Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

IshRa's Icons

Posted: 1 years ago

Part 66

*Disclaimer: The next 2-3 chapters focus on fertility treatments and the emotional turmoil that comes with it. Read with discretion. Also, I am not an expert in fertility or gynaecology so please forgive any inaccuracies.*

Hope Valley Clinic – one week later, Thursday, November 15, 11 am

"So Ishita, I'm just going to palpate your abdomen and you let me know if you feel any pain or tenderness."

"Yes doctor, I know the drill."

Ishita leaned back on the examination table and opened her procedural gown to expose her abdomen. Her family doctor, Sangeeta Kumar, wheeled her chair around from her computer and stood up, hanging her stethescope around her neck. She carefully palpated around Ishita's abdomen, asking if she felt any pain or tenderness, to which Ishita replied in the negative.

"Looks like you've recovered really well," Dr. Sangeeta said when she was done with her physical exam.

Ishita sat up and wrapped the gown around her torso, as the doctor inputed her findings into the electronic medical record.

"Your physical recovery has been better than we could've hoped for," Sangeeta explained. "Your blood work is optimal, you're reporting no pain or discomfort, and your scans are clear as well. No lingering abscesses or clots from the gunshot wounds. And your neurological exam was clear too. The concussion has healed as well."

"That's great news," Ishita smiled.

"Can you tell me how you're doing mentally?" Sangeeta sat down on her chair and faced Ishita on the exam table. "How have your panic attacks been? Are you doing the breathing exercises we talked about?"

"Yes. The attacks are getting less and less. I haven't had one since last week. In fact, the last one I had lasted less than five minutes."

"That's great... You know, considering your recovery – both physical and mental – I'm going to decrease the dosage of your medications."

Dr. Sangeeta scribbled a note on her prescription pad and tore off the paper.

"Is there anything else you'd like to discuss before the end of your appointment?" she asked. "We still have fifteen more minutes."

"Well..." Ishita began, "I usually get a yearly ultrasound to make sure my ovarian tumors aren't recurring. If we have time, can we get that done now? So I don't have to schedule another appointment for this."

"Oh yes, I recall. Dr. Anjali Awasthi sent me those records from Chennai. Let me just get the portable ultrasound."

The doctor returned with said machine and a tube of ultrasound gel. As Ishita lied back down and opened her procedural gown, Dr. Sangeeta squirted a blob of cool blue gel on her lower belly. She brought down the probe onto the gel and slid it back and forth across her belly, examining the sonogram on the ultrasound monitor.

"Your tumors were in your right ovary and left fallopian tube, correct?" she asked.

Ishita nodded.

"The good news is there are no tumors or abnormal growths. Now, there is a bit of scarring in both places, but not enough to indicate damage. Are you feeling any discomfort or pain?"

"No, not at all. Just the regular cramps when I get my period."

Sangeeta put away the ultrasound probe and wiped the gel away from Ishita's belly.

"And are your periods usually regular?" she asked.

"Pretty much." Ishita unlocked her phone and opened her period app. "My cycle is usually around 25 to 30 days."

"That's pretty regular. How long do your periods last and how heavy is the bleeding?"

"About four to five days. And the bleeding is average I suppose."

"Any other symptoms that bother you throughout your cycle?"

"No, just an occasional cramp here or there."

"Considering the fact that your cycles are regular and you're feeling no unusual pain, I'm not worried about the minimal scarring. Especially since it isn't getting worse or affecting any other organs."

Sangeeta typed a note in her computer. "And Ishita, are you on any birth control or do you use contraception?"

Ishita's spine stiffened. "No doctor..." she murmured. "My husband and I are monogamous. As far as preventing pregnancy is concerned... I um... I'm infertile. I mean... If I can't get pregnant then there's no use for birth control, right?"

"Well..." Dr. Sangeeta turned away from her computer and wheeled her chair closer to her patient. "I don't think infertile is the right word here."

Ishita scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion.

"What I mean is... based on the damage to your right ovary because of the tumors and the scarring in your left fallopian tube, your chances of conceiving are very low, but you can't equate that to being infertile," the doctor explained. "Even people on birth control or those who have IUDs can end up conceiving. No birth control or contraception is 100% effective."

"Wait... Are you saying I could get... pregnant?" Ishita asked, shocked.

"I'm saying that if you want to prevent a pregnancy, you should make sure to use some sort of contraception. Without any contraception, your chances of conceiving may be much lower than the average woman, but not zero. Infertility isn't black or white."

"Then why did that doctor in Chennai say... I mean she said it was virtually impossible for me to have a child."

"Virtually being the key word. Maybe at that time, your scans were different, and your body couldn't have handled a pregnancy. But your body has changed in two years. You have healed, and the scarring has lessened. Even today, your chances are low, much lower than the usual adult female, but with the right fertility treatments you could conceive. Like I said, fertility isn't determined in a hard yes or no. There's lots of gray areas."

Ishita had no response. She didn't know what to say.

"It looks like I've thrown a lot of information at you," Dr. Sangeeta realized. "The bottom line is that if you want to ensure that you prevent a pregnancy, you should use contraception. Otherwise, you can continue without it. It's entirely your decision."

When the appointment ended, Ishita changed back into her saree and left with copies of her newest scans and bloodwork as well as the revised prescription. Romi waited in her car in the parking lot.

"Romi? Tum aaye ho mujhe lene?" Ishita asked, getting into the passenger seat. "Mujhe lagaa Raman aa rahe the."

"Bhai ka virtual appointment prepone ho gaya. Toh unhone mujhe bhej diya," Romi explained, switching the gear from park to drive. "Are we going home?"

"No. We're going to my clinic," Ishita smiled.

Last week, Raman and Ishita had finally reached a middle ground. Having finally confronted his own fears, Raman had agreed for Ishita to take on light duty at her clinic. She could perform consultations, appointments, and light procedures, but no overtime, extra shifts, or long surgeries that required her to stay on her feet for hours. And someone would drive her to and from her clinic for the first few days.

In return, Raman had agreed to talk to a psychiatrist to work through his PTSD. His first appointment was today. Ishita's panic attacks had pretty much stopped. Adi's nightmares were almost gone. And Raman could finally breathe, much to Ishita's relief.

"How was your appointment bhabhi?" Romi asked, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"It went better than anyone could've hoped," Ishita beamed. "No residual trauma from the gunshot wounds or the concussion."

"That's incredible." Romi turned the car onto the freeway and punched the gas pedal. "You know bhabhi, I've never seen your clinic before. Is it like the ones on all those medical dramas? Oh my god, are all the doctors sleeping with each other like on Grey's Anatomy?"

"Romi!" Ishita gasped, hitting his shoulder with the back of her hand. "Watch your mouth!"

"What?" Romi shrugged. "I didn't mean you, of course."

Ishita rolled her eyes. "First of all, that doesn't happen in any clinic or hospital anywhere. TV shows are lying to you. Second of all, pretty much everyone I work with is married. Except for our medical secretary... Sarika."

Romi's smile dropped. And it didn't escape his bhabhi's eye.

"Kya hua? Tumhara chehra kyun utar gaya?" Ishita asked.

"Uh... kuch nahi." Romi cleared his throat. "I'm just disappointed that you work in such a boring place," he joked.

"Kuch bhi Romi!" she laughed. "I work in a very interesting place."

"It's a dentist's office with cavities and teeth and surgical stuff. How interesting could it be, bhabhi?"

"And you work in an office with spreadsheets and accountants and stubborn clients. How interesting could that be?" Ishita raised an eyebrow at her brother-in-law.

"Touché bhabhi. Touché."

Romi pulled the car into the parking lot of the Batra Medical Center and turned off the engine. Ishita grabbed her purse and white coat and left the passenger seat, only for Romi to exit the car and follow.

"Tum kahan aa rahe ho?" she asked.

"Aapke saath andar aa raha hoon. Bhai ne strict instructions di thi aapko andar tak chodne ki," he replied.

Ishita rolled her eyes but decided not to argue. It would be futile anyway. She led him inside and made way towards her office.

"Dr. Bhalla! It's so good to see you again!" A female voice sounded from behind them.

Ishita turned around to see Sarika approaching her with a bright smile and a stack of files in hand. "Hi Sarika! It's good to be back."

Romi turned around at the voice and all movement stopped. Sarika's feet stopped in her tracks and she dropped her stack of files, as her vision focused on the man in front of her. His jaw dropped. Her eyes popped out of her head.

"Sarika?"

"Romi?"

Ishita was taken aback at the sudden interaction. "Tum dono ek doosre ko pehle se jaante ho-"

"No!"

"Nahi!"

They answered too quickly.

"Aapne abhi aate aate baat ki na apni secretary ke baare mein? Sarika?" Romi said. "Toh maine guess kiya ki yeh wahi hogi."

"Aur ma'am, aapne bhi apne devar ki baatein ki hai. Main aapke pati ko mil chuki hoon toh maine bhi bas andaaza lagaaya ki aapka devar Romi hoga," Sarika explained. "Main chalti hoon. Yeh files Dr. Batra tak pohchaani hai."

She hastily gathered the scattered files and scampered away, even as Romi's gaze followed her retreating figure.

"Um... Main bhi chalta hoon bhabhi," Romi stuttered. "I've got work in the office."

"Okay Romi, I'll see you at home."

Ishita proceeded to her office while Romi exited the building. If she had the mental capacity, she would've focused on the awkwardness and tension that had transpired in Romi and Sarika's interaction, but her mind was preoccupied with what she had heard during her appointment.

Your chances are low... but with the right fertility treatments you could conceive...

Ishita sat down at her chair and tossed her purse onto her desk. Motherhood was the central pillar of her life, and thus, the biggest heartbreak of her life was her infertility. But what she had just found out changed everything. She could get pregnant. She could actually nurture a child in her body and nourish it with her own blood and milk. Tears pooled in her eyes and she swiped them away by closing her eyelids.

An image materialized in her head. Her belly swelling with a child. Raman's hand on her belly feeling the baby kick. The cries of her toddler radiating through her house at all hours. The child's giggles and the squeaks of its toys lighting up her house. Her long-lost dream come true.

Immediately, her eyes shot open and guilt creeped up her throat. She already had a baby. She had two babies, in fact. Adi and Ruhi. They were two pieces of her heart and she loved them to bits. They had fulfilled every incompleteness she had perceived in herself and filled her life with happiness. How could she crave for another child when she already had the best babies in the world? How unfair would that be to her children?

She was a complete woman. And she truly believed that. She didn't need a biological child to prove that. So why did this yearning hope make her heart flutter?

.....................................................................................................................

Iyer House – 9 pm

"Ruhi! Enough now!" Ishita scolded. "It is time for bed. Kal school hai aapka! Dekho Adi bhaiya toh already brush karne chale gaye."

"Just five more minutes Ishimaa. Please?!" Ruhi shook a rattle in Kshitija's face who peered at her with wide curious eyes.

Ishita sighed. She had been trying for the last half hour to get her kids to sleep. While Adi had finally given in five minutes ago and left to brush his teeth, Ruhi refused to let go of her baby cousin. She and Shravu were crouched down by her crib, shaking rattles and snapping their fingers, eliciting wondrous reactions from Kshitija.

"Ruhi, aadhe ghante se aapka five minutes, five minutes chal raha hai," Ishita said. "Ab bahot ho gaya. It's time to go home."

"This isn't fair mumma!" Ruhi groaned. "Shravu gets to stay here and play. Why can't I?"

