Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 days ago

Originally posted by: pathaka

Purleez …what shaming? Lol…sabya himself has skimpy blouses and deep neck ones in his collection …point is, he dosent claim to be making the saree “cooler” by doing so…it’s just a stylistic choice ..

…I said bra blouses, synthetic fabrics , blingy aesthetics and sloppy drapes (ie messy unstructured pleating) are not needed to “make the saree cool” for the younger gen ….

The saree and is and will always be cool…it dosent need to be “bollywoodized” into the above stereotype for it to be cool….its an age old garment and diff communities and traditions drape it differently (with or without blouse) ..no issues there ..

but if they are gonna insinuate that they somehow “made it better” because of their sexier take on it …that’s a whole lot of bs .. that aesthetic does not equal cool or young …that’s a very narrow and limited way of thinking (what’s the opposite of s**t shaming? Prude shaming?)

The “respectability” discourse is not abt saying don’t wear skimpy sarees …it’s saying that “ur not making it cooler” by skimpifying it …it’s not showing respect to the existing garment and its heritage ….coz “they” seemingly brought it back in fashion with their sexiness 😒…pfft …

And my regard for Sabya and Gaurangs sarees is to do with the fabrics they use, their regard for Indian weaves which most of my generation would not have known abt had it not been for them…

What MM does now (work with Indian weaves like patola, uppada etc) ….Gaurang and sabya did it decades ago …his misconception that he is pioneering the saree or making it accessible to todays world is stupid to say the least

This still a whole lot of saying the same. The stylistic choices are "not" sophisticated or elegent because that's not how we wore it.

If more people want to wear sarees with bras, that's as acceptable and 'respectable' form of saree. It is a common cultural entity that can be interpreted however the wearer wants it.

Women were wearing handloom sarees with bralettes when I was in college and even before that. Karan Johar speaks a lot of shit to grab headlines, that doesn't mean sarees can be gatekept.

Tbh, I hate sequins and unsustainable fabrics so MM is not my man. But Sabyasachi being an obnoxious gentrifier of indian sartorial heritage ("all Indian women should know how to tie a saree") while collabing with a fast fashion giant like H n M is something. These people don't renumerate handloom weavers fairly so whatever they are self-attestedly doing to 'revive' Indian weaves is laughable.

+ Most of our generation wouldn't know Indian saree weaves without Sabya et al? The guy who has homogenised all Indian bridal fashion with a goti-pata lehenga?

A generation or two before us were still wearing region specific bridal fashion. Ever since dude sort of marketed himself as the arbitrator of bridal taste (with band baja bride), he himself has had no respect for regional weaves lol.

Edited by Blueeeee - 6 days ago
pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 days ago

Originally posted by: Blueeeee

This still a whole lot of saying the same. The stylistic choices are "not" sophisticated or elegent because that's not how we wore it.

If more people want to wear sarees with bras, that's as acceptable and 'respectable' form of saree. It is a common cultural entity that can be interpreted however the wearer wants it.

Women were wearing handloom sarees with bralettes when I was in college and even before that. Karan Johar speaks a lot of shit to grab headlines, that doesn't mean sarees can be gatekept.

Tbh, I hate sequins and unsustainable fabrics so MM is not my man. But Sabyasachi being an obnoxious gentrifier of indian sartorial heritage ("all Indian women should know how to tie a saree") while collabing with a fast fashion giant like H n M is something. These people don't renumerate handloom weavers fairly so whatever they are self-attestedly doing to 'revive' Indian weaves is laughable.

+ Most of our generation wouldn't know Indian saree weaves without Sabya et al? The guy who has homogenised all Indian bridal fashion with a goti-pata lehenga?

A generation or two before us were still wearing region specific bridal fashion. Ever since dude sort of marketed himself as the arbitrator of bridal taste (with band baja bride), he himself has had no respect for regional weaves lol.

