Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Part 46

I just knew you would not let me down - you fulfilled all our dreams, absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!🤗⭐️👏🥳

Every sentence was full of emotion - full of love in Raman and Ishita!!!

This is exactly how Mani should have been portrayed on the show!!!

I absolutely loved what you said the reason was for Ishita's flinching - even I though it was because she was scared - but wow what a beautiful surprise!!

You tackled the whole Mani track just wonderfully - Raman's emotions were described so superbly!!!

You are actually making Raman and Ishita talk, communicate with each other and not hide everything - this is ideally how a married couple should behave!!!

I am enjoying every minute of these update and I am so looking forward to Ishita's thoughts and of course the big confession!!!❤️❤️

Please please please update very very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤗😳

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Oh no I completely forgot to mention the kiss - oooooohhhhhh wow it was the icing on the cake!!!!!!☺️☺️☺️

GBSC thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Wow.Lovely updates .

Is this the end of mani track ?

Well,Raman’s supporters would have hated this track .N Ishu’s chr was definitely butchered .

But in defense of mani’s chr ,I would say that Mani is an unmarried man n it appears as though he has no idea about how a marriage works .Nor does he understand marital love in a big family in India .

Too bad ishu never mentioned about mani’s marital status to him .Nor did. Raman .This had not been an issue for them nor were they indecent enough to talk about it .But I feel that ishu,being a childhood friend of his ,should talk about it to him .Instead of simply getting angry at him for his stupid behaviour .Raman too seemed to overreact by giving importance to mani’s words as mani’s behaviour appeared intruding n pretty much crappy .

Based on the show,Raman’s reaction being partly in response to mani’s business status would have been more appropriate 

This is something that has not been discussed by the watchers of this show .

Mani was in a similar situation as Raman was .Two kids .No wife .A caring mom needed .A loving ,beautiful .n dutiful wife .Maybe it was more than friendship .Manj was jealous of Raman .Mani was a bit late in meeting ishu .Mani was deliberately creating trouble in ishu’s life .An important reason why everyone hated Mani .Raman’s insecurity in the show was created by ishu’s close to embarrassing behaviour with her childhood friend .She did. this because of what Raman did. with shagun in the accident track .
One point in Raman’s defense .Appa,Subbu Bala n for that matter even Romi n Bhallaji are soft natured chrs .While Raman isn’t in the show .So his behaviour might appear barbaric for an outsider .But a wife knows best .I think Seeing Mani as a foreign return too would have made amma n the iyers in general to overly praise Mani in the bhalla family’s presence as the bhallas were financially superior to the iyers .They were showing off their friendship .

Thankfully ,that track ended on a good note .Now coming to your story.I feel that you have the capacity to elaborate on this track .But are avoiding backlash .I feel that ishu is being painted as a saint here .Raman ‘s behaviour is not justified enough .

Ishra’s convo is always a welcome in your story .

Ishra seem to be in love already .Hence this insecurity through mani over a woman appears unnecessary .The accident track showed a possibility of a betrayal by Raman .Ishra overcame it .Hence their misunderstanding was a little acceptable .

I guess their love grows stronger with challenges .I think you can up your villains in your story .’Shagun seems to have lost her power .Adi being civil makes me wonder .Are your finishing this story soon .With your capacity ,this story can be dealt beautifully .Ruhi’s maturity amazes me.One more reason for Raman’s supposed insecurity .What if he loses this shangrila..I totally loved that weekend stay at the lakeside. .Pl give more like that .Adi too can do more than play football .They can meet at the iyers .Adi in the show did like them n the Tamilian food .

Pl update soon .

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: GBSC

Is this the end of mani track ?

Yes. This is the end of the Mani track. I might have him reappear for one more small appearance, but I'm not sure about that yet. 

Thankfully ,that track ended on a good note .Now coming to your story.I feel that you have the capacity to elaborate on this track .But are avoiding backlash .I feel that ishu is being painted as a saint here .Raman ‘s behaviour is not justified enough .

Ishra’s convo is always a welcome in your story .

Ishra seem to be in love already .Hence this insecurity through mani over a woman appears unnecessary .The accident track showed a possibility of a betrayal by Raman .Ishra overcame it .Hence their misunderstanding was a little acceptable .

You are right in a way. I am trying to avoid backlash. The fandom hates the Mani character and I'm scared to elaborate on his track. I might have him reappear once to elaborate on his changed dynamics with IshRa though. I'm not sure.

Yes, IshRa are in love already, but before Mani introduced this bump in their lives, they didn't know that the other person loved them too. I think Mani's character served the purpose to finally get them to talk about their feelings and for Raman to realize that Ishita loved him too. 

Also, coming to your comment that Ishu is being painted as a saint. I have much more content planned to discover Ishu's human side and her mistakes & insecurities. Stay tuned.

I guess their love grows stronger with challenges .I think you can up your villains in your story .’Shagun seems to have lost her power .Adi being civil makes me wonder .Are your finishing this story soon .With your capacity ,this story can be dealt beautifully .Ruhi’s maturity amazes me.One more reason for Raman’s supposed insecurity .What if he loses this shangrila..I totally loved that weekend stay at the lakeside. .Pl give more like that .Adi too can do more than play football .They can meet at the iyers .Adi in the show did like them n the Tamilian food .

Pl update soon .

The story is definitely not finishing soon. Shagun will make a reppearance soon and her power will be upped. I just don't want to give the villains too much power like they had in the show. But she is going to come up again and try to create trouble in IshRa's life. 

Lots of scenes of Adi are coming up too. His entire assimilation into the IshRaRu unit is yet to be shown. 

I have much more content planned, so the story is definitely not ending soon.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 47

Bhalla House - three days later, Friday April 11, 5 pm

“Okay Ruhi, now how do you spell ‘white’?” Ishita asked.

“W-H-I-T-E. White,” Ruhi recited.

“Good. What about ‘bring’?”

“B-R-I-N-G. Bring.”

“Plane.” Ishita continued quizzing Ruhi’s spelling.

“P-L-A-N-E. Plane.”

“Funny.”

“F-U-N-Y. No wait! F-U-N-N-Y. Funny.” Ruhi corrected her error. “Ishimaa, ab main khelne jaau?” she pleaded. 

“No baby. Next week aapke exams haina? Thodi aur padhai karni padegi.”

Ruhi frowned even as her mother continued with her spelling bee. They were seated on the couch of her parents’ bedroom, Ruhi situated in her mother’s lap as she was drilled on spelling words, science questions, and grammar rules. 

“Okay, now one last bonus word. Can you spell ‘because’?” Ishita asked.

“Um… B-E-C-U- No wait… B-E-C-A-U-S-E. Because,” Ruhi replied.

“Wow, great job baby. Aap ne to bonus word bhi sahi spell kiya.”

“To ab main khelne jaau? Pleeeease?” Ruhi pouted her lips and made a pleading face at her mother. “Society ke saare kids niche khel rahe hai.”

Ishita sighed. “Okay beta. Jaao. Padhai hum kal karenge.”

Ruhi leapt off her mother’s lap and dashed out of the house rushing downstairs to join her fellow kids in play, as her mother watched her from the bedroom’s balcony. Once Ishita was assured that Ruhi had reached the compound safely, she sat down on the sofa to put away Ruhi’s books and her other school supplies in her backpack. 

As she was focused on zipping the compartments of Ruhi’s backpack shut, she didn’t notice her husband joining her on the couch until she felt the sofa dip with his weight. He dropped his laptop bag onto the table in front of him and leaned back, loosening his tie and groaning in exhaustion. 

“Aa gaye aap office se? Kaisa raha din?” Ishita asked, as she slid Ruhi’s closed backpack beside Raman’s laptop bag.

“Thik hi tha. Ab yeh Tokyo ka project shuru ho gaya hai to kaam waapis badh gaya hai.” He rubbed his eyes together and leaned forward to face his wife. It was only then that he noticed the stiffness in her posture and the nervous bounce of her knee. “Tumhe kya hua? Kisi baat ka tension?”

Ishita turned her head and faced her husband. “Tension kaise nahi hai? Aap bhool gaye? Next week Ruhi ki exams shuru ho rahi hai!”

“Main kuch nahi bhoola. Lekin shaayad tum bhul gayi.”

“Kya bhul gayi main?”

“Yahin, ki maine kal raat ko Ruhi ka practice test liya tha aur usne 90% se zyada jawaab sahi diye the. She’s ready for next week. Just relax.”

“I know, I know… Abhi bhi mere saath practice karte waqt saare jawaab sahi diye the usne. Phir bhi… thodi si tension to rahegi na?” Ishita leaned forward, her knee bouncing with nervous energy. Her hair clip came loose and several strands of her hair slipped out and wisped around her face.

“Uski board exam nahi hai madrasan, jo itni tension le rahi hai.” Raman lifted his hand to tuck the stray strands of hair behind her ear. “She’ll be fine. Don’t worry about her.”

Even as Ishita’s taut body relaxed from her husband’s touch, her knee continued bouncing. Raman caressed her cheek languorously and lowered his hand to rest on her thigh. The warm weight of said hand finally stilled her shaking leg. His hand rested there almost carelessly, as if it were its most natural home.

“Adi ki bhi exams hogi na next week?” Ishita asked. His hand remained on her thigh, unmoving.

“Haan. Main mummy-papa ke saath use kal milne gaya tha, uske football practice ke baad. Tab usne bataya tha. Usne kaha to sahi ki uski taiyyari sahi chal rahi hai, lekin…”

“Lekin kya?” Ishita picked up on a hint of uncertainty in Raman’s eyes. “Kya hua?”

“Mujhe nahi lagta us ghar mein uski padhai ya uski parvarish par koi bhi sahi dhyaan de raha hoga. I want him out of that house. I want him here, with us, at home.”

“Baat to aapki sahi hai Raman, lekin hum Adi ko ghar laayenge kaise? Kya Shagun cooperate karegi? Kya Adi khud maanega?”

“Ek idea hai mere paas. Dekh, agle hafte dono bacchon ki exams hai. Phir summer vacation shuru hoga. To kyun na hum Adi ko vacation ke liye ghar le kar aaye? Mihir ki shaadi bhi hai alge mahine. To isi bahaane woh shaadi ke har function mein bhi rahega. Adi uske mama ki shaadi bhi attend kar lega aur vacation bhi humaare saath spend kar lega.”

“Aur Shagun? Woh maan jaayegi?”

“Usko to kisi na kisi tarah se handle kar lenge. Waise bhi I’m not asking her for custody or anything. I’m just asking that Adi spend his summer vacation with us. By the end of it, we can talk about altering the custody agreement. By then Adi will also be comfortable living with us. And hopefully we can talk about keeping him here. Permanently.”

Even as he planned aloud with his wife, Raman’s eyes shimmered with hope. His son would finally come live with him. An elusive dream of five long years would finally come true.

“I think that’s a great idea Raman.” Ishita leaned in and laid her head on his shoulder. “Adi bas ek baar ghar aa jaaye. Phir hum use kahin nahin jaane denge.” She interlaced her fingers with his hand that was on her thigh, rubbing her thumb against his knuckles. 

Their proximity to each other had increased tremendously over the last few days. Physical contact and lingering touches now came to them effortlessly, naturally. They had found an entirely new level of comfort with each other, every gulf and gap between them closed. Almost every gulf.

Ishita’s phone chimed with a notification. She lifted her head from her husband’s shoulder and leaned over to the dresser to reach for her phone. It was an email from Dr. Batra. Over the exact same topic they had discussed today. 

“Yeh Dr. Batra bhi na…” she groaned as she dropped her phone on the dresser again, rejoining her husband on the couch. 

“Kya kiya Dr. Batra ne?” Raman asked, as he leaned back, stretching his arm along the backrest of the sofa. 

Ishita pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her feet on the couch, as she turned towards her husband. 

“He just emailed me another research proposal. He’s been trying to get me to join one of his projects. In fact, we talked about it at length this morning. But I’m not sure yet…”

“Why not?” Raman his leg and rested his left ankle on his right knee. “You’re not interested in research?”

“It’s not that… I am interested, but can I really afford to take more responsibilities at work right now? Ghar pe family aur bacchon ko meri zaroorat hogi. Aur agar Adi aa raha hai toh us par bhi dhyaan dena padega. Aap ka bhi Tokyo ka contract chal raha hai to phir kaise-”

“Madrasan, don’t worry about all of that. If you’re really passionate about it, then go for it. We’ll figure out the rest. Adi and Ruhi will be taken care of. The entire family will help out. And my work isn’t that time-consuming that I wouldn’t be able to find time for my kids.”

