Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Part 40

Bhalla House - Two days later, Saturday, 8th Feb, 9 am

"Thanks Pathak, that's perfect. You did good." Raman hung up the phone and took a sip of his tea. He closed the phone app and opened his messages to send out a quick text, before tossing it on the dining table. He picked up the newspaper again and an almost devilish smirk creeped up on his face. 

"What's that expression on your face Ravan Kumar?" Ishita asked, raising her eyebrow in suspicion. She was coming to sit down in front of her husband on the table with her own cup of tea, and began fixing a plate of breakfast for herself.

"Nothing you need to be concerned with." Raman turned the page in his newspaper. 

"Oh heavens, what did you do?" Ishita asked, exasperated. She could see the wheels turning in her husband's head, and that didn't always promise good news.

"Tum apne kaam se kaam nahi rakh sakti kya, madrasan?!" He folded and threw down his newspaper on the adjacent seat. "Har baar jaasoosi karna zaroori hai?"

"Raman, tell me the truth. Kal itna tension ho gaya tha phir bhi aap muskuraa rahe ho? Kuch to baat huyi hai. Kuch to kiya hai aapne..." Ishita asked. She was growing worried. 

"Fine," he whispered and leaned in. "But no one's around, right? Main nahi chahta kisi ko is sab ka tension ho."

"Nahi, koi aas paas nahi hai. Amma abhi abhi Ruhi ko le gayi Tamilian breakfast ke liye aur baaki sab so rahe hai. I think papaji shayad bahar gaye hai, but no one's around here."

"Okay then, listen up..."

Flashback begins @ Raman's office yesterday afternoon...

"RAMAN BHALLA! BAHAR NIKAL!" Ashok's voice boomed from out of his office doors and Raman smiled in his chair. His plan had worked perfectly. Footsteps sounded outside his cabin and then the double doors burst open.

Raman leaned back in his chair, amusement dancing in his eyes at the scene unfolding in front of him. Ashok Khanna stomped in barely restrained by two security guards, face fuming and steam whistling from his ears. Raman secretly wished Mihir or Romi or even Pathak was around to witness this absolute gem of a scene. 

"Kya baat hai 6 foot 2 inch? Aaj aap humaare chote se office mein padhaare? Kaise aana hua?" he quipped, feigning innocence.

"Don't act smart Raman," Ashok fumed. "What the hell did you do? Why are my clients suddenly uninterested in this deal? I just sat through a torturous 'family dinner' last night to get that deal and then you come nosing your way through my business?!" He advanced towards Raman, but was once again pushed back by the security guards. 

"Aap dono jaao, main isse baat karta hoon," Raman told the guards. Neither of them were comfortable with leaving their boss in front of this aggressive man, but orders were orders. 

"We'll be right outside sir. We notice any sign of trouble and will come blasting in." They glanced at both Raman and Ashok, reassuring the former, threatening the latter. The guards left, and Raman stood up, buttoning his coat and straightening his tie. 

"Now Ashok, why don't you tell me what the problem is? I'm sure we can figure this out. Peacefully." Raman smiled at his opponent.

"My deal with Mr. Ahuja was practically sealed," Ashok gritted through his teeth, making no effort to mask his rage. "But suddenly this morning they called me saying they were getting a better offer from your company. Now tell me Raman, if it took me one month to get them to agree to the deal, how did you accomplish it in less than twelve hours?"

Raman smiled. It was true that he was a great businessman, but poaching a client from a rival company in less than a day was impossible. The truth was, he had heard from a friend of Mihir's (who happened to be at the same Roseo Italian Restaurant last night) that the client Ashok was so eager to impress was none other than Aarav Ahuja, Raman's next door neighbor in Mumbai. They had both started their businesses together and took much advice from each other in Raman's early days in Mumbai. Their products and marketing strategies belonged to different circles and they were targeting different audiences, so the opportunity to do business together had never presented itself. Aarav had gotten married in a couple years and relocated to Bangalore with his wife and converted his business to a web-based platform, eventually losing touch with Raman. But last night, Raman had taken advantage of the opportunity and called Aarav to reconnect with him. After an hour long chat in which they caught up on the newest developments in their lives (Aarav was now a proud father to twin boys), Raman had mentioned that a friend of his had seen him in Delhi. After a sound scolding for not coming to visit even though he was in the city, Raman found out from him that Aarav was now looking for a company to partner with to expand the reach of his online business. And he had chosen Ashok Khanna's company. Aarav had attempted to apologize for not doing business with Raman, but he refused to hear it. "You made the right decision yaar," he had assured his friend. The needs of Aarav's business aligned much more with Ashok's expertise, and Raman's office was already swamped. Whatever personal issues he had with the guy, Raman was a businessman in his mind. "I just have one small favor to ask of you though. Can you stall this deal for a bit?" It was an unusual request, but Aarav didn't ask questions. He owed Raman a lot more than one favor. And so, Mr. Ahuja had called Ashok, pretending to have received a better offer from Raman and asking for more time to reconsider the deal.

"What can I say 6 foot 2 inch, I'm just that good," Raman smirked. He slid his hands into his pants pockets and stepped out in front of his opponent. "Such a shame for you though, having to lose another big client to our office. Again." He put extra emphasis on the last word to rub salt into Ashok's wounds.

His nostrils flared. "Cut the crap Raman. Just tell me what you want."

"I want you and your fianceé to stop interfering with my relationship with Adi. He can meet us whenever and wherever he likes and none of you can stop him or blame him or guilt him. Get me a signed document with both of you swearing to these terms, and I'll drop my dealings with Mr. Ahuja."

"Never! Impossible!" Ashok had stormed out, infuriated. 

But Raman wasn't worried. Because once his brother Suraj heard about Raman's demands, he had twisted Ashok's arm into signing the terms. He had even threatened Shagun to throw her out of the house if she didn't comply, so none of her tantrums worked. Suraj was always the calm, cool-minded brother, and he knew very well that they couldn't afford to lose this client, and definitely not to Raman Bhalla again. Ashok's ego and Shagun's pride be damned.

Flashback ends...

"That was Pathak on the phone. He was just hand-delivered the signed agreement and all our terms have been met. So I sent a message to Aarav saying he was okay to go ahead with the deal again." 

Ishita stared in shock at her husband. "So you weren't ever planning on actually signing a deal with Mr. Ahuja? This was all a ruse to get this signed agreement?"

"Yup. The best part now, is that if Ashok or Shagun violate the terms of this agreement, then for violating a signed contract, they'll go to jail first and prove their innocence later. In the event of a court case, they might be able to wiggle out of it, but for someone like Shagun, even a single night in jail is unimaginable." Raman drank his last sip of tea.

"I don't believe it Raman... That's so-"

"Evil?" Raman finished her sentence.

"I was going to say unorthodox. Is that even okay? I mean doesn't it break any rules or law?"

Raman sighed. "Ishita, not everyone works with a set of morals and rules like we do. Sometimes we need to find other ways to deal with crooks like Ashok. This isn't how I do business with anyone, not even Ashok. But this is about Adi, our family. Ashok's done enough damage already, and that too by using much more deplorable methods than this. At least with this, we now have visitation rights. That gives us enough time to build a relationship with Adi. Once he is attached to us again, we can sue for custody." 

Ishita nodded and nibbled on a bite of paratha. She had known that her husband was a great businessman, but she didn't know until now how ruthless and cunning he was. She had expected it to scare her, but instead, an unfamiliar thrill ran through her veins. Her husband never compromised on his morals when it came to business; every deal he won or lost, he did so with grace. But if someone, if anyone threatened their family, they were a deer going into the lion's den. This protective, alpha stance of her husband thrilled Ishita to no end. 

"Ishimaa! Papa!" Ruhi came running through the front door. "Main Tata aur Paati ke saath Murugan ke temple jaau? Woh log puja aur afternoon ke prasad ke liye jaa rahe hai."

"Aap ne breakfast kiya baby?" Ishita asked. 

"Haa, maine one dosa aur three idlis khaayi." 

"Okay, to phir tum temple jaa sakti ho. Aap ko change-"

"Nahi Ru, not today," Raman interrupted. "Aap aaj nahi jaa sakte, sorry."

Ishita sighed. Were they about to get into the whole Punjabi-Madrasi feud right now? Again?

"Raman," she whispered. "It's one thing for Amma and Mummyji to fight about this stuff, but what objection could you have-"

"Calm down, meri Jhansi ki Rani. Shaant..." He raised his hands in surrender. "Ruhi ko main isiliye mana kar raha hoon, kyunki maine hum teeno ke liye aaj aur kal ki ek picnic plan ki hai, choti si."

"Really?" Ishita's eyebrows shot up. 

"Really papa?!" Ruhi ran to her father and jumped into his lap, hugging him tight. "Thank you papa, thank you so much! Hum log kahan jaa rahe hai?"

"Woh surprise hai, Ru. Aap jaao aur packing shuru karo. You'll need your swimsuit, sunscreen, and two pairs of clothes. Go!" 

Ruhi ran to her room leaving her baffled mother staring at her chuckling father.

"Raman, kya hai yeh? Hum log kahan jaa rahe hai?" she asked.

"Abhi abhi to bola maine, surprise hai."

"Surprise Ruhi ke liye hoga. Lekin mujhe to aap bata hi sakte ho."

"Nahi madrasan, surprise khaas tere liye hi hai."

Ishita's heart fluttered. The way it was going, she was going to have to visit a cardiologist soon. 

"Lekin..." Ishita cleared her throat. "Hum abhi achaanak kyun jaa rahe hai? Aur aapne mummyji ya papaji ko kuch bataya bhi hai? Unki permission li bhi ya nahi?"

"Ishita, it's been almost four months since we went out on a trip like this. Besides, we're not teenagers sneaking out for a party that I need to get our parents' permission. I'm taking my wife and daughter out for a surprise trip. Who can stop me?"

There was that damn heart flutter again. The organ in Ishita's chest seemed to bounce all around. 

"Tumhara khaana ho gaya ho, to jaa kar packing karogi? Ya ek aur paratha du?" Raman teased. 

"Mera ho gaya hai. Aur packing main akeli nahi karungi. Aap bhi aayiye, warna agar aapki koi cheez reh gayi, to phir mujhe blame mat karna." She dropped her plate in the sink and washed her hands, before stomping off to their bedroom. 

