Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 9 months ago

Many reasons.

She really wasn’t a good actress. Fabulous dancer but weak actress. Her comedic or angry or even happy scenes were so over the top and exaggerated. They might have worked in the 90s but Bollywood has changed a lot.

She got married and moved to Delhi and stayed away for a good 6-7 years. And then 2-3 years after that were all about her divorce settlement.

Some of it might also be by choice. She’s not gonna be cast as a love interest opposite today’s actors and she probably doesn’t want to play anyone’s mother, and she shouldn’t. She’s way too young for that. There were also strong rumors of her getting married to some Mumbai industrialist for a while. I don’t even know if they’re together now or not.

As others have said she does not have the connections that Raveena or Rani or Kajol have so she’s probably not getting strong female centric roles, and once again, doesn’t want to play someone’s mother.

And after all this, there was probably some bad luck too.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Her big issue was that she was told by family and the industry to gradually phase out. She was now married and they wanted her to vacate her spot in the industry so her sister could be launched. This mentality that actresses needed to retire after getting married was the common notion back then and what occurred to most of her contemporaries too so it wasn't just Karishma.

I think her career would have been fine and lasted longer had it not been for these two things. She also came to the point where box office success was not as important to her as critical success hence films like Fiza, Zubeidaa, and Shakti: The Power. The former was still a hit I believe but the latter two did not do well at the box office but they are considered some of her best performances. I'm sure she would have continued to act alongside SRK and Salman (maybe not Aamir since after Rangeela and Raja Hindustani, he started to avoid films where the heroine could overshadow him) had she kept her career up.

The other issue was that it wasn't just Karishma who was retiring but all her contemporaries. Sridevi, Madhuri, Juhi, Kajol, Raveena, etc. all settled down to have families. Urmila and Shilpa were the only ones from the 90s who were still going strong. Juhi is another sad case because she did want to keep working as a leading actress so retirement was not because she got married and had kids. Her issue was that her films started doing badly especially the flop of Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani. That flop more or less ended her career as a leading lady but you can tell she still wanted to act since she kept producing films with SRK and taking supporting roles. The funny thing is if you watch her in Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani or One 2 Ka 4, she still looks so young, fresh, and vibrant that even actresses much younger than her seem to pale in comparison to her. But because she had been working for over a decade, audiences had mentally aged her off the screen.

Shilpa had that problem as well since she had been working since the early 90s but she didn't really reach leading lady status until 2000's Dhadkan. That more or less kept her relevant and able to continue a career when her contemporaries were all settling down. Urmila was probably saved because she had RGV, carved her own niche in the industry, and didn't get married or have kids like her contemporaries.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Briaahna

bahurani put a dent, took over with HDDCS

This is also true, there was a lot of gossip back then about how Karishma was very annoyed that during the late 90s, when either her or Kajol were the top heroine in all the films, Aishwarya had suddenly debuted with a lot of fanfare and was taking over with Taal and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Karishma had the biggest hits in 1999 but Aishwarya is the one most associated with that year for her two films (and Taal was the number 1 movie overseas). There was double hatred for Aish because she was posing a threat not only to Karishma but also to Bebo's launch and Bebo desperately wanted Devdas, coming to audition in full costume and jewelry. Both sisters were known to openly celebrate Aish's downfall come 2003 and made taunts about how she was a hazard on the set because of Salman's drunken antics.

AamirKingKhan thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Once kareena came on the scene, karisma became irrelevant

Briaahna thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

This is also true, there was a lot of gossip back then about how Karishma was very annoyed that during the late 90s, when either her or Kajol were the top heroine in all the films, Aishwarya had suddenly debuted with a lot of fanfare and was taking over with Taal and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Karishma had the biggest hits in 1999 but Aishwarya is the one most associated with that year for her two films (and Taal was the number 1 movie overseas). There was double hatred for Aish because she was posing a threat not only to Karishma but also to Bebo's launch and Bebo desperately wanted Devdas, coming to audition in full costume and jewelry. Both sisters were known to openly celebrate Aish's downfall come 2003 and made taunts about how she was a hazard on the set because of Salman's drunken antics.

if Katrina wasn't enough, bahurani put a huge dent on both kapoor sisters. kareena's arrogance didn't help either. tho she is the better actor among these 4smiley36
982283 thumbnail

Karisma was never a great actress anyway! And she was more of a mixture of cute, hot, and attractive. I wouldn't say pretty. It is why it took her so long to get to the top. And it was harder to maintain herself there.

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Karishma went through a lot, i mean A LOT. I also feel she was never a confident person. Govinda helped her that you have the talent and skills to become number one actress. But she never believed in herself. Not sure if Babita was selfish or fearful for her daughter happiness that she broke her daughter engagement. Did Lolo went through emotional abuse? And then she married to someone who made her go through so much. I feel for her and wish she had a fairytale wedding where she lived happily ever after but she didn't.

In the beginning she chose all the movies that come her way, but she was amazing in Raja Hindustani and Dil to Pagal Hai, she was very good in fiza too. But when Kareena entered Bollywood she took a big break and signed a very bad script. It is not that audience or makers rejected her, she refuse to work or even sign movies. And she working in TV? I had no idea about this. She shouldn't had stopped working.

w4always thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

She has a movie with Sara Ali Khan I think - directed by Hom Adajania. Kajol has AD backing, so not comparable. I feel like she can do well in OTT - like Raveena, wonder why she doesnt explore that more.

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 8

I do want to say, those saying Karishma isn’t a good actress…. my god…. What you must think of Sara, Ananya and even Alia then smiley36

I’d rather watch DTPH or Fiza than anything Alia has done

Edited by Shaitan-Haiwan - 9 months ago
Beautyful_Mess thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Mixture of few things is why she wasn’t on top for long biggest being until she rose to the top she choice mostly comedy films where she was nothing but a flowerpot so it took her a while to get there. People can claim she was a “bad” actress that’s why all they want it doesn’t mean that’s true but then I’m talking to the forum that believes Deepika is a bad actress and Alia is the best since the slice bread so I shouldn’t be taking any of it seriously. Let’s just say it was few things together that led to her downfall if we can call it that and no Sonali or Raveena is more relevant today just cause one is working doesn’t make them relevant we all have moved on from the 90s actresses (except for few lucky ones) and that’s the fact of the matter. Also, things are more different and a lot easier for the actresses today than they were back then so let’s not forget that. Btw I like Raveena and I LOVE Sonali so no digs on them I’m just responding to what is said in the topic which just is NOT true.