Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Part 34

Sarojini Saree/Suit Center - two weeks later, Saturday, November 30th, 11 am

“Yeh dekhiye madam, yeh color aap pe bahot jachega. Aap ke mangetar aapko dekhte reh jaayenge.” The salesman spread a hot pink saree in front of Mihika trying to add to the pile of clothes they’d already kept aside for her engagement. 

It took a massive logistical effort, but after many schedule conflicts and canceled plans, all the Bhalla and Iyer women had finally managed to go shopping together for Mihir and Mihika’s engagement. After much deliberation, it was decided that they would get engaged in a Punjabi fashion (with a roka and ring ceremony happening together), seeing that the groom had agreed to a Tamilian wedding already. 

“Nahin nahin.” Toshi pushed aside the pink saree laid out by the salesman. “Yeh bahot halki hain. Meri hone wali bahu ke liye ekdum bhari saree chahiye.”

Ishita caught a glimpse of Mihika’s moist-eyed look. They always knew that Mihir was just as much a part of the Bhalla family as Raman or Romi. But the way Toshi had accepted Mihika as another daughter-in-law seemed truly marvelous to them. It proved that the Bhallas’ affection wasn’t just empty words; it was real. 

“Lekin bhari bhari saree pehnne se to accha ki tum ek accha sa lehenga hi leh lo, na Mihika?” Simi suggested. Like Vandu and Ishita, she had put her husband on child-duty for the rest of the day. Might as well have a girls-day out while they’re at it. 

One after another, they chose different outfits for the bride and for themselves. After a two-hour long trial session, they left the store with their pockets lighter and shopping bags heavier. Way heavier. Rinki, Simi, and Toshi chose new salwar suits; Vandu and Madhu picked out sarees with heavy borders; and the bride chose a heavy, gold and magenta lehenga. Ishita -- confused between a saree and suit -- decided to treat herself and buy both. Worst case scenario, Ravan kumar would tease her a bit on her fashion choices. Was it weird that she’d started loving this push-and-pull she had going with him?

“Ek baj gaye, Simi di. Bahot bhookh lagi hain,” Rinki complained as they loaded their cars with their shopping bags. 

“Ek kaam karte hain,” Simi addressed the group. “Yahan se paanch minute dur ek chaat corner hai. Wahin pe lunch kare?”

“OMG YES!” Mihika exclaimed. “I haven’t had pani puri in sooo long!”

“Gol gappe,” Rinki corrected her with a tap on her shoulder.

“What?”

“We Delhiites call them gol gappe.”

“And we Tamilians call them pani puri.” Mihika narrowed her eyes.

“You’ve been in Delhi for almost a year now. You’re a Delhiite. Besides, you’re marrying a Delhiite,” Rinki countered.

“Simi, mujhe us chaat corner ka address message karo na. Sab log wahin pe milte hain,” Ishita intervened before the Tamilian vs Delhiite feud erupted again. “Chalo sab, apni apni gaadi mein baith jao. Phir khaana kha kar ghar pahochte hain.”

“Seriously. Pata nahi humare husbands baccho ko sambhaal bhi paa rahe honge yaa nahin,” Vandu commented. 

“Oh please you two,” Mihika retorted as they got in their car. “My jeejus are just as good at handling their kids as you two, okay? Bina baat ke unhe itna sunaane ki zaroorat nahin hai.”

As the sisters argued about their men, the ladies pulled into traffic and headed for lunch.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Akash Ganga Community Park - 1 pm

“Tag! You’re it!” Shravan yelled to Ruhi as he ran away, with his cousin close behind. “Come on Ruhi chuhi! Himmat hai to pakad ke dikha!”

“Ruk ja, Shravu ke bacche!”

As Shravan and Ruhi ran across the grass-covered playground, Bala and Raman watched them from the park benches. 

“Vandu just texted in the family Whatsapp group,” Bala said, pocketing his phone. “The ladies are having lunch at some chaat corner and should be coming home in about an hour.”

“Great. Took them long enough,” Raman replied.

“Don’t jinx it Raman. If they find another shop, who knows if they will stop there too?”

“Why would they? I thought they finished shopping?”

“They all bought clothes for the roka. What if they stop for jewelry or makeup? Or god forbid, begin shopping for the wedding already?”

“Nonsense, we haven’t even set the date for the wedding yet.”

“Still, don’t test it…”

Despite his misgivings, Bala’s foreboding tone made Raman drop the subject. Why tempt fate?

“Oh by the way,” Raman continued, “I’ve been meaning to ask, where do you take Shravu for swimming lessons? I’m thinking of enrolling Ruhi in some.”

“I go to the pool behind my community. They’re not official classes or anything. Shravu has a friend whose uncle is a retired swim teacher. So he’s happy to give lessons to boys his age on weekends. But he doesn’t teach girls unfortunately,” he added quickly, seeing Raman’s hopeful look. “He’s even insistent that only fathers or male parent figures accompany the boys when we drop them off or pick them up.”

“Seriously?”

“Yup. Call it orthodox or traditional or sexist, but those are his rules. I think he’s just uncomfortable with women being around when he’s swimming with the boys. Otherwise, he’s a real gentleman. He’s met Vandu and all the moms of the boys too.”

“It’s a shame he doesn’t teach girls.”

“Isn’t Ruhi already taking two dance classes though? Bharatanatyam and Ballet?”

“She is, and she’s doing great in both. But she loves getting in the water, so she’ll need to learn how to swim soon. You should’ve seen her at the resort we went to in September. I made a mental note then to start thinking about her swim lessons.”

Inadvertently, Raman mentally reminisced about their time together at the resort. It had been a necessary trip to bond him, Ruhi, and Ishita into one family unit. The memory spread warmth in his chest, but also enhanced the ache of a missing family member. 

Bala pressed his lips together, trying to suppress a barrage of questions in his head. He opened his mouth but closed it again, hesitant to overstep. 

“Kya puchna hai?” Raman asked. Nothing went unnoticed by his observant eyes.

“Tum bura to nahi maanoge?”

“Aaj kal sab mujh se aise hi kyun puchte hai?”

“Matlab?”

“The other day, Mihir asked me the same thing. Never mind that, just say what you want to say Bala.”

“A couple weeks ago, when you and Ishita had that fight, and she left the house for a couple days, she talked to Vandu. Naturally, Vandu told me everything. I just… I was thinking…”

“I’m sorry Bala,” Raman said, sensing Bala’s hesitation. “I know what you’re thinking, and I apologize for putting Ishita in that situation. Actually I-”

“No no Raman, you misunderstand me,” Bala interrupted. “I don’t mean to say that I’m mad with you or anything. And honestly, Vandu didn’t give me all the details. All I understood was that you guys had a fight regarding getting back in touch with Adi and Shagun was being difficult about it. And I don’t want to know anything else. That’s all between you and Ishita. I just wanted to ask if you’re doing okay. Ishita always talks with Vandu and Mihika about it, and even if she doesn’t, they are stubborn enough to pull it out of her. All three of them are stubborn as rocks to be honest.”

“Don’t I know it…” Raman chuckled. 

“It just seemed to me like you might need someone to talk to. Your siblings are younger than you and you probably don’t share this stuff with your parents so… I don’t want to overstep but just know that I’m glad to listen if you ever need a friend.”

“Thanks Bala, it means a lot,” Raman replied. 

Whether it was his nature or because of his position as the eldest son in his family, it was true that he didn’t confide in many people. Even Mihir and Pathak were like younger brothers to him. He talked to them as much as he could, but certain things, even they couldn’t understand. Knowing he had someone of his own age -- who was a father no less -- as a friend, was a surprising reassurance.

“Bala, just don’t tell anyone about us trying to reconnect with Adi. The family doesn’t know yet, and you know how excited they can get, especially Ma.”

“Don’t worry, Raman. My lips are sealed.” Bala made a motion of zipping his lips.

“I’m just hoping that when, or if, I meet my son again, we can still salvage our relationship. I haven’t spoken to him in over five years.”

“No relationship is unsalvageable, Raman. No matter what goes wrong, no matter how estranged two people are, as long as both sides put effort in, things can work out.”

“And you think Adi will put in effort?”

“I guess time will tell,” Bala said, not wanting to give false hopes. “What I do know is that kids respond to effort. If they see effort and love, they usually reciprocate. If they don’t, then they drift away. Either way, it’s in your hands.”

Raman nodded, grateful for Bala’s insight. Knowing that he had some semblance of control over the situation eased his anxiety. After all, Shagun didn’t have as much power as she thought she did. Once her illusion broke, he’d be able to meet his son. Then he’d leave no stone unturned to win him back. 

“Raman bhai! Bala jeeju!” Mihir’s voice boomed from behind them, and they saw him and Romi walking over in the afternoon sun. 

“Aa gaye tum log jeweler ke paas se?” Raman asked.

“Yup. Dulha aur dulhan ki angoothi ka naap de diya,” Romi informed them as they sat on the bench beside Raman and Bala. 

“Dekh lo Mihir, this is your last chance. Agar shaadi se bachna hai to abhi bol de, baad mein mauka nahi milega,” Bala teased.

“Bhai tu to gaya,” Romi chimed in. “This is what you get for marrying the feistiest Iyer sister.”

“Arey bas tum log, bichaare ko itna daraao mat,” Raman said.

“Thanks bhai. Aap hi mere sacche dost ho,” Mihir replied gratefully.

“Nahi nahi beta. Main to yeh keh raha hoon ki iske baad bhi tumhe shaadi mein ek final chance milega shaadi se bhaagne ka. Woh Tamilians mein kaashi bhaag jaane ki rasam hoti hai na? Tab dhamki dene ki jhagah par sach mein bhaag jaana!”

“Great idea!” Bala said. “Tumhari ticket main kar ke dunga!”

They all burst out laughing.

“But jokes apart, we are very happy for you Mihir,” Bala said in a serious tone. “Hum to bas aise hi tumhari leg-pulling kar rahe hain. But truth be told, you and Mihika are perfect for each other.”

“Thanks jeeju. And I know very well that you guys are just joking. I see the way you look at Vandu akka. There is no way you could be anything but happy with her.”

“That’s absolutely true,” Bala agreed, with no hint of a lie.

“Waah Bala, itni jaldi party badal di?” Raman probed.

“Come on Raman bhai, you are worse than him,” Romi spoke up. 

“Kya matlab?!”

“At the risk of getting my head bitten off, let me go on record and say that when it comes to Ishita bhabhi, you are the exact same way. She left the house for two days and it was like the life had been sucked out of you. You were unapproachable. Ask Mihir if you don’t believe me.”

“Oh yeah, 100%,” Mihir concurred. “At first, I was scared he’d get irrationally angry or something, but even his rage factor was dialed down. Admit it bhai, bhabhi has changed you.”

“Mihir, Romi, agar tum dono ko mere haath ka prasad nahi khaana hai na, to abhi ke abhi chup ho jao,” Raman warned.

“You see that! Dekha Romi! Dar laga tujhe?” Romi shook his head in the negative in response to Mihir’s question. “That’s what I’m talking about Bhai. You don’t even know that bhabhi has changed you.”

Raman narrowed his eyes and glared at his brothers. “Both of you, go to hell. I’m going to get the kids inside for lunch.”

“Romi, Mihir, your brother’s got it bad,” Bala remarked, as Raman sauntered off.

Food Castle Chaat Corner - 1:30 pm

“Yeh samosa chaat, yeh cheese sandwich, yeh chole bhature, yeh gol gappe, aur yeh masala dosa and uttapam.” The waiter laid down one plate after another for the Bhalla-Iyer women at their table. “And this is the veggie pakora platter and meat pakora platter…” One by one, he laid down all the ordered food and left the ladies to enjoy.

“Main ek baar phone kar ke dekh leti hoon, baccho ne khaana khaaya ki nahi,” Ishita said.

She dug her phone out of her purse and found a string of notifications in their family group chat, the latest being photos sent by Romi where Ruhi and Shravu ate at the dining table, and Raman, and Bala worked in the kitchen making fresh, hot quesadillas and burritos. Caption: Masterchefs in the house!

She showed it to Vandu seated beside her and Mihika in front of her, getting smiles from both of them. 

“What did I say earlier,” Mihika pointed out. “My jeejus are just as good at handling the kids as you two are. This proves my point.”

“Okay fine, jeeju ki chamchi,” Ishita conceded. She dropped her phone into her purse and dug into her uttapam. 

She could argue with her sister as much as she liked, but she couldn’t deny her point. To have a husband who not only knew but happily participated in household chores and child-rearing was a rarity in the Indian community. She always knew she’d be a working mother, but she never knew she’d be lucky enough to have a partner who shared the load equally, in both earning money and taking care of the family. And in-laws that lauded him for it, rather than interfere or put him down.

“Waise, Ishu akka,” Mihika whispered, trying to get her attention. The rest of the ladies were absorbed in their own conversations. 

“Kya hua Miku?”

“Aap ko pata hai, humare roke mein Shagun aayengi ki nahin?”

“Shagun kyun- Oh right, she’s Mihir’s sister. I totally forgot.”

“Exactly, mujhe abhi abhi yaad aaya. Kisi ne baat nahi ki hai about inviting Mihir’s sister, or even his mother for that matter.”

“Miku, yeh to Mihir ka decision hona chahiye, right?”

“I know, lekin jitna main use jaanti hoon, woh unhe invite nahin karega. Woh to uske baare mein itna kum baat karta hai ki mujhe nahin lagta uski zehen mein bhi yeh baat aayi hogi.”

“Tu usse puch ke to dekh. Just ask him whether he wants to invite them or not.”

“That’s another thing. If he does want to invite them, will Raman jeeju be okay with them there? What if Mihir wants to invite them but is hesitating because he doesn’t want to hurt jeeju?”

“Miku, ek minute, just calm down. First, talk to Mihir about this. It depends on what he wants. And don’t worry about Raman. This is your and Mihir’s special day. You guys can invite whoever you want. Raman will be fine. I’ll talk to him.”

Ishita contemplated on another idea brewing in her head. If they could actually invite Shagun to the roka, then maybe Adi could come too. Maybe this could be the start to a new relationship between father and son. At the very least, if Shagun was invited, then at least Raman could have another chance to talk to her. Fingers crossed, Ishita thought to herself. 

Bhalla House - 9:30 pm

As the day winded down, most family members retired to their rooms for the night. Bala, Vandu, Shravu, and Simi had left hours ago, while Toshi-Omprakash & Madhu-Vishwa finished dinner and turned in for the night. The youngsters - Rinki, Romi, and Ruhi - played video games in the living room. 

“Ruhi, aur kitna khelna hai baba? Sona nahi hai?” Ishita asked her from the entryway of her bedroom. “Ruhi?!” she called out again upon receiving no answer. 

Shaking her head, she approached the scene in the living room. “Romi, pause the video game.”

“Par kyun mumma?” Ruhi complained as Romi paused Mario on screen.

Now that she had her daughter’s undivided attention, Ishita asked her, “Aap pehle yeh batao, sona kab hai? It’s almost 10 o’clock.”

“Kya bhabhi, it’s only 9:30,” Romi remarked.

“Romi!” Ishita whisper-shouted. “I’m trying to get her to sleep, not stay up for an extra 30 minutes!”

“Sorry sorry, my bad.” Never come between a mother’s attempt to get her child to sleep, Romi learned. Even if it involves a stretch of exaggeration. 

“Mumma, mujhe bua ke saath sona hai aaj!” Ruhi exclaimed. 

“Nahi Ru-”

“Bhabhi, rehne dijiye,” Rinki intervened, “I’d love to have her in my room tonight. We haven’t had a sleepover in sooo long, right Ru?”

“Are you sure Rinki?”

“I’m sure bhabhi. Don’t worry. Dekho, abhi 9:30 huye hai, to hum 10 o’clock so jaayenge, kyun Ruhi? Is that okay?”

“Yes, 10 o’clock,” she agreed.

“Okay Ru, Ishimaa check karne aayegi, 10 o’clock means 10 o’clock, okay? Not one minute later, got it?”

“Yes Ishimaa, I promise.”

“Fine. Now get back to your game then.”

As the video game resumed in the living room, Ishita returned to her bedroom. 

“Ruhi so gayi itni jaldi?” Raman asked from his desk. 

“Nahi, woh to Rinki aur Romi ke saath video games khel rahi hai. Aur phir baad mein use Rinki ke saath sona hai. Unka girls’ sleepover karna hai. Kal chutthi hai to maine bhi permission de di”

“Hm.” Raman clicked through his inbox reading over emails and making a to-do list of issues he needed to tackle as the office opened on Monday. 

“By the way,” Raman turned in his chair and faced Ishita. “Tumne apni shopping dikhayi nahi aaj subah ki.”

“Aap ko dekhni hai?” Ishita asked from her place in front of the dresser. “I thought you weren’t interested this afternoon. As I recall, when Rinki and Simi asked to show their dresses, you said, and I quote, ‘mujhe auraton ke kapdo dekhne se zyada bahot important kaam hai life mein?!’ ”

Truth was, he was very interested in seeing what his wife had bought. In fact, the spiking level of his interest was something he’d rather not focus on. Unfortunately, when the girls had decided to show their shopping this afternoon, his precious daughter had chosen that exact moment to drag Ishita to her room to inform her of a tear in her favorite jeans that needed immediate mending. Disappointed, he had retreated to his bedroom, having lost interest in the fashion display altogether. But now that he was alone with his wife, his interest spiked again. Along with an unidentified fuzzy, warm feeling, that he’d also rather not focus on. 

“Woh kya hai na, tum jo pehnogi usse meri image bhi judi hai. Koi purani kapdo ki thaan lapet li, to meri hi beizzati hogi. To isse behtar haina ki main dekh lu acche se ki tum kya pehnogi engagement mein?” he teased Ishita.

“Ravan kumar, don’t worry about your image. You’re lucky to have me by your side,” she retorted. “And as far as my clothes go, I look fabulous in everything I wear. Phir bhi, main aap ko dikha deti hoon maine kya khareeda hai.”

Raman chuckled lightly, hiding his smile as Ishita rummaged through the wardrobe for her new saree and suit. He knew very well -- painfully so -- how beautiful she looked in anything she wore. But getting a rise out of her was so easy, he couldn’t resist.

Ishita sifted through her sarees and suits to find her shopping bags, taking extra long to let her cheeks cool down from the warmth rising in them. What was wrong with her? She wasn’t the type to boast about her beauty or how ‘fabulous’ she looked. She had no misgivings about her appearance. She was an average girl next door. Where did this sudden confidence boost come from?

“Look.” She laid out the saree and suit beside each other on the bed. “Maine ek yeh zari wali saree li hai, aur yeh salwar suit liya hai. I couldn’t decide between the two, to maine dono le li. Actually Amma aur Akka sarees le rahe the, lekin Rinki, Simi, aur Mummyji ne salwaar suit li, so I didn’t know ki main kya lu. Aur ab bhi function mein kya pehnungi yeh nahi pata. Aap kuch suggest kijiye na?”

Raman rubbed his chin and narrowed his eyes as he looked between Ishita and the clothes.

“Raman? Kya soch rahe ho?” she asked.

“You should wear the salwar suit.”

“Are you sure? Main usually sarees pehenti hoon. Salwar suit mein acchi lagungi?”

