Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: -RKB-

Thank You...  Plz don't show eject like.. Where ishita  giving imprtnt to mani thn raman..... Subbu track plz different from drama.. 

Yes, both will be different from the actual show. The Mani track will be a bit similar, but I'll put my own spin on it. It's basically how I wanted the Mani track to play out in the show. So definitely, Ishu won't give more importance to Mani than Raman. It will be more like IshRa's relationship strengthening and Raman's insecurities being addressed. Stay tuned!

Also, Subbu's track will be completely different from the show. It will have nothing to do with Simi. Basically another chance to show Raman's jealousy and being IshRa closer. 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: GBSC

Any chance of a train journey ?

It’s always interesting .

Cause bhallaji does have relatives n land in his native village .

N it’s common for Indian couples to visit their native place soon after a wedding .

This never came up in Yhm .

Neither did we get to enjoy those scenes/track there .Kkb had a wonderful village track .

Pure romance .

You are a fantastic writer .We can imagine divan as Ishra in that situation .Thats exactly how I read your story .All the chr’s played by the same actors .

Pl update soon .

Thank you for your compliments!

As far as train journey is concerned, I'm not sure. I've grown up in an urban setting so I don't know how to write an organic village track. Plus, I've already planned a little honeymoon track for them, so hopefully that'll address your wish of seeing pure romance. 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 42

Bhalla House, Raman and Ishita’s bedroom - One week later, Monday March 3, 6 am

Ishita stirred in her sleep, stretching her limbs and loosening her joints. She turned over and was greeted with a sight she had yet to grow accustomed to. Her husband was sleeping on his stomach, legs sprawled out, with an arm around her waist. She gently removed his hand from around her waist and tiptoed out of bed. 

They had been sleeping on the same bed for a month now. The sofa had long been fixed (thanks to Neelu’s over-enthusiasm), but Ishita never returned to the sofa, and neither did Raman ask her to. Neither were ready to forgo the conversations they indulged in every night or the cocoon of warmth they found themselves engulfed in every morning. 

Some nights, they talked endlessly reminiscing childhood memories, whispering secrets they hadn’t told anyone else. Ishita revealed that she was almost named Matangi owing to her mother’s staunch belief in astrology, but thankfully her bua intervened at the last moment, demanding the right to name her niece. Raman had revealed that he had been very shy as a boy, so much so that he had struggled with a slight stammer and had blushed every time he made eye contact with a girl. It wasn’t until high school that he could talk confidently and even then, he hated being the center of attention. 

Some nights, they discussed their plans for the future, what they hoped to see their kids accomplish, what they had in mind to keep their parents comfortable. Raman revealed Toshi's wish to go on a world tour at her and Omprakash's golden jubilee. Ishita mentioned her parents' desire to visit every temple of South India as a part of their yatra (religious tour).

Other nights, they didn’t talk, too exhausted from work or life, choosing to quietly go to bed. But every morning, they found themselves close to each other, some form of physical contact connecting them to their safe haven, their sanctuary. Her head resting on his shoulder; his arm around her waist; or a leg intertwined with another. Even on the nights when they didn’t fall asleep in each other’s arms, they unconsciously found each other in their sleep, seeking comfort and warmth. 

Ishita gathered her towel and sari for the day, entering the bathroom to brush her teeth and have a bath. Her practiced movements didn’t need any conscious thought, allowing Ishita to dwell on the one unresolved aspect of her life: these intense feelings for her husband. 

Their union eight months ago had been a legal formality, a marriage of convenience intended for Ruhi to get her parents back and for Ishita to get her daughter back. She could never have imagined that this formality would grow into the most important relationship of her life. It was true that this marriage gave her her daughter, and many other relationships she was grateful for. But the reason this marriage was the center of her world today was because of her one and only husband.

The lukewarm water of the shower washed over her. She hadn’t ever considered Raman to be her perfect match, especially in the first few months of her marriage. They had belonged to different cultures, with different upbringings, and were outright different people. But today, she reflected on how those differences were what made them the perfect couple, two pieces of a puzzle that fit together, two pieces tailor made for each other.

His one-liners challenged her own wit, keeping her on her toes, while still making her laugh to her heart’s content. His laid-back and happy go-lucky attitude complimented her own anxiety and tendency to worry, calming her down and swelling her confidence. His care and concern for her, especially when she ignored her own needs, made him the perfect partner. And all this didn’t even begin to cover how her insides twisted and heart pounded when her husband came close and whispered sweet-nothings. 

She turned off the shower, drying herself and getting dressed. These feelings were so intense, so unlike what she had experienced before. Her courtship with Subbu was convenient and comfortable. Her relationship with Raman was challenging and passionate as well as her constant support and comfort place. She could never have known that love could be like this…

Ishita paused with her comb in her hand, as she stared at her reflection in the mirror, color rising in her cheeks, awareness dawning in her eyes. Her jaw dropped, mouth slowly transforming into a smile. This had to be love. All-consuming, raw, powerful love. 

The summer before you 

I thought love was Shakespearean 

More or less a painful experience 

Only ever real if you’re delirious 

The summer before you 

I let it take up very little oxygen 

Not where I’d rest my head 

More like an ottoman 

Never had someone like you treat me like Solomon 

But little did I know 

You would be the one I’d confide in 

Learn how to try with 

Little did I know

It was you before I ever decided 

Oh little did I know 

Oh little did I know 

The summer before you 

You can’t spell drama without Consonance 

And I admit I usually was the cause of it 

Now here we are you’ve got me changing all of it 

Slow me down I want you to 

It’s different when it comes to you 

Little did I know 

You would be the one I’d confide in 

Learn how to try with 

Little did I know

It was you before I ever decided 

Ya little did I know 

You would be the one who would save me 

Learn how to change me

Little did I know 

Ooh just look at you can you blame me 

Oh little did I know 

Oh little did I know 

The summer before you 

I thought love was Shakespearean 

More or less a painful experience 

Only ever real if you’re delirious

Ooh little did I know that it could feel like this 

Ooh little every time I got you on my lips 

The summer before you

https://youtu.be/EvwPKH3wtUY

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Iyer House - 7 am

“Amma! Amma!” Ishita strolled into her parent’s house, looking for her mother. 

“I’m in the kitchen, Ishu!” Madhu’s voice sounded out.

Ishita found her mother in the middle of frying pakoras with one hand, and talking on the phone with another. Rather than interrupt her phone call, she proceeded to the pantry to find what she needed: a box of MDH Madras curry powder. Before she could wave her mother goodbye and leave, her mother stopped her with a hand on her forearm.

“Yes Mani,” Madhu spoke into the phone. “You take care kanna, hmm? Koi bhi kaam ho to phone karna. Hum tumhari family jaise hi hai. Turkey pahuch kar phone karna. Aur India aa kar ghar pe visit karne zaroor aana. Okay, bye.” 

Ishita heard her childhood friend’s name and stopped in her tracks. She hadn’t heard from him in years. How was he?

“Mani se baat kar rahe the Amma? Kaisa hai woh?” she asked. 

“Not so good, Ishu.” An uncharacteristic sadness clouded Madhu’s eyes. “His sister and brother-in-law passed away six months ago. They left behind his niece and nephew.”

“Oh my god…” Ishita gasped. “How did we not know about this earlier?” She was utterly shocked.

“Because we’ve been out of touch with him for years. I only found out last week when I was talking with Vaijanti. A friend of mine from Chennai,” Madhu clarified. 

“How is he doing? Is he okay?” Ishita’s eyes softened with concern.

“He is fine, Ishu. It’s been six months so he’s doing much better. Actually, he’s moving to India soon with his niece and nephew. He’s in Singapore right now, for business. But he’s going back to Turkey to wrap up his business and then move to India. Maine usko humaare ghar pe invite kiya hai, jab bhi woh India waapis aaye.”

“That’s great Amma,” Ishita breathed a sigh of relief. As disheartened as she was to hear of his sister and brother-in-law’s demise, she was relieved to know Mani was doing well now. “Amma, can you send me his number? I’ll call him when I get a chance.”

“Sure kanna.”

“And I’m taking this curry powder, okay? We’re all out.” She waved the box of curry powder at her mother.

“Haan haan, koi baat nahi Ishu.” 

Ishita turned around to go back to her house only to be stopped by an unusual scene at the Iyers’ front door. 

Raman stood on a wobbly stool unscrewing the light bulb above the front door, and her father stood nearby, with another bulb in his left hand, Raman’s laptop bag in his right one. Her heart skipped a beat, seeing her husband dressed in a dapper suit, her novel realization of this morning hanging heavy in her chest.

“Kya ho raha hai yahan Appa? Raman kya kar rahe hai?” she asked. 

“Ishu, main yeh light bulb change kar raha tha. Raman bahar aa gaya to isne zid pakdi ki wohi change karega. Maine kitna mana kiya, lekin yeh maanta hi nahi,” Vishwa explained. “Bahot ziddi hai tumhara pati.” He handed Raman the new light bulb who exchanged it for the old, discarded one.

“Aiyyo Raman!” Madhu shrieked. She had come to the front door, having heard the commotion, especially the mention of her son-in-law. “Yeh tum kya kar rahe ho? Hum apne maarumagan se kaam nahi karwa sakte! Tum utro, utro please!”

“Maaru what?” Raman screwed his face in confusion, as he fit the new light bulb.

“She means son-in-law,” Vishwa explained. 

“Tch tch… kya aap bhi Amma…” Raman stepped down from the stool, dusting his hands. “Son-in-law se naa sahi, apne son se to kaam karwa hi sakte ho na?”

Ishita’s heart skipped another beat. 

“Aur waise bhi, aise stunt karte karte agar Appa ko kuch ho gaya to mera, Bala, aur Mihir ka kya hoga? I mean, we love you guys but we can’t handle the Iyer ladies alone,” Raman quipped. “Seriously Appa, apna dhyan rakha kijiye. You’re the one voice of reason in this madhouse. Is ghar ke teeno bete ko aap ki sakht zaroorat hai.”

“Kya Raman tum bhi…” Vishwa laughed. 

“Tum kyun has rahe ho Vishwa?” Madhu sunk her hands on her hips and glared at her husband.

