Divyalingaraju thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

A very nice update please update next part soon 

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Part 53

Thank you so much for quick update - I am so relieved!!!

What an absolutely fantastic update - finally the confession happened and in just the way it should have have in the circumstances!!!!☺️❤️❤️

I loved the fact that the name that came on her lips when she was scared was Raman - amazing!!!!

The way you describe the emotions is awesome I get totally involved in the whole story - I can myself feel all the emotions they all go through!!!

Also the fact that she made the first move to kiss him☺️

Also she did not object to staying in the hotel for the rest of the day - for once not feeling guilty and wanting to spend time with her husband - fabulous!!

This is how I want to see Ishita - taking the initiative not keep saying "chodiye koi ajaayega!!" In fact now that they have confessed - Raman I know will always look for occasions to romance her but it would be lovely to see Ishita also taking chances to romance Raman - I know he will be over the moon if she did!!!!😳

I have to say you are a brilliant writer and one of the reasons I stick to your story absolutely fantastic!!

I will continue to be greedy - please please please update soon!!!!!!!!!🤗⭐️

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I've enjoyed enough reading your IshRalicious content, I only delayed appreciating ur writing skills, now I don't have heart anymore to delay. Ur one of the awesome writers I have come across in yhm forum.👏

U never mentioned the length, breadth and width of the IshRa room, but I could only picturise the 11p.m.Ishra room while reading ur story. Ur story just gives the 11p.m vibes. 😛

Coming to Mani's track, I think u hate Mani just like anyone of us😆, u just packed him off so soon. The initial fun, when Raman gets to see Mani as Ishita's CLOSEST friend in the show was hilarious 😂. Keeping fun aside, Raman could not handle a handsome, successful close friend of Ishita, he was just too jealous that Ishita is giving him more attention,just as a friend though, I always wondered how much does Ishita has to feel jealous, go crazy, and feel uncomfortable, everytime she has to handle Raman's past. In the show, Shagun's narration of how Raman was so romantic, and Ishita over hearing Raman-Shagun talk about Adi's stem cells being preserved and the entire conversation, even after all that, the maturity with Ishita handles all this stuff is just what makes me fall for her. Even though I enjoy, Raman's jealousy, his care when she was in hospital during Man's track, I just waited for him to realise that it's not easy being Ishita. She gave in to his weird demands for Adi, Shagun was always there to bother her, she just took everything with a smile. And here he just couldn't handle an old friend of hers who crushed over her, I just wanted him to realise that being in love with him, she had to carry his past baggage as well, and the jealousy rotted her bones as well. That's all I wanted. They never showed in the show too, Raman realising that Ishita had to swallow the toughest of pills, after falling in love with him, 

I wonder if you had watched BALH, Rajat was the Mani there. But he was the most lovable character unlike Mani. He enters post leap, after Priya has a baby girl. He thinks she is a single mother and falls for her. But Ram and Priya cross paths, initially Ram is angry that Priya didn't come to her and hid about their daughter. There were many Ram-Priya moments, and during this time Rajat character comes into play. We see the love and care between Ram-Priya, through Rajat's eyes. The way he understands Ram-Priya equation, and every moment of Ram-Priya just pinches him, because he crushes over Priya. Eventually he moves on though. There are some jealousy moments of Ram because he is obese and Rajat is fit😂, and one cringe dance of Rajat-Priya which is a must in Ekta's show🤔, but I really like Rajat unlike Mani. When Mani was about to enter Yhm, I was so happy because I have this BALH experience of Rajat, so I expected similar things in YHM, as both are from Ekta. I was more excited for YHM, because there Ram-Priya were already parents of a baby girl,so handling a third wheel is no big deal for them, and here IshRa didn't even confess yet, so I was so excited for YHM, that we would get more stuff. Initially I really liked it, Raman's jealousy was top notch, he even pulls Ishita's hand close during that Golu pooja😂, never before seen Raman's side coming out, earlier it was too awkward for them to pose for a pic, with Raman holding Ishita close, but Mani made him break the barrier😂. I really loved the change 😊. Some unexpected things came bursting out from Raman during Man's track. I was expecting more, but makers just fooled us😡

Sorry for such a long comment, I was just giving u hints, so that u might think of inculcating these points in ur story with your rare talent of being able to write exactly 11p.m. Yhm stuff😭

I just started reading the latest parts for IshRa stuff and OMG u just gave ua consummation. Cannot wait for this journey of IshRa with 11p.m. essence

I didn't understand why Ishita was so quick to misunderstand Raman's words without asking him, but u were heading for a confrontation and consummation, so I understand😉

I thought Ishita misunderstood about Raman wanting Ishita to give birth to Adi and Ruhi. Actually I was hurt💔. If Raman thinks of a pleasant life, he thinks about Ruhi and Adi along with Ishita. What if Ishita can't give him his kids? Will he still choose Ishita? . The way YHM went, at the end of the day, Raman will choose Ishita as his only wife for his another janm, even if she cannot give him Adi and Ruhi. Can u just write something on these lines?Just a conversation maybe. As per my faith, husband and wife is the first relation ever made on earth, and children are made later. But it's different for IshRa. First children happened for them, then they came together as husband and wife. But since u wrote the most brilliant line for Ishita, " My journey to marriage and parenthood was not the usual path, but that doesn't make it any less valid", make it valid for IshRa, even if it's without Adi and Ruhi. Just a request. I am not asking you to wipe out Adi and Ruhi, just try a conversation. 

Earlier there was a game in YHM forum. IshRaian of the week something like that, where one person is termed as IshRaian of the week and other members can ask them questions that they have to answer for the entire week. I once asked, just let's assume all the Bhallas and Iyers died, in heaven, God gave them all a chance to choose one person to go with in the next janm. I asked who would Raman, Ishita, Shagun, Ruhi, Mihika, Mihir and some others choose. People gave brilliant answers👏👏. I am asking the same to u, as I find you brilliant too ❤. Please answer when you find time. 

U said pregnancy yay🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Can't wait. 

So so sorry for the long comment, I promise I will never bother you again

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: nafnaf

Part 53

Thank you so much for quick update - I am so relieved!!!

What an absolutely fantastic update - finally the confession happened and in just the way it should have have in the circumstances!!!!☺️❤️❤️

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!!

Originally posted by: nafnaf

Also the fact that she made the first move to kiss him☺️

Also she did not object to staying in the hotel for the rest of the day - for once not feeling guilty and wanting to spend time with her husband - fabulous!!

This is how I want to see Ishita - taking the initiative not keep saying "chodiye koi ajaayega!!" In fact now that they have confessed - Raman I know will always look for occasions to romance her but it would be lovely to see Ishita also taking chances to romance Raman - I know he will be over the moon if she did!!!!😳

This is how I've wanted to see Ishita too!! There were a couple instances where she showed her desire to be with her husband but usually she was always like "let me go and chodiye" and all.... I hated it. 

I'll definitely write about Ishita taking the initiative too, much to Raman's delight.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: --QUEEN--

I've enjoyed enough reading your IshRalicious content, I only delayed appreciating ur writing skills, now I don't have heart anymore to delay. Ur one of the awesome writers I have come across in yhm forum.👏

U never mentioned the length, breadth and width of the IshRa room, but I could only picturise the 11p.m.Ishra room while reading ur story. Ur story just gives the 11p.m vibes. 😛

Yay I'm so glad!! I've written the story so that people can imagine either bedroom, but I'm glad you get the 11 pm vibes.

Coming to Mani's track, I think u hate Mani just like anyone of us😆, u just packed him off so soon. The initial fun, when Raman gets to see Mani as Ishita's CLOSEST friend in the show was hilarious 😂. Keeping fun aside, Raman could not handle a handsome, successful close friend of Ishita, he was just too jealous that Ishita is giving him more attention,just as a friend though, I always wondered how much does Ishita has to feel jealous, go crazy, and feel uncomfortable, everytime she has to handle Raman's past. In the show, Shagun's narration of how Raman was so romantic, and Ishita over hearing Raman-Shagun talk about Adi's stem cells being preserved and the entire conversation, even after all that, the maturity with Ishita handles all this stuff is just what makes me fall for her. Even though I enjoy, Raman's jealousy, his care when she was in hospital during Man's track, I just waited for him to realise that it's not easy being Ishita. She gave in to his weird demands for Adi, Shagun was always there to bother her, she just took everything with a smile. And here he just couldn't handle an old friend of hers who crushed over her, I just wanted him to realise that being in love with him, she had to carry his past baggage as well, and the jealousy rotted her bones as well. That's all I wanted. They never showed in the show too, Raman realising that Ishita had to swallow the toughest of pills, after falling in love with him, 

Lol yes, I hate Mani too like most of the fandom. Not only just how his character was when he was introduced, but I also hated how involved he was in Ishita and the Bhallas' lives after all the leaps. 

As far as your comment about Raman realizing how much Ishita had to swallow Shagun's presence, I agree with that. And I've thought about it and included a conversation about it too. 

I wonder if you had watched BALH, Rajat was the Mani there. But he was the most lovable character unlike Mani. He enters post leap, after Priya has a baby girl. He thinks she is a single mother and falls for her. But Ram and Priya cross paths, initially Ram is angry that Priya didn't come to her and hid about their daughter. There were many Ram-Priya moments, and during this time Rajat character comes into play. We see the love and care between Ram-Priya, through Rajat's eyes. The way he understands Ram-Priya equation, and every moment of Ram-Priya just pinches him, because he crushes over Priya. Eventually he moves on though. There are some jealousy moments of Ram because he is obese and Rajat is fit😂, and one cringe dance of Rajat-Priya which is a must in Ekta's show🤔, but I really like Rajat unlike Mani. When Mani was about to enter Yhm, I was so happy because I have this BALH experience of Rajat, so I expected similar things in YHM, as both are from Ekta. I was more excited for YHM, because there Ram-Priya were already parents of a baby girl,so handling a third wheel is no big deal for them, and here IshRa didn't even confess yet, so I was so excited for YHM, that we would get more stuff. Initially I really liked it, Raman's jealousy was top notch, he even pulls Ishita's hand close during that Golu pooja😂, never before seen Raman's side coming out, earlier it was too awkward for them to pose for a pic, with Raman holding Ishita close, but Mani made him break the barrier😂. I really loved the change 😊. Some unexpected things came bursting out from Raman during Man's track. I was expecting more, but makers just fooled us😡

Sorry for such a long comment, I was just giving u hints, so that u might think of inculcating these points in ur story with your rare talent of being able to write exactly 11p.m. Yhm stuff😭

OMG I looooovvveeee BALH! Rajat was a really great character. This was the time in ITV when even female leads got male pairings other than the male lead, especially during leaps and love triangles. Nowadays, it's always another woman being introduced for a love triangle. Two women competing for male lead. 

Please do not apologize about the long comments. I love reading them!