“Abhi to tumne bola, ‘I look fabulous in everything I wear!’ ” He imitated an exaggerated hair flip. “Don’t worry Madrasan,” he said in a serious tone. “Tum jo bhi pehno, acchi lagti ho. Aur waise bhi, tum ab Punjaban ho. To ek baar Punjaban libaaz bhi peheno.”

“Aap ko lagta hai main jo bhi pehnu, acchi lagti hoon?” she asked, mentally shoving the storm of butterflies in her stomach back in their cage. Now she knew where her confidence boost came from. 

“No… that’s not… I didn’t mean…” Raman was tongue-tied, now that he realized what he said.

Fortunately, he was saved further embarrassment as voices from the compound trailed upward and grabbed their attention. 

“...no Mihika, just let it go!”

“But Mihir…”

“Yeh Mihir aur Mihika ki awaazaein hai na?” Ishita asked. “Kya hua in dono ko?”

From their balcony, they saw them fighting on the ground, their voices getting higher with each growing minute.

“Niche chalo, isse pehle yeh dono pura mohalla sar pe utha le,” Raman said.

“Miku! Mihir! Why are you guys shouting? What happened?” Ishita asked, as she reached the compound of the society. 

“Oye, kyun chilla rahe ho dono?” Raman added, who followed her close behind. “Aas paas dekha to karo, tum kahan ho? Public mein koi aise jaghadta hai kya?”

“Sorry bhai,” Mihir said, realizing how loud they’d been. “Sorry aapko disturb kiya. Main chalta hoon.”

“Ek minute, ruk!” Raman came forward and stopped him from leaving. “Baat kya hai yeh to bata.”

“Bhai…” Mihir hesitated, but then sighed and gave in. “Mihika wants to invite Shagun to the roka.”

Realization dawned in Raman’s eyes. “And you don’t?” he asked.

“No. Not if I can help it.”

“Okay. Then she’s not coming. That’s my promise.”

“Thanks bhai.”

“Lekin jeeju-” Mihika interrupted.

“Mihika, we’ll talk about this later,” Raman gritted out, and Mihika knew better than to argue. 

He turned towards Mihir again. “Tu ghar ja. Aur aaram se so ja. Is sab ke baare mein zyada mat sochna. Hmm?”

Mihir nodded. 

“Jaa,” Raman patted his cheek and sent him on his way. 

As Mihir’s car pulled out of the parking lot, Raman turned towards Mihika and Ishita, both looking rightfully pissed. 

“Raman, you didn’t even listen to her. Use bolna ka mauka to dete aap?” Ishita argued.

“Dekho tum dono, Mihir nahin chahta ki Shagun aaye uske engagement mein aaye. Baat wahin pe khatam hoti hai.”

“Jeeju, yeh bhi to ho sakta hai na Mihir sirf aapko bura na lage isliye mana kar raha hai? After all, she’s his sister.”

“Jab tumne usse pucha to usne kya kaha?”

“Usne Shagun ko invite karne se mana kar diya lekin-”

“Mana kiya na usne, to phir suno uski baat ko. Apni marzi us par thopne ki zaroorat nahi hai.”

“Jeeju, I’d never do that!” Mihika was downright offended. “But the fact remains that she’s his sister. Aur gusse mein liye gaye faisle galat ho sakte hain!”

“Yeh faisla gusse mein liya hua nahi hai Mihika. He made this decision four years ago to cut Shagun out of his life. Don’t force him to go through that again.”

“Raman,” Ishita intervened, “is there really no chance of inviting Shagun? I know you and I don’t get along with her, but our problems can’t negate the fact that she’s Mihir’s sister.”

“This has nothing to do with me, Ishita. Mihir cut her off for good years ago. You know very well how toxic and selfish she is. She was like that in all of her relationships, not just her marriage with me. Mihir cut her off because he wanted a clean break from her, for his own peace of mind. It wasn’t out of any deference or obligation to me. And as far as her being Mihir’s sister, then you know more than anyone that blood is not enough to maintain a relationship. Especially not a one-sided relationship.

“Even if Mihir and Shagun did reconnect, it would be a disservice to him. In every relationship of his, Mihir gives his 110%. He’d do the same for his sister, but Shagun would use him for her own selfish reasons. She’s that kind of a person. That’s how she was as a wife, as a mother, as a sister. And Mihir deserves better than that.”

“I’m so sorry jeeju,” Mihika muttered. “I had no idea. Mihir hardly ever talks about Shagun or his mom…”

“That’s because he hates reliving what he had to go through years ago. And you don’t have to apologize to me. Go say sorry to your boyfriend.”

“I will. Mera phone kidhar… Upar hai shayad-” Mihika sprinted up the stairs looking for her phone to call Mihir.

After Raman and Ishita reached their bedroom, Ishita apologized as well. 

“Sorry Raman. Mujhe nahin pata tha ki Mihir aur Shagun ke beech itni dooriyan hain. I mean, I thought her problems with us would be separate from her relationship with her brother.”

She put away her saree and suit that she had spread out on the bed.

“Shagun ke liye relationships nahi hote Ishita. Uske liye woh transactions hain,” Raman said from the other side of the bed. “She looks at every relationship, every person with just one thought. What could I gain from this? You couldn’t have known. Tum sorry mat bolo.”

“Mujhe to laga tha, agar Shagun ko invite karte to shayad uske saath saath Adi bhi aata. Aap finally mil paate usse.”

As Ishita spread her bedding on the couch, Raman contemplated the idea but eventually decided against it. 

“No Madrasan, that wouldn’t have worked out.”

“Why not?” she asked, sitting beside her pillow.

“If Adi came here for Mihir’s engagement, the focus would be on him, not the bride and groom. Mihir-Mihika wouldn’t get their special day. And more importantly, Adi would be forced to meet our entire crazy clan all at once. Can you imagine how overwhelmed he’d be? He probably doesn’t even know that he has a little sister and a stepmother now. No, it’s best if I meet him first on my own, then slowly integrate him into our family.”

“That’s right, actually. I didn’t think of that. We did the same thing with Ruhi too. She met you first, then the family.”

“Yeah. Let’s just hope Adi accepts us as openly and warmly as Ruhi did.”

“He will, Raman. Maybe not at first, but eventually, he will.”

“Let’s hope so.”

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Clinic - next day, Sunday Dec 1st, 2 pm

“Thank you so much for coming in on a Sunday, Dr. Bhalla,” Sarika said. “Dr. Batra was scheduled to come in for his VIP patient today but he had a family emergency, which is why I had to disturb you.”

“Don’t worry Sarika. I already said, it’s fine. Besides, this patient has been coming to us for years. We weren’t about to give them a chance to complain now, right?”

“Right,” Sarika chuckled, relaxing a bit.

“I’ll take your leave now. You can lock up the clinic and go home too.”

“Yes ma’am. Thanks once again. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!”

“You too!”

Ishita left the building and was greeted by the afternoon sun and chill December air, the perfect combination. She unlocked her car and got in as she perused the notifications on her phone. She was delighted to see a message from Mihika saying all was well between her and Mihir. Besides that, she received a few promotional emails with discount codes and online coupons that she didn’t find very important. She connected her phone to her car’s bluetooth, started her favorite music artist Jagjit Singh, and began driving home.

Hosh Valon Ko Khabar Kya Bekhudi Kya Cheez Hai

Ishq Kije Phir Samajhiye Zindagi Kya Cheez Hai

Hosh Valon Ko Khabar Kya…

Ishita’s mood had been quite upbeat since Raman’s slip-up yesterday. Mihir and Mihika’s fight had distracted them, but his words were now tattooed into her brain. She couldn’t forget them even if she wanted to.

Tum jo bhi pehno, acchi lagti ho.

She never expected her husband to say sweet words. Who needed words when his actions proved every day how selfless and caring of a person he was? But when he did offer them, they were an added bonus.

Unse Nazrein Kya Mili Roshan Fizayen Ho Gayi

Aaj Jaana Pyar Ki Jaadugari Kya Cheez Hai

Ishq Kije Phir Samajhiye…

But despite how selfless she knew him to be, yesterday she saw how protective he was of his family. Even before she married him, she knew how headstrong and stubborn he was when it came to coveting Ruhi, but she had mistaken it at first as antagonism against his ex-wife. She soon realized it stemmed from much deeper fears of losing his kids, but yesterday she had a glimpse of his protection of his entire family, including Mihir. She wasn’t foreign to the concept of cutting a family member off for mental health and peace of mind. After all, her Bala jeeju had completely stopped all contact with his mother Devyani and brother Subbu. But as someone whose second nature was to bend over backwards for someone else, the act of breaking off a relationship still made her uncomfortable. Whether she was raised this way, or whether it was her personality, she couldn’t tell. But she was relieved to have a partner who showed her the reality of life and stopped her from expending energy behind people who didn’t deserve it.

Khulti Zulfon Ne Sikhayi Mausamon Ko Shayari

Jhukti Aankhon Ne Bataya Maikashi Kya Cheez Hai

Ishq Kije Phir Samajhiye…

It had been almost five months since she got married, and according to her sisters and parents, she was now unrecognizable. And they were right. Her anxiety had eased and confidence soared. She smiled a whole lot more now. After all, she finally had someone who she could count on. Who she trusted to be there no matter how bad things got. Someone who stood by his family as a rock and would do the same for her. Someone who wouldn’t run away at the first sign of trouble, as so many suitors -- including Subbu -- had done previously. Maybe she did have trouble focusing on herself or putting her own happiness and desires first. Well, at least she had someone who would do that for her, if she ever forgot.

Hum Labon Se Keh Na Paye Unse Haal-E-Dil Kabhi

Aur Voh Samjhe Nahin Yeh Khamoshi Kya Cheez Hai

Ishq Kije Phir Samajhiye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA2kXuYcB8A 

Bhalla House - 2:20 pm

Ishita walked into her house and was greeted with unusual silence, especially for a Sunday afternoon. 

“Raman, where is everybody?” she asked, as she set her purse and white coat down in her bedroom.

“Ruhi is at Amma and Appa’s place. I think Papa went out to meet a few friends. Romi and Rinki too,” he replied from his desk.

“Aur mummyji?”

“Probably asleep. Taking an afternoon nap.”

“I see…”

Ishita opened the doors to her bedroom balcony and stepped outside, basking in the afternoon sun and light chill breeze. She had a soft spot for cooler weather which she hardly got in Chennai. Maybe she really was a Delhiite at heart. Rinki would be glad to hear it. 

“Ishita, close the balcony doors please. I’m trying to work here!” Raman shouted over the noise of traffic.

She hummed the tune of the song she’d been listening to in the car and hugged herself, a soft smile adorning her lips. Rather than close the doors, she sat down on a chair in the balcony, enjoying the cool weather.

“Madrasan!” Raman looked over and found his wife sitting in the cold December air and a chill ran down his spine. What was she thinking, practically inviting the flu?

He shut his laptop and fished out a shawl from their closet. He stomped towards her and covered her torso with the smooth fabric. Ishita widened her eyes at him, surprised at the gesture.

“Agar thandi ka itna hi shauk hai to kam se kam koi shawl ya sweater to le leti? What if you caught a cold, or the flu?” he reprimanded her.

“That’s a myth, Raman. The cold doesn’t cause infections. Besides, I don’t see you wearing a shawl or coat?”

“I was raised here, woman. I’m used to Delhi winters. You’re not.”

“Maybe not, but I’ll get used to them. I’ve always loved winters. But we hardly get any cold weather in Chennai.”

“Just another reason why you belong here.”

They locked eyes, internally probing the loaded meaning behind his statement. Ishita looked away and resumed humming. She looked heavenly, and Raman couldn’t find it in himself to go back inside. So he joined her in an adjoining chair.

“You’re in a good mood today,” he remarked. 

“Jagjit Singh has the power to cure any foul mood. I was listening to him in the car.”

“Is that what you were humming? ‘Hoshwalon ko khabar kya,’ right?”

“Correct. It’s one of my favorite songs.”

“I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s exactly what I’d expect from you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know. It’s just that… It's a song that… Actually I don’t have the words to describe it. The song just… reminds me of you, I suppose.”

“What’s your favorite song?”

“By Jagjit Singh?”

“By anyone.”

“Hold on.”

Raman went inside and grabbed his phone. He scrolled through his music app as he sat back down and played another Jagjit Singh song.

Badi Naazuk Hai Ye Manzil, Mohabbat Ka Safar Hai

Dhadak Aahista Se, Eh Dil

Dhadak Aahista Se, Eh Dil

Mohabbat Ka Safar Hai

“Good choice,” Ishita commented.

“I haven’t listened to this song in months. Maybe even years,” Raman confessed.

“Why not?”

“Well, I used to love old Hindi songs. But after my divorce… They lost their appeal, I guess. They reminded me too much of a past that was all an illusion. Sounds stupid when I say it out loud right now-”

“It’s not stupid, Raman. I get it actually. You know, when Subbu and I were together, we had this ritual of sneaking out at odd hours for walks on the beach. It was our way of taking a study break. But after we broke up, I couldn’t even look at the ocean without tearing up. So I just avoided the beach completely. And then we moved to Delhi. If there’s one thing I miss about Chennai, it’s the beaches.”

“You’ll be hard-pressed to find a beach in Delhi,” Raman chuckled.

“All I’m trying to say is, avoiding something that reminds you of a painful past is normal. It’s a human reaction to pain. And everything deals with it differently.”

Koyi Sun Le Na Ye Qissa, Bahot Darr Lagta Hai

Koyi Sun Le Na Ye Qissa, Bahot Darr Lagta Hai

Magar Darr Hi Se Kya Haasil

Magar Darr Hi Se Kya Haasil

Mohabbat Ka Safar Hai

“I wish I would’ve dealt with it differently actually. I’d tried to protect my family from everything, but I made it so much worse.” Raman’s tone turned regretful.

“What do you mean?” Ishita probed.

“I just… couldn’t deal with everyone’s pity here. After Shagun and Adi left, I felt like either a charity case or a laughing stock. So I ran to Mumbai. Figured if I hid myself then my family would be protected from my pain. But instead… Well, I don’t have to tell you what the situation was. You’ve seen it yourself. I used alcohol to numb my pain, as my reprieve, instead of working through it.”

“Don’t blame yourself for it, Raman,” Ishita said after a stretch of silence. “I did the same thing.”

“I haven’t even seen you consume a drop of alcohol. What are you talking about?”

“No, I don’t mean I drank alcohol, but I hid myself just like you. After Subbu dumped me, I just internalized my pain until it became a part of me. I hid it in a corner somewhere inside me hoping to hide it from my family. Their sympathy, their worried glances… It was just too much. So I just pretended to be happy. Hopefully get them off my back and give them some peace of mind.”

“I guess this kind of heartbreak is just something we had to work through on our own,” Raman said. “Our families love us, but they couldn’t have understood.”

Bataana Bhi Nahin Aasaan, Chhupaana Bhi Kathhin Hai

Bataana Bhi Nahin Aasaan, Chhupaana Bhi Kathhin Hai

Khud Aaya Kis Qadar Mushkil

Khud Aaya Kis Qadar Mushkil

Mohabbat Ka Safar Hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyyUrDV4rI 

“You said you used to listen to old Hindi songs. Who’s your favorite artist?” Ishita asked, trying to turn the conversation to a happier note.

“It’s hard to pick one. Kishore Kumar, Mohammad Rafi, Hemant Kumar… Jagjit Singh, of course. It’s hard to believe I haven’t listened to them in so long.”

“I would never have guessed that they would be your favorite artists.”

“Who did you think I listened to?” Raman raised his eyebrows.

“At the risk of sounding stereotypical, I thought you’d have lots of Mika Singh and Daler Mehendi in your playlist,” she replied with a sheepish look.

“Then you would be stereotyping me… But you’d also be right.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’m Punjabi. Of course they’re in my playlist. But their songs are for the body and mind. Old Hindi songs are for the soul.”

“You know what, Ravan Kumar? I think you’re a romantic at heart.”

“Don’t tell anyone else or I’ll have to kill them,” Raman chuckled, eliciting a laugh from his wife. He’d never get tired of that sound.

He realized his phone had gone quiet, so he grabbed it and browsed through the music app turning on an old playlist of his. A playlist that soothed his soul, as he liked to call it.

“Is Ruhi still at Amma’s place?” Ishita inquired, getting ready to stand up.

Raman grabbed her hand and stopped her from leaving. “Ruhi’s fine. Just sit here with me.”

“Are we listening to old songs? Why now?” she asked, settling back down.

“I’ve decided that I’ve had enough of focusing on the past, or regretting it, or even thinking about it. Subbu and Shagun have already taken enough from us. They don’t deserve anything else.”

“Good thinking.”

Ishita leaned back and closed her eyes, taking in the afternoon sun, the cool breeze, Jagjit Singh’s voice, and best of all, the feel of Raman’s fingers on her hand. He hadn’t removed it from when he’d stopped her from standing up. She silently threaded her fingers through his, setting their hands on the armrest between them. 

Raman gazed at his wife and relaxed, feeling at peace. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt this light, his soul this calm. As much as the music washed over him, he knew very well that this feeling was the courtesy of his companion, who had now interlocked their fingers together. The lyrics of his chosen song drifted through the air. A song that came to him of its own accord a few minutes ago, its words perfectly encapsulating his feelings for his wife. Maybe he was a romantic after all. 

Tumko Dekha To Yeh Khayal Aaya

Zindagi Dhoop, Tum Ghana Saaya

Aaj Phir Dil Mein, Ik Tammanna Ki

Aaj Phir Dil Mein, Ik Tammanna Ki

Aaj Phir Dil Ko Humne Samjhaaya

Aaj Phir Dil Humne Samjhaaya

Tum Chale Jaaoge To Sochenge

Tum Chale Jaaoge To Sochenge

Humne Kya Khoya, Humne Kya Paaya

Humne Kya Khoya, Humne Kya Paaya

Hum Jisse Gungunaa Nahi Sakte

Hum Jisse Gungunaa Nahi Sakte

Waqt Ne Aisa Geet Kyun Gaaya

Waqt Ne Aisa Geet Kyun Gaaya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GRqHkV9Bls 

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice and beautiful update please update next part soon 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 35

Khanna Mansion - Tuesday, Dec 10th, 4 pm

Shagun heard the screech of a car pulling up in her driveway and plopped the magazine that she was reading onto the coffee table. The front door opened and she stood at the arrival of her son. 

“Adi! My baby!” She called out to her son with open arms. “Come give your mom a hug.”

Adi broke into a sprint and wrapped his arms around his mother. “I missed you so much mom!” he exclaimed. Considering how scarce his mother’s hugs were, he relished the few he received. 

As they broke apart, Shagun signaled for the driver to get Adi’s luggage upstairs to his room. “Beta, tum kuch naashta karoge?” she asked Adi.

“Um… yeah mom, sure.”

“Thik hai. Main jaake kuch leke aati hoon. Why don’t you go sit on the dining table? Phir hum bahot saari baatein karenge.”

“Okay mom.”

Adi sat on the far end of the long wooden table, as his mother stepped towards the kitchen. The ring of a phone stopped her mid-step. She turned around and picked up the phone from the coffee table, answering the call.

