Frequent Posters

Divyalingaraju thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

A very nice and amazing update please update next part soon 

-RKB- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Wonderful Update.... You described each and every part of this update beautifully..

Mani should know his limit ..poking his nose on husband and wife matters.. 

Loved Ruhi ..how she's taking care of ishita  and this seen was my favorite. 

I can say that it's worth waiting update.. 

Hoping you'll come with next part  very soon ...as you promised 2or3 at once.. 

Edited by -RKB- - 1 years ago
Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 45

Central Plaza Shopping Complex - three days later, Sunday, April 6th, 10 am

"All right, listen up everyone!" Mihir faced the herd of Bhallas and Iyers and clapped his hands to get their attention. "Our wedding venue has been booked for May 19th at the Celestial Estate. But we have other vendors to book now, like catering, flowers, decorations, jewelry, clothes, and all that. All the vendors that we've chosen are in this complex only. We'll divide up the responsibilities and then meet up here in... two hours?"

The entire Bhalla-Iyer clan had gathered here at the Central Plaza Shopping Complex this fine morning to get the wheels turning on Mihir and Mihika's wedding preparations. They had just left their cars and formed a group in the parking lot listening to Mihir's instructions for the third time this morning. The bride and groom had already booked the wedding venue of their choice and had bought the wedding bands they wanted; the rest of the responsibilities had been divided up between all of the adults. 

"Mihir, tum yeh sab aaj ke din mein teen baar bataa chuke ho," Ishita said. "Hum sab ko apni responsibility yaad hai. Shaadi ki saari taiyyari time par ho jaayengi. Itni chinta mat karo."

"I know bhabhi, I know..." Mihir rubbed his hands nervously. "I'm just so excited!"

"Ab isse pehle yeh bol-bolke humaare kaan khaa jaaye," Raman interjected, "main isse lekar chalta hoon. Chalo sab! Apne apne kaam par lag jaao!"

The group dispersed at Raman's behest and everyone set to work. Raman dragged Mihir to the caterers' while Romi and Omprakash set along to book the DJ and get the wedding cards printed. Vishwa and Bala were in charge of booking the decorators and flower vendors, provided they stuck with the wedding theme that Mihika had decided. 

Meanwhile, Toshi and Madhu took the bride-to-be shopping for her wedding outfit, already debating on whether Mihika should dress as a Tamilian or a Punjabi bride. Lastly, Vandu and Ishita were in charge of buying wedding jewelry for the bride and groom.

It was going to be a long day of errands and chores. Luckily, Vandu and Ishita had the foresight to leave Shravu and Ruhi at Simi's place. Rinki had stayed back to help Simi babysit, knowing from experience that no one could handle Shravu, Ruhi, and Ananya all at once.

"Do you have the catalog with you, Ishu?" Vandu asked as they entered the jewelry shop. "If we buy anything that is even remotely different from what Miku chose, she'll have our heads on a platter."

"Don't worry Akka," Ishita replied. "I've got it in my purse." Mihika and Mihir had already chosen the accessories they wanted from the catalog. It was Ishita and Vandu's responsibility to simply buy them.

"Hello madam, how can I help you?" A store associate welcomed them.

"We're here to buy jewelry for our sister's wedding," Ishita explained. "We selected everything in your store catalog." She retrieved the catalog from her purse. "We just need to place our order for everything."

"Sure madam, please follow me."

When they were ready to pay the bill, Ishita removed her checkbook from her purse and clicked her pen.

"Kitna hua bhai sahab? Main check likh deti hu," Ishita said. She, Vandu, and her parents had saved up enough money over the years for Mihika's education and wedding.

"Your bill has been paid, madam," the salesman replied. "And here is your change." He handed her 5,000 rupees.

"What? Akka, when did you-"

"Maine bill pay nahi kiya!" Vandu exclaimed. "Dekhiye, aap se koi galti hui hai. Humne abhi tak pay nahi kiya."

"No ma'am, actually a certain 'Raman Bhalla' has pre-paid the bill on behalf of the Arora-Iyer wedding party. He wired the money yesterday and told us to give you whatever balance is remaining. And this is what we owe you. 5,000 rupees."

The salesman slided the rupee notes across the counter. 

"Wait wait, how did he... Why didn't he tell me...?" Ishita wondered under her breath.

"Ishu.... I am impressed." Vandu poked her sister with her elbow. "Your husband is from a completely different breed of men..." she sighed, dreamily. "Ek kaam kar, apne liye bhi kuch khareed le. Tera pati sab kuch pay kar dega." She bumped Ishita with her hip and winked at her.

Ishita was still speechless. It was such a thoughtful gesture. But she still didn't understand why he didn't just tell her that he'd paid the bill. 

When the group finally met up at noon, they all listed off tasks from the to-do list, updating each other on what was done and what was not. Meanwhile, Ishita itched to talk to her husband.

"Okay, matlab decorator, caterer, phool wala, DJ wala, aur gehno ka kaam to ho gaya." Madhu ticked off each item from the to-do list. "Mihika ki shaadi ka joda bhi aa gaya. Ab bache sirf kapde aur gifts."

"Ab kaunse kapde aur gifts?" Raman asked.

"Hum ladki walo ki taraf se Mihir ke liye kuch naye kapde aur gifts leni hai. Uski baat kar rahi hoon," Madhu explained.

"Aur humein bhi Mihika ke liye saree vagera khareedna hai. Dulhan ko gift dene ke liye," Toshi reminded.

"To ek kaam karte hai Toshiji," Omprakash suggested. "Vandu aur Mihika ko ghar bhej dete hai abhi. Shaadi ka joda aur saare gehne ko sabse pehle sambhaal ke rakhna zaroori hai. Phir hum log saare kapdo ki shopping karne chalte hai. Kyun Iyer sahab? Sahi rahega na?"

"Haan Bhalla ji. Yeh thik rahega."

While the elders discussed the rest of the wedding prep, Ishita pulled Raman aside for a quick chat.

"Raman, ek baat puchu?" she asked.

"Haa bol."

"Why did you pre-pay the bill for the jewelry? And why didn' you tell me?"

Raman sighed. He knew this was coming. "I tried to tell you yesterday, madrasan. But you were always surrounded by Amma or Appa, making the guest list or a shopping list for the wedding. You were busy with one thing after another. Then at night, you were with Ruhi putting her to sleep. By the time you came back, I guess I fell asleep."

"Then answer me now. Why did you do this?"

"Listen, it's not a big deal, okay? I just wanted to lower the expenses for Amma and Appa a bit. They were insisting on paying for everything themselves. It took so much for Maa and Papa to convince them to share some expenses with them. But even then, they refused to let us pay for the actual wedding event."

"That's their right, Raman. Amma and Appa have dreamed of watching all three of us get married. Vandu akka's wedding was so grand, but ours was rushed because of Ruhi's custody trial looming. Mihika's wedding is the last one in our family from our generation. They just want it to be as grand as possible."

"I get that Ishita. They can have the wedding as elaborate as they want. But I don't want them stressing about the expenses by themselves. Not when I can easily afford it all." 

"You've done enough, Raman. You picked out all these vendors and got such great discounts for Amma and Appa. You've literally saved them thousands."

"I'm just doing everything I can to help them. You know they won't accept anything from their son-in-law directly. That's why I paid like this. Just let me do this, okay? It will help them out."

Ishita knew her husband by now. His tendency to work behind the scenes, working silently for everyone, never taking credit. But it still astonished her.

"Raman, ek aur baat bolu?"

"Maine mana kiya to tum chup thodi rahogi? Yeh bhi bol do."

"Aap is duniya ke sabse best damaad hai." 

Ishita snaked her hands around his arm and pressed her cheek into his shoulder, warmth rushing through her body. 

His wife was so close that Raman was overcome by the urge to hug her tight and kiss her senseless. But some vestige of decorum screamed at him that they were in public, surrounded by their family. It was a miracle no one had noticed them yet.

"Madrasan..." he whispered. "Sab hai yahan par..."

Her eyes widened in shock and she stepped back. What had come over her? This was completely unlike her usual demeanor. She used to disapprove of any public display of affection between couples, even when she was in a relationship with Subbu. And now, she was engaging in PDA herself. Praanth Ishita. What is wrong with you?

"Ishu! Look who's here!" Madhu's voice broke their tiny bubble. As they turned towards the group, Raman's smile dropped. 

"Mani? What are you doing here?" Ishita asked. 

Yes, Mani. What are you doing here? Raman thought. Does this guy just teleport to wherever 'Ishu' is?

"I came here for some clothes, and I saw Madhu Aunty on my way in," Mani explained. "Shopping for Mihika's wedding huh?"

"Yeah, abhi se taiyyari chalu karenge to time par shaadi ho paayegi."