“Case in point,” Raman whispered discreetly to his father-in-law. “Arey Amma, main toh mazaak kar raha tha,” he spoke aloud. “But seriously, agar kuch bhi kaam ho, aur Mihika ya Bala-Vandu ghar pe naa ho, to yeh mat bhuliye aapka dusra beta yahin saamne rehta hai.”

Madhu’s eyes watered. She had been brought up in a very traditional, almost patriarchal background. She had done her best to keep up with the times, but it wasn’t always easy. It took her almost three to four years before she could accept any sort of service from Bala, being inclined to serve and accommodate the son-in-law. Raman had been the same, nothing but polite and understanding since he became their son-in-law, offering to help in housework whenever he was around. But Madhu couldn’t accept it. It would be a while before the concept sunk in: She didn’t just have three daughters, she also had three sons in Raman, Bala, and Mihir. 

“Chalo, main office chalta hoon,” Raman said. 

“Itni jaldi?” Ishita asked. “Aapne naashta kiya bhi ya nahi?”

“I had some cereal. We’re wrapping up a huge project so I have to go in early. Unlike you. Do din ki chutthi hai na, tumhe?”

“Excuse me! You know how many hours I put in over the weekend? I deserve these two days off!” Ishita huffed, even as her parents struggled to contain their laughter. 

“Ab chuthi hai to jaake kuch kaam bhi karlo. Main chalta hoon.”

Her husband escaped her anger only for her parents to become the target. 

“Amma, Appa, aap ne suna yeh mujhe kitna pareshaan karte hai?! Aur aap dono bhi humesha unke jokes par haste hai! Aap mere side ho ya unke?!” As hard as she pretended though, she couldn’t be mad. She could never be mad at the person responsible for her parents’ laughter. 

“Aiyoo Ishu, kya tum bhi choti choti baaton ka bura maanti ho.” Her mother gently swatted her shoulder. 

“Main jaa rahi hoon,” Ishita announced. “Main mummyji se hi complain karungi. Ek wohi hai jo meri baat seriously lete hai. Ab woh hi apne bete ko thik karenge.”

Ishita stomped off to the Bhalla house, eyebrows scrunched up in vexation, mouth curved up in amusement. It was never a dull day around here.

Raman’s Office - 12 pm

“Great work everybody! We’ve been working on this project since August, and because of all your hard work, we’ll be finishing two weeks before the deadline!” 

A round of applause broke out among the staff at Raman’s congratulatory declaration. 

“I want to thank all of you for your hard work over the past few months. It wasn’t easy and we couldn’t have completed this order without each one of you. And a special thanks to the marketing team; we had lots of bumps with the client, but all of you persisted and delivered an amazing product!” Another round of applause broke out.

“Bhai, ab kaam itne acche se ho gaya hai to celebration ka kya plan hai?” Romi piped up. He signaled to the rest of the staff to speak up, who echoed his sentiments.

“Yes sir, party to banti hai!”

“We should go out for lunch together!”

“Drinks and dinner!”

Raman waved his hands trying to get the staff to calm down. 

“Bhai, they’re right,” Mihir commented. “Celebration to banta hai!”

Raman sighed. He couldn’t disagree. His staff deserved a night of celebration. His investors wanted a night to gloat and show off. And he had earned a night to recognize how far he had come. 

“Okay okay, all right!” He raised his voice to calm down his increasingly restless staff. “We’ll organize a grand party to celebrate our success on this contract. Dinner, drinks, dance, socializing, the works. That's a promise.”

Hoots and whoops of cheer broke out among the crowd, the CEO himself joining in the applause. It was truly a joyous moment. The cheer died down as everyone slowly dispersed for lunch. Just as Raman turned to leave, the corner of his eye caught a figure moving closer at the edge of the crowd. Recognition dawned in his eyes, and his smile brightened to a thousand watts.

“Bhabhi, aap yahan?” Mihir had seen the figure approach as well, a smile similar to his brother’s mirroring on his lips. 

“Aap logon ke liye lunch le kar aayi thi.” Ishita lifted her hands, showing the two tiffins she carried in each one. 

“Aap ne kyun takleef ki bhabhi? Aur do tiffin kyun? Maa to usually ek hi bhejti hai,” Romi asked.

“Isme mera bhi lunch hai. I have the day off so I decided to join you guys.”

Ishita smiled at her brothers-in-law, sneaking glances at her husband. She hadn’t planned on bringing lunch herself; neither had she planned on joining her husband for lunch either. All she knew was that she wanted to be closer to him. Having realized her love for him this morning, she needed an outlet to pour it out. An avenue to express her love until she found the courage to bring the words to her lips. And so, while making his favorite lunch, she couldn’t stop herself from packing it and bringing it to him herself. As the old adage went, the way to her Punjabi husband’s heart was surely through his stomach.

Raman snatched one tiffin from his wife and shoved it into his brother’s hands. “Yeh tum dono ke liye. Break room mein jaa kar khaana.” He took the second one with his right hand and grabbed Ishita’s hand with his left one. “Aur yeh hum dono ke liye. Hum apni office mein khaayenge.”

Before Ishita could contain her shock and react, he was pulling her into his office, Mihir and Romi ‘ooh’-ing and ‘aah’-ing and whistling at their retreating figures. Ishita blushed scarlet, but Raman didn’t give a damn. Wasn’t he entitled to some private time with his wife?

“Raman!” Ishita chided him, shocked and embarrassed. “Yeh kya tha? Aur woh bhi Mihir aur Romi ke saamne?!” 

Raman slammed the door shut, stepping forward to his wife. “Dekho, un dono paagal ko main jaanta hoon. Aur tumhe bhi. Tum logon ka bas chalta to yahan family lunch ban jaata. Waise bhi, tumhaare paas apne pati ke liye time hota to hai nahi? To yahin karna padega!”

He slumped down on the sofa, setting the tiffin box on the table in front of him. 

“Raman, aap aisa kyun kehte ho ki mere paas aapke liye time nahi hai?” Ishita asked. “Ab zimmedaariyaan hai, family hai, job hai, to thoda to adjust karna padega na? Mujhse zyada to aap busy rehte hai. Kaam mein, bacchon mein, social commitments mein. I’m not complaining but you can’t blame me for-”

“Bas kar madrasan!” Raman interrupted Ishita’s rant. He knew his outburst was unwarranted and her defense justified. But he was as obstinate as they come. “Ab sirf taane khilaaogi ya bande ko khaana bhi naseeb hoga?”

Ishita sighed and joined her husband on the couch. This wasn’t his usual demeanor. It was common knowledge that they had many responsibilities ranging from their jobs and housework to their children and families, all of which they fulfilled diligently. Unfortunately, this didn’t always leave enough time for themselves. This usually hadn't bothered either of them. Until now.

“Achanak itne naaraaz kyun ho gaye aap?” Ishita asked softly. She opened the tiffin box and began serving his lunch on a paper plate. “Main aayi tab to aap itne khush the, celebrate kar rahe the…” 

Raman leaned back on the sofa and massaged his sinuses. His wife was right; this was unlike him. This was new. This urge to take up all her time, to covet her all to himself. Even after falling in love with her, he had yet to discover each facet and layer to this fierce and ardent passion. 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to get into a foul mood.” He straightened himself, clearing his throat, trying to find the right words. “I just don’t like being surrounded by too many people all the time. Sab ke sab kabab mein haddi hai. Kabhi kabhi tere saath akele mein waqt bitaane ka hi man karta hai.” He bumped her knee with his and winked, lightening the mood. 

“Does that mean you enjoy my company? Or that you simply tolerate it?” she asked, echoing their conversation from before their Valentine’s date.

It means I consider myself the luckiest man on earth to be in your company, to share your space. It means I’m stupidly jealous of anyone else you grace your presence with, no matter how idiotic it seems. 

“I enjoy your company, Madrasan. More than I can say,” he replied, voice dripping with sincerity. “Aaj khaane mein kya hai?”

Ishita blinked her tears away and handed him the plate. His lips curved up in a smile. His wife knew him well. 

“Palak paneer, huh?” He broke a piece of paratha, grabbed a piece of paneer with a generous helping of gravy, and gobbled it up.

“Chinta mat kijiye. Isme sambhar masala nahi daala.”

“Tumne banaya hai?”

“Haan. Aur yeh to kehna hi mat ki aapko pasand nahi hai. Har baar do-teen bowls bharke khaate ho.”

“Woh to isiliye, taaki kisi aur ko yeh torture jhelna na pade.”

For a split-second, her smile shook. “Raman, aap ko sach much nahi pasand?” Her normally self-assured voice held a disguised quiver.

Raman dropped the morsel in his hand, set his plate down, and pressed his palm onto his wife’s hand, squeezing it reassuringly. 

“Pasand hai biwi. Aur woh bhi sirf tumhaare haath ka.”

Ishita bit her lower lip. “Well, now you’re just overcompensating.”

Raman picked up his morsel again, and noticed Ishita’s empty hands.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” he asked.

“Haan haan, main leti hoon.”

She turned to the side table and fished around the drawer that held paper plates, cups, napkins, tea bags, and coffee packets. 

“Raman, I think you’re out of paper plates here. I’ll go get some from the break room.”

She went to stand up, only to be pulled back down by her husband.

“Abhi kahan tum jaa kar plate dhundogi? Isi mein se khaa lo.”

“Are you sure?”

“Very sure. Yeh lo.”

He stretched his hand and brought a piece of palak covered paratha to her mouth. After momentary hesitation, she opened her mouth and ate the morsel from her husband’s hands. As she grew more comfortable with the intimacy of the action, she returned the gesture. They fed each other, eating from the same plate; Ishita topped their plate with additional parathas and heaps of palak paneer. She wiped the plate clean with the last piece of paratha and fed him the last bite.

As she withdrew her hand, Raman noticed an odd mark on her knuckles. He caught her hand and peered at the mark.

“Yeh tumhare haath ko kya hua?”

“Kuch nahi, kitchen mein kaam karte waqt jal gaya hoga.”

“Kya?!” He brought her hand closer, gently rubbing the burn with his thumb back and forth. “Kaise jal gaya? Tu apna bilkul khayal nahi rakhta na madrasan?! Kitni baar kaha hai apna dhyan rakha kar, lekin Jhansi ki Rani kuch sune tab na!” His voice was irate, a complete contrast to the extreme tenderness in his eyes.

