Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I don't believe in avatars and stuff. Nor do I want people punished for being stupid.

But I do believe in karma. What good or harm we do eventually comes back to us. It will do Swastik as well.

Yes Swastik will have to face the consequences of their actions 

AliChase thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Well... well, well said, agreed with your every point. 

The Mahabharata is considered to be an authority in matters of State, government, polity, and philosophy. Even though it was written centuries ago, the political conflicts described therein resonate strongly with the events of today! There are numerous interpretations of the epic and the events that led to the Great War of Mahabharatha, but there is one particular incident that it is agreed proved to be the final blow in the rivalry between the Kauravas and the Pandavas -- the attempted disrobing of Draupadi.

When Draupadi protested against her disrobing by asking the Kauravas if it was Dharma to treat a woman in such a manner, Karna, a Kaurava ally, retorted that if a man loses himself in gambling, his master becomes the master of all his possessions, including his wife. He further told her that the ancient laws allowed a woman to go to only with four men with her husband's permission. Since Draupadi had been with five men, he said, she was a whore and public property, according to law. Hence, her disrobing was justified as it fell well within the bounds of law-- said by Karna!! 

There is no shortage of dilemmas in the Mahābhārata, however, one exceptional dilemma remains unresolved, a question unanswered even today. Did Yudhiṣṭhira have the right to stake Draupadī in the “friendly" game of dice after he had lost himself? And was she, therefore, slave to the Kauravas? No one resolved this dilemma presented in the earliest instance of the dice game! 

Criticism of Yudhiṣṭhira’s addiction, the silence or equivocation of the Kuru elders in the sabha and the inaction of Draupadī’s husbands at her ill-treatment causes indignation, but the censure is barely commensurate with the burden of guilt they might bear.

What factors facilitated the staking of Draupadī, her proposed slave status, and subsequent mistreatment? Namely, Yudhiṣṭhira’s failure as a husband, the inaction of the Kuru elders, the impotence of her husbands and the absence of Kṛṣṇa and Vyāsa from the scene.

Draupadī posed the ultimate dharmasaṅkaṭa issuing from the treatment of a lawfully wedded wife. Yudhiṣṭhira—authority on dhārma, son of Dharma—responds to his wife’s question in the gambling hall with catatonic silence. He says nothing, good or bad!!! 

Once she is lost in the game of dice , Duryodhana immediately asks for her to be brought and wishes her to be with the serving girls and sweep the chamber. 

Her first reaction is disbelief that her husband, a king no less, can stake his wife and she says Yudhiṣṭhira must have been stupefied in his intoxication for the game 

Ancient Indian literature, epics especially, abound with karmic consequences to explain the inexplicable. Sometimes, events are a result of actions from a previous birth, and sometimes in this very birth, but unknown to the protagonist or observer. Often, it is the curse of an irate sage.

The entire Mahabharaths is a political commentary on Kings and their ambitions, Kingdoms and boundaries, women as a showpiece, or a thing worth only to gamble, or a slave to use for fulfilling the lust,  or property to be won through a war!! 

Panchali waged a war on such atrocious outlook and tried her best to stand tall amidst this male unconquerable ego! 

This is the exact point I always try to emphasize. Draupadi was way way ahead of everyone in her thinking. Draupadi was by no mean an ordinary meek woman. To turn her into an abla naari was like the most annoying thing ever. Draupadi waged a war and demanded to have justice for what was done to her. Don't cover that up. 

I can understand that people think Krishna is all the great savior and all but just don't down play everything that Draupadi had achieved in Mahabharat. As if she didn't have enough problems in her life that now they doing this injustice to her. 

Like honestly, none of her achievements are shown properly at all. To think that everyone believes this is exactly Mahabharat is makes me severely annoyed. The big problem is that people who don't read the text see these kind of shows and believe it completely. 

If Draupadi was shown exactly as she was in Mahabharat, she is going to be one of the greatest idol for women. Especially now when it is so badly needed. 

I love how Krishna is and he's one of my favourites but I don't like how they shadow Draupadi to make him seem the greatest. 

None of the shows on Mahabharat show exactly how Karna humiliated Draupadi in the cheer-haran episode. Why are they white washing him? 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: AliChase

This is the exact point I always try to emphasize. Draupadi was way way ahead of everyone in her thinking. Draupadi was by no mean an ordinary meek woman. To turn her into an abla naari was like the most annoying thing ever. Draupadi waged a war and demanded to have justice for what was done to her. Don't cover that up. 

