Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AAKMH2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 days ago

Originally posted by: roopshas1

Yeah. It is true, like anyone who can trace down a bloodline with you automatically becomes ineligible for you. You really have to go against the grain if want to marry that person here. Even in South Indian Hindus and even amongst Indian Muslims, it is becoming rarer. I remember that I was so shocked when someone told me that they were engaged to their third or fourth cousin (something like that) back in Bengaluru. I had to make them repeat what they had said and actually confirm from them that yes, they are related by blood.smiley36 Like even if you are say eighth cousins, even if you belong to the same gotra which is patriline and are legally eligible, you are just...I dunno....still looked upon weirdly. Like that is still your distant cousin.

Aur if someone fall in love? Is this your culture pov or religion. It means there is rishta dekhna vgera procedure is must for you. What's the criteria than? Sicial status or city should be same?

Yaar hmare to koi long distant nikal aay, to khud hote hai...satisfy ho jaye hai. Aur wrse we prefer same caste .like punjabi wNts to wed punjabi, pthan to pthan..caste k bahir bhi kr lete hai

Schrute thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AAKMH2

Realy thats fun ..acha tell me can u wed a guy, if u tie a rakhi on his hand ever or in childhood...like brother friends etc?

I never knew u ppl had so restriction..than it must be odd fir u to watch ptvs

It's not a restriction. But agar bachpan ki brotherly feelings turn into love, then it's not a big deal. Societies in general always waise police female choices of partners. But itna restriction nahi hai, unless related by blood. Plus agar culturally you're interpellated toh aisa hota hi bhut exceptional cases me hai that people get attracted. I have very little idea about what happens in rural cases.

But aise bachpan se agar kisi ko bhaiya maan liya to parents also treat them as cousins onlj, so wo interpellation ka concept aa jata hai. To baat hoti hi nahi kuch.

I've seen colony ke bhaiya didi getting Married who tied rakhi to him in bachpan. So it depending.

Queeen thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 7

Social Spotlight

Originally posted by: roopshas1

Also, the same query as above. Would love to know the social dynamics of this because honestly initially found it so hilarious that Salar was jealous of Salman even before anything was going on between Sitara and Salman.

I was baffled at why he was being so territorial with Salman regarding Sitara? He is her cousin. Of course, he has some familial obligations towards her like Ehtisham does. THEN, I realised he is treating Salman as a potential love rival from the get go rather than a family figure to Sitara.

So I am really curious about this social dynamics. Is it really that common that a first cousin can be automatically be considered a love interest without any other context in drama?

lmao yaa right in that circumstances maybe it is and salar felt k jo jo bhi es line main aa sakta hy oska pata I'll cut ✂️ 😄... salar was totally jealous of any guy that could have been considered for sitara so ya maybe he found him a threat lol cuz as she was an orphan and he might heve thought k eski family karwa na de eski ... and yes bachpan main too some aunties go like main apne beta ka rishta es ladki sy karon gi bade hoke esa ho zaroori nhi
Schrute thumbnail
In our parents and grandparents era Marriage was governed by strict caste laws. Baki in same caste we have gotras to detect lineage. Baki now it has become pretty much relaxed. Urban settings me people are getting marrying inter-caste. That's pretty much normal now.
AAKMH2 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Schrute

It's not a restriction. But agar bachpan ki brotherly feelings turn into love, then it's not a big deal. Societies in general always waise police female choices of partners. But itna restriction nahi hai, unless related by blood. Plus agar culturally you're interpellated toh aisa hota hi bhut exceptional cases me hai that people get attracted. I have very little idea about what happens in rural cases.

But aise bachpan se agar kisi ko bhaiya maan liya to parents also treat them as cousins onlj, so wo interpellation ka concept aa jata hai. To baat hoti hi nahi kuch.

I've seen colony ke bhaiya didi getting Married who tied rakhi to him in bachpan. So it depending.

Ok..so main issue is blood relation only... Ptv k drama dekhte hue to unka cousins linkignore hi krte hosmiley36 it must be difficult to watch. .jese some time while reading I come across some fanfics, step bro or sis..that was full stop for me..i couldnt proceed

AAKMH2 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Queeen

lmao yaa right in that circumstances maybe it is and salar felt k jo jo bhi es line main aa sakta hy oska pata I'll cut ✂️ 😄... salar was totally jealous of any guy that could have been considered for sitara so ya maybe he found him a threat lol cuz as she was an orphan and he might heve thought k eski family karwa na de eski ... and yes bachpan main too some aunties go like main apne beta ka rishta es ladki sy karon gi bade hoke esa ho zaroori nhi