I thought Ishita misunderstood about Raman wanting Ishita to give birth to Adi and Ruhi. Actually I was hurt💔. If Raman thinks of a pleasant life, he thinks about Ruhi and Adi along with Ishita. What if Ishita can't give him his kids? Will he still choose Ishita? . The way YHM went, at the end of the day, Raman will choose Ishita as his only wife for his another janm, even if she cannot give him Adi and Ruhi. Can u just write something on these lines?Just a conversation maybe. As per my faith, husband and wife is the first relation ever made on earth, and children are made later. But it's different for IshRa. First children happened for them, then they came together as husband and wife. But since u wrote the most brilliant line for Ishita, " My journey to marriage and parenthood was not the usual path, but that doesn't make it any less valid", make it valid for IshRa, even if it's without Adi and Ruhi. Just a request. I am not asking you to wipe out Adi and Ruhi, just try a conversation. 

He will absolutely choose Ishita regardless of whether she can give him kids or not. Because Adi and Ruhi are his kids, it's natural for him to think about them when he imagines his life. By saying that he wanted Ishita to give birth to them, he means that instead of Shagun, it should've been Ishita. Basically he's regretting ever being related to Shagun. If his kids were to come in the world, it should've been through Ishita, not Shagun.

And yes, I'll definitely include a conversation about this. That their relationship as husband and wife comes first.

Earlier there was a game in YHM forum. IshRaian of the week something like that, where one person is termed as IshRaian of the week and other members can ask them questions that they have to answer for the entire week. I once asked, just let's assume all the Bhallas and Iyers died, in heaven, God gave them all a chance to choose one person to go with in the next janm. I asked who would Raman, Ishita, Shagun, Ruhi, Mihika, Mihir and some others choose. People gave brilliant answers👏👏. I am asking the same to u, as I find you brilliant too ❤. Please answer when you find time. 

U said pregnancy yay🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Can't wait. 

Coming to your question....

I feel like Raman and Ishita would've chosen each other for their next janm, Ruhi would've chosen both Raman and Ishimaa, Mihir and Mihika would've chosen each other, and Shagun would've chosen money. 

These are my simplistic answers though. I'm sure people would've really analyzed it much further than me.

So so sorry for the long comment, I promise I will never bother you again

Please don't apologize for this dear. I love love love reading your comments, no matter how long! Keep it coming!

vidhyavikash thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Superb one

Just making us to relive ishra times

This is what actually we exactly wanted in the show

Don't stop writing pls

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 54

Bhalla House - five days later, Saturday, May 26th, 7:30 am

Knock... knock... knock...

Raman jerked awake as the incessant knocking on his bedroom door refused to stop. Who could it be this early in the morning, that too on a weekend? No one from their family was such an early bird. Except maybe his wife. But she was currently asleep in his arms, sleeping with her head on his chest, arms around his waist. So who could it be?

"Who is it?" he called out without getting up.

"Papa, it's me," his little girl called back. 

Raman sighed. It had been quite an ordeal keeping Ruhi out of their bedroom, declining her pleas to sleep with her mumma and papa. How could he make her understand that mumma and papa had other plans?

Speaking of other plans, he gazed lovingly at his wife, fast asleep in his arms. Ever since that pivotal day at the Elite Emerald Hotel, they had been insatiable, unable to keep their hands to themselves, drowning in love. Last night had turned into one of respite however, both of them desperately needing to catch up on the hours of sleep they had missed throughout the week, causing them to fall asleep in their day clothes itself. 

"Papa!" Ruhi yelled again, causing Ishita to stir awake.

"Come in beta," Raman said.

The door burst open and their fiery bundle of joy flew in, jumping on their bed, joining her parents. Her father was wide awake, and her mother was just waking up.

"Ruhi, aap itni jaldi uth gaye?" Ishita asked groggily, blinking her eyes open.

"Yes mumma, aur aap log bhi uth jaayiye. Aaj weekend hai aur mujhe ghumne jaana hai," she said, revealing her motivations behind waking up so early. 

Ishita tried getting up, only for Raman to stop her, tightening his hold on her. 

"Ruhi, hum baad mein jaayenge," he said. "Abhi aap so jaao." He burrowed his head into the pillow and closed his eyes again.

Ruhi frowned. "It's morning already papa! Get up now!" She grabbed his arm that was around her mother and pulled hard, but her father refused to budge.

"Papa! Don't be a lazy bum!" she exclaimed, and her mother's eyes widened.

"Ruhi! Aise nahi bolte, yeh papa hai aapke!" Ishita admonished Ruhi.

"Sorry," Ruhi replied sheepishly. "Then tell him to wake up Ishimaa!" 

"Raman, wake up na," Ishita said, but her husband refused to budge. She turned to her daughter instead. "Accha batao, aapko kahan ghumne jaana hai aaj?"

"Amusement park! Mansi went last week and now I want to go too! Main Adi bhaiya ko bol du ready hone ke liye?" she asked, jumping the gun.

"Ruko baba, papa ko to puch lo."

Ruhi sighed and shook her father again. But despite her countless appeals, Raman did not budge.

"This is not done papa," Ruhi pouted. "Mujhe mumma ke paas sone se rokte ho aur khud mumma ko huggy karke sote ho."

Raman smiled and peeked an eye open. "Kyun? Yeh sirf aapki mumma nahi, meri biwi bhi hai."

"Matlab?"

"Matlab... Aap mumma ko huggy karke kyun sote ho?" 

"Kyunki main unse bahot pyaar karti hoon!" She opened her arms and enveloped her mother, giving proof of said love. 

"Bas to phir, papa bhi Ishimaa ko isiliye huggy karte hai. Kyunki woh bhi Ishimaa se bahot pyaar karte hai," Raman confessed. 

Ruhi grinned. 

"Aur Ishimaa bhi?" she asked, sitting up straight, gazing at her parents in wonder.

Ishita pursed her lips, hiding a bashful smile. "Haan baba... Ishimaa bhi papa se bahot pyaar karte hai."

Ruhi giggled at her parents. She always knew they loved each other, but this was the first time she'd heard them saying it out loud. 

"That's so cute!" she giggled. "Main sab ko bata kar aati hoon!" Ruhi scrambled off the bed and ran out of their room, much to Ishita's horror and Raman's amusement.

"Ruhi wait!" Ishita cried.

By now Raman had lost his sleep and he turned onto his back, letting go of Ishita and rubbing his eyes. She shook his shoulder in panicked embarrassment.

"Raman, roko use! Warna sab ke saamne broadcast ho jaayega!" she warned, sitting up and straightening her rumpled saree.

Raman stretched his arms and sat up against the headboard. "To ho jaane do broadcast," he beamed with pride. "Kya farak padta hai?"

"Farak kaise nahi padta, Raman? Yeh baat sab ko bataane ki kya zaroorat hai?" she whispered.

"Kabhi na kabhi to pata chalna hi tha sabko," he said, scooching closer to her. "In fact, I'd be surprised if they don't already know."

"Kuch bhi Raman!" she gasped. "Ab chaliye, uthiye bhi. Aapne suna na, aapki beti ko amusement park jaana hai."

She threw off the blanket in a huff and stood up, making her way to the bathroom, leaving her husband laughing on their bed.

.....................................................................................................................

Happy Fun Amusement Park - 10 am

"I want to go on that ride!" Ruhi squealed, running towards the carousel. 

"Ruhi daud mat!" Rinki screamed, holding her back with a tight grip around her wrist.

"Omg, look at this roller coaster," Adi craned his neck, gazing upwards.

"You want to go on it, Adi?" Raman asked. 

"Absolutely not. It's soooo high."

"Mummyji, aapke ghutno ka dard thik hai na?" Ishita asked. "Kahin chalte chalte badh na jaaye."

"Mainu kuch nahi hoga Ishita," Toshi beamed. "Abhi toh main badi jawaan hoon."

The chaotic Bhalla family walked through the crowded amusement park, exploring the myriad rides and attractions, trying to keep their crazy in check. Owing to Ruhi's obstinacy, the entire family had joined in on a weekend visit to the local amusement park, with picnic baskets and backpacks in tow. 

"I want to go on the merry-go-round!" Ruhi shrieked again, grabbing everyone's attention. 

"Aaja puttar, main tainu leke chaldiyaan," Toshi said, grabbing her granddaughter's hand. "Waise bhi in bade roller coaster pe mainu nahi baithna. Mera te BP high jo jaana hai."

"Sambhaalke Toshi ji, utthe badi saari bheed lagi hai!" Omprakash called after his wife.

"Haay Bhalla ji! Tussi ki kehna chaahte ho? Mainu ki samajh rakha hai? Oh main koi bacchi thodi hoon?!" she replied. 

As Ruhi sped to the carousel with her bickering grandparents behind her, Romi and Rinki were busy making their own plans.

"Aaj to is park ke har roller coaster par mujhe baithna hai," Romi exclaimed. 

"I have the map here, bhai." Rinki unfolded the crisp pamphlet she had grabbed from the front counter and surveyed the map. "We should start from the nearest ride and make our way to the back of the park."

"Adi, you wanna join us?" Romi asked. 

"No no, these roller coasters are waaaaayyyy too high," he gulped.

Eventually, Adi decided to join his sister at the carousel, playing it safe. Ishita followed him, choosing to look after her kids and parents-in-law, while Rinki, Romi, and Raman set out on their pursuit of riding every roller coaster in the park.

Three hours passed by in thrill and fun. Ruhi and Adi sat in every kids' level ride ranging from the carousel to the tea cup ride, supervised by Ishita. Toshi and Omprakash joined them occasionally while taking breaks to rest their knees and backs. On the other hand, Raman and his siblings rode on various high-thrill roller coasters, spending more time waiting in line than on the actual ride. Even so, the adrenaline rush they experienced on the rides outweighed the discomfort of waiting in long lines.

They reconvened for lunch, digging into their picnic baskets and munching on sandwiches and juice, even as they discussed their plans for the rest of the day.

"We've got like three more rides to finish," Rinki said, marking on the map the roller coasters they had finished. "Bhai, the height requirement for this one is much smaller. Even Adi and Ruhi can ride."

"Really?" Raman laid down his chicken sandwich as he took the map from Rinki and read the description of said ride. It really was a tinier ride, with a much smaller thrill quotient. "Adi, Ruhi, aap ko hamare saath is roller coaster par baithna hai?" he asked.

"YES!" Ruhi screamed. 

"N-No..." Adi stammered. 

"Come na Adi, chota sa roller coaster hai. Tujhe bilkul darr nahi lagega," Romi persuaded. 

After a long persuasion session, Adi decided to give the roller coaster a try. Half an hour later, they stood in line, feet tapping and hands fidgeting in eagerness. When their time finally came, Romi and Rinki clamored into the first car; Ruhi dragged Raman into the second car; and Adi nervously joined Ishita in the third car. 

"Ruhi, aap thik ho na? Dar to nahi lag raha?" Raman asked. 

"No papa," she replied, hiding the slight quiver in her voice. She may have put up a show of bravery earlier, but now that she was actually on the ride, she couldn't help but feel anxiety churning in her gut.

"Thik hai. Lekin phir bhi, agar dar lage to papa ka haath pakad lena," he offered, making sure his daughter felt safe.

Despite her hesitation, Ruhi clutched onto her father's sleeve, squeezing her tiny fist until her knuckles turned white. Meanwhile, her brother was in the same boat.

"Kuch nahi hoga Adi, bilkul daro mat," Ishita coaxed, as they fastened their seatbelts and tightened their restraints.

