gym. However, things take a turn for the worse as the boxer is defrauded from his prizes and continues to go back to his poverty-stricken lifestyle. Going from riches to rags, Shah is evicted from his house and to make matters worse, his uncle dies. As a last resort, he does to London and fights for a handsome amount.All in all, the movie has stellar action scenes and is of a unique nature. Shah delivers where most movies fail; Adnan Sarwar carries the whole movie without a song, a melodramatic plot or any high-profile cast. The movie also features a couple of hilarious scenes and sharp-witted comedy. Adnan Sarwar channels his emotional side and plays a boxer who refuses to throw in the towel, perfectly.As fans poured out of the theaters, everyone spoke highly of the film. Humayun Saeed said the movie was "One of the best films of the year" and also voiced his view that Adnan was a great actor.

Adnan Siddiqui revealed that the movie had a powerful effect on him and that Adnan Sarwar had a bright future in the film industry.

Actor Danish Taimoor had also shown up for the movie and obliged fans when they asked him to click selfies with them.

All in all, Shah is a must watch which will guarantee you your money's worth and is indeed a quality-oriented film.
grey23 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
http://reviewit.pk/karachi-se-lahore-a-review/

just came back from watching Karachi se Lahore' and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I was expecting a cheap comedy like wrong number but it is much better then Wrong number. Here is what I think about it.

(Warning may contain spoilers)

Karachi se Lahore is the story of Zaheem played by Shehzad sheikh who is neighbors to Maryam (Aisha Omar) who is the daughter of Tiwana Sahib (Jawed sheikh). He doesn't have the best of relations with his neighbors and is facing problems with his Girlfriend Aashi played by Ishita Syed. His Girlfriend leaves for Lahore to attend a family wedding and calls from their to tell him that she is getting married. to her cousin. Shahzad leaves for Lahore with his two friends Moti ( Yasir Husain) and Sam ( Ahmed ali) via Tiwana sahib's jeep as Karachi airport is closed because of a strike By Civil aviation authority to stop this wedding. Maryam and her brother Zezu also accompany them. The first part of the movie was absolutely hilarious. The audience loved at the absolutely witty jokes especially those by the stuttering Moti. The most hilarious of them was about an aged woman Sam was leering at . Aisi auraten ajkal dramon main ati hai jahan unhen apne teesre shohar ke teesre betay se mohabat hojati hai.' LOL.The second part of the movie was a drag and a waste. There was a completely unnecessary subplot involving some pathans with the head honcho played by Rashid naaz. The whole plot was racist and filled with some really cheap scenarios. There were also two really forced dance numbers one of which depicted the previously nek parveen Ayesha Omar dancing in revealing clothes!!! Also there was an incident at a motel which subconsciously supported or at least made light of Honor killing.

There were several cameos in the movie the best of which was Rubya Chaudry as a lonely' possibly psychotic girl at a happening party'. Those of you who have seen Usman Khalid butt's hilarious parody of Humsafar will recognize and enjoy Rubya's cameo. The real brilliance of the movie lies in the performance of Yasir Husain as Moti. I loved him and his quirks. Ahmed ali as the pseudo-smooth Sam was acceptable as best. The product placement occurs too frequently and is literally in your face and people were pointing towards it in the cinema hall. To quote NFP the movie was an hour long cornetto commercial'. Overall the movie is good although I wish they hadn't ruined it in the second half. If you are looking for a good road trip movie, then I recommend Karachi se Lahore. I rate this movie 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Edited by grey23 - 9 years ago
-Kashmiri- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Shah is releasing on August 17th now, delayed due to the censor board.
BlackStar. thumbnail

#MOOR: An #Oscar Material | Review By : #Kalmanac

When a dysfunctional family confronts the realities of the past and present along with diminishing collective morality of society then maintaining values you've been carrying becomes a liability and your fragile innocence clings only with string of hope. This is the subliminal central idea of much anticipated Pakistani movie "MOOR" produced and directed by highly acclaimed Jamshed Mahmood Raza aka Jami. Since the first teaser of "MOOR", I had firm believe in distinct quality this movie offers.

Deeply intense emotional melodrama revolves around closing down of railway system of Zhob district of Baluchistan back in 1984 and its direct implications on station master Wahid (Hameed Sheikh) and his family. Abject poverty resulted from closure of Railway station cripples nave but honest Wahid when he is emotionally challenged by his elder brother Zahir (Shabbir Rana) and local goon Sardar Khan aka Laalu (Sultan Hussain) to make some compromises. Palwasha (Samiya Mumtaz) who plays more an emotional whistle blower than a wife of Wahid and he hangs between good and evil, family values and corruption. Death of Wahid's wife and then his son Ehsaan's (Shaz Khan) own battle for self redemption spread darker shades on screen in peculiar back & forth style of Jami in which story takes two steps back before moving one step further.

Serene and breathtaking beauty of Muslim Bagh with snowy surroundings reminds us Hollywood's "FARGO" released in 1996. Farhan Hafeez as cinematographer has pulled off an award winning job. The way he has filmed different areas of Baluchistan, it has never been attempted before. Along with strong performances of main leads "MOOR" will always be remembered for its top-notch cinematography.

Hameed Sheikh has done stunning job. Maxims of acting Hameed Sheikh has explored as station master Wahid in "MOOR", it seems this role was specifically penned for him. With acutely believable character and emotionally charged acting, his talent can easily be par with Naseeruddin Shah. It will be great to watch both of them in single frame someday. Debutant Shaz Khan has surprised with his matured performance. It will not be surprise if Shaz Khan is seen in some international project in future. The forgotten name of experience actor from Quetta Abdul Qadir as Baggoo Baba gives small but noticeable comic relief in intensely charged sequences. Abdul Qadir's performance is one of the highlights of "MOOR". After watching Ayaz Samoo as Imtisal, no one can imagine that he is the same person who has been hosting music show on ARY Musik as famous video jokey Sajid Billa.

On the whole, "MOOR" is magnificently executed, superbly performed and meticulously written film which aims self-actualization. With its soul-searching element and momentous theme "MOOR" will cherish only serious cinema-goers but not the masses. If right promotion and effective PR are done internationally then "MOOR" has all the ingredients to emerge as an Oscar material.

-Kashmiri- thumbnail
Yalghar is coming out next year, in February.
ridaanur thumbnail
IT REALLY HURTS when time comes to get the fruit of ur efforts and the "THEY" don't even ready to give u space to stand, despite all the good reviews and feed back why this?

• -jami @Lollywood007

Only word of mouth could save MOOR. Between ice cream soda we got lowest amount if shows. 5 years to make and 2 weeks of odd shows

• -jami @Lollywood007

@shahashfaq u think its a mistake? 5 years of making a film and they give me one show on premiere day. They r amazing

1. Samee Chaudhry @Samee_Geo

Thank You @Lollywood007 for restoring my belief in Pakistani Cinema. After watching #Moor I can safely say, "Yes! We Are Reviving"

• -jami @Lollywood007

@Samee_Geo lets c for how long they let us live. Already shows r getting cancelled

More
  • Edited by ridaanur - 9 years ago
    WabalMunni thumbnail
    Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
    I have heard really good stuff about this guy, Shaz Khan... he is working in Mehreen Jabbar's project ... Is it s tv drama?

http://www.dawn.com/news/1201943/
    -Kashmiri- thumbnail
    Yeah he's a part of the her film, Dobara Phir Se. I didn't like him in Zidd but his performance in Moor was highly praised.