"Waise Aunty bata rahi thi ki aap logon ko kapdo ki shopping karni hai? Come with me then. I know the shop owner. He can get you guys really great discounts."

"What say, Raman?" Ishita turned to her husband. "Wahin pe chalte hai. Accha discount bhi mil jaayega."

It was on the tip of his tongue to say no. To say that he could find a better place for his in-laws to shop at a much better rate. But even he knew he couldn't do that. 

"Chaliye," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. 

.....................................................................................................................

Two hours later

Madhu, Vishwa, Toshi, and Omprakash stacked their shopping bags in the trunk of Raman's car. Thanks to Mani's excellent negotiation skills, they bought every top brand at almost half-price. Consequently, Madhu had raved on and on about Mani's greatness, much to Raman's annoyance. 

"I can't thank you enough Mani!" Madhu said for the nth time. "You've been so helpful!"

"Enough Aunty, enough..." Mani chuckled. "Itna bhi sharminda mat kijiye. Yeh to mera farz tha."

"Accha, ab suno, tumhe humaare ghar par fir se khaana khaane aana hoga, thik hai? Main naa nahi sunungi!"

"Zaroor Aunty, jald hi program banate hai."

Once the trunk was loaded, Omprakash closed it shut.

"Raman, main aur Toshiji Ishita ke Amma-Appa ke saath taxi mein ghar jaa rahe hai. Tum sab gaadi lekar aa jaana piche piche. Aur saara saamaan sambhal kar le aana, thik hai?" Omprakash instructed.

"Jee papa," Raman answered.

Both sets of parents boarded the taxi and took off. 

"Bahot acche se sab kuch ho gaya," Vishwa sighed in relief.

"Sab kuch humnein saath mein mil baat kar kiya to pata hi nahi chala ki saara kaam kitni jaldi ho gaya!" Omprakash exclaimed.

"All thanks to Raman," Madhu said. "He's been so helpful in all of this. Getting the right vendors, getting us all these discounts... Warna mujhe to itna tension ho jaata..."

Madhu hummed in contentment. She was truly lucky to have Raman as a son-in-law. Very few men had the compassion and foresight as him. Slowly, she was getting comfortable with him as well. Comfortable enough to accept his service and his help without feeling indebted to him. Comfortable as a mother is with her son.

Suddenly, a question arose in Vishwa's mind, a question he'd been plagued with for a while.

"Waise Madhu, waha shop mein tum Mani ki kuch zyada hi taareef nahi kar rahi thi?" Vishwa asked, as the driver weaved the taxi through traffic. His wife was kind, yes, but this was beyond her usual hospitality. "Kya ho gaya tha tumhe?"

"Vishwa, mujhe kuch nahi hua. Mujhe bas Mani ko comfortable feel karwana hai. He's lost his sister and his brother-in-law; his niece and nephew are orphans; and he's all alone raising two kids in a new country. I can't imagine how alone he must be."

"Baap re, bichara ladka," Toshi commented.

"Isiliye main usse itne pyaar se baat karti hoon," Madhu explained. 

"Still, you should tone it down a bit," Vishwa suggested. "Tumhari muh se itni pyaari baatein hazam nahi hoti," he chuckled.

"Kya bola tumne?! Tum ghar chalo. Phir baat karte hain."

Back at the shopping complex, Raman was ready to go home. The day had started off well, but this damn Mani had to drop in and ruin his mood. Between Mani's constant efforts to talk to his wife and his mother-in-law's incessant praises for him, the entire atmosphere around him had turned sour. Even now, Mani had struck up a conversation with Ishita about her dental practice. 

"Ab ghar chale sab?!" he asked impatiently, eager to go home.

"Chaliye bhai," Mihir replied.

"Ek minute, ab yeh Romi kahan chala gaya?" he asked.

"I think woh corner pe kisi electronics ke store mein hai. Use video games ke latest models dekhne the. Main use lekar aati hoon," Ishita said.

Ishita walked away to look for her brother-in-law leaving behind Raman, Mihir, and Mani, air thickening with tension.

"Umm.... Ishita was just telling me about her dental work," Mani said, trying to break the silence. "Sounds impressive."

"She is," Raman replied. He could probably write novels about how proud he was of his wife but as always, words failed him.

"Not only that, bhabhi also takes care of the family and Ruhi. Truly impressive how she balances between work and family," Mihir said.

Mani chewed on his lip. Ishita did so much for this family. And her husband couldn't even spare a few words to appreciate her.

Raman was getting impatient. "Kahan reh gayi yeh madrasan?" he muttered.

"Main dekh kar aata hoon," Mihir said.

But before he could turn and saunter off, two figures approached them... and Raman realized that his day was about to get a lot worse.

"Well well well... If it isn't the great Raman Bhalla," Ashok drawled. "Hi Abhimanyu, nice to see you again." He shook Mani's hand. 

"Hello Ashok, what brings you here?" Mani asked. 

"I was in town for a meeting with a client. This is Mr. Neeraj Oberoi." Ashok introduced his middle-aged rotund partner.

"Abhimanyu Raghav." Mani shook his hand. 

Raman and Mihir exchanged glances, their eyes darkening with disgust. They'd absolutely heard of Neeraj Oberoi. Multiple harassment claims, sexual assault allegations, and just a general air of indecency and vulgarity followed him wherever he went. Thankfully, they were fortunate enough to have never come across him, but it looked like their luck had run out today. 

As Mani finished his introduction to the two men, his phone rang and he excused himself to attend the call, leaving Raman and Mihir alone with the two leeches.

"Hey Mihir," Oberoi turned his attention to him. "I heard you're getting married, huh? Kabhi humein bhi apni hone wali patni se milwao," he drawled lasciviously.

Over my dead body, Mihir thought. He knew his feisty Mihika could hold her own in any situation. Still, it would be a cold day in hell before he subjected his fianceé to the likes of Ashok and Neeraj. 

"She's not available, sorry," Mihir gritted out.

"My bad luck I suppose..." Oberoi stumbled on his feet. Was he drunk? At two in the afternoon? "Raman, don't you have a newly wedded wife?" he asked. "Is she available?

Raman's skin prickled at the insinuation in his voice, detecting an undertone of something offensive.

"Watch yourself," he hissed, his tone deadly in warning. 

"Come on man. You can't blame me for my curiosity," Oberoi laughed haughtily. "You got married a second time. Now who would subject themselves to that misery unless she was really attractive? She must really be something huh? Makes your nights much more interesting... I'd love to-"

Before he could finish his filthy thought out loud, Raman shot out his fist, eyes red with rage and disgust. His fist hit Oberoi smack in the nose and he landed unceremoniously on his behind, bleeding from his nose.

"What the hell Raman?!" Ashok lifted his client up, helping him dust the sand off his pants. "How dare you? He's my client!"

By now, Mani had jogged back, hanging up his call after witnessing Raman's punch. "Raman, what did you do?!"

Raman paid him no heed, his attention focused on the uncouth, vile man in front of him. He grabbed his collar and tugged hard, causing Oberoi to stumble forward even as blood drained from his nose. 

"Saale kamine!" Raman gritted out, voice shaking with undisguised fury. "If you ever speak of my wife like that, I'll kill you. If you even think of her, I'll bury you alive. Zinda gaad dunga tumhe saale!" 

"Let... me... go..." Oberoi croaked, prying Raman's fingers off his collar. When Raman finally let him go, he stumbled back, coughing and struggling for air.

"This is unacceptable, Raman!" Ashok cried out. "I'll have you arrested for this!"

Raman straightened his shirt, pushing his volcanic rage into a corner to let his sharp mind take control. "Go ahead, Ashok. Be my guest. I'd like to see who takes your disgusting client seriously. His credibility is shot, and you yourself have been to prison. Who is going to take his word over mine?"

"Come on Bhai," Mihir suggested, abhorring the men in front of them. "Let's get out of here. We'll pick up Romi and Bhabhi from the store around the corner."

Raman and Mihir got into their car and the former sped it towards the electronic store. The car skidded to a stop at the entrance, only for them to find Romi at the door, Ishita nowhere in sight.

"Romi! What the hell is taking you guys so long?!" Raman shouted. "And where's Ishita?!"

"She's inside bhai. She's in line for the cash register. I asked her to buy a video game for me," Romi replied.

Raman was still fuming from his interaction with Oberoi, and he rained his frustration on his brother in front of him.

"What is wrong with you Romi?! Bacche ho kya tum? Is umar mein video games ki zid kar rahe ho! Akal-wakal hain ki nahin tumhe?!"

Romi stood silently.

"Ab chup kyun hai? Muh mein dahi jamaa hua hai?!"

Romi gulped. "Um... Bhai, I didn't want any video game... I sent bhabhi inside on purpose."