"But this ride will go so high..." he whispered. 

"That's why we all have these restraints beta. It's all very safe. Don't worry."

The wheels of the cars began turning and they sped off, twisting through the turns of the tracks, going up and down stretches of hills. Ruhi's trepidation was quickly replaced with a rush of adrenaline as she laughed and screamed in joy. 

Meanwhile, Adi's heart was stuck in his throat, even as his veins coursed with excitement. A strange mix of fear and thrill fluttered in his chest, and he moved closer to his stepmother. He squeezed his eyes shut and without conscious thought, threw his arms around Ishita, tightening them and holding onto her as if his life depended on it. 

He remained in the exact same position, even as the ride screeched to a halt. 

"Adi..." Ishita whispered. "Dekho ride khatam bhi ho gayi. Aankhein kholo baccha."

He peeked out of one eye and his harsh breathing slowed, his heart setting into place. It was only then that he realized he had been hugging his stepmother. 

"Sor- Sorry Aunty..."

"Don't apologize beta. Please." 

Ishita stopped her son from apologizing for something that had been one of the best moments of her life. They climbed out of the ride and descended the steps of the exit, as Rinki and Romi piled a barrage of questions for Adi and Ruhi about how they liked the first roller coaster experience of their life. They ran forward to where Toshi and Omprakash were seated with their bags, as Ishita and Raman slowly trailed behind them.

"So how was it madrasan?" Raman asked, falling into step beside her. He looked over with a flashing smile, only to find her eyes growing misty. "Kya hua Ishita?" he asked.

"Adi just hugged me. Again," she revealed. 

Raman raised his eyebrows in pleasant surprise. "Really?"

Ishita nodded, smiling in contentment. "I mean, technically it wasn't voluntary," she clarified. "Pehli baar jab usne mujhe hug kiya tab woh neend mein tha. Aur abhi isiliye hug kiya kyunki woh daraa hua tha. Phir bhi... He's accepting me. Even if it is on a subconscious level."

Raman grinned with surprise, emotions clouding in his heart. "Jald hi woh tumhe puri tarah apna lega Ishita," he hoped aloud. 

He pulled her closer by her waist and dropped a kiss on her temple, as she closed her eyes wiping off the sheen of emotion in her eyes. Lost in each other, they didn't realize they had reached the table where the rest of their family was sitting, making them the subject of much amusement. 

"Haay mere hanso ka joda!" Toshi twisted her hands in a circular motion and cracked her knuckles on her head, blessing her son and daughter-in-law. "Balaaye le lu main inki. Dono ko kisi ki nazar na lage."

"Mihir-Mihika se zyada to yeh log honeymoon phase mein hai," Rinki giggled, as Romi whistled at the new lovebirds. 

Raman shook his head as Ishita hid behind her palm, hiding the color in her cheeks. Even so, she peeked an apprehensive glance on Adi, but was delighted to see him laughing in cahoots with his sister. 

"Aap sab ka ho gaya ho to ghar chale?" Raman asked. 

"Haan haan chalte hai," Romi drawled. "Aap ko to bahot jaldi hogi ghar jaane ki..."

"Kya matlab hai tera?"

"Ab hum kya bole bhai...? Aaj kal humaare ghar mein huggy bahot ho rahi hai!" he quipped, providing a repeat of Ruhi's morning broadcast. 

"Romi!" Ishita gasped and smacked his arm slightly, widening her eyes in admonishment. 

"Ruk tu beta." Raman rolled his sleeves up and set off after Romi, who ran to escape his brother's wrath.

And thus, the day passed in limitless cheer and laughter.

.....................................................................................................................

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Office - one week later, Saturday, 2nd June, 11:45 am

Ishita rechecked her statistical work on the research data, happy with the results of her calculations. So far, their data was following the trends they had predicted. If their research continued like this, they'd achieve the purpose behind their project. 

She rolled her shoulders releasing the trapped tension, as she sent an email to Dr. Batra with her results so far. She had finally begun taking an active interest in one of his research proposals, partnering on data collection and statistical work. Now that Mihir-Mihika's wedding was done and Adi was settling in well, she eagerly took on the extra work at the clinic, with Raman's encouragement. His workload was increasing as well, but they knew they could conquer it all, at both the work and home front, as long as they worked together as a team. As they always would.

Her phone chimed with her favorite notification the moment she pressed send on her email.

Raman: When are you coming home?

She grabbed her phone and leaned back into her chair, as she texted him back.

Ishita: I'm leaving in a few. Should be home for lunch.

Ishita: Just out of curiosity though, who's asking?

Raman: Ruhi

Ishita: Just her? Not my darling husband?

Raman: Nope

Ishita frowned. Looks like he was still mad from this morning.

Ishita: Abhi bhi naaraaz ho? 😢

Raman: Nope

Ishita: Are all your replies going to be one word long?

Raman: Yup

Ishita sighed. Her husband could be so damn pig-headed sometimes.

Ishita: Come on Raman. How long are you going to sulk like this? I know it's the weekend but what could I have done? I had to come in and catch up on work.

Raman: I'm not mad that you went to work. I'm mad that you left me to deal with the mess by myself... 😠

Ishita: UGGGHHH

Ishita: Raman... It was just. One. Lizard! 

Raman: Wrong. It was one HUGE lizard!! 🦎

Ishita laughed out loud despite herself, giggling like a teenager in her own office.

Ishita: Were you scared of it? 

Raman: Madrasan... Punjabi mard kisi se nahi darte. 

Raman: It was Ruhi and Adi who were scared of it. And out of fear, they climbed on the sofa cushions with dirty feet. 

Raman: So on top of having to get rid of the lizard, I had to bear the brunt of Neelu's anger too. 

Raman: Samajh nahi aata kaun maid hai aur kaun ghar ka maalik 

Ishita sympathized with her husband, feeling pity, even as she struggled to contain her laughter.

Ishita: Sorry baba... Ab maaf bhi kar do na... 😇

Raman: You used the wrong emoji. 

Raman: This is the right one for you: 😈

Ishita: You think I'm a devil???

Raman: ...

Ishita curled her toes, and employed her newly discovered trick. Again. 

Ishita: Raman... You know I love you. Please forgive me now ❤️❤️❤️

Raman: This is so unfair

Raman: You can't win every fight by saying that.

Ishita: Then what do I have to do? I'll do anything...

Raman: Is that right? 😈

Ishita: Who's being the devil now?? 😏

Raman: There actually is something you can do for me though...

Ishita: What...? 😟

Her heart fluttered in nervous anticipation.

Raman: Meet me tomorrow at the Meenakshi Temple at 6 pm. 

Ishita: Don't you have a client meeting then?

Raman: My meeting will be done by 5. I'll come there from the office itself.

Ishita: What are we doing at the temple?

Raman: That's a surprise. Just come alone. 

Ishita: Okay ☺️

Raman: And Ishita...?

Ishita: Yes?

Raman: Come dressed as a bride. My bride. 😘

Meenakshi Temple - next day, 6:10 pm

Raman paced in front of the temple steps, fidgeting with his angavastram (shoulder cloth) impatiently. It had been ten minutes, and Ishita still wasn't here yet. 

For the nth time, he stepped up the temple steps, carefully handling his veshti, and faced the idol of Goddess Meenakshi. 

"Matarani, kidhar reh gayi yeh madrasan..." he muttered. 

As if in answer to his prayers, a delicate hand placed on his shoulder from behind. 

"Raman..." she whispered. 

"Itni der!" He turned around to chide her. "Kahan reh gayi-"

He lost the rest of his words when he laid eyes on her. 

She was dressed in her red and gold wedding saree, the silk pallu hanging off her shoulder and fluttering in the air. Two gold stud earrings, one gold nose ring, and her thaali were the only jewelry she wore. Half of her satiny tresses were tied back with a mogra (jasmine) gajra, the rest flowing down her shoulders and back. A hint of kajal adorned her eyes, a rose blush bloomed on her cheeks, and her lips were red as rose petals. Raman stared at her with his jaw on the floor. She was ethereal.

"Sorry mujhe thodi der ho gayi," she began. "It was a task convincing Ruhi to stay alone at home, and then everyone had questions about why I was wearing my wedding saree. I had to evade them all to make it here. You didn't make it any easier either. Kal se puch rahi hoon phir bhi aap bata nahi rahe hai ki mujhe yahan kyun bulaya hai..." 

She cleared her throat realizing she was the subject of her husband's unblinking gaze. "Ab batayiye bhi, aap ne mujhe yahan kyun bulaya hai?" she asked, snapping her fingers in his face.

His o-shaped mouth transformed into a bright smile as he grasped her hand. "Bahot khoobsurat lag rahi ho," he whispered, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Bulaya kyun hai, bataiye na?" she asked for the third time.

"Batata hoon, chalo mere saath."

He pulled her by the hand into the sanctum sanctorum of the temple, empty of people save for the priest, who prepared a sacred pyre... for a wedding. Ishita gasped in realization.

"Raman, yeh toh-"

"Vivaah ki pavitra agni hai," Raman finished for her. He took her mehendi stained hands in his and turned to face her. "Ishita, tum acche se jaanti ho humari shaadi kin haalaato mein hui thi. Humne Ruhi ke liye shaadi ki aur woh bhi itni jaldi mein ki kayi saari rasame nahi ho paayi. Lekin ab main tumhe yakeen dilaana chaahta hu ki yeh shaadi kisi aur ke liye nahi, sirf hum dono ke liye hai."

He let go of her hands and retrieved a tiny velvet box from the pocket of his white shirt. He carefully went down on one knee, handling his veshti, and opened the box to reveal a glittering solitaire diamond ring. Ishita's fingers flew to her mouth as her jaw dropped in surprise.

"Ishita my love, will you marry me? Again? Will you accept me for me and only me?" The open velvet box shook slightly in his trembling fingers.

"Yes... Yes, of course I will!" Ishita replied with a quivering voice. 

Raman removed the ring from the box, pocketing the latter, and slipped the ring onto his wife's ring finger. It was the perfect size, nestling just above her wedding band. She curled her fingers around the ring, gazing at it lovingly.

"Ab pakka deal seal?" he asked. 

Ishita nodded at him, unable to speak over the wave of emotion in her chest.

"Ab main tumhe kahin nahin jaane dunga. Phas gayi tum puri zindagi ke liye," he chuckled. 
"Sirf is zindagi ke liye nahi... Har janam ke liye," she whispered.

"Dekhiye, muhurat shuru ho raha hai," the priest interrupted. "Aap log baith jayiye."

"Jee panditji," Raman replied.

"Raman, is sab ki kya zarurat thi?" Ishita asked.

"Ishita, we did everything backwards. First we became parents, then we got married, then we fell in love. I think it's time we did something right and got married for the right reasons. Main chaahta hoon hum apne phere phir se le, aur is baar shaadi ki har kasam khaaye, aur use zindagi bhar ke liye nibhaaye. Main chahta hoon tum zindagi bhar ke liye sirf meri bankar raho."

"Par main to hu hi aapki."

"Jaanta hoon. But now I want you as mine, regardless of whether we're parents, regardless of other people binding us together. Now I want you as mine and only mine, forever."