“Par phir bhi-”

“Shhh.” Raman pressed a finger to her lips to stop any argument. “I mean it. Say yes to the research if you really want to do it. We’ll figure out the rest.”

He trailed his finger from her lips to the remaining few strands of hair around her cheek, tucking them behind her ear, leaving goosebumps on the trail his finger left behind. 

Ishita’s heart pounded against her rib cage, anticipating his next move. Her gaze bounced from his hand to his eyes to his lips, back and forth, as her anxiety climbed and she bit her lip restlessly. Three days… three days ago, she had been kissed for the first time in her life. She had been kissed by the man she loved. It was one of the best moments of her life, yet the prospect of it happening again made her nervous. She didn’t know why and she didn’t know how to explain it.

It took everything in his being for Raman not to pull his wife closer and kiss her again. Her eyes were locked with his, and she bit her lower lip… and she looked adorable. It had been three days since their first kiss, and it played in his mind on a constant loop. He knew now, for a fact, that his wife loved him. He saw it in her eyes, in her reaction to his touch, in everything she did for him. But he also knew that any form of physical intimacy did not come easily to her. He could see the nervousness in her eyes, the taut form of her backbone. 

They hadn’t said a word about their kiss. They hadn’t discussed it, each of them relishing the moment on their own. But even without her saying it, Raman could tell his wife wasn’t ready for anything beyond what their relationship was now: light lingering touches, hugs, and at most kisses on the forehead. 

Thus, he firmly resolved not to repeat his stunt from three days ago. He had been overcome with emotion when he had kissed her; uncertainty, fear, doubt, heartbreak, and all-powerful love had been churning into a whirlpool in his heart. But he wouldn’t repeat it again. He’d control himself, until Ishita made the first move. He would guide her, teach her if needed. But only if she initiated it. 

He lowered his hand from her face.

“Bhabhi!” Rinki’s voice sounded from her bedroom, distracting Raman and Ishita. “Bhabhi, aapne meri woh stud earrings dekhi hai kahin?!”

“Jaayiye madam, bulava aa gaya,” Raman chuckled.

Ishita tightened her hair clip as she lowered her legs and headed out of her bedroom. “Aa rahi hoon Rinki!”

Raman followed her outside. While Ishita went into Rinki’s room, he joined his brother and father in the living room, watching the latest cricket highlights.

“Kaunsa match chal raha hain papa?” he asked.

“Puttar, wohi wala jo kal rat ko aa raha tha. Bas uske highlights hai.”

“By god Bhai, itna accha match tha kal raat,” Romi interjected, “aapne miss kar diya.”

“Miss karne se yaad aaya beta, mummy bata rahi thi tu agle hafte apne MBA ka graduation nahi attend karne wala. Yeh kya chakkar hai?” Raman asked his brother.

“Graduation kitna boring hota hai bhai. Aapka naam announce hone ke baad bas do ghante baithe raho. Bachelors ki ceremony ke baad mujhe nahi jaana phir se aisi boring ceremony mein. Waise bhi, maine apne doston ke saath alag se celebrate karna hai. Hum apni khud ki party karenge,” Romi winked.

“To phir tumhara MBA ka certificate?”

“Woh main le aaunga registrar ke office se.”

“Thik hai. To phir agle hafte se internship khatam, aur asli naukri chalu. Are you ready?”

“More ready than ever Bhai. Finally, my first paycheck!”

Over in the kitchen, Neelu rolled out parathas and cooked them over the skillet, as Toshi sat at the dining table cutting up tomatoes and cucumbers for the dinner salad. 

“Mummyji, aur tel hai?” Neelu asked. “Yeh wala to khatam ho gaya.”

“Utthe hi hai, tu thik se dekh,” Toshi instructed.

“Maine dekha mummyji, nahi hai.”

“Ruk ja do minute. Ishita! Ishita puttar!” 

Ishita came rushing out of Rinki’s bedroom. “Kya hua mummyji?”

“Yeh Neelu ko tel ki bottle nahi mil rahi hai. Tune kahan rakhi hai?”

“Rukiye, main deti hoon.”

Ishita joined Neelu in the kitchen and opened a new bottle of oil, helping her cook the rest of the parathas. 

Thirty minutes later, dinner was ready. Ishita called Ruhi up from the society compound, and the family settled on the dining table, relishing on aloo gobi (potato & cauliflower curry), kadai chicken, butter parathas, pakora kadhi, and basmati rice.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Khanna Mansion - 6 pm

“Mom, can you help me out with these math problems?” Adi asked, his math booklet clutched in one hand and a pencil in the other. His mother was sprawled on the sofa in her pink satin nightgown, her face covered in a face mask, her hair curled and set in place with hair rollers. She leaned back and closed her eyes.

“Adi, I’m busy,” she replied, sighing in relaxation from the face mask.

“Mom please… I need some help. I’m okay with all the rest of my subjects, but math is really hard.”

“Adi, can’t you see mumma is trying to rest here?! Just go upstairs and study by yourself!” she groaned, sipping on her wine glass.

My only one

My smoking gun

Adi faltered in his step as his mother’s words knocked into him. He really needed help. What would he do now? Why was mom always like this? Every time he came for help, she sent him away. Every time he tried to find warmth in her, he found nothing but a cold shoulder. 

It’s okay Adi, he told himself. She didn’t mean it. She’ll be fine in a few minutes. And then, when her mood was okay, she’d shower all the love on him. As she always did. 

My eclipsed sun

This has broken me down

He turned away from his mother and trudged up the stairs with his booklet and pencil. As he reached his bedroom, he slumped down in his chair and dropped his math booklet on the desk, sighing in frustration. He loved his mother. There was no doubt of that. But he could never do anything to keep her happy. Nothing he did was ever enough. It was a fight he could never win.

My twisted knife

My sleepless night

Adi drummed his pencil on the edge of his desk as he pondered the practice problems on the booklet in front of him. He was only on the first page of the booklet, stuck on decimal multiplication and division problems. He groaned aloud; math was his least favorite subject. 

Adi took a deep breath. Regardless of whether he enjoyed math or not, he had to practice. He didn’t have a choice. After all, he had exams next week. He might be alone in his studies but he still couldn’t afford to fall behind. 

My win-less fight

This has frozen my ground

He set to work in near-complete silence, the only sound around being the scratching of his pencil on the paper and the white noise of the fan.

Clang! Smash! Screams!

Adi jumped in his skin and dropped his pencil as sudden screams and sounds of glass breaking reached his ears. He was no stranger to these sounds, but still, his brow beaded with sweat, his breathing grew heavy, and his heart pounded with anxiety. Mom and Ashok uncle were fighting. Again. 

Stood on the cliffside

Screaming, "Give me a reason"

He drew in a breath and exhaled roughly. He had to ignore it. He had to find a way to tune out the noise so he could focus. He pulled on his headphones and blasted the music to full volume. Drowning out all his worries with Taylor Swift’s voice, he picked up his pencil and set to work. Again. 

Your faithless love's the only hoax

I believe in

Don't want no other shade of blue

But you

No other sadness in the world would do

“I don’t believe this, Ashok! How could you say that?!” Shagun screamed, throwing her wine glass on the floor, shattering it to pieces. Her best laid plans were unraveling. Her five year long investment was crashing. No… No, this couldn’t be happening.

“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do, woman! You’ve been nothing but a pain in my ass!” Ashok yelled.

“Oh really?” Shagun crossed her arms against her chest. “That’s not what you thought last night,” she sneered. 

My best laid plan

Your sleight of hand

Ashok stomped forward, towering over Shagun who stood in her pink nightgown, face devoid of her face mask. He roughly grabbed her face, squeezing her cheeks with his fingers.

“Listen woman,” Ashok hissed in a deadly voice, “that’s all you’re useful for now. Only in the bedroom. And trust me, I can find much younger prettier women for that. I don’t need you.” He pushed her back, letting go of her face in disgust.

Shagun’s nostrils flared in rage. “If you even think of leaving me Ashok, I’ll make your life a living hell,” she threatened.

“I’d like to see you try.” Ashok grabbed her by the throat and pushed her down on the sofa. “You’re a useless woman. Good for nothing.”

My barren land

I am ash from your fire

Ashok stomped away leaving a crying, raging Shagun on the sofa. In her rage, she grabbed the sofa cushions and threw them down, adding to the broken glass that lay on the floor of the living room.

How could he? She had invested five years in that man, and he had threatened to throw her away like she was nothing. The same man that had wooed her and whisked her away from her ex-husband to a land of paradise, now blurted out that she was of no use to him. That he would rather find someone younger and prettier, someone who wasn’t nearing thirty years of age, someone who wasn’t lugging around kids from another man. 

Stood on the cliffside

Screaming "Give me a reason"

She squeezed her eyes shut even as tears streamed down her cheeks. She sniffed and huffed her tears away, even as her eyes turned red and puffy. No, she wasn’t going to let Ashok shatter her dreams and leave her like a piece of garbage. This mansion, this luxury, this wealth belonged to her. It belonged to her and her son. She had put in too much work to let go of it now. 

Ashok loved her. She knew it. He may have blurted something out in anger but she knew what he was really like. He was the man that had gifted her countless necklaces and bracelets and rings. He was the man that had shown off her beauty in the glitz and glam parties. He was the man who loved her. She wasn’t going to forget it, and she sure as hell wasn’t going to let him forget it. 

Your faithless love's the only hoax

I believe in

Don't want no other shade of blue

But you

No other sadness in the world would do

https://youtu.be/ryLGxpjwAhM

Vidya Shakti Public School, Parking Lot - three days later, Monday, 3:50 pm

“I’m still mad at you.” Ishita crossed her arms across her chest and turned away from her husband. 

“Come on Ishita. We agreed to this. Your car needs to get fixed.” Raman parked his car in the parking lot and turned towards his wife in the passenger seat.

“But an entire month Raman! How am I supposed to go about my life without my car for a whole month?!”

“Ab jitna time lagega utna to lagega hi na madrasan?”

“Isiliye main keh rahi thi ki Mihir aur Mihika ki shaadi ke baad meri gaadi dete hai shop mein. Ab pura mahina bina gaadi ke chalana padega. Shaadi ka saamaan le jaane ke liye, guests ko pick up aur drop off karne ke liye sab ki gaadiyaan chahiye hongi na?”

“Manage ho jaayega. Agar gaadiyaan kam pad gayi to taxi book kar lenge.”

Ishita gazed out the window, her eyes focused on the entrance of the school. 

“Ruhi kyun nahi aayi abhi tak?” she wondered aloud.

“Because we’re ten minutes early. Woh aa jaayegi. Shaanti se baith,” Raman instructed her.

Ishita fell back against the seat and sighed. Raman sent a quick message to Mihir before turning his attention to her again.

“Aapko iske baad waapis office jaana hai?” Ishita asked.

“Pata nahi, waise to maine Mihir ko message kiya hai. Agar woh aaj ka kaam sambhaal paata hai to thik hai. Warna main jaaunga waapis.”

“Dekhiye, ab aap Mihir ko itna kaam dena band kar dijiye. Uski shaadi hone wali hai.”

“Mujhe itni toh akal hai madam. Aur waise bhi, now that Romi is done with his MBA, he’ll take on more responsibilities at the office. Mihir will get more than enough time with his wife. Happy?”

“Yes, happy.”

Ishita glanced out the car window, but her chirpy daughter was nowhere in sight yet. Raman’s phone chimed with a message from Mihir. And he sighed aloud.

“Turns out Mihir is going to need me back at the office today. I’ll have to go back after dropping you guys off at home,” he said.

“Ab socho, agar meri gaadi hoti toh aap abhi office jaa sakte the. Mere aur Ruhi ke liye rukna nahi padta. Hum log meri gaadi mein ghar chale jaate,” Ishita quipped.

“Tumhari gaadi ghar tak pahochti hi nahi. Raaste mein hi band pad jaati. Aur agar kahin thuk jaati to aur musibat.”

“Aaj tak, maine ek baar bhi apni gaadi nahi thoki hai.”

“Oh really?!” Raman turned to his wife and raised his eyebrows. “Did you forget how we met?”

“I did not forget anything.” Ishita narrowed her eyes and met her husband’s eyes. “It was your car that hit mine. Not the other way around.”

“Agree to disagree…”

A knock on the back window ended their tiff. 

“Ishimaa! Papa! Open the door!” Ruhi tapped repeatedly on the window. 

Raman unlocked the door, and Ruhi climbed in. To their surprise, Adi followed behind her. But instead of climbing in, he poked his head in, hesitant to sit down and join the family. 

“Adi bhaiya! Aayiye na!” Ruhi urged. “Dekho papa, main Adi bhaiya ko bhi lekar aayi.”

