Users

Frequent Posters

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
My dear Devki,

I am glad you liked this one.

As for Bairam Khan and Maham, I had written the following to Ela:

"But there is a huge difference between Bairam Khan and Maham. He does not really want anything for himself. He has no personal agenda. He wants only the relentless onward march of the Mughaliya Sultanat, of course on the path laid down by himself. Then again, he lacks deviousness. He is like a bull charging head first. This comes from his basic straightforwardness. Also, there is in him an inner core of nobility that makes his change of heart and surrender to Jalal in the end entirely credible.

I too feel sorry for him. He is a tragic example of what the Greeks call hubris, or overweening pride, laying a man low.

Maham has no trace of nobility in her make-up, and as for deviousness, at times murderous deviousness,that is in her DNA. She comes of the race of utterly ruthless women like Catherine de Medicis and Lucrezia Borgia, right down to the frequent use of poison in rings. She is driven always by her personal agenda, which is to advance Adham's fortunes. She is greatly handicapped by his stupidity and rashness, and Jalal is the son she would have wanted to have, but Adham is the one she has got, and she will never stop trying to push him, come hell or high water."

As for her thinking, out of blind maternal love, that Adham could be moulded into a passable ruler , I do not feel that she ever really thought he would get there. I think this You can become the Shahenshah was a kind of lollipop she extended one day just to keep Adham quiet. She did not mean it. But then he would not let go, and so she was dragged into trying to engineer a change of regime that would put him on top. She says, in the long scene with Jalal after the death of Adham, that he had always wanted what Jalal had, including the throne, forgetting that he was the son of a baandi.

No, what I meant in that Question was something different. How would Adham, the son of a baandi, ever be accepted by the Mughal nobles and the awaam as their ruler? It is a non-starter. Sharifuddin is at least married to Bakshi Banu, a Mughal princess and the Shahenshah's sister. Adham is a complete nobody.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: devkidmd

Thanks for another great analysis Shyamala Aunty.

I concur with many here that between BK and MA, BK is the better person. MA is an astheen ka saanp whereas BK just needed some early education on diplomacy and tact.😆
Even at this point in time, I really do not think MA loves Jalal. I have to disagree with you on that point.😔

BK realises that he is slowly losing control. Does not want accept the fact and that is why all the bluster and blabber.

Is it just me or with BK around MA has a more subdued facade? She is biding her time. Almost like she wants to keep a low profile and a tight rein on her emotions lest she make a mistake. She appears as if she is taking great care to highlight the contrast between herself and BK in front of Jalal.

As for your question about MA thinking that she can get away with putting Adham on the throne? I think it is just blind maternal love.😊
Most mothers feel like there is a genius hidden somewhere deep inside their sons(and daughters too) even though they might have proof to the contrary. I am guilty of that too...sometimes.😆

Maybe she dreams that he will blossom into this great ruler (😲)under her tutelage? After all, hope springs eternal.😊

The friendship between Jalal and Abdul is beyond cute. You are right, it was a big mistake to let go of that character. And the actor wasn't bad looking either.

You take care. Lots of TLC to self.

Devki

Edited by sashashyam - 9 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Donjas,

The more I see of you, the more I am struck by how thoughtful you are. Don't worry, I shall definitely look into the voice recognition software, though even after I have selected one, it will take a while before I get used to the wholly different way of getting my thoughts across, and it gets used to me! One plus point is that as a diplomat for 38 years, the last 15 of which as an Ambassador, I have always dictated my letters and reports, so that habit should be ingrained in me and will come back.

Shyamala

Originally posted by: Donjas

From the quality of your posts and the intricate details you go into while describing the motivations of characters, it is obvious that you are a born writer. You like to write. I believe you would even have had success as a best selling writer, if you wanted it.

That is why it will sadden me if your writing ability is curtailed. In my novice opinion that displaced vertebrae problem is similar to mine, a nerve got compressed and it is affecting parts of body in the extremeties. Just like my case. The long term solution is rest with whatever exercises the Doctor proposes. There is no way you should put any kind of stress on your hands or back.