He outstretched his hand, and she accepted it wholeheartedly. They sat down in front of the sacred fire, as the priest began chanting the holy mantras. Their fingers remained intertwined as they were bound in holy matrimony again. 

Ishita sent a grateful glance to the divine idol of Goddess Meenakshi. She was the tutelary deity of Madurai, Tamil Nadu, but also an incarnation of Matarani Durga, the family goddess of the Bhalla family, symbolizing the fluidity between their Tamilian and Punjabi backgrounds. The goddess showered her blessings on the couple, joining them beyond their cultural differences, beyond time and space.

"Aap inki maang mein sindhoor bhariye," the priest said.

Raman filled Ishita's hair parting with sindhoor. 

"Ab inko mangalsutra pehnayiye," the priest instructed. 

Ishita removed her thaali from around her neck and handed it to Raman so he could put it on again. Instead, Raman pocketed her thaali and grabbed a rectangular box from the pooja platter in front of them. He lifted the lid off the box to reveal another bigger, newer, and shinier thaali. 

"Raman, what's this..." Ishita asked.

"Tumhe kya laga, mera Valentine's ka plan chaupat ho gaya to main bhul jaaunga? This is a new thaali for you. Asli sone ka. Bilkul tumhari tarah."

He wound the thaali around her neck as she moved her hair to the side to allow him to tie the chain. 

After a few more rituals, the priest tied her saree pallu to his angavastram with a pink cloth, marking their gathbandhan.

"Ab aap dono pheron ke liye khade ho jaayiye," he instructed. 

They stood up together, but before Ishita could take the first step around the pyre, she found herself lifted off her feet into her husband's arms. She squirmed with pleasure, goosebumps erupting all over her body.

"Madrasan, tujhe uthana ab mushkil hota jaa raha hai," Raman quipped. "Kuch khaana-baana kam karo."

Ishita smiled uncontrollably, even as she tightened her hands around his neck. "Mera diet bilkul theek hai. Aap thodi body banao. Healthy ho jaao."

"Mujhe thodi pata tha pehelwaan se shaadi kar raha hoon."

"Agar itni hi problem hai to mujhe baar baar apni baahon mein uthaane ki kya zaroorat hai? Chod do na mujhe?"

"Kabhi nahi," he said, eyes smoldering into hers, arms tightening around her body. "Kabhi nahi chodunga."

Ishita colored up under the heavy gaze of her husband, but even so, she couldn't tear his eyes off him. 

The priest began chanting the mantras, and they circled the sacred pyre, as they took their vows.

During the first round they said:

"Main vaada karta hoon, zindagi bhar tumhara, humaare bacchon ka, aur hamare parivaar ka khayal rakhunga," Raman promised.

"Main vaada karti hoon ki humaare ghar aur parivaar ko main humesha sambhaalkar, sanjokar rakhungi," Ishita vowed.

With the second round they pledged:

"Main humesha tumhaari raksha karunga, khud se pehle tumhaare baare mein sochunga," Raman said.

"Main zindagi bhar, aapke har sukh-dukh mein aapke saath khadi rahungi," Ishita promised.

With the third round they vowed:

"Main humesha khayal rakhunga ki humaare ghar ki har ek zaroorat puri ho. Dhan aur dhaanya ki kami kabhi nahi hogi."

"Main bhi vaada karti hoon, humaare kamaaye hue paiso se ghar ka aur parivaar ka acche se khayal rakhungi."

With the fourth round they promised:

"Main vaada karta hoon ki ghar ki har ek zimmedari mein tumhaara haath bataaunga."

"Main vaada karti hoon, humaare ghar ke prati apna har ek kartavya puri nishtha se nibhaaungi."

With the fifth round they swore:

"Main vachan leta hoon, apne career aur apni zindagi ki har important baat par tumhari salaah lunga. Aur tumhaare career ke har mod par tumhe support karunga."

"Main vachan leti hoon, aapke har faisle mein aapka saath dungi. Khud se zyada aapke bhale ke baare mein sochungi."

With the sixth round they declared:

"Main vaada karta hoon, tumhare alawaa kisi aur aurat ko apne dil mein jagah nahi dunga. Zindagi bhar sirf aur sirf tumse pyaar karunga."

"Main vaada karti hoon, zindagi bhar aap se loyal rahungi. Aap ke siva kisi aur ke baare kabhi nahi sochungi, aur sirf aapse pyaar karungi."

With the seventh and final round they affirmed:

"Main apne marte dum tak tumhara saath nahi chodunga. Apni puri zindagi aur apna har janam sirf tumhaare saath bitaaunga."

"Main bhi aapka saath kabhi nahi chodungi. Apni puri life aur aane wali har ek life main sirf aur sirf aapki patni bankar bitaaungi."

Raman put Ishita down on the floor as their pheras ended. 

"Congratulations, aap dono pati patni huye. Phir se," the priest smiled. 

Ishita snaked her hands around her husband's waist and rested her head in the crook of his neck, as Raman wrapped his arms around her torso, pressing her to himself. They closed their eyes, breathing in the divine scent enveloping them; the temple bells chimed above their heads; and her saree pallu and his angavastram fluttered in the wind tied in a gathbandhan. And the deed was done. The deal was sealed. Again. Forever. 

Khanna Industries - next day, Monday, 4th June, 6 pm

"What the hell is this, Ashok?!" Suraj fumed. "For the first time in ten years our company is running in the negative! We've been having loss after loss!"

"I'm trying my best, Suraj! I'm not a magician, am I?!" Ashok retorted.

Suraj stomped around Ashok's office, pacing back and forth, fuming at how irresponsible his brother had been with their company. With his company.

"Suraj, just calm down." Ashok stood up from his chair and walked around his desk to face his brother. "We'll be fine."

"How can you say that we'll be fine? Do you even have a plan to combat this?" Suraj asked. "Or am I going to have to clean up this mess too?"

"Fine... What do you suggest then?" Ashok lazily crossed his arms across his chest.

"Well, first things first, get rid of that Shagun. She spends more in a day than we earn in a week."

"Eh... It's fun having her around sometimes." Ashok thought of the past few days... or rather the past few nights.

"Says the guy who was flirting with the minister's daughter two nights ago," Suraj scoffed.

Ashok rolled his eyes. "Just go have a drink Suraj. Stop stressing so much."

Just then, the source of Suraj's stress walked in, clacking her high heels, her black sleeveless cocktail gown fluttering around her legs.

"Come on baby," Shagun said. "We're getting late for the party." Her clutch purse, her rings, her earrings, all glittered with diamonds.

"Let's go." Ashok straightened his suit and walked out with Shagun on his arm. 

Suraj slammed the door of the office as they left, his rage threatening to erupt violently. He had had enough. For ten years, he had been cleaning up Ashok's messes, quashing one controversy and affair after another, but he got nothing in return. He couldn't go like this any longer. Not when his precious company was at stake. If Ashok couldn't get his head out of his behind to see how much his business was suffering because of his conceit and illicitness, then Suraj was going to take matters in his own hands. 

He didn't give a damn about Ashok. He didn't give a damn about Shagun. He just needed to save his company, his business.

Author's Note: 

The vows that IshRa took in this chapter are based on the actual seven vows taken in a Hindu marriage. Also, based on my research, Goddess Meenakshi is an incarnation of Goddess Parvati who is worshipped in Tamil Nadu. Matarani or Goddess Durga is another form of Goddess Parvati, who is primarily worshipped in northern India. So basically the same goddess is worshipped by the Iyers and the Bhallas but in different forms. Interesting to think about....

This chapter was pretty much all clichés and cheesy fluff. The plot will move forward in the next chapters though. Lots of high-voltage drama coming up... Stay tuned ya'll! ❤️❤️❤️

P.S. By high-voltage drama, I mean stuff that'll take the story forward, nothing unnecessary or over the top. And of course, I promise a happy ending to each track. Trust me on that.

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice and interesting update please update next part soon 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 55

Bhalla House - two days later, 8:30 pm

"Dadu! Dadi! Look what Ayush gave me!" Adi burst in through the front door, waving a purple pamphlet in the air, with his father following behind him.

"Ki hoya puttar?" Omprakash asked from the sofa. 

"Look at this." Adi squeezed between his grandparents and opened the pamphlet. "There's regional football tryouts this weekend. It's open for ages 9-13. And I really wanna go. If I get selected, I'll be playing with kids from all over Delhi! We could go to national, even international meets!" 

"Wow, sounds really great beta," Toshi said, beaming at her grandson's excitement.

"Papa, can I go? Please please please?" Adi pleaded. 

Raman sat down on the opposite sofa, listening to his son's pleas. Ishita came by with a glass of water and handed it to him, sitting down beside him. 

"I think it's a good idea beta," Raman said. "What do you say Ishita?"

Ishita hesitated to agree. Adi loved football. But the moment he entered competitive football, it would turn into a source of stress instead of a stressbuster. But then again, he was already so competitive, just like his father. Maybe he needed an avenue to express it.

"Please Ishita Aunty?" Adi implored. 

"Okay beta. But only as long as it's not too stressful for you," Ishita conceded. 

"YES!" Adi jumped up in joy, punching his fists in the air.

Ishita and Raman chuckled at his excitement, pleased to see he had come out of his shell, and his confidence soared.

"Aap logon ko dinner karna hai?" Ishita asked.

"Nahi Aunty, maine Ayush ke ghar pe dinner kar liya," Adi answered.

"Raman, aapko?" she asked.

"Nahin." Raman groaned and stretched his back. "Adi ko lene gaya tab Ayush ke parents ne thoda thoda karke bahot kuch khila diya. Ab pet mein paani ke liye bhi jagah nahi hai. Mujhe bas seedha shower lekar so jaana hai."

"Thik hai, aap naah lijiye. Main kitchen samet kar aati hoon."

As Raman proceeded to the bathroom, Ishita cleaned up the kitchen, washing the remaining dishes in the sink. Before heading to her bedroom to turn in for the night though, she made a quick stop at the kids' bedroom. 

"Ishimaa, aaj kaunsi story sunaaoge?" Ruhi asked, as Ishita walked in. 

"Aap dono ko kaunsi story sunni hai?" she asked her kids.

"Ummm... pata nahi..." Ruhi rubbed her chin in confusion.

"Main suggest karu?" Adi said.

"Haan bolo na Adi," Ishita encouraged.

"Aap woh Yashoda Ma aur Krishna ki story suna rahe the na, waise hi koi story sunao na?"

"Chalo thik hai, aa jaao."

She situated herself in the middle of Adi's bed, as Adi sat beside her, while Ruhi climbed into her lap. 

"I'll tell you about the time when Yashoda Maa tied up Lord Krishna with a rope," she began.

"Wait really?" Adi's eyes widened in surprise. "She literally tied him up?"

"Yup."

Ishita narrated the tales of Krishna's mischief and how the gopis (maidens) of Gokul had complained to his mother. How Yashoda Maiyya had grown frustrated with her son and tied him to a grinding mortar as punishment. How Lord Krishna had dragged the mortar stone between two twin trees and brought them down, thus freeing the sons of Kuber from Narad ji's curse.

