Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Absolutely amazing updates - your writing is outstanding 

And your version of YHM is out of this world!!!!!

I just cannot miss even one episode!!!

You handled the court case brilliantly - even I watch law and order and you captured the scenes beautifully - very emotional!!!πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜­

The tension could be felt - Ishra's, Shagun's and best of all Adi'sπŸ₯Ί

Adi's final decision made me cry !!😭

Loved the way he sat between Ishra to bask in their warmth for the final time  - Your description of the emotional scene was wow!!!

Even the judge got affected!!

The final verdict was the icing on the cake!!πŸ€—

Your version of Shagun's past was in a way very sad - made me feel very sorry for her and also made me almost understand why she was the way she was!  I felt that if her mother did not have to struggle hard then she would not have been harsh with Shagun and praised Mihir which in turn would not have made Shagun be jealous of Mihir and so this was the reason why she felt that money was the answer to all problems!!!

Then Adi finding out about Ruhi - OMG he was totally devastated and heartbroken and felt so betrayed!!!πŸ₯ΊπŸ’”πŸ˜­

Absolutely brilliant how you handled the whole situation - how Raman and Ishita answered all his questions as honestly as they could and the way they supported him and how he slept with them cuddling them and I loved how Ishita kissed his forehead (taking the risk)!!!

And of course our little Ruhi just stole the show when she consoled and hugged Adi mmmmmuuuaaahhhh!!!! Little Ruhi - my absolute favourite!!!!β€οΈπŸ€—

In so much emotion you brought some humour - some comedy with Vandu and Bala fabulous - including some interrupted romance of Ishra and MiMi!!!! πŸ€£πŸ‘

Ishra to go on honeymoon to Chennai - now that will be excellent!!!

The scene at the therapist's office explained everything to Adi so beautifully!!

I am assuming you are a Harry Potter fan!!

The way Shagun had raised him and the way she had manipulated him - made him think that everything had a price  - he felt he had to pay back the love he was getting from Ishita😭 It was difficult for him to understand that a stepmother can love him unconditionally - even when Raman had tried to explain to him that Ishita loved him just like she loved Ruhi - he was totally shocked!!

It was great the way Zoya explained and finally made him realised and to accept the love he was being showered as his right!!!

And finally the way Adi called Ishita as "Ishima"!!!! Awesome!!!

The last scene in the kitchen/dinning room - wah kya baat hai!!!!!πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Again I am being very greedy - next update please please please !!!!!!!!!☺️☺️

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nafnaf

Absolutely amazing updates - your writing is outstanding 

And your version of YHM is out of this world!!!!!

I just cannot miss even one episode!!!

Thank you so much!! I'm so happy that you like my writing so much!

You handled the court case brilliantly - even I watch law and order and you captured the scenes beautifully - very emotional!!!πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜­

Yes! Another Law and Order fan!! I'm so glad you liked it. 

Your version of Shagun's past was in a way very sad - made me feel very sorry for her and also made me almost understand why she was the way she was!  I felt that if her mother did not have to struggle hard then she would not have been harsh with Shagun and praised Mihir which in turn would not have made Shagun be jealous of Mihir and so this was the reason why she felt that money was the answer to all problems!!!

Yes absolutely! πŸ‘ This is exactly what I was going for when I wrote Shagun's backstory. Not everyone is born evil. Shagun's character had real potential to be a true grey character.

The scene at the therapist's office explained everything to Adi so beautifully!!

I am assuming you are a Harry Potter fan!!

Yes! I LOOOOOVVVEEE Harry Potter! It's technically a children's book but there are so many layers to all the characters and relationships!  And it'll forever be a part of my childhood!!!

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Keep it coming dear! I love reading it!! πŸ€—β€οΈ

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 60

Bhalla House – a few days later, Tuesday August 7th, 7:30 am

"Ruhi, jaldi apne shoes pehno," Ishita instructed. "Aapki choti ban gayi hai." She tied the rubber band at the end of the braid and stood up from the sofa.

"Mumma, this is the wrong color rubber band! Mujhe green nahi, purple wali chahiye!" Ruhi whined.

"Aaj ke liye yeh thik hai, Ru. Abhi time nahi hai rubberband change karne ka. Warna school ke pehle din aap log late ho jaaoge." Ishita opened her purse and took out her car keys.

"Dad, are our lunch boxes ready?" Adi asked, as he walked out in his school uniform. 

"Haan beta," Raman snapped their lunch boxes shut and dashed out of the kitchen. "Yeh tumhara..." He handed one box to Adi. "Aur yeh Ruhi ka." He deposited the other box into his daughter's backpack and zipped it closed. 

"All right, let's go!" Ishita slipped on her sandals as Adi and Ruhi shouldered their backpacks. "Raman, main in dono ko school chod kar seedhe clinic chali jaaungi."

"Okay. Bye guys!" He waved his wife and children goodbye. "Have a great day!"

"Bye papa!"

Raman breathed a long sigh of relief once everyone was out the door. The first day of school always meant chaos. He jogged back to his bedroom to get dressed for office.

Meanwhile, Ishita drove her kids to school.

"Dekho Ru," Ishita met her daughter's eyes in the rear view mirror. "Class mein zyada baatein mat karna. Teacher jo sikhaaye uspe dhyaan dena. Warna aap friends ke saath baatein karte rahoge aur lesson miss kardoge."

"Okay mumma."

"Aur Adi," She turned her attention to her son. "Try making some new friends, okay? Sirf books mein mat khoye rehna."

"Yes Ishimaa."

She maneuvered the car into the parking lot of their school and parked her car. 

"Have a great first day at school, kids!" she beamed. 

"Bye Ishimaa!" 

"Love you!"

Adi and Ruhi climbed out of the car and slung their backpacks over their shoulder. As they hopped off, Ishita caught a flash of a screen in Adi's pocket.

"Adi ek minute, come here," Ishita called. 

He jogged back and peeked in through the open window. "What's up Ishimaa?"

"Yeh aapke pocket mein kya hai?"

"It's my phone." He removed his phone from his pocket and waved it around.

"Lao, mujhe do." She put forth her palm and bent her fingers. 

"Kyun?"

"Aap school mein phone lekar nahin jaa sakte."

"Mom ne toh aaj tak-" Adi bit his tongue before he could even finish his sentence.

But Ishita was unfazed. "I know aaj tak aap ko kisine nahi roka hoga. Lekin aap phone lekar school mein jao, yeh sahi nahin hai. Vacation mein maine kuch nahin kaha, lekin ab school shuru ho gaya hai toh thoda discipline rakhna padega. Phone do idhar."

"Nahin Ishimaa... Main phone ko switch off karke rakhunga. I promise!"

"Adi, kam se kam aaj ke din ke liye mujhe de do. Phir shaam ko papa se discuss karenge, phir decide karenge. Come on now. Give me your phone."

Adi groaned. He dropped his phone onto his mother's palm, a frown marring his lips. Ishita quickly stowed it away in the glove compartment. 

"Now have a good day at school. I'll see you in the evening," she said. 

"Yeah whatever..." Adi muttered. 

"Bye! Love you, beta!"

"Love you too Ishimaa," he replied hesitantly.

He waved his mother goodbye and walked off to his classroom. After one last glance at her kids' retreating figures, Ishita left for her clinic.

.....................................................................................................................

Arch Sports Field – later that day, 5:30 pm

Raman watched from the bench as Adi and his teammates ran through grueling athletic drills. Being on the regional football team meant double work and harder practice.

Practice ended half an hour later, and a sweaty, flushed Adi walked over to his father, chugging cold water from his water bottle.

"Kaisa raha practice?" Raman asked, patting his son's back as he sat down beside him.

"Thik tha. It's still going to take a while for us to find our groove. Nayi team hai na, isiliye," Adi replied.

He closed his water bottle and set it down on the bench. 

"Dad, is Ishimaa here? Mujhe mera phone chahiye tha. Sab team members ke numbers lene hai," he implored.

"Woh Ruhi ke saath uski dance class gayi hai. Tera phone mere paas hai." Raman dug a hand into his inner coat pocket and revealed Adi's phone. "Usne jaane se pehle mujhe de diya tha."

Adi delightedly snatched his phone from his father and jumped up. 

"Go get everyone's numbers for now. But when you come back, we need to talk about this phone, okay?" Raman instructed.

"Okay!" Adi yelled back even as he ran off to the rest of his team.

Raman chuckled at his boy's excitement. He had initially been wary of his bookish nature, but he was happy to see him making new friends. 

Even so, the use of his phone needed to be curbed. Ishita had confiscated it this morning, leading to a lengthy phone conversation with him over their lunch break. 

Flashback

"Raman, he's just too young. He shouldn't even have a phone." Ishita set her phone on speaker mode and unwrapped her vegetable rolls. "Jab Adi aaya tha tab maine kuch nahin kaha kyunki uska vacation tha. Aur Shagun ne already use phone de diya tha, jo hum cheen nahi sakte the. Lekin ab school shuru ho gayi hai. Agar uska dyaan phone mein raha toh uski padhaai disturb ho jaayegi."

"Tum toh aise bol rahi ho jaise woh ghanto tak apne phone pe baitha rehta hai. Zyada se zyada apne doston se hi toh baat karta hai?" Raman balanced his phone between his ear and shoulder and opened his tiffin box. "Aur phone koi buri cheez thodi hai? Maan lo agar use ya Ruhi ko kabhi humein contact karne ki zaroorat padi then they can call us from his phone."

"Lekin aaj kal phone zaroorat kam, distraction zyada ban gaya hai. Khaas kar ke bacchon ke liye. Without meaning to, he'll get pulled into social media and stuff." She dipped a spring roll in a plastic vial of peanut sauce and took a bite.

"Then what do you suggest? We can't just snatch his phone away." Raman tore off a piece of paratha and gobbled it up with a hearty helping of butter chicken. 

"I know that. But we can at least limit his phone use. If he's going to take his phone to school, then it has to remain switched off. The only time he uses it is when he has an emergency. And no social media. No internet use."

"I agree with the rule of switching his phone off at school. We don't want it interfering with his studies. But why no internet? And how do we even control it?"

"Simple. We check his phone from time to time. His browsing history, text messages, app store, everything."

"No yaar." Raman switched his phone from his right ear to his left hand. "We can't do that. He deserves his privacy."

"I have no intention of invading his privacy, Raman." Ishita picked up another spring roll and dipped it in peanut sauce. "But aren't we supposed to control what he sees and does on social media?"

"Don't you trust him? Adi isn't going to do anything wrong or illegal."

"It's not about trust. I know he wouldn't do anything wrong on purpose. But the internet and social media can be a dangerous place. And he's a small boy. He's just too young to know how to navigate it properly. One mistake could ruin his life, his career. Because the internet is forever. Anything that goes on social media never comes off."

Their discussion had lasted throughout their lunch, with much push and pull. Eventually however, they had arrived on a common ground.

Flashback ends

Adi gallopped back to the bench where his father sat, scrolling through his contacts list, proud of how many new friends he had made. 

"Look dad! I made seven new friends today!" He flashed the screen in front of Raman's eyes. 

"That's great beta." Raman ruffled Adi's hair, as he sat down. "Can you put the phone away for a bit though? We need to talk."

Oh yeah, Adi thought. Dad had mentioned this. He pocketed his phone and faced his father.

"Look Adi," Raman began. "Ishimaa and I think you were given a phone too early. But since you already have one, we're not going to take it away. Instead, we're going to teach you how to use it properly. See beta, a phone can either be a great tool or a bad distraction. It all depends on how we use it."

Adi listened intently.

"So-" Raman continued, "-we need to lay some ground rules. First of all, when you're at school, this phone has to be switched off, okay? You use it only when you or Ruhi need to contact us urgently. Deal?"

Adi nodded. 

"Second thing. Zero social media. You can't be using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, whatever. When you're old enough then we'll talk about it. But until then, no social media. Nothing that puts your profile in public. Okay?"

He nodded again. "Okay papa."

"And third thing. Ishimaa and I will check your phone sometimes. Just the home screen to check which apps you're using. We won't read your private messages or your call logs or such. But we want to make sure you're not unknowingly using any wrong apps, okay?"

"Which apps are okay then?" Adi asked.

"The phone and messages apps are fine. Other apps like the calculator, camera, alarm clock are okay. Basically apps that are already installed in the phone are fine. And you can have one or two games. But not more. Sounds good?"

"Yeah."

"You understand why we're doing this, right Adi? We don't want to curb your freedom but the internet can be a dangerous place... and we want to protect you."

"I get it, dad." Adi smiled. "Besides, it's not like I really use my phone that much anyway. The only messages I get are either on the family group chat or memes from my friends."

"Good." Raman ruffled Adi's hair and patted him on the back. 

Just then, the jingling of bharatanatyam anklets sounded behind them and their heads turned towards the parking lot. Ruhi was climbing into the backseat of their car, her dupatta bunched up around her waist. Ishita met their eyes and beckoned them.

"Chalo, let's go home," Raman said. 

Adi shouldered his backpack and collected his water bottle before standing up and following his father to their car. And just like that, the family of four headed home.

.....................................................................................................................

Nitya Pravah Dance Studio – a few days later, Friday, August 17th, 5 pm

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen!" The ballet instructor's voice boomed from the speakers. She adjusted the mike and spoke, "Nitya Pravah Dance would like to welcome all of you to our annual ballet showcase!"

Applause broke out amongst the audience. 

"This year, our students of ages 6 to 13 are performing their own rendition of the famous ballet, Swan Lake by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. The cast includes 12-year old Juhi as Princess Odette, 13-year old Rahul as Prince Siegfried, 11-year old Viraj as Baron Rothbart, 10-year old Poonam as Odile, and, first graders Mansi, Arpita, Niyati, and Ruhi as various characters."

It was a good thing Ruhi's name was taken last, since at that exact moment, half the audience went wild with applause and cheers. Specifically, it was the Bhalla and Iyer clan that went wild. 

Everyone had shown up for Ruhi's first official dance recital, despite her role being a minor one. Ishita, Raman, and Adi sat in the first row, clapping and cheering Ruhi's name. Toshi, Omprakash, and Romi whistled at the top of their lungs. Even Madhu, Vishwa, and Mihika cheered until their voices turned hoarse.

"So please put your hands together for Nitya Pravah's Swan Lake!" 

After one last round of thunderous applause, the lights dimmed on the stage and the first act began. As the audience died down, one last member of the family quiet ran into the studio and slipped beside Ishita on an empty chair.

"Main late toh nahi hui na, bhabhi?" Rinki asked. 

"Nahi Rinki, you're right on time. First act bas abhi shuru ho raha hai," Ishita replied. 

"Oh thank god," she sighed. "Agar maine Ruhi ki first performance miss kar di hoti, toh woh mujhe kaccha chaabi jaati. Uska role kya hai waise? Main princess ka?"

"Nahi nahi, uske liye toh woh abhi bahot choti hai. Woh aur uske friends to bas minor characters aur background dancers hai. They're just gonna do some steps simple enough for first graders."

"Oh I see."

Everyone watched intently as the modified story of the classical ballet unfolded on stage with classical music drifting through the speakers. Gasps sounded when Princess Odette was cursed to turn into a swan by the evil Rothbart. A series of 'awwws' broke out at the sweet love story unfolding between the prince and princess. Cheers and hoots erupted when Prince Seigfried finally defeated Rothbart and broke the curse on Odette.

During each act, Ruhi and her friends danced gracefully around the main scene, performing as various characters ranging from elegant swan maidens to simple village folk. Thanks to her height, Ruhi was at front-stage for more than one of her performances, much to her family's delight. Her pink tutu and leotard fluttered as she danced, her face shining with joy and pride and a hint of nervousness.

Raman held his phone out and recorded his daughter's every step, while Toshi whistled every time she came on stage.

"Dadi, enough!" Adi had whispered to her in the middle of the second act. "Sab log humein hi dekh rahe hai. Kitna embarrassing lagta hai!" he complained.

"Kise, tujhe ya Ruhi ko?" Toshi had asked with narrow eyes. 

"Dono ko. Mere match mein bhi aap humesha seetiyaan bajaati hai aur chillati hai."

"Toh kyun na chillau? Mere baccho ke liye toh main humesha cheer karungi. Main te tere papa, chachu aur bua ke liye bhi karti thi-"

"Oh bas karo Toshiji," Omprakash had then intervened. "Adi, tu bhi seedha baith ja puttar. Sab log chup chaap performance dekho."

Thankfully, relative silence was maintained throughout the rest of the show. It wasn't until the end of the show, when all the performers came on stage for one final bow, that roars of unending applause erupted. 

As the lights dimmed, each performer stepped of the stage and ran to their family.

"Ruhi!" Ishita bent down and hugged her daughter, dropping a hard kiss on her cheek. "I'm so proud of you, baby! Aapne kitna accha perform kiya!"

"Congratulations Ru!" Raman picked up Ruhi next and hugged her to his chest before kissing her other cheek, ignoring her complaints of any pricky stubble. "You did such a great job! It was amazing!"

One by one, every member of her family congratulated her. They then proceeded outside and found a patch of lush green vines and white flowers for a picture session against the orange and pink hues of the sunset. 