"And why's that?"

Flashback starts from ten minutes ago

"Romi, kahan reh gaye tum?" Ishita found Romi in the speakers and headphones aisle of the store. She tapped Romi's shoulder and he turned around. "Sab log tumhara intezaar kar rahe hai. Ghar nahin jaana?"

Romi set down the pair of headphones and faced his bhabhi, sheepishly running a hand through his hair. "Sorry bhabhi. I was just browsing around and lost track of time. Let's go."

As they made to leave the store, Romi glanced out the window and frowned at the sight around the corner. His brothers were stuck talking to two lecherous men, one of them being Neeraj Oberoi. He knew his reputation very well. If a woman was around, he always had something nasty to say about her. No way was he letting his bhabhi anywhere near him. So he implemented the first idea that occurred to him to keep her away.

He grabbed the first video game in the adjacent aisle and shoved it into Ishita's hands. "Bhabhi! Can you buy this video game for me? I forgot my wallet at home."

"Seriously Romi? Right now? We're getting late!" Ishita huffed, exasperated. 

"Please bhabhi? Pleeeease?" he begged.

Ishita sighed. "Fine. I'll go buy it. Par agar late huye to Raman ko tum jawaab dena," she warned. 

As Ishita joined the line for the cash register, Romi stepped outside to keep a watch on the scene. He saw Raman punch Oberoi and everything thereafter, knowing immediately that he must've said something nasty about Ishita. He sent a silent thanks to the gods above for keeping his bhabhi from bearing witness to such a nasty sight.

Flashback ends

Raman's eyes widened in surprise and regret as Romi finished his recount of the event.

"Sorry bhai, aapko paanch hazaar ka nuksaan ho gaya," Romi chuckled, making light of the situation.

"Uski chinta mat kar beta," Raman replied. "Teri bhabhi ne woh sab nahi dekha woh acchi baat hai. Sorry yaar... Tujh pe bina baat ke chilla diya."

"Koi baat nahi bhai... Yeh to chalta rehta hai..."

"Thanks for protecting her." Sincerity dripped from Raman's voice.

"Come on bhai, yeh to mera farz tha." Romi smiled.

Just then, the door chimed open and Ishita rushed out with a shopping bag in her hand. She shoved it into Romi's hand.

"Yeh lo tumhari video game. Ek to itni lambi line thi, upar se tumne video game bhi itna mehenga choose kiya!" she ranted.

"Both of you, get in the car." Raman's patience was reaching his end. "We're going home."

Ishita reared back in surprise as she realized the car in front of her was her own. "Raman, aap kab aaye?"

"Sawaal mat pucho. Just get in the car."

Quietly but quickly, Romi and Ishita got into the car and Raman drove out of the complex. Ishita easily sensed the tension in the air. Romi and Mihir were awfully quiet, their posture stiff. Even from the back seat, she could see the hard set of Raman's jaw, as if he was clenching his teeth. His knuckles were white from the tightness with which he gripped the steering wheel. 

"Is everything okay, guys?" she asked tentatively. 

"Everything's fine bhabhi," Mihir answered as he met her eyes in the rear-view mirror. 

Ishita didn't believe him. Her gaze returned to Raman. It was only then when she noticed something on his knuckles. Something like... blood.

"Raman!" she cried out, leaning forward in her seat. "Aapke haath ko kya hua?!"

Raman shook his hand and wiped the blood off on his pants. "Kuch nahi."

"Aise kaise kuch nahi hua? There's blood on your hand!" She was growing frantic, distraught at seeing him in pain. "Stop the car. I need to bandage it!" 

"I'm fine, Ishita," he insisted. "It's not my blood."

"What? Then whose blood is it? What happened in my absence?"

Raman, Mihir, and Romi looked at each other, exchanging worrisome glances. Ishita needed an explanation. But no one wanted to tell her the ugly truth. She didn't deserve to be burdened with something that disgusting.

"I punched a guy," Raman deadpanned.

"What?" Ishita's eyes popped out of her head.

"Bhabhi," Mihir interrupted, "we ran into a guy while you were gone. He said something really nasty. Bhai had no choice." 

"Wha- What did he-"

"Please don't ask us anything else," Mihir said before Ishita could finish her question. "You don't want to know. Just trust us."

Ishita met Raman's eyes in the rear-view mirror, and he nodded, mirroring Mihir's thoughts. She sunk back into her seat and contemplated what Mihir had said. She trusted Romi and Mihir as her own brothers. And she trusted Raman more than herself. Whatever may have happened, she knew there was nothing to worry about now.

.....................................................................................................................

Back at the shopping complex

Oberoi sat in his car with the door open, tilting his head back as he pressed an ice cube against his nose. The nosebleed was almost gone but his eyes stung with embarrassment. 

"I'm going to kill that guy," he muttered. "How dare he..."

"I'd advise against that."

Oberoi turned his head and saw Mani standing by the open car door, his arms crossed against his chest, disapproval etched on his face. 

"And why's that?" Ashok asked as he approached them. A bottle of painkillers rattled in his hand, which he had gone to retrieve from his car for his client.

"Because I don't think your client was an innocent victim. I may not have heard what happened before Raman punched him, but I doubt your client was a complete gentleman. You may not want to explain the why to the police."

Ashok fumed. He was infuriated, but he wasn't stupid. Going to the police would be a waste considering how infamous his client was.

"I'll take your leave now," Mani said. "And here's another piece of advice. Don't have any painkillers right now. I can smell the alcohol in your breath. Advil and alcohol don't go together."

Mani stomped away and proceeded to his car. He had said his piece and he could only hope it worked. If Oberoi and Ashok decided to pursue legal charges against Raman, it would create massive upheaval in Ishita's life. That was the only reason he had stayed back to diffuse the situation. But for Raman, he couldn't care less.

He groaned aloud as he got into the driver's seat of his car and slammed the door shut. This Raman was a piece of work. Punching a man out cold? In broad daylight? In public? What the hell was he thinking?! Granted, he might have had a good reason, but it was against the damn law. Whatever Oberoi may have said, violence was never the answer. The simple fact that he could be so volatile... What if... What if one day he unloaded his anger on Ishita like that? 

He shuddered from the thought. He'd seen Raman's behavior already. His angry taunts, his constant jibes, and his fights with Ishu. How far of a leap was it from verbal to physical? He had to do something. He needed to protect Ishu.

Raman's Office - next day, Monday, 9:30 am

"All right, that works for me Mr. Takahashi." Raman drummed his fingers on the desk, eager to end the conference call with the potential clients from Tokyo. "You guys can discuss with the board of directors and then contact me."

"Okay Mr. Bhalla. We'll be in touch shortly. Good-bye."

Raman minimized his Microsoft Teams window and grumbled aloud. He had been dealing with these clients for a month now but they were still on the fence about the contract. No amount of negotiations or revised proposals seemed to convince them. But Raman entertained their every demand regardless. These Japanese clients were huge; they were practically rolling in money. And apart from the profit, this contract would launch his company into the international leagues. 

He rubbed his eyes and leaned back, gazing at the screensaver on his laptop. And he smiled. It was a picture of his wife and daughter. Ishita and Ruhi sat on the bed in their night clothes, Ishita's knees bent and Ruhi leaning against her. Their heads bumped against each other, as Ishita smiled and Ruhi pouted for the camera.

The incident from yesterday had been all but forgotten. Mihir had been prompt about straightening everything out with Pathak, making sure that if a police complaint were made, it wouldn't go anywhere. And Pathak wasn't worried. It was unlikely that Oberoi would actually make a complaint, considering his reputation. And even if he did, he could easily defend Raman. Oberoi had been the aggressor, and Raman had simply acted in defense of his wife. 

But what stayed in Raman's mind was the aftermath of the situation. How Ishita had recognized the storm in his eyes and lulled him to sleep that night. She had held him close and regaled him with tales of the weirdest patients (both adult and pediatric) that she had come across. In the laughter evoked by his wife, it didn't take him long to forget the afternoon's incident. 

But even though he had forgotten and moved on, he didn't forget one thing. His subsequent decision to get Adi out of the Khanna Mansion. He could now see what kind of people Ashok was involved with. And Adi lived in that house. Thankfully, he was protected as of yet. But if he ever came in touch with men like these... how would it affect his impressionable mind? Raman couldn't risk it. He had to get his son out of there as soon as possible. 

He glanced at the wall clock: nine-thirty. He was supposed to have an appointment soon. He opened his diary to check who it was with. And his mood turned sour. Written in his secretary's scrawl was: 9:30 am - appt w/ Abhimanyu Raghav.

What the heck?! What did this guy want now? Unfortunately he didn't have much time to think as a knock on the door signaled the arrival of said man. 

