Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Part 56

Bhalla House – 10 pm

"Adi yeh lo, thoda doodh pee lo." Ishita handed Adi a tall glass of warm chocolate milk, which he readily accepted and gulped down.

"How are you feeling now beta?" Raman asked.

"I'm okay dad," Adi replied between sips of chocolate milk.

He was seated comfortably on his parents' bed, his father beside him with an arm protectively draped across his shoulders while his stepmother came to sit on the other side. After the ordeal they had had today, this moment of respite was more than welcome.

When they had reached home from the clinic, Adi had immediately been taken into his grandmother's arms, as the rest of his family scrambled to hug him, caress him, and pretty much do anything to convince themselves he was back. After a long reunion session, Raman had gently urged his frantic family members to back away and give his son a moment to breathe. 

The rest of the evening had been spent fussing over Adi. Toshi and Omprakash made sure he ate, Romi and Rinki distracted him with video games and puzzles, while Ishita and Raman dealt with Shagun and the accompanying legal mess. 

Flashback to three hours ago

Toshi and Ishita fed Adi, coaxing him to eat despite his diminshed appetite, while Raman silenced his phone, fed up of Shagun's constant calls. He had sent her a curt message telling her Adi was found and would be staying at his house from then on. Naturally, a barrage of angry messages and missed calls had come his way, which he promptly ignored. His phone vibrated again and he muttered under her breath, deciding to switch it off instead. 

But when he looked at the screen of his phone, he realized it was a call he had to attend. He quietly stepped away from his family and answered Pathak's call.

"What is it Pathak?" he whispered.

"Raman Bhai, can you and bhabhi come to the child welfare office right now?"

"Right now? What's so urgent?"

"Shagun is here. And she's complaining her son is being held illegally by you guys."

"What?! What nonsense is this?" he spoke up, utterly shocked. 

"I know Bhai. But at the end of the day, even she has legal rights. Thankfully, I was here to get this legal motion filed for Adi and I saw her. I've handled the situation as best as I could and convinced the officials not to call the police but you guys need to come here and tell your side of the story."

Raman groaned aloud. This woman was not going to let them leave peacefully. "Fine. We'll be there as soon as we can."

"Thanks bhai."

Immediately, Raman pulled his wife aside, informing her of the situation, and they decided to leave for the child welfare office. They quickly bid their goodbyes to their family, paying extra attention to their son, explaining that they had to tie a couple loose ends. Adi suspected they were going to deal with Shagun, and he had many questions. Whether she was okay, whether she was mad at him, what she would do next in retaliation, and much more. But he was simply too exhausted to entertain those thoughts. Instead, he waved his parents goodbye, assuring them that he would be fine with his grandparents and aunt and uncle until they came back. 

After a final goodbye to their son, they had stopped next door to check on Ruhi, who was engrossed in a Lego building competition with Shravu, unaware of the happenings outside of the confines of their room. She chose to stay back and have dinner with her Periamma and Paati who in turn assured Ishita and Raman that Ruhi would be well cared for while they dealt with the legal mess. 

Once assured of their children's well-being, they drove off to whatever hell awaited them.

Pathak greeted them at the office and rushed them into the inner chambers of the officials, as he explained Shagun's newest trick. 

"She's claiming that because she holds sole custody of Adi and she hasn't given permission for him to be at the Bhalla House, you are holding him illegally," he explained. "You just need to explain to the officals what happened in the past hour and why you're keeping him away from her."

Raman had been quick to explain Shagun's misdeeds which Pathak had followed by offering a copy of Adi's birth certificate (proving Raman's biological relationship to his son) as well as the signed motion he had filed to vacate Shagun's guardianship. 

"This is nonsense, Mr. Bhatt!" Shagun screamed, addressing the official as he read the legal documents Pathak had handed him. "This paperwork doesn't mean anything! Aditya is still my son!"

"Ms. Arora, please calm down," Mr. Bhatt replied. "Give me a few minutes to review everything."

He breathed through his nose, reading every document meticulously, going over Shagun and Raman's stories. But even without the actual content, he could see from behavior itself who had the upper hand. A calm, sharp man vs a screaming, crying woman. Normally, he wasn't the kind to write off a hysterical woman as crazy and her claims as unfounded. Normally, Mr. Bhatt was a feminist. He had seen many separated and divorced women face injustice as their abusive in-laws snatched their children away, and their predicament was not unlike Shagun's. However, in this case, he could not bring himself to side with the woman, no matter how hard he tried. She gave off an extraordinarily arrogant and negative vibe. But even so, he needed to keep his own bias away when making a decision. 

For more information on the custody details, he pulled up Aditya's file on the computer, hoping to get an idea of his parents' dynamics from the records of the previous custody case. As he clicked on his file and pulled up his details, he was astonished to see that it had been flagged for review. His eyes widened as he read Dr. Zoya Rashid's note reporting the abuse, and he knew without a doubt that he couldn't side with Shagun.

"I've reviewed the details here, and I believe it's best if Aditya remains with his father for the time being," Mr. Bhatt spoke with complete authority.

Ishita and Raman breathed a sigh of relief, Pathak smiled at his victory, while Shagun erupted with anger anew.

"What?! How can you say that?" she shrieked.

Mr. Bhatt turned to her and spoke with absolute authority. "Ms. Arora, not only does Adi's father have a signed motion to vacate your guardianship, but Adi's psychiatrist has also reported that you've abused him. All of this has flagged his case for review. Knowing what we know now, we can't send him back to you. Aditya will be staying with his biological father for now." He turned to Raman next. "Mr. Bhalla, can you and your wife sign some paperwork attesting to your legal responsibility and your capability as parents as long as Aditya is in your care?" 

"Yes, yes absolutely!" Raman said eagerly.

"Good. Then that's that. Ms. Arora, if you disagree with my decision, then you can take it up with the civil court. Considering that Aditya's case is flagged, I believe he's custody case will reopen soon. You can contest for your rights then."

Ishita and Raman had signed the necessary paperwork and left with Pathak, leaving behind a fuming Shagun. They had arrived home and discreetly explained the situation to the Bhallas and Iyers, informing them that Adi would stay at Akash Ganga and Shagun had no legal rights on him until the custody case reopened. But one task still remained: they had to explain all of this to Adi himself.

Flashback ends

So now, Ishita and Raman sat on their bed, on either side of their son, debating how to bring up the topic.

Adi licked his lips and handed Ishita the empty glass of milk which she deposited on the side table. 

"Adi beta..." Raman began. Adi turned his head to face his dad. "Ab se tum yahin rahoge. Humesha ke liye, thik hai?"

A weak smile broke across Adi's face. As happy as he was to live with his dad, he was extremely wary of how his mother would react.

"Is mom okay with that? What if she gets mad?"

"Don't worry about her beta." Raman was quick to assure him. "Ishita Aunty and I talked to her face to face. Humne unhe samjha diya hai ki aapko yahan rehna accha lagta hai. Yahan aapke dada-dadi aur tata-paati hai, phir Ruhi aur Shravu ke saath aap kabhi bhi khel sakte ho, chachu aur bua ke saath masti kar sakte ho... Humne sab kuch aapki mumma ko bataya. She understands that you get lonely at Khanna Mansion, so she won't object to you staying here." 

"Oh okay..." Adi still wasn't convinced though. "Are you sure she's okay? I-I mean... Sh-she was so mad... What will she say when she comes to meet me again?"

Raman's arm around his son tightened. "She's not coming back here," he said before he could stop himself. 

"What does that mean?"

Raman sucked in a deep breath. "Beta... Remember when your mom won your custody in court five years ago?"

Adi nodded. 

"Well, after what happened today, that decision is being looked at again. What your mom did today is unacceptable. And that's why her guardianship has been revoked. She doesn't have your custody anymore."

"What does that mean?"

"That means Ishita and I are your temporary guardians. And to determine permanent custody, your custody case will open again."

Adi's eyes widened in surprise. Memories from five years ago flashed in his mind of his parents fighting over him in court. Memories that preceeded the worst phase of his life. 

Raman read his son's fears correctly. "Adi beta, tum bilkul daro mat. Is baar aisa kuch nahi hoga jo pichli baar hua tha." 

Despite his doubts, Adi chose to believe him. But that brought up another dilemma. "But dad, if the judge decides I can stay with you, then what will mom do? She'll be so lonely. Who'll take care of her?"

Raman was left momentarily speechless. Even after everything that woman had done, his son was still worried for her.

"Beta, Shagun is an adult." Ishita intervened on behalf of her husband. "She can take care of herself. You don't need to worry about her. Let us adults do the worrying."

"Aunty, isn't it... isn't it possible to just forget all this? We can just forget about today and return to normal." The possibility of another custody case frightened Adi.

"No beta," his stepmother said sternly. "We can't just forget what Shagun did today." Ishita caressed Adi's cheek, soothing the ache that Shagun's slap had left. "Adi, Shagun raised her hand on you. No one gets to do that. No one – absolutely no one – gets to hit you. We do not tolerate even the slightest of abuse in this house."

Ishita made sure to reiterate her statement until it was etched in stone in Adi's head. She knew very well how much a child's relationship with their parent affected every other relationship in their life. She didn't want Adi unconsicously tolerating any kind of abuse for himself, neither from his mother nor from anyone else.

Silence permeated through the room as Adi understood the weight of what had transpired today. It was only until Ruhi entered their room when the silence broke. 

"Ishimaa, aap aur papa ab sirf Adi bhaiya se pyaar karte ho na?" she pouted with her hands on her hips. "Mere bina hi sleepover kar rahe ho? Meri to koi importance hi nahi hai."

Ishita shook her head in amusement as she stood up and lifted her daughter into her arms. "Kyun draamebaaz? Abhi kuch der pehle Ishimaa ne aapko humaare saath sone ke liye bulaya tab to aap ne kahan na ki aap busy hai? Periappa ke saath snakes and ladders khel rahe the?" Ishita resumed her position beside Adi with Ruhi in her lap. 

"Aur waise bhi Ru," Raman interjected, "aapke bina humaari family complete kaise ho sakti hai? Aap se hi toh hum sab ke rishte judne ki shuruwaat hui thi."

But Ruhi was not convinced. She crossed her arms against her chest and turned her head away from her family, a dramatic frown marring her lips. Adi rolled his eyes and took matters into his own hands.

"Omg Ruhi chuhi, tu kitna naatak karti hai," he sighed. "Ruk ja tu."

Adi wiggled his fingers towards her and tickled his sister until her frown changed into uncontrollable laughter. 

Ishita and Raman exchanged a meaningful glance. Their children were okay. Adi had become extremely resilient. Even after such a harrowing ordeal today, he had managed to find laughter and happiness. Meanwhile, Ruhi had been protected from the mess that transpired, ensconced in the confines of the Iyer house, occupied by Shravu, Vandu, and Bala. It had been a bad day, but all was well now.

The siblings' laughter session ended soon as the family of four went to bed. Raman pulled up the blanket and Ishita hugged Ruhi and Adi, as she put them to sleep with a bedtime story. They slept like that all night, Ishita and Raman cloaking their children in a protective and comforting cocoon, hidden from the troubles of the world.

.....................................................................................................................

Bhalla House – Three weeks later, Sunday, 8 July, 3 pm

The whistle of the pressure cooker sounded in the kitchen along with the sharp clicking sounds of carrom pieces in the living room. 

"Yes! Ab Rani meri!" Romi exclaimed. He positioned himself and struck his finger against the carrom piece, but missed his goal. "Ugghhh..."

"Chachu, my turn now." Adi adjusted his stance and took the shot... but he too missed. 

"Tum dono ek se badhkar ek ho," Raman said. "Watch and learn." He leaned forward and struck the carrom piece, finally making the winning shot. "Dekha!" 

Adi rolled his eyes. "Okay yeah, fine... Whatever."

He rearranged the carrom pieces, getting the board ready for another game. In the kitchen, Simi and Ishita turned off the stove and lights, before joining the next game. Adi, Ruhi, Raman, Romi, Simi, and Ishita spent the next hour or so playing carrom and pictionary.

The storm from three weeks ago had been all but forgotten. Adi had taken a while readjusting to his normal life. He had been plagued with a nightmare or two in the week after the incident, but ever since, he had been sleeping soundly again. His therapist had insisted he sleep in his own room so that his independence not be disrupted. With her help in the past three weeks, he had managed to heal from the hurt Shagun had left on his heart. Now, he was as normal as ever, back to his confident, chirpy, and sometimes stubborn self. 

Dinner that night was a simple affair: masala khichdi with mix vegetables accompanied with buttermilk and yogurt.

"Yeh kya hai madrasan..." Raman sighed. "Punjabi chicken-shicken khaane wale logon ko rukha-sukha khaana khila rahi ho?"

Ishita filled everyone's glasses with buttermilk and sat down in front of her own plate. "Aaj ka lunch bahot heavy tha, Raman. Kabhi kabhi aisa light khaana bhi khaana chahiye," she said. 

Raman shook his head even as he ate spoonfuls of khichdi. 

"Ishimaa... mujhe yeh nahi khaana," Ruhi frowned at the tasteless porridge on her plate. 

Ishita chewed her lip as she figured out how to deal with her daughter. 

"Ek kaam karte hai, isme thoda aam ka aachaar daal ke mix kar dete hain. To aapko bahot accha taste aayega." She mixed a hearty helping of mango pickle into her daughter's khichdi and fed her a bite. "Ab kaisa hai?"

"It's better now, I guess..." Ruhi sighed and continued eating her dinner. It actually tasted really good now, but stubborn as she was, she wouldn't admit it.

Dinner progressed silently. Towards the end, Raman received an email notification, which caused him to brighten up upon reading it. 

"Well... I just got some news that could lighten up this boring dinner," he drawled. 

"What?"

"Kya?"

"Which news?"

"I just got an email and it says... Adi has been selected for the regional football team!" Raman exclaimed. 

"OMG! Really?"

"Yes!"

"Congratulations Adi!"

Adi erupted with joy at the news, as everyone from his family hugged and congratulated him. 

"Bhabhi, ab itni acchi news mili hai, to kya hum khichdi se celebrate karenge?" Romi asked. 

Ishita rolled her eyes, pressing her lips to suppress a smile. "Accha fine. Fridge mein do tub ice cream pade hai. Dinner ke baad usse celebrate karenge."

An elaborate ice cream session followed their boring dinner. 

"Madrasan, ab tumhi dono bacchon ko sulaane jaana," Raman whispered to her in the midst of the ice cream party. "I'm not going to deal with the ensuing sugar rush." He gulped down a spoon of chocolate ice cream. 

"Maine khud hi apne pair par kuhaadi maari na?" Ishita mused aloud.

"Hmmm... ab bhugto," Raman laughed. 

As her husband had foretold, it surely was a task for Ishita to put her children to sleep. She finally got them to sleep after three different bedtime stories and a long negotiation session over the next day's menu. 

When she finally returned to her own bedroom, she found her husband in his night clothes, sitting on the bed, ready to turn in for the night. 

"So... how did it go?" Raman smirked.

Ishita removed her night clothes from the cupboard and faced her husband. "Don't say it."

"Don't say what?"

"Don't say 'I told you so.'"

"Come on Ishita, I'm not that mean."

Ishita left for the bathroom and groaned as her husband called out behind her, "I told you so!"

She came back to her room five minutes later and sat down, facing the dressor mirror, as she applied her night cream. As she finished her night routine, her husband came up behind her, locking eyes with her in the mirror, and every sense of hers heightened. 

"Ishita..." Raman whispered in a low, husky voice. 

"Yes?"

"I have something for you." 

Raman brought his arm in front of Ishita and presented a tiny red velvet pouch. She eagerly untied the pouch to retrieve two jingling silver anklets.

"Raman, yeh payal... Kab laaye aap?" She was rendered speechless.

"Aaj subah grocery lene gaya tab supermarket ke jewelry section mein dekha. Socha tum par bahot acche lagenge." He smiled at her as she blushed under his gaze. 

"Raman, iski kya zarurat thi?" She turned in her seat and faced her husband. "Aap mujhe itni gifts mat dijiye. Pehle yeh ring, phir yeh thaali... Pichle hafte aap bina baat ke mogre ka gajre le aaye. Aur ab yeh. You know I don't need all this."

"Yeah I know." He knelt down on his knees to face her at eye-level. "Lekin main apni biwi ko pamper karna chaahta hoon. Tumhe koi problem ho rahi hai?" 

"Woh baat nahi hai. Aap itna kuch karte hai mere liye... I feel like I'm not doing enough for you. Itna pyaar mujhse handle nahi hota."

Raman chuckled as he tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. "You think you're not doing enough? Madrasan, I could gift you everything I own and it still wouldn't be enough."

Raman leaned forward and kissed his wife. He knew his madrasan would never ask for anything from him. She had accepted him for just him, all his wealth and power be damned. Those worries had been erased a long time ago. Oddly, that only made him want to spoil her more.

"Pehen ke dikhaao na, kaise lagte hai?" he asked, as he pulled away.

"Aap khud pehna dijiye," she answered.

He smiled and took the anklets from her hand. He ran his hand down her right leg and wrapped the payal around her ankle, scorching her skin even with the barrier of her stretchy white leggings. He repeated the action with her left leg, igniting heat in her body. 

"Perfect," Raman remarked. 

"I look good with them?" Ishita asked.

"No. They look good because they're on you."

"I love you, Raman."

"I love you too, Ishita."

That night, Mrs. Bhalla showed her husband just exactly how much she loved him, the clinking of her anklets and their ragged breathing being the only sounds in their bedroom.

.....................................................................................................................

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Office – a few days later, Thursday, 1 pm

"Sarika, are there any more patients for me today?" Ishita asked the receptionist.

"No ma'am, all your appointments are done," Sarika answered.

"All right then. I have a half-day today, so I'll be leaving now."

"Ma'am, before you leave though, can you meet Dr. Batra once? He was looking for you earlier."

"Okay sure."

Ishita smoothed down her purple saree and hoisted her purse onto her shoulder, as she proceeded towards her supervisor's office.

She knocked on his door and peeked in. "Dr. Batra? Sarika said you were looking for me."

"Yes yes Dr. Bhalla... Come in." Dr. Batra closed his open files and faced her. "I just wanted to ask about the upcoming dentistry symposium. Will you be attending?"

Ishita fidgeted with the pallu of her saree. She had read the email announcement last week, but she still hadn't decided whether to go or not.

"I'm not sure sir. I haven't decided yet," she answered truthfully.

"Oh I see... The reason why I ask is because I've been invited to present my research, the same project that we've been collaborating on. So I'd love for you to attend as well. We can present our work together. Plus, it's a great opportunity to learn about other research and advances in our field."

"It does sound very interesting." Ishita bit her lip in thought. "I've talked with my husband about it, and I do hope to attend, but our son's custody trial is coming up. So I'm not sure how my schedule will work out."

"Oh yes... Your stepson Aditya, right?"

Ishita nodded.

"Okay no worries. The conference is still many weeks away, so we have time. Just let me know if you plan to attend."

Ishita nodded and left the office. She pondered her decision as she entered her car and sat on the driver's seat. She had been to a couple smaller conferences when she was in dental school, and as Dr. Batra had said, they were great opportunities to learn and collaborate with other doctors and scientists. Even this year, she had the desire to go. But Adi's custody case was coming up soon. She didn't know if it would even work out.

She sighed and shook her head. This decision will just have to wait until after Adi's custody trial. Until then, she could just focus on her work. 

She set her purse on the passenger seat and tied her seat belt. But instead of shifting the gear from park to reverse, she chewed her lip, deep in thought. She had a half-day today, which meant she had four more hours to pass before everyone came home from work. Ruhi and Adi were at their friends' place, her parents and in-laws were out for various errands, and while Mihika was back from her honeymoon, she was busy getting settled at Mihir's place. Which meant she'd be all alone at home with nothing to do.

So instead of going home, she pulled out of the parking lot and drove off to meet her favorite person.

Raman's office – 1:15 pm

"So Mihir, are you ready to work now? Or is the honeymoon hangover still on?" Raman asked, raising his eyebrows.

The two brothers were seated in their conference room, having just wrapped up a meeting with their leadership team.

Mihir pocketed his phone and cleared his throat. "Of course I'm ready to work bhai. Why do you ask?"

"Because this is probably the tenth time I've found you looking at your phone today. Waiting for Mihika's calls and messages?"

Mihir sighed. "It's not that bhai... Mihika is redecorating my apartment. I mean, our apartment. And I'm kinda nervous..."

"Why?"

"Because she's a bit... over-enthusiastic, to put it mildly. Pure ghar ka naksha badal degi. Aur bhagwaan na kare kuch tut-wut gaya..."

Raman chuckled lightly. "This is what you get for marrying an Iyer girl."

"Bhai, kya aap bhi..."

"Tu tension mat le yaar. Ab woh ghar Mihika ka bhi hai. Toh use bhi haq hai apne hisaab se aur comfort ke mutaabik ghar ko arrange karne ka."

Mihir nodded silently. 

"Okay, baatein bahot ho gayi." Raman straightened his back and changed from brother to boss. "First of all, you need to get caught up on the work we've done for the Tokyo clients. It's a multi-year, multimillion-dollar contract, so make sure you get each and every detail from Romi. He's been my right hand man on this while you were away."

"Got it bhai. I'll get started on that right now."

Mihir and Raman left the conference room and parted ways. While Mihir sped off to Romi's desk to catch up on the work he'd missed, Raman hightailed it to his office. He walked in and shut the door, slumping down onto his chair, stretching his arms and cracking his back. 

He opened his laptop and checked his email inbox before resuming work on his presentation. He was twenty minutes into his market research when a knock on his door interrupted him. 

"Come in," he said, without taking his eyes off the screen, not noticing the figure who had walked in. 

