India doesn't need masked heroes, we have SRK/Salman - Anurag Kashyap

Posted: 4 months ago

Anurag Kashyap says India doesn’t need masked superheroes, we have Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan: ‘We have low self esteem…’

Anurag Kashyap delved into the psychology of fans, noting that while Hollywood has superheroes like Iron Man and Hulk, Hindi films rely on megastars like Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan instead.

Anurag Kashyap opened up about stardom in India.Anurag Kashyap opened up about stardom in India. (Pic: SRK, Anyrag/Instagram)

Anurag Kashyap, known for his unconventional films, opened up about the tendency of fans to hero-worship actors in the film industry. He delved into the psychology of fans, noting that while Hollywood has superheroes like Iron Man and Hulk, Hindi films rely on megastars like Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan instead.

Speaking on the YouTube channel Humans Of Cinema, he said, “We are a country of hero worshippers. We are deprived of many things and have low self-esteem and confidence. We need heroes. Why do our films have larger-than-life heroes? We are the only country where actors won’t cover their faces while playing superheroes. The masks would be so small because it is important to show their faces.”

He added, “They have Iron Man and other superheroes; we have Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan as our superheroes. We don’t need Iron Man and Hulk. We have Sunny Deol—what is Hulk in front of him? This is in all of us; we need heroes to feel better about ourselves. We fantasise about this. An average Indian dreams about doing something heroic.”

In an earlier interview, Anurag explained why he never attempted to make films with a big star like Shah Rukh or Salman Khan. “Though I came here to make films, there was a time when I succumbed to it (the habit of chasing stars). Everybody was telling me, ‘Without stars you are doing this… imagine what you will do with stars’. That’s when the tide turns the other way and the slide starts,” he said during a chat with Puja Talwar. He also pointed out that fans in India are fanatical. “There’s no such practice in other countries. So, there you have more freedom and actors also play around. We are driven by hero-worshipping here.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/anurag-kashyap-says-india-doent-need-masked-superheroes-for-we-have-shah-rukh-khan-salman-khan-9371594/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Lastly, it's just about the good winning - in every filmindustry in the world...a dream as old as humankind...it's the way to showcase it that makes the difference.

Indian cinema favours heroes not disguised through other powers than being the 'good guy' in heart, mind and soul which gives him the power to overcome strong hardships and dozens of goons. That's another magic displayed than in US-American superheroes.

The status of superstars in India will continue to shift as the base is a strong display of emotions...the extensive use of social media more & more allows to vent emotions without worshipping an actor like a 'god'.

I firmly believe that ShahRukh and Salman are the last superstars of the Hindi filmindustry worshipped this way. They are part of family life (like a relative) which goes beyond fandom.

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Pyar se besti kar raha hai hamaari.

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Zilan thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Sci-Fi Squad

Ye kya logic hai bhau