"Good morning, Raman." Mani's voice was low and steady.

"Come, have a seat." Raman invited him in even though his instinct was to send him on his way out. "What's this appointment for?" he asked instead.

"I wanted to talk." Mani took a seat in the chair in front of him, as Raman shut his laptop. "It's about Ishu."

Raman's eyes shot up in attention. "What about her?"

Mani opened his mouth, but no words fell out. Speak up, Mani. Speak up for Ishu.

"Why did you marry her?" he asked. 

"Excuse me?" 

"You heard me Raman. Why did you marry Ishu?"

"You better tread carefully, Mani. You have no right to ask me this question," Raman hissed in a calm, measured voice.

"I am asking as Ishita's friend, as her advocate. Someone has to look out for her."

Raman leaned forward and perched his elbows on his desk. His face was neutral, even as a storm stirred within.

"And you think her husband isn't looking out for her?"

"I think her husband is too blind to see that she deserves better," Mani spat. "I know how you guys got married, Raman. Just for Ruhi, right? You married her so you could get custody of your daughter. Well, you got what you want. But was it fair for Ishu? What did she get?"

"First of all, Ruhi isn't just my daughter. She's Ishita's daughter as well. More so even," Raman pointed out.

Ishita's words from the other day came ringing back in Mani's ears. I just meant that Ruhi jitni Raman ki beti hai, utni hi meri beti hai. Shaayad usse zyada.

"Second of all, if you're so worried about Ishu not getting what she wants from this marriage, then why haven't you asked her?" Raman continued. "She'll tell you herself how happy she is." 

"You really think so? When has Ishita ever complained about something bothering her? About anything unfair in her life? She's the kind to silently deal with anything sent her way. Yes, she'll fight like a tigress for the people she loves, but not for herself."

His madrasan was truly a fierce tigress, Raman thought. But he couldn't agree that she didn't fight for herself. He recalled every single time he'd butted heads with her. Every time she'd stood up to him and fought. Every time she'd held her ground against Shagun. 

"Raman, I'm sorry to say this," Mani continued, "but you're not a good husband. At least not for her. I've seen the way you taunt her. I've seen how angry you get at her. Just the other day, she twisted her ankle and you yelled at her as if she had wronged you."

"That's because she was hurt, goddammit!" Raman banged his fist on the table, rattling the pen holders and stacks of files.

"She said she was fine!" Mani raised his voice in response. "She said it again and again that she was fine!"

"Wow, tum to ek number ke double dholki nikle," Raman laughed without humor. "On one hand you say that Ishita isn't the kind to fight for herself. On the other hand, you want me to believe it when she doesn't complain about her pain? Of course she kept saying she was fine! Her parents were right there! She didn't want to worry them, especially her mother!"

"None of that excuses you shouting at her. She's done so much for you and your family, but you don't appreciate her one bit! Have you ever used your words to say how much you're grateful to her instead of just taunting her? Have you ever used your goddamn voice to tell her how loved or appreciated she is?"

Raman chewed his lip and closed his eyes, breathing in through his nose and out through his mouth. Breath in. Breath out. In. Out. Somehow, the crimson pools of his rage retreated into the corners they were hidden in. It was true, he didn't use his words often. But he showed his love through actions, acts of service, and quality time. In everything he did, he kept Ishita at the center of his mind.

"Listen Mr. Abhimanyu Raghav, you have known us for just two weeks. Two. Weeks. You have no idea what you're talking about, telling me that my wife isn't happy in this marriage."

"I may have known you for two weeks, but I've known Ishita all my life. I've known her for years."

"And you've been gone for seven of those years. You'd be surprised how much changes in that much time."

"You're right, a lot can change," Mani conceded. "Ishu went from being truly happy to only pretending to be." 

"What makes you say that?!"

"Open your eyes, Raman!" Mani lost his patience now. "You married her to get custody of your daughter. She was forced into a marriage with you, and with that, she was forced into so many relationships she didn't want. Just because she accepted them with a smile doesn't mean she deserves to be weighed down by them! You're the one with the big boisterous family, with kids from another woman, with the baggage of a lifetime, and she's the one carrying the burden of it all! Is she actually happy being your wife, being Ruhi and Aditya's stepmother-"

"ENOUGH!" Raman slammed his fist on the table and shot up from his chair. "Ishita is my wife! Ruhi and Adi are my kids! So don't barge in here and teach me how to deal with my wife and kids!"

At this point, Raman was breathing heavily, raining his wrath on Mani, and rightly so.

Mani scrunched his nose in annoyance. Talking to Raman was like talking to a brick wall. Everything just went in one ear and out the other.

"Look at you Raman." Mani stood up slowly, calm and composed. "In one conversation with me, you've slammed the table twice. Every time I've seen you with Ishita, you're either taunting her or yelling at her. I saw you punch a man out cold yesterday. You really think you don't have an anger problem?! You really think Ishu deserves a man like you?!"

"You don't know what that man said-" Raman began.

"You're right, I don't," Mani interrupted him. "But violence is still never the answer. You can't just punch someone because they say something you don't like. What if Ishita says something you don't like someday? Is this how you'll react? Will you end up hurting her one day?"

And that was what broke Raman. The implication that he'd ever hurt his Ishita. It would have been less painful if someone had sliced his heart in two.

"Get. Out." Raman growled. Every hair on Mani's body stood up. "Get out before I have you thrown out!"

Disappointed with the outcome of the conversation, Mani shook his head, as he reached the door of the office. He opened the door and crossed the threshold, only to glance back for one final word.

"Raman, please think about what I've said. For Ishu."

Raman was so mad, he could've sworn that steam was whistling from his ears. Rather than say anything, he simply stomped to the door and slammed it in his Mani's face. Good riddance.

Three hours later - 12:30 pm

"And get me that report! Use your lunch hour if you have to! I better have it on my desk before the end of the day!" Raman slammed the phone back onto the receiver. Another poor sap had been the recipient of Raman Bhalla's wrath today. 

"Bhai, is everything okay?" Mihir asked. He placed the lunch tiffin on the desk. "Why are you so mad?"

"I'm mad because this damn Pankaj was assigned this report a month ago, and he hasn't submitted it yet!"

"Forget it bhai, have some lunch," Mihir suggested.

"I'm not hungry. You and Romi go eat somewhere else."

"But bhai-"

"Just go Mihir!" 

Hesitantly, Mihir picked up the tiffin and left Raman's office, leaving him alone in his desolate state.

He'd been pouring his wrath on everyone that irked him today. Mani's words had hurt him and left a mark. A knife had pierced his heart and it had been jammed there since this morning. Every word echoed in his mind, pushing the knife deeper. How dare he? How could that man sit in front of him and throw his worst fears into his face as if they were nothing? 

Raman stretched his neck from side to side, massaging the stiff muscle. Truth was, it wasn't the fact that Mani had dared to accuse him that angered him, it was the fear that maybe the accusations were true.

Ishita and he had married for Ruhi, yes. They both had their daughter now, yes. But with this marriage they had gained so much more. At least, he had gained so much more. His companion in every walk of life, his partner in whom he could confide, his one and only soulmate. He had found the love of his life.

But had Ishita gained anything in return? Did she truly have the life she had dreamed of? She loved Ruhi more than life itself; nothing could negate that. But did she love the relationships that came along with her? Did she love... him?

He smacked himself on the forehead. How selfish had he been? He got his daughter back, he got his son back, and he fell in love with his wife. It was all in his favor. But what did Ishita get other than her daughter? The only reason she had married him was so she could get her daughter back. The daughter she had loved and nurtured for longer than either of her biological parents had. And if Ishita had only married him for Ruhi's custody, then who was to say that she even wanted him today? That he even deserved her?

He recalled a statement she had made yesterday in passing. Vandu akka's wedding was so grand, but ours was rushed because of Ruhi's custody trial looming. She didn't get the wedding of her dreams. She didn't even get the groom of her dreams. Far from it. But she had accepted it all. She had fulfilled every responsibility, nurtured every relationship like her own, even though it wasn't what she had asked for.

And that was what pushed the knife in deepest. So deep he could feel his ribs crack. Because Ishita wouldn't reject him, wouldn't leave him. All she would do is stay with him out of obligation, for the kids, for the family. The possibility of her sacrificing her true desires for him -- for someone who didn't deserve her -- broke him. It broke him worse than the fear of being abandoned. Again.

Beauty and the Beast. That's what they were. And just because the beauty had found herself trapped in the beast's palace didn't mean she deserved to stay trapped there forever.