"Fine, main aa raha hoon. Lekin tum please apni kanjeevaram sarees pack mat karna. Wear something young and stylish." He followed her into the bedroom. "You need to compete with me after all. Pata hai, aaj bhi log mujhe Romi aur Rinki ka chota bhai samajte hai."

Ishita clicked her tongue in disappointment as she removed a travel size handbag from under the bed. "You know there is a fine line between confidence and airheaded insanity. Why don't you just call yourself Ruhi's brother since you're sooo young?"

Raman and Ishita engaged in their signature push and pull as they packed for their trip. The past few weeks had been stressful, laced with a tension no one had been able to break. Adi's return to their lives had sent everything into chaos, introducing stress into Ishita, Raman, and Ruhi's lives. Raman especially, had been feeling guilty for months, afraid that he had inadvertently been ignoring Ruhi and her needs as he focused on Adi. Ishita was always quick to assure him that that was not the case, but he couldn't afford dropping the ball on his responsibilities towards his daughter. She needed attention from her parents just as much (if not more) than her brother.

He had also not missed the stress this entire ordeal caused Ishita. She had been extremely supportive but unanswered questions still remained regarding her equation with Adi. Truth be told, Raman didn't have any answers yet. So he wracked his brain for something else he could give her. And so he had whipped up this plan several days ago, only for it to come to fruition today. He took a deep breath, trying to replace the anxiety in his lungs with oxygen, hoping to high heaven Ishita liked this surprise of his. 

.....................................................................................................................

Raman and Ishita's car, on the Delhi Highway - 11 am

It took much longer than expected, but they had finally gotten their bag packed and hit the road. Naturally, both mothers had lots of questions and concerns; they insisted on making food and packing some for their trip, but Raman had deftly avoided them while ushering his wife and daughter out of the door. They had just merged onto the ramp of the state highway taking them out of the city to their destination. 

"Are you still not going to tell me where we're going, Raman?" Ishita asked. Again. 

"Madrasan, for once in your life, just be cool. I'm not taking you to the jungles of Africa. It's a nice place. You'll like it," Raman sighed. 

Having lost the fight again, Ishita sat back in her seat and opened her book, Pride and Prejudice. It was an all-time favorite of hers and her sisters, although Ishita took special pride in the fact that she was the only one of the three who had read the book three times now. Jane Austen will forever be one of her favorite authors.

"Oh no!" Ruhi cried from the back seat.

"Kya hua Ru?" Ishita turned around in alarm.

"Main apne headphones bhul gayi!"

"Oh sirf itni si baat?" Ishita breathed a sigh of relief. Her daughter was a true drama queen. "Aapko music hi sunna hai to hum radio par kuch chalaate hai, thik hai?"

Ishita turned on the radio and dialed up the volume. She was pleasantly surprised by the song that played, a soft smile gracing her lips. 

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

Do chaar din se lagta hai jaise

Sab kuch alag hai

Sab kuch naya hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

"What are you reading," Raman asked, trying to make conversation.

Ishita showed him the front cover of the book. "Pride and Prejudice," she answered. "One of my favorite books. Have you read it?"

"No, but I've seen the movie. I know the gist of what happens."

"And...? What's your opinion of it?"

"It's okay, I guess," he shrugged.

Ishita's jaw dropped and eyes bulged in horror. It's okay? That was his opinion of such a literary masterpiece?

"It's a lot more than just okay, Raman. It's a timeless classic. It's the epitome of romance."

"Really? What makes you think that?"

"Mr. Darcy's selflessness and basically everything he does for Elizabeth. He gets rejected after his first proposal but his love for Lizzie only grows. Everything he does is for her. And he changes himself, not because Lizzie asks him to, but because he wants to. For her."

Much like the man sitting beside her, she thought. The reason behind her fluttering heart, the object of her deepest thoughts, the cause of her brightest smiles.

Cheezein mein rakh ke

Bhool jaati hoon

Bekhayaali mein gungunati hoon

Ab akele mein muskuraati hoon

Badli hui si meri ada hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

"Is that what every woman wants?" Raman asked. "A man who changes for her? Without her asking?" What did he need to change about himself, to give his wife what she wanted?

"Not necessarily Raman." Ishita leaned back and closed her book. She enjoyed this conversation too much to read anytime soon. "My point is women can't change their men. Lots of girls think they can change or mellow out a man but that doesn't happen, unless the man himself wants to change himself. And the change has to be selfless. He can't expect for the woman to reciprocate the feelings just because he changed himself. That's what's so great about Mr. Darcy. At the end, he literally says, 'My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever.' No expectations, no coercion, just love."

Raman pondered his own feelings for his wife at this revelation. He was no stranger anymore to the paradox of warmth and peace along with passion and desire that Ishita elicited from him. How lighthearted he felt, how happy he had been since she came into his life. How he had changed in the past six months. But he couldn't expect the same from her, could he? Like she had, no expectations, no coercion, just... love? Was he in love?

Pighla pighla hai dil mera jab se

Achcha rehta hain mood bhi tab se

Haske milta hoon aaj kal sab se

Khush ho gaya hai jo bhi mila hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

"Kahaan kho gaye kud kud kumar?" Ishita asked. "For once, you're not arguing with me? Do you believe me now that this book is a timeless classic?"

"It's not that great, Madrasan." He couldn't deny that it was a great piece of literature, but he'd rather not admit defeat to his wife. "I mean, you seem to be describing any generic man in love."

Ishita smiled and narrowed her eyes. "Pray tell me, what is a man like in love?" she teased. 

"How should I know?" Raman asked, running a finger along his t-shirt collar, wiping beads of sweat. 

"You were married earlier, weren't you? You should know."

That couldn't have been love, Raman thought. Because then what was this, that he felt today? 

"You tell me, what's a woman like in love?" Raman turned the tables on his wife. "You were in a relationship before me, right?"

Ishita stayed silent. She had no idea what love was anymore. Not when Subbu had destroyed her expectations of what love should be like. Not when Raman kept bringing out in her such intense emotions that she could never have expected.

Rang chamkilay saaare lagte hai

Raah mein bhikre tare lagte hai

Phool ab zyaada pyaare lagte hai

Mehki hui si jaisi hawa hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

"Papa, when will we get there?" Ruhi asked from the backseat. 

"One more hour beta." Raman looked at the navigation app that predicted an ETA of 46 minutes, but considering traffic and construction, an hour was a good estimate. 

"Okay papa."

Ruhi settled back in her seat, and neither Raman nor Ishita restarted their conversation. Raman continued driving and Ishita continued reading. But both of them were lost in similar thoughts: love. They had both experienced it before, or so they thought. Because what they felt now was much more different, much more intense, much more ecstatic, and much more terrifying.

Yeh nasha jisme dono rehte hai

Yeh lehar jisme dono behte hai

Ho na ho isko pyaar kehte hai

Pyaar mila to

Dil kho gaya hai

Kuch to hua hai

Kuch ho gaya hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PXP_-5LFdU 

.....................................................................................................................

Raman pulled the car into the gravel driveway of a wooden lake house, surrounded by pine and fir trees, at the edge of a large clear blue lake. 

"We're here!" he announced, getting out of the car and shutting the door. Ishita and Ruhi followed suit. They gazed at their surroundings in wonder as Raman opened the trunk and removed their bags. 

"What is this place Raman?" Ishita asked, amazed at the nature surrounding her.

Raman slung their bag around his shoulders and approached his wife and daughter.

"You said you loved the beaches of Chennai, right? Well, this is the closest thing I found to an ocean near Delhi. Do you like it?" he asked, his heart stuck in his throat. 

"I... I love it, Raman!" she exclaimed, awe and fascination in her eyes. Raman's chest swelled with delight. 

"Aapko kaisa laga Ruhi? Are you excited to go swimming in the lake?"

"We can swim here, papa? Really?!" she asked.

"Yes beta, that's the plan. In fact, right now is the best time, when the sun is high in the sky. That way we won't get cold."

"Then what are we waiting for?! Ishimaa, jaldi hum sab ke swimsuit nikalo na!" She shook her mother's hand vigorously, jumping up in excitement.

"Okay baby, abhi nikaalti hoon..."

After the family of three had set their bags in the upstairs master bedroom of the cottage and changed into their swimsuits, they had spent the afternoon playing and splashing in the shallow end of the lake. Raman had tried to spend some time teaching Ruhi the basics of swimming, but she was too excited to focus. Eventually, he gave up his efforts, simply splashing around and playing tag with his family. Ishita worried about the different creatures that could be in the lake, of any bacteria or plants or animals around, but Raman was quick to ease her worry. The website renting this cottage had promised a kid-friendly environment, and many of his friends boasted of the cleanliness of this lake. 

As the sun began its descent and the temperature dropped, Ishita pulled her daughter and husband out of the water, afraid that they'd get sick in the cold. It was past three in the afternoon, and everyone was starving. They all showered and changed one by one, beginning with Ishita, followed by Ruhi and Raman. When Raman finally came downstairs, he found his wife and daughter in the kitchen, surveying the fridge for its contents. 

"Kya dekh rahe ho, maa beti?" he asked, running his fingers through his wet hair. 

"Bhookh lagi hai papa," Ruhi pouted. "Hum sabne to lunch bhi nahi kiya?"

"Accha? Raaste mein khaayi chips aur cookies sab digest ho gayi?" he teased. Ruhi nodded. 

"Raman, fridge mein kuch fresh saamaan hai, aur thodi cheezein freezer mein bhi hai. Main soch rahi hoon sab ke liye pizza bana doon? Indian khaana to hum roz hi khaate hai."

"Yes mumma! Mujhe cheese pizza khaana hai. Aur main bhi aapki help karoongi," Ruhi squealed. 

"Chalo then, I'll join you guys too," Raman chimed in. "Why should I get left behind?"

The next hour and a half was spent in the kitchen. Ishita rolled the dough with Ruhi's help (who simply squeezed and played with the dough), while Raman prepared his self-proclaimed famous tomato sauce and shredded fresh mozzarella cheese. Ishita sliced up their choice of toppings and then, they all set to work preparing three pizza pans. One was Ruhi's choice of cheese pizza; one was Raman's choice with spinach, olives, and mushrooms as toppings; and one was Ishita's choice with tomatoes and bell peppers. Once all three pizzas were in the oven, Ruhi and Raman tried to make a quick escape to the living room to watch TV, but their plans were thwarted by Ishita. 