It wasn't until something large was placed on the middle of his table, and flashes of red, yellow, blue, and green reflected off his laptop screen, that he tore his eyes off his work... and gasped. A large bouquet of red roses, yellow sunflowers, bluebonnets, and lavenders rested against a backdrop of lush green leaves. He was mesmerized by their beauty and fragrance. 

"Do minute phool se nazar hathaakar phool laane wale par bhi nazar daaliye na?" a voice said. 

Raman moved the bouquet to the side and craned his neck to see his wife sitting on the other side of the table, eyebrow raised flirtatiously. And his face brightened up like the sun.

"Tum kab aayi?" he asked. 

"Jab aap apne laptop mein ghuse hue the tab."

"Lekin is waqt? Aur yeh phool ke saath?"

"Mera half-day tha aaj. Aur ghar par abhi koi nahi hoga. Isiliye socha ki thodi der aapse milne aa jau. Aur raaste mein ek flower shop mein yeh phool dikhe mujhe. Socha aap ke liye le lu." She shrugged, dismissing her small gesture as unimportant. 

On the other hand, Raman's heart skipped a beat. No one had brought him flowers before. A bouquet of beautiful flowers brought by his beautiful wife. What better gift could he ask for?

"Accha... Matlab tumhe koi kaam nahi tha to mere office aa gayi? Jaise ki main to yahan par free baitha hoon na?" he remarked, hiding a teasing smile.

Ishita narrowed her eyes and glared at her husband. "Fine. Agar mera aana accha nahi lagaa to main chali jaati hoon."

Ishita made to get up but was stopped by her husband's hand on hers. 

"Mazaak kar raha hoon yaar, madrasan." He guided her around the desk and pulled her into his lap. "I love that you're here. And I love these flowers too."

Ishita shifted on her husband's lap, burrowing closer to him, even as her eyes remained locked with his and her frown turned into a smile. Raman trailed his finger down her cheek and lips, eliciting shivers on her body.

Ishita caught his wandering hand before he progressed any further. She loved the way he teased her, overpowered her, caused her heart to beat out of control. But right now, she wanted to try something new. She knew now what effect she had on her husband. It was time for her to take ownership of it.

She lowered his hand and let it go, trailing her fingers loosely up his chest, settling them on his face. Before her husband could grasp the change of events, Ishita leaned in and pressed a kiss on his jaw, causing him to draw in a breath. 

"Ishita..." he whispered, voice heavy with desire.

"Hmmm?" she asked, feigning innocence, even as her lips trailed up his jaw to his ear. 

"W-We're in the off-office... Koi aa jayega..."

"Koi nahi aayega," she whispered into his ear. "I locked the door when I came in." She kissed the shell of his ear. 

Raman groaned aloud. He had never seen his wife be so bold. And he loved it.

Ishita worked her magic on him, giving special attention to every inch of face and neck, while Raman closed his eyes, sighing in pleasure. After minutes of Ishita's soft kisses and tender touches, her husband lost his patience. He roughly jerked her forward, covering her teasing lips with his, and then... they were lost.

They came up for air minutes later, gasping for oxygen. 

"What's gotten into you today, Ishita?" Raman asked, panting and out of breath.

Ishita shrugged, lowering her eyelids, coloring up under his passionate gaze. "Bas aise hi..."

"You're something else madrasan," he whispered, throwing his head back against the chair. 

Ishita rested her head on his chest, breathing harshly, hearing his heart beating against his rib cage, much like her own.

"I should get going now," Ishita said minutes later when she finally found her breath again.

Raman sighed in regret. "Do you have to go?"

"Kyun? Aap hi ne kahan tha na aap yahan free nahi baithe hai?" she smirked. 

"That was before you... did all this..." 

Ishita bit her lip and lifted her head off his chest. "Jokes apart Raman, I really should go. You need to get on with your work." 

She lowered her feet to the floor and made to get up, only to have her husband tighten his arms around her waist.

"Raman, kya-"

"Just give me a minute, Ishita," Raman groaned, cutting her off. 

He dropped his forehead onto her shoulder, breathing in and out, in and out, in and out, trying to get his raging desire under control. He loosened his arms minutes later, finally letting her stand up. 

"You'll regret this madrasan. Iska jawaab toh tujhe milega."

"I doubt I'll regret it." She winked at him and dropped a kiss on his cheek before escaping his office. 

That night, the couple didn't even make it to their bed, when Raman took his revenge. And just as Ishita had predicted, she didn't regret it one bit.

Bhalla House – one week later, Wednesday, 18 July, 7 am

The alarm rang on Ishita's bedside table, and she threw her hand on it, silencing it again. She stretched languidly, sitting up in bed. The cobwebs of her sleep cleared up, as she turned on the lamp and glanced at her phone screen. She saw the date and smiled.

Immediately, she turned over to wake up her husband, only to find his side empty and sighed in disappointment. She hadn't spoken to him until after dinner last night. He had gone to sleep before she came back to the room and now, he had left for an early morning meeting without waking her up. He had informed her of this meeting yesterday, but still... she hadn't expected him to leave without saying goodbye.

She threw off her blanket and dropped her feet to the floor, and the ensuing movement caused a peculiar piece of paper to fall out. Out of curiousity, she picked up the paper, unfolded it, and skimmed her eyes down the page.

Madrasan,

First of all, I'm sorry for leaving without saying goodbye. I know you hate it when I do that. But you look so peaceful when you're asleep, I never have the heart to wake you. 

But I promise to make it up to you tonight. It's such a special occasion after all. You didn't think I'd forget, did you? Wish you a very happy anniversary my love. 

Ishita, you came into my life last year and upended it. You were the person I last expected to encounter and the person I most needed. You were like an oasis for a man parched in a scorching desert. And in this past year, you have changed my life. I went from living in hell to thriving in heaven. I could never have imagined that I'd be so lucky to have you as my wife. And I'm grateful for it every day.

Let's celebrate our year-long journey. Meet me at The Hearth today at 4. I've already cleared it with mummy and papa. They'll handle Ruhi and Adi for the night. Tonight, it's just going to be you and me. 

There's a gift in the closet for you. Make sure you wear that today. You know I love your kapdo ki thaan but this time, I want to see you in something else. I'll be waiting. 

Forever yours,

Raman ❤️

Ishita ran her eyes across the letter over and over again, her fingers glued to her mouth, as a deep blush rose up her face. Her cheeks hurt from the width of her smile and her eyes were covered with a sheen of pure joy.

Immediately, she rushed to the wardrobe, threw the doors open, and gasped. She found in front of her a bouquet of white lilies and jasmine flowers – her favorite. She picked up the bouquet and surveyed the garden fresh flowers, inhaling their fragrance. The action revealed another designer Nookie bag that had been hidden behind the bouquet.

She placed the bouquet on the table before turning her attention to the designer bag. In it, she found the dress her husband had mentioned in the letter. It was unlike her usual wear, but she knew Raman wanted to see her in it. And she was thrilled to abide.

The Hearth Hotel & Restaurant – 4 pm

Raman glanced at his watch again as he tapped his foot impatiently, fidgeting in the private booth he had reserved for him and his wife. He had gotten dressed at the office itself, and his wife was due to come from her clinic. He had told the hostess to bring her directly to the private booth, and he hoped she would be on time.

He craned his neck around the corner, his attention sharpening at every figure who walked by including waiters, chefs, other diners, and sometimes even the manager. But sadly, none of them were his wife.

After the longest five minutes of his life, Ishita appeared. Her eyes were lined with lush kajal, and her lips were covered in red matte lipstick. Half her hair was styled into a halo braid adorned with tiny white flowers while the rest of her hair cascaded down her back in loose curls, unlike her normally straightened hair. His eyes shone with love as he gazed at his wife. 

She walked closer and that's when Raman noticed the rest of her appearance. It was all he could do to not drool in public. She wore the dress he had gifted her: A long red maxi dress that ran to her knees, fitted with split flutter sleeves, perfectly fitting her curves. It was true, she carried sarees with the utmost grace, but turned out, she looked just as bewitching in western wear.

He stood up to greet his wife, taking her hand in his and laying a kiss on the back of her hand.

"Wow..." he whispered, tightening his fingers around hers. "Aaj to tum meri jaan hi le logi." He ran his eyes down her figure, from head to toe.

Ishita glowed under his amorous gaze, even as she continued her own surveying. Her husband was dressed in a crisp black suit and white shirt, hair gelled back in style, eyes lidded with desire. She smiled at her husband's choice of wear; after all, she loved him in black. 

"Aap bhi bahot acche lag rahe ho," she managed to say. 

He nodded towards the table and they sat down, their hands remaining locked throughout. 

"Happy anniversary Raman," Ishita said, once they had placed their orders.

"Happy anniversary madrasan." Raman kissed her hand again. "Can you believe it? I managed to spend an entire year with you without pulling my hair out."

Ishita rolled her eyes. "Must've been hard huh?"

"Eh... I suppose I managed."

They were served with appetizers followed by their main course, which included Ishita's spaghetti marinara and Raman's meat lasagna. But even so, they paid less attention to their food and more to each other, reminiscing about the memories they had made, the obstacles they had faced, and the love they had shared in the past year.

"To many more years of togetherness." Raman picked up his glass of champagne. 
"To us." Ishita clinked his glass with her own glass of sparkling cider.

The light instrumental music changed into a romantic ballad, and Raman quirked an eyebrow. Ishita shook her head in amusement, smiling as she understood her husband's sign. 

They stood up, hands intertwined, and arrived at the dance floor, swaying to the music. 

Dekha hazaron dafa aapko

Phir beqarari kaisi hai

Sambhale sambhalta nahi ye dil

Kuch aap mein baat aisi hai

Aagosh mein hai jo aapki

Aisa sukoon aur paaye kahan

Aankhen humein ye raas aa gayi

Ab hum yahan se jaaye kahan

Dekha hazaron dafa aapko

Phir beqarari kaisi hai

Sambhale sambhalta nahi ye dil

Kuch pyar mein baat aisi hai

Mmm.. hmm..

Phir beqarari kaisi hai

Mmm.. hmm..

Kuch pyar mein baat aisi hai

https://youtu.be/ImnYPjOd1Tw

The song ended but they remained like that, his hands locked behind her waist, hers wrapped around his neck. 

"Raman..."

"Hmm?"

"Ab waapis chale table par?"

"Kyun?"

"Dessert baaki hai na?"

"I want a different kind of dessert."

He leaned in to kiss her but she stopped him with a finger on his lips.

"Not in public."

Raman quirked an eyebrow, as he leaned back and she pulled back her finger. "I figured. But not to worry... I have a suite booked for us upstairs."

He winked at her and she blushed.

"Chale?"

"Chaliye."

Raman paid the bill at light speed and whisked his wife away for a night they would never forget.

Akash Ganga Society – midnight

Ishita yawned and Raman groaned as they trudged up the stairs to their apartment. Even though they had fallen asleep at the hotel for a couple hours, they were eager to fall asleep in their own bed. 

Raman keyed their front door open and they tiptoed into their bedroom. A pile of mail on the side table beckoned their attention, but Ishita was too exhausted to go through it right now. She faced the mirror and brushed her tousled hair, removing any remnants of flower petals. Just then, her gaze fell on the top envelope of the pile of mail... and her movements stilled. She picked up the letter and opened it, feeling a sense of déjà vu. 

"Mr. Raman Bhalla and Mrs. Ishita Bhalla are hereby summoned to Delhi Civit Court on Tuesday, July 24th at 2 pm for the permanent custody retrial of Aditya Bhalla..."

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice and interesting update please update next part soon 

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

As far as your comment about Raman realizing how much Ishita had to swallow Shagun's presence, I agree with that. And I've thought about it and included a conversation about it too. 

In which part did you write a conversation? Please let me know, I would love to read it❤️

So much of Adi's stuff in the previous parts. I normally skip anything but IshRa's but now I'm reading every bit. Since you promised pregnancy, I'm reading the whole part line by line😆

, I don't wana miss any tiny hint 😛

All the previous parts are brilliantly written, not missing the 11p.m. essence. Especially IshRa's love life after them consummating their marriage, in 11p.m. essence is a treat to read🤩. 

Are u planning to make Shagun live at Bhallas when she is thrown out by Ashok? In yhm, this track was all sorts of nonsense, except one scene, where Raman finally makes it loud and clear to Adi that Ishita is his responsibility, and he can't let her go for his sakesmiley32. U wrote a similar scenesmiley9, that he is not leaving Ishita even if it's for Adi's sake☺. 

Thank you for the fast updates. Loved reading them all❤️

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: --QUEEN--

In which part did you write a conversation? Please let me know, I would love to read it❤️

I haven't published that part yet. What I meant was that I have it planned in my story outline. It will come a couple chapters later.

So much of Adi's stuff in the previous parts. I normally skip anything but IshRa's but now I'm reading every bit. Since you promised pregnancy, I'm reading the whole part line by line😆

, I don't wana miss any tiny hint 😛

All the previous parts are brilliantly written, not missing the 11p.m. essence. Especially IshRa's love life after them consummating their marriage, in 11p.m. essence is a treat to read🤩. 

Thank you so much!!

Are u planning to make Shagun live at Bhallas when she is thrown out by Ashok? In yhm, this track was all sorts of nonsense, except one scene, where Raman finally makes it loud and clear to Adi that Ishita is his responsibility, and he can't let her go for his sakesmiley32. U wrote a similar scenesmiley9, that he is not leaving Ishita even if it's for Adi's sake☺. 

Thank you for the fast updates. Loved reading them all❤️

No, I'm not planning on bringing Shagun to the Bhalla House. Her and Ashok's arcs are coming to an end soon. They will face the consequences of everything bad they've done.

Thanks again for reading!!

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aditi_X

I haven't published that part yet. What I meant was that I have it planned in my story outline. It will come a couple chapters later.

Waiting

Thank you so much!!

No, I'm not planning on bringing Shagun to the Bhalla House. Her and Ashok's arcs are coming to an end soon. They will face the consequences of everything bad they've done.

Thank you so much for not bringing Shagun to Bhalla house👏. She has a brother and she should probably go there if Ashok threw her out, I never liked the way she settled in Bhalla house, and the way she still calls Toshi, 'mummyji'. Someone should have reprimanded her, but alas never happened in yhm. 

Thanks again for reading!!

I ma happy that you are a BALH fan too🤩. Smart people pick smart content 😎. Really looking forward for the future updates❤️

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 57

Delhi Civil Court – one week later, Tuesday, July 24, 1:50 pm

Raman took a deep breath at the doors of the courthouse, nervously fisting his sweaty palms by his side. This exact court had failed him six years ago, when his son had been handed over to the most vicious woman he knew. But justice and truth were supposed to prevail here. After all, this exact court had also granted him his daughter a year ago, protected her from the clutches of the same ex-wife. He was here again now, for the custody retrial of his son, hoping to right the wrongs that had been committed years ago. 

When they had received the notice of the retrial, Raman had assured his family that history would not repeat itself. He wouldn't let it. He couldn't let it. They had covered all their bases. Pathak had prepared thoroughly for this case, burning the midnight oil, and he knew it inside out, like the back of his hand. They had a string of witnesses lined up to prove their ability as parents, to showcase Adi's progress after living with the Bhallas. But even so, he was still scared out of his mind. After all, this was exactly where he had lost everything six years ago. 

All of a sudden, he felt warmth rush through his hand, as foreign fingers wrapped around his own, infusing him with strength. He looked over and found his wife gazing at him, eyes pouring with reassurance and a hint of anxiety. 

"Dar lag raha hai?" she asked. 

Raman nodded. 

Ishita exhaled a shaky breath. "Mujhe bhi."

This place had once forced Ishita to let go of her daughter. She was reminded of the painful weeks she had spent last year without her Ruhi, when she had moved out from the Iyer house to the Bhalla house. The weeks she had spent with a hole in her heart, buried in work to somehow fill the empty abyss in her life. 

Raman's fingers tightened around her hand. "We'll get through this. Our son isn't going anywhere." 

Ishita smiled. This court had also given her Ruhi back, on top of bringing her together with her soulmate. Maybe there was hope that all could go well after all.

"Pathak and the family must be waiting for us inside," she reminded him.

"Everyone's here already?" he asked.

"You know mummyji na. She herded everyone here before we even left our offices."

"And Adi?"

"He's at home with Amma, Appa, and Ruhi."

"That's good. I don't want him seeing all this. At least, not again."

They took a deep breath and walked through the giant double doors of the courthouse. Their sense of déjà vu amplified. 

They sat down on the first row of the left side, exchanging reassuring glances with their family. Simi, Rinki, and Romi sat in the fourth row, wearing tenuous smiles. Romi, Mihir, Mihika, and Bala were seated in the third row, sticking their thumbs up and nodding their heads in reassurance. 

"Raman... Ishita..." Toshi and Omprakash called their attention from the second row. Toshi opened a tiny box and placed a handful of cashews and almonds in their palms. 

"Yeh le puttar. Matarani ka prasad hai. Aaj subah subah tere papa aur main mandir mein maatha tekne gaye the. Tu dekhna puttar, yeh case hum log hi jeetenge. Mainu matarani pe pura bharosa hai."

Raman sent his mother a weak smile and Ishita nodded at her in-laws as they chewed on the prasad before turning forward to face Pathak. They went over their case – again – in low voices, without sparing a glance to the other side of the courtroom. 

Shagun sighed under her breath and her nostrils flared in irritation. She flicked her curls over her shoulder and straightened her spine. She too, was overcome with a sense of déjà vu, similar to her opponents. But even so, certain stark differences between both days were crystal clear. 

She closed her eyes and recalled Adi's last custody case six years ago. Her miserable ex-husband with an average court-appointed lawyer on one side, compared to herself, her wealthy boyfriend and their expensive lawyer on the other side. How triumphant she had felt even before she won the case, confident in her boyfriend's support and their lawyer's schemes.

She opened her eyes and blinked away an uncharacteristic sheen of poignancy. She turned her head and the sight once again sent rage rushing through her veins. Raman and Ishita sat with their lawyer speaking in hushed tones, his hand on her bouncing knee quelling her anxiety, her hand placed on his shoulder infusing him with comfort and reassurance. 

Shagun gulped and gazed over at her own bench. It was empty. 

Her gaze fell on the other side again. Every row behind her opponents was full. Family members from both sides of Raman and Ishita's family had shown up to support them. Their goodwill shone through their faces, and her heart pinched at the genuineness she saw in their relationships. A genuineness she had never had in any of her own relationships.

She looked over her shoulder at the rows behind her. They were empty. 

How the tables had turned! They had started off in this courtroom six years ago, with Raman fighting all alone against her and Ashok's combined shrewdness and power, their resources unlimited. Now, they stood before each other again, for the exact same case, but with her fighting all alone against Raman and his wife and his family and his hotshot lawyer and all their money and resources.

The court officer struck the gavel and a clang resonated throughout the room as an elderly judge appeared. She swished her black cape aside and sat on the judge's chair, her back straight and chin held up in authority. Her silver gray hair was tied back in a low bun and her lips pressed together as she peered over the courtroom observantly. Her skin was wrinkled around the corner of her eyes and lips, a few age spots appearing on her otherwise unblemished face. 

"May the proceedings of minor Aditya Bhalla's custody retrial begin," the court officer announced. "The contenders are biological father Raman Bhalla and stepmother Ishita Bhalla against biological mother Shagun Arora. Honorable judge Uma Banerjee presiding."

With the strike of the judge's gavel, the case began. 

Pathak stood up from his chair and buttoned his coat as he stepped forward for his opening statement. 

"Your honor," he began, "six years ago, a family was ripped apart when Ms. Shagun Arora decided to walk out of her marriage with Mr. Raman Bhalla for another man, taking their five-year old son in tow. Six years ago, Aditya Bhalla's custody was granted to his mother, but that decision needs to be changed now. Over the course of this trial, we will prove to you that Aditya cannot be kept in Shagun's care anymore. He deserves to be in the care of Mr. Raman Bhalla and his wife Dr. Ishita Bhalla."

He stepped back and gave the floor to the opposition. 

Shagun's lawyer – Jeet Mishra – stepped forward and smoothed his coat. Narrow eyes, high cheekbones, and an air of cutthroat ruthlessness defined him. He was one of the most notorious lawyers in the country.

"Your honor, Mr. Pathak here is trying to overturn a ruling that was decided by this court six years ago, a ruling that was determined by the finest courts and wisest judges of this city. Aditya's custody was granted to his mother six years ago for a reason, and a damn good one. The opposition will try and convince you that my client is a monster or a witch. But the truth is, she's just a single mother who's trying her best. Every day is a struggle, but there should be no doubt that she loves her son beyond any doubt."

Once both lawyers had presented their opening statements, Judge Banerjee asked Pathak to present the Bhalla's side of the case first. 

Naturally, Pathak's first witness was Raman. He asked Raman to narrate his side of the story from six years back, how Shagun and Adi came into his life, and how painfully they left. Raman drew in a sharp breath and recounted the most dreadful years of his life. 

"I begged Shagun not to leave, to think about Adi at least... but she didn't listen to me," Raman said from the witness stand, as he wrapped up his narration. "We got divorced shortly after and she moved into Ashok Khanna's mansion. My ex-boss."

"What happened to Aditya after that?" Pathak asked. 

Raman gulped. "His custody trial happened which Shagun won at the time."

"Do you know why Shagun won Aditya's custody?"

"Yes."

"How do you know that?"

"The judge announced a few reasons behind her decision when she declared her verdict."

"And what reasons did she give?"

"Three main things I suppose. Shagun had claimed that I was a toxic husband and my family was emotionally torturing her, and Adi deserved to stay with her instead. Her boyfriend Mr. Khanna was much wealthier than me at the time and they claimed they could take care of Adi better. And... and Adi himself chose to be with his mother."