"Aisa nahi hai, Ruhi beta," Vandu called out from the couch. "Shravu bhi abhi sone hi jaa raha hai. Right, Shravu?" She raised her eyebrow at her son.

Ishita managed to pry her daughter home soon enough and drag her home for bedtime.

"This isn't fair mumma. I wish I also had a baby sister like Shravu," Ruhi complained while changing into her pajamas.

Both Ruhi and Adi had gone to sleep after a quick bedtime story, but even as Ishita returned to her room, her daughter's words rang in her ears. Was it a sign? Maybe?

"Madrasan, tu sun bhi rahi hai ya nahi?" Raman's voice shook her to the present.

"Haan sun rahi hoon..." Ishita sat down across him on the couch and forced herself to concentrate. "You were talking about your appointment today?"

"Yeah. It was... interesting, for a lack of better word. Not sure if it is helping."

"You don't want to continue?"

"I'll try a couple more sessions. If it doesn't help, then I'm going to stop."

"Okay. Fair enough. Whatever helps you."

"How was your appointment today?" Raman scooched closer and clasped her hand.

"It went very well. Gunshot wounds are healed. Concussion is all better. And the doctor did an ultrasound as well for the yearly checkup of my tumors. Everything's good there as well. No recurring tumors."

"That's good to hear." He squeezed Ishita's hand in relief.

Ishita took a deep breath before continuing. "There's something else."

"What?" A vertical line of concern appeared between his brows. "Is everything okay? Something to worry about?"

"No, not exactly. I um... There is a chance that I could possibly get... pregnant."

"What?! Really?" Raman was shocked. "What did she say exactly?"

Ishita recounted her conversation with her doctor, and Raman listened intently.

"Aur phir abhi Ruhi ne bhi kaha, 'I wish I had a baby sister like Shravu,'" she ended her monologue.

"Tumhe hurt hua?" Raman draped an arm around her shoulders.

"It didn't hurt me, Raman. I'm just... confused," she revealed. "Jab se mujhe pregnancy ki samaj aayi hai, tab se mujhe pataa tha ki mujhe ek din maa banna hai. But then life happened and I lost that fortune. But now that I know it could be a possibility... I can't stop thinking about it."

"Do you think... you want to have a baby?" he asked hesitantly.

Ishita pried his arm from around her shoulder and intertwined her fingers with his hand, turning on the couch to face him.

"If it was really possible, and if it was in my fate, then I'd love to experience a pregnancy once in my life. I'd love to raise a baby with you. A symbol of our love." She squeezed his hand and brought their intertwined hands up to her mouth, planting a light kiss.

"But I don't ever want Adi or Ruhi to feel like they're not enough for me," she continued. "I'm a complete woman, Raman. And Adi-Ruhi are my kids. I shouldn't be having this yearning for a baby. Kitna hypocritical hoga agar ek taraf main yeh kahun ki dil ke rishte khoon ke rishton se badh kar hote hai aur dusri taraf mujhe khud ka apna baccha chahiye."

Her face fell in self-doubt and Raman's eyes softened.

"Idhar aa madrasan." He scooched over and held her close, bringing an arm around the back of her waist. "Dekh meri taraf."

When Ishita looked over and met his eyes, Raman tucked away an errant strand of her hair before making his point. "Pata hai jab se Adi paida hua tha na tab se meri wish thi ki meri ek beti bhi ho. Main humesha chaahta tha ki mera ek doosra baccha ho. Lekin iska matlab yeh kabhi nahin tha ki mere dil mein Adi ke liye pyaar ki koi kami thi. Wanting another kid doesn't mean that you'll love your other two children any less."

The guilt and doubt fogging her mind slowly cleared up, and hope lighted up in Ishita's eyes.

"Ishita listen," Raman continued. "I would love to have a baby with you. We've both missed out on so many parts of both Ruhi and Adi's childhoods. You haven't even seen either of their baby phases. Having a baby would be a life-long adventure for both of us. But even if we didn't, I wouldn't be sad. I already have so much to be thankful for, and I'm more than happy with everything we have. At the end of the day, this is your body and completely your decision. I'll support you regardless."

Ishita nodded, deep in thought. "I... I honestly don't know what to do."

"You don't have to decide anything right now. Take as much time as you need. Hmm?"

Raman kissed her on the temple before walking over to the dresser and emptying his pockets of his keys and wallet to get ready for bed. In the very next instant, Ishita shot up from the couch.

"Yes!" she exclaimed.

Raman turned around unbuttoning the cufflinks on his sleeves, eyebrows scrunching in confusion. "What?"

"Yes. I want to have a baby," she clarified.

His face lit up like a thousand-watt bulb. "Really?"

Ishita nodded. "Yes. Yes, absolutely." She stepped closer to him and gently clutched his sleeves. "I've always wanted to get pregnant and have a baby. And if there's even a slight chance this can happen, then I want to try. What do you say?" She bit her lip nervously.

"I think it's a great idea!" he laughed, pulling her into his arms.

Ishita snaked her hands up his back and hugged him tight. "So... are we trying to have a baby?"

"Yes! We're trying to have a baby."

Raman untangled himself from his wife's arms, and she yelped as she found herself lifted into a bridal carry.

"What are you doing?" Ishita asked.

"We're trying to have a baby, aren't we?" he smirked.

"Wait... You mean, we're trying right now?"

"I mean, there's no time like the present, is there?" he drawled with a subtle wink.

"You and your one-track mind," she laughed, even as she tightened her arms around his neck.

When his lips descended on hers, that was all she wrote.

.....................................................................................................................

JANUARY (two months later)

Akash Ganga Society Compound – Lohri, Saturday, 13 Jan

The fire of Lohri crackled in the middle of the compound, its warmth radiating through the chill breeze of January. The society building was decorated with streamers and lights, and painted in vibrant colors, with beats of the drums sounding throughout. The Bhallas, Iyers, and their relatives danced to the bhangra beats, throwing popcorn into the Lohri fire. An aura of celebration and livelihood disseminated through the compound.

"Bhalla ji, taiyyari bahot badhiya ki hai aapne," Vishwa said, hugging his friend.

"Thank you Iyer saab," Omprakash beamed. "Waise iska asli credit Toshi ji ko jaata hai. Unhone hi saari taiyyari ki hai. Taiyyari karte karte unka blood pressure kaafi badh gaya tha. Aur mera bhi."

"Madhu ka bhi yahin haal hai. Kal Pongal ke liye preparations karne mein usne bhi bahot stress liya hai. Upar se Vandu aur Bala bhi baccho ke saath ghar chale gaye, toh hum dono akele pad gaye hai. She's just doing everything she can to keep busy."

"Iyer saab, aapko kabhi bhi baccho ki yaad aaye, toh aap humaare ghar aa jaana. Adi-Ruhi se ghar mein humesha ronak bani rehti hai. Aur Romi-Rinki bhi kisi bacchon se kam nahi hai."

As the fathers laughed away, the mothers were engaged in their own tug of war.

"Santoshi, kal early morning tumko humaare ghar pahochna hai. Pongal ka function hai, aur badi dhoom-dhaam se manaayenge," Madhu urged.

"Woh sab baad mein dekhenge madrasan," Toshi retorted. "Abhi toh tu Lohri ka mazaa le. Simi! Woh mithaai ki thaali la na!" she called out.

Madhu opened her mouth to protest, but by then Simi had come by with a tray of sweets, and Toshi grabbed a laddoo and stuffed it into her frenemy's mouth.

"Tu bada bolti hai madrasan by god," she quipped.

Meanwhile, Ishita brought over another tray of sweets to Amit Tandon and his sister Trisha who were in conversation with Raman.

"Tandon saab, Trisha, aap logon ne yeh gujiya khaayi hai? Lijiye na?"

"Thank you bhabhi, lekin aap ko bhi khaana padega," Trisha insisted. "Aap kab se sab ki khatirdaari mein lagi hai. Ab aap bhi lijiye."

As Raman urged Tandon to have a sweet, Trisha and Ishita fed each other a bite.

"Trisha, Pathak kahan hai? Woh kahin dikhai nahi diya mujhe," Ishita asked, once she was done chewing.

"He's on his way, bhabhi," she replied. "He had a meeting with a client which ran late."

Their small talk continued until Tandon and Trisha were roped into a conversation with Mihir and Mihika, while Raman pulled Ishita aside, having set down the tray of sweets.

"I don't want to talk right now." She wrenched her hand free and made to turn away, only for her husband to pull her back.

"Then when Ishita?" he asked. "You shut down yesterday and now you won't talk to me. How long is this going to continue?"

"Until you drop this topic."

Raman sighed and rubbed in forehead in frustration. "I'm not dropping it. Madrasan, we've been trying without intervention for three months. Don't you think it's time to see a specialist now?"

"We can keep trying naturally," she insisted. "In fact, I haven't even taken a test this week yet. It might be positive this time."

"Listen Ishita..." Raman brought his hands up her arms and held her close. "Getting treatment from a fertility expert will help us. We already knew our chances of conceiving naturally were low to begin with."

"You mean my chances of conceiving were low," she threw back at him, voice laced with accusation and a twinge of sadness.

But Raman wasn't fazed. "No. I meant our chances."

Ever since they had started trying for a baby, he had been careful never to imply that she was the problem. That she was inadequate or incomplete in any way. Even if she felt that way. Even when she blamed herself for their failures.

Ishita sighed and closed her eyes. This was all her fault. She was a woman, and she couldn't do the one thing a woman's body was made for. The universe was screaming at her that she wasn't a woman enough. She didn't need a random doctor poking down around her lady parts, judging her, making her feel even more incompetent.

"What if it doesn't work, Raman?" she asked, scared to hope. "I don't want to set us up for disappointment."

"And what if it does work?" he countered.

Their conversation was cut short when Mihika pulled Ishita away for a dance, but later that night, Ishita finally agreed to see a fertility expert, when she threw away a used pregnancy test in the trash and slumped down on the bed in disappointment.

It had said: NOT PREGNANT

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – a week later, 3 pm

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla."

Ishita and Raman whirled their heads around to the entrance of the office to see a thin but well-built middle-aged man walk in dressed in a casual blazer, white shirt, and formal pants. His hair was styled into small curls, and his skin spotted with freckles. As he took his seat at the desk, Ishita and Raman wheeled their chairs in closer.

"My name is Dr. Manoj Paul, one of the fertility experts here," he said introducing himself. "I see that you guys are looking to have a baby, huh? You've come to the right place."

He unlocked his iPad and pulled up the Bhallas' electronic file.

"So I've reviewed your file, and I understand that, Mrs. Bhalla, you have some previous medical history of ovarian tumors, right?"

Ishita nodded. She found Raman's hand under the table who intertwined their fingers and gave a reassuring squeeze.

"I've formulated a plan of the possible options based on your history. So this first appointment is just to go over those options, and then you guys can decide how you'd like to proceed. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Sounds good."

"So the first and most common option is that we start with hormonal treatment," Dr. Paul explained. "This would involve fertility shots for Mrs. Bhalla. You'd take regular shots of hormones to help develop a viable pregnancy. This includes inducing ovulation, creating a hospitable environment in the uterus, and such. In this time, you both would have to follow a strict schedule as far as sexual activity is concerned. Sometimes you can engage, sometimes you must abstain."

"Should I be taking any other supplements along with those shots?" Ishita asked. "I've been taking folic acid and iron."