"Absolutely not, you two!" she yelled. "Get back here, and help me clean this up! There's cheese and sauce all over the counter. And there's more flour on the floor than in the dough..." 

Fearing Ishita's wrath, Raman and Ruhi returned to the kitchen to help clean up. By the time they were finished, the oven timer chimed, indicating that the pizzas were ready. Ishita cut up the pizzas and served them on the kitchen table. Famished as they were, they gobbled up each slice, accompanied by soda and juice. 

The rest of the day passed in much the same manner, the family of three indulging in indoor board games, outdoor field games, and walks on the lake. It wasn't the beach as Ishita was used to, but this lake would always be special to her. 

"We should come here more often, Raman," Ishita suggested. Night had fallen and the full moon shone above them, a sparkling silver orb shining in the midst of the velvety night sky. Ruhi had fallen asleep, and her parents had escaped for a quick walk along the lake. 

"You like it?" he asked, tentatively raising his arm around her shoulder. 

"I love it." Ishita moved closer, snuggling into Raman's arm that was around her shoulder. "We can actually see the stars in the sky here. Unlike the city. Look." She pointed to the sky. 

"Do you know any constellations, Madrasan? Can you find any?"

"Not really, do you?"

"I read about it in college. Let's see if we can find any."

He led her to an expanse of grass behind the lake house and sat down. He pulled her down with him, lying down to gaze up at the stars, one arm around his wife, the other pointing up to the sky. 

"That is the Great Square of Pegasus." Raman pointed to a cluster of four stars making a square. 

"You just made that up, didn't you?" Ishita teased.

"No, of course not! That really is the Great Square."

"It's just four stars clustered together. How is that a constellation?"

Ishita argued with her husband, getting more and more comfortable with her position next to her husband. She snuggled closer, her head on his chest and an arm going around his torso. As hard as she tried to pay attention to different constellations her husband showed, sleep proved to be more powerful. 

"Suna madrasan? That's Orion," Raman said. He didn't really know if that was true, but it was a pretty good guess. 

No answer.

"Ishita?" He looked over to find his wife sleeping on his shoulder, with slow, even breaths. It was a sight he would never get tired of. As much as he hoped to freeze time at this moment, he knew she must be uncomfortable sleeping in the grass. Not having the heart to wake her up, he lifted her into his arms in a bridal carry and walked towards the lake house. He entered and climbed upstairs, perspiration growing on his brow, either from physical fatigue or from the feel of his wife in his arms. 

He kicked the door of the master bedroom open, careful not to hurt his wife, laying her down on the king sized bed and covering her with the blankets. He chuckled softly thinking that his dentist wife was going to sleep without brushing her teeth; it will be fun teasing her about that tomorrow. He changed in the adjoining bathroom and checked on Ruhi sleeping in the next bedroom, before getting under the sheets beside his wife. He suddenly felt grateful for the absence of another bed or sofa, finally allowing him this proximity to Ishita that he wasn't afforded at home. 

In the dim moonlight of the night, Raman gazed at his wife and he was certain. He briefly recalled a quote he had read years ago from The Fault in Our Stars. For it had happened slowly and then all at once, like he fell asleep. He fell in love.

The sun shined through the window and Ishita stirred in her sleep. She found herself enveloped in an unfamiliar but pleasant warmth. She tentatively opened her eyes, and blushed furiously at the position she found herself in. She was cuddled next to her husband, an arm around his chest clutching his shoulder, while his hand curled up around her waist. She closed her eyes, trying to recall what happened last night. The last thing she remembered was arguing with Raman about constellations in the night sky. She must've fallen asleep out there, and he must have carried her inside, the realization causing her blush to deepen to crimson. This was unchartered territory, and she had no idea what to do. She gently removed her husband's arm and slipped out from under the covers, tiptoeing to the bathroom to get ready for the day. 

She had gone to wake up her daughter and help her get ready, before Raman woke up, giving her the chance to get her pounding heart and blushing cheeks under control. By the time Raman came downstairs, she had prepared tea and poha for breakfast. 

"Papa, aaj hum log kya karenge?" Ruhi asked. 

"Jo aap chaho. Aap ko kya karna hai?" Raman sipped his tea, stealing quick glances to his wife. His realization from last night weighed heavy in his chest. His insides churned and squirmed, even as he donned a nonchalant facade. 

"Mujhe swimming jaana hai phir se!" Ruhi exclaimed.

"No baby, aaj nahi," Ishita interrupted. "The weather forecast says it's going to rain today. The sun isn't going to come out, so we can't go swimming in the cold weather."

"Then what will we do?" Ruhi pouted. 

After ten minutes of back and forth, they had finalized a list of activities for the day: hiking up the trail behind the lake, bird watching, and a picnic by the lake for lunch. As the weather forecast predicted, the sun never came out; cloudy skies reigned throughout the day. By the time they had finished their picnic of sandwiches and soup, Ruhi was so exhausted her eyes barely stayed open. Raman had lifted her up and coaxed her to go to sleep, while Ishita and Raman packed up their belongings.

"Yeh lijiye, sab kuch pack ho chuka hai." Ishita zipped their bags. "Aap kuch bhul to nahi rahe hai na?"

"Nope, I checked the bathroom and Ruhi's room too. We got everything. Main yeh saamaan lekar niche jaata hoon."

"Main Ruhi ko lekar aau?"

"Nahi, use sone do kuch der. I'm going to check the weather first to make sure it's not going to rain."

They took their bags downstairs and Raman opened his weather app. And frowned. 

"Kya hua Raman?"

"It's going to rain in a few minutes. We should leave a couple hours later, once the storm passes."

"Okay, I'll call mummyji and amma, and let them know."

Rain pattered down outside, just as Raman had said, forcing them to settle down for the next couple hours. They had laid out a couple chairs on the front porch, enjoying the rain falling around them. 

"Aap kabhi baarish mein bheege hain?" Ishita asked, suddenly.

"Haan, bachpan mein shaayad. Kyun?"

"Main bhi aakhri baar bachpan mein hi bheegi thi. Aaj bahot man kar raha hai bheegne ka."

"Really?" Raman chuckled. "You're usually such a stickler for rules. Aren't you scared of getting sick if you get wet? And do you even have another pair of clothes to change into after getting wet?"

"In fact, I do. I packed an extra pair for everyone just in case. And I'm mostly scared for Ruhi getting sick if she gets wet. I'll be fine." She mulled over her thoughts again. "I'm going."

Ishita walked out from under the canopy, spreading her arms wide, letting the rain drench her body. A childishness overcame Raman who joined her outside under the rain, but not before he started a playlist on his music app: "Songs perfect for a rainy day."

Yeh saajish hain boondon ki

Koi khwaahish hain chup chup si

Yeh saajish hain boondon ki

Koi khwaahish hain chup chup si

Dekho na dekho na

Dekho na dekho na

Hawa kuchh haule haule

Zubaan se kya kuchh bole

Kyon duuri hain ab darmayaan

Dekho na dekho na

Dekho na dekho na

He clasped her hand and turned her around, gesturing to the music playing in the background. Silently, he offered a hand, and silently, Ishita accepted it. No words were spoken, but they understood each other as if they had one mind. Raman placed his other hand on her waist, and Ishita grasped his shoulder, as they swayed to the music. 

They danced and danced, unconsciously coming closer and closer. Ishita snaked her arms around Raman's neck, who in turn pulled her closer by the waist. Their eyes locked, their foreheads touched, and their quivering lips were inches apart. 

Phir na hawayen hogi

Itani besharam

Phir na dag mag dag

Mag honge yeh kadam

Haa saawan yeh seedha

Nahi khufia bada

Kuchh toh baraste

Hue keh raha

Samjho na samjho na

Samjho na samjho na

Hawa kuchh haule haule

Zubaan se kya kuchh bole

Kyon duuri hain ab darmayaan

Dekho na dekho na

Dekho na dekho na

Raman longed to close the distance between them, but hesitated. They weren't at that stage yet. He didn't even know if this was what Ishita wanted. A real marriage. Would it be so bad to hope for that? Could he even afford himself the luxury of hope and love and affection? Why not, he thought. She was his wife, after all. And that was where the problem was. She was his wife. Ruhi's mother. If they decided to take their relationship forward, they didn't have the luxury of backing out. If things didn't work out between them, they couldn't break up. They weren't college kids who could go their own ways in life. They were bound together for life, and he couldn't do anything to screw up this family. 

It hadn't even been a whole day since he had come to terms with his true feelings for Ishita. What were the chances that she felt the same? What if she didn't feel the same way? What would he do then? He couldn't distance himself from her and move on. He knew in his bones he wouldn't survive that. He couldn't risk it. He'd love her, but silently, ardently. Like she said yesterday, no expectations, no coercion, just love.

Jugnu jaise chahat

Dekho jale mujhe

Meethi si mushkil

Hain koi kya kare

Hmm hothon ki arzi

Aise thukraaon na

Saanson ki marzi

Ko jhuthlaaon na

Chhuu lo na chhu lo na

Chhuu lo na chhu lo

Hawa kuchh haule haule

Zubaan se kya kuchh bole

Na duuri hain ab darmayaan

Dekho na dekho na

Dekho na hmm hmm hmm

Hmm hmm hmm dekho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sRLvmaeWg   

Bhalla House, Ishita and Raman's bedroom - 10 pm

Ishita sat on the sofa, opened her night cream, and applied it to her face, arms, and feet, still lost in how the equation between her and her husband had irrevocably changed over this trip. How much more comfortable she was with him, and yet how her heart pounded every time he came close. How safe she felt in his arms, and yet how nervous she became when he touched her. 

"Ruhi finally fell asleep." Raman had just walked in through the door of the bedroom. "She read that storybook twice, the one Adi had gifted. I barely managed to get her to put it down before she read it a third time." He climbed into bed and turned on the TV. 

Ishita closed her cream bottle and stood up to put it away on the dresser. As she stood up, the sofa rocked behind her, as the weight shifted.

"What's wrong with the sofa?" Raman asked.

"Pata nahi. I think one of the legs has come loose. It rocks back and forth whenever anyone sits on it." Ishita opened the closet to remove a pillow and blanket. 

"Wait," Raman stopped her. "Don't sleep on the sofa if it's broken."

"To phir kahan soungi main?"