"Arpita! Mansi! Niyati! You guys join us too na?" Ruhi beckoned her friends along the way. 

A good half-hour was spent taking pictures of the four dancers. They posed with each other. They posed with their families and siblings. By the end of the photo session, the sun had set and the moon had come up.

"Ab ghar chale?" Ishita asked. 

"Actually Ishita," Mansi's mother interjected, "we were planning on taking Mansi out for dinner to celebrate. Do you guys want to join us? Arpita? Niyati? Do you want to come?"

Ruhi looked up to her parents with a hopeful sparkle in her eye. "Can we go mumma? Please papa?"

After a bit of back and forth, Raman and Ishita agreed to join Ruhi's friends with Adi and Ruhi, as long as they left the restaurant by 9 pm. Meanwhile, the rest of the family headed home. 

Bhalla House, Raman and Ishita's bedroom – a few hours later, 11 pm

"Bacche itni jaldi so gaye?" Ishita asked, looking up from her laptop as Raman came in.

"Yup. As soon as their heads hit the pillow." He slumped down on the couch beside his wife and draped his arm along the backrest of the sofa. "Thak gaye the dono. Pura din school, phir woh dance recital, aur phir dinner ke liye bhi bahar rahe."

Ishita nodded in response and refocused on her attention on her laptop.

"Itni raat ko laptop mein ghus ke kya kar rahi ho?" Raman asked, craning his neck towards the screen.

"Chennai ki tickets ki booking," she replied. 

Immediately, Raman perked up. "Kaun se din ki booking kar rahi ho?"

"Dekhiye." She turned the laptop sideways so her husband could see. "Conference do hafte baad shuru ho raha hai, aur teen din tak rahega. From Friday August 31st to Sunday September 2nd."

"Yeah, that works. That way we can celebrate Adi's birthday before we leave."

"I was thinking the same thing. After the conference, we can stay for two more days and come back on Tuesday or Wednesday. Kaisa rahega?"

"Kya kaisa rahega? Sirf do din ka honeymoon?!" Raman stared at his wife with a slack-jawed expression. "Do din mein kya kar lenge hum?"

Ishita sighed. "Toh phir aap bolo. Kitne din rehna hai?"

"Kam se kam 15 din rukte hai na yaar..."

"15 din!" Ishita shrieked. "Aadha mahina thodi reh sakte hai wahan?! Ruhi-Adi ki school chaalu hai. Aur main bhi apne clinic se itne din ki chutthi nahi le sakti."

"Okay fine. Toh kam se kam ek hafta to ruk sakte hai na? Wednesday ki jagah pe Friday ya Saturday waapis aate hai."

"Lekin-"

"Ab is baat par behes mat karna." He raised a finger in warning. 

"Meri baat toh-"

"Tujhe har baat par argument kyun karna hota hai?!"

"Ek minute!" Ishita pressed a finger to his lips to shut him up. "I'm trying to tell you that there aren't any plane tickets for those days. So why don't we come back on Sunday night instead? That way we'll have an extra day there."

Raman's lips turned up in surprise. He kissed the finger that was on his lips and pulled her hand to his chest. "Have I ever hold you how much I love you?" 

"You have." Ishita smiled. "But you're more than welcome to say it again."

He chuckled and leaned forward to kiss her lips. "I love you madrasan."

"I love you too Raman," she breathed between kisses, running the pad of her thumb along his jaw. 

Abruptly, he pulled back and took a deep breath. "Before we get carried away, you need to book those tickets."

Ten minutes later, their flight and hotel bookings were done. Ishita shut her laptop and set it aside on the table. 

"Now... where were we?" Raman gripped Ishita by the waist and scooched closer. 

"Right here." She curled her fingers around the back of his head and pulled him forward, slanting her lips over his.

He tore her saree away. She popped his shirt buttons open. Gasps and sighs and moans filled the room. They barely made it to the bed before they were joined together in bliss.

Bhalla House – one week later, 4:30 pm

"Happy Birthday Adi!" Ayush and Hardik ran into the living room and playfully tackled their best friend. 

The entire house was decorated with balloons and streamers, and the latest pop music boomed from the portable speaker. The furniture had been moved around to create a makeshift dance floor on which Ruhi, Shravu, Ananya and half of the society's kids were dancing. 

"Both of you! Get off him, right now!" Hardik's dad scolded his son and Ayush as he followed them into the house. "Use chot lag jaayegi." 

Ishita and Raman too came up behind them, concern reflected on their faces.

To their relief however, Adi was laughing when they all stood up. 

"Happy birthday bro!" Ayush patted Adi's back and Hardik bumped his fist. 

"Thanks guys," he replied. "So nice of you to show up for the party. Half an hour late." Adi put special emphasis on the last phrase, crossing his arms against his chest in displeasure.

"That was Hardik's fault!" Ayush cried.

"All because of Ayush!" Hardik spoke up at the same time. 

Adi raised his eyebrows and glared at his friends.

"Beta, the reason we're late is because neither of these could decide on a gift for you," Hardik's dad explained. "Speaking of which, where can I put this?"

He lifted a large box wrapped in blue wrapping paper and looked for where the rest of the gifts were piled up. 

"Here, I'll take it," Ishita offered, taking the gift from his hands. "Raman, why don't you get him a drink until then?"

"Yes of course." Raman turned to their guest. "Let's get you a drink. Then I'll introduce you to everyone."

While the adults chatted over drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, thanks to Ishita's insistence), the kids danced and played games. 

An hour into the party, Ishita brought out the cake and set it on the coffee table in the middle of the living room. It was a decadent moist triple chocolate cake topped with nutella and crushed oreos with the words 'Happy Birthday Adi' written in white cursive letters. 

"Adi! Ruhi! Chalo cake kaatne ke liye!" Ishita called out as she lighted eleven candles on the cake. "Aa jao bacchon!"

The kids gathered around as Ruhi and Adi pushed through to the center of the crowd. They found a spot on either side of Ishita, while Raman pulled out his phone and began recording on his camera app. The adults gathered around them shortly and began singing the birthday song.

"Happy Birthday to you..." 

Adi blew out the candles before he grabbed the knife to cut the cake. Ishita held onto his hand and guided him through the motions, making sure the sharp knife didn't hurt him. Once the first piece was cut, he naturally fed Ruhi the first bite. 

"Ab bhaiya ko bhi cake khilaao," Ishita told her, handing her another piece of cake to feed her brother.

Ruhi extended her arm towards her brother's mouth, who eagerly waited to taste the cake. Being the little hellion she was, Ruhi abruptly changed the trajectory of her hand, smearing chocolate icing on Adi's cheek instead of feeding him the bite. 

"Aiyyo Ruhi chuhi!" Adi screeched, having picked up some of Ishita's day to day vernacular. "Yeh kya kiya tune?!" 

Ruhi simply giggled at her brother's annoynace. In retaliation, Adi swiped some icing from his cheek and smudged it on his sister's face, causing her giggles to subside and frustration to appear on her face. Adi smiled in smug satisfaction.

"Aiyyo! Main tum dono ka kya karu?!" Ishita cried in horror, even as the crowd erupted in laughter. "Naye kapde hai, sab kharaab ho jaayenge!" 

Before either of them could do any further damage, she picked up the cake and handed it to Simi so she could cut it up and serve it to their guests in individual plates. As the crowd dispersed and Raman ended his video recording, Ishita grabbed her kids and took them to the bathroom to get their faces washed. 

"Yeh kya kiya aap dono ne? Aise food item se thodi khelte hai?" she chided them, as she wet a washcloth with warm water from the sink. "Bahar itne saare guests hai... Sab kya sochenge?" 

Ishita wiped their faces with the washcloth until all the sticky chocolate was off. Adi and Ruhi held onto their laughter, exchanging silent giggles. Unfortunately for them, their mother had caught onto their giggles. 

"Tum dono ko abhi bhi masti sujh rahi hai?" she scolded them, as she rinsed the washcloth and wrung it dry in the sink. 

Thankfully, Adi and Ruhi's savior had just walked in to rescue them. 

"Aaj ke din chalta hai Ishita," Raman quipped. "It's Adi's birthday after all."

Ishita hung the washcloth on a hanger and Raman winked to his kids, as she turned her back to him.

"You do realize I can see you in the mirror, right?" she grumbled.

Raman chuckled in response. "Adi, Ruhi, are you guys ready to rejoin the party?" he asked. "Chitti aur bua sab ko cake serve kar rahe hai."

"Yes!"

"Absolutely!"

"Toh phir jao. Go!"

He gave a gentle nudge to his children who ran out the door, eager to rejoin the party. Meanwhile, Ishita turned around to glare at her husband and pressed her lips into a thin line. Raman cleared his throat, finding himself the target of his wife's irritation. 

"Chod na madrasan," he urged. "Bacche hai. Birthday ke din thodi masti kar di toh kya farak padta hai?"

Ishita sighed and shook her head. She knew she was going to give in. But that didn't mean she had to give in so easily. Instead of answering him, she stepped away to leave the bathroom. At that exact moment, she yelped in surprise as she found herself being pulled back by the elbow. Her back crashed against Raman's chest, who kicked the door shut and closed the latch.

"Raman!" Ishita whispered in shock. "Yeh koi waqt hai-"

Before she could finish her question, Raman abruptly turned her around so her back was reflected in the mirror. 

"Look there." He pointed to the mirror and Ishita gasped. The two strings that held the top of her blouse together had almost come undone. 

"M-Mujhe... pata hi nahi tha..." she stammered. 

"Yeah... that's what I thought," Raman said mattter-of-factly. 

Ishita turned to face the mirror and brought her arms around to retie both strings. Before she could reach either string however, Raman swatted her hands away and set them down on the sink. 

"Let me do it."

Raman trailed his finger up her bare spine and Ishita shivered even under his simplest touch. He slowly stepped closer, his hand splaying across her upper back, caressing the soft skin. Ishita sucked in harsh breath when he moved even closer, using his teeth to completely untie the knot that held together the strings of her blouse. 

"Raman..." Ishita squeezed her eyes shut and whimpered, as she felt her blouse loosen. "What are you-"

"Shhh..." Raman kissed the back of her neck. "Just trust me for a minute."

He trailed his hands upwards and slowly retied the strings, even as he rained kisses along her spine and upper back. Ishita clenched the granite of the sink so hard, her knuckles turned white.

"It's done now," he whispered minutes later, leaving a final kiss against her shoulder. 

Her eyelids fluttered open, and they briefly locked eyes in the mirror, breathing heavily. Ishita tucked an errant strand of her hair behind her ear as she averted her eyes, looking downward. 

"I-I'll just leave now... T-They might need me outside..." she whispered, as she slowly stepped away and unlocked the door. 

At the last minute however, she swiftly turned around and passionately kissed her husband on the lips, pouring all her built up desire into the gesture, before escaping the confines of the bathroom.

The door slammed shut as Ishita disappeared and Raman sighed. He staggered against the wall and leaned his head back, closing his eyes. One week... One more week, and he would have his madrasan to himself, all alone. Just the two of them, in paradise. Just one more week...

Sunstar Lodge, Chennai – one week later, Friday, August 31st, 2 pm

"Ishita?"

"Hmm?"

"You're not even looking at me," Raman complained. 

"But I'm listening." Ishita clicked her mouse as she reread her presentation on her laptop. "Agar kuch kaam ki baat ho toh bolo. Warna mujhe abhi disturb mat kijiye."

"Toh yehi value reh gayi hai pati ki," Raman groaned. But Ishita was too focused on her presentation to pay his complaints any heed.

Raman sighed and leaned back against the headrest of the bed. His wife sat on the adjacent desk and edited her presentation, her knee bouncing in nervous anticipation. They had arrived at their hotel room an hour ago. As excited as he was for their honeymoon, Raman quickly realized that none of the sort would happen until after Ishita finished her research presentation tomorrow and could breath a sigh of relief. Which meant that he had been sulking on their bed, idly flipping through TV channels and scrolling through his phone, while his wife worked on her presentation. 

She chewed on the back of her pen and her knee bounced violently, shaking the chair itself. Raman looked over to his wife and scrunched his eyebrows in concern.

"Madrasan? What's going on? Are you okay?" he asked. 

"Raman, not now," she replied without even listening to his question. 

Raman stood up from the bed and snatched her pen from her hand to stop her from biting on it. Her anxiety manifested as irritation.

"Kya hai Raman?! Can't you see I'm busy right now?!" she yelled. 

He kneeled down beside her and took her hands into his, laying the pen on the table. 

"Just breathe for a minute, will you?" he asked. "Take a deep breath in..." Raman inhaled a deep breath indicating Ishita to do the same. "...And breath out." He exhaled and Ishita followed. 

"Now tell me, what's going on? Why are you so anxious?" he asked. 

"I'm just... I'm nervous about this presentation, Raman," she revealed. "Don't get me wrong. I'm great at my work. I've done very well in my career. But it's these public presentations that just get me nervous sometimes. It's the main reason why I didn't take up research as my primary career. I'm a clinician first and researcher second." 

"Isn't Dr. Batra presenting with you though?" Raman asked.

"He was supposed to, but he's been assigned to give the keynote address. Which means I'm presenting all alone."

"Okay, don't worry. We'll figure this out. Why don't you present to me? Practice with me and I'll give you feedback on how you're doing."

Ishita gulped. She didn't know if her presentation was even good enough for anyone to witness it yet. But Raman knew her inside out. If there was one person who she could confide in, it was him.

"Okay fine." 

She stood up from her chair and turned her laptop so Raman could see the screen. She progressed through each slide and explained each point. Raman listened intently, not a single emotion passing over his face. 

Ishita ended her presentation and took a nervous breath. "So... how was it?" she asked cautiously. 

Raman nodded knowingly but said no words. 

"Raman! Say something na?!" she pleaded, anxiety crawling up her throat. 

"Ishita, your information is very well explained. Your presentation is extremely thorough. I may not have understood all the 'science-y' parts, but I know statistics very well. And your statistics are robust," he said.

"I can feel a 'but' coming."

"But you need to present your information more confidently. People get drawn to the presenter's aura before the presenation even begins." 

He stood up and approached her. "Set your shoulders back and lift your chin high." He pushed her shoulders back and lifted her chin with a finger. "And make sure to project your voice when you speak."

"Okay. Point taken," Ishita replied. "Let me try again. 

Raman stepped back and sat back down, as Ishita went through her presentation again. Her body language was more confident this time around but Raman could still feel her holding back.

"Good," he commented when she was done. "But you could still do better. Ishita, I've seen men present half as good stuff with twice as much confidence. Your research is very good. Now it's time that you believe that, okay? No one knows your research better than you. So own it. Be big and bold. Don't be afraid to take up space, all right? God knows you deserve it."

Ishita nodded and a tiny hesitant smile appeared on her face. "Okay, I'll practice again," she resolved.

She reset her powerpoint presentation and practiced it again. This time, her voice had lost its quiver and her body language spoke of power instead of nervousness. She fumbled on a couple mistakes, but she corrected them quickly, moving onto the next slide with grace.

"How was it this time?" she asked when she finished.

"Much much better." Raman smiled, as pride bloomed in his chest.

Three practice sessions later, Ishita had her presentation down to the letter. She was ready.

Annual Dentistry Symposium, Chennai – next day, Saturday September 1st, 9 am

"Hello ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to our seventh annual dentistry symposium!" Applause broke out amongst the audience at the announcer's words. 

"We'd like to take a moment to thank our sponsors, Marriott Hotel and Oceanside Health & Wellness for such a great event. Now without further delay, let's begin our event with the keynote speaker. Please put your hands together for Dr. Rohit Batra!"

Dr. Batra stood up from the first row and climbed the steps to the stage. Raman and Ishita joined the audience in applause from the second row. He was dressed in a crisp black three-piece suit with a navy blue tie, his visitor badge attached to his front pocket. She was clad in a formal but simple beige saree with a thick black border and black blouse, her doctor's badge clipped at the edge of her saree against her chest. They listened attentively as Dr. Batra gave the keynote address.

Once his speech ended, the announcer called all speakers backstage to begin the series of presentations. 

Ishita rubbed her palms together and took a deep breath.

"You got this Ishita," Raman whispered to her. Ishita met his eyes and he nodded. "Go own that stage, Dr. Bhalla."

After one last squeeze to her hand, Raman let go. Ishita nodded with a confident smile and left with the rest of the speakers to go backstage. She was in line to present third, which meant Raman had to sit through two presentations before she came on stage. 

During the few minutes of respite between both talks, Raman felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and found a young man leaning forward to talk to him. 

"Hi, you must be Raman Bhalla, right?" 

Raman nodded. "Yes, that's me."

"Oh that's great. I saw your badge earlier and wanted to say hi but never got the chance. I'm a big fan of your work. I've read a couple of your and Dr. Batra's publications. They're so impressive."

Raman scrunched up his eyes in confusion. 

"Aren't you presenting today? I read your name on the program schedule." The man opened a pamphlet and read aloud, "Enzyme therapy to prevent plaque buildup and gum disease by Bhalla & Batra."