Pathak stepped back from Raman in the witness box and faced the judge. 

"The records and transcript from Aditya Bhalla's last custody case are on your desk, your honor. However, every claim made by Ms. Arora and every reason behind the first custody decision was false, and I can prove it."

He walked back to his desk and picked up three manila folders. 

"In this folder, I have signed and sworn witness statements from over fifty people who can attest to Shagun and Raman's marriage and how Raman treated Shagun as a husband." Pathak handed the first file to the court officer who passed it to the judge. "These include the society members that lived in Akash Ganga six years ago, Raman's old colleagues, and Shagun's friends. They have all stated how much more effort Raman had put into his marriage compared to Shagun. How it was Shagun, not Raman, who was emotionally toxic. In the same folder, you'll find a thread of emails, text messages, and photographs from Raman and Shagun's married life as corroboration to the witness statements."

He then handed the court officer another folder. "Here is a verified copy of the Bhalla family's finances. Their current combined income per month is more than enough to comfortably raise a family in Delhi." Judge Banerjee opened the file and surveyed the income of every earning member of the family. "In that same file, you'll find a separate copy of Mr. Bhalla and Dr. Ishita's joint finances, showcasing their individual financial capability."

Once the judge placed aside that folder, Pathak handed the court officer the last file in his hand. "And this file has signed and sworn reference letters from Mr. and Dr. Bhalla's colleagues, mentors and supervisors who can all attest to their character and the stability of their income."

Banerjee skimmed through each letter without letting on how impressed she was. 

"As far as the final point of Aditya choosing to stay with his mother in the last custody case," Pathak said, "that will only become evident when you speak to the child yourself, your honor."

He approached Raman again. "I just have a couple more questions, Mr. Bhalla. What is Aditya's favorite pastime?"

Raman scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. This was an unusual line of questioning. But he answered regardless. Neil was one of the top lawyers in the city. He must have a method to his madness. "Adi loves football and reading," he answered.

"Which one would you say he likes more?"

"Objection your honor!" Mishra said. "This is irrelevant!"

"Your honor, this goes to show how much Mr. Bhalla knows his son," Pathak clarified.

"I'll allow it counselor, but don't take it too far," Banerjee conceded. "Objection overruled."

"Thank you your honor." Pathak turned to Raman again. "So Mr. Bhalla, what does Adi enjoy more? Football or reading?"

"I'd have to say reading. He's great at football and he really enjoys it, but books are his way of traveling to all kinds of different fictitious worlds. It's his favorite thing."

"And who is Adi's favorite music artist?"

"Taylor Swift. He won't admit it, but that's all he ever listens to," Raman chuckled.

"Thank you Mr. Bhalla. No more questions for this witness."

Pathak sat down in his chair and his opponent Mishra stepped forward for the cross-examination. 

"Mr. Bhalla." Mishra stepped to the witness box and glared at Raman in an effort to intimidate him. 

"Yes Mr. Mishra?" Raman met his gaze head on, refusing to back down. 

"You lost Aditya's custody six years ago. So why are we here today? Why after so many years? Where were you all this time?" Mishra asked. 

"After I lost Adi's custody, I moved to Mumbai. I was there building my business for five years before I moved back to Delhi last year."

"And in those five years, did you ever attempt to have a relationship with your son? Or even contact him?"

Raman exhaled a shaky breath. "I tried to-"

"Yes or no, Mr. Bhalla?"

"It's not that simple-"

"Your honor, the witness is being non-responsive," Mishra complained.

"Mr. Bhalla," Judge Banerjee interjected, "please answer the question. And limit your testimony to the question asked."

Mishra repeated his question. "Did you ever make contact with your son in the five years after you lost custody? Yes, or no?"

"No," Raman sighed. 

"Why not?"

"Because Shagun had sent him to a boarding school in Dehradun away from me and my family."

"Of course she did." Mishra paced back and forth in the open area. "I mean I'd do the same if I had emotionally abusive in-laws."

Raman sucked in a sharp breath. He saw Shagun smirk out of the corner of his eye and he ground his teeth, barely keeping his rage in check.

"Objection!" Pathak roared as he shot up from his chair. "Argumentative!"

"Sustained," Banerjee declared. "Counsel, watch yourself. You can only present evidence. Don't reach conclusions."

"Apologies your honor." Mishra faced Raman again. "So you were absent from your son's life for five years. What about your daughter?"

Raman's face paled. "Excuse me?"

"How did you first meet your daughter Mr. Bhalla?"

"Objection! Relevance?" Pathak asked.

"Goes to show Mr. Bhalla's presence as a parent," Mishra answered.

"Overruled," Banerjee announced. 

"So Mr. Bhalla. Please tell the court how you met your daughter," Mishra restated.

"I met her last year at my wife's place for the first time. We weren't married back then. Ishita had adopted Ruhi – my daughter – from Little Smiles Adoption Agency. I had just found out about her so I reached out to Ishita and fixed a meeting so I could be a part of Ruhi's life."

"You said your daughter was at an adoption agency before you met her. Do you know how long she had lived there before Dr. Bhalla adopted her?"

"Um... almost four years." Acid seared Raman's throat. 

Mishra walked to the middle of the courtroom and spread his arms wide as he spoke. "Your honor, this goes to show that Mr. Bhalla has been repeatedly absent from his children's lives for years on end. I don't need to elaborate any further to highlight his capabilities as a parent. No further questions."

Raman watched Mishra sit down in his seat and his heart raced. This man had just presented the worst years of his life as if they were all his doing. 

"Redirect, your honor?" Pathak asked, as he stood up and tied his coat button. No way was he going to let his brother take the blame for Shagun's misdeeds. 

Banerjee nodded.

Pathak approached the witness stand. "Mr. Bhalla. It's been established that you were absent from Aditya's life for five years after Ms. Arora won his custody. Can you tell the court how you came in contact with him again?"

"In January, I found out that he had moved back to Delhi and was in my brother-in-law's tuition classes. I met him there and slowly reintroduced him to my family."

"Before that, did you ever try to get in touch with Aditya?"

"Yes."

"Please describe the efforts you had made to get in touch with your son."

Raman narrated every method he had utilized to meet his son. And every roadblock Shagun had ever put up. 

"So," Pathak spoke up when Raman was done speaking, "despite Ms. Arora's adamant refusal to give you any visitation rights for your son, you fought tooth and nail to get back in his life."

"Yes."

Pathak walked back to his table and presented another file to the court officer and judge. "This file contains documented proof of everything Mr. Bhalla has told this court, including a copy of the money transfer from October, and a copy of the signed agreement between Raman Bhalla and Ashok Khanna from February."

As the judge perused the documents corroborating Raman's story, Pathak continued his redirect examination. 

"Mr. Bhalla, now can you please explain why you were absent from your daughter's life for so long?"

"Because I didn't even know about her." Raman explained how Shagun had left baby Ruhi at the orphanage under Ashok's influence. How he hadn't found out about her until he had overheard and confronted Ashok and Shagun at a party in Mumbai over a year ago.

Mishra's eyebrows rose up to his forehead as he glared at Shagun over his shoulder. Why didn't this woman tell me any of this? He shook his head and faced forward again. He had gotten the worst of the worst proven not guilty as a criminal lawyer; he had won cases for even the most despicable people as a civil lawyer. His infamous methods always worked, but only if his clients were honest with him.

"What did you do when you found out you had a daughter in Delhi?" Pathak asked Raman.

"I took the first flight here and found the orphanage where she was staying. From there I got in touch with Ishita and we began co-parenting Ruhi together."

"What about your business in Mumbai?"

"We had it all relocated here. We still have a smaller office in Mumbai but our headquarters are now here in Delhi. We even moved from our older flat to a bigger flat in Akash Ganga society so we could be near Ishita's family. That way Ruhi didn't have to go back and forth between two houses."

"Thank you Mr. Bhalla. No further questions."

Raman stepped off the witness stand and rubbed his sweaty palms together as he returned to his seat. Pathak faced the judge and continued with the case.

"So on one hand, we have a parent who relocated his entire life and his whole family as soon as he found his daughter. And on the other hand, we have a parent who left her son in a hostel and her baby girl in an orphanage for god knows what reason. I think that should make it evident what kind of parents they are.

"For my next witness, I'd like to call on Aditya's stepmother Dr. Ishita Bhalla."

Ishita sucked in a ragged breath and stepped forward. During her last time in a witness stand, she had been forced to tear her heart out and give it away. Her mind knew that wouldn't happen this time, but her skin still crawled. 

"Dr. Bhalla, can you describe your relationship with your stepson Aditya?" Pathak asked, once she was done swearing her oath.

"He's not my stepson. He's my son. I love him with all my heart. And I know he loves me too."

"Has it always been that way?"

"No... not always. We had a rocky start when we met six months ago. But that was expected. Any kid needs time to adjust to a stepparent. It's in the nature of children-"

"Objection!" Mishra shot up. "Lack of foundation. The witness isn't an expert in child psychology."

"Sustained," Banerjee declared. "Dr. Bhalla, please limit your testimony to your relationship with your stepson. Do not generalize to all children."

Ishita nodded. "All I'm saying is, Aditya and I had a bumpy start, but we've bonded very well over time."

"Has he ever expressed concerns that you're his stepmother, not his real mother?"

"Yes, they did arise." She recounted the questions Adi had posed once, and how Ishita had used Yashoda Ma and Lord Krishna's story to alleviate those questions.

"Thank you Dr. Bhalla. Just a couple more questions. What is Aditya's favorite food?"

Ishita was taken aback from the sharp turn in Pathak's line of questioning. Nevetheless, she answered truthfully. "He's pretty good about eating everything we make. But his favorite is Italian food. Specifically, pizza and pasta. Besides that, he loves all kinds of Indian food too. Punjabi and South Indian both."

"Mr. Bhalla told us that Aditya loves reading. Can you tell us what his favorite book is?"

"The Harry Potter series. Sometimes that's all he talks about." 

"Thank you Dr. Bhalla. No further questions."

Pathak sat down in his chair and Mishra stepped forward for the cross-examination. 

"Dr. Bhalla, how long have you been a mother?" he asked. 

"I've been Ruhi's mother for almost one and a half year. And I've known Adi for six months," she answered. 

"And you think it's in Aditya's best interest to rip him away from the mother he's known for ten years and hand him over to a woman he's known for less than half a year?"

Ishita's mouth went dry.

"Objection!" Pathak yelled. "Calls for speculation. And counsel is leading the witness."

"Sustained," Banerjee said. "Mr. Mishra, the court will decide where Aditya will go. Not the witness."

"Withdrawn. No more questions." 

Mishra stepped back to his seat, and the judge dismissed Ishita. Pathak stepped forward to continue his case.

"Your honor, my colleague here has claimed that Adi can't be separated from his primary caregiver, the mother he's known for ten years. To counter that statement, I'd like to call on my final witness, an expert in child psychology and Aditya's therapist, Dr. Zoya Rashid."

Shagun's face went slack in shock. Her son... had a... therapist...? He... he was in therapy? And she didn't know?!

"What the hell?!" she shrieked, shooting up from her bench. "My son is in therapy?! He's seeing a psychiatrist?!"

"Ms. Arora, please be quiet and sit down," the judge warned.

But Shagun had lost all sense of rhyme and reason. She towered over Raman and Ishita, eyes raining fire.

"Tum dono ne mere bete ko ek psychiatrist ke paas bheja?!" she screamed. "What the hell do you think of him?! Who paagal thodi hai?!"

"I'm warning you Ms. Arora!" Banerjee struck her gavel. "Please sit down!"

Mishra caught Shagun by the arm and forced her to sit down, even as she continued her tirade against Raman and Ishita. He was growing frustrated with his client. There was only so much he could do for her if she didn't cooperate. 

On the other hand, Pathak smiled smugly. His job was becoming easier by the minute. If Shagun kept it on like this, she'd tell the court herself how undeserving she was of Adi's custody. 

Judge Banerjee struck her gavel again and the room finally quieted down. "Shagun Arora," she seethed. "You will maintain the decorum of my courtroom or I'll have you held in contempt. Mr. Pathak, please proceed."

Dr. Zoya Rashid was sworn in and Pathak began his line of questioning. 

"Dr. Rashid, do you know Aditya Bhalla?"

"Yes. He's been my patient for three months."

"Without breaking confidentiality, what can you tell us about his mental health and progress in the last three months?"

Dr. Rashid cleared her throat. "Aditya's father brought him to me three months back so he could get some help to navigate his new family situation. He needed help balancing his relationships and gaining some confidence. Over the last three months, he's grown beyond leaps and bounds. He's become a better and happier version of himself under the Bhallas' care."

"That's great to hear. Has he ever expressed a desire to stay with the Bhallas over his mother?" 

"I can't answer that without breaking confidentiality."

"My apologies. Let me rephrase that. Based on your testimony and the rest of your interactions with Aditya, would it be reasonable to assume that his wellness lies in staying with the Bhallas, namely Raman and Ishita?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"Does that mean he shouldn't be staying with Shagun?"

"No, he shouldn't. His mental health has deteriorated in her company. He wouldn't fare well there."

"And why wouldn't he fare well with Shagun?"

"Because Shagun has emotionally and mentally abused Aditya all his life. And unfortunately, she's even raised her hand on him." Dr. Rashid detailed the events from last month that had led to her filing an official report of said abuse.

Pathak stepped to his desk and walked forward with a sheet of paper which he handed to the court officer. The judge took the piece of paper and surveyed it. 

"Your honor, this is a copy of Dr. Rashid's official report that she had submitted to the Office of Children Welfare. It corroborates her story," he explained. "No more questions for this witness."

Mishra stood up to cross Dr. Rashid. 

"Dr. Rashid, you said you've been treating Aditya for three months. But from my client's earlier outburst, it's clear that she didn't know about this. So how were you treating her son without her consent? Considering that she was the sole legal guardian for Aditya?" He gripped the witness stand with both arms, elbows locked, and leaned forward, glaring at her to intimidate her.

In turn, she narrowed her eyes and took a step forward, meeting his gaze head on. "Counselor, Aditya's biological father consented to his treatment. Aditya himself consented to his treatment. That's all we need to accept him as a patient. Other than that, everything else about his treatment was kept confidential. For his own best interest."

"Fair enough." Mishra straightened his back and momentarily stepped away. "Dr. Rashid, you gave an elaborate account to the court about Shagun's 'abuse.'" He said the last word with air quotes. "In this whole tale, you got Aditya's perspective. Even Raman and Ishita's persepctive. But have you ever considered Shagun's persepctive? Have you given her the benefit of the doubt?"

"I'm not obligated to do anything for her. My duty lies towards my patient, Aditya."

"But isn't it possible that she had a different take on the incident that you don't know of?"

"Sure, it's possible."

"Another question for you, Dr. Rashid. You recommended that Aditya be removed from Shagun's care. Is this how you usually address family issues for your patients?"

"Objection! Irrelevant!" Pathak called out.

"Goes to show the doctor's bias, your honor," Mishra explained.

"Objection overruled."

"So doctor," Mishra turned to the witness again. "If you come across a strained relationship in your patients, let's say through couples counseling or family therapy, then what is your goal?"

"My goal is to help both parties understand each other and reach a common ground. To help them find their happiness with each other again. Usually that's successful, but sometimes, it's better for them to part ways."

"So your first effort is to mend a relationship, correct?"

"Usually, yes."

"Then why did you immediately recommend terminating Shagun's custody rather than helping Aditya mend his relationship with her? Isn't this unfair for my client?"

"Not at all. In fact, helping him mend his relationships was my intial goal. I wanted to help Aditya find a balance between his relationships with his mother, father, and stepmother. I wanted him to come out from under his mother's control and think for himself. But that changed the second Shagun slapped him. Up until then, her abuse had been emotional and mental. That was the first time it turned physical. She was escalating and I had to do something. I do not tolerate abuse, and that's what I strive to teach my patients too."

"Really doc?" Mishra scoffed. "It was one slap. That can't count as abuse. Doesn't a parent have the right to discipline their kid when necessary?"

"There are healthier ways to discipline a child, counselor. Slapping or hitting or spanking is not necessary. And as far as Shagun's slap is concerned, it had nothing to do with disciplining her kid."

"Oh really, then what was it about?" Mishra crossed his arms over his chest in a mocking gesture.

"I can't answer that."

"You're in the witness box, doctor. You have to answer."

"I'm also a health care provider, counselor." Zoya crossed her own arms over her chest, mirroring the lawyer's pride. "I'm not going to break my patient's trust by repeating what he told me in confidence. If Adi chooses to reveal what we talked about in our therapy sessions, then that's his choice. But I'm not saying a word until I get served with a subpoena or a court order to do otherwise."

"Okay then. Let me ask you a different question. You keep saying you only have your patient's best interest in mind. Do you believe Aditya's best interest lies in being cut off from the one parent he's ever known? The one parent who's been his constant all his life?"

"I think it's in his best interest to be cut off from the one parent who has mentally and emotionally abused him all his life. Whether or not Aditya chooses to have a relationship with Shagun is his decision. But he definitely should not be kept in her care."

Mishra gritted his teeth. This cross-examination was not going well. "No more questions for this witness." 

He stomped back to his chair and Dr. Rashid left the witness box, a small smile on her lips and her head held high. It was going to take much more than one arrogant man to rattle her composure.

Pathak pushed his chair back and stood up. "I've presented all my evidence, your honor. I rest my case."

Banerjee noted something down with her pen before addressing the courtroom. "We'll take a fifteen-minute break after which Mr. Mishra will present Shagun Arora's case." 

And just like that, with a strike of her gavel, the court was excused.

Meanwhile @ Iyer House

"Ugghhh... Tata, Paati! The TV isn't working!" Ruhi yelled. "Bhaiya, dekho na!"

She flicked through the channels but was greeted by a grainy black and white screen after every click of the remote. 

"Here, let me try Ru." Adi plopped down on the sofa beside his sister and took the remote from her hand. He slapped the remote against his palm, shaking it vigorously, before he tried again. But to no avail. 

"Vishwa! Aiyyo Vishwa!" Madhu called out from the kitchen table in the middle of breaking off cilantro and mint leaves from their stems. "Come fast na! Baccho ko help kar do!"

"Coming!"

Vishwa hustled out of the bedroom and appearing in the living room. "Kya hua beta?"

"Tata look, the TV isn't working." Adi pointed to the TV. 

"Oh no, not again..." Vishwa sighed. "This has been happening for a while beta. Humaare ghar ke channel ka connection thoda weak hai. Maine cable company mein call kiya tha. Kuch din mein woh kisi ko bhejne wale hain."

"Kuch din mein!" Ruhi exclaimed. "Toh hum log abhi kya karenge?!"

"Hum log kuch aur games khel sakte hain na," Vishwa suggested. 

"No Tata!" Adi groaned. "Hum subah se games hi khel rahe hain. Aur ab bahar bhi bahot sunny hai. I really wanted to just watch some movie or something."

"Accha...?"

Vishwa chewed his lip as he contemplated the dilemma. Adi and Ruhi were true Bhallas, stubborn to the core. If they insisted on watching a movie, it would be hard to convince them otherwise. He and his wife loved their grandchildren to bits, but they weren't capable of handling their tantrums. They just weren't young and energetic enough anymore.

"Ek idea hai!" He snapped his fingers as a light bulb switched on in his head. 

He squatted against the TV console and picked up a stack of DVDs, bringing them over to the couch by Adi and Ruhi.

"Cable jab tak waapis aayein, tab tak tum dono in DVDs mein se koi movie dekh lo," he suggested. 

He fanned out the DVDs on the coffee table, as Ruhi and Adi peered at them curiously. They included religious sermons, Tollywood and Bollywood movies, animated films, and home videos. 

"What's this?" Adi picked up a DVD with Tamil scrawl on it. 

"Oh, that says Thillu Mullu. It's a great movie. Humara favorite Rajinikanth hai usme. Woh old Hindi movie hai na... Gol maal? Uska remake hai. Tum ko dekhna hai Adi? Usmein English subtitles bhi hai."

"Adi beta, bahot accha movie hai!" Madhu interjected from the kitchen table, picking up another sprig of cilantro. "Tumko dekhna chahiye." 

But before Adi could make a decision, Ruhi's eyes lighted up as her eyes fell on a particular DVD. 

"Wait wait! Look!" She picked up the DVD and showed it to her brother and grandfather. "Can we watch this? Pleeeeease?"

Normally Adi would put up a fight against his sister, but the title of the video truly intrigued him.

"Yes! Let's watch this!" he agreed.

Vishwa smiled and put on the chosen DVD. The grainy images changed to clear colorful video as he settled down against the sofa with his grandchildren. Vishwa, Adi, and Ruhi gazed at the TV from the sofa, while Madhu watched from the kitchen table, fingers twiddling with mint leaves and cilantro sprigs. Words appeared on the screen and Madhu smiled as she realized what they were watching.

Raman

(son of Mr. Omprakash Bhalla & Mrs. Santoshi Bhalla)

WEDS

Ishita

(daughter of Mr. Vishwanathan Iyer & Mrs. Madhavi Iyer)

"Adi bhaiya, Ishimaa aur papa ki shaadi mein itnaaaaaa mazaa aaya tha humein!" Ruhi exclaimed with her arms spread out, as if measuring the amount of fun she had had. 

Raman and Ishita's wedding video played on the screen, and four pairs of eyes watched intently. It began with their sangeet performances. 

"Look bhaiya! Maine aur Ishimaa ne sab girls ke saath dance kiya tha!" Ruhi pointed out as their performance came on. 

When Raman and Ishita's first couple dance played out, Adi laughed out loud. "They look so awkward here," he commented. "Mihir mama ki shaadi mein to kitna accha dance kiya tha."

"Yeh unka first time tha na aise dance karte huye, isiliye," Vishwa explained.