"Ek kaam karo, chhat pe so jaao," he suggested, sarcastically. "Yahin bed pe so jaao na?"

"Are... are you sure?" Ishita's expression suddenly turned nervous.

"I don't have a problem with it. Aur chinta mat karo. Main kuch karunga nahi."

"I know that, Raman. I-I just..." Ishita averted her eyes.

"It's okay. The sofa probably couldn't take all your weight." Raman picked up on her nerves and lightened the mood. 

"Oh really?" Ishita placed her hand on her hip and glared at her husband. "And you think the bed will be able to take my weight?"

"Maybe not before, but now it can. It's much sturdier." Just like their relationship, Raman thought. They had come a long way in the past few months. 

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing."

"Seriously, Ravan kumar. Sometimes I don't understand what you're mumbling."

Ishita shook her head and laid out her pillow and blanket on the other side of the bed. She sunk her head on the pillow and turned off the lamp, head turned away from Raman, trying her best to hide the flush rising in her cheeks. Raman turned off the TV and laid down as well. He gave a brief glance to his wife, noting the visible gulf between the two of them. He didn't know if that gulf would ever disappear, but he took solace in the fact that the distance was much smaller than that between the sofa and the bed.

-RKB- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Awesome  update.... 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 41

Vidya Shakti Public School - Monday, 10th Feb, 11:55 am

Commotion and hustle-bustle broke out in the school cafeteria, as it packed up with hungry students gathered for lunch. Ruhi ran into the cafeteria, looking for her friends. "Arpita! Mansi!" she called out and waved to her best friends two tables down. She galloped to the table, set down her backpack and lunch bag, and joined her friends.

"Ruhi, why are you so late?" Arpita asked. "Hum logon ka lunch to almost finish hi ho gaya, dekh." She showed her empty lunch box, devoid of the noodles her mother had packed for her.

"We were waiting for 15 minutes yaar," Mansi added. 

"Sorry guys, main madam ki help kar rahi thi. Woh saari crayons aur pencils organize kar rahi thi after class," Ruhi explained. 

"Teacher's pet," Mansi teased. "No wonder you're madam's favorite."

Before she could retort to her friend, a lone boy caught her eye. He sat on a table in the next aisle, withdrawn into himself, munching on a chicken nugget. Ruhi grinned. 

"Adi bhaiya!" she yelled, waving her arms furiously to get his attention. "Arpita, Mansi, woh dekho! Mere bhaiya hai!" 

She picked up her backpack and lunch bag, and ran to her brother, her confused friends at her heels. She approached her brother and invited herself to sit down beside him; Adi stared at her with an expression of a deer caught in headlights. 

"R-Ruhi... Tum yahan?" he asked. 

"Aap akele the na bhaiya? Isiliye main aa gayi! So you don't feel alone," she explained. "Yeh mere friends hai bhaiya, Arpita, and Mansi." She pointed to her friends. "Aur yeh mere Adi bhaiya hai. I told you I wasn't lying, guys." She peered at her friends with narrow eyes. 

"Okay okay, we believe you Ruhi," Arpita answered, sheepishly. "Hum logon ka lunch to ho gaya, so we're going to play outside. Tum aa rahi ho Ruhi?"

"Tum log jaao. Main apne bhaiya ke saath lunch karungi." She turned to her brother. "Is that okay bhaiya?" She had gone on a limb and invited herself for lunch but would her brother be okay with that?

"That's fine Ruhi." His friends were busy making up a test they missed last week, so he welcomed the company. 

Ruhi's friends bid her goodbye, as she opened her lunch box. Today Ishimaa had packed masala idlis with chutney along with an assortment of grapes and berries. As always, papa had tucked in a note of encouragement in the corner of her lunch box. She unfolded the note, read the message, and flashed a million dollar smile.

Laughter and knowledge are two things that grow the more you share them. Don't be shy to share your smiles with someone who doesn't have one. - Love, Papa and Mumma ❤️

"What's that Ruhi?" Adi asked, seeing her bright smile.

"Ishimaa aur Papa mujhe every day aise notes dete hai lunch mein. Look." 

She handed it to her brother. Adi read the note, and the corners of his mouth tugged upward. His sister had such a bright and infectious smile; he finally understood where she got it from. Was it wrong that he was jealous of his little sister?

"That's really cool." He handed the note back. 

"It's okay Adi bhaiya, you can keep it. Aap agar kabhi bhi sad ho na, then read this. Aur aapke face pe phir se smile aa jaayegi!" 

Adi pocketed the piece of paper. "Waise, what did you do on the weekend?" he asked. It was only fair that he made some effort to continue the conversation as well. 

"My weekend was so amazing bhaiya!" She perked up again as she recounted all the fun she had over the weekend with her mumma and papa. Adi's heart squeezed with melancholy.

"Aap aate to aur bhi mazaa aata bhaiya," she said, with a sudden longing in her eyes. 

Adi cleared his throat and put on a smile. "Don't worry Ruhi. I'll come some other time."

"Aapka weekend kaisa tha bhaiya?" Ruhi asked. 

They ate their lunch as Adi told Ruhi about his Friday night sleepover at Ayush's place and the boring charity auction he had accompanied Ashok and Shagun to on Sunday. 

"Auc...Auction matlab?" Ruhi asked.

"Auction means like... See, there are like some expensive things and stuff that are on sale. But there isn't a fixed price. Everyone competes for it. Like let's say for example, this chicken nugget is on sale." Adi put forth his last nugget as he explained his point. "And its starting price is 100 rupees. I'll raise my hand and say I'll give 150 rupees for it. But if you want it too, then you'd raise your hand and offer more money, like..."

"200 rupees!" Ruhi jumped in.

"Exactly!" Adi beamed with pride as his sister understood the concept. "Then I'll say 250 rupees. And you'll say-"

"500 rupees!" Ruhi exclaimed. 

Adi was taken aback. "Wow, that's quite a bit of a jump," he chuckled. "Okay, so if no one counters your offer of 500 rupees, then this nugget is sold to the one and only Ruhi Bhalla!" 

He handed her the nugget and clapped to celebrate her victory, sending both of them into squeals of laughter at their mock auction. Ruhi extended her arm to return the chicken nugget, but Adi refused. "Tum khaao Ruhi. Mera lunch ho gaya."

"Thanks bhaiya!" Ruhi ate the nugget in glee, and Adi peered at his sister, heart overflowing with love he never knew he could feel. 

"Ooh before I forget!" Ruhi opened her backpack and fished around for something. "I found this at the lake and I think you'll like it. Aapke book pe aisa hi pattern tha."

Ruhi removed her fist from her bag and extended her palm towards her brother. It contained a tiny shell with a circular pattern of bumps and ridges covered in hues of cream and peach. 

"This is really pretty Ru," The nickname easily came to him, too easily he thought. "But when did you see a pattern like this on my book?"

"It was on that book with that boy flying on a broom," she explained.

Adi's eyebrows lifted in realization. She probably saw the scales of the basilisk (snake) on the cover of The Chamber of Secrets and mistook it for a seashell. "It's really cool, Ruhi. But you didn't have to bring this for me. Don't you want to keep it?" he asked.

"Nahi bhaiya. Aap mere liye itni acchi book laaye na? So yeh meri taraf se thank you gift." 

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch break.

"I have to go now, Ru." Adi began packing his lunch box away. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay bhaiya." Ruhi zipped her lunch box and slung her backpack over her shoulders. "Bye bhaiya! Love you!" She pressed a quick kiss to her brother's cheek before galloping away. 

Adi's fingers lingered on her cheek, as he marveled at how positive and uplifting his sister was. Where and how did she get such energy? 

"Love you too Ruhi!" he called back, unsure whether she heard it, but absolutely sure of what he felt. There was no stopping that little angel from taking a permanent place in his heart. 

Later that night, Adi added two more pieces of memories to his night stand drawer... and his heart.

Bhalla House - later that day, 8 pm

"Rinki puttar, kabhi to apna phone baaju par rakh de," Omprakash sighed. Rinki sat on the couch with her knees to her chest, her nose in her phone. "Puttar, tu sun bhi rahi hai?!" Omprakash shook his daughter's knee, as he sat down beside her. 

"Chodiye na papa, mujhe disturb mat kijiye!" Rinki clicked her tongue in annoyance. 

"Maine na is phone ko hi phek dena hai." Toshi glared at the phone from the dining table, where she plucked methi leaves. "Saare fasaad ki jad yahin hai. Tabhi is ladki ka shaadi mein koi interest nahi hai. 24 ghante phone phone..."

"Offo mumma!" Rinki sighed and shut her phone off. "Abhi aap shuru mat ho jao. Main to apne phone mein naye laptop models dekh rahi thi. Mujhe ek naya lena hai."

"Puttar, zaraa price vagera dekhna, laptop lete waqt-"

Omprakash was interrupted by Raman's arrival at the front door. He was clad in a gray suit and white shirt, hair in perfect shape even after a long day's work.

"Tu aa gaya Raman? Chetthi chetthi haath muh dho le. Phir khaana khaane baithte hain," Toshi said. 

"Haa maa." He toed his shoes off and loosened his tie. "Ishita aur Ruhi kahan hai?" he asked. 

"Andar hai. Ishita use homework karaa rahi hain. Un dono ko bhi lekar aana dinner ke liye."

Raman made his way into his bedroom to see his wife and daughter sitting on the sofa, books strewn on the coffee table. 

"One last time Ruhi, what are the five senses?" Ishita instructed.

"Sight, smell, taste, hearing, and touch." Ruhi pointed to her eyes, nose, mouth, ears, and skin as she listed off the five senses.

"Good. And what are the five tastes?"

"Sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and... And there's one more... Um-Uma..." She struggled with the last one.

"Beta, it's umami. Umami means woh wala taste jo chicken aur sab meat se aata hai. Okay? Don't forget it."

"I got it, Ishimaa. Ab main khelne jaau?" 

"Aap ne ghar aakar two hours tak to khela na, baby? Homework karte time aisi zid nahi karte."

"Par mumma, hum log half hour se homework kar rahe hai," Ruhi pouted. "Aur maine saare answers correct diye."

"Ru, Ishimaa sahi keh rahi hai," Raman interjected. He had just walked in from the bathroom in a t-shirt and sweatpants. "Homework karte time masti nahi. Aur waise bhi, abhi dinner time hai. Dadi is waiting for us at the dining table."