“Hey Raina! Long time no see, babe… Really, a charity auction that I didn’t know about?.... Of course she didn’t tell me… You’re right Raina, I always knew that Preeti had a jealousy streak… Obviously I’ll be there, AND I’ll knock her socks off… Exactly, no one can beat Shagun when it comes to clothing… When is the auction?... In an hour?..... No, I’ll be there… Just text me the address… Thanks girl! I’ll see you there!”

Wow, a charity auction in town that Shagun didn’t know about? And for designer dresses, no less! Shagun fumed at Preeti for not inviting her. Her suspicions were on the dot; Preeti had to be jealous of her. Thank god Raina told her on time. She hung up the phone and turned towards Adi.

“Adi beta, mom has to go for an event soon. I’m sorry to cut our time short here. Tumhein jo bhi khaana ho na, cook ko bol dena. Woh tumhare liye bana dega. Tab tak main taiyyar hone jaati hoon. Okay?”

A flash of disappointment crossed Adi’s face which he hastily covered with a bright smile.

“It’s okay mom. I’ll see you later.”

“Thanks beta, I’m sorry again. But I’ll see you tonight! And Ashok will be back then too!” Saying so, Shagun disappeared up the stairs.

Adi slumped his shoulders, sighing in disappointment. He shouldn’t be surprised. This is how it always was. Their time was always cut short. His mother always had a party, or an event, or a function planned when he would rather just sit with her and spend time. Play games, eat, or even just watch TV. He’d take anything at this point. But it was okay. At least she was happy. And she loved him. That’s all that mattered, he told himself, not for the first time.

Having lost his appetite, he simply headed upstairs to his room to unpack. After five years of going back and forth between home and hostel, he had enough practice of packing and unpacking. Except this time, it was permanent. About a week ago, his mother had called his principal and decided that he’d be coming home for good. One call to the principal’s office, and his entire life changed. As we walked into his room, it seemed like the shock of leaving his school friends and favorite teachers had yet to sink in. They had been the center of his life for five long years, and leaving them was one of the hardest things he had to do. But even harder was coming back to Delhi permanently. To the city that held his fondest memories and deepest wounds. His memories were splintered and hazy, but the emptiness they fostered was as fresh as ever.

He shook his head and began unpacking his first suitcase. Shoving his aches and emptiness away was second nature now. So what if this city reminded him of his father and family? Look on the bright side, he told himself. At least now he could be closer to his mother. Maybe now she’d finally be able to find time for him. As long as he avoided Ashok, everything would work out. 

Ashok. Even thinking of that man caused his insides to squirm uneasily. He had never been able to bond with him, or even relate to him in any way. Adi had been so hopeful to fill up the absence of a father figure in his life with his mother’s boyfriend, but the man seemed to have not a single bone of compassion or kindness. He had failed on every account to fulfill any fatherly duties.

The chill December breeze blew his curtains open and sunlight flooded his room. As he stood to fix his curtains, he gazed out at the city that was his home. Blurry memories flashed through his mind like a film reel. His grandmother feeding him kheer on her lap. His grandfather swinging him in the park. Singing and dancing with his aunts to the newest Punjabi remix. Playing football with his uncles. Riding the horse with his Pulkit uncle in his marriage procession even though he was from the bride’s side. He had seen another kid on the horse with him and had thrown a fit asking for a turn to ride the horse as well, to which his father had begrudgingly obliged. Almost painstakingly, he noted that his father was present in each memory. He was always there. He had almost every meal with him. When he went to school, his father dropped him off. When he came home, his father picked him up. Whether he was drawing, learning to read and write, playing football, or even inviting mischief, his father was always there, to help him, guide him, hold his hand, and even scold him. 

Adi shook his head. His father wasn't here now though, was he? He hadn’t been here for years now. Why did he think of him? Why did he remember him and let his wounds bleed again? He didn’t even know if his father was still in this city. Where could he be? Why didn’t he ever come to meet him? Didn’t he yearn to see his son in all these years? No. Why bother wasting time thinking about him then, Adi reprimanded himself. He shouldn’t be thinking about his dad. Not when he wasn’t even in his life anymore. The person who was still in his life now was his mother. That’s right. He should be focusing on her. The one person who still cared for her. He’d do everything in his might to keep her happy. After all, they simply had each other, right?

Committing his priority to his mother and avoiding memories of his father, Adi set to work again. He spent hours reorganizing his closet and dresser, unpacking suitcase after suitcase. If he wanted, he could call someone from the staff, but he was used to doing his things on his own. He liked to think it was because of living in a hostel for so long, but in the deepest recesses of his heart, he knew that it was his father who had started teaching him how to take care of himself. He involuntarily smiled at a memory that flashed in his mind. He had come home from school one day and thrown his shoes, socks, and backpack all over the living room and turned on the TV. His mother wasn’t around at the time and his grandmother coddled him to no end, but his father had sternly asked him to turn off the TV and showed him how to put everything away. He had spent the rest of the evening giving his father a cold shoulder, but the lesson stuck with him regardless. Living on his own in a boarding school simply built skills on top of the foundation laid by his father.

Adi put away his final suitcase and rubbed his eyes, rebuking himself for missing his father again. That man made his choice five years ago when he disappeared from his own son’s life. He had no place in Adi’s life, his mind, or his memories. He took a deep breath and glanced around his room. His video game consoles and expensive toys lay untouched since the last time he was here. Years ago, he would have been thrilled to find them in his room. But now, they seemed more unappealing than boiled broccoli. Instead, his gaze rested on his bookcase. He kneeled in front of it and went through each book hoping to find a world of fantasy to escape his lonely and empty reality. As always, he was pulled to the seven book series in the top right shelf: Harry Potter. It was due for a reread. 

He pulled out the Sorcerer’s Stone and laid back on his bed as he traveled to the magical world of Hogwarts. It never got old, and he doubted it ever would. Like every kid, he dreamed of living in a world of magic and fantasy. But more importantly, he dreamed of living in a world full of friends and family. Friends like Hermione and Ron. A big fat family like the Weasleys. People who would never leave. People who always had his back. He had bonded over the Harry Potter books and movies with many friends at his old school, each of them sharing their favorite book, favorite movie scenes, and even favorite characters. His prankster friends loved Fred and George. The studious topper girl looked up to Hermione. His best friend’s athlete sister was fond of Ginny. The quiet, shy kids related to Ron. Heck, he’d even heard of people whose favorite was Draco. But it marveled him how he had never once heard someone mention Harry himself -- the main character -- as their favorite. Harry, who endured so much pain and loss, but still found the courage in his heart to keep fighting for the wizarding world. His courage and bravery was what Adi admired. His loneliness when living with the Dursleys was what Adi related to. Reading about this kid being brave enough to fight through all his loneliness, pain, and sorrow gave him courage. This kid who was born an orphan but found his big huge family in Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and the Weasleys, gave him hope. One day… one day, he wouldn’t be this lonely. 

Bhalla House - three days later, Friday, Dec 13, 8 am

“Ishimaa, do I really have to go to school today?” Ruhi pouted.

“Of course you do, baby.” Ishita tucked Ruhi’s lunch box in her backpack and hung it on her shoulders. “Why wouldn’t you go?”

“It’s Mihir chachu and Mihika chitti’s function today. I don’t want to miss it. Papa, please tell Ishimaa no?” Ruhi harnessed the power of her puppy dog eyes.

But alas, Raman was immune to them now. “Beta, the function is in the evening. You’ll be back well before the event starts,” he said from the other side of the table between sips of his tea. “Just go to school right now.”

“Come on bacche,” Ishita addressed her daughter. “Tata will drop you off at school today.”

She nudged Ruhi towards the door where she found Vishwa wearing his shoes in their doorway. 

“Ready Ruhi beta?” he asked his granddaughter. 

“Yes Tata! Let’s go!” She took hold of his outstretched hand.

As Vishwa and Ruhi went on their way, Ishita was pleasantly surprised to see Mihir come up the stairs. 

“Arey Mihir?! Tum, is waqt? Aao aao!” Ishita welcomed him. “Itni subah subah kaise aana hua?”

“Actually mujhe to Toshi aunty ne bulaya. Unhone bola kuch urgent baat karni hai roke ke baare mein. And it had to be face to face,” he answered. “Hi bhai,” he waved to Raman at the table. 

“Tu aa gaya Mihir!” Toshi called from the kitchen. “Accha hua. Baith baith. Mainu tere naal badi important baat karni hai. Raman, tu bhi sun.”

Mihir and Toshi joined Raman at the table. Ishita turned to the kitchen to put away the milk and eggs used for breakfast. 

“Listen both of you,” Toshi addressed Mihir and Raman, “There’s actually a small problem in today’s roka.”

Everyone’s attention amplified ten-fold.

“We all know,” Toshi continued, “Mihir isn’t in touch with his biological family. But for tonight’s ritual, Mihir’s sister’s presence is very important.”

“Shagun isn’t coming,” Mihir declared. “That’s not an option.”

“I know beta,” Toshi assured. “I know she’s not a part of this family. She is definitely not invited. But we need someone to fulfill the ritual as your sister.”

Everyone fell into an uncomfortable silence as they pondered the dilemma at hand. Suddenly Mihir’s eyebrows shot up as an idea sparked in his head.

“Bhabhi,” he stood up to face Ishita. “Can I ask you for a favor?”

“Of course Mihir. What can I do for you?”

He folded his hands and made a request. “Will you perform the rituals as my sister?”

Ishita’s eyes widened in surprise. “Are you sure Mihir? I wouldn’t want to overstep…”

“Bhabhi, I mean it. I’ll be extremely grateful if you could do me this favor.”

Ishita stepped forward with misty eyes and clasped her hands over Mihir’s folded ones. 

“I’d be honored Mihir. I don't have a brother, but I’m so lucky to have found one in you.”

Toshi gazed at the scene in front of her with such love, she felt her chest expand. Every single day this woman proved just how full of warmth she was. She was truly meant to be a part of this family. 

“Good good ji, very good,” she clapped. “Tab to problem hi solve ho gayi. Ab to sab shaam ko milte hai. Mihir ki sagaai mein!”

Akash Ganga Society Community Hall - 6 pm

“Phew! That’s the last of the flowers to hang up!” Romi climbed down from the ladder and appreciated his handiwork. He had been helping hang up decorations for the evening’s roka & mangni ceremony.

“Sab kuch ho gaya kya, Romi?” Raman asked, as he entered the hall in his navy blue sherwani. “Arey waah! Tune to badhiya intezaam karwa diya.”

Romi beamed at his brother’s compliment. “Haina bhai? Decorators ne mast kaam kiya hai.”

“Agreed. Acha sun, yahan ka saara kaam to ho gaya hai, to abhi tu upar jaa kar jo roke aur mangni ke liye gifts aur cheezein wagera chahiye, woh leke aa. Teri bhabhi ne sab nikaal ke rakha hai. Tab tak main Mihir ko taiyyar karke lekar aata hoon.”

“Uske ghar se?”

“Nahi paagal, woh upar Ma-Papa ke kamre mein hain. Woh log taiyyar ho gaye hai aur niche hi aate hi honge.”

“Thik hai bhai, chaliye.”

The brothers ascended the stairs and found their parents coming down, their dad busy on the phone. 

“Aap log taiyyar ho gaye?” Raman asked them. 

“Haan puttar, tu jaake Mihir ko taiyyar kar. Tab tak hum log niche jaa kar catering wale ko setup samjha dete hain. Mehmaan aane hi waale honge.”

“Catering wala abhi tak nahi aaya? Main phone karta hoon-”

“Ruk ja puttar!” Toshi stopped her son from taking out his phone. “Bhalla ji unhi se baat kar rahe hain. Woh log bas raaste mein hi hain.”

“Accha thik hai, aap log jayiye.”

Romi and Raman jogged to their parents’ room and found Mihir sitting cross-legged on the bed, busy on his laptop. 

“Waah dulhe raja, sagaai ke din bhi kaam?” Romi teased. “Mihika ko pata chala na to tumhe kaccha chaba jaayegi.”

“Arey nahi yaar, bas ek email forward karna tha. Aur aap logon ka intezaar karte karte thak gaya, isiliye laptop khola,” Mihir replied.

“Humara intezaar karte thak gaya matlab?” Raman said. “Humara intezaar kyun kar raha tha? Hum log tumhe mehendi lagaane wale hai kya? Ek sherwani hi to pehenni thi? Uske baad paghdi hum baandh dete.”

“Par sherwani hai kahan, bhai?”

“Tere paas nahi hai? To kahan hai?!”

“Bhai, main to seedha office se yahan aaya. Meri sherwani to aap kal hi tailor ke paas se le kar aaye the na? Uski fitting thik nahi thi, to humne waapis alter karne ke liye di thi?” Mihir reminded him.

“Oh yeah, I forgot. Mere kamre mein hai. Main lekar aata hoon.”

Raman turned around to leave the room, but bumped into Romi. 

“Bhai tu khada kya hai? Tujhe bola na sagaai ka saaman niche le kar jaana hai?!” he reproached.

“Oh sorry sorry, main bhool gaya. Par bhabhi kahan hai?” Romi asked with a quizzical look. 

“Woh Amma-Appa ke ghar pe Mihika ko taiyyar kar rahi hai. Jaa jaldi.”

“Haan haan main jaata hoon.”

While Raman retrieved Mihir’s sherwani, Romi ran across the hall looking for Ishita.

“Bhabhi! Ishita Bhabhi!” he yelled. 

“Hum log andar hai! Mihika ke kamre mein!” Ishita shouted back.

Romi jogged to the threshold of Mihika’s room and hung onto the doorframe. Mihika was seated in front of the dresser in a gold and pink lehenga, as Ishita stood behind her working on her hairstyle. She herself was dressed in a royal blue and emerald green salwar suit with gold threading. 

“Kya hua Romi?” she asked. 

“Bhabhi, sagaai sa saara saaman kahan rakha hai? Saare gifts vagera niche le jaane hai.”

“Haan dekho, saare gifts living room ke table pe organized hai. Total 11 boxes hai so gin ke saare le lena. Phir pooja aur tilak ki thaali taiyyar kar ke Mata ke mandir mein rakhi hai. Woh bhi chahiye hoga. Aur dono rings mere kamre ke dresser par hai.”

“Eleven gifts, pooja ki thali, and rings. Got it!”

Romi jogged back to his apartment and located the gifts and pooja thali in the main room. After four trips up and down to transport everything, he was drenched in sweat, and regretted wearing his heavy kurta this early. After a brief trip to the restroom to wash his face and hands, he headed to his elder brother’s room to locate the rings. He looked at the dresser; they weren’t there. He moved a few bottles of perfume and lotion around; they still weren’t there. He looked around on the sofa, the bed, the desk, but he saw no rings. 

“Bhabhi! The rings aren’t in your room,” he told Ishita as he approached Mihika’s bedroom again.

“Nahin Romi, wahin par hai. Tum thik se dekho na,” she urged, as she worked through Mihika’s french braid.

“Maine sab jagah dekha, bhabhi. Nahin mile. Aap dhoond dijiye na?”

“Main kaise aa sakti hoon Romi? Dikh nahi raha, main Mihika ke baal bana rahi hoon? Wahin dresser par hai rings. Shaayad Ruhi ko taiyyar karte waqt makeup bag ya jewelry box ke piche chhip gaye honge.”

“Bhabhi, aap hi dhund dijiye na, please? Sirf do minute lagega, chaliye na?” he pleaded.

“Akka, aap jayiye. Tab tak main choti pakadti hoon,” Mihika suggested.

“Accha? Thik hai. Yeh le pakad. Main aati hoon.”

Ishita handed Mihika the end of the braid and rushed out with Romi to her bedroom. As she approached the dresser, she sighed. 

“Romi, come here,” she beckoned her brother-in-law. 

“What is it, bhabhi?”

Ishita picked up her makeup pouch to reveal two velvet boxes encasing engagement rings. “Yeh kya hai?” she asked Romi.

“Um… Engagement rings,” he answered sheepishly.

“Tum bhi na, apne bhai jaise hi ho. Aas paas dekhte nahi aur seedha chillane lagte ho,” she scolded. 

“Sorry sorry bhabhi. My bad. I’ll take these rings and go downstairs.”

Romi grabbed both velvet boxes and rushed downstairs, while Ishita sighed and headed back to the bride.

“Yeh le Mihir, teri paghdi bandh gayi.” Raman stepped aside to let the groom take a look at himself in the full-length mirror. “Kaisa lag raha hai?”

“Wow bhai, I feel like a king!” 

“Forget king man, you’ll feel like an emperor during your wedding. The problem starts after you’re married,” he joked. 

“Wow Mihir, kya lag rahe ho!” Bala called from the door, as he came in to join them.

“Hey Bala, took you long enough. Kahan reh gaye the?” Raman asked.

“Actually Vandu wasn’t feeling very well. So she’s been resting. That’s why we decided to come a bit later. Otherwise she was hoping to come earlier to get Mihika ready.”

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah yeah, nothing to worry about. Just mild nausea and headache. She must have eaten something that didn’t agree with her.”

“Aur tumhara tingu kahan hai?”

“Shravu? Use niche Ruhi aur Rinki mil gaye, to woh wahin ruk gaya.”

“That’s nice.” Raman turned his attention to Mihir. “Come on dulhe raja, ab niche chale? The bride will take her sweet time to get ready but we should get you downstairs at least.”

“Yeah yeah, let’s go.”

In the adjoining flat, Ishita and Vandu worked on Mihika’s dupatta and the finishing touches of her makeup. 

“Mihika, are you sure you didn’t want a professional beautician to do your makeup?” Vandu asked, as she rubbed a pink blush on Mihika’s cheeks..

“No akka, they use too much product. Maybe we can hire someone for the wedding, but today this simple makeup looks best,” she replied.

“Okay then. Your choice. Here, this lipstick is the last step… And your makeup is all done!”

Vandu handed Mihika a hand-held mirror for her to examine her makeup.

“Looks perfect Akka.”

Vandu sat down on the bed and stretched her limbs. She felt another headache set in like the morning and squeezed her eyes shut to relieve the ache. She needed a distraction. 

“By the way Ishu, I’ve been meaning to ask since I came in…” Vandu turned her attention to Ishita, who was busy making pleats in Mihika’s dupatta.

“What Akka?”

“What made you choose this outfit? A salwar suit instead of your usual saree?”

Ishita’s cheeks went pink. She knew very well what her sister was hinting at. Her usual instinct would have been to go for a saree but Raman’s words from days ago compelled her to choose this outfit instead.

Aur waise bhi, tum ab Punjaban ho. To ek baar Punjaban libaaz bhi peheno.

“Akka, my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law are wearing salwar suits. So it’s only natural for me to wear the same.”

“Oh yeah, of course. It’s not like you have a Punjabi husband who might possibly want to see you in these clothes…” Vandu smirked. Mihika snickered from her seat. 

“Tum kya has rahi ho, Miku?” Ishita scolded. “Khadi ho, mujhe yeh dupatta bandhna hain.”

Ishita draped and tucked the dupatta trying to hide her blush from her sister’s teasing. Sure, she wanted to see the look on her husband’s face when he saw her in complete Punjabi attire, but her akka didn’t need to know that.

“Kuch pins dena to,” Ishita gestured to the cluster of safety pins on the dresser. Vandu handed her a few and Ishita pinned Mihika’s dupatta in multiple places. 