Ishita pressed her free hand to her husband’s mouth, stopping him mid-speech.

“Raman, main thik hoon. Paper cuts, scrapes, burns, aise chhoti-moti chot to sab ko lagte rehte hai.”

Raman lowered her hand from his mouth, only to bring her other hand closer. He closed his eyes and kissed her knuckles, soothing the burn with infinite love. Shivers and goosebumps erupted all over Ishita’s body. 

“For god's sakes, take care of yourself.” If something happened to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. He hesitantly let go of her hand. 

“Waise, aaj ghar par thi, to kya kya kiya?” he asked, desperate to prolong this time with his wife. 

“Not much Raman. After you left, Ruhi went to school with papaji. She had a show and tell at school today and she decided to take my stethoscope. I tried to explain that I don’t use it every day, but she was adamant. Besides, I couldn’t let her take any other of my dental instruments. They're too sharp,” she laughed. “Other than that, I just cleaned around the house, made lunch, that’s it.”

“Waise, is maamle mein teri beti tujh pe hi gayi hai. Badi hokar doctor banegi.”

“Doctor ya dentist?”

“Doctor obviously. Apni beti ko daaton ka carpenter thodi banne dunga?”

Ishita playfully punched his shoulder, an adorable pout on her face. 

“Waise Raman,” Ishita continued, changing the playful mood to somber. “I also got some bad news today. Kisi se share karne ka mauka hi nahi mila abhi tak.”

“Kya hua?” All traces of laughter were gone from his voice, concerned of what bad news his wife had to bear.

“Mera ek dost tha bachpan mein. Usse bahot saalon se baat nahi hui, lekin aaj Amma usse baat kar rahi thi. Che mahine pehle uski behen aur jijaji ki maut ho gayi. Aur unke dono bacchon ko ab woh sambhaal raha hai.”

Raman pulled her to him and held her close. “Tum thik ho?”

“Main to thik hoon, Raman. Main un logon ko itni acche se nahi jaanti thi. Bas apne dost ki fikar ho rahi hai. Woh ab kaafi akela hoga, aur apne niece aur nephew ko akele paal raha hai. Use phone kiya tha maine dupahar ko, lekin usne phone nahi uthaya. Shaayad mera number unknown hoga isiliye. Maine message bheja hai, so hopefully jaldi baat ho jaaye.” She snuggled closer to her husband. 

“Kaun hai yeh dost?

“Abhimanyu Raghav naam hai uska. Hum log use pyaar se Mani bulaate the.”

Something seemed awfully familiar about that name, Raman thought. But he couldn’t figure out where he’d heard it.

“Uska naam kahin se suna suna lagta hai. Kya karta hai Abhimanyu?”

“Woh Turkey mein businessman hai. Shayad usi silsile mein kahin uska naam suna hoga.”

“Ho sakta hai…”

“Amma bata rahi thi ki woh jald hi India move ho raha hai. Agar usse baat ho jaaye, then maybe we can reconnect.”

“I hope you can…”

The clock struck one, signaling the end of Raman's lunch break, cutting their quiet interlude short. Ishita untangled herself from her husband’s embrace and began organizing the tiffin containers, as Raman straightened himself and stood up. 

“Chaliye Raman, I’ll let you get back to work. Main chalti hoon.” She walked towards the door, only to have her husband grab her hand and stop her. 

“Kya hua, Raman?”

“Ek baat puchni thi.”

“Kya?”

“You must’ve heard when you came in. We’re holding a party to celebrate our success with this contract. And I want you to be there. I’ve come a long way with this business, but I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Don't say that Raman. This is all your hard work, your sweat and blood. I don’t deserve any credit.”

“Yes you do. You have no idea how you’ve changed my life in the past year.” He took in a deep breath, unable to voice how thankful he was to have her in his life. “Just tell me you’ll come to this party. I want you there by my side.”

Ishita hesitated. She had only been to one business party before and it wasn’t necessarily a success. The gossip and whispers shared by the high-society women rang in her ears, stinging more than they had then. How she was a “downgrade” compared to Shagun. How there was no spark in her relationship with Raman. She still remembered how out of place she felt, among the glamorous women with their high-end dresses, their judgemental and impolite stares. 

“Ishita? Will you come?”

Raman’s voice broke her reverie. Raman. Even then, when they were at odds with each other, he had been so understanding. Checking in if she was okay, offering drinks and food, asking her to dance. Her husband needed her by his side. It didn’t matter what gossip spread about them or their marriage. She knew how real this was. She knew how much Raman needed this. And she was happy to oblige.

“I’d love to come, Raman.” I’d be the luckiest woman on the planet to be by your side. I wouldn’t be anywhere else.

“Thank you madrasan.” He squeezed her hand before letting it go. 

“Main chalti hoon.”

Raman nodded at Ishita as she took his leave. She headed towards the break room to look for Mihir or Romi to get the other tiffin box before going home. Fortunately, she ran into Mihir in the lobby, busy on his phone, the tiffin box in his other hand. 

“Mihir, main khali tiffin le lu?” she whispered, so as not to disturb his phone call. 

Mihir nodded and handed the tiffin to his bhabhi. As she turned to leave the building, she heard the last few bits of Mihir’s conversation.

“Miku, sun to… Why are you so mad?!.... I don’t get you sometimes… You know what? Fine, mujhe bhi koi baat nahi karni!”

The angry tone of his conversation worried Ishita. She had noticed Mihika was a bit annoyed two days ago. Upon asking, all she said was his ‘buddhu’ fiancé was being stupid, but she didn’t want to talk further. Ishita had taken it to be a silly, childish fight. But she was proven otherwise.

She turned back around and tapped Mihir’s shoulder. “Mihir, is everything okay? Mihika se jhagda hua?”

“Jhagda to hua hai bhabhi, but I don’t even know about what!”

“Kya matlab?”

“Miku came over to my place two days ago. She got mad that the sink was full of dirty dishes. I told her I was busy and I’d do them later, but that made her even angrier! Somehow she thought that to mean she’d be stuck doing the housework all the time. I sent her flowers over lunch, and for some reason she’s even angrier now!” Mihir pocketed his phone and ran his fingers through her hair. “I don’t know what to do!”

Ishita mulled over Mihika’s logic and understood what the conundrum was.

“Mihir, she’s mad because she’s scared of what her life would be like after getting married. Amma, Akka, and I have been convincing her that she will still have full independence after being married, that she can focus on her career without being tied down to domestic work. If she sees that her husband-to-be won’t even clean a sink full of dirty dishes, what do you expect her to think? That all these chores will fall on her.”

“But bhabhi, it was one time. Otherwise I’m diligent about keeping my place clean. I even know how to cook. In fact, I’ve cooked for her so many times! And I’ll keep doing so after getting married. Why would she think I wouldn’t share in household chores?”

Ishita shrugged. “You’d have to ask her that. But flowers or chocolates aren’t going to cut it this time. Tell her what you told me and you’re golden. She needs to hear from you that both of you will share in the responsibilities of the house.”

Mihir breathed a sigh of relief. “This makes so much more sense. Thank you bhabhi. Thank you so much!”

He gave a quick hug to his sister-in-law, a weight lifted off his chest. He turned on his heels dialing his fianceé’s number again, as Ishita went downstairs to go back home.

Nitya Pravah Dance Studio Parking lot - the next day, Tuesday, 5:50 pm

Ishita exited the car and shut her car door, as Simi pulled her own car into the spot next to her with Rinki in the passenger seat. Ishita had come to pick up Ruhi from her dance class, and Simi and Rinki tagged along hoping to find some time with Adi. Now that he had been reintroduced to the family, they all wanted to take every chance they could to spend time with him. Today, Raman was working late which meant Rinki and Simi had joined Ishita instead. 

“Ishita, Adi ko yeh games pasand to aayegi na?” Simi asked. She collected various board games and puzzles from the trunk of her car creating a stack so huge, it came up to her chin. “I mean, they’re not all new. Some are games that Ananya and Ruhi were gifted but didn’t use. And I bought some from the thrift shop. He’s probably used to expensive-”

“Simi, itna zyada socho mat,” Ishita interrupted. “If there is one thing I know about Adi, it’s that he doesn’t look at price. Tum pyar se jo dogi use sab pasand aayega.”

Simi smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. 

“He plays football in the field across the street.” Ishita pointed to the field. “Uski practice dus minute mein khatam ho rahi hogi. Main Ruhi ko lekar wahin aati hoon.”

“Thik hai bhabhi. Chaliye Simi di,” Rinki said.

As Simi and Rinki crossed the street, Ishita approached the entrance to the dance studio to see her daughter walking out. Except today she didn’t have the usual spring in her step. 

“Ruhi, kya hua aapko? Aap sad lag rahe ho…”

“Ishimaa, practice was no fun today. I fell down and hurt my leg. And so many people laughed.”

Ishita’s heart fell seeing a frown on the face of her normally chirpy daughter. She opened her arms and Ruhi ran into the sanctuary of her mother’s embrace. 

“I’m sorry baby. Aap ke pair mein zyada chot to nahi lagi?” She pulled away to examine Ruhi’s feet.

“My feet are fine, mumma. I just want to go home.”

“Beta, Adi bhaiya se miloge? Simi bua aur Rinki bua bhi aayi hai.”

No response.

“At least for five minutes?” Ishita coaxed her daughter. 

“Okay mumma.”

Meanwhile @ Arch Sports Field

Rinki and Simi sat with Adi on a bench at the edge of the field. Simi had spent almost ten minutes explaining each game she had brought and how to play it, apologizing for some of them being used and second-hand. Adi had quashed her apologies, insisting he loved every game and puzzle she brought. Rinki had then asked in detail how Adi’s school was, which subjects he liked, who his best friends were. He gave short, succinct answers to each question, not knowing how to keep the conversation going further. 

Like last week, he was shy and reserved. Other than Raman and Ruhi, he had yet to bond with anyone else, Romi and Mihir being the only ones with whom he’d slightly opened up to. It wasn’t until Ruhi came running into the field that Simi and Rinki noticed Adi's face brighten up. 

Adi and Ruhi spent the next fifteen minutes playing in the field, Ishita noting with relief that her daughter's bright, chirpy demeanor had returned. Rinki joined the kids shortly, leaving Simi and Ishita on the bench.