"That's good. It also helps to take calcium and vitamin D to help with baby's bone development. I'll suggest that you take a prenatal vitamin with those as well."

"Can you suggest the best one?" Raman asked.

"Absolutely. If we continue with the hormonal treatment, then I'll prescribe the best prenatal vitamins."

He made a quick note in his iPad before continuing.

"Now, in the event that hormonal treatment doesn't work, our next step would be IVF or in-vitro fertilization. You may have heard about this in popular media. Basically we extract an egg from the mother and sperm from the father. We fertilize the embryo in the lab and then implant it in the uterus."

Ishita and Raman kept nodding along with the doctor.

"Now, I am worried about the scarring in Ishita's ovaries and oviducts. It means your egg count is low and there might be trouble for the pregnancy to develop. If the hormone treatments and IVF doesn't work, then there is a surgery that can be performed to remove the scarring. It's called a fimbrioplasty and that can help-"

"No surgeries doc," Raman interrupted him. "Ishita has already had two abdominal surgeries in the past three years. First for her tumors, then after she got shot. Will her body be able to handle another one?"

"I understand your concerns, Raman. But I wouldn't be suggesting this if I didn't think Ishita could handle it. It is a minially invasive surgery performed right here in our clinic. She can go home right after and she'll be good as new in a week. But nonetheless, ho sakta hai shaayad uski naubat hi naa aaye. I'm hoping that you can get pregnant without the surgery. This would be a last effort, only if nothing else works."

Raman gulped. Ishita nodded.

"And finally," Dr. Paul continued. "If you guys don't want to undergo too many treatments then you have other options like surrogacy or adoption-"

"No!" they both spoke up at the same time startling Dr. Manoj.

"Actually... We're here because... because I want to be pregnant," Ishita explained. "Surrogacy defeats the purpose."

"Okay then... Understood," he replied. "I am picking up what you're yelling down. No surrogacy."

He made another note in his iPad before addressing his patients.

"So how would you guys like to proceed?" he asked.

"What would you suggest?" Raman asked.

"I think the first step should be fertility shots. It's the most non-invasive and is usually quite effective."

"You ready for this?" Raman asked turning to his wife.

Ishita took a deep breath. "I am ready. Let's do this."

FEBRUARY

Bhalla House – Wednesday, 5 pm

"Adi, you forgot to add this expression before multiplying," Raman said.

"But shouldn't addition come after multiplication?" Adi asked. "BODMAS? A comes after M?"

"Yes, but this sum is in brackets. And B comes first."

Adi groaned in exasperation as he erased his answer in the notebook. His father sat beside him on the dining table, teaching order of operations and helping him prepare for his math test the next day. Meanwhile, Ishita made dinner in the kitchen, kneading dough on the counter and stirring aloo & tinde sabji on the stove.

"Is this okay, dad?" Adi asked, working on another math problem.

"Yes, you're doing good. Keep going."

The scratching of Adi's pencil and the sizzle of the vegetables cooking were the only sounds in the kitchen. Until Raman spoke up in a gruff voice.

"Adi, how many times do we have to go over this?" he sighed. "What is five squared? Is it ten?"

"Oh... sorry." Adi erased his answer and corrected it. "It's just that every time I see an exponent of two, my mind just thinks multiplied by two."

"You need to pay attention beta. If you make a mistake like this on a multi-step problem on the test, then you'll get the entire question wrong. You'll lose all the marks."

"Sorry-"

The clatter of metal utensils cut their conversation short. They looked over to the kitchen to find Ishita swaying on her feet with a palm clapped over her mouth and eyes squeezed shut painfully.

"Ishita, kya hua tumhe?"

"Are you okay, Ishimaa?"

Before she could answer, another wave of nausea swept over her and Ishita darted off to the bathroom. Raman and Adi followed her, but she slammed the bathroom door in their faces before hurling over the toilet.

Once she had emptied the contents of her stomach, she washed her face and gurgled her mouth with mouthwash. She opened the door breathing heavily and emerged with a pale face marred with sweat.

"Ishimaa, are you sick?" Adi asked instantly.

"No baccha." Ishita brought an arm around his shoulders and squeezed reassuringly. "I think I just ate something funky for lunch today. Humaare clinic mein ek nurse ki birthday party thi aur maine cake kuch zyada khaa liya."

"Madrasan, tu baith ja. Aaram kar," Raman insisted, guiding her to the kitchen table and pulling out her seat.

He couldn't even find it in himself to tease her about eating too much cake. After all, these symptoms were a side effect of the fertility shots she was taking for them. There was maybe one other possibility though...

"But what about dinner?" Ishita asked him, sitting down. "And who'll pick up Ruhi from her dance class?"

"I can call Romi or Rinki to bring her home. Meanwhile, I'll make dinner. Kya karna hai?"

"Tinde ki sabzi ready hai. Sirf rotiyaan banaani hai."

"Seriously Ishimaa? Tinde?" Adi groaned. This day was getting worse and worse. First math, now tinde.

"Adi, not now." Raman glared at his son.

"Sorry," he replied sheepishly realizing his folly. "But dad, if you're making dinner, then what about my math homework?"

"I'll help you," Ishita chimed in. "Show me what you're working on."

While Raman went to work in the kitchen, Ishita helped Adi through his math problems, much to his relief. It was much easier doing math with Ishimaa then with Papa. She was much gentler.

Meanwhile, Ishita kept alternating between muffling her mouth to supress waves of nausea and rubbing her forehead to relieve a dull headache. She couldn't tell whether this was a side effect of the fertility shots or a symptom of pregnancy. She was too scared to hope it would be the latter.

That night, she decided to test the theory.

"Go on madrasan. Take the test. We'll look at the result together," Raman said.

Ishita took a deep breath and nodded at him before going into the bathroom with a fresh pregnancy test. She came back two minutes later clutching the test in her hand.

"You ready?" she asked.

"Let's see it."

He came over and placed his hand on the small of her back, as she turned over the pregnancy test with a pounding heart.

NOT PREGNANT

Frustrated and disappointed, she hurled the test into the garbage can, sniffing at the tears pooling in her eyes.

"It's okay... It's okay Ishita..."

Raman wrapped her in a hug and rubbed her back, as she sniffled and hiccupped in his chest.

"We'll keep trying," he whispered, kissing her forehead.

MARCH

Raman's office – Monday, 12 pm

"Bhai! Lunch is here!" Mihir stormed into Raman's office with a tiffin box. "Aaj mummyji ne butter paneer aur aloo kulche bheje hai! By god, pet mein chuhe daud rahe hai! Mummyji kya kulche banaati hai, makhan lagaa ke..."

Mihir laid out their lunch on the table, as he continued to rave on about Toshi's cooking.

"Come on over bhai!" he cried out, beckoning his elder brother.

"I'll come over..." Raman shut his laptop and opened the mini-fridge in his office. "...but I'm not eating that. I have my own lunch."

"Wmph?!" Mihir garbled, mouth full of paneer. Once he finished chewing, he asked, "Since when do you bring your own lunch?"

Raman sat down beside Mihir and unwrapped his lunch, which only increased the latter's confusion.

"You're eating your own lunch, and that too a salad? Agar mummyji ko pataa chala toh woh bolengi ki aap asli Punjabi nahin hai," Mihir chuckled.

"Kabhi kabhi health ka bhi khayaal rakhna padta hai, saale. Khudko hi dekh le. Teri tond nikal rahi hai." Raman poked his brother's belly.

Mihir swatted his hand away. "Main ekdum fit hoon. Mujhe aur mere paneer ko nazar mat lagao."

Raman chuckled and shook his head. Before digging into his salad, he took out a vitamin bottle from his bag and unscrewed the cap. He gulped down a multivitamin before chomping down on his salad. The paneer in Mihir's plate was enticing, but he shook the craving away.

For the past three months, Ishita had changed so much about her life. She had changed her diet, lessened her work responsibilities, and was constantly taking fertility shots or vitamin pills. She was always dealing with one side effect or another, ranging from cramps to headaches to bouts of vomiting. The least he could do was support her in eating healthier and taking some vitamins himself. The doctor had said the antioxidants would help with his sperm count and quality.

"Bhai, are you really not going to have any paneer? Or even one kulcha?" Mihir asked.

"No, I'm good."

"Then how am I supposed to finish all this food by myself?"

"Kyun? Romi kidhar hai? Woh khaayega na?" Raman asked.

"Nope. He left like ten minutes ago," Mihir replied. "He said he was meeting someone for lunch. I think he has a date."

"Of course he does... How many times has he gone out like this? God knows when that boy will get responsible."

"Let off him bhai. He's doing good work here. Besides, who knows... Maybe he might be getting ready to settle down. What if this girl is the one?"

"You really think so? Because he has a new girl on his arm every month."

"Something tells me that's not the case with this one."

"I sure hope so..."

Meanwhile @ Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Clinic

Ishita opened the door to her office and shed her medical coat, wiping the sweat off her brow. She had just finished a routine root canal but the fertility shots meant she got tired faster than usual. Even a thirty-minute procedure had her perspiring.

She draped her coat across the back of her chair and sat down, rubbing her temple. It was her lunch break now, and she was starving. Just as she unwrapped her lunch – a whole wheat lettuce & tomato wrap – an alarm rang on her phone and the screen lit up.

Time for the FSH shot

Immediately, she set down her wrap and retrieved the injection from her kit. Having made sure that the door was locked, she got the syringe ready and took in a deep breath. She pulled her saree aside, exposing her stomach, and injected the shot below her belly button. A hiss of pain escaped through her teeth.

She had come up with a system to keep track of her fertility shots, menstruation periods, and ovulation windows with an app on her phone. As was her routine, she inputed the time of the shot into her phone as she threw away the used syringe.

It was at that moment that she realized her period was three days late. It was quite possible that her cycle was off because of the hormones. Or the stress of the fertility treatment. But what if...?

"No Ishita. Not right now," she said aloud. "Abhi us baare mein mat socho. Just eat your lunch and focus on your work."

Picking up her wrap, she took a bite and chewed. Every time she had taken a pregnancy test, and every time it had come back as negative, she had Raman by her side. He had stood by as a rock, comforting her in her lowest moments. Even today, when her period was late, she needed him to be by her side to take the test.

She gulped down her bite but she could barely stomach it. And she could barely eat any more. All she could think about was the uncertainty and anxiety crawling up her throat. She couldn't take it. She had to know. She needed a pregnancy test.

Rewrapping her lunch, she set it aside and picked up her office landline dialing for the receptionist.

"Batra Medical Center. How can I help you?" said a male voice on the other end.

"Hi, this is Ishita. Is Sarika there?" she asked.

"No ma'am, she's gone out for lunch."

"Again? She's been going out a lot lately."

"Is there something I can do for you, ma'am?"

"Uh yes... I was just letting you know that I'm going over to the gynec branch of the medical center. I'll be back in about twenty minutes."

"Okay ma'am."

Ishita hung up the phone and made a beeline for the gynecology clinic of the Batra Medical Center and bought a pregnancy test. She was back in her office in ten minutes after which she locked herself in the bathroom to use said test.

Two minutes later, she peered at the stick and her heart fell.

NOT PREGNANT

Aditi_X thumbnail

IshRa's Icons

Part 67

APRIL

Bhalla House – Thursday, 8 pm

"And how many chambers does the heart have?" Ishita asked.

"Four," Adi answered. "The top two are called atria and the bottom two are ventricles."