“Yeh lo,” Ishita spread her hands and gestured to Mihika. “Ho gayi hamari dulhan taiyyar!”

Mihika spun around in front of the mirror and checked her look from each angle. 

“I love it!” she squealed. “Thanks to you both!” She wrapped her sisters in a quick hug. 

“Okay okay, we have no time for this,” Vandu clapped. “Let’s go downstairs.”

“Yes yes, let’s go.”

Community Hall - 7 pm

“Here comes the bride!” Rinki announced to the guests gathered in the community hall.

Flanked by her sisters, Mihika entered the hall through the glass double doors and trailed to the front of the hall to her family. A dazzling smile embellished the ethereal glow on her face as she walked to Mihir, who stood transfixed gazing lovingly at his beloved. Beside him, Raman held a similar expression, except he only had eyes for Ishita. Along with her royal blue and emerald green salwar, she wore gold chandelier earrings and her hair was done in a long braid entwined with a gold paranda. She looked… sublime. He gazed at her with such intensity as if he were scared she’d disappear if he blinked. He was now accustomed to the punch he felt in his gut whenever he looked at her, but today… today he felt like all his insides were doing the salsa. Today the butterflies that came loose every time threatened to erupt in a storm. She was always beautiful. But today, she was… his

Ishita and Vandu guided Mihika to her spot beside Mihir and stepped back to let the elders take over the rituals. Vandu slid in between Bala and Simi and took out her phone.

“Wait Amma!” Vandu called. “Let me video call Soumya chitti. She’ll want to see this.” 

While Soumya connected online, Ishita took her place beside her husband at the edge of the crowd. Raman leaned down and whispered in her ear.

“Madrasan, aaj tum meri punjaban lag rahi ho.”

Ishita blushed.

“Haan, kisi khaas insaan ne kaha tha, ab main punjaban hoon. To yahin libaaz banta hai na?” she whispered back. 

A few moments passed, and they turned their attention to the event at hand. Both sets of parents -- Madhu & Vishwa and Toshi & Omprakash -- blessed Mihir and Mihika’s union. One by one, every family member showered gifts and blessings on the happy couple. 

As the rituals proceeded, Vandu moved from one place to another with her phone to allow Mihika’s mother to watch the ceremony from as many angles as possible. She zoomed in during the ring exchange but accidentally dropped the phone as a sudden wave of nausea overcame her. She hastily picked up the phone and handed it to Simi beside her. 

“Can you show Chitti the rituals going on? I just need to use the restroom,” she asked.

“Sure.” Simi took the phone and held the camera towards the couple. Ishita was currently applying a tilak to Mihir as his sister.

Vandu pressed her palm against her mouth trying to suppress the sudden waves of nausea that washed over her, as she ran towards the bathroom in the back. What exactly could she have eaten that caused such an upset stomach? Nothing had changed in her routine.

She heaved over the toilet and emptied the contents of her stomach in the bathroom. A sheen of sweat appeared on her brows along with lines of exhaustion. She trudged to the sink and washed her face, hoping her makeup didn’t get too damaged. She’d stuck to simple kajal and lipstick though, so she wasn’t too worried.

She was startled by sudden knocks on the door.

“Vandu! Vandu, are you okay?” Bala called. 

Vandu opened the door and walked out of the bathroom. Instinctively, Bala’s hands shot up and cupped her face.

“Oh my god, Vandu. You look… Are you feeling sick again?” he asked, voice laced with concern.

“I’m fine Bala. Just another bout of vomiting.”

“I’ve been telling you since last night. Let’s go to an urgent care clinic. You’re really getting sick.”

“No Bala, that’s not necessary. If I rest for a few days, this will pass.”

“Fine. But I’m booking an appointment with our family doctor right now.” 

He withdrew his phone from his pocket and opened the web browser. A sudden thought occurred to Vandu, and she instinctively grabbed her husband’s arm.

“Bala?” she said, with a tremulous voice.

“What dear?”

“What is today’s date?”

“December 13th. Why?”

After a minute of mental math, she spoke up. “Bala… I think I’m pregnant.”

Khanna Mansion - two days later, Sunday, Dec 15, 11 am

Shagun stirred in her bed and stretched her arms over her head. She glanced at her bedside clock which read 11:03 am. As she languidly stretched and sat up, she ran her hand through her sleep-tousled hair. She briefly recalled waking up three hours ago to find Ashok leaving for a golf tournament. Despite their discussion last night of going out with Adi today, he had chosen to spend it golfing with his friends. Her numerous pleas had fallen on deaf ears. In fact, Ashok had categorically refused to spend any time with Adi. His words from this morning still rang in her head.

“Shagun, stop whining now. I don’t have time for your son. I’m going to my friends’ place right now. I’ll be spending the day there.”

For years, she had fervently hoped to build a family of sorts -- her son, her fiancé, and herself. A dream that seemed elusive despite her best efforts. Heck, she couldn’t even get her fiancé to start talking about wedding prep, and they’d been engaged for five months now! Groaning in frustration at her boyfriend, Shagun lifted the covers back and sat up on the edge of her bed. As was her morning routine, she chugged a glass of water and opened Instagram. She’d been blowing up with followers since her last picture at the charity auction and the number of likes of her recent post inflated her ego. She set the glass down and swiped through the newests posts and stories on her feed. 

Suddenly, a story by a childhood friend caught her eye. A picture of Mihir and Mihika showing off their rings with the following caption:

Congratulations on your engagement Mihir! May God bless you and your better half with infinite joy and happiness! xoxo

With her spine snapped straight in attention, Shagun found Mihir’s profile. He had uploaded about six new posts and each picture sent shock and anger spiraling through her system. Each post showed her brother amidst rituals and traditions getting engaged to Ishita’s sister. He didn’t even think it was necessary to let his own sister know? And of all people in the world he could be getting engaged to, it had to have been that woman’s sister? This must have been Ishita’s doing, Shagun thought. She trapped Raman and put her sister to work to trap Mihir for their money. She knew it. 

She stopped at one post, glaring at it with steam whistling through her ears and her blood boiling. Mihir and Mihika were flanked by Ishita and Raman on either side, with Ruhi in Raman’s arms. The bright smiles on their faces caused the tendons of her heart to stretch until they threatened to snap. Family. That’s what they looked like. A true family. A family that her ex-husband managed to build in less than six months but she couldn’t in five long years. 

Just when she thought her rage had reached its limits, another picture sent her fuming. Mihir and Mihika were seated in their chairs while Ishita applied a tilak to Mihir’s forehead. The caption read: When you’re lucky enough to get two new family members on the same day - @_mihika_ as a fianceé and @dr.ishita.bhalla as a sister :)

“That witch!” Shagun screamed, throwing her phone against the wall. How dare she? Shagun hadn’t received an ounce of appreciation, much less acknowledgment, as Mihir’s sister, but this woman did?! Ishita was allowed to do the rituals as Mihir’s sister?! First Ruhi, then Raman, then the Bhallas, and now Mihir? That woman had replaced her in everyone’s lives!

“Mom!” Adi’s voice trailed upstairs and broke through her temper. “Mom… I’ve been meaning to ask…” he muttered as he nervously approached the door of her bedroom.

“What is it, Adi?!” she yelled, causing her son to jump.

“Actually… mom… I um… I was thinking…”

“Dammit Adi, just say what you want to say!” 

“I was wondering if Dadu and Dadi were still in Delhi. I just… haven’t met them in so long… And bua… chachu… And pa-”

“PAPA?” Shagun shrieked, finishing his sentence. Her anger erupted. “You want to meet your dad, Adi?! The man who left you five years ago?!” 

Shagun glared at her son with a storm brewing in her eyes. She still had control over Raman and his family. Maybe not as his ex, maybe not as Ruhi’s mom, maybe not even as Mihir’s sister… but she was still Adi’s mom. And she knew exactly which buttons to press to keep her son under control. 

“No mom… I was… I was just curious…” Adi stammered.

“Come here.” 

Shagun yanked his arm and sat him down on the bed as she picked up her phone from the wall. She opened Instagram and sat down beside him to show his uncle Mihir’s engagement pics. 

“You want to know what your father has been up to? Look!”

She clicked on the post where Mihir and Mihika were surrounded by Raman, Ishita, and Ruhi and showed it to her son. 

“You see your Mihir mama? He got engaged two days ago. And he didn’t even tell me. You know why? Because he and your father have replaced me with this woman! Isheeta! Your father married her six months ago. Your dadu, dadi, bua, chachu, all look up to her. Even Mihir considers her as a sister now! Look!”

She scrolled to the picture of Ishita applying a tilak to Mihir’s forehead, and read the caption out loud. 

“You still want to see them?! Then fine. Just wait. There’s more.” She zoomed in on Raman carrying Ruhi in his arms.

“You see this girl? Her name is Ruhi. She’s my daughter. Mine and Raman’s. Your younger sister.” Shagun continued with a catch in her throat. “But she doesn’t even call me mumma. She calls this Isheeta her mother. Isheeta took your sister away from us. You never even got a chance to meet her!”

Adi gazed at the picture in shock, trying to process the bombshell his mother just dropped. He had a sister… A stepmother… His father had remarried. He had truly moved on. He really had forgotten Adi and his mother. And here he was still lamenting over his loneliness…?

“Seriously Adi?! Everyone’s left me and even you want to leave me!” Shagun dropped her phone on the bed and paced back and forth, sobbing. “Is this how much you love your mother? The mother that has tried so hard to give you the best of everything?”

Adi’s brows furrowed and his heartbeat leapt. What had he done? His curiosity had gotten the better of him, causing him to ask about the Bhallas’ whereabouts. But he hurt his mother in doing so. How could he do such a thing? To his mother who had done so much for him?

“I’m… I’m so sorry mom!” He leapt into his mother’s arms. “I’m so so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I promise, I don’t want to see them. I don’t want to meet them. I just want you to be happy. I love you mom,” he cried.

Shagun wrapped her arms around her son. “I love you too beta. I love you too…”

Adi tightened his embrace around her mother and blinked away his tears. His father didn’t deserve any more mental energy from him. His first priority was his mother. 

“Mom,” he stepped back to look her in the eyes. “Kyun na aaj hum dono kahin bahar chale?”

Shagun wiped her tears and cupped her son’s face. “I think that’s a great idea Adi. Kahan jaana hai tumhe?”

“Um… mujhe…”

“Beta, kyun na hum Emporio Mall chale? A mother-son shopping spree. And you can get the latest video games that have been released. Whatever you want.”

“Okay mom,” Adi smiled. “Whatever you want.”

DLF Emporio Mall - 4 pm

“Look mom! I want this one. PlayStation 5!”

Adi ran over to the next aisle where a huge poster advertised the latest gaming console, balancing a stack of DVDs in his hands. Shagun followed closely with a bunch of bags in each hand. She carried the latest clothes and accessories for herself along with branded shoes and clothes for her son. 

“You like this one Adi?” she asked, raising her chin to gesture to the PlayStation. 

“Yes mom! The one we have at home is the older version. This is the latest. Let’s get this one.”

“Okay beta.” She turned from her son and gestured to the salesman nearby. “Excuse me! Excuse me! We’d like to get this gaming console packed please!”

As Shagun talked with the salesman, Adi breathed a sigh of relief for the nth time today. His screwup from this morning had been all but forgotten. Though he still couldn’t rid himself of guilt completely. He mentally chided himself for hurting his mother. Again. At least she was happy now. After hours of browsing and shopping through the most extravagant mall of Delhi, her smile was back. If someone had looked at them today, they would’ve seen a spoiled kid trailing along with his mother. A privileged kid who had the luxury of getting anything he wanted with the snap of his fingers. Years ago, that would have been true. When Ashok first came into his life, he and his mother were inundated with gifts and toys they’d never dreamed of. But today, all this materialism had turned into the only way to bond with his mother. The only time he received his mom’s full and undivided attention was when she was shopping for him and showering him with expensive gifts. Gifting and spoiling him was her primary love language, which Adi now cherished, considering how rarely he had the fortune of his mother’s company. Truth be told, he didn’t need any of these lavish items to feel loved. He’d be just as happy (if not more) with a simple movie at home, cuddling in his mom’s lap.

“Aur yeh DVDs bhi leni hai humein. Adi, uncle ko woh DVDs de do,” Shagun instructed.

Adi handed the salesman the stack of DVDs and followed him and his mother to the checkout counter. Sure, he and his mother had had a rough start. But today was a day well spent. Here’s to hoping for smooth sailing forward.

Bhalla House - two days later, Tuesday, 6:10 pm

“Ishimaa!” Ruhi ran to her mother in the kitchen, as her Bharatanatyam anklets jingled with each step. She’d just come home with her father, who was removing his shoes at the front door. 

“Aa gayi shaitaan?!” Ishita gave one last stir to the rasam and wiped her hands to hug her daughter. “Kaisi thi bharatanatyam practice?”

“It was good.”

“Aur aapne anklets kyun nahi nikaale abhi tak? Jao, jaa kar anklets nikalo aur homework karne baitho.”

“Pehle aap batao, dinner mein kya hai mumma?”

“Aaj ka dinner mein Tamilian cuisine hai. Rasam and coconut rice. Aur saath mein payasam bhi. Lekin abhi aap jaa kar homework shuru karo papa ke saath. Dinner ready hoga tab aap ko bulaaungi. Go.”

Ruhi ran into her room and removed her anklets. 

“Ruhi! Apni books leke living room mein aa jao!” she heard her father call.

“Coming papa!”

She gathered her books and pencil box and joined her father at the living room table, while her mother worked on dinner in the kitchen.

“Kya baat hai? Aaj tum akele dinner bana rahi ho? Aur woh bhi madrasi khaana?” Raman asked Ishita, as Ruhi began working on her math homework.

“Haan woh mummyji-papaji Pammi aunty ke ghar gaye hai. Unke kisi common friend aaye huye hai to unko khaane pe bulaya hain. Aur Rinki-Romi bhi late aane wale hain.”

“Okay, but that still doesn’t explain why you’re making South Indian food.”

Ishita shrugged. “I was craving it for a while.”

They fell into a comfortable silence for the next hour, Ishita cooking and Raman helping Ruhi with her homework. 

“Great job Ru. Give me a high five!” Raman congratulated his daughter on finishing her homework and getting all the answers right. 

The family then sat for dinner together. For once, Raman ate the rasam-rice without a peep. Looks like he was finally getting used to ‘gunpowder’ in his food. Once they finished up, Ruhi washed her hands and started the TV.

“Don’t watch TV for too long, beta,” Ishita said. But her daughter was already engrossed in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. 

Before she could repeat herself, her phone rang and distracted her. She answered the call while Raman washed the dishes. 

“Vandu akka ka video call?” Her sister usually opted for a voice call if possible. She pressed the green accept call button and her screen was illuminated with Bala’s face. 

“Jeeju, aap? Akka ke phone se call kar rahe hai? Woh bhi video call?” she asked, confused. 

“Yes Ishu, actually news hi aisi hai ki face to face baat karna important hai.”

“Is everything okay jeeju?” Caution laced her voice. Raman wiped his hands and joined her to face Bala. 

“Hold on.” Bala moved over and sat down on his couch next to Vandu. “Okay, now we can tell you… Vandu’s pregnant!” Bala beamed with pride and joy.

After a moment of pleasant shock, Ishita and Raman burst with excitement, congratulating them simultaneously. 

“Oh my god, congratulations!!”

“Such amazing news!”

“When did you find out? Have you been to the gynec yet?” Ishita asked.

“We found out over the weekend,” Vandu answered, radiant with bliss. “And yeah, I had an appointment with the gynecologist yesterday.”

“Wait, are we the first ones to hear this?” Raman asked. “Do Amma and Appa know?”

“Yes Raman, of course my mother knows!” Vandu chuckled. “We told them a couple hours ago. We’re just announcing it to close family though. We’re not making a big deal this early. You guys also don’t tell anyone other than family in the house.”

“Of course, of course, we understand,” Raman replied. 

“Akka, Shravu must be so excited…” Ishita said.

“Arey baat mat pucho Ishu…”

They chatted for a while until Vandu had to hang up to call Mihika. While Raman finished doing the dishes, Ishita changed out of her saree into a comfortable kurti and leggings. 

Raman and Ishita’s bedroom - 9:45 pm

The rest of the evening had passed by rather quickly, as Raman and Ishita shared the news of Vandu’s pregnancy to the rest of the Bhalla family upon their arrival. Ishita’s payasam had come in handy as a sweet treat to commemorate the good news. 

The day’s exhaustion finally caught up to everyone as they retired to their rooms for the night. Raman got under the covers and turned on the TV. Ishita applied lotion to her face and hands as part of her night routine. 

“Ishimaa?” Ruhi’s voice beckoned her from the door. 

“Haan Ruhi? Kya hua? Neend nahi aa rahi?” she asked, turning around to face Ruhi.

Ruhi walked in and climbed onto her mother’s lap. 

“Mumma, sab log itne khush kyun hai aaj? Aur sab Vandu periamma ke baare mein kya bol rahe the… pre…peg…” Ruhi struggled.

“Pregnant?” Ishita finished for her.

“Haa wohi!”

Ishita picked up her daughter and settled down on the other side of the bed, with Ruhi in her lap. 

“Sab log isiliye khush hai kyun ki periamma aur periappa ko baby hone waala hai. Shravu aur aapko baby sister ya baby brother milne wala hai. Pregnant hona matlab jab baby mumma ke tummy mein hota hai, for nine months, tab mumma ko pregnant bolte hai,” Ishita explained. 

“Matlab abhi periamma ke tummy mein baby hai? Saare babies apni mumma ke tummy se aate hai?”

“Yes baby.”

“Par main to aapke tummy mein nahi thi na? Main to Shagun mumma ki tummy mein thi…?”

Raman’s head turned and Ishita’s smile dropped. This was her bane. That she couldn’t carry a child. Ruhi and Raman and her family had filled every fissure in her being but yet, certain cracks seemed irreparable. 

“Ruhi,” Raman scooched closer to his wife and daughter and settled Ruhi between them. “To kya hua agar aap Shagun mumma ki tummy mein thi? Aap ke liye to Ishimaa hi aap ki mumma hai na?”

“Yes papa.” Ruhi leaned against her mother and hugged her waist. “Bhagwaan ji se maybe mistake huyi thi. Unko mujhe Ishimaa ke tummy mein hi rakhna chaahiye tha…”

Ishita swallowed a brick of tears and willed her heart to beat normally. She had her precious girl right here in her arms. Who cares if she didn’t have the good fortune of carrying her in her womb?

“Wait a minute,” Ruhi untangled herself from her mother and spoke up. “Main aapki tummy mein nahi thi to kya hua? Aap bhagwaan ji ko bolo ki aapki tummy mein doosra baby rakh de. Mere liye baby brother ya baby sister?”

Anxiety crept up like a snake throughout Ishita’s chest. Ruhi doesn’t know, she thought. She doesn’t know the one source of pain in Ishita’s life. How could she tell her…? What would she say…?

Raman recognized Ishita’s dilemma and leapt to action. 

“Ruhi,” He tapped her on the shoulder. “Aap ko baby brother kyun chahiye? Aapka to brother hai na? Adi bhaiya?”