The sangeet ended and the events of the wedding day began. 

"Wow!" Adi exclaimed. "Ishita Aunty kitni pretty lag rahi hai!"

"Aur main?" Ruhi's hands landed on her hips.

"Haan baba, tum bhi bahot pretty lag rahi ho video mein." Adi rolled his eyes in exasperation.

The priest chanted the sacred mantras, guiding the bride and groom through various rituals. Every now and then, Raman yawned and blinked his eyes on the screen, eliciting hearty laughs from the viewers. 

"Adi bhaiya, aap ko pata hai, papa itna yawn kar rahe the pure wedding mein," Ruhi giggled. 

"Sirf papa nahi. Look." Adi pointed to the screen. "Dadi, chachu, aur bua bhi yawn kar rahe hai.... Paati," –he twisted in his seat to look at Madhu– "yeh Tamilian weddings itni early morning mein kyun hoti hai? Mama aur chitti ki shaadi bhi kitni early morning mein hui thi."

Madhu dusted her hands and set the steel plates of mint and cilantro leaves in the kitchen before joining everyone in the living room.

"Kanna, humare weddings isiliye early morning mein hoti hai, kyunki woh time bahot shubh hota hai, jab suraj ugta hai. The rising sun brings prosperity, hope, and new beginnings. So getting married as the sun rises is very auspicious," she explained. 

She glanced at the TV, where Raman and Ishita took sacred pheras. 

"Adi bhaiya, I was soooo excited when mumma and papa got married," Ruhi exclaimed. "I think it was the best day of my life!"

"Aisa kyun?" Adi scrunched his eyebrows.

"Kyunki mumma humesha ke liye mere aur papa ke saath rehne aa rahi thi na! Pata hai, first I had mumma with me, but no papa. Then I had papa, but no mumma. Lekin unki shaadi ke baad, I had both of them!"

The gears turned in Adi's brain. Something wasn't right. Something didn't click. 

"Ek minute... What do you mean?"

"Main pehle mumma ke saath rehti thi. Main aur mumma yahin rehte the. Tata, Paati, aur Chitti ke saath. Phir muhe papa mile... Toh main unke saath rehne gayi. Lekin mujhe mumma aur papa dono chahiye the. Isiliye mumma aur papa ne shaadi kar li!"

It didn't make sense though, Adi thought. His mom had told him that Ishita Aunty stole Ruhi and Raman from her. He had made peace with the fact that maybe that was his mom's misunderstanding. But what Ruhi was saying was at complete odds with what Shagun had claimed. If Ruhi met Ishita first and Raman later, then how could Ishita have stolen her? And where did Shagun come in all of this?

"Ruhi, lekin tum Ishita Aunty ke paas pohchi kaise? I thought ki tum mom ke saath-"

"Accha suno suno!" Madhu loudly clapped her hands together and stopped Adi's questions. "Main sab ke liye dosa bana rahi hoon. Aap logon ko khaana hai? Adi? Ruhi? Ekdum crispy wala... aur woh bhi cheese daal kar."

"Yes!" Ruhi exclaimed. Adi nodded as well. 

As the wedding video played on the TV, Madhu ushered everyone to the kitchen table. Vishwa set out plates for everyone, as she removed the canister of dosa batter from the fridge. She spread out the batter on the hot sizzling pan and served crisp dosas to her grandchildren. 

Amidst their happy crunching, Madhu breathed a sigh of relief, her gut churning in residual anxiety at how close Adi was to asking certain irredeemable questions. If he had found out the truth, there was no way she could've handled him. 

And Ruhi... She couldn't bear seeing the little girl remember her time in the orphanage. Thanks to her young age, most of her memories from that time hadn't solidified, and those that had, were close to fading away. If she didn't think about that time, it was quite possible that in the long run, she'd forget those years of her life.

Madhu continued pouring batter onto the pan, making dosas, as the children munched away. Even so, questions had risen in Adi's mind, and they wouldn't be quelled without real answers.

Delhi Civil Court – 4 pm 

"Order order!" Judge Banerjee struck her gavel twice as everyone settled down. "I hope everyone has had a nice break, but it's time we proceed with the trial. Counselor Mishra, please present your case now."

Mishra rolled his shoulders and stood up from his desk. The first witness he called was Shagun. 

"Ms. Arora," he drawled, leaning lazily on the bar of the witness stand, once Shagun had been sworn in. "What can you tell the court about your relationship with Aditya?"

"He's my everything." Shagun straightened her saree and faced the judge from the witness stand. "We've been the most important person for each other ever since he was born. I love him more than anything."

"So you've been his primary caregiver?" Mishra stepped back and paced back and forth. 

"Yes."

"Have you provided him with all necessities? Taken care of what he needs?"

"Of course I have!" She tipped her nose upwards and her eyes darkened with empty pride. "In fact I've given him more luxuries and comfort than he could've ever imagined! More riches than I ever got as a kid!" 

"That's great to hear. Adi is lucky to have you as a mom," Mishra smiled. He walked back to his desk and handed a file to the court officer for the judge. "Your honor, this file contains copies of Shagun Arora's purchases and the money she has spent on Aditya's schooling and his lifestyle." 

The judge skimmed through the file as Mishra addressed Shagun again.

"Ms. Arora, we've heard today that you've mentally, emotionally, and physically abused your kid. What can you say about that?"

Shagun sighed and turned to the judge. "Your honor, I love my son. I would never do anything to hurt him on purpose. But I'm... I'm a single mom your honor. And I try my best. But not every day is a good day. Sometimes I might say or do something my Adi doesn't like but I never mean to hurt him. I love him. And I need my son." Angry tears pooled in her eyes. He's all I have left.

"Thank you Ms. Arora. I have one final question for you." Mishra needed to clear up one last blemish on Shagun's character. "You left your daughter Ruhi in an orphanage as a baby. Can you tell the court what forced you to make such a difficult, heart wrenching decision?"

"Objection!" Pathak rose from his chair. "Counsel is leading the witness. Plus, this question is irrelevant. This is Aditya's custody trial, not Ruhi's."

"Objection sustained."

"Your honor, Mr. Pathak used Mr. Bhalla's relationship with Ruhi to establish him as a good parent. I'd like to do the same to show that Ms. Arora isn't the big bad wolf he's making her out to be," Mishra entreated. 

"But you opened that door during your cross-examination of my witness," Pathak countered. "I simply built on that in my redirect."

Judge Banerjee leaned back in her chair and pushed her glasses up her nose. "All right. I'll allow Mr. Mishra to use this line of questioning, as long as it speaks to Ms. Arora's ability as a parent. And do not lead the witness counselor. One more leading question, and I'll end her testimony," she warned.

"Yes your honor." Mishra turned to Shagun and Pathak sat down disapppointedly.

"Ms. Arora, please explain to the court why Ruhi ended up in an orphanage."

Shagun gulped and strung up a story regarding her decision to put Ruhi in an adoption agency, embellishing it with the heartbreak of a mother forced by life to let go of her baby. 

How she had given birth to a baby, but was in no shape to care for one. How she didn't have the courage to deal with Raman and his family and so she had found an alternative method to send Ruhi to them. How she had included a letter for the adoption agency but it had gone missing, causing Ruhi to get thrown into the foster system. 

"I tried my best to win her custody again, but Raman and Ishita-"

"That's all, Ms. Arora." Mishra raised his palm and signalled Shagun to stop speaking. She was close to badmouthing her opponents and that wouldn't paint her in a nice color in front of the judge. 

"Your honor, my client isn't an evil witch. She's a single mom trying her best. We can all debate on how she went around dealing with Ruhi, but what can't be debated is her devotion for Aditya." Mishra stepped away from the witness box. "No more questions for this witness."

Pathak walked over to Shagun for the cross-questioning. 

"So Ms. Arora... You told the court that you've given Aditya luxuries and riches and gifts beyond anyone can imagine."

"Yes, I have."

"Can I ask how much time you've given him?"

"What?"

"You heard me Ms. Arora. How much time do you spend with him? And what do you guys do together?"

"We... um we... go shopping sometimes."

"How often did you go to his hostel to check on his grades and his health?"

No answer.

"How many of his football matches have you attended to cheer for him?"

No answer.

Pathak laughed. "All right, let that be. Let's focus on these gifts you've given your son. Can you tell me how you bought them?"

"Excuse me?" She squinted her eyes in derision.

"Well, as far as I know, in order to buy something, we need to give money. So... where did you get that money?"

"From Ashok. I bought eveything with Ashok's money."

"Oh... I see. Does Ashok earn all the money you use? Or do you earn some of your own money?"

Shagun's nostrils flared from a hurt ego. "No, Ashok earns all the money," she said through gritted teeth.

"So what's your job in the household? Is it reasonable for the court to assume you're a homemaker?"

Shagun remained silent and averted her eyes.

"There's nothing wrong with being a homemaker, Ms. Arora," Pathak persisted. "In fact, homemakers have the hardest job of all. They're never not at work. Whether it's in the kitchen, or while cleaning the house, there's always something-"

"We have staff in our mansion to take care of things like that," Shagun cut him off. Her tongue turned sour at the thought of her performing such measly tasks.

"Okay then, let's see if I have this right." Pathak walked back and rubbed his chin as if he were in deep thought. "You don't fulfill any financial responsibilites. You don't contribute to the household in any way. So what exactly makes you an accomplished woman? And how do you plan on taking care of your son?"

"You seem to forget that Ashok earns more than enough money for me and my son."

"Does that mean you have a right to Ashok's money?"

"Of course I do! His money is my money! I'm his fianceé for crying out loud! Look!" She flashed her ring finger in his face, her diamond rock of a ring glinting against the light.

"You see, now that's where I'm confused." Pathak lifted his index finger and tapped it against his chin. "In your testimony, you referred to yourself as a single mother. But now you're saying you're engaged. So what's the truth? I hope you haven't perjured yourself."

He crossed his arms against his chest and lifted his eyebrows at Shagun, waiting for an answer. 

"W-What... What I meant was... I-I mean... I've been raising Adi alone. Ashok isn't involved with Adi much. That's why I called myself a single mother," Shagun stammered.

"So the man that you rely on for your son's expenses isn't involved with raising him... I see... So does that mean you don't have a support system to raise your son? I see that no one has shown up here for you either."

Shagun fumed. She had made this realization long before, but having someone else point it out was beyond humiliating.

"I do have a support system!" she insisted. "Ashok, Suraj, their friends, my friends..."

"I see. And can you rely on them for help? Are they a good influence on your son?"

"Y-Yes..." 

Pathak smirked. Shagun had walked right into his trap. He picked up a stack of papers from his desk and presented it to Shagun. "Ms. Arora, can you please read the highlighted section from this court document?"

Shagun cleared her throat and read aloud. "Arrest report for Ashok Kha-" She lost her voice as she realized what she was reading. 

"Please continue reading," Pathak urged.

"Um... A-Arrest report for... Ashok Kh-Khanna. Defendant has been remanded to Central Jail for seven days by the order of Judge Meeta Bakshi on one count attempt to bribe a public official and one count obstruction of justice," she hesitantly read aloud. 

"Now read the highlighted section on this next report please." Pathak flipped through the stack and presented another document. 

"Official inquiry against Suraj Khanna. Allegations of... illegal m-match fixing and fraud. Under investigation by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs."

"And finally, please read the headline of this newspaper clipping."

Shagun sighed and read aloud. "Khanna Brothers Drowning in the Deep End. Bankruptcy Threatens..." 

Pathak smiled as he handed the entire stack of papers to the court officer, who passed it to the judge. "Your honor, I believe these documents speak for themselves regarding Ms. Arora's support system." 

Banerjee flicked through the stack of papers she had received, as Pathak continued questioning Shagun.

"Ms. Arora, I'd like to switch gears a bit now. It was brought up earlier that you slapped Aditya last month."

Shagun sucked in a sharp breath. 

"Can you explain why you did that?"

"I um... I had to. He was getting out of hand... He had started arguing with me... I had to dis-discipline him."

"What did he do?"

"Um..."

"Why did you need to slap him? What did he do?"

"I heard you the first time!" Shagun shrieked, as she slapped her hands against the bars of the witness stand. 

"Ms. Arora!" Banerjee warned. "I've told you this before and I'm telling you again, please maintain the decorum of my courtroom. If you have one more outburst here, I will have you removed from my court! Please quietly answer the question you've been asked."

Shagun managed to lower her voice from a bellow to a hiss as she answered Pathak's question. "Mera beta mujhse zubaan ladaa raha tha. Use sabak seekhana zaruri tha."

"I see... One last question Ms. Arora. What is Aditya's favorite movie franchise?"

"Um... He used to watch Mickey Mouse a lot."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"I um... I guess... then maybe Disney is his favorite movie franchise."

"Are you sure? Because I've heard he loves Superman."

"Th-That could possible. He likes superheroes too."

"So then is the DC universe his favorite franchise?"

"Maybe?"

"Or is it Marvel? Because I thought he likes Spiderman-"

"Objection your honor!" Mishra shot up from his seat. "Counsel is leading the witness. This line of questioning is confusing my client."

"Objection sustained. Where are you going with this, Mr. Pathak?"

"My apologies your honor." Pathak turned away from Shagun and faced the judge. "I was simply trying to show how much Ms. Arora knows her son. She's been his constant support and caregiver for ten years, yet she couldn't answer one simple question about him. On the other hand, Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla have known him for only six months, but they answered each of my questions without hesitation. They happen to know Aditya's every habit and hobby, every like and dislike."

He stepped back to his desk. "I have no more questions for this witness."

As Shagun walked back to her bench, having been obliterated on the witness stand, Mishra stood up and spoke out. 

"I'd now like to present-"

Before he could present his next piece of evidence, the clock struck five pm signalling the end of court. 

"We'll continue with this case on the next date," Judge Banerjee decided. "Counselor Mishra can finish presenting his case then. We'll reconvene on Thursday July 26th at 10 am for the next hearing. I'm going to request minor Aditya's presence towards the end of that hearing, so I can speak with him myself. Until then, you are all excused."

With one final strike of the gavel, the court was dismissed.

Khanna Mansion – next day, Wednesday, 11 am

Shagun paced back and forth in her living room, craning her neck towards the entrance every now and again.

"Yeh Mishra ji kahan reh gaye?" she muttered. 

Five minutes later, the doorbell rang. The butler opened the door and Jeet Mishra walked in. 

"Mishra ji? Aap kahan reh gaye the?! I've been waiting for twenty minutes!" Shagun complained. 

"Sorry Shagun ji. I got stuck in traffic."

"Accha chaliye. Kal ke liye aapki court ki kya strategy hai, woh discuss kar lete hai."

"One minute Shagun ji." Mishra stopped Shagun before she could turn away. "Aap ko to pata hi hai. Main apni fees hearing ke pehle leta hoon. So first, pay me my fees for tomorrow's hearing, and then we can talk."

"Fine. Come with me," Shagun huffed. 

She led him up the stairs of their mansion and approached the study. Ashok and Suraj sat at the desk facing each other. 

"Ashok, the lawyer needs to be paid his fees." Shagun ran a finger through her curls. 

"Not now." Ashok's eyes remained fixed on his laptop. 

"Ashok!" she screamed. 

"What?!" Ashok slammed his hand against the desk, finally looking at Shagun, face screwed up in rage.

"Mishra ji ko unki fees de do!"

"It's two lakh rupees for tomorrow's hearing," Mishra piped up.

"Two lakhs?!" Ashok exclaimed in shock as he shot up from his chair. They were on the verge of bankruptcy and all this woman could think about was herself. "Shagun, I've had it with you. Main tumhe do lakh toh kya, do phooti kaudi nahin dene waala!"

Shagun's eyes widened. "You've already refused to stay by my side during Adi's custody case. This is the least you could do!"

Ashok rolled his eyes at the woman's tantrums. "I have a meeting across town. I got to go," he declared dismissively.

He shut his laptop and deposited it in his bag, smoothing his coat as he made to leave.

"Wait Ashok," Suraj called out. "Just sign this for me before you go." He turned a file towards him. 

"What's this?"

"I'm trying to secure funding from this investor I used to know. I just need your sign too since we co-own the company." Suraj opened the file and pointed where Ashok needed to sign.

"Fine."

Ashok hoisted his laptop bag over his shoulder and hastily scribbled his signature, before flying past Shagun and Mishra. 

"Ashok! Tum aisa nahi kar sakte!" Shagun screamed. "I need the lawyer for this case! And he needs his fees!" 

She followed him downstairs, crying out for his help, but her cries fell on deaf ears. Ashok left out the front door, slamming it in her face, leaving her behind.

Mishra cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um... Shagun ji, agar mujhe meri fees nahi mili toh main aapko represent nahi kar sakta."

Shagun wiped her tears and turned to glare at her lawyer. "Aapko aapki fees mil jaayegi. Main kuch karti hoon."

"Kya karengi aap?" Mishra scoffed. He knew her and her fiancé well. Shagun didn't have her own money. And Ashok had obviously refused to pay.

"Main... Main woh..."

"Let it be Ms. Arora. It's clear that you can't afford me anymore. So I can't represent you. Bye."

He stepped towards the front door but Shagun stopped him.

"Wait! You can't leave like this! Mera... Mera case kaun ladega?"

"Hire someone else. And if you can't afford someone then the court will appoint someone for you. You still have the civil right to counsel. You'll find someone. All I know is that I can't represent you anymore."

He dashed out of the mansion and Shagun was left behind, all alone.

Delhi Civil Court – next day, Thursday, July 26, 9:55 am

Raman squirmed in his seat on the bench. If all went well, then the decision of the custody case would be declared today. His eyelids fluttered shut as he sent another silent prayer to the gods above.

"Raman?" Ishita shook his forearm from where she sat beside him. 

"Kya hua?" he asked. 

She nodded her head towards the opposition. "Woh dekhiye. Shagun has a new lawyer today. Do you think she has another trick up her sleeve?"

Raman's eyes widened in surprise. "I have no idea."

He leaned forward and tapped Pathak's shoulder. "Neil! What's with the new lawyer over there? Where's Mishra?"

Pathak looked over to his right. He recognized the new lawyer she had retained... and smiled. 

"Tu muskura raha hai?" Raman asked quizzically.

"Bhai, bhabhi..." Pathak twisted around in his seat and faced Raman and Ishita. "That's Yash Agarwaal. He's a government-appointed junior civil lawyer. Looks like Shagun couldn't afford Mishra any longer, so the judge assigned one for her. Courts usually appoint lawyers for people who can't afford one." 

Realization dawned in Raman's eyes and he leaned back, as Pathak adjusted his posture and faced the front. Judge Uma Banerjee had arrived in the courtroom. She struck her gavel to let the proceedings begin.

Agarwaal stood up and cleared his throat. "Your honor, Counselor Mishra has backed out of the case, so I will be representing Ms. Arora today."

"Sounds good. Please proceed," Banerjee said. 

Agarwaal wiped a bead of sweat from his brow as he stepped forward. He had received the case file less than two hours ago, and considering his inexperience, there was no way he could've prepared thoroughly enough to present any more evidence. In fact, Shagun herself didn't have anything more to present in her favor. He got a hold of his nerves and found his voice.

"Your honor, I believe Mr. Mishra had presented all the available evidence in the last hearing. Therefore, I rest my case. I am ready to proceed to closing arguments."

"Very well."

As Pathak and Agarwaal presented their closing arguments, Shagun stewed in her seat. This was the most humiliating experience of her life. The fact that she couldn't afford the topmost lawyer, the fact that this new lawyer couldn't even put up a fair fight, the fact that she had no one in her corner compared to the herd of people who were on Raman's side. Her blood bubbled with the fury of her hurt ego.

"All right then." Banerjee finished her notes and addressed the courtroom. "Before I give my decision, I'd like to speak with Aditya. Is he here?"

"He's here your honor!" Romi called out.

They all collectively turned their heads to see Romi and Rinki enter the courtroom with Adi. 

"I hope we're not late," Romi said. "We had lots of traffic on the way."

"You're right on time," Banerjee replied. "Aditya beta, please follow me to my chambers."

Adi nodded and followed the judge, passing through the aisle between the rows of benches. 

He looked to his left. His big fat family all smiled at him, nodding and showing thumbs-up signals to boost his morale. But his anxiety wasn't completely quashed until his gaze landed on his parents. 

"Beta, don't feel scared, okay?" Raman said. "There is nothing to worry about. Just answer the judge's questions as best as you can."

Adi nodded. 

"And don't worry Adi," Ishita added. "Everything you tell the judge will be between the two of you only. So be completely open and honest, okay?" She grasped his hand and squeezed reassuringly.

"Okay Aunty." Adi squeezed her hand back. 

He turned to his right to follow the judge out of the back door. As he walked, he passed Shagun and glanced at her. Other than the lawyer, her entire side was empty. He gulped as his heart racked with guilt. How could he think of staying with the Bhallas when his mother was all alone?

When his eyes finally met Shagun's, his mouth went dry. Her eyes were red – almost bloodshot – glimmering with anger, fear, despair, and expectation all wrapped in one. And his spine shriveled. He averted his eyes and left the room for the judge's chambers.

Shagun managed to suck in a deep breath in her lungs as Adi walked away. There was still hope for her. All was not lost yet. Adi... Adi had to choose her. He was all she had left.

Judge Uma Banerjee's Chambers – 10:15 am

"Hello Aditya," Banerjee spoke softly to the boy seated on the other side of her desk.

"Hi Aunty." Adi fidgeted with his fingers. "I-I mean... Hi your honor."

"It's okay beta. You can call me Aunty," Banerjee chuckled lightly. "Beta, do you know why you're here?"

Adi nodded. "It's my custody case, right? You have to decide who I'll stay with permanently."

"Yes beta. I want to ask you a few questions. Is that all right?"

"Yeah sure."