Raman turned his head around and smiled at his son. “Come na beta, sit down.”

“Ruhi bahot zid kar rahi thi… I mean she literally dragged me here…” Adi laughed nervously.

“Accha kiya usne beta,” Ishita chimed in. She turned around and beckoned Adi in. “Baitho na. Come in.”

Adi climbed in beside his sister and clicked his seatbelt in place. 

“Adi, aaj aapki tuition classes hogi na? Math, right?” Raman asked. “Should we drop you off there?”

“No, we don’t have any tuitions this week. Or football practice either. They’re canceled since we have exams. You can drop me off at home. I’ll text the driver not to come.”

As Adi retrieved his phone from his backpack, Raman drove out of the parking lot, heading towards the Khanna Mansion. He barely hid his scowl at the prospect of dropping his son off at that cursed place.

“Aap dono ki exams kaisi thi aaj?” Ishita asked both kids.

“Bahot acchi thi Ishimaa. Mujhe saare answers pata the!” Ruhi beamed.

“Aapne saare answers recheck kiye the? Jaise Ishimaa ne sikhaya tha?” she asked.

“Yes mumma!”

Adi gulped. He quashed down any envy he felt for his sister. 

“Adi, aapka paper kaisa tha?” Ishita asked him.

“It was okay. I had my math exam today. My least favorite subject.”

“Well, at least you’re done with it now. No need to worry about it anymore.”

Raman hit the brakes as they approached a red light. He drummed his fingers against the steering wheel as he chewed his lip, thinking about how to break to Adi his hopes for the summer. The light turned green and he floored the gas. 

“Adi beta, do you have any summer plans?” he asked, making eye contact with his son in the rear-view mirror. 

“Not yet dad. Why?”

“Well… Mihir mama is getting married next month. So I was wondering if you wanted to come stay with us for the summer. That way, you can participate in every function, with everyone. All your cousins will be there. You’ll have a lot of fun.”

Adi brightened up at the idea. “Really dad?! I think that sounds great!” Immediately, his smile faltered. “But will mom be okay with that?”

“We’ll talk to her when we drop you off, okay? I’ll convince her,” Raman assured him.

“She’s gonna come to the wedding too, right?” Adi asked.

Raman pressed his lips together. Mihir would never agree to that. But Adi wouldn’t be happy hearing otherwise.

“If your mom and Mihir mama are okay with it, then of course she can,” Raman replied to the best of his ability.

While Raman relaxed, content in his son’s answer to spend the summer with them, Adi’s brain churned with an idea. He would finally be out of that mansion for the summer. He wouldn’t have to deal with the constant fights and the never ceasing atmosphere of negativity for three whole months. What if… what if his mother could be out of that house too?

“Papa, can mom come to stay with us too?” he asked, hope etched in his eyes. He would do anything to get his mother to stay away from Ashok, from the man who never respected her.

Ishita’s eyes widened in shock. Her discomfort heightened at the prospect of her husband’s ex-wife moving in, and in her anxiety, she looked to the one person who could put her at ease. Raman met Ishita’s eyes and nodded discreetly. 

“Adi beta,” he spoke to his son, “we don’t have enough room for your mom to move in too. We’ll be having lots of guests coming over for the wedding. She won’t be comfortable. I think she’ll prefer living in the mansion, with all the facilities she’s used to.”

Adi’s smile fell but he knew his father was right. His mom was used to a certain lifestyle.

“But don’t worry beta,” Raman continued. “Your mom can come visit you anytime she wants. And we can take you to meet her as well. Anytime you miss her. Okay?”

“Okay dad.” Adi smiled, content with knowing that his mother could come over anytime to visit him.

Ten minutes later, Raman parked his car in front of the Khanna Mansion. The family of four exited the car and approached the entrance. Raman rang the doorbell, and the butler let them in.

Shagun strolled out of the kitchen and stopped in her tracks, seething at the people who had dared to accompany her son home. Raman read her mood correctly and sent his kids upstairs. 

“Adi, why don’t you show your room to your sister? I’ll talk to your mother until then,” he suggested. 

“Okay dad.”

Adi held his sister’s hand and took her upstairs, eager to show her his shelf full of books. Downstairs, Shagun sauntered towards Raman and Ishita, nose held high, her fingers running through her smooth hair.

“What brings you both here?” she gritted out.

“Shagun, we were hoping Adi could stay with us over the summer,” Raman said without beating around the bush. “It’s Mihir’s wedding next month. I think he’d love to attend.”

Shagun fumed. Her own brother was getting married, and no one had bothered to invite her! On top of that, they wanted her son to attend?! Without her?! Not on her watch.

“Absolutely not Raman. I’m not sending my son with the likes of you!”

“Just think about Adi for once,” Raman urged. “I’ve already talked to him. He’s really excited to come stay with us.”

“Well, you should have thought about asking me first. My own brother is getting married, and you want my son there, but not me?! If my son comes, then I come too. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.”

“Listen Shagun, if Mihir is okay with you coming, then he’ll invite you himself. As far as Adi is concerned, you can come meet him anything you want. And once the vacation is over, he’ll be back with you in no time.”

Shagun managed to push her vanity into some corner of her mind to let her calculating cleverness take over. She hated the thought of sending her son to the Bhalla House, away from her, where he could slip out from under her control. But upon re-thinking her stance, she saw the benefit of letting him stay with the Bhallas temporarily.

Her relationship with Ashok was extremely rocky. She was convinced that she could patch things up with him, that she could get him to continue loving her like he used to. But still, she needed a back-up plan. And what better back-up plan than the people who were so attached to her one and only son? She could let Adi stay with the Bhallas, let them get attached to him, and then use him to bend them all according to her will. After all, she held sole custody of Adi. She could definitely use it to make sure she had a hold on the Bhallas… and her ex-husband. 

“Fine…” Shagun cleared her throat. “Adi can stay with you. But no one can stop me from coming over to meet him, anytime I want.”

“Yes, of course Shagun… Of course, you can meet him anytime you want.”

Raman beamed with delight and turned to his wife, squeezing her hand as his eyes glistened with contentment and hope. Ishita returned the gesture, nodding at her husband, sharing in the joy he felt.

Meanwhile, Shagun smiled wickedly, as some detestable plans brewed in her head.

Central Supermarket - two days later, Wednesday April 16, 5 pm

Raman and Ishita exited their car and shut the door, as they made their way to the entrance of the supermarket. Raman grabbed a shopping cart, as Ishita retrieved the shopping list from her purse. 

“I seriously feel like your chauffeur madrasan, now that I’m driving you everywhere,” Raman quipped, as they arrived in the produce section. 

“Maine to pehle hi kaha tha ki main ricksha se aa jaaungi. Aap hi nahi maane.” Ishita replied, as she surveyed the cauliflowers and cabbages.

“Accha? Aur saamaan ke dus bags tum ricksha se lekar aati? Itni bhi badi pehelwaan nahi ho tum.”

“To phir driver bhi mujhe lekar aa sakta tha na?” Ishita retorted. She dropped a bag of cauliflowers and capsicums in the shopping cart. 

“Aap bhul gaye na madam? Driver toh mummy aur papa ko lekar gaya hai, shaadi ke liye pooja ka saamaan laane ke liye.”

Of course, Raman refrained from mentioning that he himself had insisted his parents go with the driver, hitting two birds with one stone. His parents could travel comfortably, while he got to spend time with his madrasan.

“To phir bane rahiye apni biwi ke chauffeur,” Ishita smirked. 

“Aur kar bhi kya sakte hai?” Raman chuckled.

Ishita surveyed the rest of the fruits and vegetables in the produce section, adding various bags to the cart that Raman pushed alongside her.

“Yeh sab kitna mehenga hai,” she sighed, clicking her tongue in disappointment. “Isse accha kisi chote se kiraane ki dukaan par chalte na, to yeh saari sabziyaan aadhe price mein mil jaati.”

“No way,” Raman said. “I am not going to those tiny shops. Yahan price zyada hai, lekin sab kuch acchi quality ka milta hai. Shopping to hum yahin se karenge,” he insisted.

“Quality to chote shops mein bhi acchi hi hoti hai. Yeh to aapko chaska laga hai, zyada paise kharch karne ka.”

“Aisa nahi hai Ishita. Aise bade supermarkets mein hygiene ka bahot acche se khayal rakhte hain. Quality here is ten times better.”

Their banter continued as they strolled through the grocery store. Eventually, they reached the edge of the non-veg section.

“Raman, aap ek kaam kijiye na. Wahan se chicken ya mutton ya jo bhi non-veg ki items leni hai woh le kar aayiye na? Mujhe nahi jaana wahan.” Ishita screwed her face in discomfort.

“Fine,” Raman chuckled. “Yeh lo, cart pakdo.”

Ishita took a hold of the cart and turned into the cereal aisle, as Raman retrieved the non-veg supplies his mother had ordered. He returned and dropped them into their cart. That was when he noticed exactly what his wife had shopped for. There was spinach and paneer for his favorite palak paneer. There was soy sauce, chili sauce, capsicums, and hakka noodles for Ruhi’s favorite Chinese meal. There were even cauliflowers and cabbages for Romi and Rinki’s favorite gobi ke parathe. 

“Main aaya ek minute,” he told his wife, as she dropped boxes of cornflakes and cocoa puffs in the cart. 

When he returned, he dropped tomatoes, tamarind, and rasam masala mix into the cart. Ishita smiled softly. Those were the ingredients for her favorite comfort food, rasam rice.

They walked over to the next aisle. 

“Raman, main soch rahi hoon, kuch Italian supplies bhi le lu. Adi aa raha hai na agle hafte? Use Italian pasand aayega,” Ishita suggested.

Raman simply nodded. His wife was one of a kind. She managed to think of every member of his family, without forgetting anyone. 

“Waise, Adi se yaad aaya, aap use psychiatrist ke paas le jaane ki baat kar rahe the na?” Ishita asked, as she placed a bottle of marinara sauce and alfredo sauce in the shopping cart. “Kuch baat bani?”

“Abhi tak to nahi,” Raman replied. “I’ve spoken to the psychiatrist that Bala suggested. And she’s open to new clients. Bas ab ek baar Adi se baat karni padegi. Is hafte uski exams hai, to main abhi use disturb nahi karna chahta. Agle hafte woh ghar aa jaaye tab usse baat karunga. Shaanti se, baith ke use samjhaaunga.”

“Good thinking.”

Ishita dropped a bag of pasta and spaghetti in the cart. They proceeded towards the personal hygiene aisle, picking up body wash, shampoo, lotion, and toothpaste.

“Is there no dental floss here?” Ishita ran her eyes through every shelf but couldn’t find what she was looking for. “I’m going to check in the next aisle. Look after the cart please, Raman.”

She pushed the cart towards Raman, and darted off to the next aisle to find dental floss. After a thorough perusal, she struck gold. She grabbed two packs of dental floss and returned to her husband. But the sight that greeted her had her eyes bulging out of her head. 

Her husband chatted away animatedly with another woman. She was decked in a skin-tight salmon pink dress with long off-the-shoulder sleeves, accentuating every slender curve of her body. Her brown hair was pulled back in a perfect high ponytail, her skin glowing from the most expensive concealer and foundation. Ishita was suddenly self-conscious of her own appearance. She was dressed in a plain merigold saree, her hair carelessly tied back with a few bobby pins, her face lacking any makeup other than a hint of kajal (kohl).

The woman grazed her fingers on Raman’s arm and Ishita fumed. No way. Not on her watch. She didn’t care how beautiful or young that woman was. No one, no one but her could touch her husband. She stomped forward, determined to lay her claim on her man. She knew this was unlike the calm, cool, collected Dr. Ishita Bhalla she usually was, but she didn’t give a damn anymore. She had discovered long back that nothing was normal about her when it came to her husband. 

“By the way Raman, you’ve really kept yourself incredibly fit after all these years. You look exactly like you did in college,” Ishita heard the woman say. 

“That’s very kind of you Monica,” Raman replied, pleasant as ever. He had grown accustomed to female attention, but he still squirmed from unwanted attention.

“Why don’t we get together sometime? I’d love to hear what you’ve been doing. Maybe coffee or dinner?” Monica suggestively grazed her fingers on Raman’s arm again.

Ishita was only a few feet away from them but neither had seen her coming yet. The green-eyed monster in her was ready to pounce and attack the woman in front of her.

Raman jerked his arm away and stepped back. “That’s very flattering Monica, but it won’t be possible.” He spread out his fingers and flashed his wedding band at her. “I’m married.”

Ishita’s chest swelled with pride and satisfaction as she stepped beside her husband and placed her hand on his shoulder. “And I’m his wife,” she declared.