"Ishimaa, main jaau Dadi ke paas?" Ruhi asked. She'd use any excuse she could get to finish this study session.

Ishita sighed. "Okay, jaao. Lekin pehle apni books apne room mein rakh lo."

Ruhi stacked her books and skipped outside. Her parents followed her and the family gathered for dinner. 

They relished on baingan bhartha, chana dal, and parathas, while chatting away. Rinki asked Raman and Romi for suggestions on which laptop to buy. Toshi and Ishita discussed Mihir and Mihika's upcoming wedding. They had decided to hold the wedding in May, when school was off for summer. The date was to be finalized by Madhavi and Vishwa after consulting their pandit (priest). The highlight of the dinner, however, was Ruhi's story of her lunch with Aditya today. 

"And when I left for class, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and said 'love you.' And he said it back too, 'love you too Ruhi!' " she said.

Toshi's eyes poured with love as she hugged her granddaughter tight, overwhelmed with gratitude. "Dadi... It's too tight!" Ruhi groaned, at being squished in her grandmother's arms. It wasn't until Romi intervened, that Toshi let her go.

Under the table, Ishita found and held Raman's hand, intertwining their fingers and squeezing hard. Raman turned his head and found her eyes, support and assurance pouring from her in waves. They were indeed making progress with their son. 

Arch Sports Field (in front of Nitya Pravah Dance Studio) - the next day, Tuesday, 6:05 pm

"I'm parking the car here, Madrasan. Kya pata dance studio ke parking lot mein jagah mile ya nahi. We're already 20 minutes late." Raman parked the car in the parking lot of the sports field as both Raman and Ishita rushed outside to pick up their daughter. 

"This is all your fault Raman. Why did you insist on taking the highway? I told you to take the internal road."

"Ab mujhe kya sapna aane wala tha ki highway par itna traffic hoga? Pure raste dimaag khaaya, ab to chup ho jaao!" 

"Apni beti ka gussa ab aap hi sambhaalna. Puri ki puri aap pe hi gayi hai."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Raman scowled. 

They rushed to the street crossing to get to the dance studio across the street, but Ishita grabbed Raman's arm to stop him.

"Ab kya hua tujhe? Aren't you getting late now?" Raman asked. 

"No Raman, look." Ishita pointed to the football field, to a sight that took their breath away.

Adi and Ruhi ran around playing with each other, him in football clothes, her in a salwar suit with her bharatanatyam anklets and dupatta discarded by Adi's backpack. They kicked a football back and forth, as Adi corrected Ruhi's stance time and again, teaching her how to kick the ball farther and with more force. 

Raman peered at the scene, his breath caught in his throat, sending silent gratitude to the gods above for finally making his dream come true. Both of his children, happily playing with each other, in front of his eyes. 

Ishita glanced at her husband, then at her kids, and knew in that moment that this was all her heart wanted. This was her family. Discreetly, she removed her phone from her purse and took some subtle pictures, hoping to capture as many moments as she could on camera. 

A good five minutes passed, before the picture perfect scene broke. As she ran toward her brother, Ruhi tripped over a twig and stumbled, threatening to fall on a nearby boulder. Her fall, however, was broken by Adi, who ran forward, caught her by the waist, and pushed her back into the grass, only to fall on the boulder himself.

"Adi!"

"Ruhi!"

Neither Raman nor Ishita knew who screamed whose name. All they knew was they screamed and ran to their children. Ishita lifted Ruhi up, examining her for injuries, caressing her head and clutching her close, while Raman held onto Adi, helping him into a sitting position, searching for any blood or broken bones. Ruhi was unharmed, and fortunately, Adi hadn't sustained any serious injuries. Only a skinned knee and some scrapes and bruises on his arms. 

"Aap dono thik ho? Kahin zyada chot to nahi lagi na?" Raman asked. 

Adi ignored his question and crawled to his sister. "Ruhi, tu thik hai na?" he asked, brows furrowing in concern.

"I'm okay bhaiya. But look. Aap ke knee par blood hai!" She pointed to Adi's skinned knee.

"Oh that? Don't worry Ru, I'm fine," he assured her. "This happens to every sports player. No big deal."

"Adi beta, we should get that knee washed and put a band-aid on it," Ishita suggested. "Warna chot badh jaayegi."

"I'm fine," he muttered, determined not to give his stepmother any more attention than she deserved.

"Adi enough," Raman said in a stern tone. This was the first time he had been strict with his son since he met him a month ago. "I know you don't get along well with Ishita, but she's right about your knee. Just come to our car please. We have a first aid box and we can at least wash the wound and bandage it."

"Okay dad," he conceded. "I-I mean... Okay." Adi corrected himself, realizing he had unknowingly referred to this man as his father. 

The wind whistled in Raman's ears, and he felt his body freeze from the shock of what he heard. Dad. It took him a moment or two to recoil from the shock, even as he and his wife helped their kids up. Their eyes met, both reeling in from shock and surprise. Raman cleared his throat and forced his body to move. He steadily helped his son to their car following his wife and daughter, even as he struggled to recoil from his pleasant surprise. His son had called him 'dad' (even if it was involuntary) after five long years. He had yearned to see his son and hear him call him dad for five long years, and in this moment, every stab of pain and every bruise his heart suffered seemed worth it. 

Once they reached their car, Raman opened the back door and sat his children inside, while Ishita retrieved the first aid box from the glove compartment. 

"Adi, apna pair aage karo, please," she requested, kneeling in front of the boy as he hesitantly stuck his leg out of the car door. 

She wetted a piece of cotton with water from a bottle and cleaned the wound with gentle dabs. Then, she soaked another piece of cotton with Dettol antiseptic and began sanitizing the wound. Adi hissed in pain at the first dab, the alcohol in the antiseptic irritating his skin.

"Sorry sorry beta." Ishita scrunched her brows in pain, as if the wound was on her own body, not Adi's. "Thoda sa dard hoga but it's necessary." Once the wound was cleaned, she covered it with a band-aid. 

"Yeh kaisa band-aid hai?!" Adi cried out in shock. The band-aid was hot pink, with a Barbie logo sprawled over it. "Koi aur band-aid nahi hai?"

"Sorry beta, maine bahot dhunda, par isme aise hi band-aid hai," Ishita said. "Ruhi ko aise pasand hai na, to humaare ghar mein, first aid box main, saare band-aids aise hi hai."

"Fine I guess... Main ghar jaa kar badal dunga," he decided.

Ishita clicked the first aid box close and stood up beside her husband. 

"Umm... Thank you... Thank you Ishita Aunty," Adi murmured under his breath, but loud enough for both Raman and Ishita to hear. 

"You're very welcome beta," Ishita replied, voice quivering with emotion. "Lekin aapko thank you kehne ki koi zaroorat nahi hai. Aur apni family se to bilkul nahi."

You're not my family though, Adi thought, averting his eyes. He was conflicted enough about his feelings for his father; it didn't help that his stepmother was also this kind and loving. For a split-second he wished this was his family. Playing with Ruhi, being picked up by his father, pampered by his mother. And in the next second, he hated himself. His mom was his only family. 

"Adi, can we drive you home?" Raman asked. 

"No the driver should be-" Adi's phone chimed and interrupted him. He glanced at the screen in the front pocket of his backpack and frowned. "The driver texted me saying he's stuck in traffic. Google maps says he's 30 minutes away."

"Adi, we can drive you home," Raman insisted. "We're not letting you sit here and wait for 30 minutes."

"No no!" Adi yelled. "Mom will be mad. She doesn't like me meeting you guys. I shouldn't even be in your car." He grew frantic trying to get up and out of the car.

Raman grabbed his son's shoulder and forced him to sit back down. "Adi, calm down. Listen to me beta. I talked with your mom and Ashok Uncle. They're not mad anymore, okay? Just let us drive you home. We'll walk you in and meet them. If they have a problem with us there, then we won't insist on anything further. But just let us drive you home, okay?"

Adi breathed in and nodded. He didn't know why, but something deep down compelled him to take this chance.

"And this time, we'll avoid the highway," Ishita chimed in. "Right Raman?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Haa Jhansi ki Rani Haa!" Raman groaned. "Jitna tumne aaj sunaya hai na, ab to zindagi bhar highway avoid karunga." 

Their argument resumed as they situated Adi and Ruhi in the back seat, while getting in the car themselves. The car drove down the road and their banter continued. It wasn't until Ruhi slapped her forehead, exasperated, that her parents stopped their fight, amused by their daughter's antics. 

"They always fight like this, Adi bhaiya!" she complained, crossing her arms over her chest in mock disappointment, eliciting a hearty laugh from her brother. 

They reached Khanna Mansion some twenty minutes later. Anxiety crept up Adi's chest and into his throat but he forced it down. It didn't occur to him how ironic it was that he felt so lighthearted in the car, with the people who supposedly weren't his family, but felt so anxious in his own home. 

Adi left the car followed by his father. Ishita opened her door, only to be stopped by her husband. 

"You stay in the car with Ruhi," he whispered. "I don't want anyone saying anything ugly to you. Or Ruhi."

She closed her door as Raman and Adi made their way inside. 

"M-Mom!" Adi shouted, hiding his stammer as best he could. "I'm home!"

Shagun waltzed out from the game room, a glass of champagne in her hands, only to stop in her tracks at the entrance. Raman. In her house. With her son. 

"What are you-"

"Hi Shagun." Raman waved a hand to his ex-wife, a smile on his face. "Adi said the driver was stuck in traffic. You don't mind that we brought him home, do you?" 

A series of expletives popped into Shagun's head, but she was reminded of Suraj's threat. That he would throw her out of that house and out of their lives, if she did anything, anything at all to compromise their business. 

"Mom, are you mad? Please don't be mad, mom. He... He insisted," Adi said.

"It's okay, Adi," Shagun gritted through her teeth. "I'm not mad. He's your dad, after all."

"So..." Raman drawled, "you're okay with Adi talking with us, meeting with us?"

"Yes, I'm fine with it," she spit out. "Adi, I have friends over in the den. So excuse me. Why don't you grab a snack and then start homework?"

"Okay mom."

Shagun stomped back inside, seething with rage. Raman patted Adi's cheek and bid him goodbye, as he made his way outside while Adi walked to the kitchen for a snack. And for the first time since he came back to Delhi, things were looking bright.

