No lead roles for me in films: Om Puri

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
No lead roles for me in films: Om Puri
New Delhi: He has acted in over 200 films till date but Bollywood veteran Om Puri rues the fact that roles are 'written' especially for stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan and not for an actor like him.

The 60-year-old actor, Om Puri, who has two National awards to his credit, said that he too wants to play lead roles like the superstars.

"There are hardly any roles written for a veteran actor like me. But roles are written especially for Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan and I have remained a character actor. I should get to play the lead in films," says Puri.

Puri, who has starred in critically acclaimed films like Aakrosh, Ardh Satyaand Mirch Masala said that the Hindi film industry lacks variety in filmmaking and makes the same song-and-dance movies, thus actors like him have limited scope.

"Our industry makes one similar kind of cinema with song and dance. But if they start making realistic films, then actors like us will get more opportunities.

"We should make films which are niche and deal with real subjects. Realistic films are less compromising on the content as compared to commercial cinema, which compromises to add unwanted glamour," Puri said.

He has done considerable amount of work, beyond Indian borders, starring in films like East is East, My Son the Fanatic, The Parole Officer and City of Joy. Puri believes the future of crossover films is bright. The actor was recently seen in the West Is West, the sequel to his 1999 film East is East.

"The future of crossover cinema is bright but again it depends on the subject matter. The issues that are dealt within the films have to be common between the countries they represent. Only then the film will connect with the audience," he said.

"I have been a successful actor because I was at the right place at the right time. I have always been a disciplined and hardworking professional," Puri adds.

The actor further continues, "Since Bollywood is a very uncertain place to be in, young actors should have a parallel profession to fall back on. A lot of new people come and go. They lack consistency and that is the reason they fail to make a mark. Newcomers must have formal training before entering the world of cinema."

Puri also expressed his desire to work with the new directors of the industry. "I want to work with directors like Vishal Bhardwaj, Rajkumar Hirani and Farhan Akhtar.

Link http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_no-lead-roles-for-me-in-films-om-puri_1555313

Edited by Salmanayesha - 13 years ago