That's when realization dawned in Raman's eyes and he relaxed his eyebrows. "You're mistaken sir," he clarified. "Dr. Bhalla is my wife, Ishita Bhalla. I'm just here to support her."

The young man blinked. "O-Oh... I'm... I'm so sorry sir... I just assumed-"

"Well, you assumed wrong, young man," Raman said, barely masking his annoyance. He turned forward in his seat and faced the stage as another presentation began. 

Twenty minutes later, his wife's name was announced and he clapped until his palms were stinging. 

Ishita took a deep breath and walked on stage, as her laptop was connected to the projector screen. The first slide of her presentation appeared on screen and she began her presentation. Her clear and stern voice boomed through the hall and she stood tall, explaining each slide thoroughly. Gone was the timid, shy girl from yesterday. Her numerous practice sessions had paid off well. Not only was she unafraid to take up space, she had also been reminded of her passion that had gotten her involved in research in the first place. 

Raman smiled as his wife took over the stage. Her presence and aura demanded everyone's attention and as he had expected, every pair of eyes in the room was focused on her, every pair of ears was hanging onto each word of hers. 

When the presentation ended and the question session commenced, she tackled each question with utmost grace and confidence. She clarified misconceptions, explained difficult concepts, and even acknowledged her own project's shortcomings when necessary. 

"Excuse me, Dr. Bhalla?" 

A voice sounded from behind Raman. He looked over his shoulder to see that the same young man from earlier had raised his hand to ask a question. 

"Yes, go ahead," Ishita said, nodding at him. 

"I don't understand why you decided to use a simple t-test to find the significance level when other, more complicated stats tests exist," he said. "I mean... if the research is so ambitious, shouldn't the data analysis be just as ambitious too?"

Ishita gulped. Months ago, she had made the strategic decision to use a simpler significance test in their data analysis based on sample size, p-value, and other variables. She had been sure of her decision then, but having witnessed other presentations with more complicated statistics, she felt unsure now.

Raman turned his head and made no effort to hide his scowl at the young man. Didn't he just claim to be a big fan of Dr. Bhalla's work? So what was it with such an arrogant question? More than arrogant though, it was a stupid question. Complicated math and confusing jargon weren't indicative of knowledge. Sometimes, the simplest answer was the correct answer. 

He noticed his wife turn a bit anxious, and he chewed his lip nervously. Don't let him rattle you, madrasan. Believe in yourself.

Ishita straightened her spine and cleared her throat, as if the words from his mind had somehow silently reached her.

"That's a good question sir," she began, voice devoid of any nervousness. "I could've used other significance tests, but none of those would've worked well with the kind of data we were collecting. A t-test was best to analyze our data considering our sample size..." 

She went on to explain her numerous reasons behind using a t-test, as well as why other statistical methods wouldn't have worked. 

Raman smiled at his wife's confidence, his eyes glowing with pride. That's my girl.

When her presentation ended and everyone dispersed for lunch, Ishita made a beeline for her husband.

"So... How did I do?" she asked. 

"You were amazing." He dropped a quick chaste kiss on her temple. "Just as I knew you would be."

"Thanks to you, Raman. You really helped me out yesterday."

"I didn't do anything, madrasan. This was all you."

"Agree to disagree," Ishita shrugged. "How about we just go for lunch now? Mujhe bahot bhukh lagi hai. Maine to tension ke maare breakfast bhi thik se nahi kiya tha," she pouted.

"Accha? Was that one piece of toast and half cup of coffee not enough?" Raman raised his eyebrow sarcastically. 

"Chaliye abhi!" She wrapped her hands around his arm and dragged him to the dining area, both of them chuckling. 

Their bubble of laughter was rudely interrupted however, when they unknowingly bumped into someone in the lobby. 

"Sorry, I-"

Before Ishita could finish her apology, the stranger turned around and her face fell in shock. 

"Subbu?!" she gasped.

Dedication: This chapter goes out to all women in science, medicine, tech, engineering, and any other traditionally male-dominated field. πŸ‘©πŸ»β€βš•οΈπŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’ΌπŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ”¬

Never let self-doubt and imposter syndrome get the best of you, ladies! Let's keep shattering stereotypes and breaking barriers! Love you all!! πŸ˜ŠπŸ€—β€οΈ

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
Divyalingaraju thumbnail

Both the parts were really very amazing please update next part soon 

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

What are u seriously? 😳

U can write a detailed scene of a play, U can pick up lines for a dental seminar, U have knowledge over everything under the sun😳. Seriously what are you? 😳. I am truly impressed😎

Reading ur story makes me feel like watching episode after episode and ur picking great stuff to fill the story, Adi-Raman-Ishita mobile talk was excellent I feel. 

U wrote such a beautiful moral filled conversation between the trio, but serving alcohol at a child's birthday party is something I didn't feel right. I can give a long explanation but u will doze offπŸ˜†. 

So Subbu is here to spoil the honeymoonπŸ€”

Or maybe for Ishita to show him that he is out of her systemπŸ˜›

Can't wait for the next part

Read part 60 onlyπŸ˜’. Will read other parts soonπŸ˜›

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: --QUEEN--

What are u seriously? 😳

U can write a detailed scene of a play, U can pick up lines for a dental seminar, U have knowledge over everything under the sun😳. Seriously what are you? 😳. I am truly impressed😎

Awwww.... Thank you!!! πŸ˜³πŸ€—

I just happen to read a lot and consume lots of stories and fiction which is why I seem to have knowledge of many things. Plus, I'm in graduate school and a science geek which means I'm quite familiar with the research process and how women work in science field. 

For the things that I don't know first-hand, I just spend 15-20 minutes doing some basic research on Wikipedia. That's what I did for the Swan Lake ballet/play. I actually don't know much about theater and drama.

U wrote such a beautiful moral filled conversation between the trio, but serving alcohol at a child's birthday party is something I didn't feel right. I can give a long explanation but u will doze offπŸ˜†. 

I understand where you're coming from. Actually, I live in the US where, at every single party I've been to (as a child and adult both), there was always a bottle of wine around for adults. It's just part of the culture I think. And one glass of wine or one can of beer throughout the night didn't hurt anyone. Considering the Punjabi culture, I thought it would be okay to include. Like the adults nursing on a drink or two when they're sitting alone. 

Sorry if I offended you. β€οΈ

Can't wait for the next part

Read part 60 onlyπŸ˜’. Will read other parts soonπŸ˜›

Take your time dear. I'll be waiting to read your comments on the other parts of as well. Love you! 😊❀️

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 61

Ishita blinked. And blinked again. And again. She couldn't believe her eyes. Was it really... him? Subbu?

It had been an eon since she had given that man any thought. So much so that she hadn't even realized how easy it was going to be for her to bump into him here. He was a practicing dentist in Chennai... Of course he'd be at this conference. It didn't even occur to her.

She had moved on. Truly. She had a husband who loved her beyond words; children she cherished more than the richest jewels; and a family who cared for her beyond measure. So why did the mere sight of this man cause her teeth to clench in resentment and her glare turn accusatory?

It's been a long time

And seeing the shape of your name

Still spells out pain

Raman's eyes widened in shock. His gaze bounced from his wife to the man in front of him, a million emotions passing over his face. Until now, he had only heard of Subbu, the man who had been foolish enough to dump a once-in-a-lifetime woman like Ishita over something so damn immaterial. But now, the name had a face to it, and his eyes rained their uninhibited disapproval and criticism on him. 

Subbu gulped as he found himself the object of Raman and Ishita's piercing stares. He hadn't given Ishita another thought after the first few weeks of their breakup. There had been rare instances in the beginning of his marriage when he had compared Ragini to Ishita, pleased at how his wife kept her mouth shut around his mother, gratified at how willingly she had left her engineering career after Varun's birth. Life had gone on, leaving him no room for even the tiny inkling of guilt he initially carried. 

It wasn't right

The way it all went down

Looks like you know that now

But now, his ex stood in front of him, her eyes glaring accusations at him. His mouth went dry as guilt reignited in his heart, and the air strung taut between them with awkwardness.

"Hi... Hi Ishu..." Subbu mumbled. Ishita's spine turned to an iron rod hearing him use her family nickname. 

"How've you been?" he asked. "How are Bala Anna and Vandu Anni?" 

Ishita cleared her throat, trying her best to mask her scorching glare and maintain some sense of civility. "I've been great, Subbu. Akka and jeeju are good too."

"I heard Anni was pregnant. How is her health? And how's the baby?"

"She and the baby are both doing good. Her due date is getting close. We should be hearing good news this month."

"That's great..."

Ishita sucked in an uncomfortable breath. All this small talk seemed both unimportant and unnecessary. Especially considering how much ugliness remained buried between them.

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

"This is my husband, Raman Bhalla." She turned to her husband, an involuntary smile creeping up her lips. "CEO and business owner." Her previously small voice was infused with pride and love as she introduced her husband.

Raman extended his arm and shook Subbu's hand, gripping it with power and confidence and a hint of resentment. Subbu returned the gesture, discreetly biting his inner cheek at the painful twinge from such a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Bhalla," he croaked. 

I wish I could say the same, Raman thought.

"The pleasure is mine, doc," he said instead.

Subbu pried his hand away and hid it in his pocket, wincing at the ache in the joints of his fingers. Meanwhile, Raman placed his hand on Ishita's lower back, gripping her waist possessively. 

It cut deep to know ya

Right to the bone

"Shall we go, Ishita?" he asked. 

Before she could answer however, commotion broke out behind them as a chaotic group of young doctors approached them. 

"Subbu! Guess what Niranjan found across the street?" a woman yelled excitedly. 

Ishita and Raman turned around at the chaos, and Ishita gasped as recognition dawned in her eyes.

"Kalpana?! Pravina?! Niranjan?! George?!" she exclaimed delightedly. It had been over two years since she had last met her friends from dental school. 

"Oh... My... God!"

"Doth my eyes deceive me?"

"Ishita Iyer?!"

"The one and only!"

Laughter sounded out around the group as Ishita hugged her friends, one by one. 

"It's actually Ishita Bhalla now," she corrected, chuckling with mirth. She gestured towards her husband and gently pulled him forward to introduce him. "My husband Raman Bhalla. CEO and one of the top business owners in the country," she beamed, proudly showing him off.

Raman shook their hands, barely hiding a shy smile at his wife's pride.

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

"Wait, I think I've read about you," George mused, as he shook Raman's hand. "Didn't you give an interview in the Business Magazine? With your brother I think?" she asked.

"Oh yeah..." Raman nodded. "Mihir and I gave a brief interview for that magazine a few months back."

"It was a memorable interview, Mr. Bhalla. The perfect combination of wise and witty."

"I don't know whether I should be happy or sad right now," Kalpana interjected. "Happy that my friend here-" She draped her arm around Ishita's shoulder. "-landed such a hot millionaire, or sad that literally every single eligible bachelor in the country is going off the market. I'm legit the only single one in this group now," she pouted.

Ishita chuckled at her friend and Raman shook his head, hiding a covert blush.

"What about your brother?" Pravina asked. "Mihir you said, right?"

"Unfortunately he just got married a few months back. To Ishita's sister," Raman revealed.

Kalpana let go of Ishita's shoulder and threw her hands up in mock frustration. "Oh that's just great now, isn't it?" 

"Why don't we put this dilemma of yours on the back burner for now and think about lunch instead?" Niranjan said sharply, raising an eyebrow at his friend. "I found a branch of Ratna's CafΓ© across the street. We were just coming to call you, Subbu."

"Ishita, why don't you join us? You too Raman?" Pravina suggested. 

Ishita's eyes lighted up at the prospect of catching up with her old friends, but Subbu's presence was a strong deterrent.

I know that it's over

I don't need your closure

Your closure

"Come na Ishu?" Kalpana coaxed her. "I know you're a stickler for rules but it won't hurt to ditch the conference's boring lunch. Chalkar thodi yaadein taazaa karte hain na yaar?"

"Ishita," Raman turned to his wife and met her eyes. "Let's go. It'll be fun." 

He could tell from her eyes just how much she wished to catch up with her friends. And truth be told, he himself was curious to find out what she was like in college. Maybe they could manage to ignore Subbu's presence like a scar on the moon.

"All right then," Ishita conceded. "Lead the way guys."

Their friends cheered lightly as they turned towards the side door and exited the building. Ishita walked with a spring in her step, chatting animatedly with Kalpana as she inquired about any other of Raman's brothers who were still single. Raman conversed with George about the latter's plan to go to back to school for an MBA and open his own practice.

Meanwhile, Subbu pressed his lips into a thin line and hid his hands awkwardly in his pockets. He kept sneaking sly glances at his ex, marveling at the confidence and joy radiating from her face. He had never seen her like this. Not in the ten years that he'd known her, and not even in the six years that they'd been together.

As they crossed the street, Raman turned his head sideways to look out for cars, and unknowingly caught Subbu curiously watching his wife out of the corner of his eye. A vertical line appeared between his eyebrows and he fisted his fingers, as a certain green-eyed beast reared its ugly head.

Ratna CafΓ©, Chennai – 12 pm

"Your daughter is so damn cute, Niranjan!" Pravina squealed as she swiped through photos of his toddler on his phone. "How old is she now?"

"She turns three in November," he answered, as the phone passed from Ishita to Kalpana to George to Subbu. 

They stopped on a particular video of the little girl reciting a nursery rhyme, her mother occasionally correcting her mistakes. 

"Kitna bolne lagi hai yeh?" Subbu chuckled. "She's saying entire poems now?! These kids are growing up too fast I tell you." 

"The last time you met her was over a year ago, yaar!" Niranjan commented. "Of course she's grown up now. Even your son is a year old now, isn't he?"

Subbu nodded, handing his friend his phone back. "He turned one year old last month. I don't have any pictures on my phone though," he said quickly, recognizing Kalpana and Pravina's expectant looks. "It's mostly my wife who looks after him so she has most of his pictures on her phone."

He gave Ishita a discreet side-eye before continuing, "He's the biggest blessing of my life. I'd do anything to have him in my life. And I would never regret it one bit." That includes breaking up with you, Ishu. I hope you understand.

Uneasy shivers crawled over Ishita's skin and Raman breathed an angry exhale out of his nostrils. He found her hand under the table and held it lovingly, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles.

Don't treat me like some situation that needs to be handled

I'm fine with my spite and my tears and my beers and my candles

I can feel you smoothing me over

The conversation then meandered to Pravina's latest engagement party, as the group 'ooh-ed' and 'aah-ed' over pictures of her gor dhaana (engagement). She had been dating her longtime Gujarati boyfriend for almost four years now, waiting to tie the knot until he finished grad school. He had graduated two months ago and they were finally set to get married in December.

They had been going around the group, catching up on each of their lives and recounting recent life events, as they waited for their lunch orders in a large circular booth. George had detailed his move to Hyderabad with his wife and daughters. Niranjan and Subbu had talked about their toddler kids. Their lunch arrived just as Pravina finished regaling them with stories of planning a Tamilian/Gujarati wedding.

"We've been through the exact same thing," Ishita spoke up, gesturing between herself and her husband. "You cannot imagine the chaos that ensues when Madrasi and Punjabi mix."

They went on to narrate the best of their family's North and South clashes as the group dug into their lunch. 

"Okay enough," Kalpana stopped them. "All of you." She pointed to every member of the group and scowled playfully. "Look at you guys, talking about your relationships and weddings and babies. Hum single logon par thoda toh taras khaao?"

Ishita bit her tongue. "Sorry yaar. We didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm not upset honestly..." Kalpana played with her noodles. "I'm just worried now. Like seriously. Ek bhi dhang ka ladka nahi mil raha mujhe," she complained. 

"What happened to that guy you posted about on Insta?" Pravina asked. "I thought he was the one. In your caption, you said, and I quote, 'The Aditya to my Geet,'" she said, referencing her friend's favorite movie Jab We Met.

"Aditya, my foot," Kalpana grumbled. "Woh bhi Anshuman hi nikla."

"Don't worry yaar." Ishita rubbed her friend's forearm as a gesture of comfort. "If he left, he left for a reason. Life will bring the person you're meant to be with soon enough."

"Do you say that from experience?" Kalpana raised an eyebrow. 

Ishita turned her head and met Raman's eyes. A loving smile mirrored on their faces. "Absolutely."

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

"How did you guys even meet?" George asked between bites of medu vada. "I mean, how did you guys start?"

The group nodded and echoed his sentiments. 

Ishita took a deep breath and chewed her lip, before deciding on a modified and omitted version of their story. 

"Right after I moved to Delhi, Raman and his family moved to the flat in front of us. It all started there," she said. 

"Was it love at first sight?" Kalpana asked. 

"Absolutely not!" Ishita laughed.

"Anything but!" Raman replied. "The first time we met, she crashed her car into mine."

Ishita gasped. "I did not crash my car! It was your fault, and you know it," she said pointedly, narrowing her eyes, while the group laughed.

She went on to describe how she fell in love with his daughter Ruhi, causing her to get closer to Raman, eventually becoming the cause of their union. How Aditya joined their family soon after, making her a mother of two. 

She set her spoon down and opened her photo app, showing pictures of Ruhi's latest dance recital and Adi's birthday party. 

