Vidyut Jammwal, asked about nepotism, “beggar knocking at car window’

GrumpyTheCat thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Vidyut Jammwal, asked about nepotism, compares himself to ‘beggar knocking at car window’

Actor Vidyut Jammwal, speaking about nepotism in the film industry, has compared himself to someone from a desolate field and a beggar knocking on a car window. Vidyut was recently put in the spotlight after his film, Khuda Haafiz, was excluded from Disney+ Hotstar’s virtual event.

In a snippet from a larger interview to BBC Asia Network, shared by Vidyut on his YouTube channel, the actor was asked about the nepotism controversy, specifically the Khuda Haafiz incident. He said, “It is difficult. Who said it is not difficult? You know how it feels when you’re not from the industry? Have you ever been in a car in India and there is a beggar knocking at the window?” He said that people like himself, ‘who come from outside the industry’, are sometimes considered invisible. “The only difference we need to make is not consider other people being invisible,” he said. 

He added, “Some fields are watered by the river. Some fields are dead. Someone who comes from the dead fields can’t be destroyed. I am that person.”

On the other hand, Vidyut also said that he loves nepotism. He said, “I believe in this whole thing of nepotism. I love nepotism. If you’re my friend and your son wants to be an actor, I will make sure that he becomes an actor. Otherwise, what am I your friend for? But, I will not stop somebody else. That’s the only change (we need to make).”

In June, Vidyut had written in a tweet that he hadn’t even been invited to participate in Disney+ Hotstar’s event, announcing seven films. Only five were given representation at the event. “A BIG announcement for sure!! 7 films scheduled for release but only 5 are deemed worthy of representation. 2 films, receive no invitation or intimation. It’s a long road ahead. THE CYCLE CONTINUES,” he wrote.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

“I believe in this whole thing of nepotism. I love nepotism. If you’re my friend and your son wants to be an actor, I will make sure that he becomes an actor. Otherwise, what am I your friend for? 

🤣 🤣...what did I say.....the outsiders will do nepotism...the day they can....aur lado outsiders ke liye...😆

He gave a very logical and practical reply...he won't snatch roles from others but he believes in nepotism....

AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

A very apt example. I reckon a struggler a complete outsider going to auditions after auditions/ visiting production houses day in and day out with his CV/portfolio must feel that way. The desperation is the same. 

Tinah thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I think its logical that if someone suffered and struggled to get a role, they won't want someone they know and love to go through the same thing. It's more favoritism than nepotism. Nepo means stars launching their own families. Like Aamir and SRK might do for their kids. Like Rakesh did with Hrithik.

Similarly, AB claimed he wasn't in a financial position to launch his own son as he was going through bankruptcy at that time. 

I think the focus should be on directors and producers because they have the power to decide who gets cast in their films. Of course, if its films of superstars and famous stars, the actors are the ones who decide but that's usually for their female co-stars!

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Aur kya kahenge yeh log? Vidyut wouldn’t want to be “banned” by most of the big producers like Kangana, hence he’ll say nepotism is ok, just like most outsiders 🙄

ffkhan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Vidyut's whole point loses it's credibility when he starts telling that "I Love Nepotism." His answers seemed way too much diplomatic. It was his perfect opportunity to be straight forward and blurt out whatever he wanted to, like he did weeks ago when he was not invited in Hotstar live session. But seems like now he is focused on joining the big league so that's why he is deliberately avoiding clash with the nepo gang.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Did anyone watch his movie even 😆