But it will get better with time. This is not a disease, but an injury.

My earnest appeal is that you should seriously consider Voice recognition software. That is the long term solution to preserving productivity without exposing hands, back and eyes to too much stress.

Originally posted by: sashashyam

My dear Donjas,

I too am so glad to be back here; I really missed the place after a week of being away! I am better, and I hope this lasts, but the pain has now descended to my hands, especially the left one yesterday. If it had been the right one, I would not have been able to do this post at all, and I would have fallen further behind, so it was just as well!

Yes, the Jalal-Bairam Khan clashes are something to see, and they also presage a major shift in the way the Mughal empire was governed under Akbar. That is why I used the word tectonic, and not titanic. I wanted to convey the sense of tectonic movements underground, like the earth's plates shifting, movements that would usher in major changes.

As for Maham, her sense of timing and her unbelievable deviousness are both phenomenal. Your 4 stages for her modus operandi are spot on. Especially the no frontal attack part, and her emphasis on never leaving her fingerprints on any of her devious deeds.

Shyamala

sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Lavanya,

The hamaam scene between Jalal and Ruqaiya I was one of Rajat's best pieces, and Smiley seconded him superbly. The gentleness in his eyes as he is apologising, and the warmth and sincerity with which he assures her of his lifelong attachment to her were wonderful to behold. She is handicapped by her lack of voice modulation - everything comes out in one flat monotone like Katrina Kaif's facial expressions - but she did her best and the vulnerability showed.

As for Maham vs Ruqaiya, it is rigidly low key saas-bahu stuff, nothing very new in that. Maham is helped a lot by Jalal being so kaan ka kachcha. He should never have dragged either Ruqaiya or Bairam Khan to the DEK. Even a subordinate is best scolded in private, there is then no sense of public humiliation that rankles and becomes a nasoor, and one gets the thing better sorted out. He displays a Pavlovian reflex, with Maham pushing his right buttons. So Maham' s success is directly due to Jalal's folly.

It is the same with Bairam Khan. His pride and refusal to bend before his pupil play into Maham's hands. With a more subtle and devious opponent, Maham would have had a much harder time of it.

I loved the bit in blue. Perfect.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: Sabdabhala

I DO FULLY AGREE WITH YOUR "COMING OF AGE" ANALYSIS, AUNTY, BUT, FOR ME, THE BEST PART OF EPISODES 16-21 WAS EPISODE 16

THERE WAS HARDLY A SCENE IN THAT EPISODE DURING WHICH I BREATHED EASY, IT WAS GRIPPING TO THE CORE, AND THEN SOME. I CHEWED OFF ALL MY NAILS BY THE END OF IT

AND THIS EPISODE BELONGED TO MAHAM FIRST, WITH JALAL RUNNING A CLOSE SECOND. AND MAY BE EVEN RUKKAIAH, A FAR THIRD

MAHAM WAS THE MASTER OF THE GAME. HER SMOOTH SNOOPING ACT OF RUKKAIAH'S HOJRA, HER AGITATION WITH RUKKAIAH'S ATTITUDE AND HER IMMEDIATE INSTRUCTION TO RESHAM TO FINISH ZAHEER OFF, HER LOW TONAL VOICE WHEN SHE SNEAKS ABOUT RUKKAIAH TO JALAL IN DWK DISPLAYING THE SHOE THAT WAS FLUNG ON HER, HER ALMOST MURDEROUS ONE- SECOND LOOK THAT SHE GIVES TO RUKKAIAH IN DWK, HER ALMOST CONDESCENDING LOOKS THAT SHE GIVES TO BAIRAM KHAN, HER COMPLETE NON CHALANCE WHEN RUKS OVERHEARS HER OWNING UP TO ZAHEER'S MURDER - UNBELIEVABLY WELL PERFORMED AND EVEN BETTER CAPTURED. EACH NUANCE THAT SHE SUBTELY EXHIBITS SEEMS TO ADD YET ANOTHER LAYER TO HER PERSONA. WOAH!!!