"Very good. And what are the three types of blood vessels?"

"Arteries, veins, and capillaries."

"And which direction does blood travel-"

"Arteries carry blood away from the heart, and veins carry blood towards the heart. And capillaries carry out gas exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide."

"Very good Adi!" Ishita beamed. "I'm so proud of you. You're going to ace your science exam tomorrow."

"Thanks Ishimaa. Now I just have to go over the respiratory system. Then I'll be ready."

"Okay. Jaa kar revision kar lo, phir main aapko quiz karti hoon."

After Ishita handed Adi his notebook back so he could continue revising, she turned her attention to Ruhi, who had abandoned her pencils for crayons and her grammar worksheet for a coloring book.

"Ru, aapne grammar ka practice nahi kiya?" Ishita asked, exasperated at the empty worksheet. "Kal aapka English ka exam hai na?"

"Maine pura din practice kiya mumma. I'm tired now," Ruhi complained without taking her attention off her crayons.

"Beta, you need to practice your contractions. Just do this last worksheet, then I'll leave you alone."

"No mumma..."

Unfortunately for Ruhi, her mother's patience was wearing thin. Because mood swings and irritability was another side effect of fertility drugs.

"Ruhi! Ek baar bola na maine! Put those crayons away and focus on your worksheet!" Ishita yelled.

Regret clouded her head in an instant. Tears pooled in the little girl's eyes and she ran out of her room.

"Ruhi! Baccha!"

But Ishita's cries fell on deaf ears. Ruhi was out of the room and on her way to anyone else who wasn't mad at her. She was the cherished angel of the home and there was no dearth of people who coddled her. She stumbled upon one of said people.

"Kya hua Ru? Aap ro kyun rahe ho?" Raman asked.

"Ishimaa ne daanta," Ruhi whimpered.

"Accha? Kyun?"

"Maine pura din study kiya papa. Ab nahin karna."

"Kal aapka last exam hai bacche. Thoda aur study karlo. Phir vacation hi vacation hai."

Raman picked up his daughter in his arms and headed back to where she had run out from. He knew Ishita to have endless patience with their kids, but even she had a limit. And knowing her mood swings, she must've been just as regretful as Ruhi for scolding her. His suspicions were proven right when they found Ishita in the kids' room with red, tearful eyes.

"Dekho toh sahi," Raman said to his daughter. "Ishimaa ko bhi bura lag raha hai ki unhone aapko daanta. Aap bhi unko sorry bolo. Jao." He lowered Ruhi to the floor and nudged her towards her mother.

"Come here baby." Ishita opened her arms for her daughter. Ruhi walked forward and hugged her.

"Sorry maine aapko daanta Ru."

"Sorry I didn't study properly mumma."

Ishita tightened her arms around her little girls and tears escaped her eyes. After a wet, tearful hug, Ruhi agreed to finish the worksheet.

"My god... That was something out of an emotional soap opera," Adi giggled.

"Seriously Adi, yeh girls kitna roti hai..." Raman chuckled, rolling his eyes.

The revision session lasted for another half hour, after which Raman and Ishita retreated to their bedroom, having put the kids to sleep.

"Are you sure Ruhi isn't mad at me?" Ishita asked. Again.

"Madrasan, she's fine. You were right to scold her." Raman came in front of her and hung his arms on her shoulders, interlocking his fingers behind her head. "Zyada soch mat."

"I'm usually never like this... I don't know what's come over me..."

Raman leaned in and planted a kiss on her quivering lips to silence her. "Everything's fine. Don't think too much about it," he said between kisses.

Getting lost in the moment, Ishita pulled her husband close, gripping onto his waist. The slow and sweet kiss escalated to a point where she had to painfully separate herself from him.

"We can't tonight," she muttered in disappointment. "We're supposed to abstain."

"Ugghh... I totally forgot."

Raman dropped his forehead on her shoulder and took in slow, deep breaths. This was torture. He kissed her neck one last time before straightening himself. He brought his hand up to her cheek and carressed her lovingly. And noticed her skin warming up.

"Ishita, do you have a fever?" he asked. "Tumhara badan tup raha hai."

"Nahin, maine temperature check kiya tha. It's only a couple degrees up."

"Wait..." The wheels turned in Raman's brain. "Couldn't this mean...?"

"Yes," she finished for him. "Pregnancy can cause an increase in body temp. But so does hormonal imbalance."

"There's only one way to know, isn't there?"

He nodded at her, and wordlessly, she understood. It was time for a pregnancy test. Unfortunately, even this month the results said the same thing.

NOT PREGNANT

MAY

Batra Medical Center – Friday, 5 pm

"Sarika, Mr. Goyal was a no-show, so I'm on my way home. I'll see you tomorrow," Ishita told the medical secretary on her way out.

"Wait ma'am!" Sarika called out.

Ishita stopped and turned around at the exit to see Sarika running towards her.

"Kya hua Sarika?"

"Ma'am, I'm applying for a financial grant. And I was wondering if you could be a reference for me?"

"Of course! I'd be honored to. But a financial grant? Achanak paiso ki zaroorat pad gayi? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah... Kind of... I mean..." Sarika sighed and decided against hiding her dilemma. "Actually ma'am, you know how my mom has been in a wheelchair for two years? Well, I reached out to this doctor specializing in regenerative medicine and he might be able to help her walk again. It's just that his fees are a bit steep. So I'm applying for this grant."

"Oh I see. I hope it goes through."

"I hope so too. I'll see you tomorrow ma'am. Bye!"

"Bye!"

Despite leaving her clinic in high spirits, her mood came crashing down when she arrived home. For the basket full of dirty laundry in her room remained as is, in spite of her specific instructions to a certain someone to wash it.

"Raman! Raman!" she shouted in annoyance.

"Kya hai? Kyun chilla rahi ho?!" he yelled back, running into their room.

"Why haven't you done this laundry? You had the day off today, didn't you?"

Raman sighed. "I got busy in other things. Bacchon ka vacation hai toh unhe bahar ghumne jaana tha. Then I got wrapped up in a few phone calls and emals."

"I gave you one job. One job! How much would it have taken for you to put one load of laundry in?"

"Oh my god! Bhul gaya main yaar! Hota hai kabhi kabhi... Kya farak padta hai?! Neelu aakar kar degi na kal!"

"Neelu kal nahi aa rahi hai!" Ishita groaned in anger. "Maine bola toh tha!"

Their fight continued throughout dinner. Even when they went to bed, they were giving each other the cold shoulder.

Raman turned around in bed and pulled the blanket towards himself. In retaliation, Ishita pulled the blanket back, engaging in a tug of war.

"Do you mind, Jhansi ki Rani?!" he muttered.

"Not at all, Raavan Kumar," she gritted through her teeth.

"You know what? Just go to sleep. Mujhe abhi baat hi nahi karni tumse." He reached over and switched off his bedside lamp.

"Mujhe bhi koi baat nahin karni."

"Fine."

"Fine."

However, the night wasn't over yet. Ishita turned on her bedside lamp, and Raman groaned in frustration.

"Ab kya hai?!" he yelled.

"We can't sleep yet."

"Kyun? Ab isme bhi tumhaari permission leni padegi?"

"I'm ovulating."

"Uggghhh...!" He knew what that meant. "Fine, but we're keeping the lights off."

"Fine by me. I don't want to look at you either."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

But when she took a pregnancy test a week later, they were dismayed to find out it hadn't worked. For the test still said...

NOT PREGNANT

JUNE

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – Thursday, 11 am

"Dr. Manoj, we've been doing these hormonal shots for six months now. But it still hasn't worked," Raman complained.

"I understand, Mr. Bhalla," Dr. Paul replied. "We usually give this treatment six months of time. If it doesn't work, we'd move on to the next step."

"And what would that be?"

"IVF. Are you ready for it?"

Raman and Ishita exchanged a cautious glance before nodding at the doctor.

"We're ready to try," Ishita answered.

"Okay..." Dr. Manoj turned on his iPad and pulled up their file along with the tentative IVF plan he had formulated.

"So I think the issue why the hormones didn't work is because of Ishita's previous history. Her egg count is low because of a damaged ovary and the scarring in her tubes means that the egg is having trouble travelling to the uterus. But if we do all of that in the lab, then we can bypass those obstacles," the doctor explained.

"What's our first step then?" Ishita asked.

"The first step is that we change your medications to induce ovulation of multiple eggs. We'd do an ultrasound to make sure the follicles are developing right, then go in 3-5 days later to retrieve the eggs. While we retrieve your eggs, we'd need a sample of Mr. Bhalla's sperm to fertilitze the eggs. Hopefully, we can get more than one viable embryo which we can then implant into the uterus. Sounds good?"

Raman and Ishita nodded.

"Are you ready to start today?"

"Yes. Absolutely," Ishita answered. The faster the better.

"Okay then." Dr. Paul made a note in his iPad before continuing. "Mrs. Bhalla, I'm going to change the dosage of your medication. Meanwhile, let's get you an ultrasound for some ovarian testing. And Mr. Bhalla, we'll just do a quick physical checkup for you as well as some sperm analysis."

And thus, they set to work. The first week was spent on making sure Ishita's eggs were stimulating and ovulating. Five days later, Dr. Manoj called the couple back to retrieve her eggs and Raman's sperm. Once the embryo was ready another week later, he implanted it into Ishita's uterus.

And thus commenced a period of earnest, arduous prayer.

"You should be able to take a pregnancy test in about seven days," Manoj explained to them as they were leaving after the implantation appointment. "Or you can wait until you come back here for your follow-up when we'll do the test for you. It's up to you."

"Thanks doctor."

At home, Raman ushered his wife straight to their bedroom before anyone could intercept. The process of IVF had taken over their entire month, on top of the responsibilities of work and family which they couldn't disregard. They needed a break.

"Ishita," he began, sitting her down on their bed and kneeling in front of her. "Talk to me. How are you feeling?"

"I feel like a human pin cushion," she laughed bitterly. "Six months, Raman... It's been so long and nothing worked. I just hope this finally works."

Her hand traveled to her stomach of its own accord. Their baby might already be in there. But after half a year of disappointment, she didn't even have the strength to hope.

Please Murugan. Please let this work. Humaara sapna pura kar dijiye. Bas ek hi khwaaish hai meri. Please...

"It will work. Mera man kehta hai this will work." Raman placed his hand on hers, trying to infuse some of his hope to her. God knew she needed it.

Mataraani... Meri Ishita ne aaj tak aapse kabhi kuch nahi maanga, sivaay ek bacche ke. Please uski pukaar sun lijiye. Please...

JULY

Bhalla House, Raman & Ishita's bedroom – 11 pm

"Here, have this chamomile tea Ishita. It should help with the cramps." Raman handed his wife a cup of herbal tea as she straightened up on the bed with a pillow at her back.

"Thank you so much."

Ishita took the cup of tea and took a sip, its warm healing vapors soothing the pain around her waist. With the other hand, she pressed a hot water pack down on her belly.

"Is it helping?" Raman asked.

"A little bit." Ishita hissed in pain as she changed the position of the hot pack. "Are you sure aapko sona nahi hai? Kal aapki meeting hai na?"

"I'm fine. Waise bhi kal ki meeting Romi sambhaal raha hai."

Ishita took another sip of the soothing tea.

"Main ek kaam karta hoon, tumhare liye balm le aata hoon. Shaayad bahar ke drawer mein padaa hoga," Raman suggested. He was out the door before Ishita could answer.