Adi listened to his stepmother with utmost concentration, in complete awe of Yashoda Ma and Krishna's relationship. The first time he had heard of their tale, he had felt such strong longing for such a mother. However, he had squashed his desires thinking that Yashoda Ma was a divine character, only to be found in tales and stories, similar to the 'evil stepmothers' he had once been afraid of.

But over the course of the last month, he had found such a mother in Ishita. She loved him and his sister beyond words. Even her scoldings and rebukes were conveyed with so much love. He had never been scared of her like he had of Shagun. He marveled at the difference in what he had thought of her and what she had proven to be. 

His weekly therapy appointments had helped him learn to think for himself and to accept the love coming his way. And now he knew... His mom had been wrong about Ishita. So wrong. 

"And that's how Yashoda Maiyya's punishment for little Krishna turned out to be a blessing for Lord Kuber's sons," Ishita said, ending the bedtime story.

She picked up Ruhi, who had fallen asleep in her lap, and laid her down on her bed, while Adi unfolded his blanket and pulled it up to his chin. 

"Good night Adi," Ishita said, as she turned off the light. 

"Good night Aunty," he replied.

Ishita left the kids' bedroom and entered her own, ready to turn in for the night. But turned out, she had yet to deal with her biggest baby. 

Raman stood in front of their wardrobe, a frown marring his lips, his hands on his hips.

"Ab aapko kya hua?" Ishita asked. 

"Look at our closet." Raman pulled his wife to their closet and showed her his problem.

"What's wrong with it?"

"What's wrong is that your clothes are taking up all the space!" he huffed, walking away.

"So what? I have more clothes than you, so obviously they'll take more space," she reasoned, turning to face him. 

"You don't have more clothes. You just happen to have bigger clothes."

Sometimes I hate every single stupid word you say

Sometimes I wanna slap you in your whole face

"Raman! Itni bhi moti nahi hoon main!" she shrieked.

"Dekha, chor ki daadhi mein tinka," he chuckled. "I'm not talking about your size madrasan. I was talking about the length of your sarees."

"Yeah right..." she scoffed, making to leave for the bathroom. 

"Accha naaraaz mat ho," he pleaded, pulling her back by her hand.

"Kyun na houn? Humesha mujhe pareshaan karte rehte ho," she pouted. 

There's no one quite like you, you push all my buttons down

I know life would suck without you

Raman snaked his hands around her waist, pulling her back against his chest, nuzzling her neck. "You look really cute when you're mad."

She pressed her lips to avoid smiling, maintaining her annoyance. "That's not going to work this time."

"I bet it won't..." He dropped a series of kisses along the nape of her neck, feeling her melt under the onslaught of his lips. 

At the same time, I wanna hug you

I wanna wrap my hands around your neck

Ishita arched her neck giving him more room, craving more of his touch, closing her eyes in pleasure. 

"You still think this isn't working?" he whispered between kisses.

"Yes..." she whispered back.

"So you're still upset?" He scraped her hair to the side, giving special attention to each inch of her exposed skin. 

"Yes..." 

"Anything I can do?" 

"Yes..."

Ishita continued saying 'yes' throughout the night, but in answer to an entirely different question.

You're an asshole but I love you

And you make me so mad, I ask myself

Why I'm still here, or where could I go

You're the only love I've ever known

But I hate you, I really hate you

So much I think it must be

True love, true love

It must be true love

Bhalla House - three days later, Saturday, 9th June, 7 am

"Are you ready Adi?" Ishita asked, zipping his backpack. 

"Yes Aunty." He rolled up his socks to his knees. "Main mom ko phir se message kar deta hoon. So she gets there on time."

"Ruhi, papa uthe ki nahi?" Ishita asked. 

"Nope," Ruhi said before taking another bite of her toast. 

Ishita sighed and headed to their bedroom. Adi's regional football tryouts were today, and they had to get to the field by eight o'clock. Both her kids were up and ready, but Raman refused to budge. 

"Raman, wake up already." She sat on the edge of their bed and shook her husband's sleeping form. "Utho na baba, please..."

Raman groaned and turned on his side, facing away from his wife. "Sone do na thodi der."

"Aiyyo aaj hi Ravan kumar ko Kumbhkaran banna tha?" she muttered in exasperation. "Raman, Adi ka match ek ghante mein shuru ho raha hai. Please uthiye na."

Instead of waking up, her naughty husband pulled her down on the bed, wrapping his arms around her. "Ek kaam karo, tum bhi so jaao thodi der," he yawned.

Ishita pushed back on his chest and straightened herself, escaping from his hold, much to his disappointment. "Aap ko is waqt yeh sab sujh raha hai?" she chided him.

"Kya yaar..." Raman sighed, closing his eyes again. 

Just once try to wrap your little brain around my feelings

Just once please try no to be so mean

Repeat after me now R-O-M-A-N-C-E

Come on I'll say it slowly (Romance!)

You can do it babe

Ishita stood up from the bed and chewed her lip. Time for plan B. She left the bedroom and found her kids on the couch. 

"Adi, Ruhi, come here," she beckoned. 

Two minutes later, all three of them burst into Raman & Ishita's bedroom. 

"WAKE UP PAPA!"

"UTHO RAMAN!"

Raman jerked awake as he found his blanket pulled off his bed, whining at the loss of warmth. 

"What the hell?!" he yelled as he sat up, running a palm down his face.

"Good, you're finally up." Ishita bundled up the blanket and threw it on the couch.

At the same time, I wanna hug you

I wanna wrap my hands around your neck

"All three of you are done for." Raman climbed off the bed and gave chase. 

Adi and Ruhi squealed in delight as they escaped to the living room, but Ishita wasn't so lucky. She found herself caged in his arms before she could cross the threshold of their bedroom.

"Ab ruk, tujhe mazaa chakhaata hoon," he threatened playfully. 

"Woh sab baad mein. Abhi jao, naah lo, aur ready ho jao." She pushed him towards the bathroom and broke free of his clutches. 

Raman ruffled his hair, hiding a smile. He may love his early morning sleep, but he loved these smiles more.

You're an asshole but I love you

And you make me so mad, I ask myself

Why I'm still here, or where could I go

You're the only love I've ever known

But I hate you, I really hate you

So much I think it must be

True love, true love

It must be true love

https://youtu.be/c6vsHF3E9NU

Arch Sports Field - 8:30 am

The whistle sounded and Adi set off with the football. He kicked it across the grass and ran behind it, barrelling towards the goal. He passed it to his teammate who kicked it to the goal, only for the ball to be stopped by the other team's goalkeeper. Five minutes later, the opposite team scored a goal much to Adi's dismay. He somehow took over the ball and kicked it to the goal.... and missed. 

Adi grew distressed as the opposite team gained an advantage. He wiped the sweat on his forehead with his sleeve, glancing at the scoreboard apprehensively. His next glance went to the bleachers, and his anxiety eased somewhat. Ishita, Raman, Ruhi, Toshi, and Omprakash sat in the bleachers, waving and cheering for him, boosting his confidence. But his mom wasn't there, despite his many calls and messages. Where was she? 

The coach blew his whistle again, and Adi turned his attention to the ball, infused with newfound strength. He and Ayush teamed up kicking the ball to each other and finally scoring a goal for their team. Their match continued, with the kids showing their best skills, and the team selectors noting down their strengths and weaknesses. 

The match ended in a tie, and the selectors congratulated the boys on a good show of skill. They promised to email the results of the team selection as well as mail a formal letter of selection after their region-wide tryouts ended. 

"How did I play guys?" Adi asked, as they all headed to the parking lot.

"Tu te chaa gaya puttar!" Toshi exclaimed.

"Bahot accha khela aapne beta," Raman said.

"Kahan accha khela?" Ruhi intervened. "Bhaiya ki team jeeti to nahi."

"Ae Ruhi chuhi! Tujhe pata bhi hai kitna hard hai ek goal karna?" Adi flicked her in the head. "Zyada smart mat ban tu."

"Bhaiya! You flicked me!" Ruhi scrunched her eyes in annoyance, glaring at her brother and rubbing her head where he had flicked her. 

In response, Adi stuck out his tongue at her. 

"Bhaiya!" Ruhi screamed and jumped at him, as Adi swiftly parried her attack and ran off. 

Ruhi gave chase, much to her mother's concern.

"Adi! Ruhi! Don't run around the parking lot! Gaadiyaan hai aas paas!" Ishita picked up the pace to follow her children. 

However, before any of them could get any farther, a familiar car pulled into the parking lot. Adi stopped in his tracks, causing Ruhi to almost bump into him. Ishita came up behind them along with the rest of the family, as they surveyed the black Mercedes Benz that had pulled in. 

Shagun stepped out of the back seat, eyes covered with sunglasses. Her mouth curved up in a smile at seeing her son and then turned into a scowl at seeing everybody else.

"Adi, is your match over?" she asked.

"Yes mom," he answered. 

"Did you make the team?"

"They'll email us the results later. But mom, where were you?" Adi asked, questions and accusations in his eyes.

"I was busy," she replied curtly. 

"But mom, I texted you three times to remind you-"

"Adi enough!" she gritted out, rubbing her throbbing head.

Adi's face fell in disappointment. How he wished his mom would've come on time. It was his first time trying out for a major competitive league and she hadn't made it. Every time he had looked over to the bleachers, the absence of his mother had pinched him in the eye. But he should've known. He should've learned to expect disappointment by now. After all, this wasn't unlike the rest of his special events. Usually, he could pacify himself saying his mom was busy or tired. But he wasn't in the mood for it anymore.

Raman ground his teeth, angry at his ex-wife for hurting and disappointing his son over and over again. Especially when Adi kept forgiving her, continuing to give her more and more chances. Maybe it was time for him to see his mother for who she really was.

"What exactly were you busy with Shagun?" he asked, calling her bluff. The sunglasses on her eyes, her fingers rubbing her head... He could easily tell she was sleeping off a hangover.

"I don't owe you any answers, Raman," she spat out. 

"That's true. But you do owe Adi an answer."

Shagun averted her eyes, looking away. 

"Because you don't work a job, right? Like Ishita or me? Neither are you elderly or sick or tired like Adi's grandparents. So... what were you busy doing?" Raman crossed his arms across his chest, proving his point. 

Adi exhaled heavily from his nostrils. Dad was right. How was mom always busy or tired or unavailable when it came to him and his necessities? His father handled his huge business, but was still always available for him and Ruhi. His stepmother worked as a full-time dentist, but she was still constantly at their beck and call. He knew of his grandmother's aching knees, his grandfather's back pain, Rinki bua's job, Romi chachu's growing responsibilities at the office... Yet they all found time to spend time with him and attend his special events. So what was stopping his mom?

Shagun gulped and scrunched her nose in haughty irritation. Rather than answer Raman's questions, she turned to Adi. "Beta, I was thinking of going shopping today. Do you want to come and buy some new video games?"

Adi discreetly rolled his eyes. Helped by his family and his therapist, he had learned to allow himself to healthily express every emotion he felt, rather than hide it under a facade. And right now, he was miffed with his mother. It was always like this. It was always about what his mom wanted. Never mind what he wanted, or even needed. 

"What say Adi?" Shagun repeated.