Thats the most annoying thing that happen in some of our culture... End tragic hi hota hai aesi situation mein...ek ko hi wada yaad rehta hai, dusra bhool jata hai

Schrute thumbnail

Ok..so main issue is blood relation only... Ptv k drama dekhte hue to unka cousins linkignore hi krte hosmiley36 it must be difficult to watch. .jese some time while reading I come across some fanfics, step bro or sis..that was full stop for me..i couldnt proceed

Yeah, it was weird initially, But as i went on watching few shows, it became quite normal. I don't find it weird at all now. But I had this doubt from suno chanda times whether it was so much prevalent

roopshas1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Realy thats fun ..acha tell me can u wed a guy, if u tie a rakhi on his hand ever or in childhood...like brother friends etc?

I never knew u ppl had so restriction..than it must be odd fir u to watch ptvs

Ughh. The rakhi case is a very very dicey situation actually. Technically speaking, you become siblings. Socially you will be considered sibling like. So that automatically disqualifies your rakhi sibling from being considered as an arranged marriage candidate. Like it is a common trope in ITV where a childhood male/female friend turns up, and ML/FL gets jealous and they turn out to be a rakhi brother/sister and then the ML/FL feels stupid and go back to being secure. A rakhi sibling lusting after the other rakhi sibling would be considered creepy.

Like if the parents do want to pair those kids in marriage later on, they will try to avoid any rakhi ceremony and some even go as far as avoiding addressing the other with Bhaiya honorific. Like make it clear to the kids, that there is a possibility of marriage there right from the beginning. Like two friends of mine, childhood friends, grew up together and have gotten married recently. Parents always had an eye out of the other kid as a potential spouse for their kid and so whenever there was Bhai Dooj or Raksha Bandhan, while the boy and the younger sister of the girl used to tie rakhi and celebrate, the duo was clearly told to avoid tying rakhi even though she used to go their house to celebrate. Poor things, they were teased about it ki dekho pati-patni aa rahein hain and all those things that kids do to tease others because that made it very clear to everyone that they are a potential match. Fortunately, they did end up liking each other and are now happily married.

On the other hand, it is very rare that actual rakhi siblings fall in love and start to date and want to get married. That is a whole circus in its own right because suppose you are rakhi siblings, you have to now break a sacred and social bond. I do believe sometimes it does happens. But it is rare and I think there must be some social or religious process to bypass that because frankly, the law does not forbid it. Legally, you are not related (you also tie rakhis to cousins and siblings, but that is a different case, we are talking about non-blood related rakhi siblings here who could have been eligible for marriage). But socially, ehhh. I dunno. I would be a bit weirded out though. Until and unless the rakhi ceremony was done at really young age and not followed up later on, that is somewhat still socially acceptable. But say you are rakhi siblings in teens and then you decide to date each other, that would receive a lot of side eyes.

In most cases though, rakhi siblings really mostly stay sibling like. They just have no chance with each other and mostly don't even try it. Yes, you can always count on your rakhi brothers to beat up a guy trying to harass you. smiley36 Frankly, rakhi brothers, especially older ones, have as much social authority regarding chasing away unwanted suitors as own blood siblings or cousins do.

roopshas1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

What does gotra mean? Caste? Yahan to sane caste ki shadi ko prefer krte hai ..mtlb aao ki language aap ka mahol milta hai...u know from our religion pov we can wrd to our parents cousins also ..but culturally hota nhi hai aesa ...dusra age factor

Gotra is patriline. Like the same male ancestor on the father and his lineage through his father and his father and so on. It is like clan lineage within the sub-caste or caste. Gotra can cut across castes some times because really long ago, like 4000-3000 years ago, caste were not solidified which are based on occupations and often intermarriage did happen back then.

Parents' cousins are like own uncles and aunts. That would be horrifying frankly. smiley23 Really distant ones like eighth or so cousins maybe can be accepted but anything closer to that is a no-no.

Schrute thumbnail

Ohh, wow that's a new thing. We don't have rakhee brothers like that. We only tie rakhi to our cousins, and if some bhaiya is there whom we call bhaiya ekdum bachpan se toh we tie them rakhis. And that bond is rarely breached. Not anyone i know of. Rest, i do have rakhi brothers who are school friend , or college friend and tht is also very consensual. Aise jabardasti nahi , and even parents don't force us to tie rakhi to anyone. Its mostly blood-related cousins only.( Ab yeh baat alag hai hhat wo smae rakhii brother is eyeing you secretly, then it becomes creepy i think). ( I think agar ek baar bhaiya bol diya to maryiage ka scene mushqil hi hota hai)

Edited by Schrute - 3 days ago