NOBODY, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY COULD STAND A CHANCE WITH THIS MAHAM.

JALAL WAS BRILLIANT TOO - HIS. WILLIAM TELL-ISH APPROACH OF PRACTICING NISHAANEBAAZI. HIS TELLING OFF HIS KHAN BABA AND RUKKAIAH IN PUBLIC AND IMMEDIATELY REPENTING HIS ACT, HIS HEARTFELT APOLOGY TO RUKKAIAH IN THE HAREM. AT THIS MOMENT HE IS LIKE A FLEDGLING, DARING TO FLY, YET A BIT SCARED TO BE OUT FROM THE WINGS OF KHAN BABA, AND IT IS PORTRAYED TO PERFECTION.

TODAY, SMILEY CONVINCED ME SO SO SO COMPLETELY THAT HER LEAVING WAS A HUGE HUGE LOSS. HER HAMAM SCENE WITH JALAL WAS AWESOME - THE POISE, THE DIGNITY. SHE WAS ABLE TO CONVEY HER DISPLEASURE TO JALAL THROUGH SHEER SUBTELTY. UFFF NOW WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO APPRECIATE HER SUCCESSOR :)

I EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR TAKE ON THE FARIDA-JALAL-HAMIDA-RUKKAIAH SCENE OF EPISODE 21. I REALLY LIKED THAT SCENE TOO.

BUT PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME. NO HURRY. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON

sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you, my dear Harshu. I agree completely with all that you have said here, though I am handicapped by your SMS language being, for me, tough to decipher at times. Can't you write in normal English, my dear, just for me?

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: harshu27

superb aunty loved ur description of evry cahractr as I said it earlier...I loved jalal's attitude his body lang his firmness dialogs evrythng wen he was in DEK facing BK he dint hesitate evn slightly while dealing wid BK no matttr wat evn if he was his ataliq...its truly said dat we n a king sits on d throne he hs 2 b just in his justice witty and intelligent while judging and passind d judgment wen he is on d throne no relations shold faulter hia tghts whthr its his mom siblings fathr or ny dear ones and I loved dis attitude shown by jalal here...2 gd really amazing...srry aunty unfortunately my like button is nt wrking so I cnt clik like... 😕 alos luvd d info abt artillery of Mughals whch u hav provided...waiting 2 read more frm u... 😃 😳

sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Mayuri,

What a lovely name! I am sure you are just like your name, chanchal and colourful!

I am so glad that you like my analyses and interpretations so much, and that you will stay with us as we proceed. I too have read many of Abhay's well researched posts with great interest; he is truly passionate about it, and that is what matters.

As for the CVs going that route, my dear, that would be a non-starter. Any such sensible, sensitive, and historically at least partially accurate show would never run. Ekta knows her onions, and natakiya rupantar is the name of the TRPs game - just take a look at what they are doing to the other great monarch of ours, Ashoka, in the Colors Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat ! But I only wish Jodha Akbar had not deteriorated so fast and so much.

Affectionately

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: sanrajfan1

Hello Shymlaantie,

Loved Loved loved your insightful take on the episodes. when ever I read your posts, I get even a deeper understanding of the episodes. I look forward to your posts always.
Your questions of whys ...I have always found so needed. Wish the CVS would write like you and research for the episodes like History_geek does.!!!
Because of you two, I am more into the jodha Akbar show and history.
I hope you are feeling better and please take care of your health.
Lots of Love.
Mayuri

Edited by sashashyam - 9 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Ashwinee,

Your poor girl, flu is so debilitating. Not just watering eyes, you must be very tired too. Take it easily for a bit, so as not to invite a relapse.