I can understand that people think Krishna is all the great savior and all but just don't down play everything that Draupadi had achieved in Mahabharat. As if she didn't have enough problems in her life that now they doing this injustice to her. 

Like honestly, none of her achievements are shown properly at all. To think that everyone believes this is exactly Mahabharat is makes me severely annoyed. The big problem is that people who don't read the text see these kind of shows and believe it completely. 

If Draupadi was shown exactly as she was in Mahabharat, she is going to be one of the greatest idol for women. Especially now when it is so badly needed. 

I love how Krishna is and he's one of my favourites but I don't like how they shadow Draupadi to make him seem the greatest. 

None of the shows on Mahabharat show exactly how Karna humiliated Draupadi in the cheer-haran episode. Why are they white washing him? 

This is not the only reason she waged war. She herself talks again and again about the duty of the powerful elite to make sure justice is served. She saw herself as part of that elite with the same duty to protect the weak. When that argument didn't work on the selfish lot, she used the victim argument. Ex: 1) her talk with Yudhishtira in beginning of Vana Parva 2) after Jayadratha  3) Keechaka incident with Virat and Bheema 4) Krishna (twice).

Plus, Krishna didn't do any saving in 1) dice hall where her own dharma saved her 2) Durvasa incident (not in canon MBh) 3) or Keechaka (she herself manipulated Bheema magnificently into killing Keechaka and Upakeechakas).

Also, she was the friggin finance minister of the empire and the citizen liaison! Vyasa has given incredible descriptions of how prosperous the place was. Yudhishtira, Vidura, and Suyodhana have acknowledged what she did in the empire in addition to Panchali herself listing her duties.

She was so practical that Yudhishtira once called her an atheist. 😆

That awesome force was reduced to an abla naari by Swastik's gang of clowns in not one but THREE shows! A generation is now under the impression she was nothing but Aryavarta Barbie, waiting for Krishna's help.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
AliChase thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

This is not the only reason she waged war. She herself talks again and again about the duty of the powerful elite to make sure justice is served. She saw herself as part of that elite with the same duty to protect the weak. When that argument didn't work on the selfish lot, she used the victim argument. Ex: 1) her talk with Yudhishtira in beginning of Vana Parva 2) after Jayadratha  3) Keechaka incident with Virat and Bheema 4) Krishna (twice).

Plus, Krishna didn't do any saving in 1) dice hall where her own dharma saved her 2) Durvasa incident (not in canon MBh) 3) or Keechaka (she herself manipulated Bheema magnificently into killing Keechaka and Upakeechakas).

Also, she was the friggin finance minister of the empire and the citizen liaison! Vyasa has given incredible descriptions of how prosperous the place was. Yudhishtira, Vidura, and Suyodhana have acknowledged what she did in the empire in addition to Panchali herself listing her duties.

She was so practical that Yudhishtira once called her an atheist. 😆

That awesome force was reduced to an abla naari by Swastik's gang of clowns in not one but THREE shows! A generation is now under the impression she was nothing but Aryavarta Barbie, waiting for Krishna's help.

Agreed. There are several things about Draupadi that most people don't know. I know so many of my friends don't like mahabharat considering all they know about it is from these TV shows. As long as they make it from simply religious perspective, they can't do justice to the characters. 

I have no hopes because it is impossible for anyone to show the exact Mahabharat that Ved Vyasa created without it hurting all these religious extremists. They can't digest the fact that a woman can be that great in the epics. They only want able naari who will be saved by the Gods and her pati vrata and stuff. 

Sutapasima thumbnail

Well... well, well said, agreed with your every point. 

The Mahabharata is considered to be an authority in matters of State, government, polity, and philosophy. Even though it was written centuries ago, the political conflicts described therein resonate strongly with the events of today! There are numerous interpretations of the epic and the events that led to the Great War of Mahabharatha, but there is one particular incident that it is agreed proved to be the final blow in the rivalry between the Kauravas and the Pandavas -- the attempted disrobing of Draupadi.

When Draupadi protested against her disrobing by asking the Kauravas if it was Dharma to treat a woman in such a manner, Karna, a Kaurava ally, retorted that if a man loses himself in gambling, his master becomes the master of all his possessions, including his wife. He further told her that the ancient laws allowed a woman to go to only with four men with her husband's permission. Since Draupadi had been with five men, he said, she was a whore and public property, according to law. Hence, her disrobing was justified as it fell well within the bounds of law-- said by Karna!! 

