Paresh Rawal on why he thinks Ranbir Kapoor is like Naseeruddin Shah E

ajaajaa thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
The politician in Paresh Rawal is yet to be overshadowed by the actor. Clad in blue jeans and a loose shirt when I meet him at a five star hotel, it's evident that Rawal is on familiar turf. So what's his first love these days films or the Parliament? "Basically I am an actor so it has to be film sets, but these days I am enjoying my stint in a different way. The experience inside the Parliament is enriching. It helps one learn tricks of the world which helps me polish my craft as an actor, Rawal says, as we settle down for a chat.

People who have interacted with Paresh Rawal will vouch for his reserve. He hardly engages with people he does not know and intracting with the press seems to be anathema. The cumulative result is that he is perceived as a snob. Is the assessment true? "If I keep appearing in front of them (people and the press) on a regular basis, they themselves will get bored of me. Rest assured, I am not media shy. People who know me and are close to me know this well that I don't even have an iota of snobbishness. As far as perception goes, it's difficult to win over perceptions because that's not tangible. You can't please everybody, Rawal explains.

paresh-rawal759
Paresh Rawal. File Photo
Paresh Rawal has never looked back after he shot into the limelight with his menacing act in Arjun. He was handpicked for the role by director Rahul Rawail after seeing him perform in a play. Rawal, a gifted actor, excelled in virtually every role that was offered to him. He believes that this could happen only because he did not receive formal training from any school. He cites his villainous acts in Dacait, Kabzaa and Sir, which were all inspired from people he knew. "It's difficult for me to get into (the skin of) a villainous character who is an idiot. These days no one is scared of villains. Whatever make-up you apply or weapon you carry, people will never be scared of you. Behude lagte hai hum. If it's all about portraying a behuda character, might as well make it amusing, he reasons.

His upcoming film Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi has been compared to 2 States, but Rawal denies any similarities. He maintains that the film is a laugh riot and the Gujarati character that he plays is neither stereotypical nor caricaturish. The film also reunites him with Rishi Kapoor after almost 25 years. The last time the two shared screen space together was for Rajkumar Santoshi's Damini. So was there a moment when the passage of time hit home? "Never," says Rawal. "Those from the Kapoor clan are such large-hearted people. I never got this feeling that I am acting with him after such a long period. He is a straightforward man.

Currently he is also busy shooting for Sanjay Dutt's biopic. The very mention of his co-actor Ranbir Kapoor brings a twinkle to Rawal's eyes and it's fair to conclude that the younger actor has the veteran in thrall with his acting prowess. In fact, Rawal believes that Ranbir is in the same league as Naseeruddin Shah. "An actor is known by his choices and just look at Ranbir's choices. No one can dare stand in front of him. He recalls: "When I was acting with Ranbir in the Dutt biopic, I got a feeling which I had experienced when I was acting with Naseer Bhai during Sir 25 years back. There is an actor in front of you to whom you reacting. The feeling was surreal and it happened after 25 years.

Rawal is, of late, known for his acerbic tone on social media platforms. His Twitter account was in the eye of a storm when he mentioned Arundhati Roy in a tweets about Kashmir. Has his wife ever chided him to tone down his tweets? "She knows that there is no point chiding me but she also knows that I mean every word that I say or write on my social platform. I know that sometimes my style is acidic and harsh but during such cases it becomes impossible for me to keep things inside because of my anger.

Asking him a political question at this point is irresistible. Is Narendra Modi's demonetisation exercise a failure in the wake of the RBI's announcement that over 98 percent of the Rs 500 and 1,000 notes that had been invalidated were returned? "It's the media that's giving us the figure and I have yet to go through the official figures," says Rawal. "The final count is yet to be known and this will also be debated inside the Parliament. Perhaps it's only a matter of time then, before Paresh Rawal, the politician, leaves behind Paresh Rawal, the actor.

Published Date: Sep 12, 2017 06:53 pm | Updated Date: Sep 12, 2017 06:53 pm

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chudailpaapi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ranbir has really grown into really amazing actor. That part I agree. There is that spark in the way he reacts on screen. Still it is nice to hear from industry veteran like Paresh Rawal.

One of my biggest issue with current Bollywood is if things don't improve, many talented stars like Ranbir who can form bulwark of industry will leave. 😊
1125310 thumbnail
RK is a phenomenal actor. No doubt about that. He just needs to be more considerate & be more responsible towards his career!
I'm looking forward to his performance in Dutt & how he is going to carry the original persona of Sanjay.
Laviee thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Paresh really adore Ranbir it seems..but then Ranbir actually deserves all such praise.
1125310 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chudailpaapi

Ranbir has really grown into really amazing actor. That part I agree. There is that spark in the way he reacts on screen. Still it is nice to hear from industry veteran like Paresh Rawal.

One of my biggest issue with current Bollywood is if things don't improve, many talented stars like Ranbir who can form bulwark of industry will leave. 😊

Absolutely! πŸ‘

I was just blown away with his flawless performance in Tamasha! Special mention to all those scenes be it the confrontation with Tara for the first time after their breakup, the way he acted in that split personality scenes, even the scenes infront of his boss in the office, then those mirror scenes where talks to himself, then that one in the restaurant just before Agar Tum Saath Ho starts & last but not the least in the climax where he expressed his agony, pain, frustration and his own story what he wanted to become, that was the best part of the entire film. That scene really made me teary-eyed. The way he emoted in that scene. He explained the gist of the film through his story. I literally had goosebumps throughout the 2nd half whenever Ved appeared. RK is one of the very few male actors who brings tears in me eyes with his acting. He is an absolute brilliance & delight to watch him perform on-screen. 😎 He is an incredible actor for sure. Hope he continues delivering such outstanding performances even in future. πŸ˜ƒ
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rB156W_fRM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPd5ih9dw4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R3C3PKfl8Q[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHsbVDrAw04[/YOUTUBE]

I am sure he'll do justice to his role in Dutt like he always does in his every film but I wanna see how is gonna portray Sanjay Dutt, because its not an easy job to play someone like SD on celluloid.

But, one thing I'd like to say I would be heavily disappointed if R.Hirani tries to whitewash Sanjay Dutt's character or make him look like a sinless soul who's been wronged but kind at heart.

Edited by TheLastOutlaw - 7 years ago