“To phir Adi bhaiya kahan hai?” she cried. “Mujhe unse milna hai. Unke saath rehna hai, khelna hai!”

The snake of anxiety seemed to transfer from Ishita to Raman. 

“Baby, Adi bhaiya abhi hostel mein hai,” Ishita told her. “Woh jaise hi waapis aayenge, hum sab unko milne jaayenge.”

A frown marred Ruhi’s lips that neither of her parents were able to erase. 

“Accha Ru, kyun na aaj Ruhi, mumma, aur papa, sab saath mein soye?” Raman suggested, as a means of distraction. “Family sleepover?”

“Okay papa,” Ruhi complied. 

The family of three tucked themselves under the covers. Raman turned off the bedside lamps and turned over, placing an arm on Ruhi. Ishita caressed Ruhi’s head, gently putting her to sleep. Unfortunately, sleep seemed elusive to both parents.

“Jaag rahi ho?” Raman asked his wife half an hour later. The room was dark but he didn’t need to see her face to know she would be awake. 

“Hmm,” Ishita replied. “Aapko bhi neend nahi aa rahi hai na?”

“Nahi.”

“Ruhi ko nahi pata… meri surgery aur… uske effects ke baare mein. Agar usne dubara pucha toh-”

“Use batane ki zaroorat nahi hai. Tumhein waise bhi us baat se bahot takleef hoti hai. Aur waise bhi… bacche kabhi kabhi aisi zid karte hai. Aaj use pata chala ki Shravu ko baby brother ya sister mil raha hai to usne bhi zid ki. Uski har zid seriously mat lo.”

“Okay.”

A silent moment passed.

“Ishita?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Raman.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes- Well, not completely. I just… I hadn’t thought about my surgery in such a long time, you know? I’ve just… I’ve been too happy to focus on that.”

Raman ignored the happy dance his heart did hearing that.

“So when Ruhi asked about me having a baby,” Ishita continued, “it just came as a shock. I’ll be fine.”

“Okay.”

“But are you okay?” She turned the focus of their conversation onto her husband. “Ruhi mentioned Adi-”

“I will be,” he answered. “I’m glad she still thinks about him, but it hurts that she can’t see him. I don’t care what Shagun says, as soon as Christmas break begins in Adi’s school, I’m going to meet him. I’ll break down Ashok’s door if I have to.”

“As much as I admire that spirit, make sure you take Pathak in loop before you make a decision. You don’t want to violate the custody agreement and get in any legal trouble. That would seem counterproductive,” Ishita chuckled.

“Touché Madrasan,” Raman agreed. “Touché.”

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very interesting update please update next part soon 

omsai24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Part 32 Beautiful update

Ladies went on shopping for mimika engagement leaving kids to mans Ishita was confused what to buy remembering ramans word she brought Punjabi suite raman and Bala talk was nice Bala told raman if ever he needs to talk someone he will be always there for him that was so nice raman told Bala he and Ishita are trying to reconnect with adi but asked Bala not share this with anyone else Bala promised him raman and Bala were teasing mihir haha mihika said shagun may come in engagement as she is mihira sister Ishita asked her to ask mihir first she agreed raman asked Ishita to show her shopping to him loved their cute talk and banter mimika were fighting ishra made them understand raman told mihir of he don't want to invite shagun he don't need to Ishra made mihika understand she decided to say sorry to Mihir ramans concern for Ishita was nice ishra talking about old song was so nice 

omsai24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Amazing and lovely update

Adi is finally back from hostel shagun is so selfish poor adi she just think about herself poor adi is wants to spend time with her but she is busy in herself adi feels so lonely he was remembering time spent with his grandparents aunt uncle and especially his father who was always there for him but he thinks his father don't want to meet him I hope his misunderstanding will clear soon toshiji told mihir he will have to invite shagun otherwise who will do the rituals of his sister mihir looked at Ishita he pleaded her to become his sister and do the rituals she happily agreed toshiji was so proud on Ishita raman was lost in Ishitas look that was so cute finally mimika got engaged shagun saw the pics such a disgusting woman poor adi she shouted at him she told him all lie she thinks Ishita have snatched raman and ruhi from her what a lier woman poor adi he always try to make her happy she is talking always negative about raman to adi hope adi will soon see her true face poor boy was shocked hearing about his sister he went to shopping so he can spend time with shagun he is craving for love so vandu is pragnent poor ruhi in her innocence she unknowingly reminded Ishita she can't become mother raman told her she have a brother Ishra were not able to sleep waiting for their talk

Please update soon

-RKB- thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

when we'll get update....Dear..

i thought to ask u to write more ishra stories...

Mreddy thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Beautiful story..Eagerly waiting for an update.  checking YHM forum just for an update to this story.

Thank you

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 36

Bhalla House - three days later, Friday, 20th Dec, 9 pm

“Aaja mera bhachungda, tenu baal mein tel laga du,” Toshi beckoned to Ruhi as she situated herself, cross-legged on the sofa. “Mere baalon mein lagane be baad ab bhi aadhi katori baaki hai.”

Ruhi dropped her dolls in the middle of the living room where she sat and sighed. “Do I have to, dadi?” she pouted. “Mujhe apne hair oily nahi karne hai…”

“Aaja na puttar,” Toshi pleaded. “Tujhe teri maa jaise lambe ghane baal chahiye ki nahi? Aaja, baith idhar.” She patted on the empty space in front of her on the sofa. 

Ruhi pushed aside her dollhouse and plopped down in front of her grandmother. Toshi undid Ruhi’s braids and began applying oil to one section after another.

“Dadi, aap kabhi Ishimaa ko oil kyun nahi lagati? Aap aur mumma sirf mere baalon ke piche padi rehti hai,” Ruhi complained.

“Lo bolo. Mushkil se to tere baal mein hafte main ek baar tel lagaate hai hum, aur complain to aise kar rahi hai jaise har din hum tujhe tel mein nehelate ho,” Toshi chuckled.

“Oil mein to papa naahaye the Diwali par, remember? Kitne funny lag rahe the,” Ruhi giggled.

“Haan, baat to teri sahi hai. Bada funny lag raha tha mera puttar.”

Toshi continued massaging oil into Ruhi’s scalp and hair. 

“Dadi, don’t distract me!” Ruhi exclaimed. “Answer my question please, aap Ishimaa ko oil kyun nahi lagaate?” She turned around to face her grandmother.

“Arey, tu saamne dekh. Sar itna hila mat.” Toshi grabbed Ruhi’s chin and turned her head back to the front and continued her oil massage.

“You didn’t answer my question, dadi.” Toshi couldn’t see her face but chuckled at hearing the pout in Ruhi’s voice.

“Which question betu?” another woman’s voice asked. 

Toshi and Ruhi turned their heads to see Ishita emerge from her bedroom in her night clothes - a short black kurti and white leggings. She dropped to the armchair opposite Ruhi and Toshi.

“Kya puch rahe the aap dadi se?” she asked her daughter.

“Yahin ki woh kabhi aap ke hair mein oil kyun nahi lagaati?”

“Are betu, main apne hair mein khud oil lagaati hoon, isiliye.”

“Oh nahi Ishita,” Toshi intervened. “Aaj main tere baalon mein tel lagaati hoon. Yeh Ruhi ke baalon ka ho jaaye, phir tu bhi baith ja.”

“Nahi nahi mummyji, uski koi zaroorat nahi-”

“Karne de na puttar! Maa ko kabhi mana nahi karte.”

“Lekin-”

“Dekh puttar, maa ke liye bacche kabhi bade nahi hote. Aaj main teri mast tel maalish karti hoon.”

“Thik hai, mummyji. As you wish,” Ishita conceded with a soft smile.

“Bas Ruhi puttar?” Toshi turned her attention back to Ruhi. “Ab mere, tere, aur teri maa ke baal sab tel wale honge. Sirf tere akele ke nahi.”

“Hmm…” Ruhi said nothing, but Ishita chuckled at the smug smile on her daughter’s face.

Toshi kept massaging Ruhi’s hair, her fingers digging deep into her scalp, nourishing her roots. 

“Waise Rinki kahaan hai? Aaj use bhi tel lagaa deti hoon,” Toshi said. “Pata nahi us ladki ne aakhri baar apne tel mein baal kab lagaya tha. She does all kinds of straightening and curling and heating treatments but god forbid, she ever apply some oil in her hair. Yeh saari modern spa aur heat treatments ke chakkar mein hi sab ladkiyon ke baal itne patle aur rookhe-sookhe ho gaye hain. Main to kehti hoon, agar regularly apne baal mein tel laagao aur time pe baal acche se dho na, to baal itne lambe aur ghane honge ki baat mat pucho. Hum log to apne zamaane mein-”

“Bhabhi!” Rinki’s voice echoing from her bedroom interrupted Toshi’s rant. “Ishita bhabhi!”

“Rinki, hum log living room mein hai!” Ishita called back. 

Rinki stepped out into the living room and propped down on the seat beside Toshi. 

“Kya hua? Why were you shouting for me?” Ishita asked.

“Bhabhi, maine apna laptop aapke room mein charging pe rakha hai. I think main apna charger apne office mein bhool gayi hoon,” Rinki replied.

“Charger kho to nahi gaya na? Ek naya order kar de?”

“Nahi bhabhi, mere cubicle mein hi hoga. I’ll check tomorrow. Agar nahi hoga to phir we can order a new one.” She glanced at the scene beside her. “Waise yahan kya chal raha hai?” she asked.

“Main Ruhi ke baalon mein tel lagaa rahi hoon,” Toshi supplied. “Aur phir Ishita ke baalon mein bhi. Tu bhi aa, tere bhi baalon mein lagaa doon.”

“No mom, my hair will get all greasy-”

“Bilkul nahi! Main ek bhi bahana nahi sunoongi!” Toshi interrupted her daughter’s complaints. “Tere baal kitne rookhe-sookhe ho gaye hai. Kam se kam ek raat ke liye to lagaa le? Phir kal subah baal dho dena.”

Rinki still looked hesitant. 

“Rinki, laga le na tel?” Ishita prompted. “It’s really good for hair.”

“Okay fine,” she sighed. 

“Good,” Toshi handed Rinki the now empty saucer of oil. “Toh jaa, is katori mein aur tel garam kar ke laa.”

Rinki begrudgingly unraveled herself from her comfortable spot on the couch and jogged to the kitchen to warm up more oil. 

“Dekh Ruhi, tere baal mein ekdum mast tel laga diya. Ab bol, baal kaise banau? Braids ya ponytail?” Toshi asked.

“Mujhe two braids chahiye! Lekin Ishimaa banaayengi!” Ruhi demanded. 

“Thik hai, jaa apni maa ke paas,” Toshi chuckled. “Rinki, aa jaa. Jab tak Ishita Ruhi ke baal bana rahi hai, tab tak main tere baal mein tel lagaa du.”

Ruhi scooched over to sit in front of her mother, who grabbed the comb from the coffee table and ran it through her hair. As Ishita parted her daughter’s hair and began braiding, Rinki made herself comfortable in front of her own mother to have her hair oiled. 

“Aisa lagta hai,” Rinki giggled, “jaise humne yahan koi salon khol rakha hai. Bhalla Women’s hair salon.”

“Tu jaanti nahi hai Rinki, jab main tere umar ki thi na, to kuch waqt ke liye mujhe beautician banne ka bada shauk chadha tha,” Toshi revealed.

Ishita widened her eyes at her mother-in-law’s revelation, pausing in the action of tying one of Ruhi’s braids.

“Sach me mummyji?” 

“Haan, lagbhag 30-35 saal pehle ki baat thi. Utna shauk ab nahi raha.”

“Lekin mumma, aap ko to sajne-savarne ka abhi bhi shauk hai. In fact, you were the first person who taught me about the basics of makeup,” Rinki commented. “What changed?”

“Well, when I was in my teens, right before I turned 20, I took a couple courses in college with my friends to be a beautician. Nothing too fancy, just like waxing, makeup, facials, hair treatments, and such. In most of my friends’ weddings, when we couldn’t afford professional beauticians or makeup artists, I used to do their makeup. Everyone was so impressed, a couple of my friends suggested I could become a professional and actually make decent money. I thought about it for a while as I was finishing my graduation, but…”

“But what mumma?” Rinki asked, even as her mother dug her oil laden fingers into her hair and scalp. Ishita tied Ruhi’s second braid and wiped her hands, pulling her daughter into her lap, who was just as engrossed in her grandmother’s story.

“Well, right as I was finishing my graduation, I met your father.” A barely noticeable blush bloomed on Toshi’s cheeks as she reminisced about her youth. If Ishita hadn’t had her eyes fixed on Toshi, she would’ve missed it. She couldn’t help but wonder what the feeling would be like. To love someone with such depth and passion that even decades weren’t enough to live it through. 

“My priorities changed,” Toshi continued. “I got married, then I had kids, and I couldn’t even bear the thought of leaving one of you to go attend to strangers.”

Ishita clutched Ruhi tighter in her lap. If she didn’t know her mother-in-law better, she would’ve thought it was a taunt on working mothers like her. Toshi hadn’t been anything but supportive of her work since the day she met her, but the guilt of a working mom caught up to her at times. The guilt of not giving 100% to her daughter because of work; the guilt of not giving 100% to her work because of her preoccupation with her kid and family. Every mom tried her best, but some sliver of guilt always remained.

“Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against mothers who choose to work,” Toshi added quickly with a soothing glance to her daughter-in-law. “That was just a choice I didn’t want to make for myself. So makeup and hair and all became just a hobby then, nothing more.”

Toshi ran her fingers through Rinki’s hair and finished with the oil application. As she wiped her hands of oil and began combing her daughter’s hair into a braid, Rinki raised a question. And a rather difficult one at that.

“Mumma, do you regret letting go of your dreams to get married? To have kids?” Rinki asked softly.

Toshi chuckled lightly. She had expected such a question. “Not. At. All. I didn’t have a dream or passion, Rinki. It was just a hobby. Something I was good at. The thought of going professional was just a passing thought. For me, being a wife and mother was much more important.”

Rinki sighed. How many women in their society had to sacrifice their dreams to adhere to the patriarchy and conform to arbitrary gender roles? And how far had they really come from such a mindset? She recalled the endless discussions she had had with Mihika, about how despite being the best at their jobs, excelling in their careers, the first questions they were always asked was about when they would be getting married. 

Ishita recognized the wheels turning in her sister-in-law’s mind. She was very similar to Mihika in certain regards -- feisty, short-tempered, modern, and good hearted. Much as how Simi was similar to Vandu -- experienced, patient, and wise beyond her years. 

“Rinki,” Ishita grabbed her attention as Toshi braided her hair. “Just because your priority is your career, doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with a woman who chooses to prioritize her family. What matters is that women should have the freedom to make that choice. Some choose family like mummyji, Amma, & Simi; some choose their career like you and even Mihika to some extent; and some like me and Vandu Akka choose both.”

The lines of frustration erased from Rinki’s forehead just as Toshi ended her braid and tied it. She gave her bhabhi a slight nod of acknowledgement. Even though she wouldn’t make such a choice for herself, she had to respect the choices her mother had made. Because what mattered was that she made the choice, by her own volition, for her own happiness.

“Yeh leh, tere baal ban gaye,” Toshi told Rinki with a pat on her shoulder. “Raat ko sote waqt apne takiye pe koi napkin ya towel rakhna, thik hai? Warna takiye ka cover pura tel-tel ho jaayega.”

As Rinki got up and stretched her limbs, Ishita nudged Ruhi in her lap. “Neend aa rahi hai betu? Sone chale?”

“No Ishimaa, mujhe bilkul neend nahi aa rahi hai. Aur kal to school bhi nahi jaana. Main thodi der TV dekhu? Aur mujhe papa se bhi milna hai. Woh abhi tak nahi aaye,” Ruhi said. 

Ishita expected as much. “Thik hai, aap thodi der dekho. Jao. Tab tak Dadi mere baalon mein bhi tel lagaa dengi.”

Ruhi climbed off her mother’s lap and curled up on the sofa opposite the TV with Rinki, while Ishita sat cross-legged in front of her mother-in-law. Toshi unraveled Ishita’s bun and began massaging oil into her scalp, as the Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse theme song played from the TV.

“Wow mummyji, aapke haathon mein to jaadu hai,” Ishita sighed with satisfaction. “Aaj se pehle kabhi meri tel maalish kyun nahi ki?”

“Tune kabhi pucha hi nahi puttar,” Toshi chuckled. “Koi nahi, ab jab bhi man ho na tel maalish ka, to bol dena mujhe.”

“Mummyji, jab hum chote the, to Amma hum sab ko aise hi tel lagaaya karti thi. Aaj lagbhag 4-5 saalon baad kisi ne mere sar pe aise maalish ki hai.”

“Kyun, Raman teri maalish nahi karta?” Toshi teased. “Nahi woh sar pe maalish thodi karta hoga, haina?”

Ishita choked on air. “Mummyji?!” she gasped, downright scandalized. Rinki sniggered.

“Arey zyada sharma mat Ishita, main to bas teri taang kheech rahi thi. Waise Raman se yaad aaya, woh khote da khur hai kidhar? Kab tak aayega?”

“Unko shaayad 10-10:30 baj jaayenge.” 

“Baap re. Woh kab aayega, kab khana khaayega, kab soyega… aise to uski tabiyat bigad jaayegi.”

“I know mummyji, but he is adamant to speed up work on that contract they got in August. He wants to finish it in a few weeks max. Aur woh weekend pe office nahi jaana chahte isiliye aaj week ke end mein saara kaam khatam kar ke aa rahe hai.”

“Fair enough. But make sure he eats something. Kabhi kabhi woh kaam mein itna kho jaata hai ki khud ka khayaal hi nahi rakhta.”

“Don’t worry mummyji, I’ll take care of him.”

Toshi smiled. She had no doubt that she would.

10:20 pm 

“Chalo, main sone jaa rahi hoon.”

Rinki gave her niece a quick kiss and tight hug before unraveling herself from the couch and heading for her room. Toshi had long turned in after making Ishita’s hair. As Rinki left the room, Ishita picked up her daughter in her lap. 

“Abhi to sone chalogi na madam?” she asked.

“Mujhe… papa se… milna hai…” Ruhi whispered, stifling multiple yawns.

Ishita sighed. She and Raman had both been diligent about cutting back on work to make sure they both spent enough time with Ruhi every day before she went to bed. But there were rare days like this when life worked against them. Sometimes Ishita was stuck at the clinic in a rare emergency surgery. Sometimes Raman was stuck at his office dealing with a client or working to meet a deadline. Today would probably prove to be a day like that.

“Papa aa rahe hai baby. Bas raaste mein hi hai. Aap andar chalke change karo, brush karo, aur bedtime story suno, tab tak papa aa jaayenge.”

With much difficulty, Ishita coaxed Ruhi into bed and began narrating the story of the fox and the grapes. Despite her best efforts to stay awake and listen to the full story, Ruhi quickly drifted to sleep. 

After a quick kiss on her daughter’s forehead, Ishita turned off the lamp and left the room. She strolled out to the balcony of their living room waiting for Raman’s car to pull in. She knew in her bones that he was doing his best to balance his work and family time, but she couldn’t rid her heart of the pinch that she felt watching her daughter go to sleep still waiting for her father. She knew her husband would blame himself a thousand fold more. The guilt of a working parent was something they would both battle throughout their parenthood.

