Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

So-So thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Rainbow Reign Pride Participant 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 21 days ago

Akbar had a great fondness for camels, elephants, cheetahs, pigeons and - unusually - dogs. Badauni charged him because dogs are unclean in Islam. But he didn't care and took his favourite dog and his cheetah to court. His favourite dog was called Mahuwa (don't know if its this one in the pic) his favourite cheetah was called Samand Manik (source Ira Mukothy). The elephant Hawai known from the show was one of his favourite elephants, known for its wild and uncontrollable nature. He rode Hawai against the elephant Rana Bagha. The event is mentioned in Akbarnama. There's also a painting. The Akbarnama contains detailed records of his animals, their food and care. He was also very fond of the Ishqbazi, the pigeon flying. His first tutor, when he was a child in Kabul, was dismissed because of being too fond of pigeon flying and communicated his passion to Akbar.

lkdaswani thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 days ago

Had I known this fact...

Akbar's love for animals is a dead giveaway of what sort of a person he is.
I genuinely and very strongly believe that no man who cares for animals, who loves those without a voice and who are weaker than him can ever be a bad person.
I never did care much for Anant Ambani but the moment he opened VANTARA - ie, the moment I knew he loved animals to such a degree, I knew immediately what sort of a person he was and for that I respected him.

So to finish my unfinished statement from the top,
Had I known this fact that Akbar cared for animals to such a degree, no negative article or research paper would have managed to make me even think that Akbar may have been a bad person.

So-So thumbnail

I think we have to differentiate between the Empereor Akbar and the human Akbar. As a ruler, he wanted to expand his empire, which was probably on the minds of all rulers at the time. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he was just as harsh and cruel as a human being. His love of animals, literature and art, as well as his liberal way of thinking, tell a different story.

Here the painting of Akbar on Hawai pitting him against the elephant Rana Bagha (1561) from Akbarnama

And one with a cheetah at Akbar recieving Rahim after the murder of Bariam Khan (1561) from Akbarnama

So-So thumbnail

Today on August 29, 1604, 420 years ago, Hamida Banu Begum passed away. IshqHaiWoEsaahs has already mentioned it in a previous post. Akbar was in big grief and he an his courtiers shaved her moustaches, beards, hairs and eyebrowes (source Waqiyat-e-Asad Baig). Here's the text from Akbarnama:

AninditaB thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

It was indeed a distressing period for him. No wonder he couldn't live more after her death

So-So thumbnail

He must have grieved greatly over the death of his mother. She always supported him and surprised him on some of his campaigns or hunts. So many of his nine Navratnas and other companions had already passed away. Only Maan Singh, Rahim and Mulla do Pyaza were still alive. His rebellious heir Salim appeared before his father to offer his condolences. Akbar took him into custody for a few days. And forgave him. But the murder of Abul Fazl still lay between them. The behaviour of his rebellious son, the long-awaited heir, must have hit him hard. Perhaps his grief over all this ultimately caused his death.

AninditaB thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

It must have hit him hard that a son for whom he prayed all his life turned out disappointing. 7 years were a long period for both MUZ and Akbar in those days for being childless in their marriage and having twins dead for 5yrs. And yet their only son turned out rebellious and unworthy

Edited by AninditaB - 19 days ago
So-So thumbnail

The murder of Abul Fazl was a turning point. But the roots of this murder were laid decades ago. It is said that Abul Fazl harboured a hatred for Salim and constantly instigated Akbar to act against Salim's interests, whatever was its reason. Communication between father and son was not particularly good. Akbar never consulted with his children about political or personal matters but with his friends like Birbal, Aziz Koka, Abul Fazl, Faizi etc. He only communicated his decisions to his sons. The court was full of persons who enjoyed turning father against son or brothers against brother and enjoying the benefits of this enmity. Abul Fazl suspected Salim of poisoning Akbar when he fell seriously ill. Salim never forgot this and it ended with the murder of Abul Fazl. Akbar could not forgive Salim for this. It must indeed have been a great disappointment for him and also MUZ that the long-awaited heir rebelled against him. Seven years full of hope and prayers ended in disappointment.