The point you have made is an interesting one. I too have thought about it at times, till, that is, Jalal too started shedding his layers. Then I stopped thinking about it! 😉

It is not just now that Jodha seems unilayer, like the good bahu in the serials. She remained like that vis a vis all but Jalal for a long, long time. By the show had become a farce, what with the mirchi war, the Salim-Anarkali non-track, the chudail one and,the worst being saved for the last, the British traders track, so it hardly mattered. There were some charming old shoe love scenes between them, but that was about it.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: Ash67

Dear Shyamala aunty,

Loved this one and the previous one as well. Sorry to hear about the pain you were/ are going through. And sorry also about this delayed response. Just coming out of a severe bout of flu.

Not that I have anything to add to your brilliant posts but I know they deserve more than a click of the like button. So hoping to write more, later, when my eyes can look at the screen without watering!

Just one thing here, the contrast in the portrayal of Agra and Amer lives is so striking it feels as if literally two different backstage teams are dealing with the two. Is it simply to portray the differences in Jodha and Jalal's lives? The lack of layers in one and the overabundance of layers in the other makes one wonder. Was it the perception of the l level of difference in the actors' skills that made them give one so much to say and the other so much to do? I have always felt that such imbalance in character development and portrayal initially for Jodha and then for Jalal and almost everyone else was extremely harmful to this wonderful serial.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward to the next one.
Warmest regards

Khushi_love thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Donjas

I am so happy to see your opinion because your background gives you a unique and different perpective that we don't have. In this case however, I must disagree with you.

Both Bairam Khan and Maham have a lot of affection for Jalal, Bairam Khan proved it by refusing to fight. Maham will show her love too later on, but this is an all possessive kind of love, which will take no competitors. In this poisonous love even Jalal's child is a rival , and so is anyone who comes close to him like Jodha. She wants Jalal all to herself, on her own terms.

If Maham killed Jalal's unborn babies, it wasn't because she wanted Jalal all to herself...if it was so, she would have first killed HB & Ruqaiya...

She killed his babies because she did not want any contenders for the throne which she wanted for Adham... (how, only her diseased mind knew)...all she ever wanted from Jalal was

1) the powers which the emperor's badi ammi got
2)some devious manipulations to usurp Jalal's throne for Adham...

Of course, this I concur in hindsight, having watched the later epis.
jayaks02 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Brilliant write - up on Artillery and Armed forces maintenance.
What one thinks as their strength later becomes their weakness. Even for Large Organizations like military, it can hold good !!!!
Will have to come back, for I have a different take on Maham and Bairam Khan.
But extremely interesting discussions and view points. 😃
sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you, my dear Sri. I look forward to your detailed comments. But have you seen the episodes?

Shyamala Akka

Originally posted by: jayaks02

Brilliant write - up on Artillery and Armed forces maintenance.

What one thinks as their strength later becomes their weakness. Even for Large Organizations like military, it can hold good !!!!
Will have to come back, for I have a different take on Maham and Bairam Khan.
But extremely interesting discussions and view points. 😃

Donjas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Jalal's narnaal and Mughal musketry

Folks,

I had intended this to be a PS to the main post, but it apparently made the whole too large. So I am putting it as a separate post.

For those interested in the musket that Jalal uses in the first episode, here is some information about that and about Mughal musketeers in general.

The theory set out in the last para is very interesting, and ironic.

Shyamala/Aunty/Akka/Di

Military innovations

Akbar was accorded the epithet "the Great" due to his many accomplishments, among which was his record of unbeaten military campaigns that both established and consolidated Mughal rule in the Indian subcontinent. The basis of this military prowess and authority was Akbar's skillful structural and organisational calibration of the Mughal army.The Mansabdari system in particular has been acclaimed for its role in upholding Mughal power in the time of Akbar.

