Pakistani Serials Nowadays

SandySlays thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I am an Indian viewer here and I was introduced to Pakistani serials with the launch of Zindagi Channel in India in 2014. Pakistani serials used to be praised a lot for the following reasons-

1. Unlike Indian serials which celebrate 10 year anniversaries/2000+ episodes, Pakistani episodes used to end in maximum 20-25 episodes and the storyline used to be very crisp.
  2. While Indian serials started showing naagins and death and rebirth, Pakistani dramas used to focus on the lives of the lower middle class and even serious themes such as child sexual abuse.
  3. The acting used to be very subtle and all the characters used to be in minimal makeup and simple clothes suitable for their characters unlike Indian serials where women sleep in heavy jewellery, makeup and sarees.

However, nowadays what I am observing is that most serials get dragged and have a minimum of 50-60 episodes. In fact there are even some 100 episode serials. The acting has also become very loud and the characters are no longer grey- they are either too good to be true or proper vamps who enter with Komolika background music. Those actors who are supposed to play the roles of simple students have also started wearing flashy clothes and perfect makeup.

I want to know how this trend started. Is it because Pakistani producers are inspired by Indian serials or are aesthetics now being given more importance over the storyline? I would be glad if somebody could tell me.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Arshi1195 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6

It is unfortunate that shows have started following similar formulas because they want trps. These trends are everywhere because they want views and money. I also hate how celebrities also defend playing super stupid and over the top characters on screen by saying "aise log hote hai society main" As if the audience has to see those toxic characters in every show.

Hopefully with the success of shows like Parizaad, more people will invest in writing quality shows.

If you want any recommendations, there have been a few really good shows in the past year that have come out, such as;

Raqeeb Se

Dil Na Umeed toh Nahi

Alif

Parizaad (still on air)

Edited by Arshi1195 - 2 years ago
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

It's just that when an industry is producing 250+ dramas a year and everyday 7 pm to 10 pm slots has to be filled with dramas for multiple channels simultaneously throughout the year

Yes quality is the first thing to be compromised

I also started watching pak dramas from 2013 when Fawad did Khoobsurat and then watched all dramas showed in Zindagi channel till it was taken off air

And of course there is YouTube

There had been some positive changes as well like the production values of the present shows are excellent.....they are using better cameras and even drones and hence the cinematography is WOW now a days

The sets are more lavish....there are outdoor shoots as well.....

The producers are investing more and there are many new producers as well.....

Quality work is still there in every year in every channel even though the % is low

After seeing legendary actors actresses from 2010 to 2015 dramas

There is a new surge of new actors and actresses who are not only smart and sophisticated but we'll educated as well and have come from good family backgrounds which was unimaginable even 10 years back

The new gen actor actresses are equally good in the craft and also conducting themselves offline and on social media

I love the fact that the heroines do put on some make up and the bridal get ups are more gorgeous now enhancing their screen presence and I didn't find any over the top komolika make up in the dramas I saw till now

The costumes are also lavish now.....posters are also being made

And the audience base has increased tremendously globally

In the middle years there was indeed a fall in quality

But since last 2 years...2019 onwards I m again seeing good work ....more variety of work

Of course the family dramas will always have an audience and it will always be there but I m looking forward to the diversity which is finally starting after a few different shows became hits last 2 years

azaanabbas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I would suggest avoiding dramas of 7 PM/9PM slots cause they run for much longer. Mere apne, wafa bayanmol, banno, etc are going to run at least 60+ so it's best to avoid.

I'd suggest these newer dramas that are much better than most shows on air right now and won't run for ages:
Laapata
Hum Kahan Ke Sachy Thay
Parizaad
Dil Na Umeed Toh Nahin
Aakhir Kab Tak

Do watch quality based drama. Yeah they are less in number but still good quality dramas are there.

Don't watch 7 or 9 PM soaps as they are long and dragged. As they are based on quantity not quality

Edited by _NINA_ - 2 years ago
SandySlays thumbnail

Since I watch the shows on Youtube, I didn't know that it all boils down the prime time slot. While I did find 'Hum Kaha ke Sachay The' a tad bit depressing, it is still more realistic and 'Laapata' is nice. I also liked 'Chupke Chupke'. Ayza Khan is doing some good work and I also find Asma Abbas to be very natural.

ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

9 pm shows are not always bad

I haven't watched any 7 pm show till now though

And I prefer if all good shows are not clogged at 8 pm in every channel everyday

That way many shows don't get deserved trps

It would have been better if some good shows are also placed at 9 pm

And I prefer bi weekly airing than just 1 epi a wk or daily

azaanabbas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ABBY_JERAN

9 pm shows are not always bad

I haven't watched any 7 pm show till now though

And I prefer if all good shows are not clogged at 8 pm in every channel everyday

That way many shows don't get deserved trps

It would have been better if some good shows are also placed at 9 pm

And I prefer bi weekly airing than just 1 epi a wk or daily

I used to watch 7pm dramas like Sanwari , log kya kehngay, piya naam ka diya, quite entertaining shows but now it seems like 7pm is only watta satta or rhona dhona.. such as right now there is mere apne and wafa bemol and banno

9PM shows have gotten super drag in last 1+ years. Fitrat mohlat rang mahal all shows with strong concepts turned horrible because of rewinding and dragging in order to fit the daily soap slot. im yet to see a good show from hum @9pm since malal-e-yaar ended. and currently ary's main hari piya is a joke

I dont mind 9pm shows especially biweekly but its time channels understand that just because it's not at 8pm dosent mean ke jo bhi mann mein aaye bana do

awida thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail + 7

Romantic Reveries

What an interesting discussion!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Can I suggest you avoid GEO dramas?๐Ÿ˜† They are super dragged with flashbacks, repeated scenes, and slow motion scenes. Hum is the best when it comes to variety and quality .. ARY's dramas used to end faster because of double episodes , and their actors look their best , so are the pairings.. Now there are many illogical dramas, but they don't last forever , and they are good entertainers for those who are looking for some masala. So Pakistani dramas please their viewers by cpnsidering the different tastes .. I am happy , coz Comedy is back.. Horror is still poor , but they are at least trying this gener.. Saas bahu dramas have their audience.. So I am not complaining.. In fact I am struggling to find time to watch all my fav Pakistani dramas , coz there are many .๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Originally posted by: awida

What an interesting discussion!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Can I suggest you avoid GEO dramas?๐Ÿ˜† They are super dragged with flashbacks, repeated scenes, and slow motion scenes. Hum is the best when it comes to variety and quality .. ARY's dramas used to end faster because of double episodes , and their actors look their best , so are the pairings.. Now there are many illogical dramas, but they don't last forever , and they are good entertainers for those who are looking for some masala. So Pakistani dramas please their viewers by cpnsidering the different tastes .. I am happy , coz Comedy is back.. Horror is still poor , but they are at least trying this gener.. Saas bahu dramas have their audience.. So I am not complaining.. In fact I am struggling to find time to watch all my fav Pakistani dramas , coz there are many .๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yeah there is huge range of dramas. There are dramas with 50+ episodes, 100+ episodes and few have just 20-25 episodes as well. The story has range as well. Few have emotions, few have drama, few have family politics, few have love triangles, few have marriages, divorces, love stories etc