He returned with a vial of balm a minute later. Ishita lied down at his behest, setting the tea and hot pack aside. He lifted her kurti, baring her stomach, and uncapped the bottle of balm. He took out a generous amount and spread it over her skin, sweeping his palms over her abdomen and rubbing in gentle circles.

"Does that feel better?"

Ishita nodded and her brows loosened as the pain dissipated, and the knot in Raman's chest loosened.

"Your cramps are never this intense madrasan. Aaj kya hua?" he asked, closing the bottle of balm.

"These aren't period cramps, Raman. This is because of the estrogen from the IVF treatments. I haven't had my period in a week."

No sooner had she uttered those words did their eyes perk up.

"Do you think-"

"I don't know," she answered him before he could finish. "Maybe?"

"Do you want to check?"

Ishita gulped. It was time. Time to check if the month's long process of IVF had worked. Wordlessly, she rushed off the bed and into the bathroom. Minutes later, she opened the door of the bathroom and gestured for Raman to come in.

"The test is on the counter. I haven't looked yet," she revealed.

"Let's look together."

Raman clasped her hand and brought his other arm around her shoulders, as he led her inside. They nodded at each other before turning their eyes towards the counter as the result appeared on the pregnancy test.

NOT PREGNANT

Her face crumpled. She lost the strength in her legs. And the tears she had held in came rushing out.

"I can't believe it... It didn't work..." she sobbed, her back shuddering from the force of her cries and the pain of the heartbreak.

"Shh Shhh..." Raman's arms came around her instantaneously as she sobbed and hiccupped into his neck, even as his own tears chased each other down his face.

"We'll try again. It'll work the next time," he sniffed.

"No." She unentangled herself from his arms and wiped her cheeks. "That's it. I give up."

"Ishita, wait-"

"I can't do this anymore Raman. Har baar humaari ummeed badhti hai, aur har baar ummeed tut ti hai. Ab mujhse nahi hota."

Saying so, a heartbroken wife stomped out of the bathroom leaving a dejected husband behind.

Wooden Cottage @ Lake Shore Park – 18 July, 4 pm

"Chalo sab log! Cake kaatna hai!" Mihika called out as Rinki set up a red velvet cake on a picnic table. "Adi! Ruhi! Shravu! Ananya!"

Adi, Shravu, Ruhi, and Ananya ran out of the cottage and to the picnic table. Romi and Mihir put away their tennis rackets and emerged from the woods. Bala, Raman, Omprakash, and Vishwa wrapped up their deck of cards. Toshi, Madhu, Vandu, and Ishita ended their badminton game. The family soon gathered around the picnic table, ready to cut the cake.

"Happy Anniversary Raman bhai & Ishita bhabhi!" Rinki announced.

"Happy Anniversary Akka and Jeeju!" Mihika exclaimed. "Aao na, cake kaatiye."

Raman and Ishita came forward and cut the cake as their kids and family cheered them on.

After the long ordeal of IVF last month, and after Ishita's decision to end the treatments, their anniversary had come up before they even realized. But even though they didn't have time for an elaborate plan, their family had come through and surprised them with a picnic to their favorite lakeside park to celebrate two years of marriage. Two years – full of laughs and tears, ups and downs, fights and squabbles, hugs and kisses – all gone by in the blink of an eye.

"Yeh le madrasan." Raman fed her a bite of red velvet cake. "Happy Anniversary."

"Happy Anniversary to you too." Ishita fed him a bite in return, surreptitiously whispering his ear, "I love you Raman. So much."

"I love you too," he whispered back secretly.

The past year had been rife with disappointment and heartbreak as their efforts to get pregnant kept going in vain. They had held each other, cried in silence, and braved through it, their relationship emerging through just as strong and solid.

"Humein bhi cake chahiye Chitti!"

"We want a piece papa!"

Shravu and Ruhi's cries popped their tiny bubble. Ishita cut up the cake and Raman handed everyone a slice. The rest of the day passed by in laughter and joy, as they relished on pizza for dinner and cake for dessert.

When it was time to leave, Raman sent the kids home with their grandparents and whisked his wife away for some private time. After all, they were at the same lakeside cottage they had come to a year and a half ago. The same cottage where he had realized he was in love with her.

"How long has this place been booked for us?" she asked, as they walked along with lake, hand in hand under the stars.

"Until tomorrow morning," he revealed. "I extended the booking a few hours ago for the two of us. Sab ko ghar bhej diya hai. Ab saare kabab mein haddi chale gaye."

They walked along the lake, in total silence, until they couldn't help but address the elephant in the room (or on the shore rather).

"Ishita, I wanted to talk about-"

"About doing IVF again?" she finished for him. "I already said no."

"We only tried once madrasan. We should try again. The doctor told us that the first attempt doesn't always work."

"Raman, why can't you just drop this?"

"Because I know where your happiness lies. Remember when you told me you wanted to try getting pregnant? Maine tumhaari aankhon mein aisi chamak pehle kabhi nahi dekhi thi."

Ishita sighed and twisted her hands around his arm, resting her head on his shoulder as they walked. "I know what you're saying, but... I don't want to think about it right now. Can we just take a break from all this? At least for a few weeks."

"Of course. We can talk about this later."

Raman exhaled shakily and gently kissed her temple. She had been through a lot over the past eight months. It was completely natural for her to want to stop all efforts. But Raman knew her better than herself. And he knew Ishita would regret it if she didn't give it at least one more try. He'd fight anyone for her happiness. Even her.

But not right now. Not when she was so emotionally raw. He could bring this topic up later.

"...and that's the Great Square of Pegasus, right?" she asked, pointing to the stars and echoing his words from the last time they were here.

"No, that's just four stars clustered together," he retorted.

"Oh so when you say see four stars in group, it's the 'Great Square of Pegasus.' But when I see it, it's 'just four stars clustered together'?" she mocked him, using air-quotes.

"Yes... Because you clearly don't know your constellations."

They argued all along the way until they reached the cottage. While Ishita went into the bathroom to change, Raman walked into the bedroom, unbuttoning his shirt.

That's when his eyes fell on something on the bed. A bouquet of roses and lilies rested atop a flat, rectangle-shaped object wrapped in bright red wrapping paper.

"Now what's this?" he murmurred, surveying both objects.

The bouquet and gift were unlabelled. Unable to tamp down his curiosity, he ripped open the gift to reveal a beautiful star map on a midnight blue backdrop. It was labelled as the night sky of Delhi, India on the day of their anniversary. He read the caption and a sweet smile crept up his lips.

This is the only time I'll admit it Raavan Kumar.

You were right. It was the Great Square of Pegasus.

I'll never forget that night.

-Love, Jhansi Ki Rani <3

-Love, Jhansi Ki Rani <3

"Kaisa laga?"

He turned around and found his wife leaning against door frame of the bedroom.

"This is amazing," he smiled. "How did you manage this? And when did you even set this up? I was with you all day."

"You're not the only one with spies in the family."

"Jagga Jaasoos," he chuckled. "I think this is the best gift you've ever given me."

"Really?" She stepped towards him with a curious smile. "Itna pasand aaya aapko?"

"Oh yeah absolutely. Because you finally admitted I was right."

"Oh god. I knew this was coming back to bite me." She slapped her palm on her forehead.

"Ek baar bol ke sunao na."

"Nope."

"Say it, 'Raman, you were right.'"

"Never."

"Sunne mein hi kitna accha lag raha hai."

"Shut up."

"I'll treasure this forever."

When he wouldn't stop bragging, Ishita shut him up the best way she knew: with a passionate kiss. After that, even Raman gave up the fight. He quickly became interested in something much more fun.

OCTOBER (three months later)

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – Tuesday, 3 pm

"Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla!" the receptionist called out. "Please go ahead and wait in Dr. Paul's office. He'll be there in a few minutes."

Raman and Ishita stood up, left the waiting room, and entered Dr. Manoj Paul's office. They were here for one last attempt at IVF, after which, they would let it go. Because at the end of the day, Raman was right. And Ishita knew it.

Motherhood was one of the pillars of her identity, and the sheer joy she felt at just the prospect of having a baby was something she had never experienced. She couldn't even imagine what it would be like for that dream to actually come true.

But she couldn't bear to have that dream shattered again. So she had agreed to one final cycle of IVF. If it worked, she would thank the gods for blessing her. If it didn't, then she would let go of the dream and accept that it was never in her fate. Neither could she disappoint Raman any further, nor could she face disappointment herself.

"Hello Raman and Ishita!" Dr. Paul's booming voice broke her trance, as he walked in and took his seat at the desk. "It's so good to see you. How are you guys doing?"

"We're doing good. Thanks for asking," Raman answered.

"And how are you Mrs. Bhalla? I can understand how disappointing it can be when IVF doesn't work."

"I'm okay," she whispered with a phony smile.

Manoj could sense the pain behind her fake smile – as he had seen in many of his patients – but he didn't want to pry. Not when he could do actual medical work and give them what they so desperately desired.

"I understand you guys are here for another attempt of IVF?" he asked.

"Yes. We've decided to try one last time," Ishita replied.

"Doc, what should we do differently? Why didn't it work last time?" Raman asked.

"There's not just one concrete answer that I can give, Mr. Bhalla. IVF can fail because of many reasons like egg quality, implantation issues, and differences in uterine climate. As far as what we can do differently... I think Ishita should get a fimbrioplasty."

"You mean the surgery to remove scarring?" Ishita asked.

Manoj nodded.

"No. She's not going to have a surgery," Raman protested vehemently.

"I understand why you're reluctant," the doctor began, "but I assure you, it is completely safe. We can perform it right here in this clinic. A tiny forceps is inserted through the abdomen and the entire thing is over in less than an hour. It's more of an outpatient procedure than a surgery."

"But-"

"Raman," Ishita interrupted him before he could protest further. She held his hand and faced him. "We've been trying for almost a year. The hormone treatments didn't work. IVF didn't work. If we're trying again, then we might as well go all in. Please. Let's do this."

Raman gulped. He had convinced her to try again. Now she was persuading her to go all in. Ever so hesitantly, he agreed. "Okay. Okay, let's do this."

They nodded at Dr. Paul, who noted it in his iPad. "We can schedule the procedure for next month. Before that, we'll have to perform a full physical checkup and blood work for you, Ishita. Are you okay to do that right now?"

"How long will it take?" she asked.

"About a couple hours. We're very short-staffed today."

After a glance at her husband, she decided in the negative. "Can we schedule it for next week? We have to leave for our daughter's dance recital soon."

"That's fine." He opened the calendar on his iPad. "We can do the check-up on October 28th. And then schedule the procedure a week later on November 5th, right after Diwali."

"Sounds good."

"Thank you."

NOVEMBER

Bhalla/Iyer Residence – 4 November, Diwali, 8 pm

"Happy Diwali Santoshi!"

"Diwali ki mubaarakaan tainu Madhavi!"

"Happy Diwali samdhiji!"

"Aapko bhi Diwali ki bahot bahot shubhkaamnaye Iyer saab!"

Toshi and Madhu hugged each other, dressed in bright, shiny colors, while Omprakash and Vishwa shook hands on the joyous occasion. Lights and diyas (oil lamps) lined each wall. Colorful rangolis and flowers adorned the hallways. The fragrance of sweets wafted through the air.

"Aiyyo sab bacche kidhar hai?" Madhu asked.

