Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Orphic thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 5

Enigma Experts

Posted: 6 hours ago

Originally posted by: spnfan

For that the director himself might know it and it's itv. They shoot episodes on a daily basis. They either don't care or don't have time for it. Actors arent put on workshop or trained before doing a character and we don't even know if the urdu dialogues are written by writers who know urdu.

Jodha Akbar was a bwood movie with the makers spending months preparing for it and that too a big budget one. The actors are trained well for a character before the shooting starts. They will have language coaches and even training for martial arts and a certain dance form if it's necessary for the role and the director is that into detailing. It's not just Hrithik's language that's good in JA, they also have given importance to the colour palette and detailing of each characters. It's mainly because ashutosh gawarikar as a director cares and bwood have the resources and time to invest.

The thing with the older nepo kids in bwood was even if they barely talked in hindi in their IVs they spoke it well in the movies like Hrithik. He barely talks in hindi in his IVs but if the character requires he will put effort and even speak urdu properly. They work for hindi film industry so they should speak Hindi properly and they all did. Dure has been working for 4 yrs now and still she cannot speak the language then it's part of her being not a good enough actor.

I see a few actors working on the dialect & pronunciations in ITV but they are not hailed because they aren't as popular as Jenny. I expected her to do better after she was praised so much for Beyhadh. Character prep should be a thing in ITV as well. If the team doesn’t have much resources the actors can do it on their own.

Durre is not considered to be a good actor yet. I guess she isn’t fluent in Urdu. If I can criticise her for her dialogue delivery I surely think it’s fair to criticise an actor who’s considered to be the best on ITV.

spnfan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Most Posts (July 2022) 1 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 hours ago

Originally posted by: blahblah131

I can tell if someone would try to speak in Spanish or Dutch in a English accent. I have spent a lot of time in Spain and the Netherlands. It's literally not a thing here. Have you heard a Spanish person speak English, they have a very thick accent and surprise surprise, they don't make fun of each other because of that, instead native English speakers find that accent sexy.

Spain occupied America's in 1948. At that time, guess who used to live there, native Americans. They killed and displaced a lot of the the native people. A significant portion of the current population in Latin America has European ancestry, mainly Spanish and Portuguese. Spanish language is part of their cultural identity.

That case is not even comparable to British colonization of Indo Pak sub continent. They didn't kill or displace us. We have our own language and culture.

A lot of black people also speaks Spanish and French and English. The English finds french or Spanish people speaking English with an accent sexy because of obvious reasons. They don't find chinese or Koreans or Indians speaking English with Chinese or Korean or Indian accent sexy. The latter ones are stereotyped and made fun of. If spanish or french people were made fun of for their English accent for decades they also won't be speaking with such thick accent so confidently.

Speaking good English in today's world for south Asians is important not because of colonial mindset but because of globalisation and opportunities. Indians and Pakistanis working in the cooperative sector in their own country will need to have basic knowledge and communication skills in English because most of the clients will be from outside. English is important in a country like India were every other state having different languages and metropolitan cities have people from all over the country working.

blahblah131 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Fans

Posted: 5 hours ago

A lot of black people also speaks Spanish and French and English. The English finds french or Spanish people speaking English with an accent sexy because of obvious reasons. They don't find chinese or Koreans or Indians speaking English with Chinese or Korean or Indian accent sexy. The latter ones are stereotyped and made fun of. If spanish or french people were made fun of for their English accent for decades they also won't be speaking with such thick accent so confidently.

Speaking good English in today's world for south Asians is important not because of colonial mindset but because of globalisation and opportunities. Indians and Pakistanis working in the cooperative sector in their own country will need to have basic knowledge and communication skills in English because most of the clients will be from outside. English is important in a country like India were every other state having different languages and metropolitan cities have people from all over the country working.

Agreed, I have mentioned this multiple times in this thread that I have no issues with the English language. I dislike elitism some desis exhibit when it comes the English language. Generally, desis think people who speak perfect English are superior, if they speak it in the native accent then that's even more appreciated. Ammna on SH was making fun of people's English outside of dramas jaisey hamarey koi native language ho. Mujhse buhat ghussa aata hai, yeh attitude observe kerkey

spnfan thumbnail

Originally posted by: Orphic

I see a few actors working on the dialect & pronunciations in ITV but they are not hailed because they aren't as popular as Jenny. I expected her to do better after she was praised so much for Beyhadh. Character prep should be a thing in ITV as well. If the team doesn’t have much resources the actors can do it on their own.

Durre is not considered to be a good actor yet. I guess she isn’t fluent in Urdu. If I can criticise her for her dialogue delivery I surely think it’s fair to criticise an actor who’s considered to be the best on ITV.

Acing a dialect or language is the last of the things itv needs to worry about smiley37 . They barely work on their scripts.

