Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 days ago

Young girls wearing bras to work is KJo’s idea of making the sarees cool? The way such ridiculousness getting justified .smiley36

BubbleTea thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 10 Thumbnail + 4

Yeah we peasants wouldn't have known sarees existed without Kjo and his beti Alia 🙄

Deadinside thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Double post*

Edited by Deadinside - 6 days ago

Word Count: 0

Deadinside thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishita123

I call your theory BS smiley36 to add one more BS in the history of all your BS smiley36

Actress here is Alia. He considers her his first daughter.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. That's life-changing discovery that you just said. Your name shall appear in guinness world record for this incredible discovery.
Edited by Deadinside - 6 days ago
Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Deadinside

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. That's life-changing discovery that you just said. Your name shall appear in guinness world record for this incredible discovery.

Must be your lucky day!

Deadinside thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishita123

Must be your lucky day!

It certainly is my unluckiest day to discover this well-known discovery by you.
Blueeeee thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: pathaka

those sloppily draped fabrics with those skimpy blouses didn’t make anything cool …I single-handedly blame Manish for ruining the heritage of a saree with his blingy synthetic messily draped sarees and bra blouses aesthetic …

Sabyasachi and Gaurang are the only designers who show some respect to the saree ….

Actresses who made the saree cool and aspirational to the general public are women like rekha, sridevi, hema malini, aishwarya, vidya balan …heck even kirron kher with her appearances in handloom collection in indias got talent (so many older women love her sarees )…rekha used to be ridiculed for her ott look but her decade old handloom kanjeevaram collection will go for a whopping price in todays day and age ..

Most South Indian actresses are big on sarees and even own businesses selling the same(keerthy suresh, sai pallavi, nayantara, sneha, Trisha)

If anything, they were the ones who made the saree cool and draped it properly in all its glory and loom ❤️

I mean, true that commodification and mass-production of saree has just added more layers of oppression to the weaving communities of India (and Sabyasachi is very much a part of the problem btw). When big corporates and fashion houses patent common, generational motifs, they put weavers out of competetion lol. A weaver cannot ever repeat a pattern, motif, design once woven for a big company like fabindia or Sabyasachi. Even if that motif is a cornerstone of that weaving style since generations. Plus, the credit and the perpetual indebtness in the industry is horrifying. No big business cares about respect or anything.

BUT what is this respectibilty discourse that smacks of slùtshaming? Common women in my parts did not wear blouses till a few decades ago. Many older women in my region still do not wear blouses with sarees. There are as many drapes of sarees in this world as there are weaves. Let women dress as skimpily they want lol.

Also, saree was and always will be cool— even with gen z.

Edited by Blueeeee - 6 days ago
naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

She looked completely average in saaree. More like teenage girls wearing saare in school n college farewell. Nothing exceptional.

rckRadhe thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Participants 0 Thumbnail ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail + 8

Most elegant saree! smiley27

https://youtu.be/_hF0CwjlpSs

If we remember, she was too too cute HERE. smiley20

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Blueeeee

I mean, true that commodification and mass-production of saree has just added more layers of oppression to the weaving communities of India (and Sabyasachi is very much a part of the problem btw). When big corporates and fashion houses patent common, generational motifs, they put weavers out of competetion lol. A weaver cannot ever repeat a pattern, motif, design once woven for a big company like fabindia or Sabyasachi. Even if that motif is a cornerstone of that weaving style since generations. Plus, the credit and the perpetual indebtness in the industry is horrifying. No big business cares about respect or anything.

BUT what is this respectibilty discourse that smacks of slùtshaming? Common women in my parts did not wear blouses till a few decades ago. Many older women in my region still do not wear blouses with sarees. There are as many drapes of sarees in this world as there are weaves. Let women dress as skimpily they want lol.

Also, saree was and always will be cool— even with gen z.

Purleez …what shaming? Lol…sabya himself has skimpy blouses and deep neck ones in his collection …point is, he dosent claim to be making the saree “cooler” by doing so…it’s just a stylistic choice ..MM on the other hand repeatedly claims to be some sorta messiah of sarees and how he’s “bringing back sarees” …when all he does is dump a generic shimmer, translucent fabric and bra blouse together with a drape that dosent sit

…I said bra blouses, synthetic fabrics , blingy aesthetics and sloppy drapes (ie messy unstructured pleating) are not needed to “make the saree cool” for the younger gen ….

The saree and is and will always be cool…it dosent need to be “bollywoodized” into the above stereotype for it to be cool….its an age old garment and diff communities and traditions drape it differently (with or without blouse) ..no issues there ..

but if they are gonna insinuate that they somehow “made it better” because of their sexier take on it …that’s a whole lot of bs .. that aesthetic does not equal cool or young …that’s a very narrow and limited way of thinking (what’s the opposite of s**t shaming? Prude shaming?)

The “respectability” discourse is not abt saying don’t wear skimpy sarees …it’s saying that “ur not making it cooler” by skimpifying it …it’s not showing respect to the existing garment and its heritage ….coz “they” seemingly brought it back in fashion with their sexiness 😒…pfft …

And my regard for Sabya and Gaurangs sarees is to do with the fabrics they use, their regard for Indian weaves which most of my generation would not have known abt had it not been for them…

What MM does now (work with Indian weaves like patola, uppada etc) ….Gaurang and sabya did it decades ago …his misconception that he is pioneering the saree or making it accessible to todays world is stupid to say the least

Edited by pathaka - 6 days ago