Organisational reforms were accompanied by innovations in cannons, fortifications, and the use of elephants. Akbar also took an interest in matchlocks and effectively employed them during various conflicts. He sought the help of Ottomans, and also increasingly of Europeans, especially Portuguese and Italians, in procuring firearms and artillery.Mughal firearms in the time of Akbar were far superior to anything that could be deployed by regional rulers, tributaries, or by zamindars.[

Such was the impact of these weapons that Akbar's Minister, Abul Fazl, once declared that "with the exception of Turkey is perhaps no country in which its guns has more means of securing the Government than [India]."The term "Gunpower Empire" has thus often been used by scholars and historians in analysing the success of the Mughals in India. Mughal power has been seen as owing to their mastery of the techniques of warfare, especially the use of firearms encouraged by Akbar.

The Matchlock

Gunpowder was introduced to India as early as the 13th century, with artillery and early firearms being employed in warfare shortly thereafter. It was the 16th century Mughal Empire, however, which introduced the matchlock musket and began both producing and using firearms on a truly massive scale, revolutionizing Indian warfare. The army of Emperor Akbar, for example, maintained a force of some 35,000 musketeers. India during this time became one of the world's great musket manufacturers, with Indian matchlocks being renown for their quality.

The descendants of these medieval Indian gunsmiths are actually still around today, and continue to churn out muskets. Here is nice clip on their beautiful products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DTfEDaWMj4o

This was the tufang. Akbar introduced many improvements in the manufacture of the matchlock. The barrels of Akbar's matchlocks were of two lengths, 66 inches and 41 inches. They were made of rolled strips of steel with the two edges welded together.

The matchlock barrels were covered with elaborate damascened work, and the stocks were adorned with embossed metal work or with various designs either in lacquer, or painting, or inlays of different materials. The stocks were at times adorned with embossed and engraved mounts in gold, or the butt had an ivory or ebony cap. When not in use, matchlocks were kept and carried about in covers made of scarlet or green broadcloth.

Mughal musketeers: Mughals also used musketeers to maintain their authority. Babur began his career with a scant musket bearing force of just over a hundred men, but by the time of Akbar, over 35,000 musketeers existed in the Mughal military. One reason for this was that, despite the cost of their weapon, the musketeers were actually less expensive than garrisoning cavalry forces. The expense of feeding the man and his horse grossly exceeded that of a musketeer. Thus, a small but trained force of musket wielding troops allowed the Mughals to assert their authority in even the most remote provinces. This was also possible as, for several decades, the nobility were forbidden to recruit their own forces of musketeers. At the same time, this mass force of troops with firearms undermined the Mughals. As the matchlock became ubiquitous, its cost dropped, but it also was deemed very reliable by those using it. Thus, even when other technologies came into the region, like flintlock muskets, the Mughals failed to adopt them due to economic reasons as well as the matchlock's popularity.

Unforeseen side-effects: While firearms aided the process of centralization, it also played a role in undermining the Mughal's authority. Because of the affordability of matchlocks and the relative simplicity in gaining expertise with them, one did not have to train for years to be a warrior. Ultimately this let to the diffusion of firearms into the general populace and resistance to central authority. Beginning in the late-sixteenth century, not only political rebels, but even peasants opposed to tax collection acquired firearms. As domestic tensions grew, the widespread use and manufacture of matchlock muskets played a role in the breakdown of central authority, and the Mughals, despite several innovative attempts, failed to halt the eventual balkanization of their empire.

This post is so fascinating to read. I have a lot of interest in all things military. If there are others who share my passion here are few more sources to interest you-
1 The YouTube link given in the above post was for a short section from the Episode Warrior Empire-The Mughals. The entire episode is worth watching especially the part on Composite bow. Imagine a horse archer with a composite bow riding so fast that his enemies can't catch him and firing 20 shots a minute.

2 TTC Lectures-Decisive Battles of World history. All the lectures are fun to watch but of our interest is Lecture No-17 Akbar and Babur at Panipat. Watch this in combo with the Lecture Series-Great Battles of the Ancient World, if you want more.
Edited by Donjas - 9 years ago