"Great. Beta, can you talk to me about your dad and stepmom? How long have you been living with them?"

"It's been almost..." Adi did some mental math. "...three months."

"I see. And how do you like it there?" 

"I love it there!" The lines of anxiety vanished from his face replaced by a bright smile. "Dad and Aunty are great. And they're so funny. They fight about weirdest things." He laughed as he recounted the hilarious tiffs and banters he had witnessed over food preferences, career differences, and cultural variations. "They're the cutest!"

"My husband and I fight over the same things. I'm Bengali and he's Marathi. And while I'm in law, he's in the armed forces," Banerjee chuckled. "Who else is in your family?"

"Um... my sister Ruhi! She's the biggest draamebaaz of the world! And there's chachu and bua, dadu and dadi..."

Adi talked animatedly about his family and everything they did together. His hands waved around merrily and his body language turned vibrant as he detailed his time with the Bhallas.

"Ishita Aunty and Dadi make the best Indian food. I never thought I could like Indian food so much, you know? But dad makes better Italian stuff. His tomato sauce is the best I've ever had! Oh, and we all play so many games together! Carrom, monopoly, card games, and even football. Dad almost always wins at carrom, and Tata somehow always wins at monopoly. And Dadi and Paati always end up fighting when they play cards together. Paati thinks Dadi cheats..." he chuckled. "But I'm the best at football! Did you know I made the regional football team?!"

A soft smile crept up Banerjee's lips despite her insistence on remaining neutral and professional. Kids were her weakness. She loved seeing them this sprightly.

"I'm glad to hear that beta," she said, when Adi managed to end his monologue. "What about the time you've spent with your mom? Can you tell me more about that?"

Immediately the light went out in his eyes. But he shook his head and slapped a smile on his face. "I have fun there too. We um... we go shopping sometimes. Mom loves to buy new things. And she loves jewelry and sarees a lot. Sometimes we even go out to eat. Her favorite food is usually stuff like bagels and eggs and coffee..."

It didn't escape Banerjee's notice how all his past-times with Shagun centered on what she liked.

Finally, she asked the momentous question. "Aditya beta, where do you think you should stay?" 

He opened his mouth to ask to be kept with the Bhallas. It was right there on the tip of his tongue. But no words fell out.

The image from the courtroom flashed against his eyes. His mother, all alone, eyes raining fire. His father and stepmother and sister all had each other. They'd be fine without him. But his mother? Not so much. 

His heart screamed at him in retaliation but he knew exactly what he needed to do. He gathered every last ounce of courage he had left and spoke out in a hoarse voice, "Aunty, I-I have to... I have to stay with my mom. She... she needs me."

"Why do you say that beta?"

"Because... because she relies on me. She's done so much for me Aunty... I can't l-leave her alone now. She expects me to be there for her."

"Okay beta. I understand."

Banerjee's expression turned solemn as she realized the depth of internal turmoil this boy was in. Kids were her weakness. She hated seeing them this dejected.

"Aap jaa sakte hain beta. Go wait with your family in the courtroom. I'll come back and announce my verdict in a minute."

Adi stood up from his chair on wobbly legs. The only sounds he heard were the scrawl of Banerjee's pen, the noise from the fan, and his heart breaking like glass. The smiling faces of Raman, Ishita, and Ruhi flashed against his eyes, and those shards of glass pierced his chest. He had made this same decision five year ago, out of innocence, without knowing how deep the consequences of his words could go. But now, he took this decision, knowing full well he was about to break three hearts.

Sorry Papa.

Sorry Ishita Aunty.

Sorry Ruhi chuhi.

Author's Note

Hello my precious readers! Sorry for keeping you waiting for so long for an update. School has started so my updates will be a bit more infrequent. But still, I'll try my best. ❤️🤗

Firstly, I want to let you know that the court case I've presented here is completely fictitious. I'm sure you already know this, but I wanted to make it clear, because I have zero knowledge about law and court cases. Everything I know comes from watching Law and Order SVU. This probably isn't what a legal trial looks like in India, but I think it's realistic enough for a work of fiction. 

I wanted to write this trial to show the complications and nuances behind a custody trial. I wanted to bring up issues like whether one slap can count as abuse, whether parents have the right to hit their kids or not, and the balance between time and money. 

I also wanted to hit on circumstances where women are forced to let go of babies they've given birth to. Lot's of women find themselves in situations where they can't raise a child so they have to put them up for adoption. I believe Shagun found herself in a similar situation six years ago but obviously, she didn't go about it as maturely as she should have, choosing to instead exploit the situation for her own selfishness.

As we can see, Shagun is starting to face the consequences of her choices over the years. While Raman, Ishita, and the Bhallas are flourishing, Shagun, Ashok, and Suraj are crumbling as a unit. Life is coming full-circle, as both sides are receiving the fruits of their actions (even if they are years late). Wait up until the next chapter to see Shagun's complete downfall.

Lastly, I'm sure you guys may be upset that Adi has chosen to stay with his mother towards the end. But unfortunately, this is a very realistic scenario. People who have been trapped under someone's thumb and who have been exploited emotionally (or abused in any way) take years and years to come out from under their perpetrator's shadow, especially when the perpetrator is their parent. I know of people who have taken over 15-20 years to cut off certain relations. 

But rest assured, he'll get his happy ending soon. And Shagun will face her consequences soon as well. 

Stay happy and healthy! I'll try to update the next chapter soon! ❤️❤️❤️

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very interesting and amazing 

update please update next part soon 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 58

Delhi Civil Court – 10:25 am

Adi approached Raman and Ishita and sat down between them, eyes downcast. He didn't have the courage to even look at them. Instead, he simply basked in the warmth and love radiating off of them, stealing the last few selfish moments he had with them. 

Footsteps sounded in front of them signalling the judge's arrival. Banerjee took her seat in the judge's chair and addressed the courtroom.

"I have heard all the arguments and considered all the evidence and testimony, and I have reached my verdict," she announced. "It's highly unlikely of this court to reverse one of its decision, much less a permanent custody decision. But the evidence is glaring that the decision was wrong."

Raman and Ishita looked at each other, hope and joy flickering in their eyes. Shagun's face paled and her heart fell. 

"I have had the misfortune of observing emotional abuse in many defendants and witnesses for many years. And it pains me to say that such a young boy has been subjected to such abuse for such a long time at such a tender age. Aditya and Shagun's relationship is rife with toxicity and manipulation, and it is clear to me that he cannot remain in her care."

"NO!" Shagun screamed. The walls seemed to close in on her and she struggled to breathe. "No, this isn't right! You can't do this to me!""

"Do not interrupt me Ms. Arora!" Banerjee warned. "This isn't about you anymore! You have misused your power and authority over your son by manipulating him for your own selfish gains. You have filled him with fear and guilt instead of love and joy and confidence. You fail to realize that you're the parent in this equation. You should be the responsible one. Instead, you've put the burden of your responsibility and expectations on your ten-year-old son."

Shagun slumped back in her seat, dejected and crestfallen.

Banerjee continued with her verdcit. "I've decided that Aditya Bhalla's permanent custody will be granted to his biological father Raman Bhalla and stepmother Ishita Bhalla. Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla can decide on visitation rights for biological mother Shagun Arora at their own discretion until Aditya turns eighteen. Once he is of age, he can decide how to maintain his relationship with his mother. Case closed indefinitely."

A shaky breath of relief rushed out of Raman's nose and a small smile crept up on Ishita's lips. They instinctively turned towards their son cocooned between them and wrapped their arms around him. Tears streamed down their face in earnest, as Ishita rubbed her son's back and Raman kissed his hair. 

As the judge's words seeped into Adi's mind, the pressure in his chest abated, freedom and merriment running in his veins. When he had left the judge's chambers, he had thought his life was over. He had thought he had signed up for a lifetime of heartbreak. But the judge had pleasantly surprised him. It wasn't a decision he had expected, but he welcomed it nevertheless. Just as he welcomed the warmth and love he was wrapped in at the moment.

On the other hand, Shagun's eyes pooled with tears which leaked down her cheeks, mingling with the perspiration on her neck. One moment. One moment was all it took for her world to come crashing down. Her chest physically hurt from the devastation. 

This couldn't be happening. This couldn't be happening. This couldn't be happening. No... No... No...

"NO!" she screamed, pouring her rage and anguish into her shrill voice. "Yeh nahi ho sakta! You can't do this to me, you hear! I won't let you take my son away!"

"That's it!" Banerjee bellowed. "Shagun Arora, you are held in contempt of court. Court officers, please remove this woman from my courtroom!"

As two female court officers dragged a blubbering Shagun away, Ishita and Raman shielded Adi, quickly ushering him out of the courtroom. The Bhallas and Iyers silently understood their predicament, choosing to delay their celebration until they reached home. 

Akash Ganga Society Compound – 11 am

"Oh Romi! Aur zor se dhol baja!" Toshi exclaimed. "Mera puttar ghar aa gaya! Ab humaara parivaar pura ho gaya! Raman, Ruhi, te Adi... Mere saare bacche itne saalon baad ghar aa gaye!"

Toshi danced to the beats of Bhangra as Romi played the drum enthusiastically. The entire herd of Bhallas and Iyers had gathered in the compound, dancing and jumping with joy, with Adi and Ruhi at the center.

As soon as they had left the courthouse, Raman had called Mihika and Simi – who were babysitting Ruhi – to inform them of their win. Consequently, upon their arrival at home, they were immediately pulled into a circle of dance and joy. 

Ruhi jumped in the middle, twisting her hips and holding hands with Ananya, teaching her her best ballet and bharatanatyam moves. Adi raised his hands over his head, bouncing them up and down to the beats of the drum. Toshi, Omprakash, Madhu, Vishwa, Raman, Ishita, Rinki, Romi, Simi, and Mihika danced around them, each of them with unique moves but similar smiles. 

Ishita's phone vibrated in her purse and she momentarily stepped away from the crowd to answer it. 

"Hello Akka?" she yelled over the drums.

"Hi Ishu! Maine suna tum log case jeet gaye!" Vandu exclaimed. "Congratulations!"

"Kya kahaa aapne? Aapki aawaz kat rahi hai Akka!"

"I said congratulations on winning the case!"

The clamor of the drums continued in the background, and Ishita still couldn't hear her sister. Rather than shout into her phone, she hung up the phone and texted her sister instead.

Ishita: Akka, everyone's dancing here and drums are playing. I can't hear you over the noise.

Vandu: No worries Ishu... I figured  😅

Vandu: I just wanted to say congratulations on winning the case!  🎊🎉

Ishita: Thank you so much!

Vandu: I'm sorry I couldn't be there in person. I'm trying to get as much work done as I can before I go on maternity leave. And your niece/nephew has been kicking me all morning today. 

Ishita: Don't worry about that akka... You just take care of yourself and the baby. 

Vandu: We'll talk soon darling... I got to go right now.

Ishita: Sure sure. No worries. 

She deposited her phone in her purse and turned around to join the festivities, only for a hand to pull her away into the staircase of their building. 

"Who-"

"Shhh... It's me," Raman said, holding her close. 

"Raman, aap mujhe yahan kyun lekar aa gaye? Sab log toh bahar-"

"I just need a minute. I just... I can't believe it..." he breathed. His eyes shone with disbelief. "Six years... It took six whole years..." 

His body racked with suppressed emotion, and a lone tear leaked from the corner of his eye. 

Ishita pressed her lips against his cheek, kissing his tears away. 

"Raman, please aap royiye mat," she pleaded as she pulled back. "It's over. It's all over. Adi is home now."

He nodded at his wife, but the tears didn't stop. Six years of agony and uncertainty had reared back and knocked into him, relief violently gushing over him. 

Ishita understood his predicament very well. She was in the exact same boat. Rather than finding the words to soothe him, she simply wrapped her arms around his chest, cradling his head in her neck and rocking him back and forth. 

"You know madrasan, there was a time when I was so alone," he sniffed. "I had no one. Nothing but despair and pity. And now..."

"Shhh..." Ishita rubbed his back, up and down, up and down. "You'll never be alone. Aisa kabhi mat sochna."

Raman straightened his posture and faced his wife, cupping her cheek. Ishita leaned into his touch. 

"I know. I have you. And you have me," he said, tapping his forehead against hers.

"And we have both our kids now," she replied. "Ruhi is ours. And Adi is ours now too."

Raman pressed a hard, passionate kiss against her lips before engulfing her in a tight hug, pressing his face against her hair. Ishita snaked her hands around his waist, drawing him close, nuzzling his neck.

They had finally achieved everything they had ever dreamed of. They had finally gotten everything they could've ever hoped for. 

Mayur Vihar Police Station – a few hours later

Shagun gripped the iron bars of the jail cell, as her head pounded with exhaustion and tears stained her makeup. 

She had been held in contempt of court earlier today, which meant she had two options: pay a fine of 15,000 rupees in cash, or spend a night in jail. Obviously, she didn't even consider the latter. 

She had opened her purse to pay the fees and realized that she had only 12,000 rupees of cash on her person. She was allowed one phone call to arrange the money, which she had made to Ashok, only for her call to go unanswered. She had redialed his number twice, but it all went to waste. As a consequence of being unable to pay her fine, she had been locked in a jail cell to spend the night. 

She shook the cell bars, demanding attention. Again. 

"Koi sun raha hai ki nahi?! Can anyone get me some water in this god forbidden place?!" she shrieked. 

At the desk, the police inspector rolled his eyes again. He gestured to a nearby lady constable and asked her to deal with the newest addition to their lockup. "Just get her to shut up na," he asked in a low voice.

The lady constable nodded and approached Shagun, gazing at her through the bars of the cell. 

"Kya chahiye tujhe?" she asked impatiently. 

"Paani chahiye. Suna nahi tumne?" Shagun sneered.

"Udhar hi hai paani." The constable pointed to an earthen pot and steel glass inside the lockup. 

Disgust crawled over Shagun's skin. "Main woh paani nahin piyungi. Mujhe mineral water chahiye."

"Tu koi heroine hai? Jo tere liye mineral water mangaayenge? Us matke mein peene ka paani hi hai. Chahiye to pee warna chup chaap baithi raho. Aur suno... You're lucky ki is lockup mein tu akeli hai. Agar zyada naatak kiya na, toh tujhe andar ke jail cell mein transfer kar denge. Woh bhi dusri auraton ke saath!"

The constable tapped on the bars of cell with her police stick as a final warning before stomping away. 

Shagun gulped in fear and staggered back. Her last vestiges of logic and self-preservation kicked in and urged her to comply with the police. She had the cell all to herself. She couldn't afford wasting away such tiny mercies. 

Her hands trembled as she picked up the steel glass and dipped it into the clay pot to fill it with water. She hesitantly brought the glass to her lips, barely hiding her disgust. The first gulp of cold water gushed down her throat, stinging her like acid. She was the woman who had sent the finest, most exotic dishes back to the chef if they weren't to her liking. And now she was forced to drink unfiltered water from a clay pot through an unhygienic steel glass. 

She placed the glass down once she was done and slumped against the wall, sliding to the floor, the cold iron bars digging into her side. She lifted her pallu, holding it close to her chest, trying to save as much of her saree as she could from the filthy floor. Tears streamed down her cheeks and a shudder of utter devastation rolled through her body.

How the mighty had fallen! The woman who used to have every luxury she had desired, who used to have the world at the tip of her fingers... The same woman couldn't gather up enough money to get herself out of jail. The woman who was once able to have men fawn over her, who was able to get whatever she wanted by pulling their strings... The same woman couldn't get her own fiancé to show up to help her.

Her head fell back against the concrete wall, as she lost the struggle against her remorse and her sobs rang around the lockup.

She had squandered away everything she had ever dreamed of. She had lost everything she had ever possessed. 

Bhalla House, Raman and Ishita's bedroom – 10 pm

Raman groaned as he slammed his laptop shut and stretched his arms above his head. His backbone cracked as he leaned back against the couch and massaged the knots in his shoulders. He had spent the last three hours catching up on what he had missed at the office during the custody case, emailing a few clients about their contracts. Mihir and Romi had handled everything well in his absence, but he was eager to reclaim the reins himself. 

He placed his laptop on the other end of the couch and stood up to be greeted by a heavenly sight. Ishita sat in front of the dresser, running a comb through her tresses. He creeped up behind his wife and locked eyes with her in the mirror. 

"Kya baat hai?" Ishita flirtatiously raised her eyebrows at her husband. 

"Lao, mujhe do..." 

He grabbed the comb from her hand and ran it through her hair over and over, scratching and soothing her scalp, causing her to hum in pleasure. Unfortunately, that also meant some bristles of the comb occasionaly caught on a few knots in her hair, pulling at her scalp painfully. 

"Ouch!" she yelped. 

"Kya hua?" Raman asked. 

"Mere baal khich rahe hai!" Immediately, Ishita grabbed the comb from Raman's hand before he could do any further damage. "Kya kar rahe hain aap?"

"Arey! Maine kya kiya?"

"Abhi mere baal toot jaate!" She brought her hair over her shoulder and unknotted her tresses herself, muttering irritably. "Itni zor se koi khichta hai kya?"

"Toh isme meri kya galti hai?! Galti tumhare baalon ki hai!"

"Accha ji? Matlab aapki galti toh kabhi hoti hi nahi, haina?" she mocked. 

"Absolutely not. Problem tumhaare baalon mein hi hai. Ghode ki poonch ugaa rakhi hai."

"Yeh waala nayaa laaye aap. Mujhe lagaa aap bologe mere baal saadhu ki jataayein jaisi hai." She placed her comb on the dresser and stood up to face her husband.

"Nahin nahin... aisa thodi bol sakta hoon... Kisi saadhu ki jataayein mein bhi itne knots nahin honge."

Ishita's mouth fell open in shock. "Mujhe aapse baat hi nahin karni." 

She made to stomp away from her husband, only for him to catch her by the waist and push her onto their bed, falling on top of her. A teasing grin adorned his lips and Ishita bit her inner cheeks to avoid smiling. 

"Thik hai, mat karo mujhse baat," he whispered. "Besides, I think we can put our lips to much better use."

He leaned in closer and closer and closer...

A series of frantic knocks sounded at their door, causing them to spring apart. 

"Tsk tsk..." Raman clicked his tongue in disapproval. "Ek din main lohe ka darwaaza lagaa dunga idhar."

"Shhh... Kuch bhi Raman."

Ishita straightened her kurti and opened the door to find Adi standing on the other side, a million unanswered questions in his eyes, lines of concern in his forehead. 

"Adi? Kya hua?" Ishita's voice was laced with concern. "Aap soye nahi abhi tak?"

He shook his head in the negative. 

"Aao na... andar aao."

Ishita ushered him into their room and sat with him on their bed, as Raman joined them on the other side. 

"What's wrong Adi?" Raman asked, caressing his head.

Adi exchanged glances with Raman and Ishita, unable to voice the questions that had been circling his head for two days. 

Flashback from this afternoon

After the trial verdict and ensuing celebration, lunch had been organized at the Iyers' place at Madhu's insistence. Spirits were lively and food was savory, easing the tension that the preceding court case had brought along. The children were seated at the table with Vandu, Madhu, and Toshi, while everyone else had found a spot in the living room and kitchen.

"Here Miku, I got you some extra kachoris." Mihir and his wife stood at the edge of the kitchen, eating from a single plate on which he placed a couple kachoris.

"Thanks baby." Mihika dipped a kachori in chutney and relished the spicy deep-fried delicacy. "I'm so glad tum office se lunch ke aa gaye. Isse pehle ka toh saara celebration tumne miss kar diya," she pouted.

Unbeknownest to them, their nephew had silently crept up behind them to retrieve a handful of laddoos from the kitchen counter. 

"Koi baat nahi baby. Waise bhi maine Ruhi ke custody ka celebration to dekha hi tha na. Yaad hai, bhai-bhabhi ke shaadi ke pehle humne neeche ke community hall mein bada celebration kiya tha?" Mihir reminisced. 

Adi made to leave silently with a handful of laddoos, but Mihir and Mihika's conversation had intrigued him. It was wrong to eavesdrop. He knew that. But he couldn't help himself. 

"Us celebration ki toh baat hi mat karna Mihir," Mihika warned. 

"Kyun?"

"Bhul gaye? Woh sirf jeeju aur saare Bhallas ke liye celebration tha. Lekin akka ke liye woh kitna sad day tha..."

"Oh yeah... I remember. Tum mujh par kitna bhadak gayi thi us din," Mihir rolled his eyes.

Mihika shot him a warning look. "Mera gussa hona jaayaz tha! Tum khud socho... Akka had to let go of Ruhi and send her away to jeeju. Unke liye kitna-"

"Chod na Miku!" Mihir insisted. "Ab un baaton ka kya faayda? Ab toh Ruhi aur Adi dono ghar aa gaye. Aur bhai-bhabhi bhi saath ho gaye."

Adi's mind raced with a million questions, as he crept away with the laddoos. He recalled Ruhi's explanation from two days ago and his confusion amplified. He needed answers. Today. 

Flashback ends

Adi faced his parents and took a deep breath. "Mujhe aap dono se kuch puchna hai."

"Haan bolo beta," Raman insisted.

"Pehle aap log promise kijiye ki aap mujhe sach-sach jawaab denge."

"Okay... okay we promise. Ab bolo."

"Papa, Ishita Aunty... Ruhi aap logon ki life mein kaise aayi?"

Raman's face paled and Ishita inhaled a sharp breath. They locked eyes with each other, nervousness and apprehension passing between them. 

"Aapko yeh kyun jaanna hai?" Ishita asked. 

"Mujhe jaanna hai bas!" Adi exclaimed. He revealed what Ruhi had told him, what he had heard Mihir and Mihika talking about, and how many questions had risen in his mind.

Raman chewed his lip and raised his eyebrow at Ishita, posing a question. The truth would break his son's heart. He was already home for good. Why did he need to burden him with such an ugly truth?