“Yaar Ishita, humara Adi us chudail ke paas, matlab us Shagun ke paas rehta hai phir bhi uska dil kitna saaf hai,” Simi commented. “Uski buraai humaare bacche ko chu tak nahi paayi. Ek woh thi, har choti choti baat pe ghar mein problem create karti thi. Bhai ko itna pareshaan karti thi, zyada paise chahiye, zyada mehengi cheezein chahiye… Aur ek yeh baccha hai, meri saari gifts itne pyaar se le li. Maine maafi maangne ki koshish ki, to usne ek nahi suni. Aisa lagta hai ki yeh abhi bhi humara wohi pyaara bhola-bhala puttar hai by god.”

“Of course humara hi baccha hai Simi.” Ishita replied. “Even if he doesn’t live with us right now, the values you all gave him have shaped him into who he is today, and who he will be in the future.”

“He’s still so shy though. He doesn’t talk much to us.”

“Use time do Simi. Abhi abhi to mila hai sabse.”

They spent ten more minutes there until they had to disperse. Simi had to be home in time for Ananya’s dinner, and Ruhi was getting antsy to go home for her evening cartoon show. Ishita, however, wanted some one-on-one time with Adi. He had been growing closer to everyone in the family, but still gave her a cold shoulder. It was time to tackle the bull by its horns. She insisted Ruhi go home with Rinki bua in Simi bua’s car, while she talked with Adi bhaiya. 

Adi rubbed his sweaty palms together, watching his sister and aunts cross the street to their car. His source of anxiety however, was the fact that his stepmother hadn’t gone with them. 

“Adi, can I talk to you beta?” Ishita asked, kindly.

“Mujhe koi baat nahi karne aapse,” he replied, his voice icy cold, hiding an undercurrent of compassion.

“I insist, beta. Please baitho na.”

Adi sat down beside Ishita, his back rigid, stance stiff, and eyes averted. Ishita smiled inwardly. This boy reminded her so much of her Raman, especially the Raman she had met a year ago. A heart encased in ice, isolated from all the love in his life, angry at the world, and scared to open up again.

“Aap mujhse gussa ho Adi?” she asked, not dancing around the bush. 

Adi sucked in a breath and shut his eyes. How dare she? How dare she act this innocent when she was the cause of all the pain in his mom’s life? This was it. He was going to give this woman a piece of his mind. He was going to empty all his rage on the one person who rightly deserved it.

He turned his head and met her eyes, and his anger dissipated as instantly as it rose. He saw nothing but genuine love and concern. But he was still angry, still confused, still raging with a storm inside.

“Haa, gussa hu. Bahot gussa hoon. Why are you in my life? Why are you in my dad’s and my sister’s life? They belong with me and my mom! You even tied a rakhi to Mihir mama! My mom’s brother!” He had stood up now and was shouting in earnest. “My mom is so alone! All because of you!”

Ishita drew in a shaky breath and shut her eyelids, forcing her tears back, processing all the accusations Adi had sent raining on her. Guilt racked her heart; was she really responsible for this poor boy’s suffering? Had she really taken a place that belonged to someone else? 

She cleared her throat. Now was not the time for her to be weak. She was the adult here. And this kid needed her, even if he didn’t realize it.

“Adi, please sit down and listen to me,” she began. “I promise you, maine aap ki mumma ki jagah nahin li, aur naahin kabhi lena chaha hai. Maine unse kuch nahi cheena. I know you want your dad and sister in your life, in your family. And they are your family, beta. We are all your family. Ruhi, papa, mumma, me… we’re all your family.”

“No, you are not my family,” Adi maintained, but with much less conviction.

“Adi, families come in all different shapes and forms. And you have a very big one. Your grandparents, all your aunts and uncles, your sister and cousins, your dad, your mom, and me. I know you don’t think I’m your family, and that’s okay for now. But can you believe me when I say that I never ever meant to hurt you or your mother?”

“How do I believe that? How do I believe that you’re not responsible for all the misery in my mom’s life?”

“Beta, when did your mom leave your dad’s house?”

“Five years ago.”

“I didn’t meet your father until a year ago. I only got married to him last July. Long after your mother had left the Bhalla house. I didn’t steal anyone.”

“And Ruhi? What about her? Shouldn’t she be with her real mom?”

Ishita blanched and reeled back as if she’d been punched in the face. It’s okay, Ishu. He doesn’t know. How would she explain Ruhi’s life without painting Shagun in a bad picture?

“Adi, Ruhi is with her real mom. I’m her mom. I didn’t give birth to her, but she’s growing up with me. On the other hand, Shagun is your mom. That’s the truth that we all have to live with, okay?” Ishita strengthened her voice with confidence and conviction. No one, absolutely no one could negate her motherhood. 

Adi looked away again, perplexed beyond belief. He knew in his bones that Ruhi was happy with Ishita. Just as happy as he had been at that age. She was a great mom evidently. He couldn’t deny it. How come everything he saw about this woman was at odds with what his mom said about her?

“Sorry aunty… I-I didn’t mean… I didn't mean to hurt you…” 

“It’s okay beta,” Ishita reached for his shoulder, but Adi shrugged her hand away. He wasn’t ready for that, and she understood. 

She recalled one more accusation that Adi had thrown at her. “Aur jahan tak tumhaare Mihir mama ki baat hai, can’t a brother have two sisters? Tumhaare Mihir mama itne acche hai, ki woh mere bhai jaise hai. Isiliye maine unko rakhi baandhi. Lekin woh sabse pehle tumhaare mumma ke hi bhai hai.”

Adi nodded and turned his face towards Ishita again.

“Beta, whatever happened, just know that I never ever wanted to hurt you or your mother. I never wanted to take your mother’s place or cause her any unhappiness. But if I did, then I’m sorry.”

Ishita raised her hands to her ears, only to be stopped by an awestruck Adi.

“No Aunty!” He grabbed her hands, stopping their ascent. First papa, then Simi bua, now Ishita Aunty. Why did they all have to apologize so much? He wasn’t used to adults in his life being so soft-spoken, much less saying sorry. “Please aap sorry mat boliye. It’s not right.”

Ishita lowered her hands, and gently stroked his cheek. This time, he didn’t move away. 

“Adi, can I say something else?” Ishita asked.

He nodded.

“You and I, we both love our family. And our whole family loves both of us. And when we fight or avoid each other, they get hurt. So, for them, can we call a truce? Maybe become friends?”

No, we can’t, his mind yelled. Yes, I want to, his heart whispered.

Adi gulped. “Okay, truce.”

Ishita leaned back, tension seeping out of her muscles, knots loosening. She was finally making headway with her stepson. 

“Adi beta, aapka driver abhi tak nahi aaya? Main aapko ghar chod doon?” Ishita asked.

“Driver aaj chutti par hai. Mom was supposed to come pick me up.”

“Try calling her beta.”

“I sent her so many messages. She’s not replying.”

“Koi baat nahi. I’ll take you home. And we can check in on her too.”

Ishita coaxed Adi into her car, turned on the engine, and drove out of the parking lot.

Khanna Mansion - 6:40 pm

As soon as Ishita parked the car, Adi sprung out of his seat, running inside to check on his mother. Why hadn’t she come to pick him up? Why wasn’t she picking up his phone or answering his texts? 

“Adi wait!” Ishita called out, running after him. “Adi slow down!”

She ran into the house and almost crashed into Adi. He stood at the living room threshold, transfixed, his gaze on the figure on the sofa. Ishita turned her head and the scene in front of her shocked her.

Shagun sat on the sofa, her back to them, wine glass in one hand, remote in another, while the TV played a classic English film. 

“Mom?” Adi called out. Shagun turned around, setting down the wine glass and remote. Her face lit up at the sight of her son, then immediately turned sour at the sight of the woman beside him. 

“Adi, what are you doing with this woman?” she sneered.

“Mom, aap mujhe lene kyun nahi aaye?” Adi asked, ignoring her question. “The driver was off today. I thought you were coming to pick me up.”

Shagun gasped, and her hands flew to her mouth. “Oh no beta! I totally forgot! It completely slipped my mind.” She drew her son into a hug and gave him a kiss on the forehead. “I was so tired today, I didn't mean-”

Adi smiled, eyes encased in sadness. “It’s okay mom. It happens. I’m going upstairs.”

He ran upstairs before his mother defended herself any more, before his stepmother pitied him any more.

“Adi suno! Kuch khaana to kha lo!” Shagun called out. With her cries falling on deaf ears, she channeled her frustration to the one scapegoat in front of her. 

You. Isheeta, what did you say to my son? Why isn’t he speaking to me? I’m his mother dammit!”

“Maybe he isn’t speaking with you, because you were busy sipping wine and watching TV, when you were supposed to pick him up from football practice.”

“How dare you?!” she seethed. “Tum mujhe mat sikhao ki apne bete ka khayal kaise rakhna hain. Mujhe tum se behtar aata hai. Adi, Ruhi, dono mere bacche hain. Raman ne itne saal sirf mujhse pyaar kiya hai. You came after me, don’t forget that.”

Ishita broadened her shoulders and held her head high. This delusional woman, of all people, was not going to rattle her today.

“You’re right Shagun. Adi is your son, and you must know what’s best for him. But don’t pretend that what you did today was the best for your son. Even you aren’t that stupid. And as far as Raman and Ruhi are concerned, you don’t know one thing about them. So don’t make a fool of yourself by even pretending. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go home to my husband and daughter.”

Ishita turned around and sauntered off, confidence illuminating her every step, even as certain bitter words shoved their way into a corner of her mind. Shagun fumed behind her, determined to show her her place, even as her ego shook and pride fell.

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
-RKB- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Thank you...... 

Eagerly... Impatiently.... Waiting to read.nxt update . 

Hope jealous Raman rocks not sucks... 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 43

Bhalla House - Two weeks later, Friday, March 14 - 4 pm

Raman straightened his tie and ran a lint roller over his coat. He combed over his hair again, drawing in a deep breath, as he studied his reflection in the mirror for the nth time today. He was dressed in a crisp black suit with hair gelled back for his company’s celebratory party today at the Oberoi Hotel. It was going to be a grand evening. On Mihir and Romi’s behest, he had decided to go all out, splurging on the best decorations and caterers, inviting every business family in the city. His entire staff would be there, every member of his family was invited, his wife and daughter included.