“Oh wow…” Monica said, her eyes going back and forth from Raman and Ishita. “I had no clue. You guys… you guys look great together. I’ll take your leave then. It was nice seeing you after so many years Raman. You take care.”

“Nice to see you too Monica. Bye.”

Raman waved her goodbye as Monica strolled away, clicking her heels on the tile of the floor. 

“Kaun thi woh?” Ishita asked as soon as Monica was out of earshot.

“Kya?” Raman faced his fuming wife, acting as if he knew nothing.

“Zyada bhole mat baniye. Kaun thi woh ladki jisne abhi abhi aapko coffee aur dinner ka invitation diya?” She narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. 

Raman pressed his lips to avoid smiling. His wife was jealous. And he loved it.

“So you noticed what she said, but you didn’t notice that I said no?” Raman asked. “Itni jealousy?”

Ishita dropped her arms and took a step back. “Jealousy-wealousy kuch nahi hai. Mujhe to us bichaari ladki par taras aa raha tha. Aap jaise Raavan kumar ke saath nibhana har kisi ki bas ki baat nahi hai.”

“Accha?” Raman stepped forward, crowding her space. “Beta kya hai na, hum un logon mein se hai jo aag lagne se pehle dhua sungh lete hai. Aur tum na jal-bhun ke dhua dhua ho chuki ho. Qubool kar lo. Jalan to huyi tumhe.”

Ishita stepped back until her back collided with the aisle, rattling the bottles of body wash and shampoo. “Nahi huyi. Bilkul jalan nahi huyi,” she lied, averting her eyes.

“Oh really? Toh jab dil mein chor nahi hota na, to aankhein mila kar baat karte hai.” He pulled her chin forward, forcing himself to face him. “Aankhein churaate nahi hai.”

Ishita locked her eyes with her husband, breathing heavily, and without meaning to, the truth came tumbling out. 

“Haan, huyi thi jalan.” She pulled at the lapels of his shirt, bringing him closer. “Ab sach sach batao, kaun thi woh?”

Raman slid his hands across her waist, rubbing the pads of his thumbs against the expanse of bare skin between her saree and blouse, setting her skin on fire.

“We used to go to college together. I was her senior ten years ago. Apparently she remembered me and introduced herself. I barely remember her, madrasan,” he explained. “Waise bhi, tumhari jitni hot biwi ho, to kisi aur pe nazar kaise jaayegi?”

“Kapdo ki thaan lapetu tab bhi?”

“Tab bhi.” He raised his hand and tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. 

Just then, a passerby loudly cleared his throat, causing Ishita and Raman to spring apart. Raman dropped his hands, and Ishita let go of the lapels of his shirt. Suddenly aware of their public location, Ishita grabbed the handles of their shopping cart and rushed to the next aisle, flustered beyond belief. Raman cleared his throat and followed his wife, struggling to hide his smile and blush.

Raman found his wife in the next aisle, walking forward with her back facing him. He stepped forward to approach her, only for her to back out of the aisle abruptly and crash into him. The unexpected weight of his wife cost him his balance, causing him to hit the ground with his back, his wife falling on top of him.

“Ouch! Madrasan, tu paagal hai kya?!” he shouted. “Seedhe seedhe jaa rahi thi, to achanak reverse gear kahan se aa gaya tujh mein?”

“A-Aap? Aap y-yahan… kaise…” Ishita stammered.

“Main yahan nahin to aur kahan hounga? Tumhaare dimaag ka sach much koi screw dheela hai kya?!”

“Sorry, sorry Raman, maine aapko dekha nahi…”

Ishita scrambled to her feet, helping her husband up, dusting him off. Not once did she meet his eyes, her blush deepening from pink to crimson. 

“Ishita seriously, are you okay?” Raman asked, rubbing the back of his head to soothe the ache his fall had caused. 

“I-I’m fine… M-mujhe… um… woh… kuch lena hai…”

Ishita escaped from the aisle, taking the cart with her, almost running away. It wasn’t until Raman regained his senses and realized where he was, that he understood what was wrong with his wife. 

He stood smack dab in the middle of the contraception and family planning aisle. 

A smile crept up to his lips which slowly transformed into a light laugh. The same bold woman that had laid her claim on him a few minutes ago, suddenly transformed into a shy bride moments later. His wife was truly a conundrum. 

As he left the aisle, looking for his wife, he became certain of his earlier conclusion: his madrasan was definitely not ready for the next step. 

Hello my precious readers! 🤗

This was a bit of a shorter update. I am just setting up the stage for the next sequence. If you haven't guessed already, then let me tell you that up next is my take on the Ashok-Shagun wedding track and the subsequent track where Adi and Shagun lived in the Bhalla House. 

Of course, I'm replacing Ashok & Shagun's wedding with Mihir & Mihika's wedding. I felt they could have made the same change in the show without it affecting the plot too much. IshRa and their families being heavily involved in MiMi's wedding would've been a lot more palatable. And Shagun/Ashok could still be invited from Mihir's side. The exact same dramas and plot could be followed, and the audience would've loved that a lot more.

Also, in my story, Shagun isn't moving into the Bhalla House, only Adi is. She'll be visiting often though, so her presence will increase. I felt like the show could've made a similar change. Shagun temporarily stays at the Bhalla House for a couple nights, but then stays at Mihir's place or Raman sets her up in an apartment of her own. She could visit often and create the same drama that she did. She didn't need to be living there. 

A few of you have expressed the concern that my story is ending soon. I want to alleviate your concerns there. I have a lot of content planned. Adi has yet to accept Ishita as a mother, he has yet to completely integrate into the IshRaRu unit, and he still has to realize the truth about Shagun. All of that will take time. Plus, Ishita's insecurities are yet to be unpacked, and both IshRa are yet to confess. Even after that, I have planned both a honeymoon and a pregnancy track for IshRa. So rest assured, this story is nowhere near over! 😉

Just a heads up, the next updates might take a bit longer. Grad school is beginning soon and I'll get busy with classes. Plus, planning out the next few chapters will take a while. 

As always, stay happy and healthy! Keep reading, and voting, and commenting!! I love you all!! 😊❤️

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update please update next part soon 

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

"The last video was Ishita singing a Tamil song, which Raman watched three times."

My favorite IshRa moment😳

"My journey to marriage and parenthood was not the usual path, but that doesn't make it any less valid."

My favorite line😳

Detailed comment later😛

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 48

Bhalla House - three days later, Saturday, April 19, 2 pm

Aditya stood on the doorstep of the Bhalla house and took a deep breath. He had been here before. He'd visited at length; he'd even stayed the night. But as he slung his backpack over his shoulder and stepped into the living room, an invisible uncertainty gripped him. 

He was moving back into his paternal home, into the place that held the best memories of his life. Every memory came into focus, nostalgia and joy mingling in his heart. But he was also worried. Worried of how he would find his place in this family, where so much had changed. Worried of how his mother would fare without him & how he would fare without his mother. The uncertainty had his heart thumping loudly. He was excited... but he was nervous too.

"Aao Adi beta, tumhara saamaan room mein rakh dete hai." Raman guided Adi into the house, wheeling his son's suitcase behind them. He could barely keep his elation under control. His son was finally home. For good. 

Shagun followed behind, clicking her heels on the tile floor, flinging her designer net saree's pallu around her waist. She had come over to drop off her son, but she hated being back here. This house, these people, all of it was in her past. All of it was beneath her. What irony her life had played! The same people she had left behind, the same ex she had dumped, were now her back-up plan. 

"Adi, jaane se pehle apni mom ko ek hug to de do," she called after her son's retreating figure.

Adi turned around and gave his mom a tight hug, squeezing every ounce of love he had for her in the ferocity of his hug. 

"I'll miss you mom. I'll call you every day."

"I'll miss you too beta." Shagun pulled back and gave him a quick kiss on the forehead. 

As Adi hoisted his backpack further on his shoulder and turned around to proceed inside with his father, Shagun stood at the edge of the living room, apart from the Bhalla family, whose eyes were focused on Adi and Raman. Toshi folded her hands, sending a silent thanks to Matarani for bringing her grandson home. Rinki, Simi, and Romi high-fived Adi welcoming him home, while Ruhi ran forward and wrapped her arms around her brother. 

"Welcome home Adi bhaiya!" she exclaimed. "I am so excited ki aap ghar aa gaye! Hum log itni masti karenge saath mein!" She jumped up and down in joy.

"Beta shaant." Ishita stepped forward and tamed her daughter. "Adi bhaiya abhi abhi toh aaye hai. Unhe baithne do, thoda rest karne do... Aap unke saath baad mein khelna." 

With much difficulty, Ruhi let go of her brother. 

"Adi, main aapka backpack le leti hoon," Ishita offered. She stepped forward to grab his backpack handle, only for Adi to step back and stop her.

"Nahi!" He clutched his backpack protectively. It had too many important things in it. He couldn't let anyone touch it. "I mean... I just meant that I'll take it inside myself. Aap takleef mat lijiye."

Adi stepped away from Ishita and walked inside, Raman trailing behind him with the suitcase. He looked to his father, who took him to Ruhi's room. 

His sister's room had a completely different look today. The baby pink and canary yellow walls were now covered with Hogwarts logos and football posters. Ruhi's pink bed and Rapunzel themed poster had been pushed to one side of the room and another twin bed with blue bedding had been added to the other end. Her desk was now situated against the wall in between both beds with two chairs instead of one. Another white wardrobe stood at the other end of the room, opposite to Ruhi's cupboard. 

"Abhi ke liye aap Ruhi ke saath apna kamra share karna, Adi," Raman said. "Dekh, us desk mein tere liye ek drawer khaali kiya hai. Aur yeh tere liye pura naya cupboard laaye hai hum." He gestured towards the brand new wardrobe.

Adi dropped his backpack onto the blue bed and slumped down on it, as he surveyed his new room. Raman set his suitcase against the new cupboard. 

"You must be used to your own space, right?" Raman asked, desperate to continue the conversation. "Actually our original plan was to convert the guest room into your room. But Mihir mama's wedding is happening soon. And we need to keep the guest room available for guests who are coming over from far away. But as soon as they leave, we'll convert the guest room into your room, okay?"

"That won't be necessary dad. I'm not staying here that long anyway. I'm going back home after the vacation ends."

Raman's smile dropped and his heart pinched. His son didn't consider this place his home. Not yet. But he would make sure that wouldn't last. His son will be showered with so much love here, he would have no doubt that this was his permanent home, not temporary. 

He cleared his throat and blinked his sadness away. "Aao beta, I'll help you unpack."

"No dad, it's okay. I'll do it on my own."

"Are you sure Adi? I can send Ishita or your grandmother to help too."

"I'm sure... I'm used to doing these things by myself. I'll be fine unpacking by myself," Adi insisted. 

"Okay beta. Lekin agar kuch bhi kaam ho toh bula lena, okay?"

Adi nodded at his father, who hesitantly stepped back and left the room, sneaking a final glance at his son. He was still uncomfortable, still miles away from finding his place in this family. The place that had always been his, the place that had been an empty void ever since he had left. 

Meanwhile, Adi exhaled shakily and began unpacking. He recalled these exact same movements from over four months ago. He had been unpacking in the Khanna Mansion, wary of moving back to the city where his most painful memories lay. But now, his movements carried a current of hope and joy along with some uncertainty. Because now, he was moving back to the house where his most joyous memories had been created. 

He unzipped his backpack and emptied its contents onto the bed. His most precious belongings fell out. His father's wrinkled business card, the first item he had received from him when he had moved back to the city. Three old and grainy pictures along with his blue and green painting from before he started school, all of which his father had given him. He even found the note Ruhi had given him at one of their school lunches along with the shell she had brought for him from their lakeside picnic. He opened the empty drawer in the desk and deposited everything in there one by one. Lastly, he picked up his old, tattered teddy bear and set it against the pillows of his bed. He was home. At last. 

.....................................................................................................................

Meanwhile, in the living room

As Raman and Adi disappeared into the kids' room, Shagun stepped towards Ishita, swishing her hair back, narrowing her eyes.

"Isheeta, mera beta aaj se yahan rahega. You better take proper care of him," she ordered. 

"Tum chinta mat karo Shagun. Hum sab uska bahot acche se khayal rakhenge," Ishita smiled.

"Dekho, use tum logon ka oily Punjabi khaana zyada pasand nahi hai. He likes continental dishes, like pasta, pizza, bagels, sandwiches... things like that. Aur use raat ko jaldi so jaane ki aadat hai. So no one will disturb him when he wants to go to bed."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind."

"And one more thing," Shagun continued. "Whenever he wakes up in the morning, he likes to have a tall glass of chocolate milk. Make sure he gets it without fail."