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 46

Bhalla House - 11 pm

Ishita paced back and forth in the living room. It had been three hours since she last heard from Raman. Just two words in the text bubble: Working late

After that, none of her messages or missed calls had been answered. Something was wrong. She could sense it, she could feel it in her bones. Raman never stayed out of contact for this long. As she paced, she occasionally glanced into Ruhi's bedroom to check on her angel; she was snoring soundly. Only Ishita knew how she had pacified Ruhi into going to bed. Her little girl had been upset at her father for working so much, but Ishita knew that wouldn't even last until the morning. Right now, she was worried for Raman.

When she finally heard the car pull in, she ran to the balcony, finally drawing in a breath of relief as she saw Raman step out of the car. But even from this distance she could see that something was wrong. He didn't have the usual spring in his step. His shoulders were hunched, not in exhaustion, but in dejection. And her heart fell. 

He climbed up the steps and before he could knock or ring the bell, Ishita opened the door... And Raman lost his breath. She was so goddamn beautiful. How the hell had he landed a woman like her?

"Raman, kahan reh gaye the aap?!" she asked. "I was so worried. Aur aap phone kyun nahi utha rahe the?"

"Phone ki battery chali gayi thi," he answered, averting her eyes. He slipped past her, making a beeline for the bedroom. 

Now Ishita knew for a fact, something was bothering him. They had each other's numbers memorized. He could've easily called her from another phone. 

She darted into their bedroom to find him dropping his laptop bag on the table and pulling his tie free from his neck. 

"Raman, kya hua hai aapko?" she whispered, her voice quivering. 

"Kuch nahi." How could he tell her? How could he face her? When he was the one who had given this great injustice?

"Accha aap fresh ho jaayiye. Main tab tak khaana lagaa deti hoon."

"Bhookh nahi hai."

"Lekin Raman-"

"Kahan na bhookh nahi hai!" he yelled, finally turning towards her and meeting her eyes.

Ishita flinched at his sudden outburst. Raman watched her step falter, her limbs jerk, and every last piece of his heart ripped to shreds. She flinched. For the first time in their marriage, she had flinched. She had seen him at his lowest, she bore witness to all his demons, yet today she flinched. What if you end up hurting her one day? Mani had said. No... he would never... he could never...

"S-Sorry Ishita...I didn't mean... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." he stammered. 

Ishita watched as her husband descended onto the bed, lied down, and pulled the covers to his chin. For the first time in their marriage, he had scared her. Not from the way he yelled, not from the way he avoided her, but with his eyes. His eyes had always been a window into his soul. And today, when she had looked into them, she saw utter heartbreak. And she flinched. What could have possibly upset her Raman to that extent?

Immediately, she rushed out of the bedroom and stumbled into the living room. She removed her phone from the charging port and clicked on the messages app. She opened her chat with Mihir. 

Ishita: Mihir, are you awake?

The reply was immediate.

Mihir: Yup, what's up bhabhi?

Ishita: Did something happen at the office today?

Mihir: Is bhai's mood still off?

Ishita: Yes

Ishita: Wait, was he like this all day?

Mihir: Yes, at least since 10 today. I tried asking him but he didn't say anything. I thought it would be temporary. Usually his anger bubbles up but then immediately dies down.

Mihir: Omg bhabhi... I just realized...

Ishita: What??

Mihir: Bhai didn't even have lunch today. 

The barbed wire around Ishita's heart twisted tighter. Her love hadn't eaten all day.

Ishita: I have to go. Ttyl

Mihir: Take care bhabhi. I hope bhai feels better.

Ishita took a deep breath and racked her brains. The only thing that could've disturbed her husband to this extent was family. She and Ruhi were okay. Their parents and siblings were all well and accounted for. She had talked to Simi over the phone as well. They were all well too. That left... Adi. 

Her heartbeat sped up as fear gripped her. The clock struck eleven, but Ishita didn't care. She dialed Shagun's number. She had a habit of staying up late and sleeping in. Chances were, she was awake.

The phone rang as Ishita's heart thumped against her sternum. Adi. Adi. Adi, it seemed to say. Shagun picked up on the third ring.

"Hello..." she drawled.

"Shagun, is Adi okay?!" Ishita asked frantically.

"What... Who is this..."

"It's me, Ishita. Ishita Bhalla. Just tell me is Adi okay?!"

"Yeah... he's... he's f-fine..." Her speech slurred. She must've been drinking, Ishita thought. "He's sleeping. In... in his... room."

The phone hung up before Ishita could enquire any further. If everyone in their family was okay, then what could have possibly caused her husband such anguish?

She reached her bedroom and approached Raman as he slept on the bed facing away from her. Disheartened but overcome with love, she gently lowered herself on the edge of the bed and cradled his head, caressing his thick hair. 

"Raman, apne saare dukh mujhe de dijiye," she whispered. "I can't see you like this."

Raman squeezed his eyes tighter. Sleep had evaded him and after hearing his wife's whispers, he doubted sleep would ever claim him tonight.

'Main tumhe already bahot dukh de chuka hu Ishita,' he thought. 'Aur mat maango."

In the quiet of the night, a silent tear rolled down his cheek and seeped into the pillow. 

Bhalla House - 6 am

Ishita stirred in her sleep, stretching her limbs as her hand stumbled to the side to shut off her alarm clock. With her other hand, she patted the other side of the bed to wake up her husband, only to be greeted with a complete absence of warmth. 

Immediately she shot up, realizing that her husband was gone. So was his laptop bag. Dread engulfed her heart. She reached for her phone to call him, but the message on the screen let her breathe again. 

Raman: Had an early morning meeting. Clients are international so time-zones don't match. Didn't want to wake you.

Ishita sighed. At least he was okay. He was still upset, possibly heartbroken, but that wouldn't last for long. She won't let it. Today, she would find out one way or another what had made her husband so upset.

Two hours later

Ishita waved her daughter goodbye as she hopped down the steps to catch the school bus. When she disappeared from sight on the staircase, Ishita went to the balcony, watching her daughter board the school bus and head to school. 

She had a day off from the clinic today, and she had planned to use it to finish chores and run errands. First stop, as always, was Ruhi's bedroom. 

Before she could make it to her daughter's room, her phone rang. It was Mani.

"Haa Mani bolo," she said.

"Ishu, I need your help." He sounded agitated, and Ishita grew concerned. 

"What's wrong?"

"Aliya has a really bad toothache. She's been crying in pain all morning. Can I bring her over to your clinic?"

"Mani, I'm at home right now. I have the day off today."

"Then I can come to your house too."

Something prickly crawled under her skin at that suggestion.

"No Mani, you should take her to the clinic. I can't treat her at home. The dentist on-call will attend to her"

"Okay... okay...um... can you come too? I just... I don't know what to do..."

Ishita chewed her lip. Mani was new at the parenting gig. He was beyond himself, nervous for his niece. She could definitely offer some support. 

"Okay fine. First of all, you need to calm down. The more you panic, the more it will scare her. Take her to the clinic. I'll meet you there."

Ishita informed Toshi and Omprakash of her sudden departure before she descended the steps and drove to her clinic.

Batra Medical Center, Ishita's office - 9 am

"Mani, please just sit down. Aliya will be fine," Ishita implored. She sat in her chair while Mani paced the office back and forth. 

"I still don't understand why you couldn't treat her," he groaned. 

"Because I'm not on the schedule today. I can't just decide to use surgical instruments on my own accord. Besides, she's being treated by Dr. Batra himself. He's my senior and has much more experience. She's in good hands. Now please... Just sit."

After many requests, Mani finally sat down in front of her. Even then he bounced his leg up and down in anxiety. 

"I don't understand how you do this," Mani said. "How do you just go about your day as a parent, knowing a piece of your heart is walking outside your body?"

"That part never gets easy. But you find ways to deal with it. You keep your children as safe and loved as possible. You make sure they know they're never alone," Ishita replied. 

"I'm so lost, Ishu. I don't know how to do this, how to be a parent. I'm at my wits end with them. Nirvaan is older and has always been more mature but I have zero clue how to handle Aliya."

"You're doing fine, Mani. Both kids have been through a lot of trauma and loss at a young age. But they're also resilient. In fact, kids are a lot more resilient than us adults. And they can see your efforts; they will get through to them. Don't worry about making mistakes. All parents do that. What matters is we don't stop trying."

"Thanks Ishu. Talking with you really helps."

"And one more thing, Mani. I know you think Nirvaan is older or more mature, but that doesn't mean he's completely fine. He might be internalizing his feelings, hiding his grief. Make sure you give him proper attention too, all right?"

Mani chewed on that thought. "That's a good point, Ishu," he sighed as he sank back into the chair. "You really understand kids' psyche so well. It's truly a shame that destiny has played such a hand with you. That a woman like you can't have kids."

Ishita's entire body stilled, as those words played in her head. That a woman like you can't have kids. Can't have kids. She already had two kids. Why wouldn't he believe that?