With one last look at his reflection in the mirror, he exhaled and left the bathroom. His wife and daughter were getting ready in his bedroom, and had practically kicked him out. He knocked on the door of the bedroom, hoping to be granted entry this time.

“Dono maharani taiyyar ho gayi ho to andar aa sakta hu main?!” he called out.

“Aa jaayiye!” Ishita’s voice sounded.

Raman opened the door, walked inside, and… stopped in his tracks. His heart doubled in size. For his two princesses stood in front of the dresser mirror, Ishita braiding Ruhi’s hair into a half crown braid. It was a dream come true. It was a simple, domestic sight, but it was a dream come true. After all, his favorite girls were going to be by his side tonight, and he couldn’t wait for the world to know it.

Am I asleep, am I awake, or somewhere in between?

I can't believe that you are here and lying next to me

Or did I dream that we were perfectly entwined?

Like branches on a tree, or twigs caught on a vine?

Like all those days and weeks and months I tried to steal a kiss

And all those sleepless nights and daydreams where I pictured this

I'm just the underdog who finally got the girl

And I am not ashamed to tell it to the world

Ishita brushed Ruhi’s remaining hair and set the brush down. 

“Which necklace do you want to wear, Ru?” she asked, opening the jewelry box. 

“This big one!”

“No betu, that’s too big for you. How about this locket?”

It took a good ten minute negotiation between mother and daughter before they agreed on a necklace Ruhi could wear as well as matching earrings. As Ishita tied the necklace around her daughter’s neck, Raman stood by the edge of the room, not wanting to disturb the scene.

“Okay Ruhi, look. You’re all ready… And you’re so pretty!” Ishita planted a kiss on her daughter’s cheek, turning around to nudge her out of the room. “Now go have a snack before we leave. Tab tak Ishimaa apni saree thoda thik kar dengi.”

Ruhi jumped down from the dresser chair, only to run into her father.

“Papa, main kaisi lag rahi hoon?” Ruhi twirled around, her dress fluttering around her knees.

“Meri Ruhi sabse pretty lag rahi hai.” Raman gave a gentle tug to his daughter’s cheek. 

“Thank you papa! Main bahar jaa rahi hoon snack karne ke liye,” Ruhi said, flying out of the room. 

Raman turned to his wife, who was busy rearranging and fussing with her saree. God, how he loved her.

Truly, madly, deeply, I am

Foolishly, completely falling

And somehow you kicked all my walls in

So baby, say you'll always keep me

Truly, madly, crazy, deeply in love with you

In love with you

Should I put coffee and granola on a tray in bed

And wake you up with all the words that I still haven't said?

And tender touches, just to show you how I feel

Or should I act so cool like it was no big deal?

Ishita straightened her saree, rearranged her pallu, and reached back to reattach the safety pin to her blouse. She reached back, twisting her hand, unable to find a comfortable position to remove the safety pin. 

“Laao, main karta hoon.” Raman stepped forward and came up behind her, locking eyes with Ishita in the mirror. A fission of energy crackled between them.

Ishita lowered her hands, allowing Raman to take over. He moved closer, his breath fanning her neck, as he removed the safety pin from her shoulder. She straightened her pallu, and Raman expertly reattached the pin, without taking his eyes off his wife.

Every gesture of his nowadays spoke of love and passion, but he had yet to find the words to say it. Lingering glances, tender touches, and hushed whispers were his way of expressing what was in his heart. The depth of his love still surprised him; how much would it scare his wife if he told her? How would she react? If she didn’t love him back… No. He couldn’t even bear to entertain that thought.

Wish I could freeze this moment in a frame and stay like this

I'll put this day back on replay and keep reliving it

'Cause here's the tragic truth if you don't feel the same

My heart would fall apart if someone said your name

And truly, madly, deeply, I am

Truly, madly, crazy, deeply in love with you

Ishita couldn’t seem to take her eyes off her husband, his eyes, his breath, his hands on her shoulders. She had no idea what to make of Raman’s increasingly flirtatious nature, his growing closeness. Did this mean he felt the same way she did? Or was this simply an extension of his care and concern, his selfless attitude that any family member was privy to? Were his feelings as strong and ran as deep as hers did? 

“Achi lag rahi ho,” Raman whispered, stroking her shoulders lovingly. “Kapdo ki thaan lapeti hai phir bhi.” 

Ishita softly elbowed him in the abdomen. “Mehengi saree hai. Humare ghar ke dono fashion icons ki guidance se li hai.”

“Fashion icons?” Raman’s brows furrowed in confusion.

“Rinki aur Mihika. Dono ki help li thi maine apna outfit choose karne mein. After all, Raman Bhalla ki biwi hoon, to unki takkar ka to dikhna padega, na?” She winked at him.

“Bhai, bhabhi, chaliye! We’re all ready!” Romi called out from the living room.

Raman stepped back and extended his hand, palm facing upwards. “Chale Mrs. Bhalla?”

Ishita put her hand in his, their fingers tightening around each other. “Chaliye Mr. Bhalla.”

I hope I'm not a casualty

I hope you won't get up and leave

May not mean that much to you

But to me it's everything, everything

Truly, madly, deeply, I am

Truly, madly, crazy deeply in love (in love) with you (with you)

In love (in love) with you (with you)

In love (in love) with you (with you)

With you, oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5_2-GXYyU

Oberoi Hotel, Main Ballroom - 5 pm

“Let’s all give it up for the man of the hour, Mr. Raman Bhalla!” Mihir announced from center-stage, applause and cheers erupting from all over the ballroom. 

Raman walked forward up to the stage, basking in the glow of success that five long years of work and sweat and tears had brought him. His staff was gathered in the center of the room, while his family sat at the two front tables, Bhallas on one and Iyers on another. 

Toshi and Romi screamed until their voices were hoarse, drowning out the hoots of Simi and Rinki. Omprakash held Ruhi in his lap, while Ishita sat in the next chair over, all of them clapping to their heart’s content, eyes glowing with pride. On the other table, Vandu, Bala, Madhu, and Vishwa rained their applause, but the loudest cheers came from Mihika who was bursting with pride for her fiancé. 

On the other side of the ballroom, Ashok and Shagun sat tall, refusing to join in the applause. Ashok fumed at the success of his rival, the rival who was nothing before he had paid any attention to him, the rival who had snatched this contract from right under his nose. Shagun seethed at seeing the ex she left behind more successful and happier than the man she had left him for. On the other hand, Adi stood up in excitement, applauding his father’s and uncles’ success. 

Raman climbed up the stage, as Mihir handed over the mike. 

“Thank you, thank you everyone for coming and joining us today. This success hasn’t come easy, and it hasn’t come for me alone. First of all, I want to thank each and every member of my staff. You guys are the real MVPs. I want to thank our investors for trusting us and working with us over the past year. I’d like to give a very special thanks to my family who are sitting right there, screaming like lunatics.” He pointed to the Bhalla-Iyer clan who broke out into another round of hoots and cheers, laughter erupting from the rest of the room. “My brother Mihir,” He clapped a hand on Mihir’s shoulder. “Thanks for being by my side, burning the midnight oil for five long years. And the most important thanks goes to the woman who is my inspiration every day, my wife, Dr. Ishita Bhalla.”

He met his wife’s eyes across the room. It took him a moment -- a rather excruciating moment -- before he tore his eyes off her, realizing that about a hundred pairs of eyes and ears were trained on him. 

“Please enjoy the party everyone! We have drinks, dinner, and a dance floor, so please enjoy and celebrate!”

Another round of applause broke out before everyone dispersed to socialize in their own circles. Raman climbed down the stage and made a beeline for the Bhalla table. He had news reporters, investors, and business associates lined up to shake his hand and make introductions, but first things first, he needed his wife.

“Ishita,” he called out, beckoning to her. “I want to introduce you to everyone.”

Ishita waved goodbye to Ruhi and the rest of the family, ignoring their knowing stares and soft teasing whistles, before falling into step beside her husband.

“Aay haay,” Simi whistled. “Dekha, mera bhai kitna lattoo ho gaya hai Ishita ke peeche?”

“Simi di, yeh to kuch bhi nahi,” Romi chimed in. “Aap ne to abhi tak humare office lunch ka kissa nahi suna!”

Romi went on to narrate to his sister the possessiveness displayed by his brother when he had dragged his wife into his office for a private lunch. Toshi chuckled at her eldest’s predicament. She had seen the way he looked at Ishita, the lingering touches, the conversations they had with their eyes. There was no mistaking it; her Raman puttar was in love.

“Dadu, I’m bored!” Ruhi whined from her grandfather’s lap.

“Ruhi chuhi, tu chachu ke paas aaja.” Romi held his hand out for Ruhi to hold. “Hum dono milkar dance floor par aag laga denge. Tingu, tu bhi chal!” He turned to the Iyers’ table and beckoned Shravu to accompany them.

Romi galloped with Ruhi and Shravu to the dance floor, Rinki, Simi, and Mihika following close behind. Owing to a now empty table, Toshi and Omprakash moved to the Iyers’ table, occupying the seats left vacant by Mihika and Shravu. 

“Congratulations Bhalla ji! Aap sab ko bahot bahot badhai ho Raman ki safalta par.” Vishwa shook hands with Omprakash.

“Aap ko bhi congratulations Iyer sahab! Aapke daamaad ki party jo hai,” Omprakash laughed.

“Vandu, yeh lo.” Bala approached the table and laid down a plate of fruit salad and a glass of juice in front of his pregnant wife. “Kuch khaa lo. Dinner aate aate shaayad der lag jaaye.”

“Aur dinner mein bhi pata nahi veg options honge ya nahi,” Madhu commented. 

“Oye Madrasan!” Toshi bellowed. “Mere puttar ne saari taiyyari kari hai, koi kami nahi hogi!”

“Bala, mujhe nahi khaana,” Vandu groaned. 

“Accha to kam se kam juice pee lo.” 

“Ugh fine.” Vandu took a sip of orange juice.

A few minutes of friendly conversation passed, until Toshi felt a light tap on her shoulder.