"Shagun..." Ishita stepped forward and placed her hand on her forearm in an effort to offer comfort. She recalled how distraught she was herself when Ruhi had moved into Raman's house before her marriage. She could only imagine how fraught Shagun was right now. 

"Tum please chinta mat karo," she assured her. "Main har ek cheez ka khayal rakhungi. Adi will be perfectly taken care of. And if you don't believe me, you can come to visit him anytime."

Shagun shook her arm, causing Ishita's hand to drop away, much to her surprise. 

"You better believe I'll come check on him, Isheeta," she directed. "I hate leaving him here. Mujhe bahot bura lag raha hai apne bacche ko khud se dur kar ke. Abhi abhi toh woh Dehradun se waapis aaya tha. Mera beta mujhe abhi waapis mila tha, aur itni jaldi dur bhi ho gaya..."

"Nahi Shagun, woh bilkul dur nahi hua hai. Woh yahin to hai..."

"Yeh baat tum nahi samjhogi Isheeta," Shagun scoffed. "Tum nahi jaanti ki ek maa ke dil par kya guzarti hai. Apni kok mein nau mahine ek bacche ko paalne ke baad, use janam dene ke baad, jab usse dur hona padta hai..." She let the end of her sentence dangle. 

Ishita staggered back as if she'd been slapped. She lost her speech, every word of assurance she had mustered up burnt to ashes.

Toshi and Simi exchanged furious glances. They had been silent spectators of Ishita and Shagun's conversation until now, but Shagun had crossed a line. 

They stomped towards them, Simi slinging her arm around Ishita protectively, while Toshi stepped between her current and ex daughter-in-law.

"Badi aayi maa ka dukh jataane wali." Toshi planted her fists on her hips and glared upwards, matching Shagun's stare. "Tera yeh dukh kahaan gaya tha jab humaari choti si Ruhi ko tune chod diya? Che mahine ki bacchi ko tu anaath ashram mein chod kar chali gayi thi, apne boyfriend naal gulcharrey udaane!"

Shagun looked away, teeth grinding and nostrils flaring in irritation.

"Aur Adi ki itni chinta jataane ki zaroorat nahi hai tujhe," Simi chimed in. "Woh apne parivaar ke saath hai. Jahan use hona chahiye. Woh bilkul thik hai."

Ishita gulped and took a deep breath. Simi's arm around her straightened her spine and Toshi's protective stance in front of her caused her confidence to seep through her again.

Meanwhile, Shagun took a step back, annoyed at the display of unity in front of her. 

"The door is right behind you!" Rinki called out from the couch. Romi sniggered beside her.

Without a word, Shagun turned around and stomped away. But before she crossed the threshold of the house, an evil smile upturned her lips. These people could make as many shows of unity as they like, but when the time came, she knew they'd choose Adi over Ishita any day. And that was where her strength lay. 

As Shagun left the building, inside, Simi and Toshi turned to Ishita, trying to uplift her mood. 

"Puttar, tu us chudail ki baaton mein naa aana, thik hai? Woh to kuch bhi anaab-shanaab bakti hai," Toshi urged. 

Ishita nodded, blinking away the hurt in her eyes. 

Simi bumped her with her hip, tightening her hold on her shoulder. "Mumma thik keh rahi hai. Tu uski baatein dil pe mat lena. Khud to kabhi maa ban nayi paayi, aayi badi tujhe sikhaane wali," she muttered. 

"Arey main bilkul thik hoon. Aap dono meri chinta mat kijiye." Ishita peeled Simi's arm off of her and squeezed her forearm. "Lekin please, aisi sab baatein Adi ke saamne mat karna. Hum sab ko us baat ka dhyaan rakhna hoga."

"Haan haan, thik hai..." Toshi agreed. Simi too nodded in agreement.

Ishita sighed. Her family knew her worth. Her family regarded her as the mother she truly was. So what difference did it make what anyone else said?

.....................................................................................................................

Later that day - 7 pm

"Chalo sab dinner-shinner karne!" Toshi called out. "Romi! Rinki! Raman! Kitthe reh gaye sab?"

As Romi, Rinki and Omprakash filed out into the dining room to join Toshi, Ishita walked to the kids' room to call them for dinner. She faltered at the door, however, not having the heart to disturb the scene in front of her. 

Raman sat against the headboard of Ruhi's bed, leaning against the cushions, while his children were seated in front of him surrounding the monopoly board. Ruhi was lying down on her stomach with her legs sticking in the air, while Adi sat with his legs crossed, waiting for his sister's next move. 

"Just make a choice Ru, are you going to buy the plot or not?" he asked. Again. 

"I don't know bhaiya. Just let me think!" she shrieked. 

Raman sighed, and Adi rolled his eyes. Ishita pressed her lips to hide a smile. She walked in and sat on the bed beside her daughter.

"Ishimaa kuch suggest kare?" she asked. "Abhi ke liye aap game ko pause karo. Kyunki dadi sabko dinner ke liye bula rahi hai."

"Dinner mein kya hai Ishimaa?" Ruhi asked, sitting up.

"Aaj dadi ne bahot kuch banaya hai. Chole, aloo gobi, chicken biryani, garam garam puri, aur saath mein gulab jamun!"

After hearing the delicious menu, it didn't take long for Ishita to get her babies settled on the dining table. Neelu had set the table when they arrived, so they all sat down and dug in. 

It wasn't until ten minutes later that Ishita's folly struck her.

"Adi, I just remembered... Your mom said you don't like Punjabi food. Aap ko toh continental pasand hai na? Main aap ke liye pasta bana du?" she asked. 

Adi swallowed his bite of biryani and shook his head in the negative. "Nahi Aunty, I like this stuff."

"Are you sure? It won't take too long."

"Yes, I'm sure."

Ruhi narrowed her eyes at the exchange. "Ishimaa, main jab bhi kehti hoon ki mujhe kuch aur bana kar do, toh aap humesha mana karti hai. Aur aaj Adi bhaiya ke liye aap khud pasta banaayengi?" she asked her mother.

Ishita turned to her daughter and narrowed her own eyes, mirroring her expression. "Accha bacchu? To kya hum roz roz aapki har demand puri karenge kya? Aur waise bhi, do din pehle jab Neelu didi ne tinde banaaye the, to aapke liye alag se aloo ki sabzi kisne banayi thi? Ishimaa ne hi na? To waise hi agar Adi bhaiya ko bhi kuch aur khaana hai to Ishimaa nahi bana sakti kya?"

"Uski koi zarurat nahi hai Aunty," Adi interjected. "I actually like Indian food. Especially if it's ghar ka khaana. Woh kya hai na, mom aur Ashok uncle ko nahi pasand yeh sab. Toh wahan chef bhi nahi banaata tha. Isiliye mom ko shaayad lagaa hoga ki mujhe nahi pasand. But I really like it. Especially this chole. Kisne banaya hai?"

"Maine banaya hai puttar!" Toshi announced. "Meri toh chole mein specialty hai. Sab ko bada pasand hai. Tere bua aur chachu to humesha chat kar jaate hai. Tujhe pasand hai to aur le na?" Toshi dropped spoonfuls of chole onto Adi's plate before he could answer. 

"Dadi, mujhe bhi!" Ruhi cried.

"Yeh leh puttar." Toshi added heaps of chole onto Ruhi's plate as well. "Adi, ab main na roz tere liye kuch na kuch banaati rahungi, ekdum swaadisht ghar ka khaana," she exclaimed. 

"Lekin haan beta," Raman spoke up, "Ishita aunty ke haath se khaate waqt thoda saavdhaan rehna. Jaise hi paneer mein sambhaar ya rasam ka taste aaye na, khade ho jaana."

The table erupted in laughter, while Raman earned a light smack on his shoulder. 

"Kya aap bhi?!" Ishita pouted.

"Agar khaana hi hai na, to iske haath ka palak paneer khaana. Tumhari Aunty kamaal ka paalak paneer banati hai." Raman turned to his wife, giving her a subtle wink. Ishita colored up in response, even as she glared at her husband, chiding him under her breath.

Their tiny exchange had gone unnoticed by the table. But Adi managed to pick up on their mannerisms. He had seen his father and stepmother bicker. And he had seen his mom and Ashok uncle fight. But while the former caused him to laugh and giggle, the latter forced him to break into a nervous sweat. It was beyond his understanding. He gulped and continued with his dinner.

Adi & Ruhi's bedroom - 10 pm

Adi stifled a yawn even as he forced his eyes to stay open. Ruhi and Shravu were now bouncing on his bed, celebrating their win in their latest connect four match on Rinki bua's tablet. Truth was, he had played horribly on purpose, just to hand them a victory so this would all end. He was exhausted. He just wanted to sleep. 

"One more match bhaiya!" Ruhi exclaimed.

Shravu reset the game and placed the tablet in the middle of the bed. 

Adi groaned aloud. "Aren't you feeling sleepy, Ruhi?" he asked. 

"Nope!"

She discussed her first move with Shravu, but before she could play it, a knock on the door interrupted them. It was her father and Bala chittappa.

"Come on Shravu. Ghar jaana hai na? Amma is waiting for us," Bala addressed his son.

"Nahi jaana hai Appa," Shravu pouted.

"I'm not asking son, I'm telling you. We're going home. Come on now."

Bala dragged his son outside as Ruhi played her first move on the game.

"Your turn Adi bhaiya." 

Adi yawned and blinked his eyes as he played his move.

"Ruhi, enough now," Raman said, picking up on Adi's tiredness. "It's time for bed for the two of you."

"One more game na papa, please?" she requested.

"Absolutely not. Go brush your teeth. Now."

As Ruhi stomped away to the bathroom, Raman stepped inside and sat beside Adi on the bed. 

"Adi, I need to talk to you," he began.

Adi's sleepiness momentarily vanished. He hated it when conversations began like that. It was never a good sign.

"What about?" he asked warily. 

Raman took a deep breath. Here goes nothing. "I want you to see a therapist."

"Wha-What? W-Why? Do you... Do you think something's wrong with me?" Adi's skin crawled at the insinuation and sweat beaded on his brow. Did this mean he wasn't good enough for his father either?

"No no beta, nothing is wrong with you!" Raman hugged his son with one arm, shooing away his suspicions. "Don't ever say that. Don't even think that. You are perfect exactly as you are."

Adi's eyes widened. He had never heard that before.

"Beta, I just want you to be the happiest version of yourself," Raman continued. "Visiting a therapist doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. It can be for anyone." He chewed his lip as he ordered his thoughts. "Beta, do you ever feel alone or have questions about your family? Do you feel like you want to talk to someone but you don't know who to talk to?"

Adi mulled over his father's questions, and slowly nodded. He had hit the nail on the head. 

"That's why I want you to talk to a therapist. She can answer questions that none of us can. And you can talk to her about anything you want. She'll help you figure out your answers and become happier."

Adi blinked. When his dad put it like this, it didn't sound half bad. 

"But papa-"

"Adi, just one appointment, please," Raman urged. "Go to one appointment and meet her once. After that, if you don't want to go back, then I won't force you."

One appointment... He could do that. Just one appointment.

"Okay dad. I'll meet her once," he conceded.

"Thanks beta."

Raman hugged his son close, rubbing his back in a gesture of comfort. They were off to a great start.

Bhalla House - Next day, Sunday, 4 pm

The front door clicked open and Romi stumbled in, followed by Adi and Ruhi, skin flushed from the heat, sweat dripping down their neck. They made a beeline to the kitchen, opening the fridge to grab bottles of cold water. As they downed the chilled water, Ishita arrived in the kitchen, surprised to see them home.

"Aa gaye tum log? How was the park?" she asked, as she retrieved a pressure cooker from the top cabinet. 

"It was hot!" Romi exclaimed in between gulps of cold water. "Main apne kamre mein jaa raha hoon, A/C ki hawa khaane." He grabbed a packet of chips from the pantry before he disappeared from the kitchen. 

"Aap logon ko kuch khaana hai?" Ishita asked the kids. "Abhi dinner mein waqt hai." She set the cooker on the counter and grabbed a handful of potatoes from the pantry.

"I'm good, Aunty," Adi answered.

"Mumma, mujhe strawberry milkshake chahiye," Ruhi demanded.

"Thik hai, aap log baitho, main lekar aati hoon." 

Adi and Ruhi ran to the living room and slumped down on the couch. Adi turned on the TV and browsed through the channels, skipping past the cartoons, much to Ruhi's dismay. 

"Adi bhaiya, stop! Keep it at that channel na please?" she pleaded.

"Just let me check the other channels Ru. There might be something cool, hold on." Adi continued skipping through the channels. 

