Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Orphic thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 5

Enigma Experts

Posted: a day ago

Originally posted by: Rashi23

I think something majorly is going wrong with wrt yumna's acting, during tb too these guys felt she was a miscast and didn't like her acting as meerab and for zarnab also they have the same views.

Anyways, I don't think there's any chemistry between her and fahad, they'd have also looked very mismatched if munna was played by fahad.

Meerab was a good performance from her, wont take it away from her. For Zarnab people felt she lacks that strong aura the character had to possess. But anyway the character was there to make gol rotis only in the second half so it’s fine.

Fahad looks way younger than Humayun. You could easily see how mismatched her & Humayun looked as a couple. Besides Fahad is a better actor than Humayun so it might have worked well. The second half was all about Munna so a better actor was needed for that.

Dilsha thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 hours ago

I just realised syra changed her insta name to syra Yousuf instead of sairoz. They were comments under her previous posts to change name since long but someone commented if you do you loose blue tick

blahblah131 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Fans

Posted: 7 hours ago

Originally posted by: Orphic

Because it is not our native language. Most of us were introduced to English as a subject first where the focus was on grammer & pronunciations. Look at it that way than being so harsh on desis in general.

Pak TV actors like Durre get criticised for not pronouncing Urdu words correctly. Even I have talked about it. Does that mean I am suffering from some inferiority complex that’s why I consider people having proper Urdu pronunciation superior?

We are from different places may be our experiences aren’t the same. Let it be.

You mentioned Urdu pronunciation that reminded me of another example of associating elitism to the English language. Burger bacha's or people pretending to be elite try to speak Urdu in a English accent. Now why is that?. It's because people feel that they sound like an angraiz and feel superior because of it.

Have you heard a Spanish person feeling good about trying to speak Spanish in an English accent. Nopes, they weren't colonized by the British.

PS: Durre works in Urdu dramas, the criticism is valid. If she was working in Hollywood and then someone criticized her Urdu pronunciation then it wouldn't be valid

spnfan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Most Posts (July 2022) 1 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 hours ago

Originally posted by: blahblah131

You mentioned Urdu pronunciation that reminded me of another example of associating elitism to the English language. Burger bacha's or people pretending to be elite try to speak Urdu in a English accent. Now why is that?. It's because people feel that they sound like an angraiz and feel superior because of it.

Have you heard a Spanish person feeling good about trying to speak Spanish in an English accent. Nopes, they weren't colonized by the British.

PS: Durre works in Urdu dramas, the criticism is valid. If she was working in Hollywood and then someone criticized her Urdu pronunciation then it wouldn't be valid

Will we be able to know if a spanish person speaks Spanish with English accent? We can identify a spanish person talking english with a spanish accent but not the other way around. Also Spain is one of the colonisers and not among the ones who got colonised. A lot of American countries have Spanish as their language due to colonisation just like British colonised countries adapted English. So does all those American countries who speak Spanish feel superior because they speak the language of the ones who colonised them?

Edited by spnfan - an hour ago
Orphic thumbnail

Enigma Experts

Posted: an hour ago

Originally posted by: blahblah131

We are from different countries so we have had different experiences. The accent thing is not prevalent here. I haven’t seen people talking with fake accents. We have different accents for our local language, a city accent & a rural accent but we speak English normally.

You might be right about your country mates.

I gave an example of Urdu because we are still judging her for not properly speaking it. It was not limited to English only. I have criticised Jennifer as well for not being good with pronunciation in BP.

Edited by Orphic - an hour ago
spnfan thumbnail
Posted: 51 minutes ago

We are from different countries so we have had different experiences. The accent thing is not prevalent here. I haven’t seen people talking with fake accents. We have different accents for our local language, a city accent & a rural accent but we speak English normally.

You might be right about your country mates.

I gave an example of Urdu because we are still judging her for not properly speaking it. It was not limited to English only. I have criticised Jennifer as well for not being good with pronunciation in BP.