Subbu smiled tenously as Ishita dropped her phone in her purse and zipped it closed. The guilt and awkwardness that had bloomed in his chest when he ran into his ex now gave way to pity. Poor thing, he thought. She was now someone's second wife and someone's stepmother. 

"It's nice to see you so happy, Ishu," he said, voice dripping with sweetness. "Your stepchildren seem really nice." 

It cut deep to know ya

Right to the bone

Ishita's smile vanished and jaw clenched at his show of condescending politeness. How dare he? How dare he look down on the most important relationships of her life as if they were consolation prizes? Her nostrils flared in anger, but she kept her mouth shut so as not to ruin the easy dynamic of the group.

Raman, on the other hand, was unbothered of decorum and civility and manners. He wasn't going to let that arrogant man get away with hurting his wife. The moment Ishita's smile had disappeared, he had lost all care for the rest of the world.

"Not stepchildren, Subbu," he gritted out. "Adi and Ruhi are Ishita's children. This might be news to you, but blood is not the only thing that ties children to their mother. But neither you nor your mother could ever understand that, could you?"

Subbu's mouth went dry and he averted his eyes. Meanwhile, the rest of the group exchanged curious glances. 

"Anyway..." Subbu cleared his throat to break the tension. "I'm surprised at how great this sambhaar is," he said, desperate to change the topic. "I haven't been to any branch of the Ratna CafΓ© since college but the taste is the exact same."

"True," George joined in. "Even this vada is the same taste."

"Damn, you still order the exact same thing, don't you? Medu vada and coconut chutney?"

Their conversation immediately switched gears, as they traveled down memory lane, reminiscing over their college memories.

"You beat me by like five votes, Subbu," Pravina insisted, as the topic of their college's student elections came up. 

"It was more like fifty," he countered. "But whatever lets you sleep at night."

"I don't get why you're still on about this," Niranjan said. "Is baat ko saalon beet chuke hai."

"Because! I campaigned and made speeches and gave ideas about how to better the student experience. And this guy just won because of his popularity."

Subbu shook his head. "I campaigned too, all right? Ishu and I spent an entire weekend putting up posters and flyers. Remember, Ishu?" He craned his neck and looked at his ex.

I know I'm just a

Wrinkle in your new life

Raman tensed up at Subbu's attempt at friendliness towards his wife. The way he called Ishita by a nickname. The way he boasted about memories he had shared with her. Come to think of it, he had known her and even... loved her for much longer than he ever had. His fingers gripped his spoon tightly and he chewed his lip until he a coppery taste filled his mouth. He had drawn blood.

Meanwhile, Ishita breathed shakily with frustration at her ex's weak attempt to build bridges between them. How dare he sit there and act like they could just laugh about shared memories? When in reality, the last time they had been in the same room together, he had dumped her as if she was worth nothing? How dare he attempt to save face and show himself as this great guy who still wished well for his ex?

"Do you guys remember our farewell party?" she said, attempting to change the topic rather than validate Subbu's question with an answer. "The juniors put up such a great dance performance."

"Oh my god, I totally remember," Kalpana replied. "They put on such emotional songs. Even our professors cried. Including Professor Hitler."

"Hitler?" Raman asked, scrunching his eyebrows in confusion. 

"She's talking about our general anatomy professor," Ishita clarified. "He was the strictest teacher we had."

"And Ishita was the only student in our class who had the courage to face him one-on-one," Kalpana revealed. "I remember when she had argued about a mistake on one of the question papers and gotten all of us an extra two marks!"

"Damn Ishita," Raman said. "Iska matlab tum humesha se Jhansi ki Rani rahi ho?"

"Jhansi ki Rani?" Kalpana asked. 

"He calls me that for whenever I get... khatarnaak I guess," she laughed. "It's just that if I know that I'm right about something, then I don't back down."

"Do you guys remember how that day ended? All the pranks our juniors pulled?" George reminded. "Every door in the clinic building was labelled 'Please Use Other Door.' I went round and round the floor for almost ten minutes before realizing it was a prank."

"That wasn't all," Pravina revealed. "For those of us who were waiting on answers for whether we got an internship or not, they mailed us envelopes full of glitter. Almost every classroom and hallway was covered in pink and gold glitter."

"They got even more creative for me," Ishita revealed. "A couple boys left roses and notes in my locker saying they had a crush on me. I think that was the cruelest prank honestly," she chuckled.

Pravina and Kalpana exchanged glances. "Ishu, we said this then, and we're saying this now. Those guys actually had a crush on you."

"No they didn't," she insisted. "It was a prank."

"Um... Actually Ishu," Subbu interrupted, "I just convinced you it was a prank at the time. I think those notes were real." 

Ishita's jaw dropped in horror. "What?!"

"I mean, you were my girlfriend then. I couldn't afford losing you to a couple junior wierdos now, could I?" he laughed, shrugging his shoulders indifferently. 

Staying friends

Would iron it out so nice

Ishita stared at her ex, extremely perturbed. The fact that he had so easily changed the narrative and manipulated her into believing a lie unnerved her. She probably wouldn't have entertained those proposals either way, but the fact that she had been manipulated so easily scared her. The fact that he had manipulated her so easily scared her.

Raman breathed in a sharp inhale, as the green-eyed beast roared within his chest. How popular was his wife back in college? Subbu had been in love with her, two other boys had a crush on her, and even Mani was interested at one point. He recalled how Ishita had joked a while back about boys from her college being interested in her, and the mere mention of it had caused him to go off his rocker. Listening to actual stories though, was much more enraging.

He interlocked his fingers with his wife's hand underneath the table and gripped it. Hard. 

"Funny how life works huh, Subbu?" Raman spat out before he could stop himself. "You still lost her."

"That is another question we have. How did that happen, Subbu?" Kalpana said, broaching a sensitive subject. "I mean, don't get me wrong. As long as you're both happy – which clearly you both are – then we're happy. But it's just confusing. You guys were together for six years. We even got your wedding invitations. And then snap, Subbu gets married to someone else, Ishita moves to Delhi, and even she gets married to someone else. Like, how?"

"Mutual differences," Subbu was quick to say, trying his best to save face. "We just... um... we wanted different things in life."

He sent Ishita a tenuous smile, hoping she wouldn't make a scene, guilt now eating away at his heart.

Guilty, guilty reaching out across the sea

That you put between you and me

But Ishita had had enough. She was sick of this man acting like he held the moral high ground, acting like they were still on good terms, acting like it was all water under the bridge, when he hadn't even had enough courtesy to apologize to her.

"Yeah, we wanted different things in life," she said bitterly. "I wanted a life partner who would always have my back, while he wanted a mute baby-making machine. His mom didn't approve of a personal health condition of mine, so he dumped me in front of our families, three weeks after I had a life-threatening surgery.

"I don't know if you got what you wanted or not Subbu, but I certainly did." She set her and Raman's interlocked hands out on the table and sent him a loving, appreciative glance. "Is it okay if we leave now, Raman?"

He nodded in response. "Yes, absolutely." The sooner, the better.

The table went silent as everyone stared at Subbu in shock, who in turn rolled his eyes and shook his head disapprovingly. "Ishu, did you really have to make a scene here? Can't we talk later about this?" he muttered.

"It's Ishita for you," she answered. "Or better yet, Dr. Bhalla. And no, we can't talk later about this. In fact, I'd rather never talk to you again." 

But it's fake

And it's oh so unnecessary

Both Raman and Ishita stood up and exited the booth. 

"I'm sorry to leave like this guys," Ishita said, "but we really should get going. It was great to catch up with you all."

She gave Kalpana and Pravina one last hug and shook hands with George and Niranjan. Raman waved them all goodbye with a polite smile, before leaving with his wife. They exited the restaurant and headed back to the dentistry symposium for the evening session. They walked in complete silence, her saree and his coat fluttering in the wind. 

Ishita's face was screwed up in irritation and renewed bitterness. All her unresolved negativity and hurt and pain had resurfaced, muddying the seemingly clear waters of her mind and her life. But she couldn't dwell on it anymore. After all, it had all worked out, hadn't it? She was married to a man who loved her more than anyone had ever loved her, to a man that was a thousand-fold better than her ex. So why did his reappearance send her emotions into mayhem?

Raman sent his wife cautious glances as they crossed the street. She had become so quiet, as if becoming drawn into herself. And he was mad. Mad at Subbu for the way he had hurt such a gem of a woman. Mad at Ishita for letting such a lowlife get to her, when she was supposedly in love with him, her husband. He had a feeling that she was slipping away from his fingers, and it terrified him. 

A silent shudder rolled through his back as he tentatively wrapped his fingers around hers, relieved when she tightened her own grip around him.

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

It cut deep to know ya

Right to the bone

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

I know that it's over

I don't need your closure, closure

Your closure

Your closure

https://youtu.be/AIFnKqIeEdY

Annual Dentistry Symposium, Chennai – a few hours later, 5 pm

"So... what is this talk about?" Raman whispered to his wife in the audience.

"The title says 'Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion in Science.' I think it's about creating opportunities in science and making it inclusive," she explained. "But I'm not sure."

"You're not sure?" He quirked an eyebrow. "Then why are we here?"

"Because this talk is by my favorite professor, Renuka ma'am. And I really want to meet her after this."

"Oh... I see."

"I haven't met her in almost... five or even six years," she mused. "You know, I think I was her favorite student that year. Don't tell anyone though."

"Why not?"

"Because technically, teachers aren't supposed to have favorites," she chuckled.

Raman smiled at his wife's giggles, happy to see her good mood return. Neither of them had forgotten the morning's events but at least the initial shock and negativity had subsided.

The presentation began shortly. It was an engaging talk on a rather interesting topic. Despite her age, Renuka spoke clearly and loudly, dominating over the room with confidence. She talked about her own experience as well as her work to increase opportunities for underrepresented groups in science and research. 

When the talk ended and Renuka climbed down the stage, Ishita immediately approached her, Raman at her heels. 

"Hi Renuka ma'am!" She gave a slight wave. "It's Ishita. You might remember me as Ishita Iyer...?" she asked tremulously. 

Renuka scrunched her eyebrows for a moment before realization dawned upon her and her eyes popped out of their sockets. 

"Ishita! Yes, yes! Of course, I remember!" She stepped forward and wrapped her favorite student in a hug. "How have you been dear?" she asked, pulling back. "I haven't seen you around in so long."

"I've been great ma'am," Ishita replied. "I actually live in Delhi now, so maybe that's why you haven't seen me."

"You moved to Delhi?"

"Yes, I work as a pediatric dentist at the Batra Medical Center."

"That's incredible. I'm so proud of you, beta."

"And this is my husband, Raman Bhalla." She gestured towards her husband, who promptly shook the professor's hand.

"Are you a dentist too?" she asked. 

"No ma'am. I'm not that smart," he chuckled. 

"He's even smarter," Ishita interjected. "He's the owner of one of the topmost business of this country."

"Impressive..." Suddenly, Renuka's eyes widened and she gasped. "Wait! This means you didn't marry your college boyfriend!" she exclaimed. "What was his name...? Subbu!" 

Ishita's spine stiffened and Raman's muscles tensed up. They had barely gotten over their encounter with him this morning. Did she really have to remind them of him again?

But what she said next, they could never have predicted. 

"Ishita dear, I am so so glad you didn't marry him!" she laughed, sighing in relief. "I always thought you and him wouldn't work out."

Raman and Ishita blinked and exchanged surprised glances. A bright smile formed on Raman's face, and he shook Renuka's hand vigorously. 

"Ma'am, for that comment alone, you're my favorite person in this whole place!" he exclaimed. 

Ishita raised an eyebrow at him and crossed her arms across her chest, causing Raman to quickly amend his statement. 

"I mean, apart from my wife, you're my favorite person in this whole place," he chuckled. 

Their conversation wound from Ishita's booming career to Raman's work to Renuka's newest initiatives and research projects as a professor. When their conversation came to an end, Raman and Ishita turned to leave, but Ishita couldn't walk away without clearing up one last confusion in her head. 

"Raman, you go ahead," she said. "I just have to talk with ma'am for a minute."

"Everything okay?" he asked. 

"Yeah yeah, everything's fine. Just a question I have."

"Okay."

Raman walked out the exit while Ishita turned back to her professor for one last question. 

"Ma'am? Why did you think Subbu and I wouldn't have worked?" she asked. She was more than happy to not be associated with him anymore, but it truly surprised her that someone had predicted they weren't meant to be that early on. 

"Do you wish it would have worked?" Renuka asked. 

"No no, not at all!" Ishita replied quickly. "Raman is... He's the best partner I could have asked for. I'm just genuinely curious. Hardly anyone in my life thought Subbu and I wouldn't work out. Even I didn't see it coming. So how did you...?"

"Ishita look... I'll be completely honest with you," Renuka began. "In all these years as a college professor, I've learned not to judge young relationships. The entire world could be rooting for a couple and they don't work out. Two unlikely people can come together and end up having a marriage that lasts forty years. So I try not to give any personal commentary on my students' relationships."

"I understand ma'am, but I'm not your student anymore, am I? Please ma'am. Bataayiye na?"

"Well, in your case, I think it was the tiny things that made me think it wouldn't work for you both. Mainly, I just thought that you deserved better. It always seemed like you were doing things for him, changing your schedule, and bending over backwards for him. And not only did he never reciprocate those actions, he didn't even value them. I saw you cancel plans for him, choosing to meet him over your friends, and just... doing lots of things for him. But he never seemed to care. It just looked like he didn't love you as much you loved him."

The wheels turned in Ishita's brain, and she saw her past memories through a whole new lens. Her relationship with Subbu flashed through her mind and so many pieces of the puzzle clicked together. The way he had dumped her came as a surprise, but now she saw all the little things that should have told her much earlier that she deserved better. The way he used empty words and gifts rather than real actions to show his care. The way he manipulated and gaslighted her at even the simplest matters. The way he had loved her for what she could provide rather than her as an individual.

"See Ishita," Renuka continued, "I don't believe in destiny or soulmates or two people being 'meant to be.' I've seen too much in life to believe in any of that. The truth is, there is no rhyme or reason to what brings two people together. All that matters is both parties put in equal effort. It never works when one person in a relationship puts more efforts than the other. And with Subbu, it was clear that you were putting in more effort. Much more effort."

"And you think Raman puts in as much effort as I do? He loves me as much as I love him?" Ishita knew without a doubt that it was true, but she was curious to know how her professor had figured it out. 

"Yes, I think so."

"How? You've only known him for a few minutes at most."

Renuka smiled. "Because... I've seen the way he looks at you when you're not looking." 

Ishita's heart pounded. "And how's that?"

What Renuka said next caused her heart to spin out of control. 

"He looks at you like you're a breath of fresh air. Like you're his moon and sun and stars all wrapped in one. Like you're the center of his cosmos."

Annual Dentistry Symposium, Chennai – the next day, Sunday, September 2nd, 6 pm

"How much longer is this going to take?" Raman groaned. 

"Raman, I already said you didn't have to attend today's talks. I know these must be boring you," Ishita replied. 

"It's not the talks that bother me. They're actually quite interesting. It's these periods of waiting that frustrate me."

"It should start any minute now. And it's the last one of the entire conference. After that, there's the social and wrap-up party which you'll enjoy a lot more."

"Does that mean there'll be alcohol?"

"No. It means there'll be free alcohol."

Raman and Ishita chuckled together, as the mike sounded on the stage and the last presentation began. The topic was something about regenerative dentistry. While Ishita listened attentively, Raman struggled to focus on the presenter. He could only handle so much science in a span of two days. He had reached his limit. 

More than the talks and presentations however, it was the looming shadow of his wife's ex that had him on edge. They had been fortunate enough not to run into him again after yesterday's lunch, even as they had attended Ishita's friends' presentations.

Despite the sour taste left in their mouths from Subbu's comments over lunch, Raman was pleased to see Ishita's mood brighten up after her chat with her professor last evening. He, on the other hand, not so much. An irrational, unexplainable anger had lighted up in his heart, and he didn't know how to deal with it. 

"And that's a wrap on our annual dentistry conference, everyone!" 

Applause broke out as the final session ended, and Raman was rudely jerked awake from his musings. 

"Thank you to everyone for attending our conference and making it such a success," the announcer continued. "A massive thank you to our sponsors once again. And congratulations to our award winners for this year. Be sure to collect your plaques before you leave."

Chuckles and laughs broke out from the audience, while Raman rolled his eyes at the pun.

"Please be sure to attend our departmental social this evening in the main banquet hall. It begins at seven and will continue until ten tonight. We hope to see you there!"

Raman and Ishita stood up from their seats and headed to their hotel for a quick dinner and change of clothes before returning to the conference site for the wrap party.

Main Banquet Hall, Department Social/Wrap Party – two hours later, 8 pm

Music sounded from the speakers and waiters served drinks and appetizers as dentists, medical students, and dignitaries intermingled with each other. Everyone had gotten out of their formal wear and into casual dresses and jeans for the social, donning their party personalities instead of their usual professional and scholarly roles.