Adi turned to his father instead. "Papa, can we go home? I'm really hungry."

Raman ruffled his son's hair and smiled. "Sure beta. Let's go."

Raman guided his children and family to their cars, him and his wife driving them home, leaving behind a shell-shocked Shagun.

She was used to always being the center of attention. More importantly, being at the center of her son's attention. He had always loved her, sought to please her, sometimes been scared of her, and in rare instances, even gotten upset with her.

But today, for the first time ever, Adi had ignored her. He had walked off without giving her an answer, pretending as if she wasn't even there. She stood there, unable to process what had happened. She wasn't mad, she wasn't dissappointed, she was simply... shocked.

"Adi..." she whispered into the air to no one in particular. But her son was long gone.

Bhalla House – a week later, Sunday, 17th June, 11 am

"Is everything ready here?" Romi asked. 

"Almost..." Ruhi placed the candles on the cake as Rinki finished decorating the edges with icing.

"Adi, tum yeh dishes taste karke bataao na, sahi hai ya nahi?" Ishita asked. "Yeh sab non-veg hai."

"Sure Aunty." Adi picked up a couple spoons and tasted the curries laid out on the table. "It's all good Aunty. Spicy and chatpata," he said a couple minutes later.

"Oh no! Mumma ka message aaya hai! They're on their way back!" Simi exclaimed. "Sab log chup jaao, jaldi!"

Everyone scrambled to their hiding spots. Adi and Ruhi crouched down behind the sofa; Simi and Ishita hid behind the kitchen counter; and Romi and Rinki creeped into the closest bedroom, hiding behind the ajar door.

Their front door clicked open and Toshi walked in with her husband and son trailing behind. 

"Maa, aaj ke baad kabhi mujhe apne saath shopping par mat le jaana," Raman complained. "Dimaag ka dahi ho gaya. Itni dhoop mein ek dukaan se doosri dukaan humein ghumaaya..."

"Raman sahi keh raha hai, Toshiji," Omprakash joined in. "Aap ne aaj bargaining ki had kar di..."

"Maa kasam, toothpaste aur toothbrush ke liye paanch-dus rupiye ki bargaining-" 

Before Raman could continue ranting, noise exploded around him. Six bodies shot out of nowhere and yelled, "SURPRISE!"

Raman and Omprakash dropped their shopping bags in surprise as they stumbled back. Toshi hobbled forward and joined Simi and Ishita. 

"What's all this?" Omprakash asked.

"HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!" the crowd yelled. 

Ruhi and Adi ran up to Raman, enveloping him in a bear hug, almost toppling him over. Meanwhile, Rinki, Simi, and Romi walked up to Omprakash, touched his feet, and hugged him. Both fathers were brought over to the dining table and they almost gasped at the sight. 

A large rectangular chocolate cake sat in the middle, covered in blue icing and chocolate ganache. Copper casseroles of their favorite chicken and mutton curries surrounded the cake, along with piles of naan and basmati rice.

"To yeh sab planning chal rahi thi aap logon ki?" Omprakash asked.

"Ek minute..." A light bulb turned on in Raman's head. "Maa, kya isliye aap ne humein pure market mein ghumaaya?" 

Toshi laughed without abandon. "I had to keep you guys occupied, you know." 

"Papa! Ab cake kaato na!" Ruhi urged.

Raman and Omprakash cut the cake, feeding their children and wives, and gobbling up massive bites of chocolate cake in return. Simi served two plates for the two fathers and sat them down for lunch.

"Papa, Bhai, aap log lunch shuru kijiye. Aur yeh batayiye ki taste familiar hai ya nahi," she said.

They pulled up their chairs and dug into their food... and smiled at the first bite.

"Yeh khaana 'Kakke da Dhaba' mein se laaye?" Omprakash asked, relishing the taste of their favorite Punjabi dishes from their favorite roadside dhaba.

Simi nodded. 

"Lekin woh to lagbagh ek ghanta door hai!" Raman exclaimed.

"Tabhi toh aap dono ko itna ghumaya bahar!" Toshi answered. "Wahan se khaana laane mein Romi ko do ghante lag gaye. Aur Adi-Ruhi ko yeh cake bhi banana tha na?"

"You guys made this cake? At home?" Raman asked, genuinely surprised, even as he chomped down on naan and chicken.

"Yes papa!" Ruhi squealed.

"Technically Ishita aunty helped though," Adi said, giving credit where credit is due.

"Except for the eggs," Ishita clarified. "Adi did all that. Cracking and beating the eggs and all."

Adi laughed silently recalling how his Brahmin Ishita Aunty's face had screwed up in disgust at the prospect of handling raw eggs. 

After lunch, Ruhi demanded her father and grandfather sit down on the sofa so they could start the gift giving session. 

Romi gifted his father a portable back and neck massager. Rinki and Simi had saved up together and bought him a luxurious care package, containing his favorite cologne, body wash, shaving cream and razors, face masks, chocolate truffles, and a bottle of his favorite red wine. 

Meanwhile, Ishita pulled Raman aside and discreetly handed him a small gift-wrapped box.

"I know you didn't have time to buy a gift for papaji," she explained. "So this is from us."

Raman smiled. Not only had it slipped his mind, he had also been quite busy at work over the past week. But he was never worried. He had his wife to count on. 

"Thanks madrasan," he whispered. 

"Chaliye."

"Ruk do minute." He stopped her by the hand and whispered in her ear. "You didn't have lunch. Sab non-veg tha isiliye? Kuch veg order nahi kiya apne liye?"

"Aisa nahi hai," she explained. "Vandu Akka and I are taking Appa out for lunch later. I'll eat then."

"All right. That's fine then."

They joined the crowd again and Raman handed his dad their gift. Omprakash tore off the wrapping paper and opened the box to reveal a brand new fitbit smartwatch.

"Ae te badi changi ghadi hai puttar," he commented.

"Sirf ghadi nahi hai papaji," Ishita interrupted. "Aap ise apne phone ke saath connect karke apni heart rate, breathing, walking steps, sab kuch track kar sakte hain. Yahan tak ki aap ki sleep cycles aur neend ki quality bhi record kar sakte hai."

Omprakash's eyebrows raised up in surprise. He promptly put on the watch and took Romi's help connecting it to his phone's bluetooth, while Adi and Ruhi lined up to give Raman their gifts. 

"Papa, this is for you." Ruhi handed him a square box wrapped in hot pink gift wrap.

"Beta, kam se kam is gift ko toh pink mein wrap nahi karna tha?" Raman chuckled, as he tore open the box. He flipped the lids open and pulled out a sleek black mug that said in white cursive letters...       💙My first love, my forever hero, my dad 💙

Raman's lips turned upwards and his eyes watered. "Come here beta." 

He pulled his daughter forward, cocooning his little girl in his arms, dropping a wet kiss on her cheek. 

"Papa! Aapki daadhi chubhti hai!" Ruhi pulled back and rubbed her cheek in mild annoyance. 

Next, Adi presented his gift, a large but thin rectangle-shaped frame wrapped in green gift wrap. 

"Yeh kya hai Adi, itna bada?" his father mused, even as he opened his gift. 

When he finally gazed at his son's present, his watering eyes spilled over. It was a collage of old and new photos of him and his son, surrounded by a thick silver frame. Each old photo was taped adjacent to a newer one, highlighting the passage of time, the years that had gone by. But in every photo, their smiles were unchanged. Even with the years they had lost, they never lost out on their love, their bond. 

"Maine dadi aur bua ki help li thi saare photos print karne ke liye... Um... how do you like it papa?" Adi asked, his heart in his throat.

"I... I love it beta..." Raman's voice was low but flooded with emotion. "These are the best gifts ever."

He momentarily set down the collage and opened his arms for his kids. As he hugged his son and daughter, his wife lovingly gazing at them, he forgot every moment of every year he had lost with them. Life was paying him back for everything he had missed out on. 

Little did he know, life was a bitch.

Bhalla House – Next day, Adi and Ruhi's bedroom, 4:45 pm

Adi scrolled through Rinki bua's tablet, immersed in the young adult e-book she had purchased for him. One more page... one more page and he'd know who kidnapped the royal prince.

"Bhaiya! Adi bhaiya!" His sister stormed into the room and he groaned, even as his eyes remained fixed to the screen. 

"Whaaaat?" he gritted out.

"Shravu aaya hai next door, periamma aur periappa ke saath. Chalo na uske saath khelenge!" she squealed.

"Tum jaao, I'll come later," he whispered. The villian was going to be revealed soon. He couldn't afford to even move, much less leave his book. 

"Bhaiya chalo na!" Ruhi pulled on Adi's hand, but he was too engrossed in the e-book. 

Ruhi sighed. Her parents were still at work. Dadi was in the living room with her friends Pammi and Dolly Aunty, glued to the TV's most dramatic Indian soap opera. Dadu had his head stuck in a newspaper. And Adi bhaiya was glued to this e-book. Hopefully the people next door were less boring.

"Ugh... fine. Main hi jaati hoon." Ruhi ran out of the bedroom, with a quick goodbye to her grandparents in the living room, before flying next door to play with Shravu.

Adi's eyes ran across the page over and over. He reached the last paragraph of the chapter. The prince was in the hideaway, tied to a chair, a black cloth covering his eyes. The cloth was removed and he blinked his eyes open, adjusting to the darkness, as his kidnapper's figure appeared before him. His vision focused and he saw his kidnapper, who turned out to be... 

Adi gasped. The prince was kidnapped by none other than... his own mother. He read the last paragraph again. And again. And again. All along, she had been the wolf in the sheep's clothing. 

He turned off the tablet, staring into space, trying to process the plot twist he had just read. Just then, a knock sounded on his bedroom door, snapping him out of his reverie. 

"Hi Adi beta," Shagun said. "Your dadi said you were in here, so I came in to meet you." She sauntered in and sat down on his bed beside her son. "Kaise ho beta?"

"I'm fine mom," he replied with a smile on his face. "How are you?"

"I'm good beta..."

Shagun detailed the latest of the parties and functions she had attended, regaling about the newest dresses and jewelry she had bought. Even so, she left out the uglier details. How Suraj had taunted her and degraded her for her spending, unaware that this was now the only source of joy in her life. She ruminated on the recent lack of attention from Ashok, how he ignored her, how his gaze wandered to younger and skinnier women nowadays. As it turned out, his love had highs and lows. It was never constant, never reliable.

She had just escaped the Khanna Mansion after another ugly fight between both brothers. A fight regarding money over anything else. Her anxiety had heightened, scared that another home of hers was being threatened because of lack of money. 

Therefore, when she saw no light around, she naturally floated over to the one source of light in her life, like a moth to a flame. Her son. Because his love was constant, always reliable.

"How was your weekend beta?" Shagun asked Adi, when her narration was over.

"It was a lot of fun mom. We all celebrated Father's Day together!" he beamed. "And Ruhi and I made a chocolate cake. She kept licking the batter and Ishita Aunty had to ask her to wash her hands over and over again." He rolled his eyes as he described his sister's antics. 

"And I had to break and beat the eggs, you know? Ishita Aunty doesn't touch eggs. She's a pure vegetarian. You should've seen her face when I read that point from the recipe." He laughed as he imitated his stepmother's scrunched up face.

