Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 days ago

Originally posted by: MrChatVsNorway

According to me, Kajol's career is frothy stuff. The blind Woman in Fanaa cannot be compared to the Blind/Mute/Deaf woman in Black.

You cannot compare both movies.

Fanaa was a typical commercial pot boiler. Black was an offbeat very artistic movie of SLB , the visuals and feel of the film helped Rani's performance a lot. If you just focus on their acting keeping everything else aside, Kajol was even more subtle in her portrayal.

Once again, strictly focus on their acting only in Black and Fanaa, and intentionally fade out the direction, sets, visuals, looks and feel of the both films , to get an honest answer. 

sharaban thumbnail

Moreover, for me the biggest flaw in slb's writing and directing (Black) was that, a girl who

Cannot see

Cannot hear

Cannot speak

and could only touch and smell, out of the five senses, how come she conceptualized and channelized the emotions of anger, frustration, betrayal, love and also of jealousy(of her sister) ? hand signs can never be the alternative of watching the subtlety of facial expressions, processing someone's tone of the voice , visualizing body language and so on.

That was the biggest downer for me.

But than that would be expecting much from someone like slb whose core interest is in the visuals of his movie compared to understanding human emotions and skillfully present them over the celluloid. 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

To me, both are different kind of actresses...and I like to watch both of them performing their roles.

Blood_Sacrifice thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 days ago

Versatility is not just about doing different roles or types of movies. It's about doing them with subtlety and nuance so that each role seems different -- simply playing a prostitute, blind girl, comedy role etc does not mean you are versatile unless you can do them with nuanced shades of difference ... Preity Zinta did a wide variety of roles and so did Ash but I never found either versatile.

But yes coming to the topic, Rani is somewhat versatile when she acts well.. kajol not so much.

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: sharaban

Kajol is as versatile as Rani is, and is even more natural in her versatile roles. Its just that her natural bubbly personality shines more.

KANK? really? Rani did nothing but weaped throughout this cringe movie artificially as if iski aankhon may kisi nay nalkay lagaa kar paani khulla choad deya ho through the entire duration of the movie.

And I bet Kajol could have done Black and Lagaa chunri mein daagh with even more conviction and naturally compared to Rani whose husky heavy voice was always dragging and lagging behind her facial expressions. 

Oh boy..she would have ruined black and turned it into a comedy..i can say that for sure..

sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Oh boy..she would have ruined black and turned it into a comedy..i can say that for sure..

Its only your opinion, which I very strongly disagree with.

Kajol would have act even better than Rani in each and every scene of Black.....be it the aggressive violent ones, or where she needed to be subtle and sublime.

Rani's whole career is fluke, just 1 film black to mention else baaki sabhi bakwas acting.

No doubt she is wasting YRF money nowadays.

angelic2005 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Erm they both overact at times. It’s fine if the whole movie isn’t taking it self seriously. But in certain movies it really shows.
cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: sharaban

You cannot compare both movies.

Fanaa was a typical commercial pot boiler. Black was an offbeat very artistic movie of SLB , the visuals and feel of the film helped Rani's performance a lot. If you just focus on their acting keeping everything else aside, Kajol was even more subtle in her portrayal.

Once again, strictly focus on their acting only in Black and Fanaa, and intentionally fade out the direction, sets, visuals, looks and feel of the both films , to get an honest answer. 

Kajol in Fanaa >>> Rani in Black

Fanaa was her career best performance for me. She ticked all boxes. She was so so good. She was also very restrained in a lot of scenes which is not really her forte but she shone bright in that movie..in fact the brightest from the entire cast. It is sad how her career and performances went downhill from there onwards.

sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Kajol in Fanaa >>> Rani in Black

Fanaa was her career best performance for me. She ticked all boxes. She was so so good. She was also very restrained in a lot of scenes which is not really her forte but she shone bright in that movie..in fact the brightest from the entire cast. It is sad how her career and performances went downhill from there onwards.

Kajol was basically retired from a full time working heroine of Bollywood by then, she did just a handful of movies after a few years gap post mid 2000's.

She can be very subtle, layered and nuanced , if you have seen her in that short movie playing as a dead person who was sexually abused as a child.

I like her more as a human, having an utmost crystal clear heart and pure soul despite after getting all of the humongous successes unlike majority of other actresses (same is the reason of my liking for Madhuri)...

Sadly few can see all of this beneath her bubbly, energetic and full of life avatar.