“Adi puttar! Tu aa gaya apni dadi ke paas!” She gave her grandson a tight hug, as Omprakash ruffled his hair. 

Adi smiled at their affections. He had been squirming in his seat at Ashok’s table ever since the function began. He was so happy at his father’s success, but the fact that he wasn’t sitting with his family bothered him. How he wished he and his mother were a part of that table. 

He had anticipated Ashok’s resentment; what bothered him was his mother’s reaction. She hadn’t clapped for papa; she hadn’t congratulated him; and she hadn’t even smiled at the occasion. Her eyes were devoid of their usual sparkle, full of something akin to distaste instead, maybe even dislike.

His skin crawled and he had been antsy to leave the table, just to escape the negativity and discomfort, bringing him to his grandparents’ table instead. 

“Aaja puttar. Baith baith humaare paas.” Omprakash dragged a chair up to their table and patted the cushion, signaling his grandson to take a seat.

It took a moment for him to take in the rest of the occupants of the table, and he recognized a familiar face.

“Hi Bala sir.”

“Hello Adi? How are you, beta?”

“I’m fine sir.”

“Adi, we’re not in class right now,” Bala chuckled. “You can call me uncle right now. Or you can call me what Ruhi calls me. Bala Periappa, that’s the Tamil word for uncle.”

“Okay uncle.”

“Let me introduce you to everyone else.” Bala went around the table introducing Adi’s Periamma, Tata, and Paati; however, he insisted on addressing everyone as uncle and aunty, not allowing himself to get too close to Ishita’s family. 

“Adi bhaiya! Adi bhaiya!” Introductions had just finished, and two fireballs of energy came running to the table. 

“Adi bhaiya, hum aapko kab se dhund rahe the!” Ruhi yelled. “Chaliye na humaare saath dance karne?!”

She and Shravu pulled Adi’s arms, dragging him to the dance floor. 

“Oye ruk ja! Maine bhi aana hai dance-shance karne!” Toshi exclaimed. “Madhu, chal uth. Tu bhi aaja.”

“No no Santoshi. Aiyyo main aise music pe dance nahi karti. Chee chee… Only classical Tamilian music…” Madhu touched her ears in a sign of reverence.

“Phir boriyat bhari baat. Tu baith to phir, main to chali apne bacche naal dance karne.”

Toshi hopped to the dance floor, feet thumping to the rhythm with her kids and grandkids. On the other side of the hall, Raman mingled with guests, acting as a gracious host, a certain feisty but bashful madrasan by his side.

“Hello Mr. Mehta,” Raman shook hands with one of his investors. “This is my wife, Dr. Ishita Bhalla. And Ishita, this is Mr. Kunal Mehta. He joined our business last year, and I hope he’s satisfied with our service.”

“More than satisfied Mr. Bhalla. We couldn’t be happier working with you. Nice to meet you Dr. Bhalla. I must say, it’s impressive to see Raman’s wife be just as accomplished as he is. Are you a medical doctor or do you have a P.h.D?”

“I’m a pediatric dentist…”

The conversation continued around their respective careers, but Ishita had a hard time focusing on anything else other than the feel of her husband’s hand on her lower back. She had been introduced to numerous clients, investors, associates, and businessmen, none of whom she remembered now, all the names and faces a blur. All she could remember was how she had been at her husband’s side throughout. One way or another, he had his hand on her, either on the small of her back, around her waist, or holding her hand. She welcomed his touch, but as much as she enjoyed it, this public display of affection was not her strong suit. 

“I’ll take your leave Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla. Congratulations again,” Mr. Mehta excused himself as their conversation ended. 

“Ishita, tum thik ho?” Raman turned to his wife, his hand moving from her back to her waist, grazing the bare expanse of skin between her blouse and saree. “I know you’re not used to this business scene. Kaafi boring hoga na?”

It was anything but, Ishita thought. She pushed his hand away, trying to control the shivers erupting in her body.

“Raman, aap kya kar rahe hai?” she whispered. 

“Kya kar raha hoon?” he whispered back, feigning innocence.

“Itna kareeb khade rehne ki kya zaroorat hai?”

“Kyun? Mere kareeb hone se problem hai?”

“Aisa… aisa kuch nahi hai…”

“To phir?” Raman stepped closer. “Kuch hota hai tumhe?” 

“N-Nahin… aisi koi baat nahi hai. Bas aise public mein accha nahin lagta. Aap ke itne saare clients aur colleagues hai yahan par. Kya sochenge?”

“Yahin sochenge ki ek pati apni patni ke saath khada hai, usse baatein kar raha hai.” He curled a loose tendril of her hair around her ear, grazing his knuckles on her ear and down her neck. 

“Raman!” she whisper-shouted, smiling shyly.

“Kya?” he whispered back, voice husky, lips turned upwards in a knowing smile.

The happy couple basked in the glow of their newfound love, unaware of a malicious pair of eyes trained on them. Shagun downed her drink, reapplied her lipstick, and flicked back her hair. She hated this. Absolutely hated it. She hated seeing her ex move on with his wife, making heart eyes at each other, especially when her own fiancé didn’t pay her any real attention, except in the confines of their mansion and their bedroom. Case in point, he had just left her alone at the table to join his brother at the bar. 

No, she wasn’t going to accept defeat. She ruled Ashok’s heart and she ruled Raman’s heart. And today, she’d prove it to herself.

Shagun’s rude arrival broke the bubble of bliss Ishita and Raman were wrapped in. 

“Hello Raman, kaise ho?” she asked, her nose held high. 

“I’m doing quite well, Shagun. What about you?” Raman smiled at his ex-wife, zero malice or hatred or anger on his visage. “I hope you’re enjoying the party.”

“I am. I must say, maine tumhe chod diya uske baad kaafi taste aa gaya hai tumhe. Such a glamorous party.”

“Well, all that credit goes to Mihir and Romi. They were the ones who organized such a grand party.”

“Oh I see… matlab tum abhi bhi waise hi ho jaise maina choda tha. Middle class and tasteless.”

Raman pressed his lips together, suppressing a smile. He knew Shagun well now. None of what she said affected him anymore, especially when it was aimed at him. This was her projecting her own frustrations at him.

“Yes, I’m exactly the same man I used to be. And I’m happy as is,” he said.

“I can see that.” Shagun smiled. “Same man, indeed.” The same man that loved me.

Ishita’s skin crawled. She heard the insinuation in Shagun’s voice. And she did not like it one bit. She snaked his hand through his arm and clutched tight. And it did not escape Shagun’s notice.

“Waise,” Raman began, “tumhara woh 6 foot 2 inch boyfriend nahi dikh raha?”

“He’s my fiancé, Raman. But it’s okay. I know you’ve always had a hard time accepting that I’m not with you anymore… Especially, when you’re in a marriage of convenience with the caretaker of our daughter,” she sneered. 

“Don’t you dare say a word against Ishita,” Raman growled. He’d take any attack on himself, but not on his wife. Never on his wife.

Ishita’s stomach curled. Her hand around Raman’s arm grew tighter and she stepped closer. Gone was the shy, bashful woman from before. Maybe it was Shagun’s haughty voice insinuating that Raman was still alone or inferior; maybe it was the glint in her eyes and vain look telling her that she wasn’t of the standard to be the Raman Bhalla’s woman. But she was infused with a sense of courage so profound, it urged her to lay her claim on her man, to tell the world he wasn’t alone and never will be.

“She’s the mother of our daughter.” Raman continued his tirade to Shagun. “Ishita's and mine. Ruhi means nothing to you. And as far as our marriage goes, then what I have with Ishita is far more real than anything I ever had with you.” He rubbed his fingers on Ishita’s hand that was curled around his arm. 

“Shagun, why don’t you go enjoy the party?” Ishita said with unending grace. Her husband’s words had infused her with confidence, and the self-assured woman in her had returned. “Appetizers and drinks are being served. And the dinner course will start soon. You’ll have to excuse us. We have more of our guests to meet. Thanks again for being a part of our celebration.”

Ishita and Raman stepped away, waving to an old colleague of his who had just arrived with his wife. Shagun watched them walk away, hands intertwined, and her eyes glistened with angry tears. Because somehow, her ex had achieved in eight months what she couldn’t in five years. A team. That’s what Raman and Ishita were. In the way they defended each other, stood by each other. A team. Something she couldn’t build with Ashok in all these years, no matter how hard she tried. 

“Waiter, get me another drink,” she asked, roughly. 

On the other side of the room, Raman continued greeting his guests, introducing everyone to his wife with pride. 

“Oh wow, that’s impressive,” Raman’s colleague Karan replied. “Pediatric dentist, huh? I have to say Raman, your wife is giving you tough competition.”

“There’s no denying it,” Raman replied.

“Well, it’s not like I have much of a choice,” Ishita said. “When you’re married to such a distinguished man, you have to do everything possible to keep up, right?”

“Seriously you guys,” Deepa, Karan’s wife said. “You both are too sweet. How long have you been married?”

“Eight months,” Ishita replied. 

“Longest eight months of my life,” Raman joked.

Laughter erupted all around.

It wasn’t until twenty minutes later, when they were spared a moment of respite. 

“Raman, ab to chod dijiye mujhe?” Ishita whispered. “Aap waise bhi sabhi logo ko apni kam, aur meri baatein zyada kar rahe hai. Kaisa lagega?”

“Aisa lagega ki mujhe apni patni par garv hai. That I’m proud to have you as my wife.” And I love you. “And don’t blame me, madrasan. Look at you. You’re the one who's been clinging to my arm for the past twenty minutes.” 

He raised his eyebrows and looked at her hands that were intertwined with his arm. Immediately, she dropped her arms, self-conscious and embarrassed.

“Ab kyun sharma rahi ho?” Raman chuckled. “Ab tum batao, itni himmat kaha se aayi tum mein?”

“Jhansi ki Rani kehte ho na mujhe? Himmat to hogi hi na,” she replied.

“Sirf itni si baat hai? Aur koi wajah nahi thi, mera haath pakad ne ki?”

Ishita squirmed. What answer would she give?

“Kyun madrasan? Bolti band?”

“Raman, aisi koi baat nahi hai… Main bas… Mujhe bas duniya ko dikhana tha ki ab aap akele nahi hai. Main hoon aapke saath.”

“Accha? Is that a promise, Dr. Bhalla?”