Ishita nodded at Raman. They needed to tell Adi the truth. He was going to find out one way or another. It was better if he heard it him from them, so they could at least control the fallout. 

Raman understood her signal and took a deep breath. 

"Adi beta, listen carefully to me. What we're going to tell you might be confusing... And it might be a bit hurtful. But that's why we're here for you, okay? Ask us any questions you have, okay?" Raman said. 

Adi nodded cautiously. 

After one last glance at his wife, Raman began narrating the tale of how they found Ruhi in an orphanage and how she ended up there in the first place.

Adi listened intently. His face remained neutral and expressionless even as a million emotions raced through his heart, ranging from shock and dismay to disappointment and utter betrayal. 

"Ru-Ruhi orphanage mein thi...?" he whispered. 

Raman nodded. 

"Mom left her there... As a baby...?"

His father nodded again.

Adi averted his gaze and a sheen of tears appeared in his eyes. He had known loneliness first-hand. And the thought of his baby sister all alone amongst strangers sent sharp needles of pain through the flesh of his heart. All because of his mom.

He had blamed Ishita for stealing Ruhi and Raman away from him and Shagun. He had distanced himself from his own father and family because of the misunderstandings created by his mom. He had missed out on so many memories with them. All because of his mom. 

The weight of his mother's betrayal threatened to crush him. His entire worldview had been dismantled. Everything his mom had ever told him came into question. Everything was a lie... 

Lies... Lies... Lies... Deafening echoes rang in his ears. Why? Just why would she do something like this?

"Papa, mom ne aisa kyun kiya?" he asked innocently. 

Raman sighed. "I think it's because she didn't want to raise a baby. She um... she..."

"She liked spending time with Ashok and his money more." Adi bitterly finished his father's statement. 

He knew his mother's predicament very well. He couldn't even count how many times she had ditched him and his special events for Ashok and his fancy parties. He had made excuses for her for years because of his staunch belief that she loved him the most. But that belief had long been dismantled. 

"Main apne kamre mein jaa raha hoon," Adi announced. 

He made to get up but Ishita caught him by the wrist and stopped him.

"Adi, aaj yahin pe humaare saath so jao na?" she suggested. She had sensed how distraught her son was, and she couldn't let him be alone right now. 

To her delight, Adi nodded. 

Adi's parents gently coaxed him into bed. Ishita pulled up the blanket to his chin, as Raman switched off the bedside lamp. While Ishita carressed his hair, Raman hugged his son from behind, helping Adi calm down. 

After such a nasty revelation, Adi sought for genuine motherly warmth. He scooched forward and hugged Ishita around the waist, her heartbeat soothing his own racing pulse. Recognizing the opportunity, Ishita took a chance, a tiny risk. She pressed a soft kiss against Adi's forehead, causing an involuntary smile to appear on his face. Slowly but surely, he was sent into a peaceful slumber.

Khanna Mansion – the next day, 2 pm

Screams... Clang... Smash...

Shagun jerked awake in her thousand thread count bed and groaned in frustration. After an uncomfortable night in lockup, all she had wanted to do was sleep for the rest of the day. But her slumber had been cut short by the racket downstairs. 

Ashok and Suraj's muffled shouts reached her ears and curiousity got the better of her. She uncovered her duvet and tied her hair, rushing downstairs. She arrived at the base of the staircase and her feet stilled at the scene unfolding before her.

"I can't believe you Suraj!" Ashok roared angrily, throwing down a vase and shattering it to pieces. "How could you do this?!"

"You better believe it brother mine," Suraj drawled, with his hands in his pockets and a smug smile on his face.

"Tumne mujhe dhokha diya hai!" he accused his brother.

"I had no goddamn choice," Suraj gritted out. "Tumhare bharose par company chodta to ab tak humaara diwaala nikal jaata. Now I'll take care of my business the way I see fit."

"My business?! It's our business!"

"Not anymore. You signature on this agreement proves otherwise." Suraj flashed an official document in front of his eyes. "See for yourself."

Ashok hastily grabbed the paper from his brother's hands and read it. It was a document stating that Ashok had given up all his rights on their business and joint property, making Suraj the sole owner. His eyes frantically ran down the page. It was true. There is was, his signature at the bottom. 

Suddenly, his eyes widened with realization. 

"Yeh toh wohi papers hai jin par tumne parso meri sign li thi!" he realized. "Tumne toh kahan tha kisi investor se funding laane ke liye hai!"

"Sorry brother." Suraj placed a hand on his shoulder in fake consolation. "Mujhe pata tha tum voluntarily sign nahi karte. So I had to do what I had to do."

Ashok shrugged his hand off and tore up the agreement. "Main nahi maanta aise fake papers ko!"

Suraj rolled his eyes and shook his head as he stepped back and sat down on the sofa. "Yeh papers faad dene se kuch nahi hoga. Yeh sirf photocopy thi. Original agreement maine sambhaal kar rakh diya hai."

"Suraj! Main tumhe nahin chodunga!" Rage pushed Ashok forward, scrambling to attack his brother.

"Calm down Ashok." Suraj put forth a lazy hand to stop him. "Agar tum mere ghar mein rehna chaaho to reh sakte ho. Main tumhe ghar se nahin nikaalunga. Mujhe sirf apne business se matlab tha." He stood up and tugged at the lapels of his coat. "Abhi mujhe bahar jaana hai. Main tumhe shaam ko milta hoon, phir baat karenge."

Suraj stomped off and headed for the door. Before he left however, he snapped his fingers at one of the staff members. "Clean up that mess in the living room before I get home," he ordered. 

As the staff moved in to clean up the shattered glass and disheveled cushions, a fuming Ashok was forced to get out of their way. 

"Ashok! What the hell just happened?!" Shagun asked, following her fiancé upstairs. 

"Are you blind or what?!" Ashok yelled without sparing her another glance. "Mere khud ke bhai ne mujhe dhokha de diya!" 

He stomped upstairs and Shagun followed him, eventually reaching their bedroom.

"What now?!" Shagun asked. 

Ashok inhaled a deep breath and closed his eyes, willing his rage to dial down so he could think straight. He needed to get back his business. He needed to get back at Suraj for his treachery. 

"Ashok! Are you even listening to me?!" his fianceé shrieked. 

Ashok cursed under his breath. Before he could come up with a plan, he needed to get rid of a cumbersome burden.

"You know what? We're done," he declared, finally facing Shagun.

"What?!"

"Yeah, you heard me. Get out of here right now! Tumhara mera rishta khatam!"

A snake of anxiety crawled up her throat, threatening to squeeze the life out of her. 

"No... NO! Tum aisa nahi kar sakte! Maine apna sab kuch tumhaare liye chod diya tha!" she reminded him.

"Mere liye nahi choda tha, mere paiso ke liye choda tha. Aur ab, main tumhe chod raha hoon. I have enough problems in my life. I don't need to deal with you on top of everything else."

"N-No... Ashok please... I'm begging you... Please don't do this!" she sobbed, running to him and shaking his arm in entreaty.

Ashok huffed irritably and shook her off. "I already did it, Shagun! You've outlived your use for me. You're a liability instead of an asset now. So out you go!"

"No... N-No..." Shagun's cries turned weaker as the weight of Ashok's declaration settled in her chest.

"Tumhe pata hai Shagun, tum ek tissue paper ki tarah ho. Use and throw. I used you for six long years... Now, it's time to throw!"

He pushed her back, causing her to fall against the bed, as he stomped off, leaving a sobbing mess of a woman behind. 

Shagun pulled on her hair and her face screwed up as a silent scream left her mouth, violent tears gushing down her cheeks and neck. It was over. It was all over. She had nothing left. She had no one left. 

What would she do now?

Bhalla House – 5 pm

"Ishimaa, how do you pronounce this?" Ruhi asked from the kitchen table. 

"Ek minute, aayi." Ishita turned off the stove and dusted off her hands before joining her daughter. "Which word are you having trouble with, beta?"

Ruhi pointed at the middle of the page of her chapter book. 

"Beta, that says 'consequence.'" 

"Matlab?"

"Consequence means... result. Effect. Aap koi choice karo ya koi decision lo, toh phir uska jo bhi effect aata hai, use consequence kehte hai."

"Ohhh... con-se-quence." Ruhi sounded out the word and continued reading. 

Ishita gently ruffled her daughter's hair. It had taken a long negotiation, but she had finally persuaded her to spend some time reading, especially since school would start soon. Other than a few hesitant groans, she had readily complied. 

But right now, it was her other kid she was worried about. Adi had become uncannily quiet after last night. He hadn't shown a visible reaction after their conversation, holding in every emotion and expression. It was the quiet before a storm. He was a ticking time bomb... and he was going to explode sooner or later.

Speaking of whom, her husband appeared at the table with their son. 

"Come beta." Raman coaxed Adi to sit down beside Ishita and handed him a glass of water. He had been cooped up in his room all afternoon, and Raman had resolved to bring him outside. 

Adi took a couple sips of water and set the glass down. He still refused to speak. Raman exchanged a wary glance with his wife.

"Adi, main aaj dinner ke liye drumstick ki sabzi bana rahi hoon. Kaisa rahega?" Ishita asked. 

Adi nodded in agreement. Ishita's heart fell. Adi, Ruhi, and Raman all hated drumsticks. 

"Ewww!" Ruhi squealed. "Ishimaa, no drumsticks! Please!" she pleaded. 

"Toh phir aaj kaunsi sabzi banaau?" she asked her children. "Tinde?" Neither of them liked tinde either.

Adi remained silent.

On the other hand, Ruhi gasped at the blasphemy. "Nooo! Not tinde! Aap na... Aap bhindi banaao aaj," she suggested.

"Okay done."

Footsteps sounded from the bedroom, and Toshi and Omprakash appeared.

"Puttar, hum log Simi ke ghar jaa rahe hai. Pulkit ke kuch rishtedaar aaye hai to unse milkar aate hai," Omprakash said. 

"Thik hai papa." Raman nodded.

"Adi! Ruhi!" Toshi called out as she slipped on her sandals and Omprakash tied his shoes. "Tum dono ko aana hai humaare saath? Ananya se milne?"

"Haan mujhe jaana hai!" Ruhi announced. "Ishimaa, main jau? Pleeeeease?" 

Ishita glanced at Ruhi's book. She had read half of it. She could read the rest later. "Thik hai baby. Jao."

"Adi bhaiya, aap bhi chalo na?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Nahi Ruhi, tum jaao," he whispered. 

Ruhi climbed down from her chair and went off with her grandparents. 

Raman sat down on the empty chair and sighed at his son. "Adi beta... Aap kab tak aise chup-chaap rahoge? Humse baat karo na, please?"

Ishita ran a hand down his back. "Bacche, you can't just stew like this all alone. I understand that you're sad, but you have to talk to us about it."

Before he could reply however, the doorbell rang. Ishita stood up and opened the door... and her mouth fell open in shock. 

"Shagun?"

Akash Ganga Society Compound - five minutes ago

Shagun hoisted her purse on her shoulder and trudged up the stairs of the building, breathing shakily. After Ashok had unceremoniously dumped her, she barely had the opportunity to gather some of her necessary documents and belongings before she was forced to leave the house.

She had found herself on the street, with nowhere to go and no one to help her. And the only person she could think of was her son. She may have lost his custody, but she knew he still loved her. She knew he would still be in her favor. Right?

Humiliated and frustrated, she had shown up at Akash Ganga Society, hoping for some help and support from the last people she could rely on. 

With trembling fingers, she rang the doorbell. The door creaked open and Ishita appeared, her mouth falling open in shock. Her surveying gaze slapped another bruise onto Shagun's hurt ego.

"Shagun?"

Adi and Raman's ears perked up at Ishita's voice. What was this woman doing here now? Hadn't she done enough? They stood up and walked into the living room. 

"Mujhe Adi se milna hai," Shagun demanded, desperately handing onto the last thread of pride she had left. She pushed past Ishita and walked in before she could protest.

"Adi..." Shagun brought her hand out to caress her son, but Adi stepped back, recoiling from her touch as if it burned him. Her eyes widened in shock. 

"Aap yahan kyun aayi ho?" Adi asked in a low, hoarse voice.

"Aisa... Aisa kyun bol rahe ho tum?" Shagun was stunned. "I'm your mother."

"Mother... yeah right," he scoffed. "You left me in a hostel all alone, and you left my sister in an orphanage. As a baby. What kind of a mother does that?"

Shagun staggered back and gasped, her fingers flying to her mouth. Ishita sucked in a sharp breath and rushed to her son. He was bursting at the seams. The time bomb was ticking.

"Y-Yeh tumhe k-kisne kaha?" she stammered. "These two? They're lying, Adi! Maine tumhe akela nahi choda tha! Yaad karo, yeh Raman... Is Raman ne hum dono ko chod diya tha! It was his fault!" She resorted to old tricks, grasping at whatever remaining hold she had on her son. 

Adi looked his mother in the eye and something unspoken passed between them. "You're right, mom," he whispered. "It's all dad's fault."

Shagun smiled in relief and Raman tensed up. His son turned around and faced him with watery eyes and a trembling chin. 

"Papa, aap ne Shagun mom se shaadi kyun ki?" His voice quivered with accusation. "Aap ko Shagun mom se kabhi shaadi nahi karni chaahiye thi. Aapko sirf Ishita Aunty se shaadi karni chahiye thi. Agar woh meri aur Ruhi ki mom hoti, toh humein kabhi itna pain nahi deti." 

All the tears he had held in since last night flowed unabashedly and he hiccupped from the force of his heartbreak.

Raman's face twisted in an effort to keep his composure, while Ishita's eyebrows scrunched up in empathy and heartache, as her son's words echoed those of her daughter's from seven months ago.

Bhagwaan ji se maybe mistake huyi thi. Unko mujhe Ishimaa ke tummy mein hi rakhna chahiye tha.

"H-How could you say that...?" Shagun whispered. "I'm your mother beta. I love you..."

The echoes in his mind grew louder. Lies... Lies... Lies...

"Mat bolo mujhe apna beta!" Adi roared, as he turned and faced his so-called mother. The bomb had exploded.

"All this time... all this time, I kept thinking about you. I made every decision in my life based on what you wanted! But you lied to me! Every time you opened your mouth, you lied! I was in hell trying to keep you happy and you didn't even care for me!" he screamed. "You don't love me! You don't love Ruhi! All you care about is yourself!" Anger bubbled in his blood, burning his insides, as regret gripped his heart like a vise.

And then Adi broke. His face broke, his back broke, his knees broke. His body fell to the ground, and he wailed in agony in utter despair and heartbreak. He would've turned into a crumbling heap of a mess on the floor if it weren't for his father's strong arms coming forward to grip his torso, holding him up. He leaned into his arms, taking his father's support, as it sunk into him just how much his mother had screwed his life up.

Raman Bhalla thought he knew what hell was. When Shagun had left him, when he had lost Adi, when he had found Ruhi in that orphanage, when he had almost lost Ishita. But being the bitch that life was, it reminded him that it had a lot more in store for him. 

This... This was hell. Watching his son break down at the betrayal of his mother, the only parent figure he had for the majority of his life, the only person he considered close to himself. Tears streamed from his face and he hugged his son tight. 

Ishita kneeled beside her son and caressed his back which shook with the force of his sobs. Her teary eyes met Raman's, mirroring their distress. This was the bane of being a parent. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't take away their child's suffering. And so, they were forced to watch their son in pain, doing whatever they could to calm him down.

Raman raised his head momentarily and found the woman who was the cause of his son's heartbreak. Shagun stood in shock, her jaw on the floor, unable to process what had transpired. When she stepped forward to approach her son, Raman saw red. He held his palm out and stopped her, his eyes raining fire.

"If you have any decency, any humanity left in you, then leave. Right now." His low but deadly voice sent chills down Shagun's spine and her blood turned to ice.

Ishita wiped her tears furiously. She was done. Ruhi, Adi, Raman... Her lifelines had been so hurt because of this woman, and she was done being gracious. Enough was enough. 

"Raman, aap Adi ko lekar andar jaayiye," she whispered. "I'll deal with her."

With much difficulty, Raman maneuvered his son into his room, as Ishita turned to Shagun. Her face contorted with rage and she glowered at her. 

"Isheeta-"

Before she could say anything in her defense, Ishita grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of their house, throwing her out the front door. 

"Aaj ke baad tum mere aur mere parivaar ke aas paas bhi mat dikhna. Warna tumhaare liye accha nahi hoga," she threatened. 

"Aisa mat karo, Isheeta," Shagun pleaded. "Main... Main Adi ki maa-"

"Nahi ho," Ishita finished, voice steady with conviction. 

"Of course..." Shagun seethed. "Mere bacchon pe toh tumne apna haq jamaa liya hai na!"

Ishita barely held in a laugh. "Tumhaare bacche? Ruhi tumhe jaanti tak nahi. Adi ko sharam aati hai yeh soch kar ki usne tumhaare kok se janam liya hai. Woh tumhaare bacche nahi hai. Tum kabhi maa bani hi nahi. Pyaar, mamtaa jaise shabd toh tumhe aate hi nahi."

"Kyun? Kyunki main tumhaari tarah mahaan nahi hoon isiliye? Just because maine apni life mein paiso ko importance di isiliye?" Shagun crossed her arms against her chest. 

"Paiso ke peeche bhaagne mein koi buraayi nahi hai, Shagun. Main aur Raman bhi paiso ke liye kaam karte hai. Lekin farak yeh hai, ki hum apne khud ke paise kamaate hai. Aur tumne aaj tak sirf dusro ke paise kharch kiye hai. Hum apne paise parivaar aur bachhon ke liye kamaate hai, aur tum paiso sirf apne liye kharch karti ho."

"Abhi yeh lecture dena bandh karo. Mujhe bas apne bete se baat karni hai." She stepped forward to reenter the house, but this time, Ishita was in her way.

"I already told you, agar mere parivaar ke aas paas bhi dikhayi di, toh accha nahi hoga!"

"Kya karlogi tum?"

"I'll get a restraining order against you. And I mean it, Shagun. Zero visitation rights. If we find you anywhere near our children, we'll send you to jail."

The threat of another night in jail silenced her for good. 

"Just. Leave. Now." Ishita enunciated each word, pouring her righteous anger into her booming voice, as she pointed towards the staircase. 

Shagun went numb. The door slammed in her face and she jumped in her skin. Everyone had disowned her. It was all over.

Night Moon Bar & Club – 7 pm

Shagun washed down one martini after another, alcohol burning her throat and tears scorching her face. She had hit rock bottom, and she saw no way out. Her entire life flashed before her eyes, as she pondered exactly how she ended up here.

She and her brother had grown up with a single mother – Poornima Prakash – in a tiny low-income tenement of the inner city. Their mother had worked as a secretary, barely earning enough money for them to scrape by. Their circumstances had never bothered Mihir. He had always managed to satisfy himself with what they had, keeping his head down and focusing on his studies. Consequently, he had grown up to live in Raman's shadow, keeping his head down and focusing on his career.

But Shagun's ambition ran far and wide, even as a kid. She was never satisfied. The bland upma in her lunch box paled in comparison to the luscious pasta in her classmate's lunch. Her second-hand bicycle lost its color when it stood next to their neighbor's shining new bike. She wanted more. Her own limelight.

She discovered said limelight as a teenager, when her features sharpened and her femininity flourished. Boys flocked to her with flowers and chocolates, and for the first time in her life, she left desired and coveted. She had inherited her mother's beauty, and she quickly learned how to use her sexuality in her own favor. 

While she thrived as a teenager, her mother shriveled under the burden of being the sole breadwinner for the family. Her stress increased at work, and she took it out on her eldest daughter. 

"Why can't you do anything right?!" Poornima had yelled one night, when Shagun had accidentally served her mother a burnt roti. That night, her mother had gone to sleep without dinner, and Shagun had slept with a heart full of guilt. 

Nights like those were infrequent. But even so, Shagun internalized the frustration her mother rained on her. 

"Completely useless girl," her mother had muttered one night, throwing away her report card, when she scored a measly 68%. "Be more like your brother! Look at this! 93%!" she yelled, waving Mihir's report card in her face.

That was the first night Shagun had felt resentment instead of love for her brother. That was also the first night she had found her mother fidgeting with a bottle of Old Monk.

"Vodka Martini." Shagun ordered another drink and gulped a swig of vodka, as she recalled one particular evening. Her mother's boss had visited them to return some of her belongings she had forgotten at the office. And she had found them in the living room, his hand climbing up her arm, which her mother had uncomfortably shaken off. 

"Please sir, I've told you this before. I'm not interested," she had insisted. 

"I don't understand Poornima," her boss had replied. "Your husband hasn't been in the picture. And it's been three years since my wife died. We'd be perfect for each other. I have so much to give you. You and your kids could move into my bungalow. You'll never have to work another day."

Shagun's ears perked up and her eyes brightened at the idea.

"That's very generous of you, sir. And I... I'm very tempted to say yes. But..."

"But what?"

"I can't. What would people say of me? How would I show my face to the world? A mother of two running off with her boss..."

"Poornima, you need to think for yourself and your kids. Not for the outside world."

"It's not as easy as you think, sir. I just... I can't agree to your proposal."

"Very well. Then this is the last time I'll bring it up."

Poornima's boss had never showed again, much to Shagun's dismay. Their chance at a better life had shown up right in their house, and her idiotic mother had shoved it out the door. That night was Poornima and Shagun's first vicious fight, ending in shattered glass, dented plates, and broken hearts.

Their relationship saw their ups and downs, as Shagun progressed through high school. More and more boys threw themselves at her, and she loved the attention. She learned how to pull their strings and make them dance to her tunes. She dressed for the male gaze and carried herself with confidence. Therefore, it didn't come as a surprise when a modeling agency recruited her in the first year of her college. She had fought with her mother and left for Mumbai within a week. 

