mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 months ago

Kajol’s face is like a canvas of emotions. Happiness, anger, surprise, confusion—you name it, she’s done it all in a single movie. Heck, sometimes in a single scene!

Sometimes, she hams it up more than a Christmas dinner, but isn't that part of her charm? Over-the-top? Perhaps. Sometimes you need a bit of Kajol’s dramatic flair to spice things up.

In the 90's, overacting was legitimized. I get that.

But Kajol was not the best, not even close to the best. Tabu, Urmila were. And even some of Manisha's performances are far more nuanced than Kajol's.

Do you guys think she is overrated?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fazgostoso thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Kajol’s face is like a canvas of emotions. Happiness, anger, surprise, confusion—you name it, she’s done it all in a single movie. Heck, sometimes in a single scene!

Sometimes, she hams it up more than a Christmas dinner, but isn't that part of her charm? Over-the-top? Perhaps. Sometimes you need a bit of Kajol’s dramatic flair to spice things up.

But Kajol was not the best, not even close to the best. Tabu, Urmila were. And even some of Manisha's performances are far more nuanced than Kajol's.

Kajol is a great actress, but I think she wasn’t versatile enough. Most of her successes came from KJO and Yash Chopra. She played it safe. But she is leagues ahead of Bahurani. Bahurani is more overrated than Kajol. smiley42

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I dont care how she’s rated. I can watch Pyar Toh Hona Hi Tha, her movies with SRK, Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya, Dil Kya Kare, Dushman, Gupt everything she’s done like 100 times and can find her expressions relatable in everything. smiley42 There are some bad movies yeah, but who doesn’t back in 90s. I find her so emotive. In few scenes of Pyar Toh Hona Hi Tha, you can actually cry with her. smiley28 She was the WHOLE movie !

Bring more actresses like her ! smiley41

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Yes. And her offscreen personality is obnoxious.

Edited by Daebak - 3 months ago
fazgostoso thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Always wanted to know this. Was Kajol’s mother Tanuja less successful than her daughter in movies? She seemed to have a decent career in Bollywood

Strangers02 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

I dont care how she’s rated. I can watch Pyar Toh Hona Hi Tha, her movies with SRK, Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya, Dil Kya Kare, Dushman, Gupt everything she’s done like 100 times and can find her expressions relatable in everything. smiley42 There are some bad movies yeah, but who doesn’t back in 90s. I find her so emotive. In few scenes of Pyar Toh Hona Hi Tha, you can actually cry with her. smiley28 She was the WHOLE movie !

Bring more actresses like her ! smiley41

+1000000

Same with me...🤩

Love her screen presence 💖

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Isn’t she only hired by Ajay now a days

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I think people dunk on her too much now. She's a star legitimately, but very much a 90s-type of actress, much like how many of the Khans/older actors we like are 90s-style actors and don't fit at all while acting in the modern day. I don't think she ever claimed to be the best actress, or she ever did heavy skill-driven roles, I think she was content being a favorite of the masses. Tabu, Manisha and Urmila did skill-driven roles, even Rekha (+ older Madhuri) dabbled in that scene + art films. Even Rani did many off-beat films.

Doesn't make sense to compare them with Kajol who was always commercial and known for her popularity with the masses.

Honestly she's really beautiful. (Always was but now she stands out more tbh) If the acting clicks for her the public will embrace her with open arms. Who knows? She has the Kriti movie too.

Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

I am not a big fan of Kajol

Having said that she was part of many fav movie of mine from the early 2000s. She is uber charming onscreen! And I think she can act, I mean act proper too. Watch We Are Family.

SrikantTiwari thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Nope. I can watch her movies again and again. She is good in drama as well as comedy which is actually difficult to master. You talked about Manisha but barring her few performances in the 90s she was insufferable. Tried rewatching Mann 2 years back, she reminded me of Shraddha's awful acting. She was good in some roles but not as nuanced as others.

Often people tag Kajol as only getting success with SRK movies but I would argue she always had an important if not equal role in them and was equally responsible for success of those movies. Infact SRK's so many more romantic movies with these nuanced and amazing actresses did not achieve same levels. Both SRK and Kajol are equally responsible for their pair to be as successful as it is today. And for Kajol I do wish she experimented more and did not take such long breaks after her marriage. I still enjoy watching her and wish she would choose better roles and adapt today.