There is no shortage of dilemmas in the Mahābhārata, however, one exceptional dilemma remains unresolved, a question unanswered even today. Did Yudhiṣṭhira have the right to stake Draupadī in the “friendly" game of dice after he had lost himself? And was she, therefore, slave to the Kauravas? No one resolved this dilemma presented in the earliest instance of the dice game! 

Criticism of Yudhiṣṭhira’s addiction, the silence or equivocation of the Kuru elders in the sabha and the inaction of Draupadī’s husbands at her ill-treatment causes indignation, but the censure is barely commensurate with the burden of guilt they might bear.

What factors facilitated the staking of Draupadī, her proposed slave status, and subsequent mistreatment? Namely, Yudhiṣṭhira’s failure as a husband, the inaction of the Kuru elders, the impotence of her husbands and the absence of Kṛṣṇa and Vyāsa from the scene.

Draupadī posed the ultimate dharmasaṅkaṭa issuing from the treatment of a lawfully wedded wife. Yudhiṣṭhira—authority on dhārma, son of Dharma—responds to his wife’s question in the gambling hall with catatonic silence. He says nothing, good or bad!!! 

Once she is lost in the game of dice , Duryodhana immediately asks for her to be brought and wishes her to be with the serving girls and sweep the chamber. 

Her first reaction is disbelief that her husband, a king no less, can stake his wife and she says Yudhiṣṭhira must have been stupefied in his intoxication for the game 

Ancient Indian literature, epics especially, abound with karmic consequences to explain the inexplicable. Sometimes, events are a result of actions from a previous birth, and sometimes in this very birth, but unknown to the protagonist or observer. Often, it is the curse of an irate sage.

The entire Mahabharaths is a political commentary on Kings and their ambitions, Kingdoms and boundaries, women as a showpiece, or a thing worth only to gamble, or a slave to use for fulfilling the lust,  or property to be won through a war!! 

Panchali waged a war on such atrocious outlook and tried her best to stand tall amidst this male unconquerable ego! 

What a beautiful post Madhuri .. loved reading it .

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sutapasima

What a beautiful post Madhuri .. loved reading it .

Thank you Suta. Mahabharatha is not only an age-old Epic, it is a document on human history!😊

RainFire125 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

what the b******** are they showing these days???????? And how in heavens in this in any angle punarmilan??????????????? All these creatives need to be put in a mental asylum i think :( :(

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: RainFire125

what the b******** are they showing these days???????? And how in heavens in this in any angle punarmilan??????????????? All these creatives need to be put in a mental asylum i think :( :(

It is very late Gayatri🤗. If they want to do it, they should've done it at the beginning itself! 😲 At least we lived in peace all these months! 

They tore a beautiful garland into pieces and thrown it on our face, i.s the viewers' face! No maturity in Radha Krishna characters, no clearcut punishments for the sinners and insane people around, in simple words, there is no beginning or end, only a confusion, the entire serial is! 

RainFire125 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

It is very late Gayatri🤗. If they want to do it, they should've done it at the beginning itself! 😲 At least we lived in peace all these months! 

They tore a beautiful garland into pieces and thrown it on our face, i.s the viewers' face! No maturity in Radha Krishna characters, no clearcut punishments for the sinners and insane people around, in simple words, there is no beginning or end, only a confusion, the entire serial is! 

hey M 🤗 how have u been??

Looking at what they are showing now, i feel those 5 badhas were much better scripted!!! I know the whole story was unwantedly weaved, but atleast they had some logic. I would say they did not tear the garland, rather they burnt it and threw the ashes onto our direction!!!!

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: RainFire125

hey M 🤗 how have u been??

Looking at what they are showing now, i feel those 5 badhas were much better scripted!!! I know the whole story was unwantedly weaved, but atleast they had some logic. I would say they did not tear the garland, rather they burnt it and threw the ashes onto our direction!!!!

Fine Gayatri. 🤗Life is going on. Waiting for the vaccine to see the end of this pandemic. 😊 

Well said, that golok story, those badhas , this neverending Radha's influence on Krishna's family life , on  Mahabharatha war, they lost the essence of RK love behind and moved the story forward with the help of illogical discourses! 

Never expected this Gayatri, normally it's very difficult to spoil a story to this extent! 🤪