At the moment, Ishita was engaged in a conversation with Niranjan, Kalpana, and an aspiring student dentist while Raman nursed a neat whiskey. It was an unusual social setting for him. In the past five-six years, he had mastered the art of taking over the room, owing to his charisma, exceptional storytelling, and witty humor. 

But he seemed to be having an off day today. None of his jokes were working, eliciting blank stares from the crowd other than his wife. On the other hand, he cringed at many of the dentists' jokes, most of them being corny puns and riddles. It was unnerving for him to be in a social setting where he couldn't find his footing.

"I'm just going to get another drink," Raman whispered in Ishita's ear before stepping away for a breath. 

Before he could get any further however, his wife's grip on his forearm stopped him.

"Are you okay, Raman?" Ishita asked. "Agar aapko sab ke beech ajeeb lag raha hai toh hum nikal sakte hain. Hotel waapis chalte hai," she suggested.

Raman sighed and peered at her lovingly. He recalled how many of his parties and functions she had attended and been by his side despite her awkwardness and estrangement from the business circle. He could get through one more night in the company of science geeks. It was the least he could do.

"I'm fine madrasan," he insisted. "I'm just going to get a refill, and I'll be right back. This is my first time finding out so much about you. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

He winked at her playfully before walking towards the bar and plopping down on an empty stool. 

"Barkeep, neat whiskey please." Raman slid his glass across the counter, which the bartender effortlessly caught. He poured him a drink and handed it back to him.

"Thanks."

Raman took a sip of his whiskey and turned in his seat so his wife would be in his line of vision. She wore an elegant black column dress with full sleeves, her hair tied up in low bun. She was absolutely in her element, gracefully showcasing her intellect and knowledge, while simultaneously listening to the youngsters' ideas and the elderly's experience. He was honored to have such a learned woman as his partner.

He idly turned his glass in his hand, as his thoughts meandered to the events of the past two days. He had heard so much about her life as a professional dentist as well as her college life. He mused what their relationship would've been like if he had met her earlier in life. If they had had a sweet and cute courtship under the blush of first love rather than having to heal from past heartache and trauma. 

He was eternally grateful for the year he had spent with her, and he looked forward to the many years to come. But even so, his mind couldn't help but wonder about her past. How she had so many memories with someone other than him. And that too with Subbu no less. He gulped another swig of whiskey and it scorched his throat. 

Realization finally dawned on him as he realized why he had been gripped with such an irrational, unexplainable anger. It was jealousy, he realized. He had grown to be so used to Ishita's presence, become so possessive of her, that the mere thought of her being with someone else was enough to burn him from the inside out. He wanted every piece of her. He wanted to share every memory of her life. And it irritated him to no end that Subbu had shared such intimate memories with her. 

He unknowingly thought of Subbu, of Mani, of the two boys that he had heard had a crush on her. She could have so easily been linked to someone else. Two years ago, she had planned to get engaged to Subbu. Over a year ago, she had received a proposal from Mani. The thought of her being with anyone else but him caused him to shudder with rage. Involuntarily, he slid his empty glass across the counter.

"Would you like a refill, sir?" the bartender asked.

Raman shook his head in the negative. "Two drinks is my limit tonight. Just hand me a can of diet coke if you have one."

"Sure." The bartender grabbed a can of diet coke from the mini-fridge and opened it before placing it in front of him. "Anything on your mind, sir?"

"A lot of things," Raman laughed bitterly.

"You wanna talk about it? You'd be surprised how much wisdom us bartenders can offer."

"Well then oh wise one... Tell me this. Why does life give us pain at every single turn? Even in the happiest, most beautiful moments, why must there be even a pinch of pain?"

The bartender chuckled. "You know sir, my grandma used to say. God gives us pain for one purpose and one purpose only. So that we understand those who have gone through something similar. Without pain, we would become ignorant."

Raman brought the can of diet coke to his mouth, but its ascent stopped as understanding washed over him like a bucket of ice water.

"Damn. You really are wise," he whispered in shock. He barely heard the bartender chuckle as his mind whirred at warp speed.

How could he have not thought about this? How could he feel jealous of Subbu, a man his wife had simply dated, when he himself had shared memories with another woman before Ishita came into his life? In fact, his memories with Shagun were much more intimate than the ones Ishita had shared with Subbu. They had been married and had two kids, for god's sakes! He couldn't even handle Subbu's presence for two days. How must have Ishita felt throughout their marriage, with his ex Shagun putting up roadblocks in front of her?

He shook his head, utterly disappointed at himself. The thought of Ishita being married to anyone else but him had made him burn with jealousy. So how must she have felt knowing that he had actually been married to someone else in the past? 

But even despite all that, they had found each other, he thought. They may not have had the good fortune to make memories in the past, but they had an entire future together... to make new memories. A smile crept up his lips as the fire in his chest slowly abated. He set down the can of coke and stood up from his stool, eager to get back to his wife. 

But the sight that greeted him reignited the flames of jealousy within his heart. For his wife stood in front of her ex, smiling wider than he had seen her smile in the last two days.

Ten minutes ago

Ishita watched her husband walk to the bar, sending his retreating figure a wary glance. He had winked at her and insisted to stay back for her, but she could tell he felt out of place. As grateful as she was for his thoughtful gesture, she resolved to leave within the next twenty minutes. Besides, her own social battery was running out too.

"I'll see you guys later. It was so great meeting you guys!" The student they were speaking with waved them goodbye and left to meet her friends, leaving Ishita with Niranjan and Kalpana.

"Your presentation was superb today, Kalpana," Ishita said. "I didn't have a chance to tell you earlier but that was amazing work."

"Why thank you." Kalpana took a dramatic bow as Niranjan gave mock applause.

"By the way Ishita, I was meaning to ask-" Niranjan turned to his other friend, "-are you doing okay after yesterday's lunch?"

"I'm fine," Ishita replied curtly, uneager to broach the topic.

"Oh yeah..." Kalpana's face turned serious. "Ishita, we had no idea so much happened between you too. Otherwise we would never have insisted you join us with him there. It's just that... I mean he always gave us the impression that you guys broke up mutually. It was hard to believe, but... we had no other version of the story to go by."

Ishita huffed. "It doesn't matter now," she insisted. "Whatever happened was for good honestly. I am married to a much better man because of it." 

Her gaze wandered to Raman sitting at the bar, and her eyes softened with tenderness.

"We can see that," Kalpana whistled. "I mean... you look at him like he hung up the moon. I've never seen you like this. Like... ever."

Ishita hid her eyes behind her fingers, blush rising in her cheeks. Niranjan and Kalpana giggled at her. Their little bubble popped however, when a certain someone cleared their throat behind Ishita.

"Ishu- I mean... Ishita?" Subbu said tentatively.

Ishita sighed in frustration. "I don't want to talk to you," she said without even turning to face him. She made to step away, deciding this would be a good time to leave the party.

"I just wanted to apologize!" he called out after her.

Her feet stopped in their tracks and she turned to face him despite herself. Niranjan and Kalpana discreetly made themselves scarce, letting them talk in private. 

"Listen Ishita... I um..." Subbu nervously rubbed his hands together. "I'm sorry. For the way I left you. And how that... hurt you. I didn't mean to hurt you. Really, I didn't. It's just that... amma had certain expectations of me... She had some dreams which I couldn't break..."

Ishita rolled her eyes. This was his sorry attempt at an apology? 

"Subbu, I wasn't hurt because you left me," she sighed. "I was hurt because you didn't even talk to me about me. I would've completely understood if you didn't want to marry me after finding out about my infertility. But you didn't even think I was worthy of one conversation?"

Subbu hung his face shamefacedly, as Ishita shot daggers at him. He had dumped her so abruptly, giving her no chance at closure and leaving her with such horrible trust issues and insecurities. She recalled every time those insecurities had hindered her relationship with Raman. Every time she had dismessed her own feelings or Raman's advances believing she was unworthy of love. Every time she had hid behind "Sirf Ruhi ke liye" to refuse dealing with her real feelings. All because of this man. Naturally, she was in no mood to forgive.

"I'm truly sorry, Ishu," Subbu continued. "Please don't harbor this negativity in your heart any longer. We were just... I think we just weren't meant to be. I think it's time you moved on," he advised, looking down upon her.

Ishita narrowed her eyes and glared at him. "Don't try to patronize me, Subbu. You think I'm mad because I'm still hung up on you?" He shook her face with a mocking laugh. "I love my husband. Only him. And he loves me too. More than you could ever be capable of loving someone."

A million words came to her tongue, so much so that she could've spoken for hours about how great of a husband Raman was. She could've compared Subbu's empty show-off to Raman's real, genuine gestures. She could've detailed her ex's disregard for her career and individuality in contrast to her husband's pride at her independence and courage. She could've described how she was cherished – treasured even – being Raman's wife.

But she decided against it. She didn't owe it to anyone – much less Subbu – to explain her marriage. He didn't deserve her mental energy. 

"Let it be, Subbu. Don't bother apologizing to me. In fact, I should actually be thanking you," she said.

A genuine smile lighted up her face, and Subbu scrunched his eyebrows quizzically. 

"The only reason I met the love of my life and my other half is because you left me. The worst heartbreak of my life turned out to be the best thing to ever happen to me," she explained. 

Subbu gulped awkwardly. "I didn't know you felt that way Ishu- Um... Ishita. I guess I'll... I'll leave you alone then..."

He turned around to leave, but Ishita stopped him. 

"Wait Subbu," she called out. "This time, I get to walk away."

She turned around and walked off, leaving Subbu behind, along with all the insecurities and doubts he had once plagued her with. 

But before she could find her bearings as she walked away, a firm hand gripped her wrist and her husband's eyes rained fire at her. 

"We need to talk," he gritted out.

Less than five minutes later, they had exited the building and he cornered her under an exterior lighting fixture, his grip on her wrist as firm as ever. 

Ishita peered at her husband curiously, concerned at the anguish in his eyes. Had she really failed to notice his turmoil amidst her own?

"Raman, aap kya-"

"Aisa kya hai usme?" he asked hoarsely, without letting her finish. "Aisa kya hai us Subbu mein jo woh tumhe aaj bhi itna affect karta hai?"

Ishita scrunched her eyebrows in confusion and concern. 

"I saw you smiling at him," he revealed. "For two days, he's been causing you so much trouble. And I've been trying to better your mood. But despite that, he gets your brightest smile?"

Her eyebrows relaxed and understanding dawned upon her. She brought her free hand up to his face and gently cupped his cheek. "No Raman, it's not like that. I was smiling at him because if he hadn't dumped me then I wouldn't have met you, my love."

His heartstrings went taut at the epithet she used. His possessive grip on her other hand loosened, and she raised it to hold his face with both hands.

"Raman, I was just taken aback when he appeared in front of me after so long," she explained. "I think I just didn't have proper closure which is why I had all this unresolved resentment. But... I realized one thing."

"What's that?"

"Subbu and I would never have worked out. My relationship with him was always uneven. I was always meant for you."

Raman dropped his forehead to hers and closed his eyes, his heartstrings threatening to snap under the weight of her revelations. 

"I'm sorry..." he whispered. "I didn't mean to frighten you. I just... You talking to him so happily, so carefree... it just snapped something inside me. You're just... you're mine, you know? Only mine. Tum sirf meri ho," he declared.

"I know, Raman. Main aapki hoon aur aap mere." Her fingers trailed to the back of his head, tangling in his hair. "I'm completely and only yours, just as you're mine." 

Her words barely registered in his head and he lunged forward, capturing her lips with his. She clung to his shoulders and he kneaded her waist, grinding their tongues and teeth together. He nipped her lower lip and she moaned into his mouth, heat igniting within her body. 

Raman hadn't been able to control his earlier possessive reaction. He had simply seen her smiling at Subbu, and the caveman in him had kicked in. It was unlike the modern supportive husband he strived to be, but it was a part of him. He may have pushed hard, maybe even crossed a line, but Ishita didn't seem to mind it. Not by the way she was holding him close and kissing the life out of him. Instead, it was as if she'd been... unlocked. 

Painfully, he wrenched himself out of her grip and managed to breath evenly. There was no way he was going to be able to keep his hands off of her now, and what they were heading towards was not a spectacle for public. It was for his eyes only. 

"Come on. Hotel. Now," he blurted out. 

Ishita nodded eagerly. 

Their hotel was a ten-minute walk away, which they managed to cover in five minutes, as they almost jogged to their room and climbed into the bed. 

They didn't catch a breath until they emerged from beneath the sheets hours later, scratch marks on his back from her nails and bite marks on her neck from his teeth.

Sunstar Hotel, Raman & Ishita's suite – 11 pm

Ishita stretched her arms in the bed, sated and satisfied, even as aftershocks of pleasure ran through her body. Raman rolled over to face her when he caught his breath, lazily trailing his finger along her back.

"Raman," she began when she could finally speak. "I've been meaning to ask. How was this entire experience for you?"

"Amazing. Breathtaking. Mind-numbing."

Ishita furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She didn't know the conference had been that enjoyable for him. It wasn't until he smirked and sent her a flirtatious wink that she realized what he was alluding to.

"Raman!" she gasped, lightly punching him on the shoulder. "That's not what I was talking about. I meant this whole conference. Especially the part where we ran into Subbu. I didn't even properly talk about it with you."

He dropped a light kiss on her shoulder. "It was fine madrasan. It's just that..." His words trailed off nervously.

Ishita turned on her side and faced him on the pillow. "Kahiye na? Chupaayiye mat."

"Tujhe bura toh nahi lagega?"

"Bilkul nahi."

"Welll... It's just that... You dentists have a very bad sense of humor madrasan. How did those guys get none of my jokes?!" he complained. 

"Raman!" Ishita whined, barely hiding her giggles. "I'm trying to have a serious conversation here."

"There's nothing to talk about, Ishita," Raman said, his tone turning serious. "I enjoyed the conference. As far as Subbu goes... I'll admit that I don't like the guy. But mostly what bothered me about him was the fact that he was bothering you. As long as you're okay, I'm okay." 

He pushed her hair back and the pad of his thumb rubbed back and forth on her bare shoulder. "If anything, him showing up let me live in your shoes for a day."

"Matlab?" Ishita asked.

"Matlab... your ex showed up for one weekend and I turned into a jealous wreck. But when you had to deal with Shagun, that too for an entire year no less, you did it with such grace. I can't imagine that was easy."

Ishita averted her eyes playfully, marveling at her husband's thoughtfulness. 

"How did you do it?" he asked. 

She shrugged in indifference. "I don't really have an answer to that, Raman. It's not like I didn't get jealous. It's just that... earlier in our marriage I didn't think I even had the right to do anything about it. Then later, when things started changing, I just trusted you enough to know she didn't make a difference. And whenever that trust wavered, you reinstated it until I couldn't even question it."

She scooched closer and kissed him on the lips, leaving the both of them breathless.

"I love you," she breathed. 

"I love you too." He gently tapped her nose. "Ishu."

Ishita pulled back, taken aback at him using her nickname for the first time. 

"Kya hua? Accha nahi laga?" he asked. 

"Aisi baat nahi hai. Accha toh tha lekin..." She bit her lip, lost in thought. It was sweet, but him addressing her with such a common nickname just didn't sit right with her. They deserved something unique, something special.

"Lekin?" he prodded.

"Aap mujhe madrasan aur Jhansi ki Rani bulaate hai na, woh zyada accha lagta hai."

Raman chuckled and pulled her closer, planting a kiss on her cheek. "All right meri Jhansi ki Rani."

"Can I ask you something?" Ishita asked, as he pulled back.

"Sure, go ahead." Raman burrowed closer into the pillow, his arm resting around her torso. 

"Do you believe in soulmates?"

"Achaanak yeh sawaal kyun?" he asked. 

"Renuka ma'am talked about it yesterday. When I spoke with her privately. She said she didn't believe in them. She doesn't think that two random people are destined to be together or anything. All that matters is that both people put in enough effort. I was just curious to know what you think about that."

Raman's fingers lazily grazed her spine. "I'm a romantic at heart, madrasan. Of course, I believe in soulmates. But I'm also practical. Even if you're destined to be with someone, it won't work until both people pull their weight." He threaded his fingers through her hair. "What do you think?"

"I believe in them too. For a while I didn't though. When Subbu dumped me, when I moved to Delhi. Even when we got married. My only love at that time was Ruhi."

"And then?"

"And then you happened. You came out of nowhere and swept me off my feet."

Overcome with shyness, she burrowed closer to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. Her nose pressed against his neck and she peppered him with kisses. Meanwhile, Raman squeezed her close to his chest and nuzzled her hair, pressing a kiss on the crown of her head. Suddenly, he flipped them over until Ishita was on her back and he towered over her. 

His lips descended on hers, as the clock struck midnight, and Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla gloriously rang in their honeymoon.