She stood up, placing her hands on the desk, leaning forward and towering ominously over Mani. 

"I've told you this before, and I'm telling you this again," she said, calm but stern. "I already have kids. Ruhi and Adi are my kids."

Mani shook his head in disapproval. "Do you seriously believe that?"

"I believe that because it's true."

"You're unbelievable, Ishu." He stood up to get at eye-level with her. "Itna mahaan banne ki kya zaroorat hai tumhe?! Ruhi ke liye tumhara pyaar main samajh sakta hoon, lekin Adi tumhara beta kaise hua? Woh to tumhe maa bhi nahi bulata."

"Woh mujhe maa bulaaye ya na bulaaye, usse humara rishta to khatam nahi ho jaata na? Rishte se main uski maa hoon."

And there it was, Mani thought. Her obligations towards relationships she was tied to.

"Just because tum rishte se uski maa ho uska matlab yeh nahi ki tumhe un rishton ka bojh dhona pade."

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, you heard me. Rishte saare Raman ke hai, aur unka bojh tum dho rahi ho."

"Yeh sab tum kya bol rahe ho Mani? Tum kis zone mein jaa rahe ho? Humaare parivaar ke saare rishte sirf Raman ke nahi, mere bhi hai."

"Wow, you sound exactly like some bahu on a TV serial. You're literally worshiping your in-laws, singing their praises like this."

"My in-laws are worthy of all the praise. Each and every one of them treat me as their own."

"And what about your husband?"

"What?"

"How does he treat you? He taunts you, throws jibes at you, and yells at you even when you're not at fault. He feels this sense of ownership over you, making decisions for you without even asking. And most of all, you guys married for the wrong reasons. You're not even in love. You're seriously going to tell me you're happy in this empty and loveless marriage?!"

"I'm very happy with Raman. And do not speak about my marriage Mani." She pointed a finger at him in warning even as she struggled to keep her voice steady. 

Mani scoffed. "Well, clearly my chat with Raman yesterday was useless," he muttered.

Even in the low tone of his voice, Ishita heard him loud and clear. Her vision tunneled as she put the pieces of the puzzles together. Raman's grief-stricken eyes from yesterday flashed in her head. Those eyes. Those big beautiful brown eyes that had lost their light.

"Kya kaha tumne Raman se?!" she cried out, anxiety lacing her voice.

Mani recounted his conversation with Raman, every single point he had made, how he had advocated for his best friend, hoping that Raman would realize that she deserved better. But the look on Ishita's face when he had finished his tale, told him in no uncertain terms, that he had made a mistake. A huge mistake.

In some deep recess of her logical brain, Ishita probably knew that Mani had her best interest in mind, even if it was out of some misdirected sense of loyalty. But she didn't care. Because all she could see was Raman. Her Raman who had been slapped with his worst insecurities by her so-called friend. Her Raman who was told he wasn't deserving of her companionship. Her Raman, his posture defeated, his spark lost, his eyes lifeless and barren. The image was imprinted behind her eyelids. And she saw red.

Red-hot anger like she had never known before erupted from her chest, rushing through her veins, as she exploded on Mani.

"HOW COULD YOU?! HOW DARE YOU?!" she shouted.

Mani stumbled back in shock. 

"What makes you think that Raman isn't a good husband?!" she continued. "What gives you the right to confront him? To interfere in my marriage?!"

"What...What gives me the right?" Mani stammered, reeling from shock. "I'm your best friend, Ishu... I-"

"Exactly Mani, you're a friend. Just a friend. No one, absolutely no one has the right to interfere in my marriage, much less you."

Ishita's eyes were bulging out of her head, red with fury. Mani had never seen her like this. He saw the tigress in her, the tigress that sprung up when she fought for someone she loved. And this tigress had sprung up for none other than Raman Bhalla. His shock compounded beyond belief.

Ishita registered the shock and hurt on her friend's face, and her anger dampened from a raging boil to a slow simmer. She was still infuriated, but the only way to rid Mani of his misconception was through rational, logical points. She could do this. She could put forth a sane argument without wanting to kill Mani.

"You have lots of complaints, don't you Mani? Well let me put every single one of your worries at ease." She crossed her arms and glared at him, ready to launch into a soliloquy. "First of all, Raman doesn't taunt me, he teases me. There's a difference. Rather, we tease each other. It's just the way we are. We poke fun at each other and get a laugh out of it. My husband has never made me feel bad by making fun of me. 

"Second of all, he only yells at me when it's a matter of my health and safety. Because he knows me. He knows that I don't want Amma and Appa to worry so I downplay my pain." She counted each point on her fingers as she made her points.

"Thirdly, Raman may not use his words as often as you'd like, but he shows his appreciation for me in a million other ways. His affection isn't for the world to see. It's for me and only me. Just because you don't have the eyes to see it doesn't mean it's not there.

"And finally, don't you dare imply that I'm stuck with relationships I didn't ask for. That my marriage is empty. All because I got married for unconventional reasons. I love every single person in my family, both maternal and in-laws. My journey to marriage and parenthood was not the usual path, but that doesn't make it any less valid."

Ishita exhaled out loud as she completed her speech. Mani stood in front of her, absorbing her words and chewing on them.

"Hold on, I have a question." She turned to face Mani again. "How did you even find out about how I got married? I didn't tell you, Raman sure as hell didn't tell you, and I doubt anyone from my family told you."

Mani gulped. "Ashok Khanna told me."

The anger that had dissipated from her mind erupted anew. Her mouth fell open in shock.

"I don't believe this... I actually can't believe this..." Ishita walked out from behind the desk and paced along the side of her office. Mani turned to his right as his eyes nervously followed Ishita's movements. 

"You decided to listen to Ashok Khanna, the man that has tried to make our lives a living hell? You listened to the venom he spewed rather than just talk to me or ask me? I don't even know what I'm angrier about! The fact that you said all this to Raman or the fact that you completely removed me from the equation!"

Mani staggered back a step as if he'd been punched. "Ishu, you never think for yourself. That's why I went directly to Raman. I thought-"

"Please, let it be!" She clapped her hands together and mocked him with a begging gesture. 

"Ishu no..."

Mani stepped forward to lower her hands only to have Ishita recoil from his touch. She turned around, hiding her face as she tried to control her emotions. To his utter shock, when she turned back to face him, she had tears streaming down her face.

"Mani, do you remember when I told you about how Subbu broke up with me?"

Mani nodded.

"Do you know what hurt the most? Not the fact that he was leaving me, or that I was infertile, or even that he chose to unceremoniously dump me in front of our families. What hurt the most was that he never kept me in the loop. He never asked me for my choice or my decision. He kept me in the dark when he took me to the doctor. He lied to me and took away my power to make my own choice. You did the exact same thing today."

Mani winced at that accusation. "No Ishu, that's not true-"

"It is true. You heard lies from Ashok about me and you decided to confront my husband about it. Not once did you think of talking to me. Of listening to what I have to say. You took away all my decision-making power." Her voice dropped to barely a whisper. "Raman never did that."

Memories from her marriage flashed through her mind like a film reel. Raman being open and honest about his past before giving her the choice to marry him. Him letting her take the decision whether to take his name or not. Him giving her the space and choice to end their misunderstanding when she had left the house. He had never taken away her power, her agency. The only time he had ever forced her to do anything was when he insisted her to rest, after her bout of food poisoning last year, after her twisted ankle.

She took a deep breath and spoke to Mani again. "Remember one thing, Mani. Ek baat ko gaanth baand lo. I am Raman's wife by choice. I am Ruhi's mother by choice. I accepted Adi as my family by choice. This was all my choice."

"Whoa..." Mani had finally found his wits again. "I had no idea you felt this way, Ishu. I was just looking out for you... We're such close friends after all."

"We're not."

"What?"

"We're not close friends anymore, Mani. I've been trying to do my best to help you out in this new city, but we're not as close as you think." Ishita hated hurting anyone, much less a childhood friend, but no one came above her husband. This had to be done. 

"We've been out of touch for seven years now," Ishita continued. "We've grown distant and that's a fact. I've changed in these seven years. I'm sure you have too. We just don't know each other that well anymore. We have our own lives now. I'm a wife and a mother. You have two young kids to raise. Focus on them now. If Aliya and Nirvaan need something, I'll try my best to help. But other than that, you have to accept that we're not that close anymore."

A shaky breath rushed out of Mani's nose. It hurt. It hurt accepting that he had grown distant from his childhood friend.

Meanwhile, Ishita had only one thought. Raman. She needed to go to Raman.

"Mani, please go wait in the waiting room. I have to lock the office before I leave," Ishita said.

"Where are you going, Ishu?"

"To my husband."

