Why Karishma & Kareena played second fiddle to these actresses ?

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 27 days ago

Karishma was a Kapoor baby, contrary to the popular belief (mind made)  she also got good films on a platter without any struggle right from the start of her career due to her family name and legacy, just like Kareena. Debuted with an ambitious remake project Prem Qaidi that turned out to be a hit.

And even before any release of her or any experience at all, she got plum projects opposite biggest upcoming stars of that time Salman and Aamir in many films and started shootings for movies like AAA (Amir salman), Jaagruti (salman) , Nischay (Salman) and Sapne saajan ke etc in the year 1990 ....

Then why she chose to play legit second fiddle roles as well opposite to actresses of non filmi backgrounds / outsider struggling girls who just started their careers and were no more popular than Karishma....like Manisha was the main lead in Dhanwan (1993) while Karishma played a second fiddle role opposite her...same is the curious case of Sangram(1993) where Karishma played 2nd fiddle to Ayesha Jhulka.

Similarly why Kareena has to play a second fiddle opposite Rani in Mujh se dosti karogi (2002) when Rani was not even that popular and was not even at the peak of her career (that was 2005).

Any answers.....

--------------

Edited by sharaban - 26 days ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

Sometimes an actors has few dates available n they want money because they want to purchase luxurious cars or houses so they play second lead.

In both sangram Ayesha jhulka was village belle n Karishma didn't looked like one. In dhanwan Karishma had bigger role lengthwise.  Kareena  looked more beautiful than Rani which script demanded in MDK.

Like Akshay kumar said he did Jani dushman because he wanted to buy his house n had less money.

Sometimes actors do it for developing contacts with different PHs. 

Sometimes it's just their wish to work in a movie they feel is good like salman in KKHH.

Edited by naaznin - 27 days ago
sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: naaznin

Sometimes an actors has few dates available n they want money because they want to purchase luxurious cars or houses so they play second lead. In both dhanwan n sangram lead heroine was village belle n Karishma didn't looked like one. Same with kareena who looked more beautiful than Rani which script demanded.

Like Akshay kumar said he did Jani dushman because he wanted to buy his house n had less money.

Sometimes actors do it for developing contacts with different PHs. 

Sometimes it's just their wish to work in a movie they feel is good like salman in KKHH.

But Karishma herself played a village belle in 1993 release itself ANARI which was a clean hit.

I mean she was at start of her career, why she had to put her career at risk to play second fiddle while she already signed big films opposite rising stars at start of her career...for money ? I guess not as shaping up ones image and career must be more important for her than doing second fiddles opposite new outsider girls in two films while she was already doing main leads, is beyond my understanding.

Salman was in an extended cameo and a surprise package in kkhh, not a second fiddle per say.

WhiteNights thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Nothing wrong in playing second fiddle if the role is good/ interesting/ pivotal to the story. If anything, I am glad they didn’t have any hang ups in playing second leads. It shows they had a mature mindset. 

sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: WhiteNights

Nothing wrong in playing second fiddle if the role is good/ interesting/ pivotal to the story. If anything, I am glad they didn’t have any hang ups in playing second leads. It shows they had a mature mindset. 

Thats what my point was, they were just typical second fiddle roles with no novelty factor, I could understand if an actor is established then they can choose to experiment, but why Karishma out of all did this at the most crucial/initial stage of her career when she could have been permanently type casted as a second fiddle by the industry especially in 90s, and that too when she was already working as solo lead in many good projects...and why in front of the newcomer actresses of that time who were not even more popular than Karishma. 🙄

sulu82 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

[QUOTE=sharaban]

Karishma was a Kapoor baby, unlike the popular belief (mind made)  she also got good films on a platter without any struggle right from the start of her career due to her family name and legacy, just like Kareena. Debuted with an ambitious remake project Prem Qaidi that turned out to be a hit.

And even before any release of her or any experience at all, she got plum projects opposite biggest upcoming stars of that time Salman and Aamir in many films and started shootings for movies like AAA (Amir salman), Jaagruti (salman) , Nischay (Salman) and Sapne saajan ke etc in the year 1990 ....

Then why she chose to play legit second fiddle roles as well opposite to actresses of non filmi backgrounds / outsider struggling girls who just started their careers and were no more popular than Karishma....like Manisha was the main lead in Dhanwan (1993) while Karishma played a second fiddle role opposite her...same is the curious case of Sangram(1993) where Karishma played 2nd fiddle to Ayesha Jhulka.

Similarly why Kareena has to play a second fiddle opposite Rani in Mujh se dosti karogi (2002) when Rani was not even that popular and was not even at the peak of her career (that was 2005).

Any answers.....

--------------

[/QUOTE

I heard that she had affair with Ajay Devgan at that time. Maybe that's why she did those second fiddle roles.  

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Rani was much more seasoned and popular in 2002 times for sure..kareena was barely 2 years in BW then so her playing second fiddle to her in MDK is not surprising. It is surprising how she played one to PC in Aitraaz though but that was when her career was down with back to back flops

Haven't followed karisma's initial career much but i think she was taken seriously only post Raja Hindustani and that was when she truly started shining as a leading lady..unfortunately it only lasted 5-6 years

Briaahna thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Kareena swallowed Rani in Talassh tho 

sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Rani was much more seasoned and popular in 2002 times for sure..kareena was barely 2 years in BW then so her playing second fiddle to her in MDK is not surprising. It is surprising how she played one to PC in Aitraaz though but that was when her career was down with back to back flops

Haven't followed karisma's initial career much but i think she was taken seriously only post Raja Hindustani and that was when she truly started shining as a leading lady..unfortunately it only lasted 5-6 years

That's true, yet Rani didn't came in her full form in 2002 she just started rising to fame, her true blue popularity started from 2003 and peaked at 2005 , also Kareena already had releases that were all huge budgeted projects and had them her in solo leads, Kareena was not in a position/need to play second fiddle to Rani.

In Aitraaz Kareena had the upper hand as the typical good heart lead and heroine of the film, Pc was a vamp, but the way she portrayed that role made Kareena's role looklike a second fiddle which it was not, on papers.

-------

Edited by sharaban - 27 days ago
infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: cougarTown

I never thought Kareena was second fiddle in Aitraz though, PC was more of an antagonist.