But the cutthroat world of modeling was not made for her. She returned to Delhi within a month, much to her mother's dismay. Scared for her daughter's future, Poornima had hurriedly fixed her marriage to Raman Bhalla. Shagun had her doubts, but her mother convinced her otherwise.

"Beta, he earns more in a month than I earn in a year. Woh tumhe palko pe bitha kar rakhega," she had urged. "Please, rishte ke liye haan kar do na?"

It was the prospect of increased income that finally convinced her. They were married soon after, and she felt happier than ever before. Raman doted on her, took the charge of Mihir's education, and even encouraged her mother to publish her recipes in a cookbook. Shortly after, Shagun gave birth to a son, making her the apple of everyone's eye.

But that didn't last for long. For when her father-in-law lost his job, her goody two-shoes husband took on the mantle of sole breadwinner, causing her own pocket money to dwindle. Her marriage turned uglier and uglier, as she felt her childhood struggle come to life again.

It wasn't until her husband was promoted to the inner circle of his office that her troubles dissipated. They began receiving invitations to glamorous parties and she finally had the money for all her desires. But the cherry on top was when she caught the attention of the boss, Ashok Khanna.

She didn't even realize when his flirtatious comments and innocent gifts seeped into her heart, stoking the fire of passion and genuine feelings. She still remembered the first time she had sneaked out to meet Ashok. 

Make sure nobody sees you leave

Hood over your head, keep your eyes down

Tell your friends you're out for a run

You'll be flushed when you return

She had left the Bhalla house under the guise of grocery shopping and met Ashok at a five-star restaurant. The dishes he had ordered were beyond anything she had ever tasted. The gifts he had showered her with were beyond anything she had ever dreamed of. It was all like a drug, and she had had her first hit.

Take the road less traveled by

Tell yourself you can always stop

What started in beautiful rooms

Ends with meetings in parking lots

Over the next few months, their meetings increased in frequency and her excuses turned more and more creative. What started with dates at restaraunts and cafes quickly progressed to clandestine meetings in hotel rooms. It was wrong. She knew very well; it was so so wrong. But it was oh so good. 

She lived a double life, her lies building on themselves, weighing down on her. She told herself she could stop it at any time. It was all in her control. But that was not true. She tried and tried... but she couldn't stop. It was all like a drug, and she was addicted.

And that's the thing about illicit affairs

And clandestine meetings and longing stares

It's born from just one single glance

But it dies, and it dies, and it dies

A million little times

"Come stay with me, baby," Ashok had told her once after a secret afternoon delight. "I hate having to leave you like this."

"But Ashok... What about my son?" she had asked.

"Bring him with you. Leave your husband. I know you don't love him. You love me, don't you?"

Shagun nodded.

"Then what's the issue? Say yes darling."

Shagun hesitated. She was so tempted to leave... but it wouldn't be right. After all, her mother had the same option and she chose the noble path. 

And what did that bring her? A lifetime of misery and loneliness. She wouldn't make the same mistake. She had to think of herself and her son. She had to secure their future, so Adi would never have to go through what she did. The rest of the world could go to hell.

"Yes," she conceded.

Take the words for what they are

A dwindling, mercurial high

A drug that only worked

The first few hundred times

Her life changed in a matter of weeks as she served her husband divorce papers and left with her son in tow. Life went up and down, winding through rocky roads, as she went through Adi's custody trial, Ruhi's birth, and much more. But through all of it, she had Ashok and his money. That's all she needed.

But soon enough, her rose-tinted glasses had been mercilessly pulled off. She found out Ashok's true nature when he refused to marry her, choosing to pay attention to other women instead of her. But he made sure to keep her satisfied with jewelry and clothes and luxuries, so she couldn't complain.

And that's the thing about illicit affairs

And clandestine meetings and stolen stares

They show their truth one single time

But they lie, and they lie, and they lie

A million little times

Even so, her malaise churned in her gut. All she wanted was some avenue to express her discontent. Unknowingly, unseemingly, she walked in her mother's footsteps... alcohol. Her mother's preferred drink was rum. Her preferred drink was wine. 

It wasn't permanent, she told herself. It started off as a glass of wine after a fight with Ashok, a couple drinks with her girlfriends to abate her troubles. It ended with her waking up with a hangover every day.

And you wanna scream

Don't call me "kid"

Don't call me "baby"

Look at this godforsaken mess that you made me

You showed me colors

You know I can't see with anyone else

She didn't realize that she was repeating the cycle of abuse her mother (and possibly her grandmother) had started. Her frustration exploded in front of her defenseless son, the one person who couldn't fight back, the one person who loved her selflessly. 

Her heart twisted as she thought of her son. What had she done? She had lost every single person she had ever held dear. Her own brother had disowned her. Her ex-husband, who used to dote on her, paid her zero heed. And now... her own son felt disgusted at the sight of her. She wanted to scream. She wanted to drown herself until her lungs burned. 

What was her legacy? Despite chasing money all her life, she had not a single rupee in her name. Despite having men fawn over her all her life, she had no one by her side today. She had left the people she could rely on for a man like Ashok who had ruined her. She had ruined her life with her own hands, turning her into a godforsaken mess, an idiotic fool.

Don't call me "kid"

Don't call me "baby"

Look at this idiotic fool that you made me

You taught me a secret language

I can't speak with anyone else

And you know damn well

For you, I would ruin myself

A million little times

No... No... Her breath turned ragged and a sense of panic flooded her chest. She couldn't let this be her life. She let go of the martini glass and scrambled off the stool. There was one last person. One last person who had to help her. Especially when they were responsible for how she had turned out. 

Her mother had settled in Australia with the money she earned from her cookbook sales. That was the last place she could go now. She paid her tab and quickly left the bar. As she stumbled through the dark streets of Delhi, she counted the cash she had on hand. It was just less than 10,000 rupees. Just enough to catch a one-way flight to Australia.

"I need help mom. I'm coming home..." she whispered to the wind.

https://youtu.be/MLV2SJKWk4M   

Hi everyone! ❤️🤗

So this chapter ends Shagun's arc. What do you think? I've always thought that Shagun's character had lots of potential as an antagonist. Considering that she was given so much screen time on the show, I hoped her characterization would've been fleshed out better. I couldn't digest her sudden flips between evil black and swan white. I would've liked her as a grey character. Plus, Anita had the capability of playing a grey character very well.

I find it very interesting to think about how Shagun became the person she is today. Abuse doesn't appear in a vacuum. It's very possible that she was raised in circumstances that made her the way she is, causing her to met out similar treatment to her son. Did her mother inadvertently teach her such abusive tendencies? Or is she a narcissist at heart? Because Mihir grew up in the same house, and he turned out very different. 

Or did Poornima's upbringing differ for Mihir and Shagun? Did she treat them differently? Or did her tendencies affect them differently? The entire Poornima-Mihir-Shagun dynamic has a lot of analysis potential, in my opinion. 

Did the absence of a father affect Shagun and Mihir's growth? Is Shagun looking for affection from men which she never received from a father figure? Did Mihir latch onto Raman and come under his wing looking for a father figure? Who knows.

I hope you enjoyed this. I know it was quite Shagun-centric, but I believe it was necessary to properly end her journey. Rest assured, the happier, more domestic feels will return next chapter. With the next update, you'll laugh just as much as you've cried in the past two chapters (I hope). 

Stay happy and healthy! Love you all! ❤️❤️❤️

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice and interesting update please update next part soon 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 59

***Major Harry Potter spoilers towards the end of the chapter (hopefully for the last time)

Bhalla House – next day, Saturday, July 28th, 7 pm

"Adi bhaiya! Adi bhaiya!" Ruhi ran into her and Adi's shared bedroom looking for him. "Ishimaa sabko dinner ke liye bula rahi hai!" 

She saw her brother curled up on his bed with a book in his lap. 

"Bhaiya, dinner ke liye chaliye na!" She climbed onto the bed and snatched the book from her brother's lap. 

"Ruhi! Kya kar rahi ho? I'll lose my page!" Adi complained irritably. 

He grabbed his book again, placed a bookmark at the page he was reading, and closed it shut. "Tum jaao Ru, main baad mein aata hoon," he said.

Ruhi frowned. What was going on with her brother? He had been so sad for the past two days. She scooched forward and held his face in her hands, her tiny palms cupping his cheeks.

"Bhaiya, aap sad ho?" she asked innocently. 

Even though Adi shook his head in the negative, tears spilled from his eyes. 

Ruhi had no clue what was going on with him. All she knew was that she hated seeing him like this. Her little fingers traveled up his cheeks, and she gently wiped his tears. 

"Don't worry bhaiya. Sab kuch theek ho jaayega," she assured him. "Ishimaa kehti hai ki jab tak humaare paas family hai, tab tak hum life ke har problem se fight kar sakte hai. Toh aapko jo bhi problem haina, use hum sab milkar fight karenge."

A tremulous smile appeared on Adi's lips at his sister's innocence and sincerity.

"Hum sab aapse bahot pyaar karte hai. Main, papa, mumma... We all love you sooo much!" she exclaimed, wrapping her tiny arms around him. 

Adi's smile grew from ear to ear, as he returned the hug. He felt lighter than he had in days, and he was reminded of all the love he was surrounded by. A strange weight began lifting from his heart. Shagun's betrayal hurt. It really did... but the hurt finally began dissipating. 

A knock sounded at the door and they pulled apart, peering at the threshold of their bedroom. 

"Kya chal raha hai bhai behen ke beech?" Raman asked. "Wahan dinner table par Ishimaa aap dono ka intezaar kar rahi hai."

Ruhi climbed off the bed and looked up at her father. "Papa, Adi bhaiya thode sad lag rahe the. Isiliye maine unko huggy de di."

Raman smiled at his daughter and caressed her cheek. "Yeh aapne bahot accha kiya beta. Aap jaake khana shuru karo, main bhaiya ko lekar aata hoon."

"Okay papa!"

Ruhi flew out of the room, and Raman sat down next to his son. 

"Adi, I know how much you must be hurting. I was in your shoes once." He ruffled his son's hair lovingly. "But I promise, it will get better."

"How?" Adi asked. "How did it get better for you?"

"Well... Things got better for me when Ishita came into my life. She just... She breathed life back into me, I guess."

Adi smiled despite himself. He could never understand how someone could love someone else so much. 

"Ishita Aunty ke saath maine kitna galat kiya, papa..." he mused aloud.

"Aapne kuch galat nahi kiya, Adi!" Raman insisted. "Aap aisa kyun soch rahe ho?"

Adi hung his head low. Raman pulled his chin upwards and forced him to meet his eyes. 

"Adi, Ishita ko aapse koi shikaayat nahi hai, okay? Woh aapse bahot zyada pyaar karti hai," he said. 

Adi gulped. "Really?"

"Yes beta."

"But would she... would she ever accept me as a... as a son?" His voice quivered with uncertainty. 

Raman sighed and gazed compassionately at his son. "Beta, she already has accepted you as a son. You are just as much her baby as Ruhi is."

"B-But... I don't even call her my mom. Main toh unhe Aunty bulata hoon."

"Us baat se koi farak nahi padta, beta. You are her son. And nothing will change that, regardless of what you call her."

Adi's eyes cleared up and hope flickered amidst the darkness. 

"Beta... whenever you're ready, you'll figure out what to call her. It will come naturally. Don't worry about it. And even if you want to continue calling her 'aunty,' that's fine too. All right?" Raman said. 

Adi nodded. 

"Ab chalo dinner ke liye. Your aunty is an angel, but you don't want to face her when she's angry," Raman chuckled, eliciting a hearty laugh from his son. 

They walked out to the table, with the father's arm around his son's shoulders, smiles adorning their faces. Ishita saw them approach and was relieved to see Adi smiling after a long time. 

"Aayiye dono. Aaj dinner mein paav-bhaaji banayi hai," she said, serving two plates with steaming hot bhaaji. "Neelu, sab ke liye garam-garam paav sekna."

Everyone settled down around the table and gobbled up rich, spicy paav-bhaaji, as Neelu served hot, buttery dinner rolls off the griddle. 

Adi sneaked occasional glances at Ishita as she animatedly served everyone glasses of buttermilk. She was so loving, so giving... he didn't deserve it. 

"Aunty, papad hai?" he asked. 

"Haan, hai na," she replied sprightly. She was happy to see him returning to his normal self. "Main abhi kuch papad sek kar laa deti hoon."

She made to stand up, but Adi stopped her. "Nahin Aunty! Main le lunga!"

"Lekin Adi-"

"Don't worry. Main microwave mein papad sek lunga."

He shot up from his chair before Ishita could protest any further. He couldn't trouble her any more than he already had. 

He dashed to the pantry and retrieved a papad from the container. He set it in the microwave and set the timer to one minute, roasting the papad to a crunchy texture. His gaze traveled to his stepmother as the papad cooked in the microwave. 

His mind wandered back to the earlier conversation with his father.

Whenever you're ready, you'll figure out what to call her. It will come naturally.

What could he call her? 'Mom?' No... He called Shagun that. Using the same epithet for Ishita didn't sit right with him.

The microwave beeped as the timer went off. He pulled on the handle and retrieved the cooked papad before returning to his seat. 

Maybe he could call her 'mumma.' Ruhi used that name for her after all. Or maybe he could call her 'Ishimaa.' That was another name Ruhi used. But was it okay for him to steal that title? It seemed like he was intruding on the sacred mother-daughter bond. He broke off a piece of papad and crunched it. 

Another idea struck him. Shravu called his mother 'amma.' That was the Tamil word for mother, right? He could call Ishita 'amma.' As far as he knew, no one had used that word for her before. 

He continued chewing on his food, simultaneously chewing on the dilemma at hand.

Bhalla House – next day, Sunday, 10 am

"Isko kahan rakhu?" Romi asked, his face hidden behind a pile of clothes in his arms. 

"Yahin table par rakh do." Ishita pointed at the living room table as she stuffed the sofa cushions into new cushion covers. 

Romi dumped the pile of clothes onto the table and panted, running his fingers through his hair, out of breath.

"Bhabhi, itne saare kapdo ka kya karna hai?" he asked curiously. 

"Ghar ke saare puraane kapde donate karne hai, Romi. So I'm just going to go through them. Kahin kuch phata ho then I'll fix it before we donate it," she replied.

"Donate hi karne hai toh fix karne ki kya zaroorat?"

Ishita clicked her tongue, as she organized the sofa cushions. "Come on Romi... Donate kiye hue kapde toh zaroorat mand log pehnenge na? Unhe phate huye kapde thodi denge?"

"Ohhh... I see..."

Romi plopped down on the couch and browsed through his phone, as Ishita retrieved a box of needles and threads from a drawer in the TV console. 

"Bhabhi," Rinki arrived with her own pile of clothes. "Yeh saare mere puraane kapde hain." She dropped them onto the table and dusted off her hands.

"Thanks Rinki."

Ishita sat down and began surveying each article of clothing, folding and organizing them on the coffee table. Meanwhile, Rinki turned to return to her room, but her steps faltered as she craned her neck over Romi's phone. 

"Ab kaunsi nayi ladki phasaa rahe ho bhai?" she asked. 

Romi jumped in his skin, as he realized his sister was peeking in his phone. He hid the screen against his chest and glared at her. 

"Come on yaar!" Romi chided her. "How many times have I told you not to look at my phone?!"

"What can I do? I'm worried about whatever next girl you've got your sights on," Rinki shrugged. 

"Ek minute..." Romi stood up and pocketed his phone. "Tujhe kya lagta hai? Main ladkiyon ke saath koi zabardasti karta hoon? Yeh sahi hai... Bina baat ke ladko pe hi bill faadte hai sab..." he muttered.

Rinki sunk her hands on her hips. "Agar kabhi bill faadte bhi hai na, toh thik hi karte hai," she declared. 

Romi shook his head in disappointment. "Hum ladko ki toh koi value hi nahi hai. Tumhe kya pata, meri kitni girlfriends ne mera dil toda hai aaj tak..."

Ishita's hands stilled as she folded an old saree. "Ek minute janaab... Aapki girlfriends kab thi? Woh bhi ek se zyada? Mummyji ko pata hai is baare mein?" She glared at her brother-in-law. 

Romi bit his tongue at his folly. "Bhabhi... please mummy ko mat bataana. Aur papa ko toh bilkul nahi," he pleaded.

Ishita placed the folded saree on the table and chewed her lip. "Thik hai baba... Nahi bataaungi," she granted. 

Romi breathed a sigh of relief and slumped back against the couch. "Thank you bhabhi," he sighed. "Aur tu." He pointed at Rinki. "Don't you dare peep at my phone again."

Rinki stuck out her tongue at her brother, who threw a cushion at her in response. 

"Tsk tsk." Ishita clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Kya kar rahe ho tum log?! Mere cushions waapis rakho jagah par! Abhi abhi naye cover chadhaaye hai maine."

Rinki sheepishly picked up the cushion and placed it on the sofa, as Ishita shook her head. "Tum dono Adi-Ruhi se kam nahi ho," she muttered, folding one of Ruhi's old pants.

"Kaun Adi-Ruhi se kam nahi hai?" Raman entered from the front door, with his sweaty children in tow. 

"Aapke bhai-behen," Ishita answered.

Raman nodded. He couldn't argue with that. "Adi, Ruhi... Tum log baitho." He turned to his children. "Khelte khelte thak gaye honge. I'll get you guys some milkshakes."

Ruhi and Adi slumped down on the couch beside Romi and Rinki. Raman prepared a couple milkshakes in the kitchen, as Ishita continued folding and organizing the pile of clothes. 

"Ruhi, we're all out of strawberries," Raman said from the kitchen. "Main aapko bhi Adi bhaiya jaise chocolate milkshake de du?"

"Nahi, mujhe pink waali milkshake hi chahiye," she demanded. 

"Accha toh phir... cherry milkshake loge? Ya phir raspberry?"

"Woh kaise dikhta hai?"

"Idhar aao, dikhata hoon."

Ruhi ran to the kitchen to choose between cherries and raspberries. Meanwhile, Ishita surveyed an old pair of jeans and found a torn seam. She threaded a needle and began stitching up the tear. As she sewed, she pushed the needle through a particularly thick patch of fabric and ended up pricking her finger. 

"Ouch," she hissed. 

Every head turned towards her. But it was one particular reaction that had everyone's jaw on the floor. 

"ISHIMAA!" Adi screamed, running towards her. He sat down beside her and jerked her bleeding finger towards him, pressing on the wound. 

"Ishimaa, aap kitni careless ho?!" he chided her. "Lag gaya na aapko! Aapko pain ho raha hai kya?" 

The wind whistled in Ishita's ears and her eyes widened in pleasant shock. Had she heard him right? Did he really say what she thought he had? 

"Bolo na Ishimaa! Aapko pain ho raha hai?" Adi repeated. 

She couldn't care less about her pricked finger. Not when her heart was threatening to burst with joy. By then, Raman and Ruhi had gathered close, and Romi and Rinki watched intently.

"Kya... Kya bulaya tumne mujhe?" she asked tremulously. 

Adi gulped as he realized what he had said. It had come to him so naturally, without any conscious thought. "M-Maine... Maine aapko Ishimaa bola. Is that... okay?"

Emotion pooled in her eyes and she laughed lightly. "Okay matlab...? It's more than okay! Aaj toh mujhe mera beta mil gaya!"

She wrapped her arms around Adi and held him close, caressing his hair and raining kisses on his forehead. Adi clutched her tight and closed his eyes, reveling in his stepmother's – no, his mother's – love. 

"Kisi ko yaad bhi hai, main bhi hoon yahan par?" Ruhi squealed, eliciting laughs from all around. 

"Aapko koi kaise bhul sakta hai?" Ishita laughed, opening one arm for her daughter. 

Ruhi ran forward and ambushed her mother with a bear hug. Ishita tightened her arms around her children, kissing their foreheads and ruffling their hair, as they burrowed closer into her chest.

Raman sent a silent thanks to the gods above, as he discreetly opened the camera app on his phone, capturing the moment forever.

Bhalla House, Raman and Ishita's bedroom – a few days later, Thursday, August 2nd, 4:30 pm

"Raman?" Ishita whispered.

"Hmm..." Raman clicked the keys of his laptop keyboard.

"Suniye na?"

"Bolo..." His gaze remained focused on the screen.

"Meri taraf dekhiye toh sahi?"

"Tum bolo na, main sun raha hoon."

Ishita sighed and sunk her hands on her hips. Her husband was as still as a statue, his head unmoving, his eyes glued to his laptop. His fingers typed away on the keyboard as he drafted an email memo to his staff. He had arrived from his office half an hour ago and been stuck to his desk ever since, citing one last email he had to type up, giving zero attention to his wife.

But now Ishita's patience was wearing thin. Time for plan B.

She tiptoed behind her husband's chair and snaked her hands down his neck and chest, resting her chin on his head. 

"Raman," she breathed. "Pura din laptop par kaam kar rahe the. Ab biwi ko bhi thoda attention de do..."

Raman rolled his eyes. And they called Ruhi a drama queen.

Ishita tightened her arms around his torso and pressed a soft kiss against the shell of his ear. "Come on, Ravan kumar."

"Just a minute madrasan."

Ishita's lips traveled further down and she kissed him at the sensitive junction between his neck and shoulder. 

"Hit send Raman. Now," she ordered.

Raman sighed and bit his lower lip. Overcome by a trance, he skimmed his email one last time, pressed send, and shut his laptop. Ishita smiled at her victory. 

He grabbed his wife's wandering hands, wheeled his chair around, and stood up to face her. "Jhansi ki Rani... Alag alag tarah se mere dil par vaar karna seekh rahi ho tum..."