Jennifer not speaking proper urdu can be understandable. She is a Christian born and brought up in Mumbai and her first language most probably be English and most probably went to a Christian management schools. She speaks Hindi really well for a Hindi serial actress. Urdu in India is mostly only spoken by the Muslim communities. So she won't be speaking urdu the way a native urdu speaker will speak. There will be a touch of hindi in her urdu and both languages are very similar. She might need a language coach to know the proper difference between hindi and urdu and itv don't even care about the story so forget about accuracy. I think even in bwood , srk is the only one who speaks good urdu out of the Muslim actors because of having more interaction with the muslim community while growing up while Aamir, Salman etc grew up in a more multi cultured society. Srk uses more urdu words than the others.

Orphic thumbnail

Enigma Experts

Posted: 42 minutes ago

Originally posted by: spnfan

Jennifer not speaking proper urdu can be understandable. She is a Christian born and brought up in Mumbai and her first language most probably be English and most probably went to a Christian management schools. She speaks Hindi really well for a Hindi serial actress. Urdu in India is mostly only spoken by the Muslim communities. So she won't be speaking urdu the way a native urdu speaker will speak. There will be a touch of hindi in her urdu and both languages are very similar. She might need a language coach to know the proper difference between hindi and urdu and itv don't even care about the story so forget about accuracy. I think even in bwood , srk is the only one who speaks good urdu out of the Muslim actors because of having more interaction with the muslim community while growing up while Aamir, Salman etc grew up in a more multi cultured society. Srk uses more urdu words than the others.

I criticised her for pronunciation. Even Rajat Tokas as Akbar pronounced some words wrong while Hrithik didn’t. The director should make sure na whether they are getting it right or not.

spnfan thumbnail
Posted: 25 minutes ago

I criticised her for pronunciation. Even Rajat Tokas as Akbar pronounced some words wrong while Hrithik didn’t. The director should make sure na whether they are getting it right or not.

For that the director himself might know it and it's itv. They shoot episodes on a daily basis. They either don't care or don't have time for it. Actors arent put on workshop or trained before doing a character and we don't even know if the urdu dialogues are written by writers who know urdu.

Jodha Akbar was a bwood movie with the makers spending months preparing for it and that too a big budget one. The actors are trained well for a character before the shooting starts. They will have language coaches and even training for martial arts and a certain dance form if it's necessary for the role and the director is that into detailing. It's not just Hrithik's language that's good in JA, they also have given importance to the colour palette and detailing of each characters. It's mainly because ashutosh gawarikar as a director cares and bwood have the resources and time to invest.

The thing with the older nepo kids in bwood was even if they barely talked in hindi in their IVs they spoke it well in the movies like Hrithik. He barely talks in hindi in his IVs but if the character requires he will put effort and even speak urdu properly. They work for hindi film industry so they should speak Hindi properly and they all did. Dure has been working for 4 yrs now and still she cannot speak the language then it's part of her being not a good enough actor.

Edited by spnfan - 19 minutes ago
blahblah131 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Fans

Posted: 18 minutes ago

Originally posted by: spnfan

Will we be able to know if a spanish person speaks Spanish with English accent? We can identify a spanish person talking english with a spanish accent but not the other way around. Also Spain is one of the colonisers and not among the ones who got colonised. A lot of American countries have Spanish as their language due to colonisation just like British colonised countries adapted English. So does all those American countries who speak Spanish feel superior because they speak the language of the ones who colonised them?

I can tell if someone would try to speak in Spanish or Dutch in a English accent. I have spent a lot of time in Spain and the Netherlands. It's literally not a thing here. Have you heard a Spanish person speak English, they have a very thick accent and surprise surprise, they don't make fun of each other because of that, instead native English speakers find that accent sexy.

Spain occupied America's in 1948. At that time, guess who used to live there, native Americans. They killed and displaced a lot of the the native people. A significant portion of the current population in Latin America has European ancestry, mainly Spanish and Portuguese. Spanish language is part of their cultural identity.

That case is not even comparable to British colonization of Indo Pak sub continent. They didn't kill or displace us. We have our own language and culture.