Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rani1965 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Beautiful analysis. I didn't get to watch the beginning episodes. But after reading your analysis, I think I should. Thank you.
1357raksha thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
thank u for sharing this akka...
Coolpree thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dear Shyamala, I am delighted that your health permits you to post again. Hope your pain does not flair up again. While I am relieved it is not Rheumatoid Arthritis, an impingement at the C3-5 level of the spine is nothing to scoff about. The electrotherapy will help alleviate some discomfort but good posture, exs and avoiding bending over a computer for hours on end will be just as important. Wishing you good health always.
Your post as always was extremely interesting. The clash between two giants in Akbar's early life was fascinating. The views posted by other forum members about the difference between the two was also very interesting to read. Although, I do feel Maham was definitely the more dangerous one of the two.
Both were ruthless in their quest for power and their only standing in life was through Jalal. Without him they were nothing so it hardly matters to me if Bairam Khan was more loyal of the two. I do secretly wish he would have been kept in the show a little longer, just to see his reactions and interactions with the Ameri's and Jodha.

I am struck by your comparison of Maham with Catharine de Medicis and Lucrezia Borgia. The comparison with Catharine de Medici may have been more apt as both Maham and Catharine epitomized the Machiavellian personality : "the employment of cunning and Duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct" as defined by Machiavelli himself. However that's probably where the comparison might end because Catharine Medici in her quest for power was infamous for the abuse of her own children!! Who can forget her abuse of poor Queen Margot. Maham on the other hand did everything possible for her own son.

Lucrezia Borgia on the other hand I have more sympathy for as she was I feel just a pawn in the hands of her ruthless father and brother. In fact there is evidence that the account of the poison rings was just some of the stories that grew around her due to the awful reputation of the Borgia family. She did try to lead a quiet life with her third husband and bore him 8-9 children whom she remained devoted to ( infact did'nt she die delivering her last still born child?) until the end. Something I find very hard to see Maham doing...leading a quiet life without power that is.
harrybird thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Our Reaction to your Post !!!

Muahh !!!

Jallu's Reaction to your Post !!!

Jallu : Push ups are damn boring ! 😡 😡 😡

Jallu : I never thought Push ups would be this interesting ! 😳 😳 😳

Jallu : This is too much for me...😭 😭 😭

Jallu Prays to God ...😉 😉 😉

Our Reaction to Jallu 😆 😆 😆

Sher-E-Jallu or Billu-E-Ullu...

Single Pack or Six Pack...

Our Reaction to Jallu is always the same !

Aww...!!!

Ooh... !!! 😛 😛 😛

😆 😆 😆
Edited by harrybird - 9 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
My dear Donjas,

I cannot, I am afraid, match either your knowledge of or deep interest in matters military, but I must say the composite bow sounds like a fearsome weapon, a sort of medieval archer's equivalent of a modern LMG. I had no idea such a thing existed!

I will, despite my limited interest in such things, make it a point to watch the full Warrior Empire: The Mughals documentary, and even the other one on Babur and Akbar at Panipat, 30 years apart. But where does one access the TTC lectures?

Shyamala

Originally posted by: Donjas

This post is so fascinating to read. I have a lot of interest in all things military. If there are others who share my passion here are few more sources to interest you-
1 The YouTube link given in the above post was for a short section from the Episode Warrior Empire-The Mughals. The entire episode is worth watching especially the part on Composite bow. Imagine a horse archer with a composite bow riding so fast that his enemies can't catch him and firing 20 shots a minute.

2 TTC Lectures-Decisive Battles of World history. All the lectures are fun to watch but of our interest is Lecture No-17 Akbar and Babur at Panipat. Watch this in combo with the Lecture Series-Great Battles of the Ancient World, if you want more.

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Jalal's narnaal and Mughal musketry

Folks,

I had intended this to be a PS to the main post, but it apparently made the whole too large. So I am putting it as a separate post.

For those interested in the musket that Jalal uses in the first episode, here is some information about that and about Mughal musketeers in general.

The theory set out in the last para is very interesting, and ironic.

Shyamala/Aunty/Akka/Di

Military innovations

harshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Thank you, my dear Harshu. I agree completely with all that you have said here, though I am handicapped by your SMS language being, for me, tough to decipher at times. Can't you write in normal English, my dear, just for me?

Shyamala Aunty

</font>

ok aunty sorry for my short forms actually m so used 2 these short forms that m used 2 this... 😆 I will definitely write in full form for u... 😳
sashashyam thumbnail
Anjali, you imp! And all this because I called Jalal a very handsome khathe peete ghar ka ladka?
The You are not fat, you are fluffy reminded me of a quip Not fat but pleasantly plump!😉

Oh Lord, I shall die laughing, and it will be all your fault, you little wretch!

And thanks a ton for the reaction to my post section!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: harrybird

Our Reaction to your Post !!!

Muahh !!!

Jallu's Reaction to your Post !!!

Jallu : Push ups are damn boring ! 😡 😡 😡

Jallu : I never thought Push ups would be this interesting ! 😳 😳 😳

Jallu : This is too much for me...😭 😭 😭

Jallu Prays to God ...😉 😉 😉

Our Reaction to Jallu 😆 😆 😆

Sher-E-Jallu or Billu-E-Ullu...

Single Pack or Six Pack...

Our Reaction to Jallu is always the same !

Aww...!!!

Ooh... !!! 😛 😛 😛

😆 😆 😆

sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you so much, my dear. It is just that I am too old for such abbreviations, which I am sure your generation can make out in a trice. It takes me a while to decipher the meaning, and sometimes I cannot make it out at all!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: harshu27

ok aunty sorry for my short forms actually m so used 2 these short forms that m used 2 this... 😆 I will definitely write in full form for u... 😳

Thank you, my dear Harshu. I agree completely with all that you have said here, though I am handicapped by your SMS language being, for me, tough to decipher at times. Can't you write in normal English, my dear, just for me?

Shyamala Aunty

</font>

sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you so much, my dear Rani. I think that if you manage to watch the early episodes, you will find that it is time well spent. They were almost all good up to about Episode 150, and many of those were very good.

Shyamala (Aunty?)

Originally posted by: Rani1965

Beautiful analysis. I didn't get to watch the beginning episodes. But after reading your analysis, I think I should. Thank you.

sashashyam thumbnail
You are welcome, my dear Raksha, but where, my dear, are your comments? I do not mean to bug you, but if you did try and comment, not necessarily on my post, but on some aspect or aspects of the episodes themselves, I would be very pleased.

Shyamala Akka

Originally posted by: 1357raksha

thank u for sharing this akka...