Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1123225 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: kankabhor

I dont know which NBC tweet are you talking about. I am talking baout a man on BBC who said he can't believe this is happening to people with blue eyes and blonde hair. The only logical conclusion is that he is okay with this happening to whoever dont have blue eyes and blonde hair. So it is Racism.

No, you got entire civilization defintion wrong. Basic equal rights, freedom, are traits of modern democratic societies but are not fundamental to the defintion of Civilization. Ancient mesopotemia was civilization, Egypt was civilization, Greek civilization where sex slavery was prominent and women did not have rights to vote either. By your logic everyone will come up with explaination keeping their society as norm and call others uncivilized. No, doesnt happen like that.

Coming back to that racis man's comment- 90% of population don't have blue eyes and blonde hair. So he feels okay with them being killed? I pointed out Afganistan, Yemen only because these are current conflict zones and irrespective of that this man is pure racist.

The post you quoted was about a tweet from an NBC executive who asked for Russians to be basically expelled from the U.S. The Twitter user who shared it said it was racist.

Since you quoted it, I assumed you read it and were adding to it with the other quote about blond and blue-eyed.

Which made zero sense to me because Russians are also (mostly) white. Equating them with actual POC (or non blond and blue-eyed ) seemed like intentional blurring of material facts.

I'm guessing you didn't read the tweet. That had to be made by a Putin bot if he/she believed it was racist to do that to Russians. It's illegal and immoral certainly, but not racist.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
moonv thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

There's no easy answer to this. Self reliance is the best policy, but that's long term.

All India can do at this point is say we don't approve of war, hope diplomacy succeeds, etc. etc.

But that's realpolitik. Morally speaking, support of expansionist policies in this day and age is wrong no matter who does it, friend or enemy.

India is busy fighting within its own people. Every state wants its own rights and identity. This is a long time issue and now add another problem of religion which was dormant since many years.

kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

The post you quoted was about a tweet from an NBC executive who asked for Russians to be basically expelled from the U.S. The Twitter user who shared it said it was racist.

Since you quoted it, I assumed you read it and were adding to it with the other quote about blond and blue-eyed.

Which made zero sense to me because Russians are also (mostly) white. Equating them with actual POC (or non blond and blue-eyed ) seemed like intentional blurring of material facts.

I'm guessing you didn't read the tweet. That had to be made by a Putin bot if he/she believed it was racist to do that to Russians. It's illegal and immoral certainly, but not racist.

I did not read the tweet. I believed the person who tagged me was asking my views on the video instead of above tweets. So my apologies.

Yes, it is illegal and immoral. Deiscrimination against Russian students is wrong. Honestly, it can be racist as well if you use new defintion of thinking race as something like ethnicity. The terms like caucasian, whites etc are from obselete racial classifiction and are being critisized.

Edited by kankabhor - 2 years ago
1123225 thumbnail

Originally posted by: kankabhor

I dont know which NBC tweet are you talking about. I am talking baout a man on BBC who said he can't believe this is happening to people with blue eyes and blonde hair. The only logical conclusion is that he is okay with this happening to whoever dont have blue eyes and blonde hair. So it is Racism.

No, you got entire civilization defintion wrong. Basic equal rights, freedom, are traits of modern democratic societies but are not fundamental to the defintion of Civilization. Ancient mesopotemia was civilization, Egypt was civilization, Greek civilization where sex slavery was prominent and women did not have rights to vote either. By your logic everyone will come up with explaination keeping their society as norm and call others uncivilized. No, doesnt happen like that.

Coming back to that racis man's comment- 80% of population don't have blue eyes and blonde hair. So he feels okay with them being killed? I pointed out Afganistan, Yemen only because these are current conflict zones and irrespective of that this man is pure racist.

BTW, anthropologists disagree on definition of civilization as well.

Civilization can be defined by the era as well, but this is 2021. For a society to be called civilized in the here and now, it has to meet certain criteria. This non anthropologist includes certain basic rights, at least on paper, among such criteria. Because it at least shows awareness of what is morally and ethically right.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

BTW, anthropologists disagree on definition of civilization as well.

Civilization can be defined by the era as well, but this is 2021. For a society to be called civilized in the here and now, it has to meet certain criteria. This non anthropologist includes certain basic rights, at least on paper, among such criteria. Because it at least shows awareness of what is morally and ethically right.

Yes, Aware of diagreements but one can go by majority view of historians, anthropologist.

But if we go deep into this, it becomes very philosophical as it will just come to defintion of what is ethically right and wrong, who decides it? Who decide the critera? Do we take vote of 7 billion people? Now some countries have agreed on giving women equal rights, but not to LGBT people? Then where do we draw line? It is mcuh complex thats why in such cases, I prefer to stick to primary defintions.

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail

Vir Das is so unfunny and always strikes me as try hard. So much other Indian talent but it’s this guy always in the limelight somehow. On the topic of war/Twitter, we really have to stop talking about fringe groups as if they represent the majority. Same way people love making a topic about one single troll comment and dragging it for pages on end. SMH.

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Are they sure they don’t mean I am sorry I am not your nepo mother?

janakai thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

I once had an online argument with a standup comedian (a popular english comedian) about his skit in which he made fun of the Autistic kids. He just told me off saying I need to develop a sense of humor because it was all in good fun. My point was we as a society cannot and should be very careful in putting out the content that can effect those who have no voice of their own and are already compromised. But anyway, my problem with this particular ‘joke’ is that it reeks of misogyny and furthers the age old belief that it’s women who are responsible for what the sons do because they failed in giving them a good upbringing.

i agree with you. One should not make fun of the disabled. But in this post he hasnt done any of it. I don't know about its past work. May be he has. I am not saying i agree with everything he says. But mostly what he says is intelligent and sensible. He doesn't talk out of his ass like kangana etc. I didn't find misogyny in this post. I think he just made fun of some silly customs that indian moms follow. Pretty sure indian girls relate to it as well.

AB_RB thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

People never believed in equality, I guess.

They always want to one up each other, divide themselves by anything or everything and finally expect to live in superiority but

EQUALITY is the law of nature. Every action have equal reaction.