Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

devashree_h thumbnail
Posted: 6 months ago

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

When the left gets vociferous, it usually means they are willfully ignoring or misrepresenting facts and presenting half truths for their base to consume. Like for instance the “don’t say gay” phrase which in actuality is a parental rights in education law.

The demography of people who were subjected to “Religious persecution” in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh and who have taken asylum in India does not include Muslims. The keywords are religious persecution and not persecution of other forms such as ethnic, political or gender based. Misrepresenting this and terming it as an exclusion of Muslim asylum seekers is a classic leftist tactic.

Fast tracking of citizenship for some (I have already questioned the why behind it)
doesn’t mean some others would lose their citizenship. That’s just too asinine and too far fetched a take but again when has the left shied away from fearmongering?

I don't know if the bold was clarified by anyone else, but wanted to share something I learnt recently. Apparently, you cannot get citizenship in India if you have entered illegally. CAA allows citizenship for all such persecuted people.

Also, USA has something similar called Lautenberg ammendment.

The Lautenberg Amendment, first enacted in 1990 to facilitate the resettlement of Jews from the former Soviet Union, has allowed HIAS to bring tens of thousands of refugees to safety.

https://hias.org/lautenberg-amendment/

Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: devashree_h

I don't know if the bold was clarified by anyone else, but wanted to share something I learnt recently. Apparently, you cannot get citizenship in India if you have entered illegally. CAA allows citizenship for all such persecuted people.

Also, USA has something similar called Lautenberg ammendment.

The Lautenberg Amendment, first enacted in 1990 to facilitate the resettlement of Jews from the former Soviet Union, has allowed HIAS to bring tens of thousands of refugees to safety.

https://hias.org/lautenberg-amendment/

However, the CAA has a cutoff limit of December 31st, 2014. In other words, if you are a 🇵🇰/🇧🇩 Hindu who fled to India illegally b'cos it was too dangerous to lose time going to Islamabad for a passport or Indian visa while your daughter risked getting kidnapped, raped & converted, or if you fled your home in Bangladesh while jihadists burned it down, and that happened to be after 2014, then you are SOL

The ideal situation would be having NO cutoff date. As it is, the delay in getting this law ratified since 2019 means that someone who's been here since 2015 will not get fast-tracked, despite waiting 9 years

devashree_h thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vr15h

However, the CAA has a cutoff limit of December 31st, 2014. In other words, if you are a 🇵🇰/🇧🇩 Hindu who fled to India illegally b'cos it was too dangerous to lose time going to Islamabad for a passport or Indian visa while your daughter risked getting kidnapped, raped & converted, or if you fled your home in Bangladesh while jihadists burned it down, and that happened to be after 2014, then you are SOL

The ideal situation would be having NO cutoff date. As it is, the delay in getting this law ratified since 2019 means that someone who's been here since 2015 will not get fast-tracked, despite waiting 9 years

They might have something in mind for that. We don't know what were the considerations for 2014 cutoff.

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

Yes, I understand that the citizenship act (1955) together with the constitution of India governs the Indian nationality law. Since there are no refugee laws in India, illegal immigrants also include asylum seekers and all these are subject to foreigners act, 1946. This is where CAA steps in.

What I was questioning was the"fast track" process. CAA will expedite their process of naturalization as Indian citizens by 5-6 years, compared to other foreign applicants who are eligible to apply for citizenship after a total residency period of twelve years.

Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Yes, I understand that the citizenship act (1955) together with the constitution of India governs the Indian nationality law. Since there are no refugee laws in India, illegal immigrants also include asylum seekers and all these are subject to foreigners act, 1946. This is where CAA steps in.

What I was questioning was the"fast track" process. CAA will expedite their process of naturalization as Indian citizens by 5-6 years, compared to other foreign applicants who are eligible to apply for citizenship after a total residency period of twelve years.

The fast-tracking is useful in terms of the right to buy immovable property. For instance, no foreigner can buy land in India. When someone is going through the naturalization process, the same rule applies. I mentioned in the elections thread how Kashmir's Domicile Law prevents any Indian from buying land in the state w/o a Domicile Certificate, which one can only get after living in the state for 15 years. By contrast, once a foreigner has legally lived in India for 11 years, one can apply for naturalization

It may not be urgent to let those Hindu refugees vote in the next 5 years. But it is cruel to disallow them from buying property for 11 years if they can make the money to afford it

K.Universe. thumbnail

My previous statement that "the demography of people who were subjected to Religious persecution in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh and who have taken asylum in India does not include Muslims." is not completely accurate. There are Ahmadiyya Muslims from Pakistan who have taken refuge in India. Ahmadis are not considered as Muslims either in Pakistan or by certain Waqf boards in India. Should CAA have included this group of asylum seekers is a genuine question. Not being considered as Muslims in the country of their origin does pose technical / legal challenges for any amendment.

K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vr15h

For instance, no foreigner can buy land in India.

Not true, Vrish. Even if I am a foreign national, who is neither an Indian citizen nor a person of Indian origin, I can still purchase or invest in residential or commercial property in India but certain conditions and restrictions apply. Agricultural land in general is off limits but even that has some exceptions built in.

devashree_h thumbnail

Not true, Vrish. Even if I am a foreign national, who is neither an Indian citizen nor a person of Indian origin, I can still purchase or invest in residential or commercial property in India but certain conditions and restrictions apply. Agricultural land in general is off limits but even that has some exceptions built in.

I am so surprised to know you are not PIO. All your thoughts match Indians, very much.

About Ahmadiya Muslims, they were at the forefront of the creation of Pakistan. Individually, may be they can get Indian citizenship, but as a group, India won't consider them for asylum. We don't take refugees, but we do have certain responsibilities towards subcontinental Dharmic minorities, we possibly being the only ones who can give them semblance of dignity.

As for others, I don't think AMs would seek Indian citizenship. They would much rather go to some Western nation.

95027 thumbnail

Yes. There are some restrictions as there should be. People are picking on issues that are really small. And that’s fine too as it leads to considerations of issues eventually that might not be ho great priority. Sab kuch ek din mein naheen hoga.

Also OCI helps - no ? And they have even have improved tax laws for Indian returning. All steps forward IMHO.