Her phone chimed from the living room shelf. 

Raman: Leaving now. Should be at home in 15-20 minutes.

She picked up her phone and typed out a reply.

Ishita: Okay. I’ll warm up your dinner. Come soon.

Raman: Is everyone else asleep? 

Ishita: Yes. Everyone besides Romi. He is at a friend’s house for the weekend.

Raman: Yeah, he told me this afternoon. 

After a moment’s delay, another message came through.

Raman: Ruhi’s asleep too?

Ishita bit her lower lip, hesitantly typing her reply.

Ishita: Yes, she just fell asleep, barely a few minutes ago. She tried her best to stay awake, but couldn’t.

Raman: Damn. I tried my best to finish work early, but I had to reformat a presentation last minute. 

Ishita: Don’t worry about it. You can make it up to her over the weekend. 😊

Raman: I bet she’d love that. 

Ishita: All right, you should get driving now. I’ll see you at home.

Raman: Suresh is driving, and I’m in the passenger seat. We can still text.

Ishita: Doesn’t Suresh need to go home? Why do you make him work so late?

Raman: First off, Suresh works until 11 pm on Friday nights. He’s not doing anything out of what is outlined in his job duties. Second off, I’m not some tyrant that makes my employees work 24/7. Even my office employees that choose to work late get compensated.

Ishita curled up on the armchair with her knees pressed to her chest and her fingers working over her phone.

Ishita: Wow, look at you, getting all defensive.

Raman: Didn’t want you to get the wrong impression about me.

A million butterflies went loose in Ishita’s belly.

Raman: Besides, pretty much everything needs to be spelled out for your tiny brain.

Ishita: I guess that’s true. Especially when it comes to you. 

Raman: What does that mean?

Ishita: It means that my “tiny” brain doesn’t bother with understanding the confusing things you do.

Raman: What “confusing” thing did I do?

Ishita hesitated. Then typed at breakneck speed.

Raman, you pretend to be aloof and closed off, but care for me in a way no one -- literally no one -- ever has. I have never depended on anyone like I do on you, which is both scary and liberating at the same time, a feeling that I cannot comprehend. You read my mind, the deepest emotions of my heart and do things for me before I can even voice out what I need. But your words are always out to tease me and pull my leg. You’re the literal embodiment of the saying, “actions speak louder than words.” You’re an enigma. You make me laugh and smile the most and somehow vex and annoy me just as much. I have no idea what to make of you, of me, or of our relationship. What does this all mean?

Ishita’s heart pounded as she poured her feelings into the text bubble. She read and reread it, but didn’t press send.

Raman: What happened, Madrasan? Where’d you go?

Ishita took a deep breath. And erased the message. 

Ishita: Nothing, I was just messing with you. Gotcha. 😂

Raman: Very funny, Jhansi ki Rani.

Ishita. All right. I’m gonna warm up some food for you, so I’m putting the phone away. I’ll see you soon, Ravan Kumar.

Raman: Okay, bye. 👋🏼

Bhalla House - 11 pm

Raman creaked open the front door and tiptoed in trying his best not to make too much noise. Although few and far between, days like these, where he didn’t have the fortune to spend time with his family before going to bed, especially his daughter, were the worst. Once upon a time, these were the norm: the quiet of his home, the isolation from his family. Now, he dreaded days where he didn’t hear the chatter of his mother, the advice of his father, the hustle-bustle of his siblings, the laughter of his daughter. But even on such silent days, there was always a silver lining. 

“Raman, aa gaye aap?” Ishita’s voice sounded from the kitchen. “Aap fresh ho jaayiye, tab tak main aapke liye khaana lagaati hoon.”

There it was. The silver lining. The light of his life, even in his darkest times. Before the weight of his feelings caught up to him, he cleared his throat and headed inside, with a slight nod to his wife.

When he returned in his night clothes, Ishita had laid out his dinner on the table: palak paneer, freshly made parathas, and jeera rice.

“Arey waah!” Raman pulled a chair and sat down. “Palak paneer! Kya baat hai!”

“Aapko pasand hai na?” Ishita sat in the chair next to him and set a plate in front of him.

“Agar sahi tareeke se banaa ho tabhi pasand hai,” Raman quipped, as he filled his plate. “Tumne banaya hai?” he asked tentatively.

“Jee haan.” Ishita narrowed her eyes at him. “Aur bahot acche se bana hai. Sab ne khaana khaate waqt bahot taareef ki thi.” 

“Woh to chakh kar hi pata chalega,” Raman replied. “Tumne khaana kha liya?” 

“Haan, shaam ko hi kha liya sab ke saath.” 

“Thoda sa logi? Mujhe company dene ke liye hi sahi?”

“Nahi Raman, raat ko itni late khaana khaungi to phir waqt pe neend nahi aayegi. Aap khayiye na, main baithti hoon aapke saath.”

“Fair enough,” Raman said. And he dug in.

Famished as he was, it took a good five minutes, before he actually engaged in any real conversation again. For all his taunts and jokes, his wife made the best palak paneer. It was turning into his all-time favorite food.

“So, kaisa raha tumhara din?” Raman prompted.

“Bas waise hi jaise har din guzarta hai.” Ishita went on to detail every surgery and appointment of hers, including one particularly difficult parent who ranted about the benefits of not having your children vaccinated, earning an eye-roll from her husband. She laughed about the Bhalla girls’ hair salon session in the evening, reflecting on Rinki and Toshi’s conversation about working women.

“I never knew that Maa wanted to be a beautician.” Raman pondered on how little he knew of his parents when it came to their desires and aspirations. Especially his mother. “Does that really mean she sacrificed-” 

“No Raman, from what I gathered, I don’t think she sacrificed anything. Or even compromised on her dreams for that matter. Her dream was always to be a housewife and homemaker. She just said that it was her hobby once upon a time. And sometimes, still is,” Ishita explained. “She made that choice, Raman. By herself.”

“As long as she was happy with it.”

“Have you ever felt like she wasn’t?”

“Not really, but still…” He couldn’t erase the thought that he could’ve done more for his mother. Should’ve done more.

“Aapka din kaisa raha? Itni late aaye to kuch productive to kiya hi hoga?” Ishita asked, hoping to change the subject.

“Nahi nahi, hum to aadhi raat tak movies dekh rahe the, cricket khel rahe the,” Raman answered, with a heap of sarcasm.

“Very funny,” Ishita giggled. “No, but seriously, how was your day?”

“Could’ve been better,” Raman sighed, in between spoonfuls of rice and palak paneer. “We’ve been smooth sailing with this contract since last week, but now the client wants to redesign the marketing strategy behind it, which means extra hours for the marketing team, even though they’ve already worked really hard on it. Thankfully, everyone on the team is cooperating well, but the client has to understand our limits too.”

“Was their demand that unreasonable?” Ishita asked.

“Their ideas are actually pretty good. They just happen to reveal them very late, which messes up our entire schedule.” Raman ate the last of his rice and curry and gulped half a glass of water.

“Are you sure you want to continue business with them after this if they’re so hard to work with? You’ve complained about them quite a bit,” Ishita inquired.

“No clue yet. It depends on how this order goes. And on how big the profit is…”

While Ishita cleared the table, Raman stood up to wash his hands. He wiped his hands and face with a napkin and sank onto the couch, exhaling roughly. 

“Aap yahan kyun baith gaye? Sona nahi hai?” Ishita asked from the kitchen.

“Abhi to khaana khaaya. Thodi der ke baad sota hoon. Come, join me for a few minutes.” He patted the empty spot beside him. 

“I hate that I couldn’t meet Ruhi today,” he said once Ishita had sat down. “Was she quite upset?”

“No Raman, not at all. She understands that sometimes her parents have to work late. Besides, you were working late today to make sure you don’t have to go to work on the weekend, right?”

“Hmmm…” 

Ishita twisted in her seat to face her husband. Something was going on in his head. More than simple working parent guilt. She gently placed her palm on his shoulder which grabbed his attention. Raman gently turned his head to look at his wife.

“Raman, what’s going on? You’ve worked late before but never felt this bad about it.”

Raman took a deep, shaky breath and exhaled.

“I talked with Pathak today. He found out that Adi’s school is closed for Christmas break. Naturally we tried to find a way to meet him. You know, gaps and kinks in Shagun and Ashok’s schedule. Legal routes for me to meet my son without their interference. But we found out from the business circle that Shagun and Ashok have already left with Adi on some vacation. The Maldives I believe. And they’re coming back right when his school starts. He might not even come back to Delhi before his semester starts. Looks like we’ll have to try again next year, in January.”

“I’m sorry Raman. I know how hard you’ve been trying for this. But don’t feel guilty about it. You’ve been trying your best.”

“It’s not that. It’s just… well… I’ve been spending so much time and energy on Adi, I just hope… I hope Ruhi doesn’t feel neglected. Plus I’ve been working late on top of it all…,” he murmured.

Immediately as he finished talking, Raman lost the sensation of his wife’s touch from his shoulder, regretting his confession. What would she be thinking?

Before he could realize what was happening, Ishita’s hands cupped his face and turned his face towards him.

“Raman, look at me. You have nothing -- nothing -- to feel guilty about. You are going above and beyond as a father to both your kids. You are just as involved in Ruhi’s life as I am, if not more. You are making your best efforts to reconnect with Adi, despite all the hurdles in your way. You are not neglecting anyone. And besides, you’re one person. One human. You can’t get to everyone and everything at all times. That’s what we’re all here for. Okay? You’re allowed to lean on us.”

“Okay,” Raman whispered.

As Ishita’s words trickled into his heart, abating his guilt, her fingers on his cheeks burned into his skin, sending tingles down his body, a paradox he would never understand. How she could put him at peace while making his heart pound was beyond him. It was all he could do to not lean forward and close the distance between them. Those were uncharted waters. But he couldn’t help testing said waters. Maybe a dip of the toe?

Ishita saw the guilt dissipate from his eyes to be replaced with something entirely different. Suddenly conscious of her gesture, she lowered her hands, averting her eyes and fidgeting with the end of her kurti.

"By the way, I've been meaning to ask," Raman said, "what were you typing today when we were texting? About me being confusing?"

"I told you, it was nothing," Ishita replied, with averted eyes. "I was just messing with you. I got distracted so I put my phone away for a couple minutes." It was embarrassing enough to think about how she word-vomited into a text bubble. She'd rather not let her husband know of it or she'd never live it down.

“You do realize I can see on my side when you’re typing? Those three dots that pop up? You were typing for a very long time. Now spill.” Raman moved his leg to nudge her knee.

Ishita caught her tongue between her teeth at her folly. Think Ishita, think.

“And how do you know I was typing for that long? You had your eyes glued to the screen or what?” she smirked. “Seems excessive to me.”

Damn this madrasan. “What else can you expect from a guy when a woman like you is on the other end?”

“Care to elaborate?”

“Well-”

“No wait, stop. I’m not in the mood for another stale joke of yours. I’m going to bed.”

Raman smiled at Ishita’s retreating figure. He loved this push and pull with his wife. 

Vandu and Bala’s House - ten days later, New Year’s Day, Jan 1st, 8:30 am

“Happy New Year Akka! Happy New Year Jeeju!” 

Ishita and Mihika’s bright and smiling faces greeted Vandu and Bala as they opened their front door. Vandu opened her arms and gave her sisters a tight hug. Closely behind them, Madhu and Vishwa followed. Vandu and Bala greeted their parents and ushered the family in.

“Come in, come in, Ishu. Aao Mihika. Amma-Appa, baithiye,” Bala welcomed his in-laws.

“Jeeju, aise sab formality ki koi zaroorat nahi hai. It’s just us,” Mihika insisted, as they all got comfortable on the couch. 

“That’s my question. Why is it just you guys?" Vandu asked, as she served glasses of water to her parents. "Humne to Bhalla family ko bhi New Years celebrate karne ke liye invite kiya tha right?” Vandu asked, as she served glasses of water to her parents.

“Aiyyo Vandu, tum to in Punjabis ko jaanti hi ho. Sab log kal raat ko drink kar rahe the late night tak 31st ko celebrate karne ke liye. Murugan, murugan,” Madhu replied, barely masking her disgust.

“Haan Akka, jab main nikli to pura ghar so raha tha,” Ishita added. “Woh sab to 12 baje se pehle nahi aayenge. Seedha lunch ke liye aayenge. Ruhi bhi Raman ke saath hi aayegi. Usko jagaane ki koshish ki thi, par holiday ke din usko jagaana itna mushkil hai ki kya bataaye.”

“Oh my god, mere liye bhi yahin muskhil hai. Shravu bhi abhi tak so raha hai,” Vandu replied. “Subah se kitni baar jagaa chuki hoon, but to no avail. Waise aap logon ne abhi tak breakfast nahi kiya hoga, right? Abhi coffee aur upma ho jaaye? Phir lunch milkar prepare karte hain.”

“Sounds like a great idea, Akka,” Ishita agreed.

The ladies retreated to the kitchen to make coffee and upma, discussing the latest in their lives, although both the aunts and grandmother of the baby focused on Vandu’s pregnancy. Meanwhile, Bala and Vishwa talked in the living room, particularly about Bala’s plans to begin extra tuition classes apart from his day job to earn extra money before the baby came. Once they ran out of topics of conversation, they began working on decorating the house for the New Year’s celebration in the afternoon. Vandu had initially suggested a small family get-together for lunch on New Year’s day to welcome the new year and the new joys it brought, such as her pregnancy, Mihika’s engagement and pending nuptials, and much more. But her husband, being the overachiever that he was, brought balloons and streamers and banners to decorate their house for the occasion. After all, it was their first new year as part of the huge Bhalla-Iyer clan.

Four hours later - 12:30 pm

“Look who finally decided to show up.” Mihika planted her hands on her hips as she disapprovingly glowered at the last two members of the family to walk in. “Sharam karo, sharam karo. Sab log aa gaye. Lunch bhi shuru ho gaya. Aur tum log abhi aa rahe ho.”

“Shhh.” Romi covered his ears as his eyes squinted in pain. “Dheere bol, dheere bol. Ek to hangover ne sar ki band baja rakhi hai aur upar se tum… Mihir, bol apni girlfriend ko.”

“That’s fianceé, not girlfriend,” Mihir corrected from beside him. “Aur waise bhi, kal apne doston ke saath beer pong khelne ki kya zaroorat thi? Maine aur bhai ne dono ne manaa kiya tha.”

“Whatever,” Romi growled. “I’m going to get some food.”

As Romi walked into the kitchen, he almost ran into Ishita owing to his groggy state and pounding headache. 

“Careful Romi!” she cried, stumbling back. “Kahan dhyaan hai tumhara?”

“Sorry bhabhi… Mera sar… phata jaa raha hai…” he stammered.

“Hangover?” Ishita guessed.

Romi meekly nodded.

“Ohhh I see… Do one thing, just get your plate and fill it up. Meanwhile, I’ll whip up a hangover cure I know of.”

“Sure bhabhi, I’ll take anything at this point.”

As Romi filled his plate, Ishita retrieved a few veggies from the fridge and spun them in a blender. In about five minutes, she presented a glass of greenish pink sludge to her brother-in-law. 

“Yeh kya hai bhabhi?”

“Beets, kale, aur spinach ka juice. It’s a DIY hangover cure that many of my college friends used to use. Try it.”

“Are you sure bhabhi?” Romi tentatively held the glass and examined it.

“100%. Drink up. And make sure to eat plenty of carbs and stay hydrated. You should feel better in a few hours.”

While Romi took slow, hesitant gulps from his glass of sludge, the rest of the Bhalla-Iyer family indulged in lunch in the living and dining rooms. On Ruhi's insistence, today's menu had been finalized to be the Indo-Chinese fusion cuisine. Dishes ranged from vegetarian versions of manchow soup and dumplings to Hakka noodles and cauliflower manchurian. Both families intermingled in the house reveling in the joy of the new year.

“Yaar Bala,” Raman approached his brother-in-law, balancing his plate in his hands. “Naye saal ka swaagat aise rookhe-sookhe? Kam se kam champagne to hona chahiye na?”

“Raman, actually maine apne room mein stock rakha hai. Lekin mujhe Amma ka dar hai.”

“Amma ka? I thought you’d say Vandu ka dar hai,” Raman chuckled.

“Oh Vandu is fine with it. Hold on.” Bala craned his neck to see his wife and mother-in-law deep in conversation at the dining table. “Lagta hai Amma nahi dekh rahi. Andar chalo chup-chap. Aur Romi aur Mihir ko bhi bula lo.”

Bala creeped into his bedroom followed by Raman and his brothers. He set his plate on a table, opened a bottle of wine, and began pouring glass after glass. Raman and Mihir set their plates down and took a glass for themselves, but Romi ardently refused. 

“No. Not at all. Nope.” Romi’s face went white. “Even the smell of alcohol makes me want to puke. I am never drinking again.”

Laughs erupted all around him. 

“Shhh… Stop with the noise,” he pleaded. “My head is pounding.”

“To kisne bola tha itna peene ko?” Raman scolded. “I warned you a million times.”

“Abhi daanto mat na bhai.”

“Do you want some medicine, Romi?” Bala asked.

“I took two Advils before coming here. I’m just waiting for them to kick in,” Romi replied. “Besides, I’m working on this DIY cure that Ishita bhabhi gave me. Some sludge of beets and kale and spinach.”

Once Bala had poured himself a glass of wine as well, he addressed the group. 

“Let’s raise our glasses everyone, to the joys of the new year!” Bala exclaimed. Mihir and Raman raised their wine glasses. Romi raised his sludge glass.

“To Vandu’s healthy pregnancy and a healthy and happy baby!” Raman cheered.

“To successful contracts, happy clients, and a prosperous office!” Mihir added.

“To the pending nuptials of our very own Mihir and Mihika!” Bala joined. “And to the health and happiness of both Iyers and Bhallas!

Khanna Mansion - five days later, Monday, 6th January, 7:30 am

“Ready to go, Adi?” Shagun tugged on Adi’s tie and adjusted the lapels of his school uniform shirt. “Do you have all your new books? And your stationary? And that new compass box we bought from the Maldives?”

“Mom, don’t worry. I’ve got everything,” Adi assured her. 

Shagun continued to fuss over her son for a few more minutes, occasionally straightening his uniform, occasionally running a comb through his already combed hair. Unlike most of her mornings, she woke up early today on two counts: a vacation hangover from their latest winter trip to the Maldives, and her son’s first day of school in Delhi. They had just landed back in Delhi last night and mentally, she was still on the beaches of Maldives. 

“Mom, couldn’t we have come back a couple days earlier?” Adi asked. “I feel like I had no time to prepare for this new school.”

“I know baby, but tum to jaante hi ho na, we couldn’t find first class tickets back for any day before yesterday. And Ashok and I hate traveling in economy class.” 

“I understand mom.”

Shagun smiled at her successful diversion of the topic. It was true that they couldn’t get their preferred first class tickets until yesterday. It was also true that staying out of the country until the day school started served the purpose of keeping Adi away from the Bhallas. A pure coincidence, of course. 

A series of honks sounded from outside their bungalow. 