"Sab log niche chale gaye pathake-shathake fodne," Toshi answered. "Tu bhi chetthi-chetthi chal. Niche chalte hai."

Both pairs of parents arrived downstairs in the next minute to join the chaos of a Bhalla-Iyer Diwali. Adi and Shravu were bursting one bomb after another with Bala and Mihir. Ruhi and Ananya were setting off rockets with Romi and Raman. Simi and Ishita were setting up sweets and snacks at the counter. Rinki and Vandu were engaged in chatter with Trisha and Pathak, while Mihika was running after a Kshitija who had just learned to walk and wouldn't sit still.

"Ishita puttar, teri maa ko bhi mithaai khila," Toshi urged, who had just brought Madhu over to the counter. "Simi, tu jaa kar apne papaji aur uncle ji ko de."

As Simi waltzed over with a tray of laddoos, Ishita fed Madhu a kaju-katli.

"Happy Diwali Amma!" she exclaimed, hugging her mother.

"Happy Diwali Ishu!" When they broke the hug, Madhu caressed her daughter's cheek lovingly. "Main Murugan se pray karungi ki tumhaari saari wishes puri ho. Aur woh jald hi tumhari god bhar de."

Ishita sucked in a sharp breath. For the past year, she and Raman had kept their matters private. If anyone in the family had found out, they definitely hadn't made it known. But now that her surgery was coming up tomorrow, everything had quickly unraveled and the family had found out. Most of them didn't bring it up, but Toshi and Madhu were too excited to reign in their joy.

"Tu fikar na kar madrasan," Toshi chimed in. "Maatarani ne sab thik kar dena hai. Unki kripa hogi meri bahu par aur saara kuch changa ho jaayega."

Toshi raised her hands and twisted them in front of Ishita, cracking her knuckles at the side of her head, in a gesture to bless her daughter-in-law.

They joined the celebrations a few minutes later, as the music was amped up a notch. But despite the environment of jubilation, the pressure in Ishita's chest grew. An unusual amalgamation of hope and anxiety churned inside her. Her surgery was tomorrow. And she desperately hoped it would work. Murugan had to listen to her this time. If not for her, then at least for the family and their expectations.

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – the next day, 5 November, 9 am

"Mrs. Bhalla, we're ready for you now. Please come with me."

A nurse beckoned Ishita inside. She stood up nervously, hands trembling with anxiety. Her eyes unconsciously traveled to her husband.

"It's going to be okay, Ishita." Raman turned her towards him and hugged her. "Don't be nervous. Hmmm?"

Ishita nodded and blew out a shaky breath. Raman gently kissed her on the forehead before gesturing her to follow the nurse inside. When she disappeared around the corner, Raman sat down in the waiting room, his knee bouncing with anxiety.

Sweat beaded at his brow and he wiped it away. He was so worried. He knew better than ever of the toll that the fertility treatments had taken on Ishita's body. On top of that, this was his wife's third surgery in four years. And he couldn't help but fret over the risk Ishita was undertaking.

But he knew this risk was worth it. They had been trying to have a baby for a year and nothing had worked. Every time the pregnancy test came back negative, her heart broke and it crushed him. He hated seeing her suffer.

In all this time, her dream had become his dream. He had dreamt of a pregnant Ishita, her adorable mood swings and unusual cravings. He had dreamt of a precious little bundle of joy in their arms. A baby bouncing in her lap; a toddler climbing on his shoulders; tiny little legs running all over the house chased by Adi and Ruhi.

This was their last chance to make that dream come true. It had to work.

Meanwhile, Ishita changed into a surgical gown and lied down on an exam table. She squeezed her eyes shut and sent a silent prayer to Murugan.

"Don't worry Mrs. Bhalla," the nurse said, noting her anxiety. "This is a very simple procedure. And we have a very skilled team here."

Ishita nodded at the nurse. But that was not why she was nervous. She was nervous because even after months and months of treatments, nothing had come of it. Every time she took a pregnancy test, her hopes got up only for the universe to cruelly crush them. And with that, she crushed Raman's dreams too. And now her mothers' expectations were attached too. She couldn't let them down either. This was their last chance. It had to work.

"Are you ready Mrs. Bhalla?" the surgeon said when he came in.

Ishita took a deep breath. "I'm ready."

The next two months were spent making rounds of the fertility clinic while simultaneously fielding questions from their mothers.

Two weeks after her surgery, Dr. Paul urged them to begin the next cycle of IVF. Raman and Ishita went through the motions: ovulation, egg retrieval, sperm analysis, fertilization, and implantation. It all brought them to this moment, two months later, when they stood in the bathroom of their home waiting for the pregnancy test results to appear on the stick.

Ishita picked up the pregnancy test with trembling hands. Raman held her shoulders from behind and drew in a shaky breath. She turned over the stick and they watched with their heart stuck in the throat.

The results said...

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

Both the parts were really very nice please update next part soon

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

Both the parts were really very good please update next part soon

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I knew it! I knew you would finish it there!!!!!!!!!

I just cannot wait for the next episode!!!!!!!

Anyway, absolutely amazing chapters - all 3 of them!

Chapter 64/5 - you handled the emotions beautifully - you dealt with the trauma's of all 4 of them with great insight and thoughtfulness and understanding of the whole situation. I know everyone has said this that the show never elaborated on this - just a little plaster on the forehead and no after effects!!!! Loved how you concentrated on each one individually - Ruhi and Adi's nightmares, Ishita's panic attacks and finally Raman's fear - and most importantly - conversation between them - I love when you get Ishra to talk to each other rather than just shouting - this way both then understanding each other's emotions and thoughts and come to realise what the other is feeling and most importantly - no misunderstandings - I really dislike it when there are misunderstandings between them just because they do not talk to each other! This is one of the many things I like about this story, you have beautiful conversations between Ishra!!!!🤗⭐️

Similar sort of situation in chapter 66/7 but gosh so much emotion and wow you are just out of this world truly - you handled the whole scenario with so much dignity and realism and so moving!!

I was so happy that you did not go for surrogacy - in fact even Raman said "no" which was excellent- didn't want Shagun to come back again!!!!😡 but I knew you would not put us through that horror!!!!

Lovely phase of pregnancy - I really want them to enjoy the whole nine months with the full works beautifully and make it really touching and romantic and lovely emotional moments they missed when Adi and Ruhi were born and dram come true blissfulness please!!!!!

Please, please, please update soon!!!

nafnaf thumbnail

By the way, I loved the gift - amazing!!!⭐️

Ishita never managed to give Raman a lovely gift and when she did get him a nice bracelet, that went totally out of the window with all the misunderstandings the silly Mani/jealousy track!!!

Anyway your gift was "out of this world!!!" literally!!😉

Aditi_X thumbnail

IshRa's Icons

Part 68

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – Friday, 22 January, 11 am

"Okay Mrs. Bhalla, let's do this ultrasound and end all this confusion, huh?"

The ultrasound technician brought down the probe on Ishita's lower belly covered in scanning gel. Raman sat on a stool beside her and rolled closer to where his wife laid down on the exam table. Instinctively, her hand found his and he intertwined their fingers together. She looked at him, nervous and jittery, and he gave a hard squeeze to comfort her.

"It's okay, Ishita. We'll figure this out," he assured her.

She nodded and exhaled a shaky breath before turning her head to the ultrasound screen.

Flashback

Ishita picked up the pregnancy test with trembling hands. Raman held her shoulders from behind and drew in a shaky breath. She turned over the stick and they watched with their heart stuck in the throat.

The results said...

PREGNANT

Ishita blinked.

Raman blinked.

"Does that say..."

"Is it really..."

"I'm pregnant?!" Ishita exclaimed in disbelief.

"You're pregnant!" Raman gasped. "We're pregnant!"

Immediately, Ishita threw her arms around her husband, shaking with sheer disbelief. Raman banded his arms around her waist and hugged her tightly, almost lifting her up in joy. It worked. It had finally worked.

"I don't believe this, Raman..." Ishita whispered into his ear, her tears dripping on his collar.

"You better believe it, my love," he whispered back. "I told you it would work."

He separated their hug and wiped her tears, peering at her with such love and tenderness, the tears started all over again. She closed the distance between them again, slanting her lips over his and kissing him through the joy.

"You're pregnant," he said between kisses.

"We're pregnant," she giggled, taking his hand and gently placing it on her tummy. "Humaara baby..."

She didn't know how to finish the sentence but Raman understood. For his joy escaped from his eyes in the form of tears, just like her.

But unfortunately, their joy was short-lived. For that same night, before they had even wrapped their heads around the new joy, Ishita got her period. She couldn't tell what was going on. Was the pregnancy test a false positive? Or was she actually pregnant and had lost it? Or was the bleeding just normal spotting in the early days of pregnancy?

Immediately, Raman had booked the very next appointment at the fertility clinic to answer their questions.

Flashback ends

"So according to your records," the ultrasound tech said, "it's been six weeks since the end of your IVF cycle. We should be able to see the fetus on the sonogram."

Raman and Ishita gazed at the screen, holding hands and their breath. The ultrasound tech manuevered the scanning probe all over her belly. She looked for different angles and gradually, her brows furrowed and lips pursed. An ominous vertical line of concern appeared between her eyebrows.

Ishita easily picked up on the change in her expressions. "What's wrong? Why do you look like that? Is something wrong?" she asked, frantic.

"Um... I'll just... I'm just going to get Dr. Manoj Paul to look at this," the tech gulped.

"No no no no, this is the face that doctors make when something's wrong. Just tell me. Tell me what's wrong!" Ishita demanded.

"Ma'am, let me get Dr. Paul, okay?"

The technician wiped the gel off the probe and put it away before rushing out to find the doctor, leaving Raman and Ishita behind in a cloud of doubt and panic.

"Raman, yeh sab kya ho raha hai?"

"Just breathe madrasan," Raman urged, even as he masked his own anxiety.

Dr. Paul arrived in record time, pocketing his stethescope, and picked up the probe.

"Doc, what's going on?!" Raman yelled. "That technician won't tell us anything. She just left to find you without saying a word. Humaari jaan nikli jaa rahi hai!"

"Just let me have a look, Raman. Just a minute."

Manoj placed the probe on Ishita's lower belly and turned his attention to the screen. When the sonogram appeared, he held back a sigh of regret.

"Raman, Ishita," he began. "Unfortunately... you're not pregnant."

"WHAT?! How is that possible...?"

"But that pregnancy test! It said positive!"

"Did we lose the pregnancy?"

"What was that bleeding?"

Manoj gulped. This was the worst part of his job.

"Raman, Ishita," he began, gesturing them to calm down. "The sonogram shows that you are not pregnant. And were likely never pregnant. What you guys experienced was what we call a chemical pregnancy. Home pregnancy test kits detect the presence of a hormone called hCG. Because of the IVF drugs and the implantation, you had high levels of that hormone in your system. But the embryo never implanted. The pregnancy never developed. That's why you got your period. I'm so sorry..."

Dr. Paul continued explaining the technicalities behind a chemical pregnancy and how they could still try again. How their chances to get pregnant naturally were greater after the surgery. But Ishita couldn't hear any of it. Wind whistled in her ears, and her vision was tunnel-focused on the sonogram. The sonogram with no baby.

She was empty.

A brick of tears jammed her throat and the walls began closing in. She couldn't do this anymore. She wasn't pregnant. There was no baby.

"Ishita... Ishita, tum sun rahi ho?"