Back in the kitchen, Ishita washed the potatoes and dropped them into the pressure cooker. She closed the lid of the cooker and set it on the stove, before retrieving strawberries, bananas, chocolate syrup, milk, and ice to make milkshakes.

She arrived in the living room ten minutes later with a tray of milkshakes, happy to see that Adi and Ruhi had finally agreed on a movie to watch. She handed Ruhi her strawberry milkshake and Adi his chocolate banana milkshake. 

"Aunty, I didn't ask for a milkshake though," he asked, brows furrowed in confusion.

"But you must be hungry beta. Itna khel ke aaye ho aap. Lo na." She urged him to take a sip. 

It wasn't until Adi took his first sip that he realized how hungry he truly was. 

"Thanks aunty," he replied sheepishly. 

"Aap dono milkshake piyo aur movie dekho. Dinner ready hoga to aap ko bula lungi," Ishita said.

She returned to the kitchen, counting the whistles of the pressure cooker, as she bent down to a lower cabinet to retrieve a wide steel bowl. She filled the bowl with wheat flour, but before she could grab a jug of water to knead some dough, she felt a snaking sensation around her waist. A hand clapped over her mouth before she could even react.

"Don't shout madrasan, it's me."

Her muscles relaxed when she realized it was her husband behind her, even as her eyes widened in shock. Apparently, he had snuck into the kitchen when she was bent down by the cabinet. She pushed his hand off her mouth, only for it to join its counterpart on her waist. 

"Raman! Aapko sharam nahi aati?!" she whisper-shouted, turning her head to meet his eyes behind her.

"Kis baat ki sharam?" Raman rested his chin on her shoulder. 

"Bacche wahin par hai. Unhone dekh liya toh kya sochenge?" She pointed to the couch in the living room. 

"Bacchon ka dhyaan movie mein hain. Idhar nahi dekhenge."

"To... agar koi aur aa gaya tab? Romi, Rinki, ya phir mummyji-"

"Romi apne kamre mein Netflix dekh raha hai. Rinki apne doston ke saath bahar gayi hai. Aur Mummy-Papa Simi ke ghar gaye hain. Aur kuch?" He raised his eyebrows at her. 

Ishita's mouth fell open but no words came out. She had no leg to stand on now. 

"Phir bhi, chodiye," she pleaded. 

"Kyun?" Raman snaked his hands further along her waist.

"Kyunki mujhe khana banana hai. Neelu ki aaj chutti hai. Aur mummyji bhi nahi hai. Toh agar aap madad nahi kar sakte to side mein khade rahiye. Mujhe distract mat kijiye. Ya phir jaayiye, bacchon ke saath baithiye."

"Kya yaar..." Raman lifted his chin off her shoulders and withdrew his arms. 

He came to stand beside her as she grabbed the jug of water and wet the flour. 

"Kya bana rahi ho?" he asked. 

"Aloo ke parathe. Kal ke chole pade hai to mummyji ne kaha tha ki uske saath aloo ke parathe sahi rahenge." She mixed the flour and water, steadily kneading it into a smooth dough, as the pressure cooker sounded with the final whistle. 

"Isme aloo hai?" Raman asked, pointing to the cooker. 

Ishita nodded. "Sitiyaan ho gayi hai. Aloo chil doge mere liye?"

"Haan haan, kyun nahi?"

Raman rolled up his sleeves and set to work. He opened the cooker and removed the boiled potato with a pair of tongs, peeling them one by one, as Ishita kneaded and rolled the dough. Once she was satisfied with the texture and consistency of the dough, she helped her husband prepare the potato filling, as he mashed the potatoes and she added the spices.

It took much longer than she expected, owing to her husband's 'help', but eventually, two hours later, a stack of hot parathas was ready. As Raman heated up the leftover chole, Ishita called Romi, Adi, and Ruhi for dinner.

Bhalla House - two hours later

"Papa, Aunty, I'm going to my room." Adi dropped his plate into the sink and washed his hands. 

"Okay beta. No worries," his father replied from the table as he finished his dinner.

Adi wiped his hands and escaped from the kitchen only to have his sister follow him. "Adi bhaiya, I'm coming too! We can play on Rinki bua's tablet like yesterday."

Adi sighed. He loved his sister to death, but sometimes she could be a bit annoying. Just a bit.

"Ruhi, I don't want to play today. I just wanna be alone for a while."

"But I want to play with you!" she insisted.

"Ruhi please yaar!" Adi had lost his patience now. "Just leave me alone na!" He stomped into his bedroom.

Ishita witnessed the entire interaction and she grew anxious, even as she stood up from the table and dropped her empty plate into the sink. Adi was getting angry, and she was getting worried.

"Bhaiya!" Ruhi screamed in irritation. But her brother was out of sight. She turned to her mother in annoyance. "Ishimaa, look at what bhaiya is saying!" Her eyes threatened to spill over with tears.

Ishita washed her hands and approached her daughter, crouching down to get to her level. "Adi bhaiya thak gaye hai baby. Unko abhi nahi khelna hai."

"Par mujhe khelna hai!" 

Ruhi stomped her foot and ran into her room, angry tears running down her cheeks. 

"Ruhi, wait! Adi bhaiya ko disturb mat karna!" Ishita stood up to follow her, but her husband stopped her.

"Stop Ishita, don't go after her." He stood up and deposited his plate into the sink. "Just help me clean up here."

"Raman, how can you say that? Adi's upset. And so is Ruhi. Ruthke baith jaayegi abhi. Agar baat badh gayi to?" 

"Madrasan, dono bacche hain. Choti-moti fights hona natural hai. Just give them a few minutes. We can check on them after we're done cleaning up. If they're still angry, then we'll talk to them."

Raman cleared the table of empty vessels and the bottles of pickle and yogurt, as Ishita washed the dishes. Even so, her nervous gaze kept wandering towards the kids' bedroom.

An excruciatingly long fifteen minutes later, once the kitchen and dining table were spotless, Ishita ran towards the kids' bedroom, her husband following close behind. But her worries immediately melted away at the sight that greeted her.

Adi and Ruhi wrestled on her bed, as Adi tickled his sister, causing her to laugh uncontrollably. 

"Okay... okay bhaiya..." Ruhi managed to say between squeals of laughter. "I'm... not... I'm not mad!" 

Eventually, Adi released her and fell back on the bed, joining his sister in her laughter. 

At the door of their bedroom, Raman gently elbowed his wife. "Kahan tha maine... They'll be fine," he said. Ishita nodded in response. 

"Everything okay here guys?" Raman asked his kids.

"We're good dad," Adi replied.

"Everything's fine papa," Ruhi said. 

Satisfied with their answer, Raman dragged his wife to their room.

"You need to stop worrying so much about Adi & Ruhi, madrasan," he told her as he closed the door behind him. "It was just a normal fight, like all siblings have. They can work out the small fights themselves. We'll only step in when it gets out of hand."

"You mean we should just let our kids fight? What if Ruhi says something that makes Adi mad? What if he feels angry or unwanted-"

"Oh my god, will you just stop talking for one minute?" He groaned and slumped down on the bed, pulling her down beside him. "You're never this worried when Ruhi and Shravu fight, are you? So why now?"

"Unki baat alag hai, Raman. Adi has just moved in. I don't want him feeling like we're not taking care of him. If he gets too annoyed or irritated then he may not like staying here."

"First of all, Adi is family, not a guest. We don't need to walk on eggshells around him. We'll try our best to keep him happy, but he's going to have tiffs with the people he lives with, especially his sister. It's how life works. Secondly, it's a good thing if Adi gets angry or irritated sometimes. He needs to feel free enough to show any emotion he wants. He shouldn't feel like he needs to censor himself more than necessary. Let him find his own place in this family and build his own relationships."

Ishita contemplated her husband's words, but she still wasn't convinced. Raman correctly read her expression. 

"Ab itna zyada soch mat. Dono bacche thik hai. Jao, tum change kar ke aao," he urged her.

Hesitantly, Ishita stood up, grabbed her nightwear, and headed to the bathroom, leaving her husband behind on the bed. Raman groaned in exhaustion and lied back on the bed, massaging his shoulder. The ache in his shoulder and upper back had been growing all evening. Looks like he had pulled a muscle during his stunt in the kitchen. He recalled the extra muscle he had added when he mashed the potatoes, choosing to do so with his bare hands even when Ishita had offered an ergonomic steel masher. 

"Kya zaroorat thi hero banne ki?" he chided himself. "Ab bhugto yeh sab."

The door to their room opened then, and Ishita walked in dressed in a loose black kurti and stretchy white leggings. She found her husband wincing in pain and twisting his back, muttering to himself. 

"Kya hua aapko?" she asked, as she joined him on the bed. "Back pain ho raha hai?" she guessed correctly. 

He nodded in response, eyes squinting in discomfort. That's when an idea struck her.

"Aap apni shirt utaariye," she said.

Raman's eyes widened in shock and his jaw dropped in pleasant surprise. "Kya baat hai madrasan... Tum to badi forward nikli. Direct pati ki shirt utarvaa rahi ho?"

Ishita gasped in realization. "Kya aap bhi!" She smacked his arm with the back of her hand. "Main sirf aapko back massage dena chahti hoon. Aur koi ideas mat layiye. Chup chaap shirt nikaal kar apne pet ke bal let jayiye."

Raman chuckled as he sat up and unbuttoned his shirt. No sooner had he peeled it off than Ishita realized what a big mistake it was. Her husband was shirtless in front of her. If she focused with tunneled vision, she could probably outline every glorious muscle on his torso. It took her a minute before she realized she was ogling him. Shamelessly. So much for her earlier scolding to him of being shameless. 

Raman turned around and lied down on his stomach, biting his lip to keep himself from smiling. His wife was affected by him. Just as much as he was by her. He saw her open the dresser drawer and retrieve a vial of balm. In the next moment, her fingers were on his back, spreading the balm all over his skin and kneading his muscles. The sensation simultaneously cooled the ache in his strained muscle and burned fire on his skin tingling every raw nerve ending. His wife's hands were pure magic. It took every ounce of self-control not to moan out loud. 

Ishita gulped and ignored the goosebumps on her skin, even as she rubbed the balm on her husband's back. She touched him everywhere, without any barrier of clothing, sending the butterflies in her stomach out of control. 

"Waise, aap ko back pe laga kaise?" she asked, desperate for a distraction. 

"Probably sprained a muscle when I was mashing the potatoes," he replied. 

"That's why I told you to use the potato masher. Admit it Raman, ab aap itne young nahi rahe," she teased.

Raman twisted his head to face her. "Don't challenge my youth, madrasan. You'll regret it." The threat sent chills down Ishita's spine. "Besides, I'm much better than you. Tumhari tarah nahi, paida hi budhi hui thi," he muttered, steering away from uncharted waters. 

"Aap se to bahot young hoon main," Ishita countered. 

"Oh really? Bhul gayi pichle hafte? Mujhse umar mein choti thi, phir bhi us Monica se date ka offer mil gaya. Use to yakeen hi nahi ho raha tha ki main shadi shuda hoon."

Ishita withdrew her fingers from his back and closed the vial of balm. Immediately, Raman regretted the loss of her touch. 

"Yeh lijiye, ho gaya aapka balm lagaa ke..." she muttered, annoyed at remembering that woman from the supermarket. "Aur agar aisi baat hai na, toh phir mere saath kabhi Chennai chaliye. Wahan mere college ke classmates milenge. Phir dekhte hai, kaun zyada young aur good-looking hai. Technically I was with Subbu throughout college, but I can guarantee at least a couple of boys would've found me attractive-"

The rest of her speech was lost, as she was pulled down by her hand, landing on her husband with a yelp. She hadn't noticed that during her monologue, he had turned over onto his back. Now she was laying on top of him, eyes locked, lips dangerously close. 

"Don't even joke about that," he gritted out. "I don't want to hear about you being with other men."

"Welcome to my world, husband," she replied, raising a knowing eyebrow. "You don't get to joke about other women either then."

His smoldering look, eyes glinting with possessiveness, and their dangerous positions, all caused a maelstrom of desire to churn in her gut. She leaned down, closed her eyes, and grazed her lips... at the corner of his mouth. Not a kiss, but a promise of one.

She withdrew slowly, pulling her head back, and lowered her eyelids in shyness. "I'll just... I'll just go wash my hands... There's balm on it..."

She crawled off her husband, escaping into the bathroom, leaving him behind to close his eyes and replay that interaction in his head, over and over again.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 49

***Major Harry Potter spoilers towards the end of this chapter. Read with discretion.

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Clinic, Ishita's office - Next day, Monday, 12 pm

Ishita returned to her office after a particularly long consult and dropped into her chair, groaning with frustration. Why couldn't patients just floss on time? It would save them so much trouble at their dental appointments. 