"Ab aap seedhe seedhe meri baat nahi sunoge toh yahin karna padega na?" she shurgged defensively.

Raman stepped forward, crowding her personal space. He hung his arms on her shoulders and interlocked his fingers behind her head. "Fine. You have my undivided attention now. Bolo."

"Next month is the Annual Dentistry Symposium. And Dr. Batra wants me to accompany him, so we can present our research together. Pichle hafte tak Adi ka case chal raha tha isiliye maine unhe koi jawaab nahi diya tha. Lekin ab woh phir se puch rahe hai." She fidgeted with the buttons of his shirt. 

"Do you want to go?" Raman raised his eyebrows. 

Ishita nodded. "I love science conferences and symposiums. They're very interesting."

"Thik hai toh phir. Bindaas jao."

Ishita's smile widened from ear to ear. "Yes! Thank you Raman!" 

She jumped forward and engulfed him in a tight hug. Raman returned the gesture with a low chuckle.

"You're very excited for this, huh?" he asked when they pulled apart.

"I am. Actually there's another reason too. This year the symposium is in Chennai!" she revealed. "I haven't been back there in over a year..."

Her mind wandered to her childhood city... its cafes, its beaches, its temples... Memories flashed in her mind, devoid of the heartbreak they used to be rife with. The gloom attached to her memories of Chennai had long vanished, and now, she felt only nostalgia.

Raman saw the light in her eyes, as she mentally traveled to her childhood. And an idea struck him. 

"Waise madrasan..." He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "...Mujhe bhi le chal na apne saath?"

"Aapko Chennai aana hai?"

"Haan, main bhi toh dekhu, tumhari jaisi bhayankar ladki kaise sheher mein badi hui thi?"

"Raman!" Ishita whined. 

"Mazaak kar raha hu," he chuckled. "But jokes apart, I really do want to come. Tumne mera sheher toh dekh liya, lekin maine tumhara sheher nahi dekha. Aur waise bhi... humaara honeymoon abhi bhi pending hai na? Toh ek teer se do shikaar ho jaayenge," he suggested. 

A smile flashed on her face at the idea, but she quickly hit it. Excited as she was, she still wanted to have a bit more fun with her Raavan before she agreed.

"Idea accha hai, lekin I'm not convinced," she drawled. 

"Accha? How should I convince you?" Raman roughly pulled her closer by the waist and smirked.

"Aap honeymoon ke baare mein kuch bol rahe the na?" Ishita locked her hands behind his neck.

"Jee haan... How about I show you a trailer of what I'm planning?" He winked at her. 

Ishita pulled him closer by the lapels of his shirt and kissed him. Lost in the feel of her lips, Raman stumbled forward, and they fell onto their bed, limbs intertwined. Her fingers tangled in his hair. His hands pulled at her saree pallu. 

Ding! Raman's phone chimed with a text notification. 

"Ignore it," Ishita ordered, fisting his shirt and biting his lower lip. 

He didn't need to be told twice. Obeying the siren call of his desire, Raman kissed his wife all over – her lips, cheeks, jaws, ears, neck – eliciting a string of moans and gasps. Ishita bent her knees and locked her ankles behind his legs. 

Beep! Ishita's phone joined in the commotion. 

She barely registered the sound however. Instead, she rolled them over until Raman's back hit the bedsheet, and she was straddling him.

Ding! Beep! Ding!

Ishita lowered herself on her husband and kissed him again. Raman's hands made their descent down her body. Lower... and lower... and lower...

Beep! Ding! Beep! Ding! Beep!

"Ugghh..." Ishita groaned in frustration. "What is going on?" 

She lifted her legs and and painfully forced herself to climb down to retrieve her phone from the dresser table. Raman dropped his head against a pillow and ran his palm down his frustrated face. Someone better be broken, bleeding, or on fire.

He leaned over the side of his bed and pick up his phone from the side table. Ishita scrolled through her own phone by the dresser, and they read the latest string of messages in their group chat.

Bala: Vandu, don't do this yaar. Listen to me at least.

Bala: Come on baby... Ghar chod ke jaane ki kya baat hai isme?

Mihir: Um... Jeeju? I think you meant to text Akka personally

Mihir: This is the group chat.

Bala: Shit.

Bala: Sorry guys... I'll text Vandu personally

Mihika: NO

Mihika: You can't possibly keep us hanging now!

Mihika: What happened????

Vandu: Your jeeju doesn't love me anymore! That's what happened!! 😡😡

Mihika: 😱😱😱

Mihir: What?!?!?! 😳

Bala: That's not true baby. But what do you expect me to do now? ☹️

Bala: I can't find eggless blueberry cheesecakes anywhere!

Vandu: I see how it is... You can't fulfill one simple craving of your pregnant wife??? 

Before they could even register the latest 'emergency' in their crazy family, the doorbell rang.

"Main dekhti hoon." Ishita set down her phone and headed to the door of their bedroom. 

"Ruko!" Raman scrambled off their bed and caught her by the wrist. "Kya dekthi hoon? Pehle apni shakal dekho."

Ishita glanced in the mirror and gasped. Her lipstick had smeared, her bindi was askew, and the pallu of her saree had come undone.

"Tum apna huliyaa theek karo. Darwaaza main dekhta hoon," Raman said. 

He dropped a hasty kiss on her cheek before heading for the front door, as Ishita proceeded to fix her look.

Raman opened the front door, and an eight-month pregnant Vandu waddled in, annoyance lined in her forehead. Raman stepped aside, knowing better than to get in her way. 

"Vandu? Kya ho gaya?" he asked, following her to the kitchen table. 

"Woh tum Bala se hi pucho!" Vandu huffed. She plopped down on a chair and crossed her arms across her chest.

Ishita appeared in the living room shortly, adjusting her saree. Her steps faltered when she saw an annoyed pregnant Vandu on their dining table.

"Kya hua?" she asked.

"Tumhari behen ghar chod ke humaare yahan aa gayi," Raman replied. "Tum use sambhaalo. Main group mein message kar deta hoon. Bala pareshaan ho raha hoga."

Ishita sat down beside her sister, trying her best to console her, but pregnancy cravings and hormones proved more powerful. It wasn't until Bala arrived ten minutes later that she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Vandu, itna bhi kya naaraaz hona baba?" he asked. 

"Maan jaao na Vandu," Raman joined in. "Iski haalat toh dekho yaar." He gestured towards the lines of stress in Bala's face.

"Kya Raman... Aapko jeeju pe daya aa rahi hai?" Ishita asked. "Aur akka ka kya? Pregnancy ki wajah se unki kya haalat ho rahi hai woh nahi dikhta aapko?"

"Lekin isme Bala ki kya galati?"

"Toh aur kiski galati hai?"

Raman opened his mouth to argue, but he found no logical argument. Technically it was Bala's doing.

"Baby, just listen to me," Bala said. "I can't find eggless blueberry cheesecakes anywhere. The bakery that used to sell those cheesecakes is closed now. What can I do in that case?"

"Vandu, tum strawberry cheesecake khaaogi?" Raman asked. "Ya phir caramel cheesecake? Meri pehchaan mein ek café hai, yeh sab kuch mil jaayega wahan!"

"Blueberry cheesecake milega?" she pouted. "Woh bhi eggless?"

"Ab woh toh mushkil hai..."

"Dekha Ishu! Meri ek innocent wish yeh log puri nahi kar rahe!" Vandu complained. 

Bala slapped his forehead in defeat and Raman shook his head. Ishita rubbed her sister's arm in comfort, not knowing what to say. Hormones didn't speak the language of logic.

When all hope seemed lost, the front door creaked open and their savior flew in. 

"Blueberry cheesecake is here!" Mihir exclaimed. "I got you, Vandy akka!"

He rushed to the table and deposited a large slice of creamy, tangy blueberry cheesecake in front of his sister-in-law. Mihika followed close behind.

"Oh my god! Thank you Mihir!" A teary-eyed Vandu hugged her brother-in-law, and Mihika struggled to hold back a laugh. She was so adorable. 

Ishita handed Vandu a fork, and they all breathed a collective sigh of relief when she took the first bite.

"Baap re... Tumne toh sab ko kaam par laga diya Vandu," Raman sighed. 

"Seriously akka," Mihika added. "Ek cheesecake ke liye itna hungama?!"

"Ab akka ko sunaane ki zaroorat nahi hai!" Ishita said sternly, not wanting to upset her sister further.

"Waise tum dono ko yeh cheesecake mila kahan se?" Bala asked. "Maine almost pure sheher mein dhunda hoga."

"Uske peeche bhi bahot interesting story hai jeeju. So Mihir and I were at this new millenial café after work, okay? Their speciality is that everything is vegan. We literally just arrived there when our group chat blew up," Mihika explained. "Being the darling that my husband is, he said, 'Miku, why don't we help akka and jeeju out?' I'm like, 'Fine. Why not?' Thankfully, there was one last piece of blueberry cheesecake left on the counter. Jise hum log bhaag kar yahan le aaye." Mihika turned to glare at Vandu. "Aap ki wajah se meri aur Mihir ki date bhi adhuri reh gayi! Romance ke dushman..."

"Idhar bhi yahin haal hai Mihika," Raman chimed in. "De taali!"

Mihika and Raman exchanged a high-five, much to Mihir and Ishita's dismay. But Vandu paid them no heed. She had her precious cheesecake to focus on.

"Jaane de na Miku," Mihir urged. "Hum log kabhi aur chale jaayenge."

"Lekin aaj ka din toh gaya na? Humaari anniversary thodi dubara aayegi?!" she retorted. 

"Kis baat ki anniversary?" Raman asked. "Tumhari shaadi ko toh teen mahine bhi nahi huye."

Mihir hid his face behind his palms, silently cursing his wife, and Mihika's mouth formed an 'o' as she realized her folly. 

"K-Kuch nahi... kuch nahi jeeju," she said hastily.

"What 'kuch nahi?'" Bala retored. "You can't keep us hanging like this," he said, echoing the words Mihika had used for him on their group chat. 

"Um... Woh... Pichle saal, isi din... Maine aur Mihir ne ek dusre ko pehli baar... 'I love you' kaha tha," she confessed. 

Hoots and whistles erupted around them. Mihika flashed a bashful grin, while Mihir shook his head in embarrasment. 

"Ishu, tujhe cake taste karna hai?" Vandu asked, once the commotion died down. 

Ishita nodded and opened her mouth, as her sister fed her a bite of cheesecake. 

"Mujhe bhi do na ek bite?" Mihika asked. 

"Jaa tu! Tujhe toh ek niwaala nahin dungi!" Vandu exclaimed. "Meri wajah se toh tujhe bahot problem haina?! Tujhse accha toh mera Mihir hai." She scooped a bite of cheesecake onto her fork and held it towards Mihir. "Yeh le Mihir, tu khaa."

Vandu smirked at her sister, as Mihir ate the cake, and Mihika glared at them, shocked by the treachery. 

"Kya zamaana aa gaya hai, nahin Mihika?" Raman asked.

"Seriously jeeju," she agreed. "Meri hi pasand ke café ka cake hai, aur mujhe hi khaane ko nahin mil raha."

Their banter continued for a few more minutes as Vandu savored her cake until there was one bite left. 

"Vandu, yeh last bite main le sakta hoon?" Bala asked. "I'm curious to know ki vegan cheesecake hota kaisa hai."

Vandu glared at her husband, irrational hormonal anger ruling her otherwise mature brain. Instead of giving him the last bite, she deemed someone else worthy of the prize. 

"Adi!" she called to her nephew who had just appeared in the living room. "Idhar aao beta."

"Yes periamma?"

"Aapko yeh cheesecake taste karna hai?" 

"Sure," he shrugged, as he walked over. 

Vandu fed him the last bite and Bala frowned.

"Um... By the way... Mujhe mere socks nahi mil rahe Ishimaa," Adi said, chewing on the moist cake.

"They must be in the laundry room. Let me check."

Ishita stood up from her chair but Adi forced her back down. 

"No Ishimaa! Aap tension mat lo, main dhund lunga." He ran into the laundry room before Ishita could protest further. He didn't want to give her any trouble.

"Bhabhi, did I hear him right?" Mihir asked. "Adi ne aapko 'Ishimaa' bola?"

Ishita nodded, making no effort to hide her smile. 

"He must be doing okay then, right?" Bala asked. 

This time, she couldn't nod with the same enthusiasm. "Aisa lagta toh hai. But I'm not convinced. He still has questions which we can't answer. He has a therapy appointment in an hour. Hopefully his therapist can help."

"I've tried talking to him, sharing my experience when Shagun betrayed me," Raman added. "But it's not the same thing. She betrayed me as a wife, something I'm now thankful for since I met Ishita. But for him... Use toh uski sagi maa ne dhokha diya hai."

Ishita pondered on her son's dilemma. Suddenly, an idea formed in her head. 

"Mihir, can you try talking to him?" she suggested.

"Me?"

"Yeah, I mean... You must have had a similar experience, right? Being Shagun's brother? It's not the same thing as a mother leaving her son but it's close enough. You were still her flesh and blood." 

Mihir's eyebrows scrunched up as he contemplated his bhabhi's suggestion.

"But only if you're comfortable," Ishita quickly added, noticing his hesitation. "If you don't want to-"

"No bhabhi, it's nothing like that. Main bas soch raha tha ki main baat karunga kaise. Aap chinta mat kijiye. I'll talk to him. Why don't I drive him to his appointment today? We can talk on the way."

"I think that works. What do you think, Raman?"

"That's fine with me. Tujhe pata hai clinic kahan hai?" Raman asked. 

"I'll figure it out bhai. Aap bas mujhe address message kar dijiye."

"Yeah sure."

Ishita and Raman exchanged a meaningful glance across the table. As a parent, there was no greater helplessness than being unable to alleviate their child's pain. The least they could do was give Adi the necessary tools and guidance so he could find his own way out.

Mihir's car, Somewhere on the roads of Delhi – 5 pm

Mihir sped his car down the highway as he sat in awkward silence with his nephew. They had exhausted all topics for small talk, and they were now crowded by the elephant in the room (or car rather). How was he going to breach such an uncomfortable topic? 

"Adi, how are you doing?" Mihir asked. "Like... really?"

Adi took a deep breath. He knew exactly what his uncle was referring to. 

"I don't know," he answered truthfully. "I just... I can't understand why mom would do such a thing. Papa unse kitna pyaar karte the. Kitni happy family thi humaari. So why did she do all this?"

Mihir sighed. These were the exact same questions he had been plagued with after Raman and Shagun's divorce, causing his relationship with his sister to turn bitter. But he couldn't let his nephew harbor the same bitterness in his heart.

"Adi... The thing is that... Shagun is just built differently, I guess," he began. "Her priorities have always been different, even as a kid. Being a mother and homemaker was never on her radar. She's always wanted money and fame and social status. And there's nothing wrong with that. She just... She didn't choose the right path to get there."

He maneuvered the car into a side street while keeping a cautious eye on Adi's expressions.

"Don't take it out on yourself, okay beta?" he added. "None of this is your fault."

Mihir pulled the car into Rashid Psychiatry clinic's parking lot, shifting the gear from drive to park. 

"Thanks mama." Adi unbuckled his seatbelt and left the car. 

Mihir could only hope his words had somehow helped his nephew.

Rashid Psychiatry – 5:35 pm

Adi bounced his knee and craned his neck towards the door. He had been waiting in Dr. Zoya Rashid's office for ten minutes, eyes trained on the door. As impatient as he was, he was surprised he hadn't willed the door open.

These four walls of his therapist's office had turned into his safe haven. Despite his reluctance to open up at the beginning, he had ended up working through all his fears and doubts and confusion in this place. And now he was more than eager to voice every last question in his mind.

After an excruating wait of three more minutes, Dr. Rashid walked in. 

"Finally!" Adi groaned, straightening his spine. 

"Well somone's sprightly today," Zoya commented, as she settled down on the opposite couch with her laptop. "Looks like we have a lot to talk about."

No sooner had she opened Adi's file on her laptop did he unload all his questions on her. 

"I don't get it!" he huffed. "Why would she do this? Why couldn't she just be a normal mother?"

Zoya leaned back on the couch and tapped a pencil against her chin. 

"Adi, it's interesting that you say 'normal mother.' You'd be surprised how hard normal parenting can be," she said. 

"What do you mean?"

"Being a parent is a difficult job, beta. And not everyone gets it right. Everyone makes mistakes, but sometimes, some parents make very big mistakes which unforunately cost their kids. Your mom made some mistakes too."

Adi scrunched his brows in irritation and looked away. What Shagun did wasn't a mistake. No amount of consolation was enough for what she did.

Zoya chewed her lip, thinking of a way to simplify her thoughts for Adi. 

"All right Adi. Do you remember our first conversation?" she began. "We talked about how love is magic. In fact, it's even more powerful than magic, right?"

Adi nodded.

"Well, love comes in many forms. It can be selfless or selfish. It can be warm and comfortable or toxic and obsessive. There's different kinds of love, like the kind of love you share with family, the kind you share with friends, the love between a couple. And there's no one way to love someone. I'll give you an example from your favorite book."

Adi perked up at the prospect of discussing Harry Potter.

"Everyone knows about Lily Potter's love. She sacrificed her life to protect Harry. It was the epitome of a mother's love. One can say that she made Harry who he is, right?"

Adi nodded.

"But there's another mother who also made her son who she is."

"Who?"

"Narcissa. She's the one who made Draco who he is."

Adi frowned at the mention of the Slytherin bully. "She turned him into a bully, doc. What's good about that?"

"You have a point beta. Narcissa and Lucius weren't the best parents. But I think they did love Draco as best they could."

"How do you mean?"

"Do you remember the final battle at Hogwarts? When Voldemort kills Harry? He asked Narcissa to check if he was alive or dead. She could've easily told him the truth and gotten Harry killed for real. But all she cared about was getting back to the castle to find Draco. It was her love for her son that gave her the strength to defy the Dark Lord. And it was that same love that saved Harry's life. He was saved by a mother's love not once, but twice."

"Lily and Narcissa were both mothers who loved their children," Zoya continued. "But they showed it differently, and their children turned out to be very different because of it. In the same way, Ishita and Shagun both love you. But they show it differently. Shagun hasn't been a good mother to you. I can't deny that. But I think she does love you. In her own twisted way. It's just the way she is, I suppose. And none of that is on you."

Adi gulped. That made sense. His questions were dying out. 

"I guess that makes sense. Mihir mama said something like that too. I'm just lucky that Ishimaa accepted me as a son then." He laughed without humor.

Zoya was glad to hear him address his stepmother as his mother. But she sensed something heavy behind his statement. Something more than simple gratitude. Something akin to debt.

"How has it been with your Ishimaa? She must be pampering you a lot." Zoya broached another subject.

"Yeah... But I try not to burden her with all that. She's already done so much," Adi murmured. "I don't think I can ever repay her."

Realization dawned in the therapist's eyes. It was just as she had expected. Adi felt indebted to Ishita for her motherly love.

"Adi, you have two younger siblings right?" Zoya asked, completely switching gears.

He blinked at the sudden turn in their conversation. "Yeah... Three actually. Ruhi, Shravu, and Ananya."

"Can you describe some things you've done for them?"

"Um... I taught Shravu how to add on his fingers... Oh, and I usually try to let Ruhi have the remote for the TV. She gets cranky if she doesn't watch her precious barbie movies. And Ananya loves laddoos. So I always put an extra one in her plate when she comes over with bua."

"That's nice. And how are they going to repay you for that?"

Adi was aghast at the question. 

"Why would they ever have to repay me?! I did those things because I love them!"

"Exactly beta. Your Ishimaa loves you too. That's why she does things for you. You never have to repay her for it."

Adi gulped and his mouth went dry.

Dr. Zoya ended the therapy session with one last profound statement. 

"Adi, you can allow yourself to be loved without terms and conditions. You deserve it."

Bhalla House – 7:30 pm

The front door flew open and Adi hopped in with Raman at his heels. His spirits had been high ever since his father had picked him up from the psychiatry clinic. 

The sizzle of oil and fragrance of spices wafted from the kitchen and greeted them. By the stove, Ishita scraped a wooden spoon against a non-stick wok, mixing noodles and veggies. Adi skipped forward and hugged his mother by the waist. 

"Ishimaa, kya bana rahi ho?" he asked. 

"Aap ki behen ki farmaish pe Chinese khana ban raha hai," she answered, wrapping her free arm around his shoulder and keeping an eye on the noodles.

Adi frowned and looked up at her. "Aaj dinner mein dosa nahi ban sakta? Mujhe kab se man tha."

Ishita smiled and met Raman's eyes, pleasant surprise etched on their faces. Adi was back to his confident, chirpy, childish self.

"Aap ko dosa khaana hai?" Ishita asked. 

Adi nodded.

"Thik hai. Toh ek kaam karte hai. Main chutney bana deti hoon aur Amma ke wahan se dosa batter lekar aati hoon. Chinese menu hai, toh uske saath Schezwan aur spring dosa thik rahega. How does that sound? This way Ruhi can have her Chinese food and you can have your dosa."

"I like it, Ishimaa."

"Lekin sambhaar itni jaldi nahi banega. Are you okay with just dosa and chutney?"

"I'm more than okay. Waise bhi, aap sambhaar mein humesha drumsticks daalti ho. Mujhe nahin pasand."

"Kisi ko bhi nahi pasand, beta," Raman chimed in. 

Ishita gasped. "Badmaash!" She twisted her son's ear lightly, eliciting laughs from all around. 

As the laughter died down, Ishita grinded tomatoes and coconut pieces for chutney while Raman chopped up capsicums and green onions for the dosa filling. Adi gazed at the domestic scene, laughing at more than one of his parents' tiffs. 

He was surrounded by more love than he could measure. A voice from his heart told him he'd be absolutely fine.