Raman shook her by the shoulder, but she gave no response. She wasn't there. She couldn't be there. In a fraction of a second, she wiped the gel off her tummy and darted out of the room, straightening her askew saree and violently rubbing the tears rushing down her cheeks and neck.

"Ishita! Ishita, wait!" Raman ran behind her, with his heart pounding out of his rib cage, and temple throbbing painfully.

He found her hunched on a bench outside the back of the clinic, shaking and sobbing. A million shards of glass pierced the flesh of his heart, and he struggled to breathe. Tears leaked out of his eyes as he grasped her shoulder with trembling hands.

Tu radave, Tu hasave,

Tu bolave dware... Tu bolave dware...

"Ishita..." he whispered.

His wife reacted instantly. She shot up from the bench and pushed him angrily, causing him to stumble two steps back.

"WHY RAMAN?!" she screamed. "You said it would work! For a minute I thought it did work! Lekin ab..."

"Ishita, please sambhaalo apne aap ko-" Raman stepped forward and grasped her arms, but it did nothing to calm her down. She fisted her hands, slamming them on his chest, sobs racking through her lungs.

"Sab kuch khatam ho gaya... It's all over..." she cried.

The shards of glass shredded his heart, slicing it into ribbons. In all the time he had known her, he had never seen her break down like this. Nothing he said or did was getting through to her. All she could do was punch his chest and push him away. But he knew better than that.

"ISHITA!" he yelled, shaking her and boring his eyes into hers. "Sambhaalo khud ko! Please..." His loud, gruff voice took on a pleading tone at the last word.

Nirasha asha same jyare jyare haare,

Jyare jyare haare...

When her eyes met his, she lost every last piece of fight she had left. Her head fell onto his chest and he brought his arms around her, holding her close as she cried her heart out.

"It didn't work. Nothing worked," she sobbed into his neck. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..."

"Shhh, bas madrasan." Raman stroked her hair and rubbed her back. "You have no reason to apologize. This is just... This was all out of our control. Maybe next time-"

"No." Ishita pulled back and looked into his eyes. "No, there's not going to be a next time. You convinced me to try one last time and I agreed. But not anymore. Please."

Raman gulped. She was right. She had agreed to try one last time. And she did. He couldn't compel her to do anything more. Neither of them had it in them anymore.

"Okay," he nodded at her.

Silence stretched between them like a taut string. Neither of them knew what to say. He guided her to the bench and they sat down, leaning into each other.

"I'm sorry Ishita. I thought it would work but..."

Raman didn't know what else to say. There were no words to console her. Instead, he simply kissed her on the forehead and took her into his arms again, burying his tear-streaked face into her hair. Ishita clung to him, her violent sobs subsiding to quiet sniffles, finding solace in the only person who could've understood her pain.

Kori aakho ma sapnu ek malkayu

Mann ma aasha nu vahalsoyu bij ropayu

"Where do we go from here?" she asked, when she could speak again.

"I don't know," he answered truthfully.

They couldn't go home. They couldn't go to work. All they wanted was some comfort from this grief. And the only source of comfort right now (apart from each other) was comfort food. Twenty minutes later, they were seated side by side in a corner booth of the nearest café, eating hearty macaroni & cheese with a comforting warm bowl of soup.

"Ghar pe sab ko kya jawaab denge?" Ishita whispered between sips of her tomato soup. "Amma, Mummyji, un logon ke sawaal-"

"Unki chinta mat karo." Raman put down his spoonful of chicken soup and draped his other arm over her shoulders, holding her close. "Unke liye kisi bacche se kayi zyada tum important ho."

Ishita rested her head on his shoulder and sighed. "Mujhe maaf kar dijiye, Raman. Sab meri wajah se-"

"Shhh. Maine pehle bhi kaha hai, aur ab phir se keh raha hoon. Is sab mein tumhaari koi galti nahi hai. Mujhse maafi mat maango."

"Toh kya kahun main? We tried everything. We did everything right. And none of it worked. Humaari saari mehnat, saari ummeedein tut kar bikhar gayi."

"Ishita, humaare bas mein jitna tha, humne kiya. Lekin agar bhagwaan ki marzi nahi thi, toh hum kya kar sakte hai? Aur aisa thodi hai ki humaare bacche hi nahi hai? Adi hai, Ruhi hai... Aur hum bhi toh hai na ek dusre ke saath? Hmm?"

Ishita gulped and nodded.

Kaalja no katko re... Mara Kaalja no katko

While the aforementioned husband and wife were dealing with heartbreak and the remnants of shattered dreams, another couple in the same café were basking in the shade of their blooming love, nurturing hope for their future.

"Tum ek baar mein itna kaise khaa lete ho, Romi? This is your fourth slice of pizza!" Sarika sighed with wonder.

"You wouldn't be saying that if you knew how much I was working at the office now," Romi said, garbled between bites.

"Tum akele insaan nahi ho jo itna kaam karta hai. I've been pulling double shifts nowadays as well, you know?"

Romi washed down his pizza with a swig of coke. "Why? I thought you liked staying home to take care of your mom."

"Yeah, but we need the extra cash for this new treatment. The grants I applied for haven't gone through yet."

"Sarika, I've already offered this before. Please let me pay-"

"And I've already said no, Romi. It's very sweet of you to offer but I can't accept it."

Romi sighed. He had known Sarika for almost a decade, but it was only in the last year that he had found out how righteous, independent, and tenacious she actually was.

They had met for the first time during his college days. He was on a trip to Goa with his friends while she was on holiday with her cousins. Sparks flew when they met, and they fell hard and fast. They were both each other's first real relationship... their first real love.

But their summer fling was cut short when real life beckoned. Romi's big brother was undergoing a difficult divorce and a cruel custody trial. Sarika's mother had an accident that left her paralyzed. And neither of them were old or mature enough to cement their relationship with a ring.

They had broken up mutually, shoving the angst into a corner of their heart that neither of them could reach. Sarika couldn't reveal the pain in her heart due to the stigma of pre-marital relationships in her social circle. Romi never had the chance to share his sorrows owing to his big brother's marriage crumbling (another reason why he had so much suppressed anger towards Raman for leaving).

But in the past year, they had reconnected. And Romi had never felt happier. He could practically hear his heart sing.

"Let me know when you're done with your pasta," Romi told his girlfriend, wiping the pizza sauce from his mouth. "Kyunki phir mujhe office waapis jaana hai. We're starting production on the French contract today."

"That's amazing, Romi!" Sarika exclaimed. "Waise... main ek baat puch sakti hoon?"

"Sure."

"Tum yeh office ka kaam enjoy karte ho?"

"Kyun achanak aisa sawaal?"

"Bas aise hi. I mean I know you followed in your brother's footsteps with the MBA and all. But I was curious if you actually enjoy it."

Romi chewed his lip in thought, startled at Sarika's perceptiveness. No one had ever asked him that. And he hadn't really thought of it himself.

"I do," he answered truthfully after a minute of thought. "There was a time when I didn't have much ambition. So Papa just made me do an MBA like Bhai did. But now... I quite enjoy it. This is my first big project though. So I'm really nervous."

"You'll do great, Romi. I believe in you..."

Romi smiled at his girlfriend's words. But in the very next minute, the blood drained from his face.

"Kya hua, Romi? Achanak tumhara chehra kyun utar gaya?" Sarika asked.

"Shhh!" Romi picked up a menu card and held it against the side of his head, hiding his face. "Raman bhai and Ishita bhabhi are in the booth on the other corner."

"What?!" Sarika immediately picked up her purse and hid behind it. "Ma'am aur sir yahan par?"

"We need to get out of here. Agar kisi ko bhi humaare baare mein pata chala toh bhukamp aa jaayega."

Romi knew his family well, especially his mother. The minute she would find out about his relationship, she'd begin harping on him to get married. And neither he, nor Sarika, wanted that right now.

He opened his wallet and took out a wad of cash, leaving it on the table, before signalling to his girlfriend to secretly leave the café. They tiptoed out of the restaurant, through the back exit, and ran out at full speed, giggling at their narrow escape.

Bhalla House, Ishita & Raman's bedroom – the next day, Saturday, 4 pm

Raman stomped into his room, removing his wallet and keys and tossing them onto the dresser. He began untying his wristwatch, only for the strap to get caught on the metal buckle.

"Yeh nikal kyun nahi raha?" he muttered in frustration.

With his patience having been beaten within an inch of its life, he ripped the watch off his wrist and threw it against the wall, groaning in annoyance. The glass of the dial cracked, and he fell onto the bed in exasperation.

It had been a hellish weekend. His mom and dad had begun the day with a petty argument. Romi had gotten in a fight with Rinki over their misplaced electronics. And Adi and Ruhi had inundated him with a barrage of questions, like why they had to do math homework or why they had to drink milk every single day.

Pavan same divo dharyo che

Ishavar ene jose, Ishwar ene jose...

Truth be told, none of the above was out of the ordinary for their family. But he had been on edge since yesterday. Specifically, since the devastating news at the clinic. Since Ishita's heartwrenching breakdown. She had somehow composed herself throughout the day, but it killed him that he couldn't do more to comfort her.

Raman rested his elbows on his knees, lowered his chin, and dropped his head into his hands, sighing in defeat. It was an emotion he was well-acquainted now. And for all the worst reasons. He had convinced Ishita for the fertility treatments, for the IVF. He had assured her that it would work. He had turned her dream into his dream, and it had all broken down yesterday.

As he rubbed his eyes, suppressing the ache and agony in his heart, a warm weight settled on his knee. He opened his eyes to see that his wife had come in and was leaning against his knee. His hand traveled to her head, as he caressed her lovingly, still at a loss for words.

Lamba raste bhula padi

Jone kasauti karse, jone kasauti karse..

"Thank you, Raman," Ishita whispered, startling him.

"Thank you kis baat ke liye?" he asked, voice husky and gruff. The love of his life had one dream, and he couldn't even fulfill that. He didn't deserve any thanks.

"Thank you... is mushkil safar mein mera itna saath dene ke liye," she said.

Ishita lifted her head and met his eyes. Raman slid off the bed and lowered himself onto the floor, sitting beside his wife. Ishita snaked her hand around his arm and caressed him comfortingly. He had been her rock and her sounding board throughout this journey, but that meant he had hid his own sorrow to be her strength. Now it was time for her to be his strength.

"Raman, apne aap ko itna mat kosiye please," she pleaded. "Shaayad humaare naseeb mein kabhi baby tha hi nahi."

"Yeh tum keh rahi ho?" he asked, recalling her breakdown from the previous day.

Ishita nodded. "Aap hi ne kaha tha na, we've done everything we possibly could. Lekin jo cheez kismat mein hai hi nahi uske peeche kyun rona? We have each other. And we have Adi and Ruhi. We'll be fine."

Raman inhaled a shaky breath and took her hand in his. "You're right. Jab tak tum mere saath ho, mujhe aur kuch nahi chahiye. But still... I'm sorry it didn't work."

"I'm sorry too," Ishita sighed.

Je thase e saru thase mann shane tu dankhe..

Mali jashe fali jashe jivla tu je jankhe...

They sat together like that, holding each other through the grief, until Ishita heard her kids calling her.

"Mumma!"

"Ishimaa!"

She lifted her head from Raman's shoulder and cleared her throat. "Bacchon ko niche ke park mein khelne jaana hai. Aap aayenge humaare saath?" she asked him.

Raman shook his head in the negative. "Nahi, tum jao. Main kuch waqt akela rehna chahta hoon."