Shagun's nostrils flared in anger. "Isheeta, Isheeta, Isheeta! Tum bhi in sab Bhallas ke tarah uska naam ratne lage na!" she yelled, roughly getting up from the bed, glaring down at her son.

Adi exhaled roughly, standing up to face his mother. "Why are you so mad at her mom?" he asked innocently. "She never says anything bad about you. In fact, no one here badmouths you. Then why do you always have to say such bad things?"

Shagun staggered back slightly. This was the first time Adi had ever talked back to her. "What the hell did these people do to you?" she sneered. "Is this how you talk to your mother?!"

Adi met her eyes, his gaze unblinking. He wasn't scared anymore. "Mom, Ishita Aunty is actually very nice. Please don't say such bad things about her."

Shagun's eyes widened and she saw red. Adi was the one person she relied on to be there for her. He was supposed to be her constant support, her ever reliable pillar. Now even he was slipping from her fingers. If she lost him... She would be all alone. No, she couldn't let that happen. 

"Isheeta is your stepmother Adi!" she boomed. "It's all a hoax! Woh sirf tumhe pyaar karne ka naatak kar rahi hai! She doesn't love-"
"No mom!" Adi interrupted. "She's really genuinely that nice. You're wrong about her! You were wrong about everyth-"

The rest of his words died on his tongue, as a resounding slap landed on his cheek. He staggered back, clutching onto the desk behind him for support, as his eyes pooled with heartbreak. No one had ever slapped him before. This was what he got for daring live freely. For falling in love with his family. For being brave enough to speak up in their defense. 

"Shagun! How dare you!"

"Yeh kya kar rahi ho tum?!"

Two angry, shocked voices echoed from the doorway, their footsteps becoming louder and louder as they apporached Shagun and Adi. 

Raman pulled Shagun away by the hand as Ishita stepped in front of Adi, shielding him protectively. Adi tightly clutched the pallu of her saree, hiding behind her figure. How the tables had turned! He was hiding from his own mother – his own flesh and blood – behind his stepmother.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Raman fumed. "How dare you hit him?! Aaj tak maine aur Ishita ne humaare bacchon par apni aawaaz tak nahi uthayi, aur tumne humaare bete par haath uthaane ki himmat ki?!"

Shagun wrenched her hand free. "He's my son, Raman! I get to decide what to do with him! He disrespected his mother and needed to be taught a lesson," she spit back. 

"ENOUGH!" Raman bellowed. "He's not an object that you get to own or a chess piece you can boss around for your own pleasure! Uski bhi feelings hai, emotions hai. Tum kabhi uske baare mein kyun nahi sochti?!"

"Shagun, tum uski maa ho," Ishita added, fiercely protecting Adi behind her. "Tumhaare har faisle mein tumhe khud se pehle uske baare mein sochna chahiye. The moment you became a parent, he should've always come first!"

"Ho gaya shuru tumhaara lecture?" Shagun mocked. "Tum apna muh band-"

"Zabaan sambhaalke Shagun!" Raman roared. "Biwi hai woh meri!"

"I've had enough of you both." Shagun sidestepped Ishita and grasped Adi's hand behind her. "Come on Adi. We're leaving."

She dragged Adi out of the room, her fingers bruising his upper arm, much to Ishita and Raman's utter shock. 

"Shagun, what the hell are you going?!" Raman shouted.

"Ruk jaao Shagun! Use aise lekar mat jaao!" Ishita begged.

"Mom! Mom please stop!" Adi pleaded, tears streaming down his face. "Mom, I'm sorry! Main phir se aisa kabhi nahi bolunga! Please mujhe lekar mat jaao! Please mujhe yahin rehne do!" he sobbed. But his pleas fell on deaf ears.

By now they had reached the front door, crossing over into the lobby between the Iyer and Bhalla houses, and mostly everyone had gathered, trying their best to stop Shagun.

Toshi cried out for her grandson, pleading Shagun not to leave with Adi, even as she was supported by Dolly and Pammi. Omprakash tried his best to calm down his wife, as he simultaneously begged for Shagun to stop, horribly reliving a flashback from five years ago. Madhu and Vishwa joined their pleas, their heart breaking at Adi's plight, a grandchild they had grown to love just as much as Ruhi and Shravu. Bala sent over compassionate glances and words to Adi, trying his best to get him to calm down while keeping a glance over on his six-month pregnant wife, hoping the stress didn't prove too much for her.

Ishita called out after Shagun, pleading her not to take Adi away. She had already felt the pain of being separated from a child. She couldn't take it again. She dashed towards them, stubbing her toe on a nearby table, but darted forward anyway, ignoring the throbbing in her foot. Somehow, she managed to catch Adi's hand, only for Shagun to wrench it free and pull him away. 

Raman ran behind Shagun, yelling and sobbing, internally cursing his life for repeating history from five years ago. He couldn't bear to watch his son go again. Not when he clearly didn't want to leave himself. He would fight tooth and nail, climb mountains and swim across fire... But he wouldn't watch his son be taken away. Not again.

He managed to step in front of his ex-wife, stopping her before she could reach the elevator and leave with his son in tow.

"Tum Adi ko lekar nahi jaa sakti Shagun!" he declared, eyes raining hellfire.

"I can and I will, Raman," she answered. "Agar tum chaahte ho ki Adi yahan rahe to Isheeta ko yahan se jaana hoga!" she declared. "Iski wajah se mera beta mujhse zubaan ladaane lagaa hai!"

Ishita was knocked back as she registered her threat, hurting her as a blow to the head. On the other hand, Raman erupted with rage.

"Ishita kahin nahin jaayegi!" he roared. "Aur naahi Adi kahin jaayega!"

Shagun laughed haughtily. "Don't forget Raman. I hold Adi's custody. No one can stop me from taking him away. Not you, not the police, and not the courts. If any of you stop me now," she addressed all the gathered Bhallas and Iyers, "then I'll call the cops on you!"

She sneaked past her ex-husband and dragged her son into the elevator. Undeterred by her threat, Raman stepped forward to follow them, only for the elevator doors to close on his face. He ran to the stairs, taking them two at the time to reach the parking lot, but by the time he got there, he saw Shagun's Mercedes pull out and speed away with his son. Adi was gone... Again.

Shagun sped her car down the road, steaming with anger. This was it. She was taking Adi back. Everything she had control over was slipping from her grip, but Adi was not going to be one of those things.

In the back seat, Adi struggled to keep his sobs under control, as he twisted his neck and peered out the window, watching his building get tinier and tinier, retreating into space, until it disappeared. The sight itself jammed razor blades into the flesh of his heart, shredding it to pieces. He was being taken away from his family. Again.

"Adi, please chup ho jaao!" Shagun yelled as his cries increased in pitch. "Tum apni maa ke saath ho kisi kidnapper ke saath nahi!"

Then why didn't he feel like he was with his mother? Where was the love and warmth and affection he had learned to expect from a mother? The kind that his stepmother showed? All along he had been wary of Ishita's intentions and motivations. When he should've been worried about his own mother instead. 

His worst nightmare was coming true, being orchestrated by none other than... his own mother. He replayed her stinging slap in his mind again. And again. And again. All along, she had been the wolf in the sheep's clothing.

Shagun halted the car at a red light behind a long line of unmoving cars. The light turned green almost immediately, but none of the cars budged, owing to a traffic jam. Horns and angry expletives sounded all around, and Shagun groaned in frustration. 

Adi couldn't stand it anymore. He couldn't stand being with his mother, his fright and anxiety overwhelming him in a flooded wave. He couldn't stand going back to the loveless empty mansion, where men like Ashok and Suraj lived. Even the thought of going back to the bleak and dreary Khanna Mansion, when he had lived in such a lively Bhalla House for so long, nauseated him. He had to do something. Now.

As the clamor of horns and the shouts of angry drivers filled the air, Adi did the first thing that occurred to him. He unlocked the car door, scrambled out, and ran. 

He ran away from the traffic jam, away from his mother, away from every trouble and fear in his life. He ran until his lungs burned, until his face was drenched from sweat instead of tears, until his legs turned to jelly. He just ran...

Meanwhile, back at Akash Ganga Society

Raman climbed up the staircase, out of breath, determined to get his son back. He wasn't going to let history repeat itself again. Not when he and his son had come so far. 

He rushed into their floor to find his distraught family in the lobby. They all pounced on him for answers but Raman was quick to reassure them. 

"Aap log chinta mat kijiye. Main abhi Adi ko lene jaa raha hoon," he said. "Ishita, meri gaadi ki chaabi kahan hai?"

Ishita hesitated to answer. If she gave him his keys, her hot-headed husband would speed down to the Khanna Mansion to get back their son. But she also knew that Shagun wouldn't budge. 

"Raman, aap aise gaadi lekar peeche mat jayiye," she suggested.

"Kyun na jau?!"

"Just think Raman. Aap abhi un dono ke peeche jaayenge to kya Shagun maan jaayegi? Nahi na? Woh Adi ko waapis nahi aane degi, aur hum use force bhi nahi kar paayenge. She holds legal custody."

"Then what do you suggest?!"

"Aap... um..." The wheels turned in her head. "Ek kaam kijiye. Aap Pathak ko phone karke puchiye."

Raman chewed his lip as he forced himself to rethink his stance. If there was one thing that could ground him in a time of crisis, it was his wife's voice. And she was right. Now was the time to use his head, not force. He fished out his phone to dial Pathak's number but was interrupted by his mother's cries who was being ushered into their living room by her friends.

"Woh chudail humaare bacche ko le gayi aur hum kuch nahi kar paaye!" Toshi wailed.

"Toshi, Toshi, tu ro mat," Pammi urged. "Sab kuch thik ho jaana hai."

Pammi, Dolly, and Omprakash tried their best to comfort a devastated Toshi, but to no avail. They surrounded her on the couch of the living room, fanning her and rubbing her back, as Raman and Ishita watched them from the threshold of their door.

"Woh aurat to maanne se rahi... To mera puttar ghar kaise aayega?" she cried out.

"Ek idea hai..." Dolly mused. "Shagun ne kahan agar Adi yahan rahega to Isheeta ko yahan se jaana hoga. To agar woh kuch din ke liye Iyer house shift ho jaaye to..."

A loud crack sounded across Ishita's heart. Apparently the universe had planned more plight for her than just seeing her son be dragged away from her sight.

Raman thought he couldn't have been angrier than when he saw his ex-wife drag his crying son away. But he was proven wrong.

"Aap ko pata bhi hai aap kya bol rahi hai?" he hissed in a low, deadly voice. He snaked an arm around his wife's lower back, holding her close. 

"Dolly, tu apna muh band rakh!" Toshi wiped her tears away, anger taking over her grief. "Mera pota chala gaya toh kya main apni bahu ko ghar se jaane ko bolungi?! Iski wajah se hi yeh ghar ghar hai! Yeh meri bahu kam beti zyada hai!"

The slight flutter of anxiety in Ishita's chest abated. Her family had her back. She wiped her tears and took a deep breath, even as her husband fumed at their guest.