She sighed aloud and logged in on her computer to document the visit. It had been an interesting day. It started with one of her favorite patients, a little boy with the sweetest single mom who always brought along boxes of sweets and candies, much to the dental staff's dismay. 

She then had a meeting with Dr. Batra to discuss her yearly performance, for which she earned a substantial raise. In the same meeting, she had informed him of her plan to get involved in one of his research projects, but only on a consultation basis. She couldn't be involved as a partner until after things got less chaotic at home, i.e. after her sister got married, after her husband's Tokyo contract was done with, and after her stepson was more settled. 

The rest of the morning was spent dealing with a string of non-compliant patients, all of whom refused to floss but still blamed her for the pain and inflammation they endured during their dental cleaning and checkup.

She was halfway through her documentation when her phone chimed with a message. 

Mihika: Vandy akka and I will be there in ten. Can you take your lunch break now?

A lunch and gossip session with her sisters was a need of the hour. She had so much to vent about. Documentation could wait.

Ishita: Absolutely. I'll see you in the cafe in ten minutes. Can't wait to see you guys! 🤗

Mihika: ❤️😘

Batra Medical Center Café - 12:10 pm

"Ishu, we need to do something about this. Every time we make lunch plans, we have to come all the way to your clinic," Vandu complained. 

"I know Akka, but what can I do?" Ishita replied. "I can't leave the premises if I am on-call. What if an emergency comes up?"

The three sisters were seated on a round table, munching on their bagels and sandwiches. Ishita and Mihika had ordered a Mediterranean veggie and a grilled cheese sandwich respectively, while Vandu chose an avocado bagel, one of the few things she could handle owing to her weird pregnancy cravings.

"How is pregnancy treating you akka?" Ishita asked. "Morning sickness, cravings and all?"

"The nausea is better now. But my cravings are all over the place. I can't handle some of the simplest vegetables now." Vandu twisted in her seat, shifting her weight. Her baby bump was visible now and it took a minute for her to find a comfortable position.

"It did surprise me when you chose to put avocado on your bagel," Mihika commented. 

"But enough about me," Vandu bumped Mihika's knee with her own under the table. "How is our bride-to-be? Ready to get married?"

"I am, absolutely," she replied. "So excited, but I'm also nervous... Is that normal?"

Vandu laughed. "Completely normal. It's a big change in your life. Thoda sa nervous hona is fine."

"By the way, Amma is flying home tomorrow night," Mihika mentioned. "Her flight is coming in around 2 am. I'm going to go pick her up."

"Take Mihir with you then. Itni raat ko akele mat jaana," Vandu instructed. 

"Mihir nahi aa sakta Akka. He has to get up early the next day. He's trying to wrap up all loose ends at work before we get married and go on our honeymoon." Pink blush rose in Mihika's cheeks at that thought. 

"To ek kaam karte hai na, main aur Raman chale jaayenge unhe pick up karne," Ishita offered. "Agar Mihir tumhaare saath nahi aa sakta to tum akele mat jaao."

"Now that that's taken care of-" Vandu turned to face Mihika, "-You. Spill the beans. Where are you going for your honeymoon?" She wiggled her eyebrows teasing her sister.

"We're um... we're going to Goa," she confessed.

"That's so cool! There are so many activities you could do there like-" 

Before she could finish her thought, she suddenly gasped aloud, and her hands flew to her baby bump. The light, playful atmosphere turned worrisome at once. 

"Akka, is everything okay?" Ishita asked.

"Something wrong with the baby?" Mihika asked. 

Vandu softly pressed her palms against her baby bump, her mouth transforming into an 'o' in wonder. "I think... I think the baby just... kicked. For the first time."

As soon as she uttered the words, her sisters' faces transformed with pure, absolute joy. They scooched closer to Vandu and placed their hands on her belly. 

"Where? Where did the baby kick?" Mihika asked. 

Vandu gingerly guided her sisters' hands to the lower part of their belly. After a moment of silent wait, they felt a kick against their palms. 

"This is so incredible!" Mihika exclaimed. "Does it hurt Akka? When the baby kicks?"

"Not really. It feels like a 'swish' against my stomach. Kind of like... I mean... It's hard to describe baba. You'll know it when you feel it," Vandu replied.

"Uske liye to abhi bahot waqt hai Akka." Mihika leaned back on her chair, even as her hand remained on her sister's belly. "Mihir and I have decided we're not having kids until our careers are properly established."

The baby kicked again, and all the sisters erupted with joy. 

Even amongst the joy however, Ishita had a glimmer of tears coating her eyes. As happy as she was experiencing her niece or nephew's first kicks, she couldn't help but feel left out from Mihika and Vandu's conversation. She remembered Vandu's pregnancy with Shravu and how fascinated she was by it. She was much younger then, but she still dreamed of being pregnant and having a baby herself. 

But none of that would ever happen for her now. She would never feel her baby in her womb. She would never know what it would feel like to have her baby kick her for the first time. She was fulfilled beyond belief being Ruhi's mother and Adi's stepmother, but her heart still pinched at the thought.

"Akka, are you listening?" Mihika's voice cleared the fog in Ishita's head, and she was brought back to the present. 

"Hmm? Kya?"

"Kahan khoye huye ho aap?"

"Kahin nahi. Kya baat chal rahi thi?" Ishita slapped a smile on her lips and faced her sisters. But even as she blinked away the sheen of moisture on her eyes, Vandu caught the poignancy in her expression.

"Sorry Ishu," Vandu said. "Hum log bhi paagal hai. Pregnancy ki itni saare baatein karne lage aur tere baare mein socha hi nahi."

"No Akka! Please don't apologize!" Ishita said frantically. She wanted to smack herself for her carelessness. Why did she have to dampen the happy mood? "Mujhe bilkul bura nahi lagaa. Aap please aisa mat sochiye."

She managed to redirect the conversation to friendlier territory, but even so, the pinch in her heart refused to subside.

Bhalla House - next day, Tuesday, 11 pm

Raman switched off the lights in the kids' bedroom and closed the door behind him. Adi had fallen asleep hours ago, but putting his little girl to bed was a monumental task, made even more difficult by the double scoops of ice cream after dinner. And to think, summer vacation was only just beginning. 

He trudged up to his bedroom and groaned under his breath. His day was far from over. But as he arrived at the door of his bedroom, his eyes met with his wife in the dresser mirror and he forgot all exhaustion. She was dressed in a pink and blue suit, having changed from her earlier saree, as she braided her hair. He raised his eyebrows at her in a flirtatious manner, only for her to return the same expression. 

One look, dark room

Meant just for you

He sauntered towards his wife, eyes locked in the mirror, as he stopped right behind her. Their bodies weren't touching, but electricity crackled between them, air thick with tension. 

"What made you change into this?" he asked. She usually wore sarees for everyday wear, but kurtis and salwar suits suited her just as well. His eyes were proof enough; they were downright smoldering.

"Soumya Chitti ko itni late pick up karne jaana hai na, that's why I changed into something more comfortable," she answered.

"If you like salwar suits more then why do you wear sarees every day?"

"I like sarees for everyday wear. These kurtis are for certain occasions only." She tied her braid and flicked her hair back, setting her hair comb down on the dresser.

Time moved too fast

You play it back

"Kab nikalna hai humein airport ke liye?" she asked him.

"Abhi to sirf 11 baje hai. Chitti ki flight do baje aa rahi hai, to ek baje nikalte hai."

"To aap do ghante ka nap le lijiye na, itna drive karna hai to," she suggested.

"Nahi, abhi so jaaunga to phir subah tak nahi uthunga. It's better if I stay up instead," he said even as he sat down on the bed, stifling a yawn. "Tell me one thing... Why is your family so obsessed with doing things before the crack of dawn?" he asked her.

"Matlab?" She turned to glare at him.

"Yaad hai, hamari shaadi subah ke brahma murat mein huyi thi? Phir diwali ki pooja bhi suraj ugne se pehle rakhi thi. Samajh nahi aata tumhare parivaar mein insaan hai ki murge."

No sooner did he utter those words did a pillow come flying at him, which he caught in an expert fluid movement, chuckling as he did so.

Buttons on a coat

Light-hearted joke

"Ab do ghante hai humaare paas, to kya karna hai aapko?" she asked, changing the topic.

"Kahin chalte hai bahar. Coffee-chai kuch peete hai aur neend bhagaate hai," he suggested. "Ruko, main shirt change kar leta hoon." 

Without getting up from the bed, he began unbuttoning his shirt, peeling it off of his torso. He stood up to throw his shirt in the laundry hamper and opened their wardrobe to take out a black polo t-shirt. As he unfolded and wore the new t-shirt, it didn't escape his notice how his wife peered at him through the corner of her eye, zeroing in on his rippling muscles. 

"Are you ready to go?" he asked her, as he turned and approached the dresser mirror to brush his hair. It wasn't until he snapped his fingers in her face that he got an answer. 

"Yeah... I'm... I'm ready..." She cleared her throat and grabbed her purse, leaving the bedroom and making a beeline for the front door. 

Raman placed the hair brush down, pocketed his wallet, and followed suit. It wasn't much, but even from the simplest gestures and reactions from his wife, he could tell she was in the same boat as him.

No proof, not much

But you saw enough

Five minutes later, they were in their car, driving down the narrow streets, heading to their favorite coffee shop. 

"Main family group mein message kar deti hoon that we're going out." Ishita typed a message in their Whatsapp chat and pressed send. "I don't want Ruhi to wake up and start looking for us."

"She's not going to wake up, trust me. I put her to sleep really well," Raman drawled from the driver's seat. 

"You put her to sleep? What kind of a phrase is that? You sound like you've drugged my kid."

"I may as well have. She just would not go to sleep, holy crap," he groaned. 

"I told you the ice cream was a bad idea," she chuckled. "And that too double scoops."

"I thought she'd burn the sugar off before bed."

"Well, you thought wrong..."

Small talk, he drives

Coffee at midnight

He parked the car in front of French Flavor Coffee House, and they entered the coffee shop. 

"Yeh cafe kab tak khula rahega?" Ishita asked. "It's almost midnight."

"It's open till two am at least. Don't worry," Raman replied.

Even though the cafe was open, it was practically empty at this late hour on a weekday. They approached the counter and browsed the menu. 

"I'll have my usual black coffee," Raman said. "What will you have?"

"Kya humesha kadvi black coffee peete ho? Tabhi itna kadvaa swabhaav ho rakha hai aapka," Ishita teased.

"Accha madam? Then what do you suggest? Should I have 'diabetes in a cup' like you do?"

"You should actually. Tabhi zubaan par thodi sweetness aayegi."

"Fine, then what do you suggest?" he asked, turning to his wife. 

The light reflects

The chain on your neck

Ishita pointed to a new big banner at the top of the counter. It said: ☕️ TRY OUR NEW KULHAD COFFEE. AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY ☕️

"Kulhad mein coffee? Yeh to pehli baar sun raha hoon."

"Let's try it na then," Ishita suggested. 

"As you wish madam," Raman yielded.

He ordered two kulhad coffees and paid in cash. They moved from the order counter to the pick-up counter, and in doing so, their shoulders brushed with each other. A zap of electricity passed through, but neither of them moved away. 

He says, "Look up"

And your shoulders brush

No proof, one touch

But you felt enough

A couple minutes later, the barista handed them their coffees in small clay mugs. Rather than sit at a table or booth in the cafe, Raman guided Ishita out of the shop.

"Raman, hum kahan jaa rahe hai?" she asked. 

"Let's walk outside na. Baithe baithe neend aa jaayegi warna," Raman answered. "We'll bring these mugs back in an hour."

They left the cafe, mugs of piping hot coffee in their hands, walking on the sidewalk under the stars. Raman sipped on his coffee and intertwined the fingers of his free hand with Ishita's free hand. Even in the silence enveloping them, anyone could tell... They were in love. True love.

You can hear it in the silence, silence, you

You can feel it on the way home, way home, you

You can see it with the lights out, lights out

You are in love, true love

You are in love

"How is your Tokyo contract going?" Ishita asked, tightening her fingers around his.

"Well, we finally have the contract signed. So the deal is done. Work should begin soon. And it's going to be really hectic. Mihir is taking a month off. Two weeks for the wedding, and then two weeks for the honeymoon."

"I heard. They're going to Goa, right?"

"Yup. Speaking of which," Raman let go of her hand and placed his own hand on her lower back. "We never went on our own honeymoon, did we?"

"I don't think the opportunity ever presented itself," Ishita replied. "Our schedules are so busy after all."