Bhalla House, Ishita and Raman's bedroom - 10:30 pm

Raman leaned back on his bed and absentmindedly switched through the channels on the TV. Ishita joined him on the other side of the bed, and lied down on her side, facing Raman. She wasn't used to sleeping beside her husband yet, but she loved how she felt when she did: safe and warm. Besides, the couch wasn't sturdy enough to sleep on it overnight until it was fixed. In a corner of her heart, she hoped it was never fixed. 

"Raman, aap kar kya rahe ho?" she asked suddenly, lifting her head to survey the TV.

"Hmm? Kya?"

"You've passed five sports channels, three of which were broadcasting cricket, and you haven't stopped on any of them. Kaha khoye huye ho?"

Raman turned off the TV and threw the remote on the side table.

"I was thinking about Adi. He's quite close to Ruhi now... He even called me 'dad' today. And he's getting better about behaving with you. I think it's time for me to have the difficult conversation with him. About why I was gone for five years. Hopefully he'll understand that I didn't abandon him..."

Ishita twisted her fingers around her thali (mangalsutra) on her neck, contemplating Raman's suggestion. 

"Just be careful Raman," she advised. "The truth of the past is really ugly. You'll need to balance between honesty and kindness. Don't say anything that'll make him question Shagun's love for him."

"Yeah, I'll keep that in mind." 

He turned over to turn off the lights and lied down, facing his wife. She continued twisting and playing with the golden chain around her neck. 

"Chod do apna mangalsutra. Tut jaayega." He swatted his wife's hand away.

"Raman, maana ki yeh asli sone ka nahi hai, lekin itni aasaani se nahin tootega."

"Fair enough. After all, pehene wali asli sone ki bani huyi hai."

"Really Raavan Kumar? Asli sona, huh? Are you referring to my brain or my looks?" she asked, inching closer. The mood immediately changed, air thick with tension.

"I'm referring to your heart, madrasan." He leaned in and placed a hand above her heart. He could feel her heart pounding under his fingers, all the indication he needed to continue. "This right here... is pure gold," he whispered.

"What makes you say that?" Ishita asked breathlessly, her heart in her eyes. Her husband hardly used his words to show his care, but when he did, her heart thundered out of control.

"Everything. Everything about you. Your courage, your kindness, tenacity... The way you love my daughter, care for my family... Your witty mind, sharp tongue..."

"My tongue, huh? I thought you hated that. Only today, you were asking me to shut my mouth."

"Depends on what your tongue is saying, I suppose. After all, no one's perfect." 

"Raman!" she whispered loudly. 

"Kya?" he whispered back, his husky voice sending chills through her body.

"You are incorrigible," she chuckled. 

Raman moved his hand from her heart to her face, caressing her cheek while the other tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. 

"But the best thing about you is how your heart has room for everyone..." he continued, his voice barely a whisper, his hands framing her face.

Ishita inched closer, craving more of his touch, his presence. Their foreheads touched and their breaths mingled. She closed her eyes, unable to understand the sensations wracking through her body.

"Does this heart have room for me, wife?" Raman asked. It was as close as he would come to voicing his feelings out loud, to asking for the same affections in return. 

Ishita opened her eyes and peered at Raman. "You're already in it, husband. You, Ruhi, and Adi are my family. The center of my universe." 

"Even Adi? Woh to tumse seedhe muh baat tak nahi karta." He didn't intend to change the topic, but her answer had raised a genuine question in his mind.

"I know, Raman. But I do love him. With all my heart. I don't know how or when it happened. But it did. He's Ruhi's brother. He's your son. So of course, he's my family."

A breath of relief rushed out of Raman's lungs as he gathered his wife into his arms. Ishita nuzzled her face into his neck, resting her face on his shoulder, an arm around his waist. 

"That's all I need. You, Adi, and Ruhi. The four of us as one family. You guys are my everything," he breathed. 

Even so, he left many words unsaid. You are the light of my life. I think of you when I wake up and I dream of you when I sleep. You are my everything, my love, my life, my soulmate. I love you. I need you. And I can't live without you. 

And just like that, for the second time since Saturday night, Raman and Ishita slept in each other's arms. 

Raman's Office - Friday, Feb 14, 3:45 pm 

"How much does your most expensive model cost?.... 85,999? So just round up to 90,000, right?... All right, keep it on hold for me. I'll come by with my wife to collect it... Yeah, that way she can choose another set if she likes... Cash only? Okay, got it... Thanks... Bye."

Raman hung up the phone and dropped it onto the receiver. He had spent his lunch break browsing for Tamilian jewelry shops in Delhi, and after a vigorous internet search and numerous phone calls, he had chosen Aabaranam Jewelry Store for his business for today. 

The idea was born this morning, as he was inundated by all the couples in his life with their Valentine's plans. He had heard his wife on the phone this morning congratulating her Vandu Akka on Bala's plan to take her out for dinner, marveling at how sweet and romantic her jeeju was. Mihir and Pathak had discussed their plans with Mihika and Trisha, respectively, and brainstormed what gifts to buy for their partners. If that wasn't enough, his own parents had decided to go out for a dinner date, leaving him and Ishita as the only couple with zero Valentine's plan. The universe couldn't be mocking him worse.

He had thought hard and long about what to do for Valentine's Day. That's when it occurred to him; Ishita had mentioned her thali was not real gold. He could gift her a new thali, one of real gold, and hopefully, if the opportunity presented itself, profess his undying love. The jewelry store took cash only, so his plan was to withdraw cash from an ATM, go home, kidnap his madrasan, and take her to the shop to choose a thali of her design. 

It was close to 4 pm, and the office was pretty much empty. Raman gathered his laptop, tiffin box, and coat and left to put his plan into action. He stopped at the ATM, withdrew 90,000 rupees, and made a beeline home. 

Bhalla House - 4:30 pm

"Ishita! Ishita!" Raman walked into his home, calling out to his wife excitedly. "Kahan ho madrasan?!"

"Main Ruhi ke kamre mein hoon," she called back.

Raman made a beeline for his daughter's room (coat and bag in hand) to find Ishita in the middle of organizing Ruhi's clothes.

"Are you... er... regular cleaning or stress cleaning?" he asked. He never knew the difference.

Ishita sighed and turned to face her husband. "Both. Aapki beti ne aapke jaise hi kamra pura tehas nehas kar rakha hai. Look for yourself. Jaise kisi ne bomb fod diya ho."

"Kamra Neelu saaf kar degi. Tum mere saath chal rahi ho." 

"Kahan? Aur kyun?"

"Har baar sawaal karna zaroori hai kya? Apna dimaag itna mat lagaao. Tum aam khao na, gutliya kyun ginti ho?"

"Mere sawaal ka jawaab dijiye, warna main nahi aa rahi hoon." Ishita turned her back to her husband and began folding Ruhi's shorts.

Raman sighed. So much for his plan to kidnap his wife. He walked forward and stepped in front of his wife. 

"Aaj Valentine's Day hai. And I have plans."

"Raman, maine kaha to tha-"

"I know. Tumne kaha tha tumhe kuch zyada nahin karna. But I insist."

"Pehle aap bataiye ki plans kya hai. Then I'll decide." Ishita crossed her arms over her chest in defiance. 

Raman rubbed his eyes in exasperation. This mad, insufferable, brilliant woman.

"I want to gift you a new thali. When we got married, I didn't know much about Tamilian customs so your family did all the arrangements. But I do now, and I'd like to give you one. I have the cash with me, and I've decided on a store. But I want the thali to be your choice."

Ishita gasped as her fingers flew to her mouth. "Raman... that's... that's so thoughtful..."

"To ab tumhari jaasoosi ho gayi ho to chalogi?"

"Of course Raman. I'd love to-"

The front door creaked open and distracted them. "Bhai? Are you home?" Rinki's voice called out. 

Raman and Ishita walked out and greeted her. 

"I'm here, Rinki. Kuch kaam hai?" Raman asked.

"Bhai, I'm going out with a friend for the evening and I wanted to ask for a favor. Can you-"

"Wait wait wait." Raman held up a hand. "You're going out with a friend? On Valentine's day? Who is it?"

"Bhai, it's nothing like that!" Rinki shrieked. "I'm going out with a girlfriend. For Gal-entine's Day, okay?"

"Fine, what favor were you asking for?"

"I've decided to buy a macbook and maybe even airpods. The Apple store has a great deal but it ends today. Can you lend me some 80,000 bucks? Cash would be best."

"Yea-" Raman stopped himself. It was instinct to give away as much money as needed for his parents and siblings, an instinct that never died ever since he'd started earning. The instinct that had been the genesis of his first marriage's destruction. Memories of fights and arguments with Shagun flashed in his mind like a film reel, and his insides burned. Not from regret of his first marriage breaking down, but from anxiety at the same happening to his second. He knew in his bones that his selfless Ishita wouldn't ask for anything for herself. But try as he might, the fear couldn't be erased. What if-

"Raman." Ishita shook his shoulder and put a stop to the slippery slope his thoughts were going on. "De do."

"Kya?"

"Cash."

His eyes met hers and she nodded, her eyes brimming with understanding and compassion. 

"Yeh le Rinki." Raman opened his laptop bag and took out the envelope of cash he had withdrawn today. He set his bag aside and handed the envelope to Rinki. "Isme 90,000 rupees hai. Macbook, airpods, charger, jo chahiye le lena."

"Thank you bhai!" She threw her hands around her brother's neck. "You're the best!" She turned around to leave but was stopped by her brother.

"Listen! Sambhaal ke jaana, thik hai? You have lots of cash on you."

"Don't worry bhai. I'm going to the Apple store directly. And I'm going with friends."

"Good. And one last thing. Don't ever ask me to lend you money again."

Rinki's eyebrows furrowed in confusion and she frowned. 

"Lending means you have to return the money," Raman explained. "And I don't ever expect or even want you to return any money I give you. Okay? Everything I earn is for you guys." He lovingly patted his sister's cheek. "Ab jaa, tere dost log intezaar kar rahe hai."

"Ok bhai. Thanks." Rinki left with a smile on her face, eyes full of gratitude. 

Raman turned to his wife and sighed. "Madrasan..."

"Don't you dare," she said.

"What?"

"Don't say whatever you're about to. 'Sorry' or 'Thank you' or whatever it may be."

"How did you know? That I was conflicted on giving away that money?"