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update please update next part soon 

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Part 60

Absolutely fantastic!!!!β­οΈπŸ‘

I just love the way you are getting Raman and Ishita discussing issues together - the phone situation was brilliant!! I like that both of them had a civilised discussion and then also explained their decision to Adi and there he also understood reasons for their decision! πŸ‘πŸΌ

In the show I did not like the way Ishita talked to Vandu instead of Raman and then came up with the silly idea of cc cameras!!!! And the result was what ....... the usual insults from Raman!!!πŸ˜’

The way you create situations for Ishra to have some lovely romantics moments is fabulous!! Like the birthday party - the beautiful moment in the bathroom after washing Ruhi and Adi's hands - and incorporating the scene from the show when Raman turns her back to the mirror to show her the little mishap on her back - but you made it so much better by introducing romance in the moment - and awesomely ended it by Ishita kissing Raman - wow!!!❀️ and Raman getting bashful and maybe even almost blushing!!☺️

One of the best things I like in this story is how Raman is so supportive of her career and does not put her down all the time like in the show - I know he was proud of her and her career but always showed it indirectly but majority of time he was taunting her and always making fun and I felt that sometimes he went overboard!!! 

In your story, however he is totally supportive and here he helped her so much and no taunting at all - in the show he did not like to show his support directly  - always preferred taunting (ego I guess!!)

And I also love the way she also listens to him and takes his advise!! It kind of reminded me of the time on the show where they had swapped roles and he helped her a little with her presentation - again a little indirectly though!!!!

But I love the situation in your story which is much better - he is so encouraging and the way she read his thoughts!!!

Absolutely brilliant!! looking forward to lots of fun and romance during their "honeymoon"!!!!❀️❀️☺️☺️

Just going to read the next episode now yyyiiiipppeeeee!!!

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 62

Eden Botanical Gardens, Chennai – next day, Monday September 3rd, 10 am

"What is this place, madrasan?" Raman asked, curiously peering around at the green bushes and colorful flowers.

"This-" She waved around at the surroundings. "-is the Eden Garden. It used to be one of our favorite hangout spots. I used to come here with my friends all the time. Sometimes I came here with a book or two just to read on my own."

She led him through an expanse of ankle-high grass beyond the entrance to a stone path cutting through the grass. They walked down the path, fingers interlocked, as they surveyed the rest of the garden. Large patches of thick low grass spread around them, separated by evenly spaced, parallel walkways. Lush bushes with blossoming flowers lined the border of the garden along with a knee-high iron fence. 

They breathed in the fresh cool air as a light breeze blew against their face. Without the responsibilities of their everyday life occupying their mind, they felt extraordinarily light and carefree. 

Green was the color of the grass

Where I used to read at Centennial Park

I used to think I would meet somebody there

Their week-long honeymoon had just begun and they had lots of plans. Ishita had excitedly listed down every place she wanted to re-visit from her childhood. Raman had researched the top tourist places and happening night life of the city. By the law of the land however, his wife won the argument and they had 'unanimously' decided to begin with Ishita's choice of places. 

"You see that street?" Ishita pointed to a busy street beyond the border of the garden.

Raman nodded. 

"If you go down that street to the right-" She stretched onto her tiptoes to point at where the street went. "-then my school appears. Even further down is my college. A lot of us used to come here after class and hang out until the bus arrived. A couple times, we even came here for lunch..."

She recognized a cafΓ© at the edge of the road to her left and pointed there. "You see that cafΓ© there? Tropical CafΓ©? We used to buy ice cream and frozen yogurt there. One of my friends used to work for the manager so he always gave us discount on everything off the menu."

Teal was the color of your shirt

When you were sixteen at the yogurt shop

You used to work at to make a little money

"It feels weird to come back here after so many years..." Ishita mused.

She gazed around at the ever so familiar sight. The garden was still covered with the same green grass and blooming flowers. The streets around were still teeming with vehicles and chaos. Even the corner shops and restaraunts were the exact same, signs fading and paint scraping away. 

There was a time when her heart had been ripped to shreds and her life had shattered in this very place. Her entire life had turned upside down after that, but this city hadn't changed one bit. Everything remained the same in the grand scheme of the universe. A tiny laugh blew out of her. 

"Kya soch rahi ho?" Raman asked. 

"Just thinking how funnily time works," she replied. "Kitna sab kuch ho gaya peechle do saalon mein? Lekin duniya chalti gayi. Samay ka pahiya kabhi nahi ruka. Our own troubles seem so inconsequential under the grand scheme of things..."

Time, curious time

Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs

Were there clues I didn't see?

"Pata hai, jab mein Mumbai se ghar visit karne aata tha na, tab Delhi mein mujhe bhi aisa hi mehsoos hota tha," Raman joined. "Sab ke dil mein kuch na kuch tanhaayi ya takleef hogi, lekin pura sheher jaise us baat se anjaan tha." 

He chuckled as he continued, "Yahan tak ki mere ghar mein bhi jaise kuch nahi badla. Har saal meri income doguni, chauguni badhti gayi, lekin mummy-papa ne ghar ka naksha badalne nahi diya. Maine hazaar baar unhe kaha hoga ki bade bungalow mein shift ho jaao, ya kam se kam puraane flat ka renovation karwaa lo, lekin woh kabhi nahi maane. Wohi diwaare, wohi furniture, wohi photo frames... Sab kuch waise ka waisa tha."

Raman sighed as he shook his head lightly. 

"Mujhe itna khataktaa tha sab kuch ki ek waqt ke baad maine waapis jaana hi band kar diya," he revealed.

"Mujhme bhi Chennai waapis aane ki himmat nahi hoti, agar aap mere saath nahi hote." They turned to the left as the pathway curved around a tree. "Maine kabhi socha nahi tha, ki jis sheher mein apna bachpan bitaaya wahi par honeymoon manaaungi," she giggled.

"Funny stroke of luck?" Raman's head turned towards her and he wiggled his eyebrows.

Ishita shook her head. "I like to think it was fated to happen."

And isn't it just so pretty to think

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

They walked like that, hand in hand, talking about everything under the sun. No topic was foreign. Even when conversation ran out, they were content to walk in comfortable silence. Two hours passed by easily, and they didn't even realize it.

"Raman, it's past noon now. What's the plan for lunch?" Ishita asked. 

"Tum bataao?" Raman retorted. "Tumhara sheher hai na? What's the best place to eat here?" 

Ishita chewed her lip as a tentative plan formed in her mind. "Ek authentic Tamilian restaurant hai thodi door. Lunch ke liye wahaan chalte hai. Phir shaam ko we'll go to Dakshina Chitra Heritage Museum."

Raman rolled his eyes. "Madrasan, hum log honeymoon par aaye hai, school trip par nahi. Museum mein jaana zaroori hai kya?"

"Jee haan." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Is museum mein jaana bahot zaroori hai. Aap ek baar bol rahe the na, 'mere liye Goa ke neeche sab south hai? Sab idli khaate hai, sirf chutney badalti hai?'"

Raman nodded sheepishly, as he recalled his words from one of their earlier fights. 

"That's why you have to visit this museum. It showcases the distinct culture of all the different South Indian states... Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala..."

Time, mystical time

Cuttin' me open, then healin' me fine

Were there clues I didn't see?

"Rickshaw!" Raman yelled abruptly, halting Ishita's monologue before it turned into a lecture. He may not have a choice in visiting the museum, but that didn't mean he had to listen about it before hand.

They had arrived at the street outside the gate, and Raman yelled for a rickshaw again before one stopped before them.

"Kahan jaana hai sir?" the driver asked. 

"Bataayiye madam." Raman gestured towards Ishita before climbing in. 

"Aapko pata hai 'Chennai Food Palace' kahan hai? Downtown central ke paas?" she asked. 

"Jee madam."

The rickshaw driver nodded and reset the meter as Ishita climbed in beside her husband. The rickshaw jerked forward and they headed to their destination, occasionally bouncing from the bumps and potholes in the way.

"So, as I was saying, about the heritage of South India-"

"Madrasan!" Raman stopped his wife before she could continue. "Look, why don't you save this lecture for when we actually get to the museum? Tab tak thodi shaanti se baith. Kitna bolti hai yaar?" 

"Agar chup-chaap rehne wali biwi chaahiye thi toh kisi TV serial se pakadte le aate? Mujhse shaadi kyun ki?"

"Mere paas choice thodi thi? Ab jo hona tha... so ho gaya..." he sighed and leaned back, feigning regret.

Ishita smirked, recognizing her husband's playful mood. "Baat toh sahi hai. Humein toh kismat ne saath mein baandh diya. Warna hum dono ne ek doosre ko kabhi pasand hi nahi kiya..."

"Kabhi bhi pasand nahi kiya?" Raman raised a suspicious eyebrow.

Ishita nodded. 

His expression faltered momentarily, and she leaned in closer to whisper in his ear, "Humaari mohabbat ke liye 'pasand' bahot chota shabd hai, Raman. Words can't describe how head over heels for you I am."

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

Shri Ashtalakshmi Temple, Chennai – two days later, Wednesday, 5 pm

Ishita adjusted her dupatta around her shoulders, draping it across her chest, as she climbed the steps of the temple. Raman followed her up the stairs after removing his shoes, dressed in casual trousers and a polo t-shirt. This temple dedicated to the eight forms of Mata Lakshmi was the last site on Ishita's list that she wanted to show Raman. 

They arrived in the main sanctum sanctorum on the second level and folded their hands in front of the idol of Lord Vishnu and Mata Lakshmi. Since it was a weekday, the temple was minimally crowded, allowing them to approach the front easily. Standing side by side, they closed their eyes and bowed their heads.

Ishita had been here a few times before moving to Delhi. She had prayed for a smooth wedding with Subbu. She had asked for strength to be able to please Devyani. She had even cried after her broken nuptials, angry at the gods for not letting anything work in her favor. 

A string that pulled me

Out of all the wrong arms right into that dive bar

Something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire

She had the sudden urge to boink herself on the back of the head for her foolishness. Instead, she lowered her head as she prayed. 

Hey Bhagwaan, aapki leela aparampaar hai. Aapne aaj meri zindagi mein itni khushiyaan bhar di hai, ki ab aapse kuch bhi maangna baaki nahi raha. Bas itna hi maang sakti hoon ke aap Raman, Adi, Ruhi, aur mere pure parivaar ko khush rakhna. Sab par apni kripa banaaye rakhna, prabhu.

Raman sneaked a covert glance at his wife before facing the idol. Out of his entire family, he was probably the least religious, which was saying something. There was a time in his life when he had lost all faith in prayer and hope. When his demons had roared to life, leaving him to brave the elements alone. But not anymore. 

Hey Maata Rani, Hey Naarayan, mujhe Ishita jaisa jeevansathi dene ke liye aapko jitna dhanyawaad karu utna kam hai. Aur kuch waqt ke liye, aap par se jo vishwaas uth gaya tha, uske liye jitna maafi maangu utna bhi kam hai. Aaj samajh aa raha hai ki jeevan mein jo hua woh kyun hua. Bas itni kripa karna ki ab mere parivaar par koi aanch na aaye.

Chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons

One single thread of gold tied me to you

After one last bow to the idol, they lifted their heads and lowered their hands. The priest came forward and placed in their right palm a handful of almonds, cashews, pistachios, and crystallized sugar lumps as prasad (holy offering). 

"Make sure you visit the rest of the levels of the temple," the priest suggested. "The eight forms of Maata Lakshmi and ten incarnations Lord Naraayan are in separate sanctums."

"Sure panditji." Ishita and Raman reverentially ate the prasad before nodding and leaving the sanctum. 

As suggested, they headed to the other levels to pay their respects to the rest of the idols. As they walked throughout the temple between each level, Raman gazed at the architecture, marveling the fine handiwork and bright colors. 

"Wow madrasan, I finally get why your Amma is so proud of South Indian culture. This architecture is just... breathtaking," he sighed. 

"I know, right?" She joined him in his awe of the temple. "As kids, Amma made sure to bring us to one of the city's temples every week. Even if it was a local one. Sometimes she had to drag Mihika out of the house, but she brought us nonetheless. I think that's why I'm so religious today."

Cold was the steel of my axe to grind

For the boys who broke my heart

Now I send their babies presents

The final idol was in the topmost shrine at the fourth level. The footfall there – and therefore noise – was lower than that in the main sanctum, allowing them to pay their respects in peace. After a final bow to Mata Dhanalakshmi, Raman recommenced his surveyal of the intricate architecture. Amidst his surveillance, he heard distant ocean waves echo inside the temple complex. 

"Do you hear that Ishita?" he asked, as he heard his wife approach. 

"The ocean?"

Raman nodded. 

"Yeah. Sometimes Appa used to bribe us with visits to the beach to get us to come to the temple," she chuckled. "Do you want to go there now? I think Elliot beach is closeby."

"Not right now. It's getting dark out. Let's go tomorrow. We can spend the entire day there. Abhi kuch dinner ka bandobast karte hai."

"All right then. If I remember correctly, I think there's a nice restaurant not far from here."

They exited the shrine and descended the steps. 

"What's the menu like at this restaurant?" Raman asked, as he put on his shoes, a spark of hope flickering in his eyes.

Ishita smiled. "Don't worry. Punjabi, Madrasi, veg, non-veg, sab kuch hai menu par. Aap pet bhar ke chicken aur mutton kha sakte ho." 

She adjusted the strap of her sandal and fixed her dupatta that had slid off her shoulder. 

"Oh thank god...!" Raman sighed with relief. 

Gold was the color of the leaves

When I showed you around Centennial Park

Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven

They called a rickshaw and set off, as Ishita gave directions as best she could. The maps and roads of Chennai were fading from her memory, and she was grateful that the rickshaw driver knew the street where they were heading towards. They arrived at their destination in twenty minutes. 

Once they entered the restaurant, they were seated at a corner table in less than ten minutes. Their orders arrived just as quickly, thanks to the thin crowd: Raman's chicken biryani, mutton curry, and tandoori roti, and Ishita's veg kothu parotta, and kadala curry accompanied with cucumber raita.

The aroma of spices diffused through the air, and instrumental ballads resonated through the walls. The evening passed by in good spirits as Ishita and Raman savored their dinner. 

Time, wondrous time

Gave me the blues and then purple pink skies

And it's cool, baby, with me

All along there was some

Invisible string

Tying you to me?

https://youtu.be/OuFnpmGwg5k   

Elliot Beach – next day, Thursday, 11 am

"Harder, Raman."

"No. Any more pressure and it'll hurt you."

"I don't care. I need this life jacket to be as tight as possible."

"Madrasan, every single strap is buckled and double tied. You'll be fine. If I tighten the binds any more, you'll have trouble breathing."

Raman checked the belts on the back of Ishita's red life jacket one last time before she turned around, fiddling with the straps. He swatted her hands away and gripped her shoulders. 

"Why are you so nervous? Tumko adventure se dar kab se lagne laga?" he asked. 

Ishita shrugged his hands off her and pouted. "Samandar ke beech mein adventure karne se koi bhi normal insaan daregaa. Aap pata nahi kis grah ke hai. Yahin sab cheezein bucket list mein daalne ki zaroorat thi aapko?"

Raman chuckled at his wife. She looked absolutely delectable in black tights and a blue swim shirt, an adorable pout on her lips. She had been this irritated since their arrival at the beach, when he had dropped the bombshell. While she had been expecting a relaxing day at the shore amongst crashing waves, her husband had gone off and signed them up for his choice of adventure water sports. So now, they were standing at the dock, putting on life jackets, waiting for their turn on the jetski.

"It'll be fine Ishita. We've taken all the necessary precautions," he assured her. "And I've even taken a boat safety course before."

"Yeh lijiye sir." The boat attendant beckoned them forward as a jet ski became available. "Aa jayiye aap log. Waise hi chadhna hai jaise scooter ya bike par chadhte hai."

Raman stepped forward and swung his leg over the neon seat. His grey swim trunks rode up his knees as he adjusted his position on the seat, and his muscles rippled beneath his white sports tank top and red life jacket as he gripped the handles. 

"Aaja madrasan, kuch nahi hoga!" he called out, once he was comfortable on the jet ski.

Ishita blew out a rough breath before stepping off the dock and sitting behind her husband. She adjusted her stance behind him before bringing her arms around his waist and pressing her chin into his shoulder, holding tight. 

"You ready?" Raman asked over his shoulder.

"I'll never be ready for this..." she breathed. "Raman, I swear to god, if I die in the middle of the ocean, I will haunt you for the rest of your life."

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. It was a joke, but even the thought of her dying turned his blood to ice. He shook his head to rid himself of such rubbish thoughts.

"Oh really? Matlab marne ke baad bhi peecha nahi chodogi?" he chuckled, hiding the quiver in his voice.

"Bilkul nahi. Bhoot bankar aapke peeche padi rahungi."

"Abhi bhi kisi bhoot se kam thodi ho..."

Ishita nudged him in the back with her chin as he twisted the handles of the jet ski and turned on the engine. 

"Ready to go?!" Raman asked. 

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Hold on!"

Ishita's arms around his waist tightened and they set off. Their jet ski zipped through the water, creating white waves and leaving a line of sea foam behind them. Salt air whipped through their hair, rippling their clothes, and seagulls echoed overhead. 

Raman reveled in the cool salty wind and the feel of his wife's arms around his waist. If there was heaven on earth, this had to be it. 

Ishita pressed closer to her husband, even as she lifted her head to enjoy the sea breeze and cool splashes of water against her legs. 