Meanwhile @ Raman's office

Raman closed his laptop after sending an email to Mr. Takahashi. Their early morning meeting had been a splendid success. The Japanese clients had finally shown a positive response to his newly suggested timeline, and they were making headway on the contract. 

Technically, they didn't have a meeting scheduled this morning. He had left the house before the crack of dawn to avoid his wife, and had arrived at the office at 5:30 am. Looking for something to do, he had called Tokyo and by some fluke, he had convinced them to agree to working with them.

He could hear the hustle-bustle outside his office. It was past nine and staff were just starting their work day. While he, in his frenzied state, had already finished much of his work in the four hours he had been here. He had done everything in his power to avoid thinking about his wife. But his thoughts returned to her time and time again. He couldn't disagree that she had gotten the short end of the stick. The noble thing to do would be to let her go. 

But that was also the easy way out. It was his self-preservation instinct that shot up: letting go of someone before he could be hurt any further. He could be saved from a lot of pain this way. But Ishita wasn't Shagun. She would never hurt him the way Shagun had. At every step of the way, she had proven she was nothing like his ex.

Raman recalled how badly he had tried to save his marriage to Shagun; he had fought tooth and nail to keep his family together. Ishita deserved a fight ten times more intense. Mani was right. She deserved better. She deserved the world. And he would be the one to give that to her. He'd spend the rest of his days working to give her everything she deserved, working to keep her happy. He'd make sure of it. And then, if she decided she didn't want him, so be it. But he would take only her word for it. Not some outsider's. After all, Raman Bhalla never went down without a fight.

He dialed his secretary, who picked up on the first ring. 

"Shweta, this is Raman. I'm going out for the day. Cancel the rest of my appointments today."

"You don't have any appointments today sir. Just a staff meeting at 11."

"Mihir can take the lead on that. I'll be unavailable for the rest of the day."

"Okay sir. May I ask where you're going? In case Mihir sir or Romi sir ask."

"To my wife."

Raman flew down the stairs of his office building, taking two steps at a time, rushing to get home to talk to his wife. He ran out to the parking lot and fumbled with his keys. In his hurry to unlock his car, he crashed into someone he hadn't noticed. 

"Ishita?"

"Raman?"

Ishita straightened her saree and hoisted her purse onto her shoulder. Her eyes had been focused on her purse, as she was putting her wallet away having paid the rickshaw driver, and she hadn't noticed her husband until she crashed into him. 

"Raman, mujhe aapse baat karni hai," she said.

Raman caught her shoulders, squeezing hard, convincing himself she was actually here. He pushed her back until her back collided with the door of his car, until the hard planes of his body crushed her soft curves.

"I know I don't deserve you," he babbled. "I know this marriage isn't ideal, but give me a chance. Give us a chance. Please," he begged. 

Ishita's heart went out of control, as she peered into his desperate eyes. They had so much to talk about. 

"Raman, I'm happy in this marriage. Whatever Mani told you, please don't believe him."

Raman's eyes widened in shock. "You know about that? What Mani said to me?"

Ishita nodded. "He told me just now. And we need to talk about it."

Raman looked to his right and left and stepped back. They were in the parking lot of his office where anyone from his staff or even his brothers could see them. And he didn't want anyone tuning into this conversation. 

"Get into the car. We'll talk somewhere else."

Meanwhile on the roads of Delhi - Mani's car

The traffic light turned green and Mani floored the gas pedal. He kept an eye on the rear-view mirror, watching Aliya in the back seat who was steadily falling asleep after her surgery. Dr. Batra had assured him that she would be fine by the end of the day. Much to Aliya's delight, she had been given the green light to eat as much ice cream as she liked today. 

That meant Mani's mind kept churning on the events from Ishita's office. He could never have anticipated that she'd react the way she had. She was so mad, Mani thought. He shuddered every time the image of her angry eyes and tears came unbidden to his mind. In all this time, he truly thought he'd been looking out for her. He thought he knew his Ishu so well...

She wasn't his Ishu anymore... She was Raman's Ishita now...

Seven years had passed since he had left India... and her. But in some corner of his heart, the bond he had shared with her stayed alive for every day of those seven years. She had just started dating Subbu when he left, and he had watched her grow distant from him. It was one of the reasons he had taken the abroad internship; so he could get away from watching her with her boyfriend.

He had always had a soft corner for her, unnamed feelings beyond friendship which had always gone unrequited. He wasn't naive enough to think they were star-crossed lovers meant to be together. Ishita was involved with Subbu at the time, and he had had his fair share of relationships as well, both casual and serious. But even in these ever-changing dynamics, he had always banked on their friendship. One way or another, he was convinced he'd be close to her as a friend. Because somewhere in his mind, he'd thought they were more than just friends. 

When he had heard of her marriage, he'd been disheartened. He had always known she would marry someone else. He had prepared himself for that when she started dating Subbu. Besides, as long as she was happy, nothing mattered to him. But the turn of events that took place in her life had given him reason to think that she wasn't happy, that Raman didn't deserve her. Unfortunately, he had been in for a rude awakening. 

Truth be told, he still couldn't tell whether everything he had done in the past two weeks was for her or for himself. Did he see what was actually there or what he wanted to see? Was he looking for a reason to prove to himself that Ishita wasn't happy? Was he looking for an excuse to get himself tangled in her life?

Mani sighed aloud. He had never meant to hurt her. But he had, without meaning to. He was responsible for her tears today. And as much as his heart screamed at him to go back and wipe her tears, he knew he didn't have the right. The best thing he could do right now was leave her alone. It was time for him to move on, to forget her.

French Flavor Coffee House - 9:30 am

"One black coffee for the gentleman and one mocha latte for the lady. Enjoy folks!" The waitress left their drinks on their table before walking away with a smile. 

Raman had brought his wife to the same coffee house where it all began, where she had agreed to marry him. They sat in a corner booth, side by side, secluded from the rest of the public eye, to finally talk. 

"Raman, I'm so sorry ki Mani ne aap se itni galat baatein boli," Ishita began. "Lekin aap please mera yakeen kijiye, maine use woh sab kehne ke liye bilkul nahi kaha tha. Mujhe to idea bhi nahi tha ki uske man mein yeh sab kuch chal raha hai."

"Jaanta hoon Ishita. Tumne use kuch nahi kaha hoga," Raman replied, twisting the lid of his coffee cup just so he could have something to do. "Darr to mujhe is baat ka tha ki usne jo kuch bhi kaha, kahin woh sach-"

"Sach nahi hai!" Ishita grabbed his hand under the table and squeezed. Hard. "Uska kaha hua ek bhi shabd sach nahi hai!"

The conviction and strength in her voice was enough to stitch Raman's heart back together. He finally looked her in the eyes and was momentarily knocked back by the intensity he saw in them.

"Are you sure it's not true? Because the way we got married was not conventional. We came together for Ruhi. You didn't choose me as a husband, I just came along with the package."

"That's not true," Ishita pressed. "I chose Ruhi as my daughter and I chose you as my husband. It was my decision to build a life with you both, and I stand by that decision." 

She took a sip of her coffee and continued, "Mani doesn't know us Raman. He doesn't know the home we've built together, so nothing he says matters. Unless you choose to believe him."

Ye Tera Ghar Ye Mera Ghar Kisi Ko Dekhna Ho Gar

To Pehle Aake Maang Le Meri Nazar Teri Nazar

Ye Tera Ghar Ye Mera Ghar Ye Ghar Bahut Haseen Hai

Ye Ghar Bahut Haseen Hai Ye Ghar Bahut Haseen Hai

Raman drew in a shaky breath. "You think I wanted to believe him Ishita? I practically kicked him out of my office for what he dared to say. But he said certain things that... I couldn't find it in my heart to disagree with them."

"Like what?"

"He said... he said that I wasn't a good husband. That I make fun of you and shout at you. That I have anger issues."

Ishita closed her eyes, feeling anger once again at her "friend" for his words. She opened her eyes and cleared her throat. 

"Raman, please believe me when I say this. You have never ever made me feel bad from the way you tease me. I love it, in fact. I love sparring with you and fighting with you."

She paused momentarily as she ordered her thoughts. 

"You know Raman, I was raised to be prim and proper, conforming to people's ideas about what I should be, how I should act, how I should speak. I had been like that all my life, living to please other people. And then when Subbu dumped me... I lost all my confidence. I began sinking into a shell. But with you, I found my voice again. You never judged me; you not only accepted but celebrated my flaws. I didn't have to bend over backwards or behave myself to please you. You accepted me exactly as I was. You brought out the best in me, you brought out the real Ishita.

"Maybe we don't work on paper. Maybe if a third person saw our relationship, they wouldn't understand it. We became parents first and got married later. We worked so hard to bring our family together, to rebuild our relationships. But just because our family is out of the ordinary, that doesn't mean it's any less beautiful."