"Give me some credit, Raman. I'm your wife. Won't I know?"

Raman chuckled. "Okay, how about this? You get ready. I'll go out and withdraw more cash, and then we can go to the store and get your thali."

"No Raman, we don't need to do that."

"Why not?"

Ishita sighed. How would she explain this to her stubborn husband?

"Because... I don't need expensive gifts and what not to be happy, okay? I'm not used to spending so much money on myself. I never have, and I don't think I ever will."

"Madrasan, I really wanted to gift you something for Valentine's. Something really nice." His face fell in disappointment.

Ishita's smile disappeared. The last thing she had meant to do was upset her husband.

"Raman, agar aap sach mein kuch dena chahte ho, then I'll ask for something. But the question is, aap de paaoge?"

Raman took his wife's hands in his. "Ask me for anything. Jo tujhe chahiye woh dunga." I'll bring you the moon, the stars, anything and everything. Ask for my life and I'll gladly sacrifice it for you.

"Ek South Indian cafe hai paas mein. And they make the best rasam rice. Mujhe aaj ka khaana wahan khaana hai. Ghar pe koi nahi hai. Sab apne partners ya friends ke saath Valentine's celebrate kar rahe hai. Even Ruhi's at a sleepover. To mujhe bhi dinner banaane ka man nahi hai."

Raman stared at his wife, dumbfounded. Of all the diamonds and gold she could ask for, this is what she chose?

"I used to go there with Mihika and Vandu akka before I got married, but I haven't been there in many months..."

"Do you want to go again with your sisters?"

"Wait, you don't want to come?" Ishita frowned. "I'll even tell the chef not to use gunpowder in his cooking."

"Me? No, that's not what-" Raman caught himself. "I thought you wanted to go with your sisters. You were just talking about missing them-"

"I said I was missing that cafe. I want to go with you. What's the point in having Valentine's dinner without my husband?"

"Are you saying you enjoy my company?" Raman raised his eyebrow and stepped forward, crowding her space.

"I'm saying I can finally tolerate your company." She stepped back, trying to get a hold of her senses. "Main change kar ke aati hoon." 

Ishita ran inside leaving Raman smiling in the living room. They left ten minutes later, after Raman had straightened his coat and combed his hair, and Ishita had changed into a red ankle length wool dress, one of the few garments from her pre-marriage life that she had kept. At the cafe, Ishita ordered her favorite rasam rice and medu vada, while Raman went with the safe option of curd rice and kheer, taking no chance on a spicy rasam or sambhar. 

Ishita couldn't remember the last time she had laughed so much or smiled so much, or simply felt so much. She felt so light-hearted, she could feel her heart sing. It was truly the perfect evening. Rasam rice, the cool february breeze, and her husband's company. If only she had it in her to say it out loud...

Raman, on the other hand, was surprised at how the evening turned out. He had planned something else entirely but he couldn't have hoped for a better outcome: Knowing that his favorite person wanted only his company. He wasn't used to being wanted for just him. Ever since his marriage to Shagun and his subsequent isolation, he was always needed for his money, the favors he could offer, the duties he performed. This wasn't a feeling he was used to. If only he had it in him to say it out loud...

Since neither of them said anything out loud, Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla simply enjoyed their first date together. 

Mera Dil Bhi Kitna Pagal Hai 

Ye Pyar To Tum Se Karta Hai

Par Saamne Jab Tum Aate Ho, 

Kuch Bhi Kehne Se Darta Hai

O Mere Saajan, O Mere Saajan, Saajan Saajan, Mere Saajan

Kitna Isko Samajhata Hu, Kitna Isko Behlata Hu

Kitna Isko Samajhata Hu, Kitna Isko Behlata Hu

Naadaan Hai Kuch Na Samajhata Hai, Din Raat Ye Aahen Bharta Hai

Har Pal Mujhko Tadpata Hai, Mujhe Saari Raat Jagata Hai

Har Pal Mujhko Tadpata Hai, Mujhe Saari Raat Jagata Hai

Is Baat Ki Tumko Khabar Nahi, Ye Sirf Tumhi Pe Marta Hai

Par Saamne Jab Tum Aate Ho

Par Saamne Jab Tum Aate Ho

Kuch Bhi Kehne Se Darta Hai

O Mere Saajan, O Mere Saajan, Saajan Saajan, Mere Saajan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngH8Uzz7y7I

Delhi Metro Mall Food Court - Two days later, Sunday, Feb 16th, 3 pm

"Aapka burger kaisa hai Adi?" Raman asked.

"It's great," Adi replied sheepishly.

Raman sipped on his tea, as he gazed at his son beside him, struggling to find the words to begin their conversation. They had been re-building their relationship for over a month, and Raman had decided they were at a good point to finally have that dreaded conversation. He had picked his son up from the Khanna Mansion after brunch and taken him to the mall to ease into the conversation. To his surprise though, it turned out that Adi wasn't interested in buying anything. So they had simply arrived in the food court to sit and eat and talk.

"Adi beta, mujhe aapse zaroori baat karni hai. It might be uncomfortable, but it's necessary," Raman began. 

"Kaisi baat?" Adi gulped.

"I want to talk about why I was away from your life for five years."

Adi's stomach dropped. He set his burger down and sipped on his juice. 

"Do we have to talk about that?" he asked. It was the most painful part of his life.

"I'm afraid we do, Adi."

"Okay," he conceded.

"How much do you remember from five years ago?"

"Not much. Just that mom took me and we moved to Ashok Uncle's house. Then I went to Dehradun for school. And then I never saw you again."

"Adi beta," Raman took a deep breath. "Five years ago, your mom and I got divorced. Then your custody trial happened. That's basically a court case to decide who the kid will stay with, mom or dad. I fought really hard beta. I did everything in my power to win custody, but..." your mom didn't play fair "...but the judge decided you would stay with your mom. And after that, once you went to Dehradun, I couldn't find you or get in touch with you. I missed you so much beta, but I wasn't strong enough to fight again.

"I want to apologize, beta. I'm sorry for leaving you alone for so long. I didn't fight hard enough. I should've fought harder to stay in your life after the divorce. But I didn't. There is no excuse for that."

"No dad," Adi interrupted, not hesitating to call him dad anymore. It always bothered him when an elder apologized to him, and his father apologizing didn't sit right with him. Especially when it was for something that wasn't entirely his fault.

"I remember talking with that judge. She asked me who you want to stay with, mom or dad. And I said mom."

"Adi, do not take any blame for that," Raman urged. "The custody case is decided on lots of things. Not just what you said."

"It's just that..." Adi struggled to find words. "Mom wasn't always around. And when she was, she was giving me gifts and stuff. So I liked all that. At least I could be with her, you know? But you were always there. I never thought that you wouldn't be there."

Tears welled in Raman's eyes as realization dawned on him, epiphany after epiphany. That's why Adi chose Shagun in the custody case. Not because he wanted gifts and expensive toys, but because that was the only time he had the chance to bond with his mother. Gift giving was Adi's and his mother's primary love language. He didn't see his mother often, and people want what they can't have. That's why he'd chosen his mother and not his father. Because his father was always there. His son had assumed that Raman would always be there.

"Adi beta," Raman hugged his son with one arm drawing him close. "I promise you today that I'll always be here. You won't be able to get rid of me even if you want to. I love you beta. I'm sorry for not being there but that'll never happen again." 

Adi hiccuped and let the tears he had held in flow unabashedly. He had his father back. He had his sister too. And he couldn't be happier. His limbs loosened as he grew more comfortable. He inched closer to his father and squeezed his arms around him. 

"I love you too papa," he cried. "I missed you."

Bhalla House - One week later, Sunday Feb 23rd, 11 am

"Look who's here!" Raman ushered his son through the front door. Immediately, Adi was bombarded with the crazy Bhalla family, just as his father had warned him.

"Adi... Mera bachaa... Mera Adi puttar..." Toshi had immediately squeezed her grandson in her arms, followed by the rest of the family. Many tears flowed and smiles shared and they were re-introduced to the son of the house. 

It had been one week since the biggest knot in Adi's chest had loosened and unraveled when he mended fences with his father. Their next few conversations all centered on how the family had grown and how much everyone missed him, until Adi himself suggested coming home to meet everyone. 

His father was right to warn him, he realized quickly. Their family was huge, especially since they were joined by Simi, Ananya, Pulkit, and Mihir. It took a while but he was soon introduced to everyone. Although shy at first, he slowly opened up, especially to his Romi chachu and Mihir mama. He had the most memories and most in common with them. 

The family gathered together for brunch, Toshi's Punjabi delicacies, Ishita's Tamilian expertise, and Rinki's contribution of continental dishes. They talked and talked, pampering their long-lost son to their heart's content. They found out that Adi loved Italian food, just like his father. He was an expert footballer, and he fostered a great love for books. 

After lunch, Romi asked Adi of his favorite games, a choice of what he wanted to play. "I'm okay with anything," he had said. Unable to reach a decision, they had gone with Ruhi's demand of playing dumb charades. 

It was Mihir's turn to act and Adi's turn to guess. Mihir turned one hand around another wrist as his act.

"Wrist?" Adi guessed. "Wrist watch? Sprained wrist?" He guessed wrong every time.

"No Adi! It's rakhi," Mihir said. "Look at Romi chachu and Papa's wrists. Those rakhis are what I was acting."

"Oh..." Adi realized. He peered at his father and uncle's wrists. Then at his own wrist. Empty, devoid of red and orange threads. He had missed out on so much.

"Adi, aapko rakhi bandhwani hai Ruhi se?" Ishita asked, taking note of the forlorn look in his eyes. He simply nodded.

"Ruhi, aap Adi bhaiya ko rakhi bandhoge?" she asked her daughter.

"Par Ishimaa, it's not raksha bandhan today," she asked, a quizzical expression on her face.

"I know it's not raksha bandhan today, but we missed the last raksha bandhan with Adi bhaiya, right? So we'll celebrate it today," Ishita explained. "Main mandir se rakhi aur pooja ki thali lekar aati hoon."

And so, Ishita had set up a pooja thali for Ruhi. Before she left the mandir, however, she had set up another thali, since she had noticed that Adi's was not the only empty wrist out there.

"Aao Ruhi, come here." Ishita guided Ruhi in front of Adi and walked her through each step of tying the rakhi. 