Ishita palmed his cheek and made her husband look at her. He needed some time alone – she could see that – but she didn't want to see him wallow in the grief for longer than necessary.

"Thik hai," she agreed. "Par zyada der akela nahi rehna, samjhe?"

Raman nodded at her and his eyes softened. Ishita gave him a soft kiss before leaving the room. As Ishita's retreating figure disappeared out of the room, Raman breathed in and out. The sharp, shooting pain in his heart had dampened to a dull throb, enough for him to know they would eventually get over it.

He stood up and picked up his watch that lay against the wall, rubbing the pad of his thumb over the cracked glass dial. He tossed it onto the dresser and walked out onto his bedroom's balcony into the cool fresh air.

Minutes later, the merry voices of his kids wafted up to the second story from the park underneath. He vision focused on the trio in the park, and his heart warmed up despite the needles of pain shooting through it.

Adi climbed up the ladder and slid down the slide, almost falling onto the gravel from the speed. Ishita was at the foot of the slide in the next instant, grabbing onto her son and surveying him for injuries, even as Adi brushed his knees off and climbed up the ladder again.

With one last glance at her son, Ishita walked over to her daughter, who was struggling to push herself on the swings. Naturally, she came up behind Ruhi and pushed her on the swing, until the little girl giggled with delight.

And in that moment, for the first time in over 24 hours, Raman saw his wife flash a smile that truly reached her eyes. In the end, she was right. They had each other. And they had Ruhi & Adi. In the grand scheme of things, they would most definitely be fine.

Suni par o, Shant jarukhaa, Gumsum gumsum sapna,

Gumshum gumsum sapna,

Dukh ni sathe mare kitta, Sukh che mare khap na,

Sukh che mare khap na,

Ferfudardi ne sakaldi adko dadko

Laad kari ne ramade che mitho re tadko

Kaalja no katko re... Tara Kaalja no katko

Kaalja no katko re... Tara Kaalja no katko

https://youtu.be/XUmD0OkBpqs

*** (The song above is from a Gujarati movie called Carry On Kesar that follows the story of an elderly rural couple who tries IVF to have a baby after years of trouble conceiving. It is a beautiful song that conveys the emotions that both parents go through in such a journey. It is a beautiful song, even if you don't understand Gujarati.) ***

FOUR MONTHS LATER

Batra Medical Center, Break Room – Thursday, 15 April, 2 pm

"Sarika, Mr. Goyal didn't show up this week either. This is his second yearly checkup that he's missed. Is everything okay with him?" Ishita asked, approaching the reception.

"Ma'am, I just received his email this morning. He moved to Mumbai last year but forgot to cancel his yearly appointments with us," Sarika answered.

"Okay, that makes a lot more sense."

Ishita glanced at her wristwatch. She was on-call for another hour but with her last appointment being a no-show, she had no more patients to attend. She turned to leave, but a light bulb went off in her head at the last minute.

"By the way Sarika," Ishita turned back around to her secretary. "What happened with those grants you applied for? Did you get the money you needed?"

"Yes and no," Sarika replied. "I got approved for half the grant, but not the rest."

"Oh... I'm sorry, I thought-"

"Don't be sorry ma'am. The rest of the money came through someone's anonymous donation. I have no idea who it was but I'm so thankful to that angel either way. The payment came through yesterday, right on the last day it was due. Like a miracle!"

"That's great to hear," Ishita smiled. "How's your mother doing with the treatment?"

"She's started moving on her own, but she's still a while away from walking around and working independently. But the good thing is..."

Sarika went on about her mother's recovery, but Ishita couldn't focus anymore. Her vision blurred. Her balance went askew. And a wave of lightheadedness washed over her. Sarika calling out her name was the last thing she heard before she blacked out into oblivion.

Meanwhile @ Raman's Office

"Sir, there is some confusion in the accounts here."

Raman looked up at his accountant across his desk. Account spreadsheets and company bank statements were stacked across the table, as the boss and his accountant went over their accounts.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"We're missing over five lakh rupees," the accountant revealed, turning around his calculations and showing his boss.

"How could we be missing such a huge amount?" Raman asked, brows furrowed in confusion.

The accountant shrugged. "Wait look. The last transaction happened yesterday. Wherever that money went, it wasn't long ago."

Realization dawned in Raman's eyes. There was only person who was working on the accounts yesterday. Immediately, he picked up his landline and called his secretary.

"Send Romi in here. Now!" he yelled, barely masking his anger.

Romi was in his office in the next minute. "Bhai? Aapne mujhe bulaya?" he asked.

"There was a five lakh rupee transaction yesterday. On the same day you were working in the accounts department." Raman raised his eyes at his brother and glared harshly. "Care to explain?"

Romi took a deep breath and walked in. This was it.

"Yes, I can explain." He sat down across his brother and interlaced his fingers. "I took that money for a personal issue. To help a... friend."

"And you didn't think of asking me first? Your brother and your boss?!"

"Sorry bhai, yesterday was the last day the payment was due. So I didn't have time to ask you."

"Then why am I finding out about this from the accountant and not from you?"

"Because I was working on this."

Romi took out his phone and opened a spreadsheet from his email feed. He turned the screen towards his brother.

"I've come up with a system so I can pay the company back. If you combine my share of the profits from the next contract, plus regular cuts from my salary, then we can make up the loss," he explained.

Raman's nostrils flared in anger, but he breathed through it. Technically, Romi did have a right to the money. But the way he had gone about taking it, without talking to anyone else, came up too close to stealing. And Raman wasn't comfortable with it. Even though his intentions were genuine. Even though he showed no entitlement to said money.

"Bhai," Romi interrupted his brother's thoughts. "Please trust me. I'm not using the money for anything wrong. In fact, it's not even for myself. And I will pay it back."

But Raman had no more time to dwell on the issue. For he got a phone call the next minute that shook the ground beneath his feet.

Urgent Care Clinic, Batra Medical Center – Forty minutes later

"Ishita? Ishita, tum theek ho?"

Raman's voice made it through the haziness and Ishita fluttered her eyes open. Her husband's handsome face materialized in front of her, and she straightened up on the bed, supported by him.

"What happened? Main yahan kaise...?" she stammered.

"Sarika ka phone aaya tha. Tum apne clinic mein behosh ho gayi thi," Raman revealed. "They wheeled you here to the urgent care center for a checkup."

Raman turned to the side table, picked up a glass of water, and handed it to his wife, prompting her to drink. He placed the glass back when she was done, peering at her with eyes full of concern. He had been worried about her health ever since they started the fertility treatments. Once they had stopped all efforts four months ago, he had assumed she was fine. Clearly, he was wrong.

"Ishita, kya ho gaya tumhe?" he asked in a rough voice. "Tum apna khayal nahi rakhti kya?"

"Mujhe kya ho sakta hai, Raman?" she replied. "Mujhe khud nahi pata ki main behosh kyun hui thi."

The curtain surrounding her bed slid open and a doctor appeared in answer to their questions.

"Hi Dr. Bhalla, how are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm fine really," Ishita answered. "Just a bit lightheaded."

"Doc, why did she faint?" Raman asked. "I don't understand what's happening."

"Well, we did some preliminary bloodwork to rule out any major ailments like anemia and such. But turns out, the bloodwork did reveal something."

"What?!"

The doctor smiled. "You're pregnant, Dr. Bhalla."

Ishita's jaw dropped. Raman's eyes widened. They had given up all hope four months ago. How could this be happening?

"No." Ishita shook her head vigorously. "I don't believe you. There has to be some mistake."

The doctor scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion.

"We had a positive pregnancy test in January," Raman explained. "But it turned out to be a false positive. Something called a chemical pregnancy."

And that's when realization dawned in the doctor's eyes. Once bitten, twice shy.

"Believe me Dr. Bhalla," she insisted. "The bloodwork doesn't lie."

Ishita continued to shake her head. She didn't believe it. And Raman had no answer. His heart was stuck in his throat.

"Okay, I have an idea. Hold on."

The doctor left their cubicle and came back with a doppler ultrasound. She squirted a blob of cool, blue gel on Ishita's tummy and brought down her scanning probe. The sonogram appeared on the ultrasound monitor, and the doctor turned the screen towards them. Raman threaded his fingers through Ishita's, who gripped his hand tightly.

"Look here." The doctor pointed at the grainy screen. "This black area is your uterus. And you see this little gray blob? That's your baby. You're eight weeks pregnant, Dr. Bhalla."

Ishita gazed at the screen in absolute wonder and disbelief. Her grip on her husband's hand tightened, while the other hand went over her stomach. Her baby. Her baby was really in there.

Raman gulped. His mouth opened in pleasant shock, but no words fell out. After everything they had been through, it seemed impossible that their dreams had actually come true.

"Would you like to listen to the heartbeat?" the doctor asked.

"He... She... I mean... The baby already has... a heartbeat?" Raman stammered.

"Yes, the heart begins developing as early as five weeks. Would you like to listen?"

Ishita nodded, as if still in a trance. The doctor flipped a switch and turned on the sound.

Swish... Swoosh... Swish... Swoosh... Swish... Swoosh...

Her baby's heartbeat sounded in Ishita's ears. The tiny blob on the screen moved and she almost cried out from delight. And then her trance broke. This was real. This was happening. She. Was. Pregnant.

"Raman! Dekho! Look at that!" she sniffed, tears of happiness leaking out of her eyes. "Humara baby... Our baby..." she murmured in bewilderment.

"I can't... I don't believe this," Raman whispered. "Our baby madrasan... Humara chotu..."

The tears he had held in now freely spilled over, as he sat down beside his wife and engulfed her in his arms. He rained kisses all over her face, as she snaked her hands up his back and threaded her fingers through his hair, sniffling into his chest. But for the first time in almost a year and a half, her tears were that of sheer unbridled joy.

Raman wiped her tears with trembling fingers, before lowering his hand onto her lower belly, still growing used to the idea that his baby was in there. The symbol of their love had come into existence and was growing in his wife's womb.

Ishita covered his hand with her own and held it close. She tapped his forehead with hers and smiled so widely her cheeks hurt. As adorable as she looked, Raman kissed her on the cheeks, before capturing her lips in a searing kiss. Their hearts hammered and souls sung, as a dream of one and a half years finally came true.

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update please update next part soon to know the families reaction especially Adiru about this news

nafnaf thumbnail

A masterpiece writing! Amazing! Fantastic! Superb!

So emotional, so much pain and heartache - all finally paid off!❤️❤️🤗🤗

The song was beautiful - I speak Gujarati so understood most of it!!⭐️

It was nice to see Romi and Sarika's relationship progressing. I hope Raman does not get angry with him, however just discuss the right way of doing this.

I'm very greedy now and so waiting for the next update soon please - cannot wait for some happiness to come into Ishra's life now please!!!

nafnaf thumbnail

So sorry I clicked on the wrong reply button - please see below my reply in case you do not see the one I did on "Divyalingaraju's" post!

A masterpiece writing! Amazing! Fantastic! Superb!

So emotional, so much pain and heartache - all finally paid off!smiley27smiley27smiley31smiley31smiley41smiley41

The song was beautiful - I speak Gujarati so understood most of it!!smiley10

It was nice to see Romi and Sarika's relationship progressing. I hope Raman does not get angry with him, however just discuss the right way of doing this.

I'm very greedy now and so waiting for the next update soon please - cannot wait for some happiness to come into Ishra's life now please!!!