“It’s more than a promise. It’s a vow. A lifelong vow.”

Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaaye

Jab Koi Mushkil Pad Jaaye

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

Naa Koi Hai Na Koi Tha

Zindage Mein Tumhaare Siva

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

As if on cue, the music changed to a soft ballad, couples slowly gathering for a dance, including Mihir-Mihika, Vandu-Bala, Simi-Pulkit and many other guests. 

Ishita grabbed Raman’s hand and led him to the dance floor. He had always been the one to take the lead in situations like this. Today, however, having found the courage to be more expressive, she took the lead. She guided his hand to her waist and snaked her own around his neck, as they began swaying to the beat. 

“Oh my god Mihir!” Mihika squealed with joy. “Look at jeeju and akka!”

“I know Miku, they look good together, don’t they?”

“Not just that buddhu, they look so in love!”

Mihir and Mihika were not the only ones who noticed the two lovebirds. Bala turned Vandu’s chin towards them, who chuckled at her sister. So much for her insistence that this was a marriage of convenience, of co-parents only. 

Ho Chaandni Jab Tak

Raat Deta Hai Har Koi Saath

Tum Magar Andheron Mein

Na Chhodna Mera Haath

Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaaye

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

Na Koi Hai Na Koi Tha

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

Toshi had now re-joined the table with the kids after their dance. She elbowed Madhu, gesturing at Ishita and Raman, sighing in delight at their closeness. Ruhi giggled from Romi’s lap.

“Chachu, apna phone dijiye na? Mujhe mumma aur papa ki pictures leni hai,” she said.

As Ruhi jumped up, taking pictures on Romi’s phone, Adi observed all the couples on the dance floor. Papa and Ishita aunty, Mihir mama and Mihika aunty, Bala sir and Vandu aunty, Simi bua and Pulkit uncle. They were all so in love, so happy. He looked around for his mom. Where was she? Why wasn’t she dancing with Ashok uncle? 

His eyes fell on his mother, nursing a wine at the bar, while Ashok uncle chatted away with Suraj uncle and other men, eyeing a waitress who served him a whiskey. And he couldn’t deny the complete lack of love and warmth he observed. Again, his mind warred with his heart, between what he saw and what he was told. 

Wafadaari Ki Vo Rasmein

Nibhayenge Hum Tum Kasmein

Ek Bhi Saans Zindagi Ki

Jab Tak Ho Apne Bas Mein

Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaaye

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

Na Koi Hai Na Koi Tha

Tum Dena Saath Mera

O Humnawaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7C35WxKno

7 pm - Dinnertime

“Adi, try this beta. This is payasam, a famous South Indian dish.” Madhu served him a scoop of payasam, rivaling Toshi’s insistence to serve him parathas and paneer. 

“Aunty this is enough!” Adi laughed. 

“Bas karo Madhu,” Vishwa intervened. “Let Adi eat what he wants. He’ll ask if he wants anything, right beta?” 

“Right Vishwa uncle.”

Adi ate a spoonful of payasam, reveling in the laughter and joy surrounding him. He ate dinner with both sets of grandparents, as well as Ruhi and Shravan, who wanted to be spoiled and pampered by their grandparents. Even so, Vandu and Ishita had stopped by occasionally to make sure Ruhi and Shravu were eating properly. To his surprise, Ishita aunty had also checked on him. To his disappointment, Shagun mom hadn’t stopped by once. 

Romi, Mihir, and Raman (who had painfully left his wife’s side) sat for dinner with their staff, while the rest of the adults sat at another table.

“I’m going to get another glass of juice,” Ishita said. “Kisi aur ko kuch chahiye?” 

As everyone shook their heads in the negative, Ishita left the table to refill her glass of juice. Vandu gestured at Mihika, conversing in some silent language, and followed their sister. 

“Ishu, tumhara aur Raman ka chal kya raha hai, hmmm?” Vandu asked, tapping Ishita’s shoulder. 

Ishita turned around and found herself bombarded by her sisters. 

“W-what are you saying, akka?” she asked, cheeks red and voice quivering.

“What am I saying?” Vandu dropped her hands to her hips. “I’m talking about you and your husband. Or should I say, your apparently ‘fake’ husband that you’ve been clinging to?”

“Yeah Akka, you’ve been stuck to jeeju’s side all night long,” Mihika drawled, bumping her sister’s shoulder. “In fact, you’ve been so occupied with him recently, you’ve completely forgotten about us.”

“You-you’re one to talk, Miku! You’re the one stuck with Mihir 24/7 nowadays. When was the last time you met us? Or even talked to us?” Ishita tried turning the tables on her sister. Unfortunately, it didn’t work.

“That’s because I love Mihir, and I can’t wait to marry him. So I’m with him all the time. Is that the same case for you and jeeju?”

“Correct Miku!” Vandu chimed in. “I also love Bala with all my heart, so I’m with him all the time. Are you ready to accept that you love Raman? Huh Ishu?”

Ishita was dumbfounded. She had barely just come to terms with her own feelings. She loved her sisters, but these chatterboxes would tell the world before she had a chance to figure them out herself. 

“Enough you two. Main jaa rahi hoon.”

“Aiyyo Ishu, apna juice to leti jaa!” Vandu called out as Ishita ran back to her table, followed by her sisters. 

Dinner came to an end soon, but the party was yet to finish. Ruhi and Shravu re-joined the dance floor with their aunts and uncles, and Adi wiped his hands to follow, only for him to encounter a rude interruption. 

“Adi, come on. We’re going home.” Shagun stood in front of him, hands crossed across her chest, with Ashok at her heels. Neither of them were in the mood to continue witnessing Raman Bhalla’s success. 

Adi frowned. He had been having so much fun. Did he really have to go so soon?

“Mom, can’t we stay a bit longer? I’m having so much fun!”

“Adi, can’t you just listen to your mother for once?!” Shagun screamed. Ashok grew impatient behind her. 

Instinctively, Toshi’s hands went around her grandson. “Oye, aise chillati kyun hai bacche pe?! Use rukna hai to rehne de. Apne parivaar ke saath hi hai woh.”

Before she could spew any other nonsense, Raman had arrived sensing the growing tension from afar. 

“Is everything okay here?” he asked. His mother explained the situation, and he turned to his ex-wife.

“Shagun, if Adi wants to stay with his dad and family, it shouldn’t be a problem, right? It’s the weekend after all. Why doesn’t he stay with us for the weekend? In fact, you don’t have to worry about packing him a bag or anything. We’ll go shopping and get him some new clothes for the weekend. What do you say, Adi?”

Adi’s face lit up. “I’d love to! If mom is okay with it…” He turned to his mother, hope etched on his face.

By then, Ashok had lost his patience. “Do whatever the hell you guys want. I’m going to the car, Shagun.”

Shagun saw her fiancé leave the hall and grew anxious. Ashok would be in a bad mood all night and she’d be busy dealing with him. Maybe it was for the best if Adi wasn’t at home for the weekend. 

“Fine, you can stay, Adi. But beta, make sure to call me if you need anything at all, okay? I have to go.”

After a quick hug and kiss to her son, Shagun left, leaving the Bhallas happier than she had found them, unlike her usual tendency. For they were finally rewarded with an entire weekend with their son at home. 

Bhalla House - 11 pm

The family climbed upstairs to their flat, sleepy and exhausted. The party had been very fun but it had also drained everyone of their energy. They were bound to fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow. Or, in the case of little Ruhi and Shravu, they had already fallen asleep. Raman carried Ruhi upstairs in his arms, while Rinki guided Adi. Omprakash and Toshi followed behind, with Ishita and Romi at their tail. The stumble in his step and the slur of his speech didn’t escape his bhabhi’s notice.

Omprakash unlocked their flat and everyone filed inside, going straight to bed. Raman carried Ruhi to her room, while Ishita guided Adi to the guest room. As tired as he was, he headed straight to the bed, only to be stopped by Ishita.

“Wait beta! I’ll get you some of Romi’s old clothes to change into. You'll be uncomfortable sleeping in formal wear. And let me get you a spare toothbrush. Don’t go to sleep without brushing your teeth,” she insisted.

“Aunty, please… Just let me go to sleep!” Adi moaned.

“No beta, please! Just wait here.”

Ishita sat Adi down on the bed and ran outside. Once she had retrieved everything she went out for and returned, she found Adi slumped on his side on the bed. She sighed and pulled him upright.

“Adi beta, utho na baba. Just change your clothes and brush your teeth, okay? Then you can sleep in as long as you like.”

“Ugh! Just let me sleep please! You’re so annoying…” he mumbled. 

“Yes, I know beta,” Ishita chuckled. “Every mom is annoying sometimes.”

She nudged Adi into the guest bathroom with a toothbrush, toothpaste, and Romi’s old shorts and t-shirt. Five minutes later, he came outside, eyes heavy with sleep, legs stumbling with exhaustion.

“Are you happy now?” he yawned. “Dad’s right. You really are a stubborn Jhansi ki Rani.”

“Very happy,” Ishita chuckled. “Now go to sleep. Come.”

Ishita pulled back the covers, and Adi climbed in. He pulled the blanket to his chin and instantly fell asleep. Ishita gently caressed his head lovingly before she left to attend to another son of the house. 

Ten minutes later, she entered Romi’s room with a glass of vegetable sludge and a bottle of Advil. Romi was already asleep but his bhabhi was on a mission.

“Romi, Romi! Wake up!” She shook him awake. 

“Huh? What-what’s wrong?” he asked, half-asleep and half-awake.

“I have this beet and kale smoothie for you. Drink this, and take a couple Advils. Or you’ll be hungover tomorrow.”

“Bhabhi, let me sleep na,” Romi yawned.

“Nope. Drink this and take your pills first.”

In spite of Romi’s groans and protests, Ishita urged him to finish the juice and pills. She insisted on him brushing his teeth as well, but this time he staunchly refused, and even the Jhansi ki Rani couldn’t convince him otherwise. Oh well. Two victories out of three was not bad. 

Bhalla House - The next day, Saturday, March 15, 8:30 pm

“Mumma, I want more noodles!” Ruhi exclaimed.

“Noodles mere paas hai. Yeh le Ruhi, main deti hoon,” Rinki said.