"Then we should find the time for it," Raman suggested. He didn't want his marriage taking a back seat in the midst of the rest of their responsibilities. 

Morning, his place

Burnt toast, Sunday

"Are you saying... you want to go on a honeymoon with me?" Ishita asked, raising an eyebrow at her husband, even as her pulse went wild.

"Sure I do." Raman moved closer to his wife, tightening his arm around her back. "How bad could it be? Tu bol, kahan jaana hai tujhe?"

"Umm... We should go somewhere with a beach. Adi and Ruhi would love that."

"Ek minute..." Raman let go of his hold on her. "You don't think we're taking the kids with us, do you?"

"Why not Raman..."

"Come on madrasan," Raman clicked his tongue in disappointment. "Har baar kabab mein haddi daal deti hai tu..."

You keep his shirt

He keeps his word

Ishita mourned the loss of his touch on her back, as he stepped away, shaking his head. She could tell he was upset. But one-on-one intimacy with her husband was still new to her. Whether it was a consequence of her traditional upbringing or a lingering effect of the past heartbreak she had endured, she didn't know. But it manifested in the form of these roadblocks she unintentionally put up between herself and her husband.

She hadn't meant to, but she could tell he was hurt. And she had to do something about it. She had to learn to let go of her past fears and ghosts, so she could start anew with her husband. 

And for once, you let go

Of your fears and your ghosts

She walked forward and caught up to him. Balancing her coffee in one hand, she snaked her other hand around his free arm, pressing her chin into his shoulder. 

"Accha thik hai, aap naaraaz mat ho," she implored. "We'll go by ourselves. Without the kids."

"You really mean that?" he asked. 

"I do, really. Boliye kahaan jaana hai aapko?"

"You said you like beaches, right? Then we could go to the Bahamas." He imagined them swimming in the clear blue shores of the Atlantic islands.

"Itni dur!" Ishita shrieked. "We can't go that far away. Think somewhere closer to India."

"Europe is closer then. We could go skiing in the Swiss Alps." He visualized the beautiful scenery amongst the snow-capped mountains of Switzerland.

"Matlab aapko jaana India ke bahar hi hai na?" she asked. "Yahin paas ka socho na kuch. Jaise Kerala ke beaches, ya phir Kashmir ki waadiyan..."

One step, not much

But it said enough

They walked along the sidewalk, discussing -- or rather fighting -- about potential honeymoon destinations. Eventually, they turned around walking back hand in hand, until they arrived at their car again. Their clay mugs were empty of coffee, but their conversation seemed to never end. 

"Honestly, I don't care where we go," he continued. "As long as you're there with me." He leaned back against their car, stretching his arm over her shoulders, holding her close. 

"Accha? Mere lectures se thak nahi jaaoge?" she teased. 

"Madrasan, main tujhe lecture dene ka chance dunga hi nahi. You'll be occupied otherwise." He winked at her and pressed a kiss against her temple, causing her to gasp and blush furiously. 

You kiss on sidewalks

You fight and you talk

"By the way, aapko pata hai," she cleared her throat and continued, desperate to change the topic. "Kal Akka aur Miku mere clinic aaye the lunch ke liye. Aur Akka ke baby ne pehli baar kick kiya!" she exclaimed excitedly. 

"Seriously?! That's great news!" he replied. "Wait, how am I just finding out about this right now? Why didn't you tell me yesterday?"

"Akka told us not to. She wanted to tell Jeeju first."

"Fair enough." He sipped the last of his coffee and set the kulhad on the hood of the car. "I remember the first time Adi kicked. I was so excited, but Shagun hated it. She was so uncomfortable throughout the pregnancy. We both had such a sigh of relief when he was finally born-" 

A sudden glance at his wife told him how wrong he was to broach that subject. The forlorn look on her face caused his insides to twist painfully. 

One night he wakes

Strange look on his face

"Sorry yaar... Main bhi paagal hoon, na jaane kaun si baatein lekar baith gaya..." he muttered.

Ishita chided herself again. First her sisters, now her husband... How many people would she upset with her foolish insecurities?

"Aap please sorry mat boliye." She burrowed closer into his embrace. "I don't know what's gotten into me lately. Every time someone talks about pregnancy, I just..."

"It's okay madrasan, hota hai. Tum yeh baatein apne dil pe mat lena. I shouldn't have brought that stuff up. It's just so easy to talk to you. Every waking thought in my head comes flying out of my mouth, even the ones that shouldn't."

"Really?" she asked, her heart in her eyes.

"Really..." He paused and looked into her eyes. "I think you're my best friend, my favorite person."

"You're my best friend too, Raman. By a long shot." She stood up on her toes and kissed his cheek. 

Pauses, then says

You're my best friend

And you knew what it was

He is in love

They could have spent the entire night like that, standing in each other's arms, but alas... that was not to be. For Raman's phone chimed with an alarm telling him it was one am, and they had to leave for the airport soon. Ishita untangled herself from his arms and returned the clay kulhads to the cafe counter, as Raman turned on the car and warmed up the engine. He drove out of the parking lot after she returned, heading to the airport, even as he held her hand throughout the journey. They drove in complete silence, yet they knew... They were in love. True love.

You can hear it in the silence, silence, you

You can feel it on the way home, way home, you

You can see it with the lights out, lights out

You are in love, true love

https://youtu.be/EwMZ_BYoCpI

Rashid Psychiatry - two days later, Thursday, 24th April, 10 am

"Aditya Bhalla!" The receptionist called out his name and beckoned him into the inner office. 

Adi stood up and glanced at his father, still wary of meeting a psychiatrist. Raman placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly. 

"Just go talk to her beta. Don't hold anything back. Everything you tell her will stay between both of you. No one else will know," he assured him.

Adi took a deep breath and followed the receptionist into the doctor's office. The fact that everything he'd say would stay confidential eased his worries. He had spent a lifetime censoring himself, hiding his troubles, pushing them into a corner of his mind where he couldn't reach them himself. Maybe talking with this therapist might actually help. 

They reached the doctor's office, and she beckoned him inside. "Come on in, Aditya. Have a seat."

Adi gingerly sat down on the couch on the far end of the room, surveying the office. It wasn't a conventional clinical doctor's office. The room was painted in calm pastel colors, comfortable sofas and cushions being the only furniture around. The walls were decorated with paintings of beautiful scenery and soothing quotes. The therapist sat on the sofa opposite him, a wise old woman dressed in a long colorful tunic instead of the usual medical coat. 

"Hi Aditya, I'm Dr. Zoya Rashid. It's nice to meet you," she began.

"Hello doctor," he replied. 

"How are you doing?"

"I'm fine."

"Can you tell me a bit about yourself?"

"Um..." Adi hesitated.

Dr. Rashid peered at him with understanding and compassion. She had heard about Adi's troubles at length from both Bala and Raman; she expected this hesitancy. She had years of experience with kids and teens like him, and the hallmarks of anxiety were clear as day.

"Why don't we talk about something that interests you? We don't need to dive into uncomfortable topics right away," she suggested. "What's your favorite thing to talk about?"

"I love reading books," he said. "It's like being transported into a completely different world. I don't have to deal with the realities of my life when I read."

Their conversation meandered through the numerous books they had read, and naturally, they arrived at his favorite book series: Harry Potter. 

"I don't get it," Adi continued. "Harry should be everyone's favorite character. But people will dote on all the other side characters and ignore his struggles entirely."

"What do you mean?" she asked. 

"I mean... He's all alone for almost the entire series. He finally finds a father figure in Sirius Black and then he loses him too. But he still has the courage to keep fighting. He never gives up."

"Is that true for you as well Aditya? Do you relate to Harry?"

"I guess... Kind of maybe..." he confessed. "But I'm not as brave as him..."

"Why do you say that?"

"He has magical powers. It's not like he could be defeated."

Dr. Zoya smiled. She had been briefed on Adi's family situation, and in the few minutes she had known him, she could tell the loneliness he felt. If only he could be brave enough to let the love in.

"It wasn't his magic that made Harry undefeatable," she said. "It was love."

Adi gulped.

"Lily's love protected him throughout his life," she continued. "Harry's friends and their loyalty kept him safe against Voldemort. Even in the end, it was Narcissa's love for her son that protected Harry. The key was never powerful magic. It was always love."

"What does that mean?" Adi asked. 

"What I'm trying to say is that you're not as lonely as you think you are. You have love all around you. In fact, you're surrounded by it. All you have to do is let it all in, and you won't be lonely anymore."

Adi had no answer to that. He had spent the last five years building walls around his heart. They had begun breaking down, but they wouldn't crumble overnight. 

"Our time for this visit is ending now, Aditya," Dr. Zoya said. "Just think about what I've said. We'll talk more on our next visit."

Adi nodded and left the office, leaving Zoya Rashid behind in her office. She opened her laptop to document their appointment, even as her thoughts remained focused on the boy who had just left her office. She could tell they had a lot more to unpack. They hadn't talked about his parents' divorce, about the time he had lost with his father and his family, about his equation with his new stepmother. But they were off to a great start.

Adi arrived in the waiting room to find his father browsing through a magazine. As Raman saw his son approaching, he threw the magazine on a nearby table and stood up to greet him.

"How was it beta?" he asked nervously. He had promised he wouldn't force his son to a second visit against his will, but he hoped beyond hope he would agree to continue seeing the therapist. "Can I book a follow-up appointment?"

Adi mulled over his visit with the therapist. It wasn't as bad as he had imagined. He got to discuss his favorite books, analyzing his favorite fictional character. He could sense there were more intense conversations coming up, but somehow, he looked forward to them, instead of being scared of them.

"Yes dad, let's book the next appointment," he said, much to Raman's pleasure.

Bhalla House - 11:30 am

Raman keyed open the front door and guided his son in. His first appointment with the therapist had been a success, and Raman's spirits were sky-high. But as he toed his shoes off at the entrance of his house, he spotted a figure on the sofa and his spirits came crashing down. On the other hand, Adi's face brightened up with joy.

"Mom!" He threw his shoes off and ran to his mother, who stood up to embrace him. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too beta," Shagun replied, kissing him on the forehead. "Where were you beta? I was waiting for you for so long."

"I... um..." Adi hesitated. His mom wouldn't be happy knowing he was visiting a psychiatrist. "I just went out with dad for a bit. How are you doing?" 

As Adi chatted animatedly with his mother on the sofa, Raman walked over to the kitchen where his wife stirred a pot of daal, while Neelu washed and cooked a serving of rice. He pulled Ishita aside and whispered to her.

"How long has Shagun been here?" he asked. 

"Not long," Ishita replied. "Ten minutes max."

"Did she say something to you?"

"No, nothing unusual. I just gave her a cup of coffee and came back to help with lunch prep."

"Good. You tell me the minute she says something out of line, okay?"

"Okay," Ishita nodded. 

Meanwhile, Adi regaled Shagun with tales of his mischief with Ruhi and Shravu, of the various dishes his grandmother and Ishita aunty had fed him.

"And Ishita aunty makes the best aloo parathas! Mihir mama is a fan of them too," he said.

Shagun ground her teeth in a fit of pique. She wasn't going to let her son become another one of Ishita's minions. 

"So you think Isheeta is that nice, huh?" she asked. 

"I guess..." Adi answered. "I mean she's not as bad as we thought, mom."

"It's all a ruse, Adi. A farce. That's how stepmothers are. They pretend to care, but in reality, they'd be happy to throw you out at the first chance."

Adi blanched at his mother's words. "N-No mom... That can't be true..."

"That is the truth, Adi," she insisted. "You haven't even been here a week. Of course you don't know her real face. Why do you think I'm coming here to check on you? I want to make sure she's treating you right. No one truly cares for you here. It's only the two of us for each other. We have to look out for each other, right?"

"Yes mom." Adi's words agreed with his mother, but his heart screamed in denial. 

"Beta, I have to leave for an event soon," Shagun said. "But please remember what I've said. Don't get fooled by this woman's false pretenses."

Shagun left five minutes later, after hasty goodbyes to everyone else. Soon, lunch was served and everyone settled around the dining table. 

"Adi beta, aaj Romi chachu ki farmaish pe tadka dal aur jeera rice banaya hai. Aur saath mein dadi ke haath ke kulche bhi hai," Ishita said to her stepson. "Tum try karke batao kaisa hai."

As Ishita poured scoops of daal into a bowl and served Adi, he couldn't fathom what his mother had said could be true. Warmth and affection radiated from Ishita in waves, more than he had ever expected from his own mother, much less his stepmother. But what if it truly was a farce? Because no one could be this good. No one could be this kind. As he chewed on spoonfuls of rice, his mind once again warred with his heart. 

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

Both the parts were really very good and interesting please update next part soon