“Chalo Adi, the school bus is here!” Shagun exclaimed, hustling her son out the front door. “And remember, school ke baad waapis aakar khaana kha lena. Aur phir tumhaare extra tuitions hai, to driver tumhe le jaayega.”

“Okay mom.”

“Did you get your lunch? And your water bottle?”

“Mom, I’ve got everything! Don’t worry.” 

Adi climbed into the bus and took a seat by the window. As the bus started and took off, Adi leaned out the window and waved goodbye to his mother. The bus rounded the corner of their street and his mother disappeared from view. Adi settled in his seat and took a deep breath. This was the beginning of a new innings. New school, new friends, and a new life. ………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Vidya Shakti Public School - 5th Class - Division A, 11:40 am

The clanging of the school bell signaled the end of Adi’s monotonous Science class. He understood the introductory material well, but god forbid the teacher add some engaging elements to his lecture. The noise level rose to another decibel as students began putting away their books and headed -- or in some cases, ran -- to the cafeteria for lunch. Adi retrieved his lunch box and followed the crowd to the massive cafeteria. 

The sight that greeted him caused beads of sweat to appear on his forehead. Every table seemed occupied with groups of kids eating and chatting. Hundreds of voices sounded around him and for the first time since arriving in Delhi, Adi felt anxious and overwhelmed. It finally sunk in that he was in a completely new city with a new school, but with no friends. All alone.

“Hey, you’re Aditya right? The new kid?” 

Adi turned around to see who had spoken to him. Two boys stood in front of him, a tall, scrawny kid with straight black hair and wheat-colored skin, and another shorter, larger kid with curly brown hair and pale skin covered in freckles. He recognized them from his class, from two desks behind him.

“Yeah, that’s me. But you can call me Adi.”

“I’m Hardik,” the scrawny kid said. “This is Ayush.” He stuck out his thumb towards his freckled friend. “Do you want to join us for lunch? We usually sit in that corner.” He pointed to the southwest corner of the cafeteria. 

“Yes, I’d love to.” Adi subtly exhaled a ragged breath, trying his best to hide just how grateful he was to have been approached by someone. So he wouldn’t have to sit alone.

Once they were seated and had begun eating, Hardik and Ayush introduced themselves to Adi who in turn gave them his background. 

“Wow, so you used to live in a hostel?” Ayush asked. “That’s so cool. What was it like?”

“It was fun actually. We all lived together so we were really close friends,” Adi replied.

“So then why did you move to Delhi?” Hardik asked.

“Mom wanted me to be closer to her, so she called me home. Anyways, enough about me.” Adi desperately tried to steer the conversation away from any mentions of his father. “What do you guys do in your free time?”

“I like drawing. I am the topper in the art class.” Ayush tugged his collar and smirked, earning a laugh from the other boys. 

“We also play football,” Hardik supplied. “We have practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and matches on weekends.”

Adi’s ears perked up and eyes sparkled. “Dude, I love football! Can I join your guys’ team?!”

“Really?! Then of course you should join! In fact, we have tryouts for new students this week only, right Ayush?”

“Yeah, wait, I have the pamphlet somewhere here…” Ayush fished around his backpack and took out a crumpled up purple paper. He straightened it and laid it out on the table in front of Adi. “Tryouts are this week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3 to 5 pm. The address is at the bottom,” Ayush explained.

“Can I take this home with me? I’ll show my mom and get her permission so I can come try for the team,” Adi asked. 

“Yeah sure.” Ayush handed Adi the pamphlet, who carefully folded it and slipped it into his backpack. 

“I’ll try to come on Tuesday or Thursday. I have extra tuition on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday,” Adi explained.

“Where are you going for tuition?” Hardik asked.

“It’s somewhere in Delhi Arts College. Some professors are offering tuition classes in the evening for primary students.”

“Dude! I’m going there too!” Hardik exclaimed. “I go for tuitions on Wednesday and Friday though. English on Wednesday and Science on Friday. Are you taking the same subjects?”

“Yeah, I am. And Math on Monday.”

“Let’s sit together in English and Science tuitions. I only started going there last month…”

The rest of the lunch period passed merrily as Adi and his new friends chattered and got to know each other. As students began to leave for class and the cafeteria emptied, Adi and his friends headed to class as well. 

“Yaar, kuch log itni zor zor se baatein kyun karte hai?” Ayush pressed his palms to his ears when they passed a particularly loud group of kids. 

“Come on man, they look like first and second graders. These kids have no concept of a volume dial,” Hardik remarked.

Adi gave a passing glance to the table of the loud group and walked on. He could never have known that his very own sister Ruhi and cousin Shravu sat at the center of the table.

Delhi Arts College, Room 108 - two days later, Wednesday, 8th Jan, 4 pm

“Vandu, can you look around at home? Did I forget my pointer there?” Bala pressed his phone to his ear with his shoulder, as he shuffled in his bag looking for his laser pointer.

“I don’t see it in our room, Bala,” Vandu said from the other side on the phone.

“Oh wait! I found it!” Bala retrieved his pointer from the bottom of his bag. “It was beneath my laptop.”

“Bala, are you sure you will be able to handle this? You already have two full-time jobs,” Vandu asked.

“Two jobs?” Bala’s brows furrowed in confusion.

“Yeah, college professor and father. Shravu is as much work as a full-time job, isn’t he?”

“Fair enough,” Bala chuckled. He sat down in his chair at the front of the classroom and leaned back. “By that logic, you have three full-time jobs, Vandu.”

“Okay wait, I know I have two jobs: college principal and mother. What’s the third job?”

“You’re pregnant Vandu. And handling a pregnancy is as difficult as a job, isn’t it?”

“But still Bala-”

“Vandu,” Bala spoke sternly. “I am giving English lessons to primary students for one hour in the evening. It is not too much work at all. You know I love working with younger students too. And this program is organized by the university. The pay is really good which means we can put aside money for when the baby comes. That way you have the freedom of taking a longer maternity leave for your delivery. You can even take some time off if you want.”

“Bala…” Vandu was speechless. “Ek baat bolu?”

“Bolo…”

“You are the best husband I could have asked for.”

“Thank you Vandu. Waise, you are also the best wife I could have asked for. Abhi phone rakho. Mere students aate hi honge.”

“Okay bye.”

“Bye wife.”

Bala set his phone on silent and slid it into his bag. He rechecked his books, materials, and lesson plan for today’s class. Being a college professor, he rarely had the chance to interact with primary students. He loved working with college level students, but teaching younger children had a level of satisfaction of its own. Fortunately the opportunity presented itself last week when he was looking for extra work to put aside money for their new baby on the way. He’d found out about an initiative from the Teaching Department to provide tuition classes to primary students at the college after hours. So now he taught English lessons to students from 3rd to 7th grade on weekdays from 4 to 5 pm. Monday for 3rd grade, Tuesday for 4th grade, and so on. 

As students started filing in and taking their seats, Bala stood up and welcomed them. He took down their names as he came in, checking his roster. Once everyone was seated, he checked his roster one last time. One student was missing, by the name of Aditya. 

‘That’s strange,’ he thought. ‘No last or middle name. Just Aditya.’ 

But the clock ticked, so he began the lesson by introducing himself and handing out grammar worksheets. 

Fifteen minutes later

“May I come in, sir?!”

Bala turned his head from the board and saw a boy panting at the entrance of the classroom. 

“Are you Aditya?” he asked. 

“Yes sir.”

“Why are you late, Aditya?”

“Sir, my driver got lost finding this building. Then I got lost finding this classroom. I’m new in this city sir.”

“Okay, that’s fine beta. Our buildings can be a bit confusing,” Bala chuckled, putting the boy at ease. “Go ahead and sit down. Looks like you have a friend who’s calling you.” Bala pointed at Hardik who was waving furiously at Aditya.

Bala passed a worksheet to his new student and continued the lesson. His students diligently followed along. 

“Good work everyone!” Bala congratulated his students at the end of the lesson. “Just hand in your worksheets at the front here on your way out.”

The students filed out one by one thanking their teacher and handing in their worksheets. Once the students had left, Bala took a seat at the teacher’s desk and shuffled through the worksheets to make sure everyone had handed them in. As he checked each student’s worksheet with the roster given, his fingers stilled on one particular sheet at the end of the pile, his eyes widening out of his skull.

The slot for the name read: Aditya Raman Bhalla.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 37

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Clinic - the next day, Thursday, 11 am

"Sarika, Mrs. Sarvankar hasn't shown up with her daughter for her dental cleaning for a second time. Can you call and find out if she's coming or not? If she doesn't reply, then send a letter of inquiry to her house," Ishita instructed the medical receptionist. 

"Yes ma'am. Of course."

"Thanks Sarika. Make sure it's on the official clinic letterhead, okay? And bring it to me to sign off on it before you send it."

"Okay ma'am. I'll have it ready by the end of the day."

"Perfect, thank you."

Ishita walked back to her office and sat down in her chair. She rotated her computer screen to eliminate the glare and reviewed her schedule for the day. With Mrs. Sarvankar's no-show and another cancellation at 11:30, she was free of appointments until noon. Her lunch break went from 12 to 12:30, which meant she had one and a half hours on her hand. 

Straightening her posture, Ishita opened a folder that Dr. Batra had shared with her two weeks ago. It contained four different dentistry research proposals that he had consolidated over the years. Now that he had enough staff to delegate his clinical responsibilities to, he wanted to prioritize his research aspirations. And he had asked Ishita to review his proposals and even work on one with him if she was interested. Ishita was always a clinician first, but exploring the up and coming research in her field could be just as interesting.

Twenty minutes later, she was almost halfway through the second proposal, when her phone vibrated on her desk.

Bala Jeeju: Hey Ishu, do you have a minute? I need to talk to you.

Ishita's spine snapped straight in attention. Was everything okay?

Ishita: What's wrong jeeju?

Bala: Can we talk in person? I am busy from 1-4 pm but I can adjust my schedule otherwise. We can meet at some coffee shop or I can come to your clinic too. Do you have any openings in your schedule today? 

Ishita: I'm free until 12:30 actually. Can you come to my clinic? I can't leave the premises while I'm on the clock. There is a small cafe in the medical complex. We can talk there.

Bala: Okay, I'll be there in about 20 minutes. 

Ishita: Jeeju, is everything okay? Should I be worried? Are Vandu akka and Shravu okay?

Bala: Vandu and Shravu are completely fine, Ishu. Nothing to be worried about. We'll talk in a bit, okay?

Ishita: Okay. Text me once you're here.

Bala: Ok 👍🏼

.....................................................................................................................

Batra Medical Center Cafe - 11:40 am

"Jeeju, you're freaking me out now. Please bolo na asli kya baat hai?" Ishita implored.

They had been sitting in the cramped cafe on a tiny table for almost seven minutes, with Bala asking Ishita about her work, offering to buy her coffee and bagels, and telling her about how he miraculously fought almost zero traffic in the way. Basically saying everything other than the real reason why he had asked Ishita to be here. Finally, Ishita lost her patience and pretty much demanded to know the real reason behind his visit.

"Ishu... Listen, I didn't know who other than you to go to with this... I thought... but then... I mean, I couldn't even tell Vandu..."

"JEEJU!" Ishita nearly shrieked from anticipation. "Mera blood pressure badh raha hai. Jo bhi hai, seedhe seedhe bata dijiye."

"Ishu, I met Adi yesterday."

Ishita blinked.

"Ishu?" Bala shook her arm. 

"Aap Adi se mile?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Aditya Bhalla se?"

"Yes."

"Raman ke bete, Aditya bhalla se?"

"YES!"

"Kaise? Kahan?"

Bala narrated the events from last night's English tuition class. By the time he had finished, Ishita's dumbfounded stare had turned into a pensive expression as she tried to unravel Bala's story. 

"Toh agar Adi aapke class ka student hain, to iska matlab woh isi sheher ke kisi school mein enrolled hain. Lekin woh to Dehradun mein tha na? Toh Delhi kab aaya? Aur agar aaya to phir humein kaise nahi pata? Raman ko kaise nahin pata?" she wondered.

"I don't know Ishu. Shagun ne tum logon ko kuch nahin kahan?" Bala asked.

"No jeeju. But that's not surprising. She's been very difficult from the beginning. I mean, she doesn't even want Adi to have a relationship with his father. Unke liye Adi unka beta kam, shatranj ka khiladi zyada hai."

"I didn't know what to do, Ishu. I mean, first I thought maybe I should tell Raman, but I wasn't sure how to... I was so worried about this last night, even Vandu noticed it. I didn't tell her anything obviously... I didn't want her stressing about anything more than she already is-"

"No Jeeju, aapne sahi kiya. Aur jahan tak baat Raman ki hai, toh main unse aaj baat karungi. Aap bas ek kaam kijiye. Aap apne class ke through, ya teachers ke through agar pata laga sakte hai, ki Adi kaun se school mein enrolled hai, aur woh yaha kab aaya, then that would be of great help. Just so we can figure out how long he's been here."

"Okay Ishu. I'll find out what I can."

A few moments passed where neither of them spoke.

"Ishu, are you okay?" Bala asked tentatively.

Ishita shook her head. "I'm fine, jeeju. It's just... this is such huge news. Raman has been trying to meet his son for almost three months... and now we find out he's in this city! In your tuition classes no less!" Ishita's laugh held no humor.

"I meant, are you going to be okay with this, Ishu? Raman's son entering your life? I just hope this doesn't create problems for your family life, with Raman and Ruhi."

"Aisa kuch nahi hoga jeeju," Ishita assured him. "Aap ko pata hai, Adi ki kami sirf Raman nahi, pura Bhalla parivaar mehsoos karta hain. Koi jataata nahi, lekin kabhi kabhi choti choti baaton mein bhi uska zikr hota hai aur sabki aankhein nam ho jaati hain. Ruhi bhi apni bade bhai ko baat baat par miss karti hain. Agar Adi ghar aa gaya na, to humara parivaar pura ho jaayega."

"Ishu, tumhaari baat bilkul sach hai. You're completely right. Lekin tum apne baare mein bhi socho. Adi ke aane se kahin-"

"Jeeju," Ishita stopped Bala before he could finish his thought. "Mere aur mere parivaar walon ke beech ke rishte itne kamzor nahi hain ki ghar ke bete se aane se woh tut jaaye. Aap meri chinta mat kijiye." She reassured Bala with a soft smile.

Bala let out a breath of relief. He still couldn't get rid of the gnawing suspicion that this was the calm before the storm... a storm brewing in Ishita's life. But he also had enough faith in their family to know she wouldn't be alone.

.....................................................................................................................

Bhalla House - Thursday, 9:30 pm

"Ruhi chuhi, get back here!" Raman's amusement was slowly transitioning into frustration as he ran around the house chasing his daughter for the nth time. "You cannot stay up any longer now! Brush your teeth and go to bed!"

"But mumma isn't here yet!" Ruhi cried. "I'm not going to bed without showing her my new drawing that I got an A+ on!"

Ruhi ran into her room and slammed the door shut. Raman stumbled at the door, panting, as he caught his breath and knocked on the door. "I'm coming in, Ru," he exclaimed, before opening the door. The door creaked open and he found his daughter curled up in her chair with her head on the desk, her drawing clutched in her hand. 

"Ru, aaj kya ho gaya hai aapko? Itni zid kyun kar rahe ho aap?" Raman asked. "Mumma ko aane mein der hogi, bola na maine?" He kneeled down by her chair and rubbed Ruhi's back.

"No! I want Ishimaa right now!" she screamed and kicked.

"Okay Ruhi, that's enough." Raman picked her up and made her stand and face him. "You need to use your words and tell papa what the problem is. Why have you been behaving like this tonight?"

Ruhi stood mute, averting her eyes, as tears began tumbling down her cheeks. Her grip on her drawing loosened, allowing Raman to take a peek. He straightened the crumpled piece of paper; what he saw on caused his breath to catch in his throat. 

Ruhi had drawn four figures, labeled as 'mumma,' 'papa,' 'Ruhi,' and 'bhaiya.' They stood against a small house with birds chirping in the sky and a small pond nearby. At the top of the paper, the drawing was labeled, "RUHI'S FAMILY."

"Yeh kya hai Ruhi?" Raman asked. 

"It was our assignment in Art class today. We had to draw our happy family," she answered sheepishly.

"Toh aapne papa ko yeh dikhaya kyun nahi?"

"Maine Adi bhaiya ko bhi include kiya na, aur jab bhi unki baat hoti hai to aap sad ho jaate ho. Ghar mein sab sad ho jaate hain. Isiliye main aapko nahi dikhana chahti thi. Main sirf mumma ko batana chahti thi."

"Ruhi," Raman placed the drawing aside and cupped his daughter's cheeks to look her in the eyes. "I'm touched ki aap ne papa ki feelings ke baare mein itna socha. Lekin aap papa ko kuch bhi bata sakti ho, okay? Never feel like you have to hide something from me just to spare my feelings, baccha. Tell me, did anything else happen at school?"

Ruhi nodded. "The teacher gave me an A+, but no one in my class believes that I have a bhaiya. They think I'm lying," she sobbed.

"Oh beta..." Raman hugged his daughter tight. "I'll talk to your teacher. I'll make sure to get all those kids punished, okay? How dare they make my daughter cry?!" He pulled back to wipe Ruhi's tears. 

"I don't care about those kids, dad!" she cried and ran to her bed. "I just want my brother! Everyone in my class brags about their brothers and sisters! I want my bhaiya too!"

Raman stood up and took a deep breath, in through his nose, out through his mouth. He had no idea what to say. When did his daughter get so perceptive? When did she start picking up on the deepest of his emotions? She really was her mother's daughter, Raman thought. He joined her on the bed and held her close. 

"Ruhi, I know you want your brother. I want Adi bhaiya to stay here with us too. But that will take some time." He shifted his position so he could face her. "But you trust papa, right?"

Ruhi nodded.

"Then I promise you, papa will bring Adi bhaya back home. Just give me some time, okay?"

"Okay papa," Ruhi sniffled. 

"Now go brush your teeth and wash your face, or else Ishimaa will be mad at me. She'll think I'm making you cry all the time. Now give me a smile." 

Ruhi smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"Give me a real smile, betu," Raman implored. "Don't make me tickle you..." Raman wiggled his fingers and crept closer to her belly.

"No! No! I'm okay papa, I'm okay!" Ruhi laughed, as she ran off to the bathroom, leaving Raman breathing a sigh of relief.

Half hour later

"Are you sure, jeeju?" Ishita whispered into her phone, as she climbed the steps of her apartment complex.

"I'm not 100% sure, but this is what I've found out from the teachers at Vidya Shakti. I didn't press for more info, because I was only asking as Adi's tutor, not a relative."

"I get that jeeju, accha kiya aapne. Thanks again so much."

"Of course Ishu. You just talk to Raman and then let me know how it goes. Or if I can be of any help."

"I'll call you later jeeju, I just came home."

Ishita hung up the phone and tried to wrap her head around this situation. Adi was at Vidya Shakti Public School. He was going to the same school as Ruhi, he was in Bala's tuition class, and somehow, her and Raman did know. 

She turned her keys and opened the front door. The house was pretty quiet, which meant Ruhi was already asleep. Although she regretted not being able to say good night to her little girl, she was partially grateful that she could have this conversation with her husband in private. 