Hmm a whole lot of the same thing and yet here we are repeating it …again
I said the respectability discourse is NOT abt saying women can’t wear bra blouses if they want to…

It’s about implying that it’s somehow a better or more desirable / cooler / younger way to wear a saree ..that is disrespect to the saree in all its existing forms ..

lol what? Sabyas claim to fame was his whole Indian textile showcase starting with khadi to Benarasi to kanjeevaram and Chanderi…all belonging to diff regions ..Kantha work (West Bengal)…Kalamkari (Andhra/telangana) ..same with Gaurang who experiments with jamdhani, paithani, Patola…what’s so wrong abt saying they brought attn to Indian weaves much before other designers looked in that direction?

sabya is in a saturation point now with his bridal looks, that dosent negate how much attn he brought to Indian textiles …especially compared to his peers MM, TT, neeta lulla , satya Paul and the likes …

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 days ago

Repeating again. like a broken record

KJo never said he is going to make saree cooler/ he is going to bring revolution or anything like that smiley36

Whole point here from him was about saree influence in young gen these days which is obviously not that strong as previous decades.

And him not opting for handloom patola paithni style - that, he has left upto SLB and likes - he opted for chiffon like Yash raj - big deal smiley36 which is much more affordable and manageable at times.

Not sure what’s this fuss about smiley36

Edited by Nishita123 - 5 days ago
TorinoPasta thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Nishita123

Repeating again. like a broken record

KJo never said he is going to make saree cooler/ he is going to bring revolution or anything like that smiley36

Whole point here from him was about saree influence in young gen these days which is obviously not that strong as previous decades.

And him not opting for handloom patola paithni style - that, he has left upto SLB and likes - he opted for chiffon like Yash raj - big deal smiley36 which is much more affordable and manageable at times.

Not sure what’s this fuss about smiley36

In a conversation with Allure, Alia Bhatt revealed that Karan Johar wanted young girls to think sarees are cool after watching her in Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani. “Karan Johar [the film's director] said, ‘I want you to only wear saris in the film, and we need to make a saree cool. Young girls should be like, 'Oh, I only want to wear a saree,’ ” the actor said.

KJO never said matlab??? The quote is copy pasted unless Alia is lying you mean and Kjo did not say this at all.

Nishita123 thumbnail

Originally posted by: TorinoPasta

In a conversation with Allure, Alia Bhatt revealed that Karan Johar wanted young girls to think sarees are cool after watching her in Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani. “Karan Johar [the film's director] said, ‘I want you to only wear saris in the film, and we need to make a saree cool. Young girls should be like, 'Oh, I only want to wear a saree,’ ” the actor said.

KJO never said matlab??? The quote is copy pasted unless Alia is lying you mean and Kjo did not say this at all.

Please read my previous posts to connect. Not going to type again :)
young girls, saree and cool - are the key words here. In that order.
Also you modified the title to add “again” which is not mentioned in above lines. So yes KJo never said it was not cool before or he is going to make cooler.

Edited by Nishita123 - 5 days ago
e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Young girls of this generation prefer sarees as much as the young. Girls of the previous generations. Not sure what kind of circles one moves about. SoBo girls are not the only girls living in India,😆

The_Best thumbnail
This was the first and last time I ever found Alia good looking and hot smiley36
Edited by The_Best - 5 days ago
Nishita123 thumbnail

Originally posted by: The_Best

This was the first and last time I ever found Alia good looking and hot smiley36

So a Saree idea was a hit!! smiley36

And too early to say last time, aur bhi movie aayenge …you never know, she may surpass this! 🤷‍♀️

Whatever but her sarees were damn cool

They were not like heavy sarees. But seemed very everyday wear, soothing on eyes. Styling was 🔥

The_Best thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishita123

So a Saree idea was a hit!! smiley36

And too early to say last time, aur bhi movie aayenge …you never know, she may surpass this! 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, Saree idea was good and it was hit. But don’t think I will like her look again. I dislike her passionately smiley36
Edited by The_Best - 5 days ago