Most of the itv characters just speak Hindi itself in different dialect which is different from speaking a different language properly. As a Malayali who can understand Tamil, the few Tamil words spoken in yeh hai mohabbatein were atrocious. In kaisi yeh yaariyan, nandini was shown to be a Tamilian and she kept saying Ayyappa who is a deity in a temple in Kerala. They didn't even care to cast south Indians in these serials. Seeing all this, all Jennifer did was talk urdu like hindi.

Duree works in urdu entertainment industry in a country were that langauge is widely spoken and Jennifer works in hindi entertainment industry were urdu is mostly spoken by a certain community. Jennifer knows how to delivery dialogues in hindi while dure don't know how to delivery dialogues in urdu properly even after working in more than 10 projects and Jennifer did one character who speaks urdu here and there. I haven't seen bepanaah but if I am not wrong her character comes from an elite household and might have went to English medium schools and colleges and had friends who aren't urdu speakers and basically grew up in a multicultural society. So her not speaking good urdu can have a lot of possibilities and justifications. Look at salman or aamir they barely talk in urdu and mostly speaks in Hindi only because they grew up among people who dont speak much urdu even though they are Muslims. A lot of muslims in Kerala might know arabic more than urdu.

Edited by spnfan - 5 hours ago
spnfan thumbnail

Originally posted by: blahblah131

Agreed, I have mentioned this multiple times in this thread that I have no issues with the English language. I dislike elitism some desis exhibit when it comes the English language. Generally, desis think people who speak perfect English are superior, if they speak it in the native accent then that's even more appreciated. Ammna on SH was making fun of people's English outside of dramas jaisey hamarey koi native language ho. Mujhse buhat ghussa aata hai, yeh attitude observe kerkey

Making fun of accent among desis and feeling superior is not something reserved only to English. North Indians make fun of south hindi's hindi and english accent and south indians make fun of North Indians not knowing English at all. Every other state feels more superior than the other state and as a malayali I can guarantee you we feel we are the bestsmiley16.

Aamna is a certified elitist and is extremely biased towards a set of actors and she is pretty open about it.

Orphic thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 5

Enigma Experts

Acing a dialect or language is the last of the things itv needs to worry about smiley37 . They barely work on their scripts.

Most of the itv characters just speak Hindi itself in different dialect which is different from speaking a different language properly. As a Malayali who can understand Tamil, the few Tamil words spoken in yeh hai mohabbatein were atrocious. In kaisi yeh yaariyan, nandini was shown to be a Tamilian and she kept saying Ayyappa who is a deity in a temple in Kerala. They didn't even care to cast south Indians in these serials. Seeing all this, all Jennifer did was talk urdu like hindi.

Duree works in urdu entertainment industry in a country were that langauge is widely spoken and Jennifer works in hindi entertainment industry were urdu is mostly spoken by a certain community. Jennifer knows how to delivery dialogues in hindi while dure don't know how to delivery dialogues in urdu properly even after working in more than 10 projects and Jennifer did one character who speaks urdu here and there. I haven't seen bepanaah but if I am not wrong her character comes from an elite household and might have went to English medium schools and colleges and had friends who aren't urdu speakers and basically grew up in a multicultural society. So her not speaking good urdu can have a lot of possibilities and justifications. Look at salman or aamir they barely talk in urdu and mostly speaks in Hindi only because they grew up among people who dont speak much urdu even though they are Muslims. A lot of muslims in Kerala might know arabic more than urdu.

I understood your point but you are not getting mine. Jennifer’s character Zoya used to speak in thick Urdu in BP. My point is for an actor of her calibre she should have worked on how to deliver the Urdu words properly. It doesn’t matter what her background is irl. I don’t expect these things from actors who are considered to be average.

Take Wahaj in JBG for example. He doesn’t have a Bengali background but he prepared for his role na. People who speak Bengali here said that his accent was almost perfect.

Aaaaaaa77 thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 hours ago

True that 😂

I watched one clip of the rishta where the FL was having the kheer prepared by her saas

The saas comes into the kitchen and tells her "tum kitni laalchi ho, poora kheer kha gyi jo tumhari devrani and uske hone wale bachche k liye tha"

🙄

I don't think this good or bad acting will make any difference to the scene here

spnfan thumbnail
Posted: an hour ago

Originally posted by: Aaaaaaa77

True that 😂

I watched one clip of the rishta where the FL was having the kheer prepared by her saas

The saas comes into the kitchen and tells her "tum kitni laalchi ho, poora kheer kha gyi jo tumhari devrani and uske hone wale bachche k liye tha"

🙄

I don't think this good or bad acting will make any difference to the scene here

I read saas first as ass and thought what kind of new weird thing they came out with and then reread it againsmiley37