Speaking of whom, Raman appeared from their bedroom in his night clothes, freshly showered and shaved. How did he manage to look so crisp at the earliest hours of the morning, or at the latest hours of the night? It's like exhaustion or sleep couldn't do anything to his face.

"Aa gayi madrasan?" Raman asked, as Ishita dropped her purse on the table. "Khana laga du tere liye?"

"Nahi Raman," Ishita replied. Nothing would go down her throat after the news she had received today. She could barely keep her lunch from making a reappearance. "I'm not hungry. A patient brought some snacks and sweets earlier so I don't have any appetite for dinner."

"Wow, no wonder you can't fit into small size dresses," Raman teased. Ishita didn't so much as even flinch. She simply walked into their bedroom without hearing him.

"Ab kya hua ise? Phir se koi dimaagi attack to nahi aaya?" Raman muttered, as he followed her inside. "What's wrong Ishita? Meri baat ka bura lagaa kya? You know I was just kidding, I didn't mean-"

"We need to talk, Raman," Ishita cut him off. 

"Okay..." Raman closed the door to their bedroom and faced his wife. "What's wrong?"

"Today, I found out-" Ishita suddenly got distracted by something on their wardrobe. "What's that?" she asked. 

Raman turned around to see what she was pointing at. It was Ruhi's drawing that he had taped up on their wardrobe. He sighed and narrated the events of the evening. 

"Can you believe it, Ishita? She was scared of bringing it up because she didn't want to hurt my feelings." Raman gazed fondly at the drawing. "I told her never to worry about that and never to hide anything from me again. But still... She is so perceptive at such a young age. She gets that from you I suppose. She really is your daughter, you know? Anyway, I promised her that I'd bring her brother back. And I am never forgetting that promise. I'm bringing my son home, one way or another. That's why I taped this drawing up here. So that I never forget-"

Raman turned around and saw Ishita's watery eyes. She blinked and subtly wiped her brimming tears away, but of course he had noticed it. 

"What's wrong Madrasan?" he asked, all of the earlier humor gone from his voice.

"Adi's here."

"Excuse me?"

"Adi is in Delhi. He's a new student at Ruhi and Shravu's school, and he's a student in one of Bala's after-school English tuitions. Your son is in Delhi, Raman."

"Dekh Madrasan, if this is your idea of some twisted joke-"

"I'm not joking, Raman! You think this is something I would joke about? Bala jeeju came to my clinic this morning..."

Ishita went on to narrate her conversation with Bala from earlier that morning as well as what he had found out about Adi later in the day. Raman stumbled from the weight of the news and sat down on the bed to support himself. 

"He started school there on Monday, and he goes to Bala jeeju's English tuition on Wednesdays. He also has tuition on Mondays and Fridays too, for Math and Science I believe." Ishita finished and waited for Raman to react. 

"Oh my god..." he whispered. "Mera Adi... My son is in this city, Ishita? He is so close to me, and I never knew... I can't believe it..."

"I know Raman, I couldn't believe it either. The fact that neither Shagun nor Ashok would tell us... Even if just to gloat..."

"Where's my phone?!" Raman stood up and began fumbling with the sheets and pillows looking for his phone. "Aaj to Shagun ko itna sunaaunga ki-"

"No wait, Raman!" Ishita grabbed his hands and calmed him down. "She doesn't know that you know about Adi being here, right? This is the only advantage you have right now. If you want to meet your son, it has to be without her knowing. Otherwise she's just going to create difficulties for you."

Now that the shock of the news was seeping in, Raman's logical brain whirred to life and his gears started turning. He paced back and forth in the bedroom, mentally whipping up a plan. 

"You're right, you're right Madrasan. If I meet him in public places, where I was bound to be anyway, then Shagun can't claim that I met him behind her back. Like if I met him at Ruhi's school, or Bala's class. I could be going to pick up Ruhi and 'run into him.' Or I'm meeting Bala for a coffee and I 'run into him' then. Right? I wouldn't go with the intention of meeting Adi but if I run into him, then who can blame me, right?" he rambled on. "Just once... If I could just see him just once, see that he still wants me in his life, then I'll do anything... anything it takes to bring him back home." Even as a plan formed in the rational CEO, Ishita saw her husband's hidden insecurities seep through. Doubt over whether Adi still wanted his father in his life.

"Raman," Ishita stepped in front of him and took a hold of his shoulders to ground him in one place. "Adi still wants you in his life. I am sure of it."

"How can you be so sure, Ishita? You haven't even met him."

"Because Bala jeeju told me that he was registered by his first name only. Shagun registered him as Aditya, without the Bhalla name attached. But when he turned his assignment in at the end of the class, he wrote his name as Aditya Raman Bhalla. I have no idea what he must be feeling right now, but he links his identity to you, Raman. I know that on some subconscious level, he still considers you his father. And he yearns for you as his father."

Every last vestige of doubt in Raman's mind vanished at hearing Ishita's revelation. Nothing would stop him now. He was going to get his son back. 

"I'm bringing my son home, Ishita," he declared, tears brimming in his eyes.

"We're bringing our son home," she corrected, with a soft smile. 

Delhi Arts College, Common Room - Next week, Wednesday, Jan 15th, 4:30 pm

He was in there. Adi was in there. His own Adi was in that room. 

Raman paced back and forth in the common room waiting for Bala's tuition class to finish so he could "run into" his son. If anyone asked, he was here waiting to have a drink with his brother-in-law, but that was just semantics. He had spent a week in conversations (both hypothetical and otherwise) with Pathak, trying to figure out a loophole in the custody agreement so Raman could meet with Adi without Shagun's interference and not violate the law. Turns out, as long as Raman spoke with Adi in a public place where he could have been anyway for another purpose, then he couldn't get in any legal trouble. Him and Ishita had gone back and forth on the best way to get acquainted with Adi again, and it was eventually decided (after taking Bala into confidence) that he would make first contact at Bala's tuition class. Once Adi was comfortable enough with him, they could introduce Ruhi and Ishita, and slowly the rest of the family. No one from the rest of the family knew yet about Adi's return to the city, but they would all find out soon enough. 

Raman's eyes glanced to the wall clock every other minute, watching each second tick by. Anxiety, excitement, panic, and joy all sped through his veins as he waited and waited for his son to emerge from the classroom. It had been five years, six months, and 11 days, he thought. And his wait would finally be coming to an end. 

The clock struck five too quickly and too slowly, at the same time. Commotion inside classroom 108 on the other side of the hallway signaled the end of the class. Raman wiped his sweaty palms on his coat and tugged at the lapels of his coat which were suddenly too tight. Raman's eyes searched for his little boy, as kids filed out of the classroom one by one. Seconds passed, then minutes... and then he saw him. Adi walked out of the classroom, accompanied by a tall, scrawny kid who seemed to be in the middle of an angry rant. His son was so big, Raman marveled. Of course he knew he'd have grown since he last saw him, but it was hard to reconcile the ten year old boy his eyes saw as the same five year old kid his mind remembered from when he last saw him. He had gorgeous black hair, almost curly, just like he had when he was a kid. Most of his face resembled Shagun's but his eyes... His eyes were a carbon copy of his father's. Eyes that were a window into his soul. 

Raman's throat threatened to close up with a brick of tears, but he blinked his tears away and cleared his throat. "Adi! Aditya! Over here, beta!" he called out, waving his hand to get his son's attention.

Adi, who was in the middle of a conversation with his friend, looked around trying to find who was calling his name. His eyes stilled on his father and grew wide. He whispered something to his friend and gestured to him to leave, even as his eyes remained fixed on his father. The crowd thinned and Raman willed his iron legs to move. He took slow and steady steps towards his son and stopped in front of him, keeping a good distance to give him space but close enough that he could memorize every feature of his face and every milestone he had missed. 

"Hi beta."

Adi didn't respond. He stared at Raman with shock and disbelief, but soon enough, to Raman's horror, his expression changed. His eyes sent accusations raining on Raman, questions about where he had been, why he had abandoned his own son. Adi still hadn't said a word, but Raman unfortunately knew that expression very well. He had faced these eyes six months ago, when his daughter had asked the same questions. 

It's okay Raman. It took six months, but Ruhi and your relationship is stronger than ever today. The same will happen with Adi. 

Raman reassured himself and took a deep breath. This was it.

He was here. He wasn't dreaming. His father was here, standing in front of him.

Adi had just sent Hardik away, afraid to make a scene. He had been in town for a month now (including the two weeks he was in Maldives for vacation) and he had dreamed of this scenario a million times. He hated himself for it, but the truth of the matter was, he missed his dad. But once he had been in school for a week, gotten into after-school tuition classes, and made the football team with Ayush and Hardik, he had forced himself to get rid of those daydreams. His father wasn't coming, he had told himself. It was just him and his mother. 

But now, his father was walking towards him, and he couldn't believe it was real. He even pinched himself to make sure this wasn't a dream. Papa was here. He wasn't as young as he remembered. His hair was as jet black as ever but it was ever so slightly thinning from some places. He had a few new wrinkles around his eyes, and an unfamiliar melancholy in his expression. He wasn't the same happy, go-lucky father he had last seen.

"Hi beta."

No, Adi. He chose to leave you. He chose to get married again. He chose to separate you and your mother from your sister. 

Adi quickly got a hold of his shocked expression, channeling all his rage and hurt into his eyes. He refused to speak to his man, but he could still let him know, in no uncertain terms, where he stood with their relationship. But after a moment of hesitation, his father put on a smile and spoke to him again.

"Kaise ho beta? I don't know aapne mujhe pehchana ki nahin, but I'm your father-"

"I know who you are." Adi refused to hear this man call himself his father. He left his son. He was no father of his. 

Raman faltered again, but composed himself quickly. "I'm glad you remember me. I know beta, aapke dimaag mein abhi hazaar sawaal honge, aur main aapke har sawaal ka jawaab dene ke liye ready hun. Aap ko jo puchna hai aap puch sakte ho."

"Mujhe aapse koi baat nahi karni," he huffed. 

"I understand beta. Aap ko aaj baat nahi karni, to koi baat nahi. Hum kabhi aur baat karenge. Adi, just know this much. I love you with all my heart. I always have and I always will."

"I... I have to go... The car is waiting for me..." Adi stammered, unable to comprehend anymore of this situation.

"Wait Adi!" Raman caught his hand before he could make a quick getaway. "Keep my card with you." He removed his wallet and handed Adi his business card. "It has my phone number, email address, and other contact information if you ever want to get in touch. If you don't, that's fine too. I'll see you some other time."

Adi shoved the card into his front pocket and ran out the door, his heart pounding in his ears and blood pulsing in his head. 

Raman was left standing there in the common room, watching his son's figure disappear from his sight. As soon as he left, Raman lost his strength to remain upright and stumbled onto a nearby armchair. He spread his legs, dropped his elbows on his knees, interlaced his fingers, and rested his head in his joined hands. As he was steadying his breath, a foreign hand pressed into his shoulder.

"You okay, Raman?" Bala asked.

Raman straightened himself and cleared his throat. "Yeah, I'm fine... Or I will be in a bit..." he amended his words, knowing Bala was a lot more observant than he gave him credit for. Fortunately, he was kind enough not to comment on how not fine he really was.

"He's mad right now... But he didn't immediately shun me, so... I think we'll be fine in the long run. I'll work on talking with him again soon," Raman said.

"I'm happy for you Raman. I know this couldn't have been easy," Bala commented.

"Thanks for all your help Bala." Raman stood to face his brother-in-law. "I never properly thanked you for this. If it weren't for you, we'd never have known that Adi was back in town."

"Don't even think about it. It wasn't any trouble at all."

"I should get going now. I have to pick up Ruhi from her ballet class."

Raman shook hands with Bala and gave him a manly half-hug, half-pat on the back before he made his way towards the exit.

Bhalla House - 6:15 pm

"Mumma! Dadi! Guess what? I have no homework today!" Ruhi burst through the front door in her pink tutu and ambushed her mother and grandmother in the living room. Raman followed her closely, deposited his laptop bag on the side table, and slumped down on the armchair with a rough exhale. The day had been exhausting, and it was just about to get harder.

"Idhar aa mera puttar!" Toshi lifted Ruhi and cuddled her in her lap. "Kaisa raha tera dance class?"

"It was so much fun dadi! Today we learned..."

Raman watched his daughter narrate the events from her dance class and her day at school with joy. He was relieved to see her mood was much better than last week. 

"Wait, what do you mean you don't have any homework? You have math and reading every day, don't you?" Ishita asked, interrupting her daughter. 

"Yeah, but I finished my math homework in class today, and I'm done reading my chapter book," Ruhi answered. "I'm hungry. When are we having dinner?"

"Jaise hi tere bua aur chachu ghar aa jaaye, phir khaana khaane baithte hai, thik hai puttar? Sab kuch ready hi hai," Toshi answered. "Tab tak jaakar kapde badal aur haath muh dho le, jaa." 

Ruhi ran into her room, and Ishita turned her attention to Raman. They were sitting on opposite sides of the room, but she was eager to ask how his day was, especially his meeting with Adi. The opportunity arose when Toshi went into her room and Ishita moved closer to her husband.

"Kaisa raha, Raman? How did it go?" she asked, compassionately.

"Not as bad as I thought. He didn't really speak to me, but I expected that. He at least stood there and listened to me. He's... he's so big now, Ishita." Raman's eyes watered with nostalgia. "I mean I knew he must be so much taller and older now, but seeing it with my own eyes... I realized how much I had missed. For both my kids. I missed so many milestones for both of them. I just-"

"Raman, slow down." Ishita pressed a hand on Raman's forearm. "You're not missing any more milestones, right?"

"Right," A small smile crept up on Raman's face. "I gave him my card. If he wants to contact me, you know? I doubt that he does, but just in case... I'm going to meet him again next Wednesday. Hopefully, he'll be more open to talking more. We take it slowly. Eventually, it'll get better."

"That sounds great." After a pause, she asked what had been brewing in her mind for a while. "Raman, what if Adi tells Shagun he met you today? She's not going to react well."

"I know, but that is a chance I'm going to have to take. I didn't want to tell him to hide anything from Shagun. It would make him think that having a relationship with me was wrong. If he does tell her, we'll know by the end of the night. If the world doesn't erupt in flames, then we'll know he didn't."

"I'm proud of you Raman."

"Thanks for being by my side for this." Raman covered Ishita's hand with his.

"Always."

The front door chimed open and Romi and Rinki filed in, followed by Simi. 

"Mumma, look who we dragged to dinner!" Rinki cheered. 

"Simi, what a surprise!" Ishita exclaimed. Everyone got up to hug and greet her one by one. "What brings you here at this time?"

"Pulkit Ananya ko apni behen ke ghar le gaye hai playdate ke liye. And I love that woman, but I can't handle another night of her showing off. So I decided to stay home. But Rinki madam here-" She gave a gentle tug to Rinki's braid. "-decided to drag me along here for dinner."

"Okay okay, everyone get settled on the table then!" Toshi called out. "Bhalla ji! Come out for dinner! Look, all your kids are here!"

Omprakash came outside, delighted to have a meal with all his kids on one table. They were all situated shortly, as Toshi and Ishita served everyone their food.

"Romi, pass the salt, please," Rinki beckoned.

"What do you need extra salt in?!" Toshi bellowed, offended. "I tasted that gravy three times!"

"Mom, calm down. I had a workout today, so I'm low on electrolytes."

"Yeh sab angrezi mainu mat sikha! Chup chaap sabzi kha, maine perfect banayi hai!"

"Ruhi baby, you have to finish all the vegetables on your plate, okay? Ek aur roti doon?" Ishita asked, placing another roti on Ruhi's plate

"Bhai, I'm scared that Tej from the marketing team is going to quit. He's our best marketing guy, and he's being poached by Ashok's company," Romi told Raman.

"I'm not too worried about that. He knows the difference between real results and empty promises. But I'll talk to him at the next meeting. Remind me tomorrow."

"Okay, I think he's getting married soon, and his fianceé wants to settle down in Mumbai or something. Maybe we can offer a position in our Mumbai office?"

"That's a good thought, but we'd have to figure out a lot of logistics-"

"Bhai, Romi, enough both of you," Simi scolded. "No shop talk at the dinner table."

The family chatted and ate and bickered as the loud and boisterous group they were. As dinner came to an end, Raman's pulse quickened. 

"Mujhe jaana hoga abhi," Simi downed her glass of buttermilk and stood up. "I should get home before Ananya and Pulkit come back."

"Simi, wait. Sit down for a minute," Raman asked, tremulously. 

"What's wrong, bhai?" Simi sat down again.

"We need to talk." He cleared his throat. "All of us."

"Wow, I can't believe it," Simi muttered, shocked.

"This feels like deja vu," Rinki laughed without humor. "Six months ago, we found out that Ruhi was in the city, and now Adi..."

"Mera puttar... Mera Adi yahan hai, aur us... us Shagun ne humein bataya hi nahi..." Toshi hiccuped, tears streaming down her face. "Mujhe milna hai apne bacche se! Suna tune Raman! Main teri ek baat nahi sunungi! Tu mere puttar ko ghar lekar aa!" she demanded. 

"Ma, shaant ho jaao, please," Raman implored. "Main Adi ko aaj paanch saalon mein pehli baar mila hu. Use pehle mujhse comfortable hone dijiye. Phir main use dheere se aap sab ko bhi milaaunga. Aur ek din woh waapis ghar bhi aayega. Bharosa rakhiye, mujh par."

"Dadi..." Ruhi jumped off her chair and wiggled into her grandmother's lap. "Aap royiye mat. Papa ne mujhe promise kiya hai ki woh bhaiya ko ghar lekar aayenge." She gently wiped Toshi's tears. "Haina, papa?"

"Yes beta, I promise."

Ishita and Raman shared a meaningful look. Their daughter was truly growing up.

Khanna Mansion - 6:40 pm

"Adi, are you okay? Why haven't you eaten anything?"

Adi whipped his head up out of his trance as his mother's voice registered. His pasta and garlic bread grew cold in front of him but he couldn't swallow a single bite. 

"I'm fine, mom. Um... Hardik actually brought some snacks to tuition class today so I'm not very hungry."

"Who's Hardik?"

"He's my friend. I met him at-"

"SHAGUN!" Ashok screamed from upstairs, shaking the entire house. 

"Oh my god," Shagun groaned. "What does this man want now?" She stomped off up the stairs. 

Adi sighed. It was good enough that she didn't ask too much. He didn't know how to tell his mother that he met his father today. Not that he truly wanted to. It felt nice to have one connection to his father that his mother didn't taint. But he would feel just as guilty lying about it. So he figured that as long as his mother didn't ask him, he didn't have to say anything. 

He pushed his plate inward and stepped away from the dining table. He dug his hand into his pocket, as he made his way to his room, and his hand landed on that business card again. His father's business card. It wasn't until he was in his room with the door closed that he took out the card and stared at it for the 100th time today. He clutched it so tight, his knuckles turned white. Also for the 100th time today, he stood over the garbage can in his room, but his fingers would not let go of the card. As much as he wanted to throw away that card, and any connection to his father, he couldn't. So he slipped the card into his backpack, underneath his books and compass box, somewhere no one could find it. He didn't care for that man, he told himself. He was done with him. At least, that is what his mind said, but his heart didn't agree.