Omprakash put his arm around his wife, who in turn snuggled closer, eyes threatening to spill with love and happiness. This was the family they had dreamed of for ten years. This was the joy they had longed for five years. All their grandchildren, happy and healthy, under one roof. 

Ruhi fed her brother a sweet who returned the gesture. "Bhaiya, mera gift?" she asked. 

"Ruhi, I didn't know you would tie me a rakhi today. Otherwise I would've bought a gift," Adi replied.

"Okay, to aap mujhe zor se huggy kar dijiye. Woh mera gift!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around her brother. Adi smiled, amused at his cute sister, returning the hug.

Raman breathed out a shaky exhale, thanking the gods for gracing him with this sight. 

"Mihir, tum bhi aao na," Ishita said, once Ruhi and Adi sprung apart. 

"Kya hua bhabhi?" Mihir asked.

"Tumhari kalai bhi suni hai na? Apni behen se rakhi nahi bandhwaaoge? Tumhari sagaai mein behen ki saari rasame maine hi nibhaayi thi na?"

"Zaroor bandhwaaunga bhabhi," Mihir said.

Mihir and Ishita sat on the sofa facing each other, as Ishita applied a tilak on his forehead and tied a rakhi on his wrist. She had hardly ever tied a rakhi to anyone, occasionally to a cousin brother as a kid when they lived close enough. She was close to her Bala jeeju like a sister would be to a brother, but the truth was she had never had a brother. Her marriage had given her so many new relationships, and she cherished each one, including her brother.

Mihir gazed at the rakhi on his wrist and his eyes softened. It had been five long years since a rakhi adorned his wrist. His relationship with Shagun had grown bitter and toxic long before he broke his ties with her; no love was lost there. But he couldn't deny that he had lost a sister, a friend, a confidante. He looked up and saw his Ishita bhabhi smiling at him, knots loosening in his chest. Here was his sister, friend, and confidante. 

"Bhabhi, it's been five years since someone tied a rakhi on my wrist," Mihir said. "Promise me, you'll tie a rakhi one for me every year."

"I promise, Mihir." Ishita caressed her brother's cheek lovingly. 

Adi watched the scene unfold in front of his eyes and his mouth turned sour. His eyes turned cold, annoyed at the woman in front of him. His Shagun mom was Mihir mama's sister, not her. Ishita couldn't take his mom's place there. She had taken too much from his mom. She couldn't take this too. 

Bhalla House, Ishita and Raman's bedroom - 10 pm

Raman closed the door of his bedroom and walked in freshly showered, with a towel in his hands, dabbing his face and neck. It had been an eventful day. His son had come home after five long years. His relationship with him was stronger than ever. And he couldn't be happier. If he had time to dwell on it, he'd be worried that it was all too good to be true. As if he were dreaming, waiting for his alarm to ring and bring him back to reality.

"Raman." Ishita walked up to her husband from the sofa with her hands behind her back and cleared her throat. "I have something for you."

"Other than a headache?" Raman asked, eyebrows raised.

Ishita narrowed her eyes. "Keep talking like that and I'll give you a headache as well."

"Okay fine, I fold. What do you have for me?" Raman pressed his lips together suppressing a smile.

Ishita presented a flat, rectangular box wrapped in blue wrapping paper from behind her back. Raman threw his towel aside and unwrapped his present, revealing a rectangular photo with a black frame. It was a picture of his children, from almost two weeks ago, when they had found them playing at the Arch Football Field. Adi stood behind Ruhi with a bright smile on his face as he positioned her in front of the football and corrected her stance. Ruhi's mouth hung low in laughter, eyes glimmering with mirth. 

"Aapki bhi aisi photo hai na Adi ke saath?" Ishita asked, reminding him of a photo he had given Adi a month ago. "This picture is so similar. I was going through the pictures on my phone and I just knew, this one deserved to be framed. We have lots of photos around with Ruhi, but hardly any of Adi-"

She lost the rest of her speech, as the breath was knocked out her lungs and she found herself crushed in her husband's embrace. 

"Thank you Madrasan... Thank you..." He couldn't find any other words so he let his body do the talking. His hands tightened around her waist and he buried his face in her hair, smelling roses and vanilla. 

Ishita woke from her trance as she felt her husband's arms tighten around her waist. She snaked her arms around his neck, her fingers tangling in his hair, drawing him close. 

It could have seconds, minutes, or even forever, before they came apart. Her hands were still on his shoulders and his on her waist from when they hugged, their noses almost touching. 

"I'm starting to think you're not real, madrasan," he breathed. "Maybe none of this is real." His voice was soft and husky, but the tremor was unmistakable.

"How do I convince you that I am?" she whispered. "That all of this is real?"

He didn't answer, so she took matters into her own hands. With trembling arms, she inched forward onto her tiptoes, closed her eyes, and brushed her lips to his forehead. It was a feather-light touch, a soft caress. Neither of them moved. It was almost as if neither of them breathed. 

Ishita moved back a split-second later, her forehead touching his. "It's all real, Raman," she whispered. "It's all real."

Hi people! ❤️😊

So as you can see, IshRa romance is picking up. Right now, Raman has realized his feelings, but Ishita hasn't. I'm sure you want to see a love confession, but I'm waiting for the right opportunity. I want it to be all tense and dramatic. So stay tuned! Meanwhile, we'll see romance happen too. My reference for these scenes (in this chapter and for a couple more) is basically that time from the show after the Mani track but before the love confession. Remember the hushed whispers and shared glances IshRa shared during AshGun's wedding? Yup, that is my reference here. 

Meanwhile, I have a question for you guys. Can you leave suggestions for IshRa scenes you want to see happen? I am not the best at writing romantic scenes, so I'm going to need your help. I don't want this fic to turn into a story where the focus is on the family and IshRa scenes are sprinkled throughout as lollipops. Give me ideas of romantic scenes you want to see!

P.S. This fic is for all/general audiences so don't expect any spicy or saucy scenes. It's all going to be fade to black. Think about it like this. If you don't expect ITV to have shown it when YHM was on air, then don't ask for it. Thanks guys! Love you all!  

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
-RKB- thumbnail

awesome update... 

I like to read Mani track... And also read shubbu and ishra track

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Absolutely amazing updates!!! ishraru picnic was a fabulous idea!

Their conversation in the car (I love Mr Darcy too!!!)was superb and the star gazing wah kya baat hai!!❤️

It's good you are giving Ruhi importance here as Raman did take her for granted on the show!!!!

Ishra relationship is growing - realisation is happening on both sides although Ishita has not admitted her feelings her feelings to herself but she definitely needs to see a cardiologist!!.🤣

Ruhi and Adi's lunchtime was perfect and I loved the way they said "love you" to each other!!! Adi is getting to collect more and more memories.

Raman Adi conversation was so emotional - now Raman understood why Adi chose his mum! I especially liked Adi's thought of feeling uncomfortable when elders apologise - a brilliant touch to the story - to improve on the show (when Ishita was asked to apologise!!😭)

The songs you chose were so appropriate!!

Valentine's date was amazing I wish you had taken us on the actual date!!

I loved Ishita's gift to Raman!!!

One more thing I am now a little afraid of Adi getting more angry on Ishita because she put rakhi on Mihir's wrist. I hope you will create a situation where he understands Mihir and Shagun's relationship!!!

As for romance suggestions - I love it when there is some sort of romantic situation in their day to day lives!! For example messaging each other during the day or leaving notes in the tiffin (as you did for Ruhi) or on mirror. Sending each other little insignificant gifts although very significant for Ishra!!!🤗

I was soooooooooooo happy you updated quickly but as I have said before I am very greedy so please update sooooooooonnnnnnnn!!!

Also please nice scenes of Ishita and Adi now as well please?!?!?!?!?!?

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: -RKB-

awesome update... 

I like to read Mani track... And also read shubbu and ishra track

Yes! Both are coming up!

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: nafnaf

Absolutely amazing updates!!! ishraru picnic was a fabulous idea!

Their conversation in the car (I love Mr Darcy too!!!)was superb and the star gazing wah kya baat hai!!❤️

It's good you are giving Ruhi importance here as Raman did take her for granted on the show!!!!

Ishra relationship is growing - realisation is happening on both sides although Ishita has not admitted her feelings her feelings to herself but she definitely needs to see a cardiologist!!.🤣

Ruhi and Adi's lunchtime was perfect and I loved the way they said "love you" to each other!!! Adi is getting to collect more and more memories.

Raman Adi conversation was so emotional - now Raman understood why Adi chose his mum! I especially liked Adi's thought of feeling uncomfortable when elders apologise - a brilliant touch to the story - to improve on the show (when Ishita was asked to apologise!!😭)

The songs you chose were so appropriate!!

Valentine's date was amazing I wish you had taken us on the actual date!!

I loved Ishita's gift to Raman!!!

Thank you!! Your comments mean so so much! ❤️🤗

One more thing I am now a little afraid of Adi getting more angry on Ishita because she put rakhi on Mihir's wrist. I hope you will create a situation where he understands Mihir and Shagun's relationship!!!

Yup, this will come up, but a bit later in the story....

As for romance suggestions - I love it when there is some sort of romantic situation in their day to day lives!! For example messaging each other during the day or leaving notes in the tiffin (as you did for Ruhi) or on mirror. Sending each other little insignificant gifts although very significant for Ishra!!!🤗

I was soooooooooooo happy you updated quickly but as I have said before I am very greedy so please update sooooooooonnnnnnnn!!!

Also please nice scenes of Ishita and Adi now as well please?!?!?!?!?!?

Great suggestions! I suppose the day to day romance will happen after they've both confessed their feelings though. Stay tuned!

And a great scene of Adi and Ishita is coming up too!!

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Excellent I look forward to the next updates!!!!!!!!! 🤗🤗

-RKB- thumbnail

Thank You...  Plz don't show eject like.. Where ishita  giving imprtnt to mani thn raman..... Subbu track plz different from drama.. 

GBSC thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Any chance of a train journey ?

It’s always interesting .

Cause bhallaji does have relatives n land in his native village .

N it’s common for Indian couples to visit their native place soon after a wedding .

This never came up in Yhm .

Neither did we get to enjoy those scenes/track there .Kkb had a wonderful village track .

Pure romance .

You are a fantastic writer .We can imagine divan as Ishra in that situation .Thats exactly how I read your story .All the chr’s played by the same actors .

Pl update soon .