Na Baadlon Ke Chhaon Mein Na Chandni Ke Gaaon Mein

Na Phool Jaise Raaste Bane Hain Iske Vaaste

Magar Ye Ghar Ajeeb Hai Zameen Ke Kareeb Hai

Ye Eent-Pattharon Ka Ghar Hamaari Hasraton Ka Ghar

Ye Tera Ghar...

Every word his wife said washed over Raman like a gentle, soothing balm. 

"So you're really okay with being married to me?" he asked. "Even though I'm nowhere near perfect?"

"I'm not perfect either, Raman. Besides, I already had a seemingly 'perfect' relationship before. That didn't work too well, did it? I'm okay with this imperfect man only," she chuckled. Raman smiled for the first time in two days, and she could finally breathe again. 

"My relationship to Subbu was all superficial," she continued. "The world looked at us like we were a perfect match, but when it really mattered, he couldn't come through for me. He didn't prioritize me or accept any of my shortcomings. But you've always put me first... I couldn't have asked for a better husband. This marriage to you is the best thing that could have happened to me."

Raman smiled. Every wound on his heart had been stitched closed, soothed by the cool balm of his wife's reassuring words. The tightness in his chest dissipated, and he turned in his seat to face her. He took her hands in his, encasing them as he brought them close to his chest. 

Jo Chaandni Nahin To Kya Ye Roshni Hai Pyaar Ki

Dilon Ke Phool Khil Gaye To Fikr Kya Bahaar Ki

Hamaare Ghar Na Aayegi Kabhi Khushi Udhaar Ki

Hamaari Raahaton Ka Ghar Hamaari Chaahaton Ka Ghar

Ye Tera Ghar...

"Ishita... I'm so sorry... I should never have believed Mani. I should never have paid him any heed." 

"Why did you believe him then?" Ishita asked. 

Raman looked away. "I don't know. Maybe somewhere deep within I felt like I didn't deserve it all. This last year I have been so blessed. Maybe I was waiting for something to mess it all up. And then Mani showed up, acting like he knew you better than me. Amma doted on him as if he could do no wrong, and I couldn't help but think he may have had a point when he said-"

"He doesn't know me better than you. No one knows me better than you do. Trust me. And as far as Amma is concerned, she was just being friendly to him. He was a guest. That's how she treats all guests. She goes overboard."

Of course, Raman thought. He'd been so jealous of Mani that he didn't even give Amma's behavior any thought. She was finally treating him like her own son, like she treated Bala. Of course she wouldn't have been so formal with him. After all, Mani was a guest, but he was family.

He inhaled sharply and looked at his wife shamefacedly. "Ishita, I promise, I will never doubt us again. I will never doubt our marriage. And I'll never behave like I did yesterday. You'll never flinch again because of me. You'll never be scared of-"

"No Raman!" Her fingers shot up to his lips to shut him up, shocked at how he had interpreted the situation yesterday. "I didn't flinch because I was scared of you! I flinched because I was shocked at how upset you were. I could see it in your eyes. And I couldn't bear to see you like that."

Raman was speechless. Every ounce of love he had ever felt for her multiplied beyond bounds. He was so lucky to have her. He wasn't going to forget it for the rest of his life. He was never going to let the insecurities that Shagun had plagued him with interfere with his marriage today. Ishita had sealed every single crack, healed every single wound that Shagun had given him. Ishita had accepted him for him, not for what he could offer. She had accepted his past, his demons, and helped him overcome them. She had been loyal and supportive beyond bounds. She had breathed life into the barren landscape of his life.

Yahan Mahak Wafaaon Ki Mohabbaton Ka Rang Hai

Ye Ghar Tumhara Khwaab Hai Ye Ghar Meri Umang Hai

Na Aarzoo Pe Qaid Hai Na Hausle pe Jung Hai

Hamaare Hauslon Ka Ghar Hamaari Himmaton Ka Ghar

Ye Tera Ghar...

He was overcome with emotion, and before he could stop himself, he pulled his wife closer and descended his lips onto hers. It was a feather-light touch, as he held back all the passion he felt for her, not wanting to scare her.

Ishita tensed up in shock at the sudden onslaught, but slowly loosened up, closing her eyes and surrendering herself. The uncertainty of the last two days reared back and knocked into her as she molded her body to his.

Moments later, they came apart, breathing harshly, foreheads touching. As they locked eyes and peered at each other, they knew without a word. They were in love.

https://youtu.be/UOMjKWrfI0U

Aditi_X thumbnail

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Okay, okay, first of all... Before you guys throw your stones at me, let me just say... YES, a grand confession scene will be coming up! I just want to unpack Ishita's insecurities first before I do that. This track was all about Raman. Ishita comes next. 

Now coming to the Mani track, the entire fandom has had complaints with this sequence on TV. Ishita and Raman's characterization went out the window with this track and we all hated it. So I've tried to recreate it to the best of my ability. Of course, I wanted to make sure Ishita wasn't at fault. She's smart and considerate; she wouldn't be stupid enough to go behind her husband's back to spend time with another man, regardless of the reason. 

Therefore, in my story, I made sure to keep only Mani at fault. Not Ishita, not Raman. I never understood why in the show Mani was so involved in Ishita's life all of a sudden. That's why I tried giving a better explanation here. He's rebuilding his life in a new country after a tragedy befell him, and he needs all the help he can get. His unnecessary involvement and focus on Ishita can be explained by his unresolved, unrequited feelings for her. My attempt to explain his character motivations.

Also, in the show, I felt that Raman's anger and his taunts were too over the top. He exploded on Ishita at times in such a way that I disapproved of immensely. I found myself agreeing with some of the points that Mani made in his accusations to Raman. That's why I toned Raman down in this story. This way, Mani's accusations seem truly unfounded. I've also tried to explain the Iyers' and their tendency to rave on and on about Mani, especially Amma. That was a complaint that Raman had in the show, Mani being given more importance than the son-in-law.

My interpretation was that Raman was family whereas Mani was a guest. Think about the time a guest comes over to our house. They are given a lot more importance and service than family members, all out of formality. Madhu treats Bala and Raman like her sons. She is comfortable enough to rely on them without feeling indebted or having to worship them simply because they are son-in-laws.

Of course, this track focused on Raman and his insecurities. Now that those have been resolved, I will focus on Ishita next. Please do drop your comments below on what you thought about the Mani track. And please... be kind. Considering how much the fandom hates this track, it was the most difficult to recreate.

Next up, Mihir-Mihika's wedding! Which song do you want to see IshRa dance on in their sangeet? Drop some song suggestions below!

As always, stay happy and healthy! Keep reading and shower your love on this fic! ❤️❤️❤️

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

All the three parts were really very good and interesting please update next part soon 

Mreddy thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Absolutely loved all the 3 parts.  As you said Ishita's character was butchered in the show during the Mani track.  Your story is how it should have been. You dealt with Raman's insecurities very well.  Will be waiting eagerly for the next update

-RKB- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Wow... Both the updates were beautiful and you recreated superbly.. Seen at mall.. Office.. And home were awesomely described.... 

Mani is dumb.. Both agreed  to marry for ruhi's happiness than How he thought that ishta was forced ..🤔

I loved ishita of your story she's so balanced ..

Conversation between ishra and their kiss🤗....you wrote awesomely... Loved it. 

Being greedy want update in two days🙏🙏 

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Part 44

Another amazing update!!! 

Mani is getting on my nerves already!!!😡

Raman and Amma's relationship is lovely, I like it that you are creating scenes to show this (also the light bulb scene earlier update) very sweet!!!

Mani is just looking at Raman - why doesn't he see how Ishita lights up every time Raman appears!!!

Now he is obviously going to listen to Ashok and of course Ashok will take advantage of this!!😡

Never judge a book by its cover Mani!!!!

Ishita and Ruhi - as always a beautiful relationship!!!!🤗

Fabulous to see Adi interacting on the football ground - Bala is right though Adi does need professional help (but no "family" business please like in the show!!!). I know you will handle it much more professionally!!

Ishra both not wanting to think about the consequence of not getting married to each other - that scene was just out of this world

Together with sharing burgers scene in the car - wow and song choice was fabulous!!

Going to read part 45 now!

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Part 45

Oooooooooooooo I am so angry with Mani - how dare he judge without knowing anything and now Raman is doubting himself and I can soooooo feel his insecurities - you have described his thoughts so awesomely!!!

Please please don't let him leave her - instead he should talk to Ishita and tell her what Mani said and both should be honest with each other!!

I better read the next part to see how you have dealt with that -  am sure I will not be disappointed!⭐️

Loved the flashback of what Romi did and also the fact that Raman apologised to him - so sweet!!!!