"Dolly Aunty, agar aap humari madad nahi kar sakti toh please apne ghar chale jaayiye," he said with as much respect as he could muster. "Yeh humaare ghar ka maamla hai, aur hum sab ise milkar suljha lenge."

Even at such a low volume, his voice was icy deadly, and every hair on Dolly's body stood up.

"So-Sorry R-Raman..." she stammered. "Mera matlab to bas... I mean temporary solution..."

Raman ignored her pathetic excuses and donned the swift, sharp CEO mask. Now wasn't the time for all this. He had other, more important things to work on.

After one last reassuring glance to his parents, he turned to his wife. "Ishita, tum mummy aur papa ko andar lekar jaao. Main sab se pehle Pathak ko phone karta hoon."

"Okay Raman," Ishita gulped.

Her husband darted into their bedroom. But before she could usher her in-laws in their bedroom, her gaze wandered around. "Ruhi kahan hai? Kahin usne yeh sab dekha to-"

"Don't worry Ishu," Vandu spoke up from across the lobby. "Shravu aur Ruhi dono andar ke kamre mein khel rahe hain. Tu uski fikar bilkul mat kar."
"Thanks Akka." Ishita placed a hand on her sister's forearm. "Kya aap use kuch ghanto ke liye wahin occupied rakh sakti hain? Yeh saara maamla suljhaane mein waqt lagega."

"Of course Ishu... You don't worry at all. Ruhi aur Shravu ko main sambhaal lungi. You go and figure this mess out."

Ishita nodded in appreciation at her sister before herding her in-laws inside. As she consoled Toshi and Omprakash, urging them to sit in their bedroom and have some water, Raman called Pathak in their bedroom, informing him of the situation and asking about their legal options. 

The call went on for fifteen minutes and Raman grew frustrated by the moment. 

"What do you mean we can't bring him back today?!" he roared into the phone. 

"Bhai, the civil courts work really slowly. Even if we file for custody today, we won't get an answer back for at least two or three weeks. I can get the paperwork started today, but it will take time," Pathak answered. 

"Three weeks?! Absolutely not! I don't want my son staying with that woman for another three minutes, much less three weeks!" he yelled. "She hit him, Pathak! She slapped my son across the face!"

"Wait... Really?" Pathak's voice turned low with shock. "That's... that actually works in our favor."

"Excuse me? How exactly does my son getting slapped work in our favor?" he hissed. 

"Bhai, don't get mad. Just listen to me with a calm mind. If Shagun actually hit Adi, that means there's evidence of abuse. In cases of abuse, the courts work at the speed of light." Pathak's brain brewed with a plan. "Bhai, I'm going to file for an order to remove Adi from Shagun's care. I'll go to the courts myself and get a hold of as many judges as I can and get the order passed. By the end of the day, she won't be his guardian."

"Does that mean I can bring Adi home again?"

"Yes bhai. He should be back home for good by the end of the day. Once he's back, we can talk about making you his legal guardian. For now, I'm just going to remove Shagun as his guardian."

"That's perfect Pathak. Thank you so much."

Raman hung up the phone and pocketed it, as he slumped down on the couch. He finally saw a ray of hope, thanks to Pathak, but his heart was still throbbing in pain.

Ishita walked into their bedroom and grew concerned at her husband's state. She was in the exact same boat. 

"Raman..." she whispered, as she came in to sit down beside her husband, draping her arm across his shoulders, massaging them to calm him down. 

"Adi waapis aa jaayega," she said. Although she couldn't tell if she was trying to reassure him or herself. 

"Is baar use sirf waapis nahi laana. Use humesha ke liya le kar aana hai," he mused. "I want his legal custody. We should be his parents. Not Shagun."

"What are our options? Pathak ne kya kaha?"

"He said he's going to file for an order to remove Adi from Shagun's care. In fact, he promised me that he'll get the order today. We can get him back by the end of the day."

"That's great..."

They sat together like that, in complete silence, their breathing harsh and painful. Raman slipped down from the couch and sat on the floor, dropping his head into his wife's lap. 

"I feel like history is repeating itself..." he whispered.

"No it's not," Ishita said with complete conviction. "Adi will be back before we know it." She carressed his hair and bent down to kiss his head, even as a lone tear escaped from the corner of her eye.

"I believe you. When you say it, I almost believe it," he sighed. "Ishita?"

"Hmm?"

"You're not thinking about what Dolly Aunty said, are you?" He raised his head to meet her eyes. He knew his wife to be selfless. But could she really entertain this thought? "Tum kahin mujhe chod kar jaa-"

Ishita pressed her palm against his lips to stop him from verbalizing their worst fear. "I can't even stomach the idea," she said. "Hum dono ke dur hone ka toh sawaal hi paida nahi hota." 

She sat down on the floor beside him and he took her into his arms, bringing his lips down on hers. She returned the gesture with equal fervor, pouring their desperation and vulnerability and anxiety into each other, clinging to each other's unwavering pillar of support. And thus, even in the shadow of anguish surrounding them, they found a flicker of hope.

They didn't come apart until Raman's phone rang.

He removed his phone from his pocket, and they both gasped at the name on the screen: Shagun. He answered the call and put the phone on speaker, but before he could a word in edgewise, Shagun said something that shook the ground beneath them.

"Adi... Adi ran away. A-And... I can't find him now."

Rashid Psychiatry – 5:10 pm

Adi panted at the entrance, hesitating to go in. When he had run away from Shagun's car, he had no destination in mind. He had simply run to escape the darkness engulfing him. It wasn't until he had been running for ten minutes straight when he realized he had lost his way. Thankfully, he recognized the street he had found himself in, realizing that his therapist's office was just a block away. 

Now he stood at the door of the building, breathing heavily, wiping sweat from his forehead and neck, thinking about whether to go in or not. Thankfully his decision was taken for him when the door opened and his therapist walked out.

Dr. Zoya hoisted her purse onto her shoulder and laid her eyes on the boy front of her, her movements stilling from shock. Sweat dripped down his neck, tears stained his face, redness flashed on his cheek, and tiny bruises spotted on his arm. 

"Adi, what happened beta?" she asked, concern lacing her voice. "Come in, come in." 

She opened the door and ushered him in, getting him situated in her office. She had no more appointments for the day and was getting ready to go home, but clearly Adi's crisis demanded her immediate attention.

"Tell me beta. What happened?" she asked. 

"My mom hit me today." Tears trailed down Adi's cheeks as he revealed his mother's actions. 

Dr. Zoya listened attentively, hiding her shock and concern under a mask, keeping on a neutral clinical face. Even so, her anger heightened. Shagun's abuse had been emotional and mental so far. Today was the first time it turned physical. She had to do something.

Akash Ganga Society Compound – 5:40 pm

"Bhai, maine aur Rinki ne puri building mein dekh liya. Adi yahan nahi hai," Romi said.

"Uske friends ko bhi maine phone lagaya lekin un logon ko bhi pata nahi Adi kahan hai," Ishita informed them.

"Main aur Bala aas-paas ke sabhi cafes aur shops mein dekh kar aaye, lekin uska koi pata nahi hai," Raman relayed. 

Romi, Rinki, Raman, Ishita, and Bala were gathered in the compound after spending a frantic half hour trying to find Adi, but their efforts proved futile. 

"This means he didn't come back here," Raman said. "Ab ek hi raasta hai. Humein wahin jaakar dhundna hoga jahaan se woh bhaaga tha."

Before they could proceed to their cars however, Raman's phone rang.

"Who is it now?" he muttered in frustration, as he answered the call.

"Hello, may I speak to Mr. Raman Bhalla please?" a woman said.

"This is him."

"Mr. Bhalla, this is Dr. Zoya Rashid. I wanted to let you know that your son is at my office, and he's safe and sound."

Relief washed over him even as the uncertainty of the last hour knocked into him. He lost the balance in his wobbling legs, and Ishita and Romi came up beside him to support him.

"Kya hua Raman?" Ishita asked, eyes shining with a sheen of utmost concern. 

"It's Adi's therapist," he whispered. "He's at her office."

Everyone breathed a collective sigh of relief. Bala folded his hands together, sending a thanks to Murugan. Romi and Rinki hugged each other, thanking Matarani for keeping their nephew safe. Ishita leaned against her husband, dropping her head on his shoulder, breathing a shaky exhale.

"Is he okay?" Raman asked into the phone.

"Physically yes," Dr. Zoya replied. "He told me what happened. And how he ran away. I thought you guys must be worried."

"We were... Thank you... Thank you so much for calling us. We'll come get him right now. We'll be there in fifteen minutes."

"Okay sure."

He hung up the call and pocketed his phone. 

"Ishita come on. Let's go pick him up."

"Haan chaliye Raman."

"Bhai, main bhi chalu?" Romi asked.

"Nahin tu idhar hi ruk. Tum aur Rinki jaa kar mummy papa ko sambhaalo. Aur Bala tum bhi ghar pe ruko. Amma-Appa ya Vandu ko shaayad tumhaari zarurat pad jaaye. Aur Ruhi aur Shravu bhi ghar par hai. Main aur Ishita Adi ko lene jaate hai."

Saying so, he and his wife left. 

They reached Rashid Psychiatry in a flat ten minutes. 

Immediately, they rushed into Dr. Zoya's office and saw Adi sitting beside her on the couch. A wave of relief almost knocked them over, and they cried tears of happiness.

"Adi!"

"Papa! Aunty!"

Adi jumped into their arms, and his parents enveloped him, wrapping him in a safe coccoon, as the three of them clung to each other. Raman dropped a kiss on Adi's head as Ishita carressed his head. 

"Kya soch raha tha tu Adi?! Aise koi bich sadak se bhaag jaata hai kya?! Tumhe kuch ho jaata to?" Raman interrogated him as they came apart.

"Adi, aapko pata bhi hai humaari kya haalat ho rakhi thi?" Ishita hiccupped. "Kaise kaise khayal aa rahe the man mein-"

"Sorry Aunty. Sorry Papa..." he sobbed. "I just... I couldn't... I couldn't stand it... Papa, I don't want to leave your house... I don't-"

"You're not going anywhere beta," Raman declared. "Your Aunty and I will make sure of it."

"Excuse me, Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla." Dr. Zoya begrudgingly interrupted their happy reunion. "I'd like to speak with you. Privately."

Ishita and Raman exchanged concerned glances. They nodded at each other as understanding passed through them. 

"Adi, let's go to the car," Ishita said. "Papa doctor aunty se baat kar ke phir aayenge."

Ishita led Adi out to the car, as Raman turned to Dr. Zoya.

"What's wrong doctor?" he asked.

"I wanted to let you know that I've reported Shagun's abuse to the child welfare department. Adi should not, in any circumstance, return to her care."

"Don't worry doctor. My lawyer and I have already filed a motion in court to have her guardianship removed."

"That's good. I'd also like to increase the frequency of Adi's appointments. He made a lot of progress over the past two months but I think he still needs more attention. Can we make his appointments twice a week instead of once a week?"

"Sure, of course. Whatever you say."

After finalizing the schedule of the rest of Adi's appointments, Raman walked out to his car to join his wife and son, finally breathing with relief. 

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update Adi is very brave and please punish Shagun badly let her learn a nice lesson please update next part soon