After ten minutes in heaven, they had to regretfully return to the dock. They climbed off the jet ski and almost jogged from the dock, adrenaline still pumping in their veins. 

"Oh my god..." Ishita panted. "That was amazing!"

"Dekha! Kahan tha na maine mazaa aayega!" Raman beamed. 

"What's next on the list?"

The next couple hours were spent on various water sports: parasailing, kayaking, and even simple freestyle swimming. It wasn't until past two pm that they emerged from the water, famished and exhausted. After taking a minute to wash up and dry their clothes, they found a street-side stall by the far end of the beach to satisfy their hunger.

"What is this?" Raman asked, peering curiously at the banana leaf in his hand. It held a white noodle-like substance with dollops of white, red, and green chutney on the side.

"That is idiyappam. It's a version of South Indian seviyaan, but salty," Ishita explained. "And here I have murrukku sandwich." She showed her own banana leaf with stacks of murrukku covered in chutney, cucumber slices, and tomato pieces. "It's a very popular street food here."

They walked along the shore, eating from their own and the other's plate (or leaf rather). Sand crunched beneath their toes and sea waves washed over their feet.

"Raman, what else is on your bucket list? Besides adventure sports?" Ishita initiated a conversation.

"I haven't really made a list." Raman took of bite of murrukku. "I want to go skiing in Europe somewhere. Maybe the Swiss Alps? I love snow... Our next trip should be somewhere out of India. We'll take Ruhi and Adi with us too."

"That sounds great." Ishita dipped a piece of idiyappam in chutney and chewed.

"And the next beach we visit should be somewhere in the Pacific, where we can go snorkeling or scuba-diving with aquatic life. Like Indonesia or Hawaii," he mused. "What about you? You must have a bucket list too, right?"

Ishita threw their empty banana leaves in a nearby trash can as they continued walking. 

"I don't have a list per se..." she began. "But there are a couple wishes I've had. That I haven't told anyone else."

"Oh I'm intrigued now." Raman slung his arm over her shoulder and trained his eyes on her. "Spill madrasan."

Ishita sighed and pressed her lips together to avoid smiling. "Well for one thing... I want a tattoo one day."

Raman's eyebrows shot up.

"Not anything big or scandalous of course," she was quick to add. "Maybe a nice quote on my wrist or a heart on my ankle. I'm not sure."

"What else?"

"I um... I've always wanted to visit a night club one day," she revealed. "All my friends have been to one but Amma would never have allowed us. And I don't think I would've had the courage to go either. Have you ever been in one?"

"Yeah I have. Maa wouldn't have let me either, but I went with a few friends once for a party. We even held Neil's bachelor party at a bar."

The stretch of sand beneath their feet began morphing into a rocky terrain with waves splashing against the boulders. They ended their walk and sat down in the sand, toes touching the water. 

"How did that go over with Trisha?" Ishita asked, stretching her legs out in front of her.

"Not well," Raman chuckled. "I heard she almost didn't show up for the sangeet."

"You heard?" Her eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"Yeah... I um... I didn't attend all the functions. I made a quick appearance for the actual wedding, but nothing else. The bachelor party was the only one I stayed for because... alcohol," he sighed ruefully.

He dropped his head and shoulders into his wife's lap, twisting his body to lie down and look up at her. Ishita combed her fingers through his soft hair and ran her nails across his scalp, and he sighed in pleasure.

Their conversation continued until the brightness of the sun softened and dusk approached. The ocean waves turned stronger as the sun set, inching up to Ishita's knees instead of toes. 

"...and then mummy freaked out, you know?" Raman said as he detailed one of his old memories. "It was Adi's first Holi, and she found him putting color in his mouth instead of people's faces. She got so mad on Shagun that day. Thank god the colors were organic and harmless."

Ishita laughed at the image forming in her head, the mention of Shagun no longer bothering her.

"I remember Ruhi's first Holi with me," she added. "Usne Shravu ke saath pura ghar sar par utha liya tha. Kabhi Shravu uske hair pull karta tha toh kabhi Ruhi us par pichkaari se paani daalti thi. Din khatam hote hote mera aur akka ka sar bhaari ho gaya tha."

Raman chuckled aloud. Just then, a particularly strong wave washed up the shore, going past Ishita's knees and up her thighs. Unfortunately, that meant water splashed onto Raman's face who was lying in her lap. His laugh stopped abruptly as he spluttered and coughed from the force of salt water entering his nose and throat. 

He sat up and coughed violently, struggling to breathe. On the other hand, Ishita struggled to contain her giggles at the sight. 

"Are you laughing at me?!" Raman gasped, running a palm down his wet face.

"Sorry... sorry Raman... I just couldn't..." she managed to say between bouts of laughter.

"Oh you'll regret this." 

Before Ishita could process his threat, a startled yelp flew out of her as she found herself hauled over his shoulder. 

"Raman! What are you doing?!" she shrieked, as he walked into the sea.

She received her answer when he dropped her into the water, causing her to cough and splutter and him to laugh. Before he could relish the exchange of power however, he felt a jerk on his arm as Ishita pulled him down into the water. 

They splashed around in water until the sun disappeared and the water turned chilly. As night fell, they returned to their hotel to shower and have dinner. 

"I'll go shower first okay?" Ishita said as she locked the door of their hotel room.

"Absolutely not. By the time you finish, I'll freeze to death," Raman replied. 

The goosebumps on Ishita's skin multiplied at her husband mentioning his death. He didn't even mean it literally, but still... terror crawled beneath her skin.

"I'll be quick, I promise," she insisted, shaking her goosebumps away.

Raman turned up the temperature dial and peeled his shirt off. 

"Actually, I have a better idea," he said in a low, husky voice.

Before she could see the smirk in his eye, she found herself pulled into the bathroom. The lock clicked shut, warm water sprayed from the showerhead, and that was all she wrote.

Meanwhile @ The Labor and Delivery Ward in Delhi City Hospital – 9 pm

"Come on Vandu, let's go home for now."

"No Bala. I'm not leaving."

Bala chewed his lip and the labor nurse sighed as Vandu refused to leave the bed. Dealing with pregnant women was never easy, but this one was more difficult than expected.

"Vandita ji, your water hasn't broken yet," the nurse explained again. "Your baby isn't coming today either. Just like it wasn't coming yesterday."

"But today, I'm actually in labor. It's not Braxton Hicks like yesterday," Vandu argued. 

"But your water hasn't broken yet," the nurse repeated. 

"Vandu, they need this room for other laboring moms," Bala tried to explain. 

"I am in labor!" Vandu shrieked. "It's early labor, but still! We live on the other side of town, Bala. We're not going home only to drive back in the middle of the night after my water breaks!"

Bala couldn't argue. He himself didn't want to leave the hospital at this late hour. The fact that it was Vandu's second pregnancy meant that labor would progress quickly. Chances were, they would have to come back as soon as they reached home.

"Vandita ji-"

"I'm won't listen to anything from you!" Vandu stopped the nurse from repeating her memorized jargon. "Go get the OB/GYN! I'm not leaving until the doctor tells me to!"

Unable to go against the force of nature that Vandu was, the nurse scampered out of the room. Vandu's face screwed up in anger and discomfort as another contraction began.

"Ooofff..." she groaned.

In the next minute, Bala was at her side. "Are the contractions too painful?" he asked. 

"Not yet. They're just uncomfortable."

"Come here, let's practice our breathing exercises."

She leaned forward and Bala rubbed her back, both of them breathing in and out rhythmically. The contraction passed and she slumped back, sweat beading on her brow. 

"I'm so proud of you Vandu," Bala said, wiping her forehead with a towel. "I'm right here, all right? If you need anything, just say the word."

Despite the discomfort and pain shooting through her belly, Vandu smiled. "You're too sweet Bala," she sighed.

The door of the private suite opened and the nurse returned with the OB. 

"Hi Vandita." The doctor slung his stethoscope around his neck. "How's it going?"

"Doctor, I'm not leaving until I have my baby." She dragged her feet to the floor and stood up. "I've been sent back twice because of false labor. I'm not going back again."

"But Vandita-"

"I swear to god, if you say anything about my water not breaking, I will rip your head off," she growled.

The doctor struggled to hold back a laugh. He was all too familiar with the wrath of laboring moms. "Vandita," he continued with professional patience. "I'm trying to say your water just broke. Look."

Vandu looked down and gasped. In her annoyance, she hadn't realized that amniotic fluid had been leaking down her legs. 

"It's time now. Get ready mommy," the doctor beamed.

A few hours later, midnight

Vandu spread her legs and bounced on the birthing ball, as Bala rubbed her back and fed her ice chips. The doctor stood up from between her legs after finishing his exam and peeled off his medical gloves. 

"You're almost halfway there, Vandita," he said as he discarded his gloves in the trash. "Four and a half centimeters dilated."

"Does that mean I can have an epidural now?" she asked. 

"Yes, I'll send the anethesiologist ASAP." He scribbled a note in her chart before walking out. "You're doing good, mom. Keep it up!"

Another contraction tore through her, and she squeezed Bala's hand. He could almost hear his knuckles crack.

"Is the pain getting worse?" Bala asked, lines of concern appearing on his forehead. 

Vandu bit her lip and nodded painfully. "Distract me. When is Amma getting here?"

"I called Amma about an hour ago. She and Appa were in Noida for a function, but they left as soon as I called. They should be here in half an hour tops."

"I see.... Ooouuch... What about Shravu?"

"He's staying with Ruhi and Adi at the Bhalla House."

"Three kids in one house? Without Raman and Ishu there?"

"Don't worry. Mihir and Mihika are there to help out. They'll even stay for the weekend if need be."

A knock echoed through the door before it sprung open. The anesthesiologist walked in. 

"I hear someone needs an epidural huh?" he drawled.

"Oh thank god you're here..." Vandu sighed. 

As soon as the epidural was administered, a wave of relief washed over her. 

"Thank you Murugan..." she sighed.

A few more hours later, dawn

"It's time Vandita. Come on. Push!" the doctor urged. 

Vandu groaned as she pushed with all her might. Her mother gripped her hand beside her, soothing her with encouraging words. 

"Yes kanna... You can do it..." Madhu coaxed. 

Outside the delivery room, Bala paced back and forth, anxiety crawling up throat. Madhu had insisted she accompany Vandu during her delivery, and being the obedient son-in-law that he was, he had obliged hoping his wife would be comfortable with her mother. But as the seconds ticked by and Vandu's cries of pain reached his ears, his own panic increased. 

"Don't worry Bala. Sab kuch thik hoga," Vishwa assured. "Tum bhagwaan par bharosa rakho."

An excrutiatingly long wait later, the cries of a newborn echoed around the halls and Bala's head shot up in joy. The door creaked open and Madhu arrived with a wide smile on her face.

"Aiyyo beti hui hai!" she squealed with joy. 

The tension lifted from the air, as Vandu, Bala, Madhu, and Vishwa were on cloud nine.

Bala and Vishwa entered the room once Vandu was cleaned and ready, a tiny pink bundle of joy in her arms. Bala approached his wife, awe etched on his face. He had been through this before but the miracle of life was still just as mesmerizing. Vandu tore her loving gaze away from her daughter and looked to her husband. 

"Here. Hold her," she offered. 

Bala nodded and gently held his baby, a brick of emotion jamming his throat. "Hi baby," he managed to say. "Welcome to the family. Thank you for choosing me as your Appa." His gaze traveled from his newborn girl to his wife. "Thank you Vandu. Thank you so much," he whispered.

Sunstar Hotel, Chennai – next day, Saturday, September 8th, 9 pm

"Congratulations Akka!" Ishita exclaimed into her phone. "Aap kaise ho? Baby kaisi hai?" 

"Hum dono bilkul thik hai, Ishu." Vandu's voice resonated from the phone on speaker mode. "Bas tum dono ko inform karne ke liye phone kiya tha."

"I feel so bad akka... Aap ki delivery ho gayi aur main nahi thi wahan par."

"Aisa mat soch Ishu. Waise bhi yahan hospital mein zyada log allowed nahi hai. Amma, Appa, aur Shravu ke sivaa koi nahi aaya hai. Hum do-teen din mein ghar pahoch jaayenge, phir tum milne aana. Tab tak toh tum dono bhi waapis aa jaaoge na?"

"Haan, hum log kal waapis aa rahe hai. Aap acche se rest karo, thik hai?"

"Thik hai."

"Waise Vandu," Raman chimed in. "Tum log delivery ke baad waapis apne ghar jaaoge kya? Will you and Bala be okay handling the baby and Shravu alone?"

"Actually hum log hospital se Amma ke ghar jaayenge. Kuch din tak wahin rahenge. Aise unki help bhi rahegi, aur zyada madad chahiye hogi toh Ishu ya Miku ko bula lungi."

"Chalo thik hai. Yeh accha socha tumne."

"Okay, toh main phone rakhti hoon. Bas tum dono ko khushkhabari dene ke liye phone kiya tha. Enjoy the rest of your honeymoon, okay?"

"We will, akka," Ishita said. "You take care of yourself and the baby, okay?"

"Congratulations once again, Vandu!" Raman said, before the call hung up. 

Ishita set her phone inside her clutch purse and snapped it shut. They had received the good news of their niece's birth on the family group chat this morning and had been waiting for an opportunity to call and congratulate the happy parents. 

Now that that was out of the way, they had one last outing of their honeymoon left. This time, they were crossing something off Ishita's bucket list. 

"I'll just go change, okay?" she said. "Then we can leave."

Raman nodded at her. Fifteen minutes later, she emerged from the bathroom with fresh makeup and a new dress, her torso covered with a thick shawl. 

"Are you wearing this shawl?" Raman asked. "I thought you bought a dress this morning."

"I did. I'm just wearing this shawl over the dress until we get there," she clarified. 

As they walked out of their room and headed to the lobby, Ishita asked a question that had been bothering her ever since she bought the dress.

"Raman, are you sure you're okay with me wearing this?" she whispered. "I mean... there's going to be a bit of skin show once I take the shawl off."

Raman turned his head towards her. "The real question is, are you okay with it? It all depends on your comfort level."

"I'm fine actually. I mean, the family isn't here. It's just you, right? So it's okay. And the dress fits me very well. I'm just surprised you're okay with it."

She recalled his show of possessiveness when she had seen her smiling at Subbu. When she had joked about other men finding her attractive.

"I'm totally fine with it," he chuckled. "Mujhe bhi logo ko dikhana hai ki meri biwi kitni hot hai."

Her mouth fell open in a shy grin.

"Aur waise bhi," he continued. "Agar kisi kameene ne koi ulti-seedhi harkat ki, toh main hoon na? Uski haddiyaan tod dunga."

Her grin transformed into a laugh. 

They exited the lobby and headed to their destination.

Dazzle Disco Nightclub, Chennai – 9:30 pm

"One old-fashioned please." Raman ordered a drink at the bar and sat down on a stool, adjusting his cufflinks on his checkered button-up shirt. 

The nightclub was lively and upbeat. The latest pop songs reverberated through the club, and the growing weekend crowd danced on the neon-lighted dance floor. 

"Here's your old-fashioned sir." The bartender slid his drink across the bar which Raman caught in one fluid movement. He sipped on the whiskey cocktail, eyes traveling across the club, taking in the scene.

A pair of heels clicked to his left and his head turned at the sound. When his eyes focused on the figure who had approached, his sight tunneled and the world went momentarily soundless. The woman in front of him was a vision to behold.

See you in the dark

All eyes on you, my magician

All eyes on us

The woman was clad in a knee-length cowl neck dress with a deep v-cut neckline and spaghetti straps at her shoulders. Her jet black hair flowed down her back, and rose gold sequins sparkled all over her dress, magnified by the lights shining on her. But none of the light reflecting off her glittery dress could compete with the sparkle in her eyes.

"One cherry mojito mocktail," she said to the bartender. "Non-alcoholic please." 

Raman sighed. Her voice was a bewitching siren song, one that could lure sailors to their doom.

"Here you go miss." The bartender handed her a glass of red mocktail before turning to the other customers.

Raman saw the woman take a tiny sip, her parting lips just as red as the cherries in her drink. She sighed in pleasure as she drank, and a silent moan erupted deep in his throat. He had barely laid his eyes on her for a minute, and she was already his undoing.

You make everyone disappear, and

Cut me into pieces

His heart raced as the goddess turned towards him, catching him staring at her out of the corner of her eye. He made no effort to look away however, choosing to sip his drink without breaking eye contact. A tiny smile crept up her lips which she subtly wiped off under the guise of taking of sip of her mocktail.

Raman slipped off his stool and swirled his drink, as he walked towards her, drawn to her like a moth to a flame. But before he could approach her, she turned around, sauntering off to a table at the other end of the club. As disheartened as he was, he was also determined. Determined to make her his.

Gold cage, hostage to my feelings

Back against the wall

Trippin', trip-trippin' when you're gone

Ishita slid onto a metal chair at the far end of the club, crossing one leg over the other. Her drink was refreshing, a perfect mix of cherries, lime, and mint. She took another sip, while tapping her foot with the rhythm of the music. Even so, her mind remained fixed on the man she had seen at the bar. 

