Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

All this debate abt good film bad film is subjective..u might find chichore a better film but it is possible some genuinely liked gully boy Better. I don’t think that’s ridiculous at all. Chichore was more emotional and gully boy more nuanced and subtle. It was technically brilliant (camerawork, sound design, production design) and had its moments as far as direction goes.

Personally I would have given it to shahid for ks.

Again, subjective opinions on who was better.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Shekhar Kapoor clearly explained in the debate the politics that went behind Gully Boy going to the oscars. Yeah despite that people can subjectively think it was a good films but there were better ones. I knew a conversation about the crappy film like Kabir Singh was going to digress the topic and it did.

Anyways I agree. Alia will always be the poster child for nepotism. For all the reasons the topic maker mentioned

Edited by grumpydwarf - 4 years ago
Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: grumpydwarf

I do think this is a time to revisit this debate with the nepotism question being opened in all. I think even if the movies were manufactored that is an unfair product of nepotism on its own. But the thing is people praise her to skies. If they praised he the amount that she deserved it would be another thing. Look how good of an actress Kokona Sen Sharma was. Or Manisha Koirala ? Despite being acknowledged for their talent (Alia isn't even at their level). They were never referred to as the Merly Streep of their times. Or they never had the honor of having Shabana Azmi comparing their performances to her own in Arth. In Highway and Dear Zindagi she was good for a newcomer. Give her the amount of praise she deserves.

In one of the current debates Shekhar Kapoor explains exactly how Gully Boy got the Oscar nomination. Shabana Azmi was once again on the jury. She is like the stepmother of Farhan and Zoya. He explained how many in the jury felt there were many other deserving films this Chichore included (NOT Kabir Sing. It wasn't a good movie period. I hope people don't digress the topic to whole another perspective by bringing that dumb film up.) Point being did Gully Boy have to sweep all the awards?? Ever since she has entered the industry she has one awards for HSKD, Highway, Udta Punjab, Dear Zindagi, Badri ki Dulhania, 2 states, Raazi among others. With this year Kalank not working. They wanted to hype her up with Gully Boy being the film of the year. Was it going to kill her to step aside and let someone else have the limelight for once? She couldn't have made a comeback next year?

It goes way beyond just getting good script after good script on a platter.

I have seen Marathi movies way above Bollywood in its content.

I think it’s tine for people to stop watching these mediocre Bollywood movies. Watch content driven instead of star driven movies,

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: pathaka

All this debate abt good film bad film is subjective..u might find chichore a better film but it is possible some genuinely liked gully boy Better. I don’t think that’s ridiculous at all. Chichore was more emotional and gully boy more nuanced and subtle. It was technically brilliant (camerawork, sound design, production design) and had its moments as far as direction goes.

The problem is Gully boy wasn’t 100 per cent original.

Even Barfi wasn’t. It’s like we are not even sending original content to an international platform.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

How many awards did Manikarnika win?

It was a Damn good movie.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

I have seen Marathi movies way above Bollywood in its content.

I think it’s tine for people to stop watching these mediocre Bollywood movies. Watch content driven instead of star driven movies,

Maybe if I understood Marathi movies I would. I watched Sairat with sub titles. I must say I liked it much better than Dhadak. It is not that I wouldn't like to. Ill stick to Hollywood. I know its not perfect. But at least bullies like Harvey Weinstein are held accountable. And they still audition established stars to see who is the best fit for the character. In Bollywood lobbying is done for roles by surname.

exactly...art is subjective...beauty is subjective...its not Math ki 2+2 will be 4 for everyone....KS was a much superior movie and Shahid Kapoor's acting was amazing IMO...it lost out due to the problematic way it was handled...if not Hritik's Super 30 was close enough.

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

exactly...art is subjective...beauty is subjective...its not Math ki 2+2 will be 4 for everyone....KS was a much superior movie and Shahid Kapoor's acting was amazing IMO...it lost out due to the problematic way it was handled...if not Hritik's Super 30 was close enough.

well if houseful 4 got best film I can see the outrage 😂 and perhaps it’s somewhat justified

But gully boy is good as a stand-alone film...did it deserve to go to oscars naah...maybe not even get all the awards...

But I ppl are behaving as if it’s a terrible film 😂

last year didn’t have a “clean sweep” or a definitive winner like dangal , Chak de...films that got critical and commercial success alike and chewed their competition alive...

So the few good ones we have , it’s debatable who “deserved it” more

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Um Chichore made more than twice the money as Gully Boy. It should have been a clean sweep if we are talking about the combination of box office success and critical acclaim. That is what made Dangal go for the clean sweep. It had even bigger box office collection. But still.

And it was original !

well if houseful 4 got best film I can see the outrage 😂 and perhaps it’s somewhat justified

But gully boy is good as a stand-alone film...did it deserve to go to oscars naah...maybe not even get all the awards...

But I ppl are behaving as if it’s a terrible film 😂

last year didn’t have a “clean sweep” or a definitive winner like dangal , Chak de...films that got critical and commercial success alike and chewed their competition alive...

So the few good ones we have , it’s debatable who “deserved it” more

This reminds me of the year when Sri was nominated for EV, Vidya for Kahani and PC for Barfi and I think Vidya won...there was a big fight on the forum...even though I wanted PC to win for Barfi because I thought she was amazing but so were Vidya and Sri...unnees bees ka fark tha...I was like calm down...its not like Katrina Kaif won...its Vidya..😆