“Adi beta, aap ko aur pasta doon? Ya phir pizza?” Ishita asked. 

“I’m fine Aunty,” Adi replied. 

“Madrasan, mujhe aur mere bete dono ko ek-ek slice pizza de do. We’ll both have one, right Adi?” Raman asked. He knew his son was still quite shy. He wouldn’t ask for anything on his own.

Adi nodded and Ishita placed a slice in both her husband and stepson’s plates. It was a joyous time. Adi had come home, even if it was for a temporary visit, and everyone’s faces had lit up. 

The morning had been quite slow, as everyone woke up late, having tea or coffee and a very light brunch. Disappointed at the lack of excitement, Toshi demanded an elaborate dinner for her grandson. When Ishita had asked Adi’s preference for dinner, he said he was okay with anything, while Ruhi demanded Chinese. Therefore, at Raman’s insistence, Ishita had decided on a combination of both Chinese (Ruhi’s favorite) and Italian (Raman and Adi’s favorite) for dinner. 

While Raman and Romi had taken Adi out to shop for clothes, Ishita and Rinki had gone out to pick up their orders of Schezwan noodles, fried rice, manchurian, fettuccine alfredo, penne marinara pasta, and both chicken and veggie pizza, which the family now relished. 

As dinner came to an end, they were distracted by a knock on their open door. 

“Hello, hum andar aa sakte hai?” 

“Mihir, Mihika! Come in, come in!” Ishita beckoned them inside, as Neelu cleaned up the table and kitchen.

“The newest lovebirds in town!” Rinki beamed from the armchair.

“Nuh-uh Rinki, we’ve been unseated from that title,” Mihir said. “The newest lovebirds in town are now-”

“Finish that sentence, and I’ll finish you right now,” Raman threatened, eliciting laughs all around, leaving Ishita mortified.

“Bas do minute late aaye tum dono,” Toshi said. “Hum log abhi abhi khaana khaa kar khade huye.”

“Nahin nahin mummyji, hum waise bhi kuch nahi khaate. Hum dono ne abhi abhi periamma ke haath ka khaana khaaya hai, aur mera pet pura har gaya hai by god,” Mihir replied. “Hum log to yahan ek good news sunaane aaye hai.”

“Kya?”

“Boliye madam…” Mihir gestured to Mihika.

“Wait just a minute…” she said.

Mihika turned her head to the door and saw Madhu and Vishwa arrive. Now it was time to announce the news.

“Okay, so… Periamma ne apne pandit se baat kar li hai, aur humaari shaadi ki date final ho gayi hai! May 19th ko!”

“Oh my god!”

“That’s amazing!”

“Congratulations!”

Hugs and cheers and hoots erupted all around, as everyone congratulated the to-be bride and groom. Mihir gave an especially tight hug to his sister/bhabhi, high-fiving her at her help to pacify Mihika two weeks ago. 

“Congratulations chachu! Congratulations chitti!” Ruhi hugged them both around their waist.

Mihir picked her up in his arms and sat down. “Oye Ruhi chuhi, ab chitti nahi, chachi bol use. Tumhare chachu ki biwi banegi na woh?”

Mihika gasped. “No! Not at all!” She sat down next to her fiancé and niece. “In fact Ru, aapko ise Mihir chittappa kehna chahiye. Chitti ke husband.”

The playful argument continued and Ruhi erupted into squeals of laughter, deciding to continue calling Mihir as chachu and Mihika as chitti. However, the argument brought up many questions in Adi’s mind.

“Mihir mama, why does Ruhi call you chachu?” he asked. “Chacha means dad’s brother, right? But you’re our mom’s brother. Our mama.”

The happy environment immediately went quiet. 

“Did I say something wrong?” Adi asked, unnerved.

“No beta, not at all,” Mihir said. “Actually, Ruhi has never been with Shagun, right? Ishita is her mom. And I call your father Raman bhai. So that’s why she calls me chachu.”

Adi thought long and hard. It made sense. Sure. But what didn’t make sense was that Mihir mama had decided to stay with Raman dad instead of Shagun mom after the divorce. 

“Mama, can I ask something else?” he asked. 

“Sure beta,” Mihir replied.

“Why don’t you ever come to meet mom? She’s your sister after all.”

Mihir looked at Raman and Ishita, tongue-tied. How would he explain to Adi his own mother’s selfishness and toxicity?

“I suppose that’s my fault,” Raman intervened. “I keep your mama too busy at the office,” he chuckled. 

Adi knew very well that his father was diverting the topic. There was something deeper behind his mother and his mama’s strained relationship. But he was too uncomfortable to take the topic any further. 

“Waise, ab itna accha dinner ho gaya, to aage ka kya plan hai?” Ishita asked the crowd, hoping to brighten up the mood. 

“We could go to the arcade…” Rinki suggested.

“How about a football match?” Romi asked.

“Not right after eating,” Toshi answered.

“Maybe a movie?” Mihika suggested.

“Yes! Let’s watch a movie together! Family movie time!” Ruhi jumped up with excitement.

“Adi, it’s up to you. Why don’t you choose?” Ishita asked.

“Um…” Adi was confused. All the suggestions were to his liking, and he couldn’t decide. But he could easily see the excitement and hope etched on his sister’s face. “Let’s watch a movie together.”

“Yay!” Ruhi yelled. “Can we watch Tangled?! Please! It’s Rapunzel’s story but by Disney!”

“No Ruhi. Aaj Adi bhaiya ka din hai na? To woh choose karenge. Adi, tum bolo,” Ishita insisted.

“No Aunty… It’s okay… We can watch whatever Ruhi wants,” he said.

No sooner had he said those words, did Ruhi run up to the TV to start the movie. She grabbed the remote and turned on Disney+. 

“Are you sure, Adi?” Ishita asked. “Ruhi is always this excited and stubborn. You don’t have to give in to whatever she wants all the time. We can watch something less girly. Something that you want.” She still hadn’t forgotten his reaction to the hot pink band-aid. 

“It’s okay aunty. I’m fine with it.” He was too shy to say otherwise anyway. 

So then, the family gathered around, pulling up chairs and bean bags around the TV as Tangled played on the screen. Ruhi sat in Raman’s lap, Adi on their right, and Ishita on their left, surrounded by the rest of the family, Iyers and Bhallas included. 

The movie played on, and everyone’s attention was glued to the screen. Unlike many other of Ruhi’s barbie movies, this one was quite entertaining, even for the older crowd. It was a mixture of comedy and drama with a touch of romance. Speaking of which, its most romantic song played on the TV, as the sun disappeared outside, the sky twinkling with stars.

All those days watching from the windows

All those years outside looking in

All that time never even knowing

Just how blind I've been

Now I'm here blinking in the starlight

Now I'm here suddenly I see

Standing here it's all so clear

I'm where I'm meant to be

And at last I see the light

And it's like the fog has lifted

And it's like the sky is new

And it's warm and real and bright

And the world has somehow shifted

All at once everything looks different

Now that I see you

Ishita smiled as the words resonated with her. She truly had been blind all these years. Thinking that she had everything she wanted in Chennai, when in reality, her family, her life, her future waited for her in Delhi. Now that she was here, sitting in the starlight of the Delhi sky, surrounded by her family, her husband and children, she knew. The fog had lifted, her vision was clear, and she knew. She was exactly where she was meant to be.

All those days chasing down a daydream

All those years living in a blur

All that time never truly seeing

Things, the way they were

Now she's here shining in the starlight

Now she's here suddenly I know

If she's here it's crystal clear

I'm where I'm meant to go

And it's like the fog has lifted

And it's like the sky is new

And it's warm and real and bright

And the world has somehow shifted

All at once everything is different

Now that I see you

Now that I see you

Raman pulled his kids closer, as the words of the song settled in his chest. He had spent five long years in a blur, in a haze, chasing a dream that didn’t fulfill him, blind to where his true happiness lay. But now… now he knew real happiness, real love. Because she was here. He turned his eyes to his wife and smiled. She was here, his children were here, and he knew. He had finally reached where he was meant to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILRs2r6lcHY

-RKB- thumbnail

Superb.. Amazing  update......  Ishita released her love.. Seen at Iyer door was Awesome and fun to read.. Lunch with her husband was best part of the update..conversation with Adi..very well written.. 

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

All the five parts were really very nice please update next part soon 

--QUEEN-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Sorry never commented here, because I read only IshRa parts and skip all sideys parts. Ur IshRa parts are very much organic, and I can only imagine the 11p.m room in my head reading your IshRa🥰, never get that 7:30p.m. wali frustration🙏. Now since you are entering into Mani zone, I am really looking forward how you gonna handle IshRa here, because the way Raman is in the show, I can never expect him not to lose his cool, and the way Raman-Ishita equation have changed in your story, I don't see Raman losing his cool is coming. 

In the show, when Subbu or Mani thing comes up, the possesive nature of him for Ishita that bursts out is one such an amazing way to show what his heart holds for Ishita🥰. 

Whatever you write, I am waiting for it

Again sorry never commented here because I read only IshRa parts and skip the rest, so really don't know what's going on with the story, so never commented. 

-RKB- thumbnail

Amazing update yaar....And wrote every seen beautifully... I love to read how Raman's reaction was when ishita told about her interaction with Adi at football ground.. 

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Part 42

Wow an amazing update!! Ishita has finally realised her feelings!!!!❤️☺️

Light bulb situation was great - loved Raman's comments to amma and appa!!🤗😆

Ishita brought lunch at the office for everyone yayyyy!!

Raman wanting to get away from the haddies!!😆 sharing one plate and feeding each other so sweet and touching!!

You know on the show I did not like Mani track - but I like your take on it so far - the way you introduced him - so no misunderstanding and also sharing the situation with Raman and how he supports her - outstanding!!!

I never like jealousy tracks but I am sure you will do this track great justice!⭐️

Thank you so much for taking my suggestion about Adi and Ishita - you tackled it brilliantly👏 I like this Adi always thinking that his elders should not apologise to youngsters and even stopped Ishita - absolutely amazing!!

Thank you once again!!

Now I am going to read part 43 and will comment on that after!

Oh I also wanted to say that I love reading each line thoroughly as each one is loaded with so much emotion - I read each part twice - call me mad but I really love your twist on each track - absolutely fabulous!!!🥳👏