She closed her eyes, recalling his suave form that had been imprinted behind her eyelids. He sat lazily at the bar, leaning on the counter with his elbow, his feet crossed at the ankle. An air of masculine charm and pride oozed from him, bordering on smugness, making him infinitely more attractive.

He was defined by sharp clean lines, dressed in a crisp checkered shirt and bold black pants. But none of his debonair personality or attire could match with the intensity in his eyes. She had only managed to see them out of the corner of her eye, and the fleeting moment of eye contact had heat igniting in her being.

'Cause we breakdown a little

But when you get me alone, it's so simple

'Cause baby, I know what you know

We can feel it

She took a deep breath before opening her eyes, only to be taken aback at the same man approaching her table. 

"Is this seat taken?" he asked, pointing to the empty chair across her. His husky voice sent shivers down her spine.

"No, it's not," she replied. 

He swiped the chair out and sat down smoothly, leaning back and swirling his drink. 

"I didn't say you could sit here," Ishita pointed out. "What if I have friends joining me?"

"What you rather I leave?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. 

It was on the tip of her tongue to say no, but her pride stood in the way. She couldn't come across as desperate. Rather than answer his question, she brought her glass to her lips and averted her eyes. Even so, she caught the smirk that appeared on his lips. 

"I'm Raman Bhalla," he said without any prompting. "Just in case you need a name to write about the love of your life in your diary at night."

Ishita rolled her eyes. "Bold of you to assume I haven't already found the love of my life."

"I know you have. It's me."

And all the pieces fall

Right into place

Getting caught up in a moment

Lipstick on your face

"I'm Ishita then," she answered. "In case you need a name for the woman that haunts you in your dreams."

"Duly noted."

"I haven't seen you in this city before, Raman," she said. "What brings you here?"

"I'm looking for an answer to a mystery."

"What's that?"

"A crime has been committed. And I've heard that going back to the scene where the crime began helps to solve it."

"Would you care to share it with me? I know this city inside out. I could help you."

"Actually, I need to share it with you. You're the only one who can help me out."

He inched his hand forward and trailed his fingers over her knuckles, pleased to see goosebumps erupting up her arms.

So it goes

I'm yours to keep

And I'm yours to lose

"Would you be able to help me out?" he asked. 

Ishita raised an eyebrow in thought, as she sucked on a cherry from her drink. She swirled her tongue around it before drawing it into her mouth and chewing. The brief action elicited a low hiss from between Raman's teeth, and she smiled in satisfaction.

"Before I decide that, what can you give me in return?" she negotiated after swallowing.

"Anything you want," he smiled. "Just name it."

"Dance with me."

Raman's eyebrows shot up in pleasant surprise. No woman had ever been that direct with him. 

"Why dance?" he asked.

"Well... you know what they say about men who can dance..." Ishita leaned forward and whispered in his ear, "They make the best lovers."

You know I'm not a bad girl

But I do bad things with you

So it goes

Before his eyes popped out of their sockets, she grasped his hand and pulled him up, dragging him to the dance floor. The music changed from an upbeat pop number to a slow sensual ballad just in time for her to grip his shoulders and for him to snake his hands around her waist. They swayed to the music, eyes locked and movements in sync. 

The music changed and songs played but their attention was locked on each other. It could've minutes or hours when Raman asked, "So... what's the verdict?"

"About?" Ishita asked.

"My dancing skills."

The corners of her lips crept upwards. "Not bad I suppose... Rhythm, check. Stamina, check. Confidence, check." She lowered her voice before continued. "Passion, check."

"Does that mean you'll help me."

"Yes, it does. What is this crime you're trying to solve?"

He pulled her closer by the waist until her soft feminine curves were lined up with his hard masculine planes. He tucked her hair behind her ear and whispered close, his breath fanning her face.

"My heart has been stolen. And I believe you're the culprit."

I make all your gray days clear and

Wear you like a necklace

A wide grin appeared on her lips and a rose blush crept up her cheeks. "Well then... what can I do for you in that case?" she gulped.

"Since you've stolen my heart, I think it's only fair that I get yours. What do you think?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"But I don't know anything about you. How can I give you my heart just like that?"

"You know I'm a great dancer, right?"

Ishita nodded. 

"And you know what they say about men who can dance, right?" He grazed his thumb against the dip of her spine over her dress. "They make the best lovers."

She sucked in a sharp breath when he repeated her earlier words back to her. He had her heart, her soul, her everything. But she wasn't ready to end this game so soon.

"They also say never to trust a man who can dance, Mr. Bhalla. Because that means they've been with more than one woman," she retorted. "How do I know you'll stay loyal to me?"

I'm so chill, but you make me jealous

But I got your heart

Skippin', skip-skippin' when I'm gone

He twirled her around until her back lined up with his chest, his arms caging her like steel bands. He swiped her hair over one shoulder and rested his chin on the other. 

"There's no other woman, Ishita. I promise," he said, even as they swayed to the music. "It's only you. It's always been you."

"Prove it."

"No other woman but you can get my heart racing. No other woman but you can capture my mind. No other woman but you can ensnare my senses." He turned her around and held her flush against his chest until their breath intermingled. "I don't care if there's a prettier or younger woman out there. Because she'll never be you."

She lifted her eyebrows, peering into his eyes with all the love in her heart. His eyes that were a window into his soul. His soul that was full of love and loyalty and devotion. 

"So... can I have your heart?" he asked again. 

Ishita locked her hands behind his neck. "Yes. My heart is yours, Raman. I love you."

"I love you too Ishita. I love you too..."

Their foreheads touched and and eyes locked. Raman carressed her cheek lightly and Ishita smiled, their hearts inundated with love.

Come here, dressed in black now

So, so, so it goes

Scratches down your back now

So, so, so it goes

Meanwhile @ Luxury Heights, Chennai – 9:30 pm

Ragini reread the message from her father for nth time, drawing strength and courage from the single constant pillar of support from her life. 

Take whatever decision you feel is best for yourself, beta. I will be here to support you. 

No matter what part of the world you live in, always know that your father's doors are open for you. At anytime.

She took a deep shaky breath. Today was the day. She had to take the brave step. If not for herself, then for her son. 

She looked up as she heard soft footsteps approach the sofa. Her darling toddler son waddled forward with unsteady steps. He faltered at the last step and his mother swiftly caught him, lifting him into her lap. 

"Amma," he babbled. "Teddy." He waved the pink teddy bear in his hand, excitedly shoving it in her face. 

"Bahot pyaara teddy hai, Varun," she cooed. "Jao... aap khelo." 

Ragini lifted him off her lap and deposited him in the play corner they had built for him. It was full of race cars and monster trucks and dinosaurs. But his hands were full of the pink teddy bear and his cousin's borrowed Barbie doll. 

Ragini sighed and returned to the couch. Her vantage point allowed her to keep an eye on her son while also wait for the door to open for when Subbu returned home. Today was going to be a tough day. But she had no other choice. 

The door clicked open at the next minute and Subbu walked in. He slumped down in the armchair and Ragini stood up, her routine perfected after almost two years of marriage. She filled a glass of water and handed it to him, which he gulped down and handed back.

"Dinner karna hai?" she asked, short and succint, as she placed the empty glass in the kitchen sink.

"Nahin. Doston ke saath dinner kar liya," he replied. 

Ragini sighed in frustration. "You could've told me. At least sent a message."

"Why?"

"Varun was being extra fussy today. God only knows how I managed to make dinner with him clinging to me. If you would've told me, I could've saved myself the trouble of cooking."

Subbu's head turned towards her abruptly. "How much trouble could it be to cook one meal, Ragini? Don't me dramatic. And where is Amma? She could've looked after Varun."

"She's gone to her sister's place for the day." Thank god, Ragini thought. Otherwise she would never be able to broach this subject with her husband.

Speaking of which, it was high time she ripped off the band-aid. She took in a deep breath and walked back to the living room, resuming her place on the sofa. 

"Subbu, we need to talk." She kept her voice as stern as possible.

"Hmm... bolo," he said, scrolling through his phone. 

"Just put your phone away and look at me for once!" she hissed. 

The tone of her voice surprised Subbu. He pocketed his phone and nodded at her. "Bolo."

"I'm going back to my appa's house. And I'm taking Varun with me," she declared. 

"Excuse me?!" 

"You heard me. I'm leaving."

"For how long?"

"Forever."

His eyes widened in shock. "What?! Why?!" he yelled, shooting up from the armchair.

Ragini's heart thudded in anxiety. It's okay, Ragini. This is what you have to do. Be strong.

She stood up and faced her husband, stubborn and unwavering. "I just can't take it anymore. This place... this house suffocates me. I just can't stay here. I can't stay married to you."

Subbu's eyebrows scrunched up in genuine confusion. This was all so sudden. He couldn't wrap his head around it.

"I don't get it."

She didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his obliviousness. "Subbu, I used to be one of the top up and coming engineers at my firm. I had a voice of my own, an identity of my own. Ever since I got married to you, I lost myself. I can't live like this anymore."

"Are you serious? This is because you can't work? I thought your priority was taking care of Varun. We decided you can start working once he starts school."

"No Subbu! We never decided that." She pointed between herself and him. "You and your mother decided it and simply told me. Do you even know how it's been taking care of a baby on my own? When Amma is harping at me for not having done the dishes or not making prasad right? How do you think I've been dealing with this without any help from you?"

"You think I don't help?!" he yelled. "I earn all the money that we live off of. This flat, all this money... I break my back at the clinic for this!"

"Don't act like I should be indebted to you for that! I've already told you that I want to work too. I can help earn money and you can help with housework."

"Oh please... don't speak such rubbish?"

"Why? Why is the thought of me earning money and you working at home so unpalatable?"

Subbu shook his head in disappointment. "Listen Ragini, you can start working once Varun starts school. I've already allowed you to work before he was born-"

"And what makes you think you have the authority to allow me to do anything?" she interrupted him. 

"Wh-Where is this coming from, Ragini...? W-What happened...?"

He gaped at her, speechless. The shock and hurt on his face was almost enough to undo her. Almost. Think of Varun, Ragini. Think of your son. He matters the most.

"Last weekend, when I went shopping with Varun, he picked out a pink teddy bear to play with. When I brought it home, your mother threw a fit because boys don't play with pink. Your relatives came over yesterday, and Varun wanted to play with his cousin sister's dolls. That's when your uncle spanked him for wanting to play with girls' toys. And when he cried because of it, you told him not to cry like a girl." She inhaled deeply, gathering strength to continue. "I can't raise him in an environment like this. I can't raise him in a house where his mother is constantly unhappy."

"What do you mean unhappy?" he asked quizzically. 

"For god's sakes Subbu!" she cried, her hands flailing about in frustration. "Are you blind or what?! Did you not notice me struggling through postpartum depression after Varun was born? Did neither you nor your mother realize the toll it took on me to deal with a newborn baby, the entire house's responsibilities, and entertaining guests who came to meet the new daughter-in-law and baby?!" Tears were streaming down her face in earnest now. 

"W-Why didn't you tell me?" Subbu asked shakily, reeling from shock.

"Every time I tried, you brushed me off. Every time I suggested living separately from Amma – even if temporarily – you looked at me like I was crazy. The only person who recognized my suffering was my father."

She recalled her visit to his father, when Varun was barely two months old. How he had recognized the pain behind her smile, the darkness behind her faΓ§ade of joy, and the gray skies overpowering the sun and rainbows. It was a miracle that he had been able to convince Subbu to get her family doctor changed to someone with board certification in mental health. She couldn't even imagine where she would be today without his help. Thank you appa. Thank you so much.

"Do you really think this is the best for Varun?" Subbu spat at her. "You think it's okay to raise him without his father? You think he'll be better off with divorced parents?"

"Yes, I think so. You can definitely be a part of his life. You're his father, and I would never take that right away. But he can't grow up watching a bitter marriage between his parents. He can't grow up with a mother who's constantly unhappy." 

Before he could reply, Ragini made a beeline for her son and lifted him into her arms. She stomped to the front door and it was only then that Subbu noticed the packed suitcase behind the ajar door.

"Wait! You're leaving right now?!" he shrieked. 

"Yes." She dragged the suitcase with her free hand.

"No Ragini, please!" He stood in the front door, blocking her way, desperation clawing at his throat.

"I have to go, Subbu. Don't make this harder than it already is."

"I'll do anything. Counseling, couple's therapy, anything!"

A spark of hope lighted in her eyes. But she didn't know whether she could believe in it. "Maybe we can try that. But I can't stay here for one more minute. I'm sorry."

She pushed Subbu aside and walked out, her baby in one arm and her suitcase in the other. She knew for a fact the world would laugh at her, even insult her for this decision. After all, what legitimate reason did she have to leave her husband? He wasn't physically abusive. He wasn't having an affair. He wasn't unemployed or an alcoholic or a gambler. 

But she knew in her heart that she was right. It was the right decision for herself and for her son. Ragini kissed her son's soft forehead, her heart strengthened with courage.

Meanwhile, Subbu slumped onto the sofa, eyes bloodshot and tearing up. His gaze fell upon the photo frame on the side table. He was posing with his newborn son in his hand, his wife by his side. It had all fallen apart. His trembling fingers dragged over the picture, his heart drowning in grief and regret.

You did a number on me

But honestly, baby, who's counting?

I did a number on you

Unity Division Housing Society, Delhi – next day, Sunday, 6 am

Footsteps sounded on the floor above and the ceiling shook causing dust to fall onto the portable cot below. Cries and yells sounded upstairs and the added noise disturbed the sleeping figure on the cot. 

"Ugghhh..." Ashok groaned, jerking awake. He sat up on the cot, back aching and joints hurting from sleeping in such a small, uncomfortable bed. 

What had the great Ashok Khanna been reduced to? He was living off favors and scraps from the few friends who were still willing (and able) to help him. Currently, he was crashing in the underground basement of an old colleague. The room was tiny and bleak, devoid of any furniture except the cot he was sleeping on and a broken plastic chair on which his bag was sitting. 

Ever since Sooraj had taken over his company, Ashok had been reduced to living off such favors. His brother may have never asked him to leave the mansion, but once his assets were seized, cards blocked, and funds frozen, living in that mansion was a wound to his pride. He had left in a huff, determined to get his property back, only to find out that he couldn't even afford a competent lawyer for a civil trial. 

He rubbed his forehead, wincing at the throbbing headache as the noise amplified above him. Just then, the basement door burst open and a rush of light blinded him. A figure walked in. Ashok squinted to adjust to the light and recognized him as his friend, the owner of the house.

"Ashok yaar..." he began. "Look, I'm sorry to bring this on you so suddenly... and that too this early in the morning, but... you can't stay here anymore. I have four kids, a wife, and parents. They all live in this same house, and we just can't afford to take in anyone else."

Ashok gaped at his so-called friend.

"Please make sure to move out ASAP. Hopefully by the end of the day, okay?" He walked out as quickly as he had walked in before Ashok could react.

The door slammed shut and Ashok exploded. He roared at the top of his lungs and tore the bedsheet off the cot, throwing it against the broken chair. The action caused a magazine from the top of his bag to fall to the floor. If there was anything that could've angered him more, it was the page the magazine opened to. 

Exclusive Interview: Raman Bhalla Enters Global Scene, Makes It Big in Japan

Ashok picked up the magazine and skimmed down the page. It was an interview of Raman and Mihir's as they discussed their venture in Tokyo. Ashok's rage grew with every word, but it was one paragraph that had him erupting like a volcano.

We asked Mihir Arora about his relationship with Raman Bhalla, whom he calls brother but shares no blood.

Interviewer: Mr. Arora, it's said that blood is thicker than water. How has your relationship with Mr. Bhalla endured through obstacles and strengthened into brotherhood?

Mihir Arora: There's a variation to that quote you said. The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. Raman Bhai and I have been through heaven and hell together. A bond like that can't be broken easily. Our loyalty is bound for life.

Ashok growled and threw down the magazine. Raman Bhalla. God damn Raman Bhalla! That man had everything today. He had gone from rags to riches while Ashok was degraded from riches to rags. He had a brother that shared no blood with him but still pledged his undying loyalty. And Ashok had a brother who was his own flesh and blood but didn't care for him one bit.

Ever since the first day he had met Raman, Ashok had recognized the spark of talent he held. It threatened him to the core, and he had done everything in his power to break him. From giving him extra overtime to making him responsible for projects beyond his capability. Despite all his plans and plots however, Raman had managed to flourish through it, honing his talent. It wasn't until he laid eyes on Shagun that his plan worked. He had managed to steal Shagun from right under Raman's nose. It was his best exploit till date resulting in the most chaos in his enemy's life.

But in the long run, nothing had worked. Raman was successful today. And Ashok wasn't. His frustration peaked, and something in his mind snapped. He was triggered. He was done. He had vowed revenge against Raman a long time back. It was high time he acted on it. 

He leaned down and dragged out a safe from beneath the cot. He unlocked the safe and removed a shiny metal glock with a wicked gleam in his eyes. Ashok surveyed the nine mm pistol, his heart darkening with revenge and hatred.

You did a number on me

Who's counting?

https://youtu.be/iAv1Y1YIwm8